Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
swt simplicity
QUOTE(jularee @ Jan 13 2011, 10:15 PM) *
Just wanted to share a bit of encouragement. smile.gif

I have been completely BV free for the past month and have not had to do any maintenance whatsoever. The regimen I followed was to finish an entire box of Dr Ohhira's Probiotics (just 1 because they're a bit too expensive for me), drink tons of water, eat less sugar and keep fingers, unwrapped winkies and anything else out of my vagthat may throw off my flora lol. I also bought all new cotton underwear. All things that we already know to do, but honestly I never actually followed through with it. Shame on me.

So far things are great. I'm having sex (protected and unprotected) and the smell doesn't return. I had a few days of spotting (I have a Mirena IUD so this constitutes my period) and all was fine and dandy afterwards as well. I'm so happy!! I really hope that this is the end of this long and embarrassing struggle.

I'll keep everyone updated! ***fingers crossed***

I'm so glad you posted an update on your status biggrin.gif I was personally wondering how well those probiotics work considering their so expensive. I've heard good things about them and it's great that they work for you. Maybe someone who is in the same situation as you can try them and it'll work. Wow! Your bacterial vaginosis must really be gone if you can have unprotected sex without any flare-ups. It's good your not doing any overwhelming daily routines.

I plan on reading up on those probiotics. They've been recommended on a few health shows in the past, so they must be good.
konphusion26
Hey lovies, I'm not sure if anyone has ever suggested this. But look into liquid grapefruit seed extract. I'm having some yeasty issues and just bought some. But I have read that grapefruit seed extract is an excellent antimicrobial/anti bacterial/antifungal, etc. here's a lil linky grapefruit seed extract

and iherb.com

or you can google it for more info.

Let me know how it works for you. I'm about to go take my first dose now. Blessings!
swt simplicity
QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Jan 14 2011, 08:57 PM) *
Hey lovies, I'm not sure if anyone has ever suggested this. But look into liquid grapefruit seed extract. I'm having some yeasty issues and just bought some. But I have read that grapefruit seed extract is an excellent antimicrobial/anti bacterial/antifungal, etc. here's a lil linky grapefruit seed extract

and iherb.com

or you can google it for more info.

Let me know how it works for you. I'm about to go take my first dose now. Blessings!

I've done some research on it and it definitely does have antimicrobial properties. How do you plan on taking it?
konphusion26
QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 15 2011, 07:51 AM) *
I've done some research on it and it definitely does have antimicrobial properties. How do you plan on taking it?

*gse=grapefruit seed extract*

Again, I suggest before buying/trying this that you research it for yourself. It may not work for everyone.

I bought the liquid kind, so I'm going to be mixing it with juice (its extremely bitter!!)! I also plan to try a vaginal rinse - although I know douching is bad. I have read on many sites though that douching with diluted GSE as well as taking internally by mouth will clear up an infection within a few days.

DO NOT TAKE UNDILUTED! Even diluted in juice or water, the taste is NOT pleasant ladies. I just want to warn you in advance. You will probably not ever get used to the taste of it. But if you can get past that, it may actually work pretty well. Just follow up with your Femdophilus or whatever probiotic you use for vag health after you begin seeing results.

Alot of my research was done on sites devoted to women, also sites done by midwives, etc. So if this stuff is safe to use during pregnancy, it should be just fine if you're not preggo.

melis19750
so I have been doing a lot of research on vaginal pH etc;

It seems that from much of what Im researching- products with glycerin can cause yeast over growth and irritation leaving the vagina imbalanced. Im not sure how true- untrue this is... but sooo many products have glycerin.
and guess what RePhresh has glycerine
so does Replense

I did find another product claiming to help with vaginal issues Luvena Prebiotic Vaginal Moisturizer which has no glycerine in it.

sheesh even my omega fatty acids have glycerin. and im using a great one

here is some info i found: http://www.livestrong.com/article/87361-gl...ast-infections/

Glycerin

Glycerin is used to provide preservation and sweetness to many processed foods, including low-fat commercially baked foods, candy and fudge. It is also used in cosmetics and personal lubricants to provide preservation and for its humectant qualities, used to draw moisture to the skin. It is derived from the chemical element glycerol, an alcohol, and glycerin is the byproduct of either animal or plant sources. (In the 1800s when candles were made of animal fat, glycerin was a byproduct of candle-making.)
Avoid Glycerin in Foods

To help avert yeast infections, many gynecologists advise staying away from a diet rich in refined sugar. Yeast in the vagina feed off of sugar, so any access to excess sugar provides a possible food source for the already present yeast. Not only is too much sugar a risk for yeast infections, but it is also hard for the body to digest and can lead to obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Sugar can be found in more places than people think; all-purpose enriched wheat flour is one of the most common ingredients in commercially processed foods. The "wheat" in this ingredient is only part of the actual grain, the part that breaks down in the body exactly as raw sugar. Whole-wheat flour and products are best for avoiding yeast infections and for overall health.
Avoid Glycerin in Lubricants

Many gynecologists warn if women are already susceptible to recurring yeast infections, they should steer clear of personal lubricants containing glycerin. Since it is processed exactly as sugar in the body, and applied directly to the vagina, it is assumed vaginal yeast benefits from its addition. If women do not get frequent yeast infections experts say using lubricants with glycerin is okay; KY Jelly, the No. 1 brand in America, is full of glycerin. Some people may be more sensitive to glycerin's effects than others.
Glycerin is found in most water-based lubricants, but there are some water-based brands free of glycerin. The other choice, silicone-based lubricants, do not contain glycerin, but many complain about the bad taste and dislike their resistance to water for cleaning.
Glycerin-Free Lubricants

Although the popular brand KY contains glycerin, other big brands like Astroglide make a glycerin-free version. Simply check the ingredients listed on the back of water-based lubricants for glycerin.Natural lubricants that have stood the test of time are extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/87361-gl.../#ixzz1BMiVzRlE

melis19750
BTW
be very careful when using grapefruit seed extract.

You need to make sure you get the liquid form- as my doctor stated the pill form contains other additives
as well as... if you use it make sure to take a good probiotic along with it.

However I will say this much on it
when I have overgrowth of group b strep many years ago
I tried GSE for it... and did it as my OBGYN directed. It did NOTHING for the strep.

I ended up having to use ampicillin instead.

Personally for yeast infections- treating them naturaLLY
I found these products work well- CANDEX (2, twice daily as directed)
as well as either Candigone by renew life taken with the candex
or Gaija herbs candida cleanse taken along with candex

both work great!
I had a bit of candida overgrowth intestinally after using tindamax, (figured it out by white coated tongue and some anal itching) and used all of those products
as well as fem dophilus along with another good refrigerated probiotic from the vitamin shop
a new womens raw probiotic/prebiotic formula.

now my only issue is some vaginal irritation off and on
but all and all im better
no more infections
and feeling pretty much back to normal

I think the "balance activ" really damaged my vaginal tissues and its been healing since
its def better now

I also use SLIQUID fragrance free vaginal wash
or "sweet spot unscented"- which does have some glycerin but in small amount and doesnt seem to bother me
swt simplicity
While on the topic of refined sugar and wheat products, I want to mention that healthier alternatives to eating refined carbohydrates like white breads would be barley bread and rye bread. There's actually a claim by the USDA scientists that "barley bread could reduce obesity levels." You can view the article (here). Barley is said to balance blood glucose levels. Another option is rye bread. An article titled "White Rye Bread Healthier Than Whole Wheat?" will explain why. And, there is also the option of oats too.

These are just a few healthier options for anyone who has a hard time totally cutting out refined carbohydrates but still want to make healthier choices.

P.S. Read labels carefully for hidden sugars and check to see if the product is labeled "gluten-free".
melinda7
Hey, just wanted everyone to know that I am doing well. No flare ups. I did use BA a few times last week, but maybe even longer ago than that.

I was taking a probiotic -- the one I mentioned made by my local shop that seems to help in general. But I actually ran out about a week ago and I'm ok.

