Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
jularee
QUOTE(kaylan80 @ Nov 24 2011, 02:42 AM) *
Hi jularee,

did you take antibiotics when you started the treatment that ultimately worked, or did it go away on its own? How long did you have bv before then? sorry Im just trying to get an idea of what I should do next...

I got bv for the first time this past summer, I took metrogel for 5 days and it cleared up, since then i have had some of the same discharge and some odor but most of the time I have no symptoms. I frequently have unprotected sex, but I always be sure to wash myself well in the shower with soap immediately afterwards. I want to know what else I should know before going back to the doctor, because at this point it kinda looks like I need to :/

Thanks

Hi Kaylan! I gave up on antibiotics for my BV years ago. I just got so frustrated with the horrible side effects of the flagyl and metrogel and the inevitable return of the cooley funk a few days after I finished them. rolleyes.gif

I've had BV for almost 10 years now. Took antibiotics for maybe the first 2 or 3 years in a vicious cycle, then tried to find a more natural approach...tea tree oil, boric acid, vitamin C, vitamin D. You name it, I tried it. My poor hoo-haa was definitely a guinea pig for quite some time! The probiotics are the only thing I've been doing differently. Haven't changed my diet, still eat tons of sugar, no condoms during sex....and everything continues to go well.

Hope this helps!
neverending
Hello ladies,

I had a horrific battle with BV for nearly 10years. I finally tried Estroil Suppositories, Vagi- fem, and finally the Nuvaring. Let me tell you, the Estroil worked. I thought, this is hormonal. Then I tried Vagi Fem, it worked too. From there I went on to discover and try the Nuvaring. All my BV worries have gone away and have been gone for more than 4yrs. Look back to my previous posts. So, with that being said, I found out that I had Atrophy of the vagina with a secondary bacterial infection. Once you clear up the Atrophy the BV goes away. Estrogen brings oxygen to the vagina which turns around and grows the Lactibacillus so the vagina can stay healthy. You all should try the Nuvaring. It works.
Sunflowerchick1
I would really like to know something, me and boyfriend we have sex and normally he performs oral sex on me, but lately I have been smelling like fish and it's embarrassing. I thought I had a std but a few years ago I had one and it went away and I had no smell. I don't know what to do. Can bv affect him sexually and orally?
swt simplicity
QUOTE(Sunflowerchick1 @ Jan 2 2012, 02:10 AM) *
I would really like to know something, me and boyfriend we have sex and normally he performs oral sex on me, but lately I have been smelling like fish and it's embarrassing. I thought I had a std but a few years ago I had one and it went away and I had no smell. I don't know what to do. Can bv affect him sexually and orally?

Hi Sunflowerchick!

You should get examined by a gynecologist to be sure that your actually dealing with bacterial vaginosis (if you haven't already). Bacterial vaginosis isn't recognized as something that is contagious or passed back and forth between partners, although I have read medical research that says men can carry the bacteria that causes bacterial vaginosis temporarily in their urethra (which is here, under the subtopic "sex").
Gardnerella vaginalis colonization and/or infection predominantly occurs in women. Men rarely develop infections with G vaginalis; however, the urethras of men whose sexual partners have symptoms of BV are frequently colonized with the same strain of G vaginalis. A recent study by Bradshaw et al found that G vaginalis is not associated with nongonococcal urethritis.

The thing is, the research isn't conclusive and it hasn't been studied thoroughly. But, just to be on the safe side, you should use a condom when your having sex. Some women discover that their vaginal flora doesn't recalibrate after having unprotected sex since the semen's pH lowers/alters the pH of the vagina temporarily. I guess that is why some people will notice a smell in the "V area" after they have sex but a healthy vaginal flora should be able to bounce back.

And saliva contains an ecosystem of it's own. I think a good portion of the bacteria resides on the tongue itself, although I'm not too sure. The saliva can also affect the pH of the vagina as well as the vaginal flora. I think there was a study that linked oral sex with yeast infections, because of the candida yeast that can be present in the mouth, sometimes you can see it on a persons tomgue if they have a candida yeast overgrowth. The white coating on their tongue cannot be brushed off. The bacteria H.pylori can be spread to the vaginal flora during oral sex (here is a medical article on this). H. pylori is linked to a number of gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, stomach ulcers, and intestinal bacterial overgrowth among many other things. But, the saliva also contains hundreds or even thousands of different bacteria. Most of them should be harmless, but of course you can never know for sure.

