QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Dec 27 2010, 07:38 PM)
Your story sounds a lot like mine; I experienced a yellowish to clear discharge that stained my underwear accompanied by a pungent odor, it wasn't fishy though, more musty and strange smelling. I consistently tested negative for every test I did. I assumed I had bacterial vaginosis because of the odor but I didn't have bacterial vaginosis. I finally saw a specialist [Dr. Stewart] and I tested positive for a non-albican yeast called c.parapsilosis (probably spelled that wrong). Not that I'm implying that you have a non-albican yeast, but it could be something else that's causing your symptoms. I used boric acid and it went away, later on down the line I developed random inflammation and used cortisone suppositories for it. That also went away.
Describe the odor your experiencing. I think by now, even if the gynecologists you were seeing were inexperienced, bacterial vaginosis is too common to misdiagnose. Have you ever tested positive for bacterial vaginosis? If you haven't then that explains a lot. You should consider getting checked for other things. When I was experiencing my vaginal issue, I cut out refined carbohydrates and sugars and my symptoms improved but I didn't stay on it because it was somewhat difficult at the time. I was constantly craving bread, brownies, apple pie, and sour patches and easily gave into my cravings. If sugar and carbohydrates flare up your symptoms, you should also consider that you can't break down sugars and carbohydrates. There's a disorder called Fructose Malabsorption which can cause pelvic odors in women because the sugar that isn't absorbed releases a gas. Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) can also cause a pelvic odor for the same reason, sugar and carbohydrates don't break down releasing a gas. I still need to get tested for that since sugar and bread has always caused my symptoms to get worse.
I've made some permanent dietary changes for general health reasons. I cut out all added sugars, including high fructose corn syrup, glucose, fructose, maltose ... anything that rhymes with gross. I also cut out refined carbohydrates since they break down into sugars in the digestive tract. I don't eat meat. I eat whole foods, I still drink coffee with cream and no sugar. I discovered the sugar I add to my coffee is a culprit. I've gotten used to reading labels so I know for sure there isn't anything funky in the ingredients list.
People with TMAU go on a choline-free diet which is very restrictive. Eating foods with choline can flare up their symptoms causing their body odor to intensify. When I think of the low choline diet, I realize how easy I have it when it comes to my own dietary choices. I cut out a lot of junk from my diet but I still have a lot of options. There are many cookbooks out there for healthy recipes, gluten-free options, sugar-free baking, vegan or vegetarian ... the list goes on. I can eat healthy and not worry about what the food is doing to my health.
I continue to find growing evidence that there are dietary connections to bacterial vaginosis. Although in the past many women on this very forum have been offended that I mention that idea, and they felt I was insulting their lifestyle choices, which I wasn't of course. There was one really on-point study linking bacterial vaginosis to trans-fats/unhealthy fats. Lack of vitamin D was also highly publicized on how it can increase the risk for developing bacterial vaginosis. Vitamin A is essential for maintaining healthy vaginal cells. Just recently I found a study that states folic acids effects on vaginal health and intestinal health. It's in another language. If you think your vaginal odor is diet related then making healthier eating choices should help.
Do you think the birth control pill your taking is causing the odor? I did hear of women starting certain birth control pills, rings, and IUD's and it caused an odor.
1. I have been diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis a few times
2. I have not been diagnose with anything on my last 3 visits
3. I haven't taken birth control pills in over two years, just stopped, got lazy, kept forgetting when to take them
4. my discharge is a whitish creamy yet see through color (if that makes sense)
5. The smell isn't fishy yet musty with a garbage smell sometimes,very strange too
6. I live off cokes, and fruit juices, and I love chocolate covered turtles, and jolly rancher bubble gum
7. I have an appointment tomorrow at a clinic and I am going to be firm about what I have been experiencing and what I need.
8. I might go back on birth control to settle the monstrous blood clots during the first 3 days of my period
9. Sometimes my BV flares up terribly when I sit in a seat for a very long time ex. at the hair salon, under the dryer, or at school. When I get up all you see is wet spots, I hate that so much, why me!!!!!!
10. I can stand to lose 15 lbs, I lost 5 lbs already I think, it'll be confirmed by my appointment tomorrow
11. Have been given boric acid a couple of times and my va-jay-jay turned into the incredible Hulk or something.
12. I heard with antibiotics and other suppositories that it will get worse before it gets better, but I know my body, I know what is going to work and what is not, so far nothing has worked, I am hoping this nurse can really hear me out and get to the bottom of this thing.
Thanks for reading and responding to my post Swt, love reading your feedback. Let you know how everything goes tomorrow.