I'm at a loss for why this is. It's like a miracle or something, because I can't tie it to anything. I've been eating whatever, even sugar at times. Weird.

Maybe I had a hormonal imbalance and they've gotten back into balance on their own somehow. blink.gif That really doesn't happen so I have no idea.

I'll be going back on the probiotics when I go to buy them and will rotate with a different one I read about. I've given up on Fem-D pills and think they are worthless. I still have some sitting in my fridge. I don't want to take them bc I don't want to change anything I'm doing. I have no idea how long this will last but I don't have BV right now.

I actually think the musty odor is something else -- foot sweat because I could seriously never tie it to my privates..
melis19750

Melinda
so BA never caused you any irritation?
odd it happened to me- but not you???

QUOTE(melinda7 @ Jan 20 2011, 10:38 PM) *
Hey, just wanted everyone to know that I am doing well. No flare ups. I did use BA a few times last week, but maybe even longer ago than that.

I was taking a probiotic -- the one I mentioned made by my local shop that seems to help in general. But I actually ran out about a week ago and I'm ok.

I'm at a loss for why this is. It's like a miracle or something, because I can't tie it to anything. I've been eating whatever, even sugar at times. Weird.

Maybe I had a hormonal imbalance and they've gotten back into balance on their own somehow. blink.gif That really doesn't happen so I have no idea.

I'll be going back on the probiotics when I go to buy them and will rotate with a different one I read about. I've given up on Fem-D pills and think they are worthless. I still have some sitting in my fridge. I don't want to take them bc I don't want to change anything I'm doing. I have no idea how long this will last but I don't have BV right now.

I actually think the musty odor is something else -- foot sweat because I could seriously never tie it to my privates..

melinda7
QUOTE(melis19750 @ Jan 21 2011, 06:16 PM) *
Melinda
so BA never caused you any irritation?
odd it happened to me- but not you???

Nope, none. Did you use a gelatin 00 capsule? And did you use the right BA? There are some that aren't pure BA but are sold as roach killers. That's not the right one. It has to be pharmaceutical grade.
melis19750
QUOTE(melinda7 @ Jan 22 2011, 09:50 PM) *
Nope, none. Did you use a gelatin 00 capsule? And did you use the right BA? There are some that aren't pure BA but are sold as roach killers. That's not the right one. It has to be pharmaceutical grade.

OH DUH you meant boric acid. ha ha funny. I thought you meant "BA= Balance activ"

yeah I never had problems with boric acid. But I supposedly do not have any issues with yeast. all my cultures come back negative for everything.

however, ever since i used that balance activ I seem to be more sensitive on the exterior of my vagina
and have been prescribed hydro-cortisone cream 2% to use for a few days. not sure if its helping

I dont seem to have discharge or any odor
so i think its just simply irritation

I switched to unscented lotion and unscented/sensitive skin dove
all are glycerin free- as Ive been reading glycerin can cause yeast infections

I am however going to try sliquid vaginal wash (for exterior only) which is pH balanced and glycerin free =)

I dont seem to have irritation that much on the inside of my vagina
just a little at the opening and more exterior

I even use unscented arm and hammer laundry detergent
and no fabric softner

ahh so boring
hopefully i can figure out what works

but i do have some boric acid capsules on hand that my OBGYN had made up for me to use incase of a yeastie beastie
which i really dont think i will get

and i have been BV free since October 2010 (so 4 months now)

I take fem d every day, folic acid/ b-12 combo from trader joes
vitamin d-3 from trader joes

another probiotic- RAW garden of life probiotic/prebiotic combo for women
and a good omega 3/6 flaxseed/borage oil combo (its cold and comes in the fridge)

I was taking a different omega that is good- it also came in the fridge in some yummy flavors
but they add glycerin to it, so decided to try a glycerin free one...

and i also did a yeast detox with candex and candigone by renewlife
i still use candex for maint.

=)
melis19750
hey sweet- what happened to your blog about omegas?? I wanted to read it again and see if the new omega im taking is on that list. The old one i was taking was- but it has glycerin in it, so i stopped using it
melis19750
has anyone heard of this product- luvena prebiotic vaginal moisture
sounds interesting

http://www.luvenacare.com/
melinda7
BA is also used for BV. There are studies proving it works and they use it in persistent BV.

Balance Activ was junk. I used it once. It may be good if you tested your PH and knew you needed it.

I don't use GOL products. I used to but have found out they have mold from independent tests and studies and they also don't list ingredients clearly but say "Proprietary Blend." There's no way of knowing how much is in there etc. Don't know about the women's formula....Ive found out over the years that most probiotics are a scam.

QUOTE(melis19750 @ Jan 23 2011, 12:37 PM) *
OH DUH you meant boric acid. ha ha funny. I thought you meant "BA= Balance activ"

yeah I never had problems with boric acid. But I supposedly do not have any issues with yeast. all my cultures come back negative for everything.

however, ever since i used that balance activ I seem to be more sensitive on the exterior of my vagina
and have been prescribed hydro-cortisone cream 2% to use for a few days. not sure if its helping

I dont seem to have discharge or any odor
so i think its just simply irritation

I switched to unscented lotion and unscented/sensitive skin dove
all are glycerin free- as Ive been reading glycerin can cause yeast infections

I am however going to try sliquid vaginal wash (for exterior only) which is pH balanced and glycerin free =)

I dont seem to have irritation that much on the inside of my vagina
just a little at the opening and more exterior

I even use unscented arm and hammer laundry detergent
and no fabric softner

ahh so boring
hopefully i can figure out what works

but i do have some boric acid capsules on hand that my OBGYN had made up for me to use incase of a yeastie beastie
which i really dont think i will get

and i have been BV free since October 2010 (so 4 months now)

I take fem d every day, folic acid/ b-12 combo from trader joes
vitamin d-3 from trader joes

another probiotic- RAW garden of life probiotic/prebiotic combo for women
and a good omega 3/6 flaxseed/borage oil combo (its cold and comes in the fridge)

I was taking a different omega that is good- it also came in the fridge in some yummy flavors
but they add glycerin to it, so decided to try a glycerin free one...

and i also did a yeast detox with candex and candigone by renewlife
i still use candex for maint.

=)

melis19750
you know though, since using Fem-dophilus I literally have been free of group b strep over growth for over 4 years.. I had it persistently before using fem d for about 6 years- it was horrible.
so i can definitely testify fem d worked for me. I used it orally and vaginally about once a week. (removing it from its capsule and sticking it in a gelatin one)
i think its also keeping my bv under control.

Ive used GOL products before and never had any issues. but ill keep that in mind about the mold.
the raw probiotic is newer.... and someone i know started using it and said it really balanced her intestinal flora- so far it seems to be doing that for me. I have "regular bowel movements" now- lol tmi i know

but i think we all should share what works/ doesnt work for us... it can probably help us all
and your right about balance activ- i got a full refund from the company. I even wrote a review about how i disliked the product- and the company DELETED my review- as well as another negative review that was currently on their review board.
They only kept one neg review up which was very "bland" and very little description
so it seems to me that they are marketing a product that really isnt very helpful and not letting consumers see real results. Who knows how many other not so good reviews were deleted?!?!

But i will never again use balance activ

QUOTE(melinda7 @ Jan 23 2011, 12:11 PM) *
BA is also used for BV. There are studies proving it works and they use it in persistent BV.

Balance Activ was junk. I used it once. It may be good if you tested your PH and knew you needed it.