In short, your boyfriend should not be affect by your possible bacterial vaginosis. But just to be on the safe side, you should use a condom to prevent the bacteria from possibly colonizing in his urethra and passing back to you. You also want to take precautions if he's going to perform oral sex on you. You can use dental dams.

Take probiotics for feminine health. They work wonders.

Good luck!
swt simplicity
QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 2 2012, 06:47 PM) *
Hi Sunflowerchick!

You should get examined by a gynecologist to be sure that your actually dealing with bacterial vaginosis (if you haven't already). Bacterial vaginosis isn't recognized as something that is contagious or passed back and forth between partners, although I have read medical research that says men can carry the bacteria that causes bacterial vaginosis temporarily in their urethra (which is here, under the subtopic "sex").

The thing is, the research isn't conclusive and it hasn't been studied thoroughly. But, just to be on the safe side, you should use a condom when your having sex. Some women discover that their vaginal flora doesn't recalibrate after having unprotected sex since the semen's pH lowers/alters the pH of the vagina temporarily. I guess that is why some people will notice a smell in the "V area" after they have sex but a healthy vaginal flora should be able to bounce back.

And saliva contains an ecosystem of it's own. I think a good portion of the bacteria resides on the tongue itself, although I'm not too sure. The saliva can also affect the pH of the vagina as well as the vaginal flora. I think there was a study that linked oral sex with yeast infections, because of the candida yeast that can be present in the mouth, sometimes you can see it on a persons tomgue if they have a candida yeast overgrowth. The white coating on their tongue cannot be brushed off. The bacteria H.pylori can be spread to the vaginal flora during oral sex (here is a medical article on this). H. pylori is linked to a number of gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, stomach ulcers, and intestinal bacterial overgrowth among many other things. But, the saliva also contains hundreds or even thousands of different bacteria. Most of them should be harmless, but of course you can never know for sure.

In short, your boyfriend should not be affect by your possible bacterial vaginosis. But just to be on the safe side, you should use a condom to prevent the bacteria from possibly colonizing in his urethra and passing back to you. You also want to take precautions if he's going to perform oral sex on you. You can use dental dams.

Take probiotics for feminine health. They work wonders.

Good luck!

I forgot to insert the link for the quote. (Here) it is.
stefani88
QUOTE(CarrieBradshaw @ Nov 20 2011, 04:29 PM) *
Hey everyone,

Well after 3+ years of being all clear down there, I'm back having problems I just got married 6 months ago, too, so it's not the greatest timing (is it ever though??)

The thing that kept me well for 3 years was FemD. Well, I went off it and thought I was good. I was ... for awhile. I decided to try something really dumb this year -- the DIVA CUP. Apparently not a good thing for women dealing with feminine infections!! I also tried the cup right around the same time as going off the pill. I think it was just too many changes for my body.

Well, here we are 2 months laters, and I'm still in daily agony. This infection is a bit differen't. I'm mostly itchy/burning around the major labias -- and mostly when I sweat. How strange?? I did have some discharge, but it comes and goes. And ... I'm now having a smell (something I never had with my original bouts of BV three years ago).

Went to the gyno last week. She said it's Group B Strep. WTF? I'm on Amoxicillian (plus FemD) and see no relief in sight. I just don't know what to do -- the outer part of my girly bits are just so irrititated and uncomfortable! There is not much info on the Internet about Group B Strep, so I'm not sure what to do about it.

All I know is that when I DO get back to normal again (whenever that is!), I will NEVER stop taking FemD ever again. It is a miracle pill! The 3 years when I was "clean" were amazing!!!!