I don't use GOL products. I used to but have found out they have mold from independent tests and studies and they also don't list ingredients clearly but say "Proprietary Blend." There's no way of knowing how much is in there etc. Don't know about the women's formula....Ive found out over the years that most probiotics are a scam.

swt simplicity
QUOTE(melis19750 @ Jan 23 2011, 12:40 PM) *
hey sweet- what happened to your blog about omegas?? I wanted to read it again and see if the new omega im taking is on that list. The old one i was taking was- but it has glycerin in it, so i stopped using it

I deleted a couple of posts that I wasn't satisfied with for whatever reason. I didn't even bother saving them since I felt they were kind of disposable or circumstantial. I still have the link to the omega 3 blog I referred to in my omega 3 post. The blog is called "Omega Via - Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil." You should bookmark it on your computer for later reference . Dr. Oz actually recommends omega 3 as one of the five supplements that women should be taking on a regular basis to meet "five daily nutritional needs". I can imagine you'll have a hard time finding a good quality pharmaceutical grade fish oil supplement that doesn't contain glycerin. Most of the supplements I take contain it. With all of the precautions your taking, I don't think small traces of glycerin will affect you. Good luck finding what your looking for!

QUOTE(melinda7)

Melinda, can you post links to these studies?
swt simplicity
This post doesn't have to do with bacterial vaginosis or vaginal health.

Melis, you mentioned that you used to have a white coating on your tongue and you thought it was yeast and you've visited a naturopathic doctor and you took digestive enzymes among other things ... I was just reading up on ancient chinese medicine and I was reading the tongue chart and it says, "The Chinese herbalist says: This reflects the state of the digestive system. If the tongue lacks coating, it means the stomach enzymes which break down food in the digestive system are not functioning properly. The coating of the tongue should be thin and white (source)." The website is kind of circumstantial and the person didn't word the sentence properly but for the most part, a thick tongue coating is in relation to improper digestion. And I've also been reading how people with eczema can also have improper digestion ... that's a whole other thing.

What did your naturopath say about the digestive enzymes helping with yeast? Even though this is ancient Chinese medicine, if this is true, then it really ties together a lot of things that I've experienced.

melis19750
wow sweet thats so interesting

actually my naturopathic doc gave me a whole remedy-
so the enzymes were def part of my therapy along with candex and candigone
I will say the white coating has diminished... its still slightly white- but i suppose a more normal range like what you wrote it should be.... thanks for sharing that

as for as the enzymes i used... i cant remember the name, but it was by standard process
and standard process brand can only be sold at chiropractors, naturopathic docs, mid midwives, any MD who uses both western medicine along with natural med.

in fact my OBGYN who is an MD sells homeopathic remedies along with juice plus suppliments and standard process
prob cuz im in california- and this field seems to be huge in natural med
=)

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 24 2011, 04:45 PM) *

Melis, you mentioned that you used to have a white coating on your tongue and you thought it was yeast and you've visited a naturopathic doctor and you took digestive enzymes among other things ... I was just reading up on ancient chinese medicine and I was reading the tongue chart and it says, "The Chinese herbalist says: This reflects the state of the digestive system. If the tongue lacks coating, it means the stomach enzymes which break down food in the digestive system are not functioning properly. The coating of the tongue should be thin and white (source)." The website is kind of circumstantial and the person didn't word the sentence properly but for the most part, a thick tongue coating is in relation to improper digestion. And I've also been reading how people with eczema can also have improper digestion ... that's a whole other thing.

What did your naturopath say about the digestive enzymes helping with yeast? Even though this is ancient Chinese medicine, if this is true, then it really ties together a lot of things that I've experienced.

melis19750
so i found the most amazing product for vaginal moisture/ lubercation

I bought it from drugstore.com

Pjur womens body glide

as most of you read- after using balance activ back in November
it irritated my skin on the external vaginal area so much that it still has been healing
well i received my Pjur, stuck some on the area that was irritated, immediate relief
and no adverse reaction

my tester was to first put a small drop on my finger and put some on my lips (facial area)
than taste it
no taste, no acidity, no nothing
its literally free of anything bad for your vagina
its amazing

and the bonus- if your sexually active, it is rated one of the best lubricants

I kept hearing about a few others... but this one got the best reviews so i had to try it for myself

happy happy customer here
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp70257_1_4/pjur...g=4&tab=1#1
melis19750

sweet
by the way love your new blog
about http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2495/

super interesting. makes me question if eating yogurt is such a good idea
hopefully this doesnt happen often with yogurt

and when it comes to sex, i guess using a condom is really a must to help with BV even when your married or in a monogamous relationship where both people test negative for all std's, hiv, etc;

although i gotta admit i really love my fem dophilus
and i got $25 back from vitaMIN SHOP THIS YR
YAY

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 24 2011, 04:45 PM) *

swt simplicity
QUOTE(melis19750 @ Jan 24 2011, 05:57 PM) *
wow sweet thats so interesting

actually my naturopathic doc gave me a whole remedy-
so the enzymes were def part of my therapy along with candex and candigone
I will say the white coating has diminished... its still slightly white- but i suppose a more normal range like what you wrote it should be.... thanks for sharing that

as for as the enzymes i used... i cant remember the name, but it was by standard process
and standard process brand can only be sold at chiropractors, naturopathic docs, mid midwives, any MD who uses both western medicine along with natural med.

in fact my OBGYN who is an MD sells homeopathic remedies along with juice plus suppliments and standard process
prob cuz im in california- and this field seems to be huge in natural med
=)

I'm curious to know why you chose a omega 3 and 6 combination rather than a plain omega 3. What brand have you been taking?
melinda7
QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 24 2011, 12:33 PM) *
I deleted a couple of posts that I wasn't satisfied with for whatever reason. I didn't even bother saving them since I felt they were kind of disposable or circumstantial. I still have the link to the omega 3 blog I referred to in my omega 3 post. The blog is called "Omega Via - Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil." You should bookmark it on your computer for later reference . Dr. Oz actually recommends omega 3 as one of the five supplements that women should be taking on a regular basis to meet "five daily nutritional needs". I can imagine you'll have a hard time finding a good quality pharmaceutical grade fish oil supplement that doesn't contain glycerin. Most of the supplements I take contain it. With all of the precautions your taking, I don't think small traces of glycerin will affect you. Good luck finding what your looking for!
Melinda, can you post links to these studies?

Hmm, I don't know. I researched it last summer. I can look for them by doing a google. I didn't bookmark. My OB/GYN knew about them already -- I go to a teaching hospital so they know a lot of new stuff.

If I find them I will link them.
melinda7
Here's one.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/714690

Just do a google of recurrent BV boric acid
swt simplicity
QUOTE(melinda7 @ Jan 25 2011, 03:18 PM) *
Here's one.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/714690

Just do a google of recurrent BV boric acid

Most of the research out now on treating bacterial vaginosis with boric acid states its not very effective. Dr. Stewart even states in her book that boric acid alone can only treat the hallmark of bacterial vaginosis, once the suppositories stop, the symptoms come back. And it makes sense when you think of it since bacterial vaginosis is an overgrowth of the bad bacteria, boric acid comes in and kills everything it touches, but it's not reestablishing an environment where the good bacteria can grow, but actually kills it. It would make sense to use boric acid along with another form of treatment, like it was in that study you linked to above, to allow the good bacteria to reestablish itself.
melinda7
QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 26 2011, 07:52 PM) *
Most of the research out now on treating bacterial vaginosis with boric acid states its not very effective. Dr. Stewart even states in her book that boric acid alone can only treat the hallmark of bacterial vaginosis, once the suppositories stop, the symptoms come back. And it makes sense when you think of it since bacterial vaginosis is an overgrowth of the bad bacteria, boric acid comes in and kills everything it touches, but it's not reestablishing an environment where the good bacteria can grow, but actually kills it. It would make sense to use boric acid along with another form of treatment, like it was in that study you linked to above, to allow the good bacteria to reestablish itself.

Yes, but ALL treatments that are effective for BV do that.
melinda7
QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 26 2011, 07:52 PM) *

Do you have links to the research that says it's ineffective?
melis19750
sweet
what kind of candida did you get diagnosed with before? My doctor thinks I have Candida Glabrata...

She prescribed me terazol to use

im a little scared about this being its a non albican
and all my lab results before came back neg for everything

today she swabbed me- normal ph
and she looked under the micro scope and saw the candida glabrata species
she is sending it off to the lab to be sure

but ive never had that before
i was prompted to go in because the irritation wasnt completely going away
so i buckled down and went in
=(

anyone ever have this before?
melis19750
QUOTE(melis19750 @ Jan 27 2011, 03:51 PM) *
sweet
what kind of candida did you get diagnosed with before? My doctor thinks I have Candida Glabrata...