Thank you so much for your post.
Anyways, I have been reading and lurking on this forum since my battle with BV started in 2009. I did get bv when I was nineteen after coming off of the Depo shot, but it cleared up just fine with meds, and I didn't have a problem with it until June of 2009.
This has been the most humiliating and debilitating thing to happen to me because the odor is overwhelming. One day at work the air conditioning was broken, I am a chef, and it was pretty hot that day, and all of a sudden my area was engulfed with the scent of fish and the scent of my favorite fragrance. That was pretty traumatizing being the only woman in the kitchen filled with men. Since that day I have been on a quest to find the answer to my issue. I went to the doctor the very next day, and it was confirmed that I had bv, I took the meds, the bv didn't budge. I went back to the doctor's and they told me that the bv was still there, took the meds again, it only let up a little bit. I thought there is something else going on here. I had to leave work because the stress and embarrassment became to much for me to handle, and these were guys that I talked and joked around with everyday, but when my coochie got sick, they showed me who they really were. I went back to the doctor's not only for the bv, but I was also having trouble conceiving, so I requested a STD panel, low and behold, I checked out positive for chlamydia, got meds for that, tried to kill my husband, left him, and moved back home. I found a new gyn, and explained my problems to her, and asked her which route I should take. She first wanted to make sure the chlamydia was gone, so she took swabs, and once we discovered that it was indeed gone I had a HSG done, and it showed that I did have blockage in my left tube, which is probably why I was having trouble conceiving. I got that cleared up, but there was still no let up in the odor, I mean everywhere I would go someone would comment on it, and we all know how pretty mean people can be. This has pretty much destroyed me. I have gotten three jobs since and had to leave them because of this. I go back to my doctor to explain to her what's going and she always says that she can't smell anything, but that is not what I witness when I go places. I've tried everything that I possibly know how to do, my bathroom is like a little pharmacy. Now my my doctor and the nurses were calling me crazy because I kept going back to them, everytime I would get examined she would inform me that I had no lactobacillus, and I would ask her why not, and she sayed that she didn't know, and was I like yeah right. Anyways, I asked for a full culture bacterial culture, and a culture for STD's that's not usually checked for on a routine visit, I'll come back to this part later. I've even had testing for Trimethlyaminuria, and that came up negative, Thank God! I've also had a Hysteroscopy and DnC done because I'm thinking that something inside of me is dead, and producing the horrible odor. Then it hit me! Through my research, I went back on Depo in 2000 and stayed on it until 2006. I had perfect 30 day cycles, then all of a sudden they went to 23 cycles. I usually bled for five days, then it went to three days. So I'm guessing it took the Depo 18 months to clear from my system, and my body went wacky as far as hormones go. So when I get back to the doctors to find out about my results from the cultures and tests they ran, I tested negative for the all of STD's, which is a good thing, but while she was thumbing through my folder I noticed the page about my lactobacillus count, comes to found out I only had a minute amount of Lactobacillus, you know she abrubtly closed the book while I was reading, but I did catch what type of bacteria it was before she could, and it was L. Gasseri. So I already have some Lacto vaginal tablets at home that contain gasseri I was relieved to know that. She wanted me to keep coming to her and getting meds things that are not working, and trying to make me feel like a moron and call me crazy when I know what I deal with all of the time. I"ve ordered some feminine wash from China that's suppose to keep the Ph of the vagina down, but I was wondering why it wasn't working, and why I don't have a sufficient amout of healthy bacteria, I've used the Vagisil screening kit, ladies they do not work, at least they didn't for me. So I bought some regular ph strips from the pharmacy, and it clearly shows that my ph is at 6, and it hasn't dropped. A ph of 6 does not make a happy vagina. I thought they were faulty at first until I started testing them with things that I know are acidic like vinegar, my feminine wash which has a ph of 3.8, lemon juice, and they do what they are suppose to. That let's me know that I have the ph balance of a woman in menopause that's why when I use these things that really do work, they don't stick. Neverending was one who confirmed my thoughts, so now I'm on a mission to help cure myself. I have lost out on so much because of this, how do you go from smelling like Victoria Secrets to Sockeye Salmon all of a sudden, and there are no specific answers, that's bull. Jewels, Pianogirl, Neverending, Lori, Sprinkles, Konphusion, and all of the other girls thank you for being a light in times of darkness. Leggo!
swt simplicity
QUOTE(crabcakes @ Jan 15 2012, 12:06 AM) *
Hi ladies, I'm still not quite sure how to post yet, but here goes.
Anyways, I have been reading and lurking on this forum since my battle with BV started in 2009. I did get bv when I was nineteen after coming off of the Depo shot, but it cleared up just fine with meds, and I didn't have a problem with it until June of 2009.
This has been the most humiliating and debilitating thing to happen to me because the odor is overwhelming. One day at work the air conditioning was broken, I am a chef, and it was pretty hot that day, and all of a sudden my area was engulfed with the scent of fish and the scent of my favorite fragrance. That was pretty traumatizing being the only woman in the kitchen filled with men. Since that day I have been on a quest to find the answer to my issue. I went to the doctor the very next day, and it was confirmed that I had bv, I took the meds, the bv didn't budge. I went back to the doctor's and they told me that the bv was still there, took the meds again, it only let up a little bit. I thought there is something else going on here. I had to leave work because the stress and embarrassment became to much for me to handle, and these were guys that I talked and joked around with everyday, but when my coochie got sick, they showed me who they really were. I went back to the doctor's not only for the bv, but I was also having trouble conceiving, so I requested a STD panel, low and behold, I checked out positive for chlamydia, got meds for that, tried to kill my husband, left him, and moved back home. I found a new gyn, and explained my problems to her, and asked her which route I should take. She first wanted to make sure the chlamydia was gone, so she took swabs, and once we discovered that it was indeed gone I had a HSG done, and it showed that I did have blockage in my left tube, which is probably why I was having trouble conceiving. I got that cleared up, but there was still no let up in the odor, I mean everywhere I would go someone would comment on it, and we all know how pretty mean people can be. This has pretty much destroyed me. I have gotten three jobs since and had to leave them because of this. I go back to my doctor to explain to her what's going and she always says that she can't smell anything, but that is not what I witness when I go places. I've tried everything that I possibly know how to do, my bathroom is like a little pharmacy. Now my my doctor and the nurses were calling me crazy because I kept going back to them, everytime I would get examined she would inform me that I had no lactobacillus, and I would ask her why not, and she sayed that she didn't know, and was I like yeah right. Anyways, I asked for a full culture bacterial culture, and a culture for STD's that's not usually checked for on a routine visit, I'll come back to this part later. I've even had testing for Trimethlyaminuria, and that came up negative, Thank God! I've also had a Hysteroscopy and DnC done because I'm thinking that something inside of me is dead, and producing the horrible odor. Then it hit me! Through my research, I went back on Depo in 2000 and stayed on it until 2006. I had perfect 30 day cycles, then all of a sudden they went to 23 cycles. I usually bled for five days, then it went to three days. So I'm guessing it took the Depo 18 months to clear from my system, and my body went wacky as far as hormones go. So when I get back to the doctors to find out about my results from the cultures and tests they ran, I tested negative for the all of STD's, which is a good thing, but while she was thumbing through my folder I noticed the page about my lactobacillus count, comes to found out I only had a minute amount of Lactobacillus, you know she abrubtly closed the book while I was reading, but I did catch what type of bacteria it was before she could, and it was L. Gasseri. So I already have some Lacto vaginal tablets at home that contain gasseri I was relieved to know that. She wanted me to keep coming to her and getting meds things that are not working, and trying to make me feel like a moron and call me crazy when I know what I deal with all of the time. I"ve ordered some feminine wash from China that's suppose to keep the Ph of the vagina down, but I was wondering why it wasn't working, and why I don't have a sufficient amout of healthy bacteria, I've used the Vagisil screening kit, ladies they do not work, at least they didn't for me. So I bought some regular ph strips from the pharmacy, and it clearly shows that my ph is at 6, and it hasn't dropped. A ph of 6 does not make a happy vagina. I thought they were faulty at first until I started testing them with things that I know are acidic like vinegar, my feminine wash which has a ph of 3.8, lemon juice, and they do what they are suppose to. That let's me know that I have the ph balance of a woman in menopause that's why when I use these things that really do work, they don't stick. Neverending was one who confirmed my thoughts, so now I'm on a mission to help cure myself. I have lost out on so much because of this, how do you go from smelling like Victoria Secrets to Sockeye Salmon all of a sudden, and there are no specific answers, that's bull. Jewels, Pianogirl, Neverending, Lori, Sprinkles, Konphusion, and all of the other girls thank you for being a light in times of darkness. Leggo!