She prescribed me terazol to use as well as 14 days of boric acid once daily
and told me i could use either or

im unsure which would be best at a cure rate
any advice?

=(

swt simplicity
QUOTE(melinda7 @ Jan 27 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Do you have links to the research that says it's ineffective?

The truth is, there is barely any research on boric acids effect on bacterial vaginosis. The only fact I have on boric acid's effect on bacterial vaginosis is from Dr. Stewart's book. What Dr. Stewart says specifically in her book is,

"Another method being studied is the use of boric acid capsules. In Chapter 10, I noted that they are a great treatment for yeast. Boric acid also has a strong antibacterial action that can wipe out the hallmark overgrowth of BV. Unfortunately for now, this treatment involves sticking in a vaginal capsule (600 mg) two or three times a week. If you stop, the BV may come back."

I've also researched the boric acid treatment for bacterial vaginosis on the National Institute of Health's database and couldn't find anything conclusive, or anything at all really. I know there are some clinical trials that are being done with just boric acid, but I have no idea if the researchers will bother posting up any articles after the trials have been done.

Judging by the facts I have come across, boric acid should help with bacterial vaginosis. No studies say it's ineffective, yet no studies have suggested it's a cure either. In a years time, there could be more research on it.

Mfc10 had success using a special formulation of acidophilus and boric acid inserted into a suppository. She didn't make them herself, she had them compounded by a chemist.
swt simplicity
QUOTE(melis19750 @ Jan 27 2011, 04:51 PM) *
sweet

She prescribed me terazol to use

=(

I had an overgrowth of c. parapsilosis. My vulvo-vaginal specialist did notice other yeasts but she made it pretty clear that it was c.parapsilosis that dominated. Yeast can grow in any pH. I've learned that through experience; I always came in with a normal pH, everything looked fine at first glance, yet from a microbial perspective things weren't normal. Non-albican yeast is a pain sad.gif The odd thing is, when ever I got swabbed while I was mensturating, the non-albican yeast would be back, I'd do another course of boric acid until finally I was put on long term treatment. Maybe hormonal patterns caused the left over yeasts to overgrow and repopulate. Estrogen does feed yeast after all, I think that goes for non-albican yeasts as well.
melis19750
ive been reading non albican yeast can be caused by over use of diflucan. I think thats what happened to me. On my first yeast infection 6 months ago i was given diflucan to take every 3 days for 2 weeks.
Than again given it to take after using tindamax to prevent a YI.

I think I prob have had this non albican yeast the entire time, it just never tested positive

its weird because the symptoms are different than albican yeast
rarely little to no symptoms, sometimes a slight irritation or itch
and my discharge is pretty much normal looking- except a little more on the white side

anyhow sweet- Im curious
how long did you use your boric acid treatment- can you be specific????

I would love to know
did you use it 2 times a day or just once at bedtime
how many weeks? Than for long term suppression what did you do with it?

I am currently on BA- so far 3rd day- and it seems to be helping
(Lets pray)
but i plan to do 2 weeks once at bed time
than 2 times a week for another few weeks at bedtime (sunday and wed)
I also started taking coconut oil- extra virgin 1 tbs 3-4 times a day
which im reading is GREAT for candida

as well as capric acid 3 times a day
and pro-biotics of course
and no carbs- no sugar

i wanna make sure i get over this
as Im reading non albican yeast can be dangerous
melis19750
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/P...pdf/9812253.pdf

very interesting and promising on boric acid and yeast
swt simplicity
QUOTE(melis19750 @ Jan 29 2011, 11:23 AM) *
ive been reading non albican yeast can be caused by over use of diflucan. I think thats what happened to me. On my first yeast infection 6 months ago i was given diflucan to take every 3 days for 2 weeks.
Than again given it to take after using tindamax to prevent a YI.

I think I prob have had this non albican yeast the entire time, it just never tested positive

its weird because the symptoms are different than albican yeast
rarely little to no symptoms, sometimes a slight irritation or itch
and my discharge is pretty much normal looking- except a little more on the white side

anyhow sweet- Im curious
how long did you use your boric acid treatment- can you be specific????

I would love to know
did you use it 2 times a day or just once at bedtime
how many weeks? Than for long term suppression what did you do with it?

I am currently on BA- so far 3rd day- and it seems to be helping
(Lets pray)
but i plan to do 2 weeks once at bed time
than 2 times a week for another few weeks at bedtime (sunday and wed)
I also started taking coconut oil- extra virgin 1 tbs 3-4 times a day
which im reading is GREAT for candida
as well as capric acid 3 times a day
and pro-biotics of course
and no carbs- no sugar

i wanna make sure i get over this
as Im reading non albican yeast can be dangerous

After I was diagnosed with having a non-albican yeast overgrowth, I was prescribed boric acid suppositories to do for 14 days at bedtime only. I was told not to insert them while I was menstruating, so I planned accordingly. After this course of boric acid was done, I would come in for a follow up appointment to see if the non-albican yeast was gone. I was supposedly free of non-albican yeast after my first round of boric acid suppositories. I went back in a couple of weeks later since I started getting the same symptoms again, although not as bad prior to me taking my first course of boric acid. Even though I was experiencing symptoms, no non-albican yeast was detected. Then by chance I went in while I was menstruating because I didn't bother canceling my appointment since getting an appointment with Dr. Stewart takes months. At the time I was so desperate, I scheduled my appointment as soon as I could possibly see her. Dr. Stewart only comes in three time a week to her practice because she works at a university, and at a hospital, along with working at her practice. She did say that I could come in at any time when my symptoms were at their worst, but my pride wouldn't let me do that since I would feel desperate and embarrassed. I guess that didn't matter anyway since I was feeling desperate and embarrassed every time I went in for my appointment. She works with a nurse practitioner who is way more available, but of course I would rather see who ever is the most experienced and who I'm more comfortable with. So, I came in and told her I was menstruating, and she said that she would do the exam regardless.

I got a letter in the mail a week later with my results stating that there was non-albican yeast detected. I actually still have this letter. As soon as I got the letter, I scheduled an appointment, making sure I was not menstruating at the date of the appointment. Since her schedule was so packed, I had to see the nurse practitioner or consequently wait this absurdly long amount of months to see Dr. Stewart, so I was like "what the heck" and scheduled an appointment with the nurse practitioner. The nurse practitioner was up-to-date with my medical history and worked closely with Dr. Stewart and knew exactly what was going on. She said that she was going to put me on a long term treatment and gave me a prescription for boric acid again. I don't remember exactly what she said, but she instructed me to take them every other night, then the next week decrease it to three times a week, and the next week twice a week, then later, once a week. It was something like that. After my course was done, I would come in again for a follow up exam. I went in after many months and I was non-albican yeast free. And, I continue to be non-albican yeast free with each exam. With all of the boric acid suppositories that I did, there's not a doubt in my mind it must've killed every bad microorganism, yeast, non-albican yeast, and God knows what. I actually came in one day and Dr. Stewart said she didn't even see lactobacilli under the microscope.

Vaginal non-albican yeast is getting very common these days. I wouldn't say a non-albican yeast infection is dangerous, but it's a pain. It's dangerous for people with poor immune systems that have diseases like HIV/AIDS. Most people's immune systems can fight it off since it's pretty minor although highly resistant.
melis19750
sweet- thank you sooo much for that

It def put me at ease. I think Im going to ask my doctor for a refill on Boric Acid to use longer only if needed. I dont wanna have to keep going back in and paying another co-pay if i dont have to. My co-pay is $30...
quite pricey

but i have read so many positive results with people using boric acid the way you explained to take care of non albican yeast. I wonder if anyone else in here has had it??