Thank you for opening up about your situation. What really baffles me is the fact that some gynecologists can't seem to detect the odor, or at least they say they can't. There are some people suffering from TMAU and they have went to their doctors complaining about a strong body odor (strong enough to fill an entire room) and their doctors claim that they can't smell it. For example, I remember back when I was dealing with a troubling vaginal infection and I had a constant discharge and odor, I asked my gynecologist if she could smell the odor and she looked at me like I was crazy and said that she would tell me if she did, and she also mentioned that I passed the whiff test.

The fact that she mentioned this critical piece of information meant that she had to prove that the odor actually existed. Maybe they can't rely on their own senses, in this case, their sense of smell, because smells are very subjective. One person might smell something and interpret it differently than another person. Some women dealing with bacterial vaginosis say their odor smells like fish, some say ammonia, some say "dirty feet" and so on. Some people can't pick up on certain smells. And then, doctors need to be objective due to the nature of their work. Doctors actually need to buy a special insurance in case they get sued for malpractice, but that's a whole other topic.

Basically, doctors need to be able to prove something before they can actually make a conclusive diagnosis, or they can get in a lot of trouble.
crabcakes
QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 21 2012, 12:16 PM) *
Thank you for opening up about your situation. What really baffles me is the fact that some gynecologists can't seem to detect the odor, or at least they say they can't. There are some people suffering from TMAU and they have went to their doctors complaining about a strong body odor (strong enough to fill an entire room) and their doctors claim that they can't smell it. For example, I remember back when I was dealing with a troubling vaginal infection and I had a constant discharge and odor, I asked my gynecologist if she could smell the odor and she looked at me like I was crazy and said that she would tell me if she did, and she also mentioned that I passed the whiff test.

The fact that she mentioned this critical piece of information meant that she had to prove that the odor actually existed. Maybe they can't rely on their own senses, in this case, their sense of smell, because smells are very subjective. One person might smell something and interpret it differently than another person. Some women dealing with bacterial vaginosis say their odor smells like fish, some say ammonia, some say "dirty feet" and so on. Some people can't pick up on certain smells. And then, doctors need to be objective due to the nature of their work. Doctors actually need to buy a special insurance in case they get sued for malpractice, but that's a whole other topic.

Basically, doctors need to be able to prove something before they can actually make a conclusive diagnosis, or they can get in a lot of trouble.

Thank you so much for replying to my plea Sweet Simplicity, as for one, I know that I am not the only one who has suffered through this ordeal.
Well for one, my doctor allowed me to sniff the whiff test, and I admit, I smelled nothing at that time, but everytime I'm out and about I get the bad remarks that I haven't showered, or I need to douche, and this has been an ongoing thing since the diagnosis of 2009. First of all let me say that I do know quite a bit about vaginal care, so I do know the remarks weren't due to my cleanliness. In fact, I think that women who suffer from bacterial vaginosis or any type of body odor disorder are cleaner than the average person simply because they have this issue. I just did not appreciate the way my doctors and the nurses went out of their way to make me feel like I was making this up. Who would want to make up that they have feminine odor? Not me. They just don't understand the toll this has taken on my life. My doctor couldn't even explain to me why I didn't have any lactobacillus. The only way I knew I had a very minute amount of lactobacillus was by me being a fast reader because she was acting like she didn't want me to see my chart, but wanted to try another expensive procedure on me, while trying to figure out "my problem." I can't say for sure, but I think that I may need hormone balancing, I know that estrogen is what helps to keep the vagina happy and healthy, and I didn't start to experience these issues until the effects of the Depo Provera wore off. I have one more thing to say. Ladies, I know t is a rough ride dealing with this, there are times when I don't know if I may see another day due to the shame. It takes lactobacillus approximately 6-8 weeks to grow back to normal levels.
crabcakes
For all the ladies using usinig oral and vaginal lactobacillus to help with their vaginosis. There are these vaginal probiotics called PurFem, which contains Lactobalcillus Gasseri EB01, and L. Rhamnosus PB01. These strains are taken from the vaginas of healthy women (I know, eww), but they are the same Lactobacillus strains found in healthy women of childbearing age. L.Acidophilus come second to these, so if you want to try them along with Femdophilus, and the boric acid acid suppositories to keep the ph down, give them a try. I ordered these from Amazon, just before I found out that I had a tiny amount of L.Gasseri high up in my vagina, so I'll see what happens.
KikiRose
There is a lot of great information in this thread. I think that a lot of women deal with bacterial vaginosis or vaginal smells in general and don't have a safe place to talk about them. I appreciate everybody who has shared their personal experiences here.
swt simplicity
QUOTE(crabcakes @ Jan 21 2012, 09:47 PM) *
Thank you so much for replying to my plea Sweet Simplicity, as for one, I know that I am not the only one who has suffered through this ordeal.
Well for one, my doctor allowed me to sniff the whiff test, and I admit, I smelled nothing at that time, but everytime I'm out and about I get the bad remarks that I haven't showered, or I need to douche, and this has been an ongoing thing since the diagnosis of 2009. First of all let me say that I do know quite a bit about vaginal care, so I do know the remarks weren't due to my cleanliness. In fact, I think that women who suffer from bacterial vaginosis or any type of body odor disorder are cleaner than the average person simply because they have this issue. I just did not appreciate the way my doctors and the nurses went out of their way to make me feel like I was making this up. Who would want to make up that they have feminine odor? Not me. They just don't understand the toll this has taken on my life. My doctor couldn't even explain to me why I didn't have any lactobacillus. The only way I knew I had a very minute amount of lactobacillus was by me being a fast reader because she was acting like she didn't want me to see my chart, but wanted to try another expensive procedure on me, while trying to figure out "my problem." I can't say for sure, but I think that I may need hormone balancing, I know that estrogen is what helps to keep the vagina happy and healthy, and I didn't start to experience these issues until the effects of the Depo Provera wore off. I have one more thing to say. Ladies, I know t is a rough ride dealing with this, there are times when I don't know if I may see another day due to the shame. It takes lactobacillus approximately 6-8 weeks to grow back to normal levels.

Well, sometimes the whiff test isn't performed properly. It was actually stated in (this study here) that the reasons why the whiff test may not be performed properly could have to do with the potency of the potassium hydroxide that is being used, the clinician might not use a sufficient amount of discharge, an absorbant material such as a cotton swab may alter the results, a clinician may not be sensitive to smells (usually due to age, lifestyle, etc.) and a clinician may not have smelled the sample close enough.

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. My gynecologist actually suggested that I speak to a psychiatrist because she believed that I was suffering from some kind of mental illness because I kept coming back complaining about an odor, which was obviously there, which other people could smell. I guess she really couldn't pick up on the smell since she even went so far as to refer me to a psychiatrist. I was so shocked. That was the last time I went in to see her.

I think it's worth a shot getting your hormone levels checked if you think your hormones are related to your bacterial vaginosis. A couple of women have had success using estrogen suppositories/creams, but everybodys different. I plan on getting my levels checked in the future. I've noticed certain things about my body that don't seem very normal in my opinion. My troubles did start after I started menstruating, and everything seems to get worse around "that time of the month" including a discharge that burns. It could be a reoccuring yeast infection, but I'm not sure since it clears up soon afterwards.

I hope all goes well with the vaginal l.gasseri probiotic suppositories. It seems like certain feminine probiotics only work so much for some people because everyone's vaginal flora is pretty diverse. Some women are colonized with certain bacterias, so probiotics work very temporarily since the bacterial just don't adhere to their flora.

I remember feeling that way when so many women were talking about how l.acidophilus was the cure for all vaginal infections. I took high doses of it everyday for months and no change. I think I actually got diarrhea from taking so much of it once. I wonder if there's a way to know which healthy bacteria someone's vaginal flora has the most of. That would be very helpful.
crabcakes
QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 23 2012, 11:27 PM) *
Well, sometimes the whiff test isn't performed properly. It was actually stated in (this study here) that the reasons why the whiff test may not be performed properly could have to do with the potency of the potassium hydroxide that is being used, the clinician might not use a sufficient amount of discharge, an absorbant material such as a cotton swab may alter the results, a clinician may not be sensitive to smells (usually due to age, lifestyle, etc.) and a clinician may not have smelled the sample close enough.