How did you get your lactobacillis bacteria back into your vagina after BA usage? did you just use fem dophilus

I recently discovered this coconut milk pro-biotic/ pre biotic with live active cultures in henreys market place (much like a whole foods or jimbos)

it tastes great, only 3 grams of sugar
made mostly of coconut and live active cultures.... =)

Im drinking at least once a day, and taking fem d

as well as pretty much eating a "green diet" with healthy protein

im gonna get the yeast connection book too
=)

thanks again for your input!

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 29 2011, 04:45 PM) *
After I was diagnosed with having a non-albican yeast overgrowth, I was prescribed boric acid suppositories to do for 14 days at bedtime only. I was told not to insert them while I was menstruating, so I planned accordingly. After this course of boric acid was done, I would come in for a follow up appointment to see if the non-albican yeast was gone. I was supposedly free of non-albican yeast after my first round of boric acid suppositories. I went back in a couple of weeks later since I started getting the same symptoms again, although not as bad prior to me taking my first course of boric acid. Even though I was experiencing symptoms, no non-albican yeast was detected. Then by chance I went in while I was menstruating because I didn't bother canceling my appointment since getting an appointment with Dr. Stewart takes months. At the time I was so desperate, I scheduled my appointment as soon as I could possibly see her. Dr. Stewart only comes in three time a week to her practice because she works at a university, and at a hospital, along with working at her practice. She did say that I could come in at any time when my symptoms were at their worst, but my pride wouldn't let me do that since I would feel desperate and embarrassed. I guess that didn't matter anyway since I was feeling desperate and embarrassed every time I went in for my appointment. She works with a nurse practitioner who is way more available, but of course I would rather see who ever is the most experienced and who I'm more comfortable with. So, I came in and told her I was menstruating, and she said that she would do the exam regardless.

I got a letter in the mail a week later with my results stating that there was non-albican yeast detected. I actually still have this letter. As soon as I got the letter, I scheduled an appointment, making sure I was not menstruating at the date of the appointment. Since her schedule was so packed, I had to see the nurse practitioner or consequently wait this absurdly long amount of months to see Dr. Stewart, so I was like "what the heck" and scheduled an appointment with the nurse practitioner. The nurse practitioner was up-to-date with my medical history and worked closely with Dr. Stewart and knew exactly what was going on. She said that she was going to put me on a long term treatment and gave me a prescription for boric acid again. I don't remember exactly what she said, but she instructed me to take them every other night, then the next week decrease it to three times a week, and the next week twice a week, then later, once a week. It was something like that. After my course was done, I would come in again for a follow up exam. I went in after many months and I was non-albican yeast free. And, I continue to be non-albican yeast free with each exam. With all of the boric acid suppositories that I did, there's not a doubt in my mind it must've killed every bad microorganism, yeast, non-albican yeast, and God knows what. I actually came in one day and Dr. Stewart said she didn't even see lactobacilli under the microscope.

Vaginal non-albican yeast is getting very common these days. I wouldn't say a non-albican yeast infection is dangerous, but it's a pain. It's dangerous for people with poor immune systems that have diseases like HIV/AIDS. Most people's immune systems can fight it off since it's pretty minor although highly resistant.

swt simplicity
QUOTE(melis19750 @ Jan 29 2011, 08:01 PM) *
sweet- thank you sooo much for that

It def put me at ease. I think Im going to ask my doctor for a refill on Boric Acid to use longer only if needed. I dont wanna have to keep going back in and paying another co-pay if i dont have to. My co-pay is $30...
quite pricey

but i have read so many positive results with people using boric acid the way you explained to take care of non albican yeast. I wonder if anyone else in here has had it??

How did you get your lactobacillis bacteria back into your vagina after BA usage? did you just use fem dophilus

I recently discovered this coconut milk pro-biotic/ pre biotic with live active cultures in henreys market place (much like a whole foods or jimbos)

it tastes great, only 3 grams of sugar
made mostly of coconut and live active cultures.... =)

Im drinking at least once a day, and taking fem d

as well as pretty much eating a "green diet" with healthy protein

im gonna get the yeast connection book too
=)

thanks again for your input!

My co-pay is $10 with the insurance I'm on, but my main issue is the synchronicity of scheduling appointments at the right time. That can be overwhelming. If you live in the Boston area, I would suggest checking out the Harvard Pilgrim Health Care insurance. And also suggest seeing Dr. Stewart too, but if you don't live in the MA area, that would be difficult.

I don't think anyone else on here has non-albican yeast as far as I know, and I've been active on this forum since 2006 which is around the time it got started.

My lactobacilli naturally repopulated shortly after I stopped the boric acid. I've never inserted Fem-Dophilus vaginally since I wasn't sure the capsules would dissolve properly. Some of women on here actually inserted it vaginally and experienced intense itching and no change in symptoms what-so-ever. And I didn't want to waste my money (or a capsule) trying it a way that wouldn't work.

Is the three grams of sugar added, or is it something that just naturally occurs in your probiotic (like lactose sugar in milk)? Four grams of sugar is basically one teaspoon full of sugar, so three grams is just around that much. I remember just adding one teaspoon of sugar to my coffee and it would trigger my tongue thrush.

I got the old revised edition of the Yeast Connection that was made back in the 1980's (1986?). I got that one since it was the cheapest on Amazon and figured it would do the job and basically have what I'm looking for. But now that I think about it, I'm curious to buy the most current edition to see how much new information has been added. There's also a book specifically for women, called the Yeast Connection and Women's Health. I was thinking about buying it since it could have maybe more information about vaginitis and maybe even bacterial vaginosis. I'll probably buy it anyway since I'm so curious about what's in it. But personally, after reading the version of the Yeast Connection that I have, I wouldn't recommend the book. It didn't have the information I was looking for and I felt the information was kind of circumstantial. The part that really didn't matter to me was the patient letters and testimonials. I was disappointed with how much the book lacked what I was looking for.

Which version are you buying?
melinda7
QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 28 2011, 05:25 PM) *
The truth is, there is barely any research on boric acids effect on bacterial vaginosis. The only fact I have on boric acid's effect on bacterial vaginosis is from Dr. Stewart's book. What Dr. Stewart says specifically in her book is,

"Another method being studied is the use of boric acid capsules. In Chapter 10, I noted that they are a great treatment for yeast. Boric acid also has a strong antibacterial action that can wipe out the hallmark overgrowth of BV. Unfortunately for now, this treatment involves sticking in a vaginal capsule (600 mg) two or three times a week. If you stop, the BV may come back."

I've also researched the boric acid treatment for bacterial vaginosis on the National Institute of Health's database and couldn't find anything conclusive, or anything at all really. I know there are some clinical trials that are being done with just boric acid, but I have no idea if the researchers will bother posting up any articles after the trials have been done.

Judging by the facts I have come across, boric acid should help with bacterial vaginosis. No studies say it's ineffective, yet no studies have suggested it's a cure either. In a years time, there could be more research on it.

Mfc10 had success using a special formulation of acidophilus and boric acid inserted into a suppository. She didn't make them herself, she had them compounded by a chemist.

The only studies I've seen are positive. It's worked for me better than anything actually. Nothing cures it anyway -- not metro or anything else and then you get yeast and it's a vicious cycle At least with the BA you don't get yeast.

Have you and melis been tested for diabetes? A lot of people with chronic yeast have it.
melis19750
well i wouldnt say i have chronic yeast

because this is only my second yeast infection- and its 6 months later

I have done a lot of research, and even DR Stewarts book suggest its really all scare tactic about diabetes, HIV, immuno compromised, etc that causes yeast

MY first YI back ion august came about after not sleeping, lots of stress, and using an anti bacterial body wash- which i used "down there" without really "THINKING"- and that was albican yeast

than the YI cream gave me BV- or so my doctor thinks- it imbalanced my pH
so we treated that with Tindamax- the BV went away

I still kept having some off symptoms, but all my cultures (I did about 1 per month the last 6 months -came back NEGATIVE for everything)

at that time- my former OBGYN wanted me on diflucan for 2 weeks to avoid a YI
and than take diflucan once per week

guess what that did- kill off all the albican yeast, than I truly believe it caused the Candida Glabrata to grow

so now i just need to cleanse my system
im using a new protocol from my ND and MD
coconut oil, pau d arco- and capric acid
as well as taking more pro-biotic, pre biotic
and a GREEN suppliment to balance my body pH

and using BORIC ACID suppositories

so Im sure I'll have this under control
this yeast for never tested on my past cultures
nor did any doc think i had yeast

so my conclusion is the damn diflucan caused the C. glabrata (non albican yeast) to grow

but no- so far this isnt chronic, i just need to nip it in the bud, and like sweet- it may take a bit as she explained non albican yeast are harder to treat..
but im sure ill be fine

and BTW Im perfectly healthy

in fact i caught a flu bug last month, and it only lasted me 2 days

people around me have been sick
and i have not caught anything

and yes my blood sugars are low
or i should say NORMAL
=)

my issue mainly is im estrogen dominant.
and estrogen can cause yeastie beasties

melis19750
hey again sweet

well the coconut milk with live cultures is pure coconut- unsweetened
the sugar (3 grams per 8 oz serving) comes from the coconut
I am drinking it

as well as taking 4 tbs a day (spread out daily)
of extra virgin coconut oil (un refined)
and using it on the external area of my vagina (very soothing) to protect it from the BA

also im reading so much on this pure form of coconut oil
women have used it to cure yeast infections (diaper rash) on their babies
and their nipples when they are breast feeding, and get thrush on their nipples

coconut oil even have anti microbial and anti viral properties

and there is a forum of women who use coconut oil with their husbands for sex- (without condoms as they are married)
and one claimed she used to suffer frequent vaginal YI after sex
and she no longer does

so im thinking there is something to this

also -for the last 2 weeks my diet was BAD (prob the candida craving crap)
and i caved in and ate horribly
so my tongue started to look white again
well i have been using this coconut oil for a week now- and my tongue looks better already

=)

give it a try
it tastes great too
and the pure form smells amazing
swt simplicity
Have you and melis been tested for diabetes? A lot of people with chronic yeast have it.

I haven't been tested for diabetes. I doubt I have diabetes because, diabetes doesn't run in my family, I don't show signs of suffering from diabetes, and diabetes isn't one of those diseases that goes unnoticed (for long). As far as chronic yeast, I only suffered from one resistant infection, which in my opinion doesn't count as chronic.

It's good the boric acid is working for you. Be careful not to over do it. You could experience some vaginal irritation that could last for a few days, or weeks. How long do you plan on staying on the boric acid? Or do you plan on staying on it continually (for maintenance)?
coconut oil even have anti microbial and anti viral properties

Dr. Oz actually did a show not too long ago and he was talking about the properties of coconut oil. It's called "Coconut Oil Super Powers, Pt. 1". Watching that segment convinced me to try it as a moisturizer since I have dry-sensitive skin, and eczema.
in fact i caught a flu bug last month, and it only lasted me 2 days

people around me have been sick
and i have not caught anything

Yeah, I've noticed people around me will be getting sick and have coughs and runny noses ... the whole nine. And rarely ever do I get sick, if I do, it's short lived. It confirms I'm doing something right biggrin.gif
melinda7
Was just asking about the diabetes because they do get them a lot. You can also be IR and/or have PCOS which can cause yeast and BV infections.

I don't use the BA regularly. I only use it twice when I feel I need it. I did a week or so course a bit back. I plan on using it whenever I need it since it works. I prefer it to antibiotics. I may do it 2x a week for a bit and see if it knocks it out for good. Nothing else works as a cure so it doesn't even matter. I don't think we'll find one if the MD's can't so I'm done with supplements etc.
melis19750
**CULTURE RESULTS**

so I don't know weather to be HAPPY or discouraged....
My Vaginal cultures- including yeast cultures came back NORMAL (negative) yet again for yeast
but how is it my OBGYN saw C. glabrata ( an "unusual form" of candida) under the microscope
but nothing grew on the culture??

Im so confused. My doctor is too...

anyone have any ideas??

I also went in to see my GP and get an oral culture done- just to see if anything grows on that culture as well

I will say though, this Boric Acid really helped with my symptoms
I have been using it since last thursday (when I had my culture done- and my OBGYN looked under the scope and saw non albican yeast) to current
I think I'll just finish up the once a night BA regimen
just to be safe incase this really is yeast that just wont grow on the culture
and than only use 1-2 a week as needed for maint.

but im annoyed because I dont get how my OBGYN can see C. glabrata under the microscope in her office
yet, sent to the lab- it comes back normal today which is 6 days later

ohhh wow this is confusing

speaking of that- this states that C. glabrata is easy to grow on many types of cultures...
so maybe my obgyn misdiagnosed me?
i just dont know
but i did have symptoms
of some major disharge- clear but white
and some soreness and itching- but not as severe as your typical yeast infection

here is the link http://www.hardydiagnostics.com/articles/C...da-glabrata.pdf

wow also check this out
http://www.yeastconsulting.com/

and this one too

http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1702555

hmm sounds like me...
swt simplicity
It could be that the yeast wasn't detectable at the time of your appointment. Possibly you didn't have enough non-albican yeast for it to show up on the test results. I've gotten cultured many times, in between those times I was also on boric acid, but the one time I wasn't (because I was menstruating) the yeast finally did show up on the cultures.

Another thing is, you could also be suffering from a non-specific vaginitis, brought on by an external or internal irritation. Non-specific vaginitis is a vaginitis that is present without any infection. Maybe something your using, wearing, inserting, and so on is causing your symptoms. Itching is a typical sign of non-specific vaginitis when an infection isn't present to explain the source of the itch. Do you think it's the boric acid causing you to be sore and itchy? Boric acid does work away at the discharge you already have, causing it to become more loose, and the natural white color of the boric acid is white, ultimately making your discharge look white.

Are you thinking about getting on board with the Yeast Consultation Services? From what I read on the website, it seems like it will be pretty similar to The Yeast Connection. Except a smaller more condensed form of information about yeast (candida) and the like. That's why I would personally pass on that information.
swt simplicity
I was browsing through drugstore.com for supplements when I came across a Candida Yeast Relief product by Natrabio that actually lists candida albicans and c.parapsilosis on the label as active ingredients blink.gif ohmy.gif I was plain shocked. Isn't that strange? Anyway, I thought it was something worth mentioning.

melis19750
hey there sweet
so i did not use anything before my exam. I finally spoke with my GYN on the phone last Friday. She said she called the lab to ask- the lab said they only conclude the result is positive for candida overgrowth if over a certain percentage grow on the culture. Therefor my doc thinks I prob had it too mild to show up on a culture

anyhow im just using boric acid for 14 days once per day. Being I don't bleed heavy... and it only lasts about 3 days I did use it on my menstrual cycle as well.

I am feeling less itchy now
but I think the BA caused a little inflammation on my 12th day (im on day 13 now)
so being im almost done im going to just finish it up

I do have a follow up appointment to make sure she no longer sees Glabrata under the microsope

My oral culture came back in- but i havent gotten the result yet

anyhow wish me luck

Hopefully i wont have to use Boric acid after my 14th day
and i can keep it at that being it was mild

the only nasty thing is the discharge the BA gives you
very watery
and it seems to stain my panty liner a little yellowish
im assuming thats just the BA

but for the sx that i had of yeast (a white discharge, soreness, itching) they seem to be cleared up mostly

i am praying this works
ive read great results from it
swt simplicity
QUOTE(melis19750 @ Feb 7 2011, 07:45 PM) *
hey there sweet
so i did not use anything before my exam. I finally spoke with my GYN on the phone last Friday. She said she called the lab to ask- the lab said they only conclude the result is positive for candida overgrowth if over a certain percentage grow on the culture. Therefor my doc thinks I prob had it too mild to show up on a culture

anyhow im just using boric acid for 14 days once per day. Being I don't bleed heavy... and it only lasts about 3 days I did use it on my menstrual cycle as well.