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. My gynecologist actually suggested that I speak to a psychiatrist because she believed that I was suffering from some kind of mental illness because I kept coming back complaining about an odor, which was obviously there, which other people could smell. I guess she really couldn't pick up on the smell since she even went so far as to refer me to a psychiatrist. I was so shocked. That was the last time I went in to see her.

I think it's worth a shot getting your hormone levels checked if you think your hormones are related to your bacterial vaginosis. A couple of women have had success using estrogen suppositories/creams, but everybodys different. I plan on getting my levels checked in the future. I've noticed certain things about my body that don't seem very normal in my opinion. My troubles did start after I started menstruating, and everything seems to get worse around "that time of the month" including a discharge that burns. It could be a reoccuring yeast infection, but I'm not sure since it clears up soon afterwards.

I hope all goes well with the vaginal l.gasseri probiotic suppositories. It seems like certain feminine probiotics only work so much for some people because everyone's vaginal flora is pretty diverse. Some women are colonized with certain bacterias, so probiotics work very temporarily since the bacterial just don't adhere to their flora.

I remember feeling that way when so many women were talking about how l.acidophilus was the cure for all vaginal infections. I took high doses of it everyday for months and no change. I think I actually got diarrhea from taking so much of it once. I wonder if there's a way to know which healthy bacteria someone's vaginal flora has the most of. That would be very helpful.

Hi Swt Simplicity, from quick reading my chart, there is a way for a woman to find out what kind of bacteria that is in the vagina, but it only comes with the full culture. It is almost like a pie chart with the percentages of flora, what kind it is, and these boxes with describing the type of flora that's contained in the chart. For instance, my chart only showed a little bit of l. Gasseri, and the rest of it was blank, there was no other flora, showing a major imbalance. Have you gotten rid of your vaginosis? If so, how did you do it? I am currently on the nuvaring because it was suggested on this forum, and during my research I found that it probably would help to replenish the lactobacillus to the vagina. The only problem I have with it is that I really don't want to be on birth control anymore. I am 35, and I would like to have more children one day, and I don't see that happening with the birth control. At this point I am willing to try the estriol and progeseterone cream to see if I can balance things out on my own, because doctors have certainly been no help to me. I know they will give me grief if I ask them for hormones because of my age, but just like you said in your post, something is definitely not right on this end either. I have hair on my face, chin, a light mustache, I am sweating a lot more than I used to, and sometimes I get so musty, I smell like I've been working on a construction sight but only under my right arm, that's weird. On top of all that I have extreme vaginal odor, that I can't keep to myself. I overheard one of my co workers say that they can smell me from at least 25 yards away, that is so not cool. My periods are also jumping all over the calendar, something is amiss here, and honestly, I am at a loss about what to do. I have done everything that I know how to do, except the over the counter hormones. I will not take anymore antibiotics, my doctor even put me on low dose antibiotics to take every day, I will not do that because it's not helping, and I'm probably doing more harm than good to the rest of my body. As far as crazy goes, if I ever get over this, I don't need any help from them with mental help, I'll seek my own, because of everything this has taken away from me, I know some counsel will mor than likely do some good with me moving forward with my life. Ohh the horror!
swt simplicity
QUOTE(crabcakes @ Jan 24 2012, 12:11 PM) *
Hi Swt Simplicity, from quick reading my chart, there is a way for a woman to find out what kind of bacteria that is in the vagina, but it only comes with the full culture. It is almost like a pie chart with the percentages of flora, what kind it is, and these boxes with describing the type of flora that's contained in the chart. For instance, my chart only showed a little bit of l. Gasseri, and the rest of it was blank, there was no other flora, showing a major imbalance. Have you gotten rid of your vaginosis? If so, how did you do it? I am currently on the nuvaring because it was suggested on this forum, and during my research I found that it probably would help to replenish the lactobacillus to the vagina. The only problem I have with it is that I really don't want to be on birth control anymore. I am 35, and I would like to have more children one day, and I don't see that happening with the birth control. At this point I am willing to try the estriol and progeseterone cream to see if I can balance things out on my own, because doctors have certainly been no help to me. I know they will give me grief if I ask them for hormones because of my age, but just like you said in your post, something is definitely not right on this end either. I have hair on my face, chin, a light mustache, I am sweating a lot more than I used to, and sometimes I get so musty, I smell like I've been working on a construction sight but only under my right arm, that's weird. On top of all that I have extreme vaginal odor, that I can't keep to myself. I overheard one of my co workers say that they can smell me from at least 25 yards away, that is so not cool. My periods are also jumping all over the calendar, something is amiss here, and honestly, I am at a loss about what to do. I have done everything that I know how to do, except the over the counter hormones. I will not take anymore antibiotics, my doctor even put me on low dose antibiotics to take every day, I will not do that because it's not helping, and I'm probably doing more harm than good to the rest of my body. As far as crazy goes, if I ever get over this, I don't need any help from them with mental help, I'll seek my own, because of everything this has taken away from me, I know some counsel will mor than likely do some good with me moving forward with my life. Ohh the horror!