I am feeling less itchy now
but I think the BA caused a little inflammation on my 12th day (im on day 13 now)
so being im almost done im going to just finish it up

I do have a follow up appointment to make sure she no longer sees Glabrata under the microsope

My oral culture came back in- but i havent gotten the result yet

anyhow wish me luck

Hopefully i wont have to use Boric acid after my 14th day
and i can keep it at that being it was mild

the only nasty thing is the discharge the BA gives you
very watery
and it seems to stain my panty liner a little yellowish
im assuming thats just the BA

but for the sx that i had of yeast (a white discharge, soreness, itching) they seem to be cleared up mostly
i am praying this works
ive read great results from it

Maybe your gynecologist can have you swab yourself during various points throughout your cycle; this is something Dr. Stewart told me to do. She gave me swabs, tubes to place the swabs in, and a special broth to allow the cultures to grow. I would write the date I did the cultures on the tubes. Then I would drop the cultures off at the lab. The amount of yeast your dealing with will most likely wax and wane throughout the month, culturing yourself can give you an opportunity to pinpoint when your yeast count has peaked.

It would be a good idea to get re-examined a couple of weeks (about a month to six weeks) after your totally done with your boric acid suppositories. Even using boric acid a little in between exams will probably effect the outcome of your test results.

The stains you have on your underwear can get removed pretty easily if you apply a diluted solution of bleach right to the stained spot and let it sit for thirty minutes. Hopefully your underwear is white because bleach will ruin any other kind of underwear with patterns and such. A little ammonia removes any strong odors as well as the bleach smell.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you smile.gif
Gigle
To swt simplicity:

Hi! I just wanted to know what were your symptoms for the non albicans yeast you had?? I was prescribed so many times with antifungals some months ago when actually had BV. Now, I have a dermatitis in my vulvar area than does not go away completely steroid. I was thinking that maybe I have a overgrowth of non albicans yeast after all the treatments i got. I have no discharge but iriritation and burning -no itching-
I've been taking femd for the last 5 weeks and I think that's keeping my BV at bay, I'm planning to keep taking them for the long term

Giga
swt simplicity
QUOTE(Gigle @ Feb 22 2011, 03:44 AM) *
To swt simplicity:

Hi! I just wanted to know what were your symptoms for the non albicans yeast you had?? I was prescribed so many times with antifungals some months ago when actually had BV. Now, I have a dermatitis in my vulvar area than does not go away completely steroid. I was thinking that maybe I have a overgrowth of non albicans yeast after all the treatments i got. I have no discharge but iriritation and burning -no itching-
I've been taking femd for the last 5 weeks and I think that's keeping my BV at bay, I'm planning to keep taking them for the long term

Giga

I had a thick, clear, yellowish discharge. The discharge burned from time to time. It was also irritating too. The discharge in my case had a smell to it, although not all women with non-albican yeast infections have an odorous discharge. I also had developed eczema near the opening of my vagina, but I personally feel it was due to the irritation that the area was constantly subjected to. I was prescribed a clobatesol ointment for that and it went away.
melis19750
Hi sweet
I was reading another message board and stumbled upon one of your older posts when you were first diagnosed with 3 different non albican strains. =) You mentioned on that board that you used boric acid amongst other things.

Can I happen to ask what those "other things" were?

Im having a not so good time dealing with this. Im trying to stay positive

I started my BA on Jan 27th.... once daily at bed time
after 2 weeks- 14 days worth I switched to every other day (4 times a week)
but about a week ago when I begin to taper off to every 2 days... I skipped two nights, than decided to take a bath as I am a dancer and had very sore muscles....
and than BOOM the next day my symptoms fl aired.
So I started the BA again 1 X a day for a week.... definitely improving again- not perfect

but Im worried I may have to stay on BA long term...

Im also seeing a whole-istic doctor who is also an MD
and he has me taking double the amount of pro biotics from meta genics along with my FEM D, citric seed oil, a good omega fish oil, coconut oil, eating greek yogurt once a day, coconut milk.

My diet is very strict with only homone/antibiotic free/ organic lean beef, chicken, fish, turkey
all veggies except corn/ potatos/ peas
only allowed 1 cup of fruit per day and that means a half of an green apple or some black berries/rasberrys
and almonds, pecans/ pumpkin seeds

good news is ive lost unwanted weight (10 lbs)

Ive been reading about the use of amphotericin b and flucytosine compounded into a vaginal cream/ gel from a compounding pharmacy and it has a 90% success rate at curing non albican yeast- specifically candida glabrata.

anyhow if you can let me know what else you have done that would be awesome.
I don't wanna deal with this forever. At first i thought BV was worse.. now im convinced yeast is! especially non albican

I do feel "healthier" internally than I have in a long time... and sleeping better
but vaginally Im not so happy!

By the way my oral candida culture took over a month to grow, the final results are still not in yet- but the preliminary is still negative.

I prob just have a "pale tongue" and not oral thrush the doctor said.

but im treating this naturally/ systemically so that way my vagina can be happy again.

OH pss: here are my symptoms of non albican yeast
no disharge- barely any
if any- slightly yellow or thick white mixed with normal stringy/ clear

soreness
a little itching but not often
can be painful and then goes away
mostly sore
swt simplicity
QUOTE(melis19750 @ Feb 26 2011, 10:13 AM) *
Hi sweet
I was reading another message board and stumbled upon one of your older posts when you were first diagnosed with 3 different non albican strains. =) You mentioned on that board that you used boric acid amongst other things.

Can I happen to ask what those "other things" were?

Im having a not so good time dealing with this. Im trying to stay positive

I started my BA on Jan 27th.... once daily at bed time
after 2 weeks- 14 days worth I switched to every other day (4 times a week)
but about a week ago when I begin to taper off to every 2 days... I skipped two nights, than decided to take a bath as I am a dancer and had very sore muscles....
and than BOOM the next day my symptoms fl aired.
So I started the BA again 1 X a day for a week.... definitely improving again- not perfect

but Im worried I may have to stay on BA long term...

Im also seeing a whole-istic doctor who is also an MD
and he has me taking double the amount of pro biotics from meta genics along with my FEM D, citric seed oil, a good omega fish oil, coconut oil, eating greek yogurt once a day, coconut milk.

My diet is very strict with only homone/antibiotic free/ organic lean beef, chicken, fish, turkey
all veggies except corn/ potatos/ peas
only allowed 1 cup of fruit per day and that means a half of an green apple or some black berries/rasberrys
and almonds, pecans/ pumpkin seeds

good news is ive lost unwanted weight (10 lbs)

Ive been reading about the use of amphotericin b and flucytosine compounded into a vaginal cream/ gel from a compounding pharmacy and it has a 90% success rate at curing non albican yeast- specifically candida glabrata.
anyhow if you can let me know what else you have done that would be awesome.
I don't wanna deal with this forever. At first i thought BV was worse.. now im convinced yeast is! especially non albican

I do feel "healthier" internally than I have in a long time... and sleeping better
but vaginally Im not so happy!
By the way my oral candida culture took over a month to grow, the final results are still not in yet- but the preliminary is still negative.

I prob just have a "pale tongue" and not oral thrush the doctor said.

but im treating this naturally/ systemically so that way my vagina can be happy again.

OH pss: here are my symptoms of non albican yeast
no disharge- barely any
if any- slightly yellow or thick white mixed with normal stringy/ clear

soreness
a little itching but not often
can be painful and then goes away
mostly sore

While I was dealing with my infection, I did experiment with different things that were recommended by other women that were dealing with resistant infections. I tried tea tree oil, gentian violet, echinacea, yogurt suppositories, a plethora of different supplements ranging from multivitamins to garlic capsules, and I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them. I know at some point I did get relief trying something; I think it was the echinacea, but I'm reluctant to even say that since I took it so long ago. I also took garlic vaginally which was such a bad idea. I also took it orally, and it helped with my oral tongue coating, which meant is was helping somewhat. Both of those herbs have been shown in various studies to have antimicrobial properties. I'm hesitant to suggest taking echinacea and garlic since choosing a legitimate brand and strength makes all the difference. You could take both herbs for months and not notice a difference since the strength of the herbs may be too weak for you to reap any benefits or notice a difference. The three things that I did at some point get relief from was probably the garlic, echinacea, and this beadlet pearl probiotic that my general practitioner gave me for free, and I don't remember the brand. After that, the things I tried straight up didn't work or gave me the placebo effect.

Lately, I've been hearing about a documentary called Food Inc., and it goes in-depth about what goes into the processed foods that we purchase in grocery stores today. The fact that your eating organic meat to combat your infection makes me question if some of the byproducts that are in the meat makes people more susceptible to certain infections. My common sense is telling me of course it's the stuff in the meat, but not the meat itself. Cows get fed such terrible feed, and I've heard they've been incorporating animal parts in the feed of the cows. Cows are herbivores and not carnivores and I'm pretty sure that's not good for them.

I assumed cooking the meat would kill or breakdown any bad things in it. But lately I've been hearing that the byproducts stay in the meat. Not only just the meat, but fruits and vegetables too. There's pesticide residues that are still on the crops after they've been picked, and crops in foreign countries go unchecked. I hope your eating organic fruits and vegetables too.

Apples are one of the most high fructose fruits that you could eat. I think your better off switching to citrus fruits since they contain the least amount of fructose. But that's just my suggestion. If your doctor recommends eating those fruits then you should by all means continue eating them. But when I was striving to reduce my sugar intake, I came to realize fruits contain a lot of fructose that break down into sugar in the intestines and apples contain the most fructose out of all of the fruits, citrus (i.e. grape fruits, oranges, tangerines) the least.

You have a pale tongue? I thought you had an actual tongue coating that reoccurred.

I haven't heard of the Amphotericin B and Flucytosine vaginal cream. I have a vague recollection of Amphotericin B though, I'm pretty sure I did a post on it. Worst case scenario, if the boric acid doesn't cure your infection, you can try the cream. It could very well work for you. You should give the boric acid time to work since there's no research that states the bacteria or yeast can build a resistance to it. I don't think they can since boric acid doesn't absorb into the body. The fact that it's helping is a good thing. I'd be concerned if you tried the Amphotericin B and Flucytosine vaginal cream and it caused the yeast to become more resistant and harder to treat. But a 90% success rate is pretty high and in my opinion a chance worth taking.

I think it's pretty cool your a dancer. I used to do ballet but I quit, I wish I didn't though sad.gif What styles of dancing do you do?
melis19750
hey again sweet

well... i AM eating organic meats.... does that still count for having those by products? its from the health food store and it states "grass fed diet only" and its super expensive

yea im gonna continue with BA for now. I see my GYN for a follow up this friday
the odd thing is... my fair up happened a few days before my menstrual cycle... so maybe its hormone related?

although, im not sure if im truly rid of glabrata yeast or not yet??

i would much rather prefer BA over the RX due to resistance. I think using diflucan too many times is what caused this type of yeast. being i did not have a yeast infection when i used diflucan in the past, the doctors just gave it to me to use after anti biotic use

you know, i thought it was a white coating, but when i try and brush it off or scrape it off... its still white
when my nurse looked at my tongue (as she has seen many pts with thrush) she said- honestly it really doesnt look like oral candida
it just looks like your tongue is pale

but, we will see when i get the final results

i hope the BA works as well for me as it did for you, but it seems as if you were on it about 2 months

at least your better!! =) yay i pray i get there
i def dont have BV
i dont think i did at all
i think this whole time ive prob just had this dang YI
and misdiagnosed
and given BV meds- BOOOO

as for apples, yeah i decided to just stop eating fruit right now
and only use some lemon to flavor my water

I am def using herbs
one thing that seemed to help me wAS syntol
but its sooo expensive and i ran out, and when i ran out.... is when i flaired with symptoms along with stopping BA

so i have basically been on BA this way now (counting 7 days as a week)
week 1 Jan 27th-Feb 2 during menses (once daily)
week 2 once daily feb 3-feb9th
week 3 every other day (4 days) feb 10th-feb 16th
week 4 skipped doses cuz i felt better.... and flair up happened this Monday 21st
week 5 started monday=fri once a day
today started menses... continuing to use BA

My doctor (natural/md not obgyn..but he deals with candida pts a lot) feels i should use it every other day for another 1-2 months

oh i just want my vagina back to normal where im not thinking about it anymore....
i thought that was happening feb 17th-feb 20th.... but well 3 days is just 3 days

oh im a hip hop/ jazz dancer
=) i used to do ballet as well... but stopped due to too many injuries

so now my ritual after rehearsals or teaching is... i change my undies and put on baggy sweats and drive home- hop in the shower

you know this is just not fun

ha ha
here is the sad part im completely abstaining from sex (have been for 5 yrs now) until marriage
so im thinking... this has to be hormone related or something
or maybe the diflucan caused this

ahhh sooooooooo much to consider
its like playing the game clue
ha ha

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Feb 26 2011, 07:36 PM) *
While I was dealing with my infection, I did experiment with different things that were recommended by other women that were dealing with resistant infections. I tried tea tree oil, gentian violet, echinacea, yogurt suppositories, a plethora of different supplements ranging from multivitamins to garlic capsules, and I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them. I know at some point I did get relief trying something; I think it was the echinacea, but I'm reluctant to even say that since I took it so long ago. I also took garlic vaginally which was such a bad idea. I also took it orally, and it helped with my oral tongue coating, which meant is was helping somewhat. Both of those herbs have been shown in various studies to have antimicrobial properties. I'm hesitant to suggest taking echinacea and garlic since choosing a legitimate brand and strength makes all the difference. You could take both herbs for months and not notice a difference since the strength of the herbs may be too weak for you to reap any benefits or notice a difference. The three things that I did at some point get relief from was probably the garlic, echinacea, and this beadlet pearl probiotic that my general practitioner gave me for free, and I don't remember the brand. After that, the things I tried straight up didn't work or gave me the placebo effect.

Lately, I've been hearing about a documentary called Food Inc., and it goes in-depth about what goes into the processed foods that we purchase in grocery stores today. The fact that your eating organic meat to combat your infection makes me question if some of the byproducts that are in the meat makes people more susceptible to certain infections. My common sense is telling me of course it's the stuff in the meat, but not the meat itself. Cows get fed such terrible feed, and I've heard they've been incorporating animal parts in the feed of the cows. Cows are herbivores and not carnivores and I'm pretty sure that's not good for them.

I assumed cooking the meat would kill or breakdown any bad things in it. But lately I've been hearing that the byproducts stay in the meat. Not only just the meat, but fruits and vegetables too. There's pesticide residues that are still on the crops after they've been picked, and crops in foreign countries go unchecked. I hope your eating organic fruits and vegetables too.

Apples are one of the most high fructose fruits that you could eat. I think your better off switching to citrus fruits since they contain the least amount of fructose. But that's just my suggestion. If your doctor recommends eating those fruits then you should by all means continue eating them. But when I was striving to reduce my sugar intake, I came to realize fruits contain a lot of fructose that break down into sugar in the intestines and apples contain the most fructose out of all of the fruits, citrus (i.e. grape fruits, oranges, tangerines) the least.

You have a pale tongue? I thought you had an actual tongue coating that reoccurred.

I haven't heard of the Amphotericin B and Flucytosine vaginal cream. I have a vague recollection of Amphotericin B though, I'm pretty sure I did a post on it. Worst case scenario, if the boric acid doesn't cure your infection, you can try the cream. It could very well work for you. You should give the boric acid time to work since there's no research that states the bacteria or yeast can build a resistance to it. I don't think they can since boric acid doesn't absorb into the body. The fact that it's helping is a good thing. I'd be concerned if you tried the Amphotericin B and Flucytosine vaginal cream and it caused the yeast to become more resistant and harder to treat. But a 90% success rate is pretty high and in my opinion a chance worth taking.

I think it's pretty cool your a dancer. I used to do ballet but I quit, I wish I didn't though sad.gif What styles of dancing do you do?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.