The whole time I was dealing with the vaginal odor and discharge, I had a pH of about 4.4 and 4.5. My gynecologist even stated that my lactobacilli were normal. One day she swabbed me "around that time of the month" and she noticed strange yeasts in my cultures. It wasn't until I was doing regular boric acid suppositories that my flora was gone and she didn't see anything "swimming" under the microscope. The boric acid also helped kill what ever bacteria or yeast was causing the odor. I think in my case, I had a good amount of bacteria, but I also had a decent amount of yeast or bacteria that was causing trouble. What really helped was taking RepHresh Pro-B everyday (even though it's super expensive). The fact that the odor dissipated when I took the RepHresh Pro-B everyday proved that it was some kind of microflora imbalance.

I think my vaginitis could also have to do with the fact that I have an intestinal imbalance (IBS) as well. Some women with IBS have developed bacterial vaginosis or various vaginal infections around the time they developed IBS. It makes sense since the bacteria that makes up the vaginal flora descends from the small intestine.

My vaginal odor would change throughout the month---one day it would be musty, another day it would be stale, the next day it could be more fecal smelling, regardless of the fact that I was really hygenic and did everything that I could possibly do. I also noticed that the smell of my vaginal odor would change depending on what I ate. Sugar would cause a musty smell, milk would cause a sort of fishy smell, bread would cause a stale and musty smell ... I didn't have trouble with vegetables, meat or whole grains like oatmeal etc. Certain fruits would also cause a musty smell as well because most fruits are high in fructose (with the exception of citrus fruits and berries). Fructose is basically another word for sugar. Sugar often makes IBS worse because it causes an overgrowth of harmful bacteria in the small intestine because most fruits have a higher fructose to glucose ration. If the ratio of glucose to fructose is equal, then there won't be any digestive upsets, but if the ratio of fructose is higher, it goes to the small intestine where it wreaks havoc in people with IBS.

So, I have changed the way I eat. I limit my intake of FODMAPS (sugars). It's nearly impossible to eliminate all FODMAPS, but most people can handle a reasonable amount without getting a reaction such as bloating, cramping ect. That alone made a huge difference in my wellbeing, IBS and vaginal health. It seems like my IBS was causing all of the trouble which in turn caused a vaginal imbalance. Maybe I wasn't getting the bacteria I needed because of what was going on.

I feel as though I'm not producing enough estrogen. Just like you, I'm sort of "hairy" in the wrong places. My parents aren't hairy people, and all of the women in my family (with the exception of my aunt with her hairy legs) have virtually unnoticable amounts of body hair compared to me ... hairy legs, arms, fine hair on my back, a moustache etc. It's not like a case of hypertrichosis but I would say it's more hair than is typical on a female.

I also do experience a musty odor, especially if I feel very hot, but eliminating bread from my diet has controlled this considerably, but after I cool off, the odor goes away. Most of the odor is coming from my groin area, but I also think it's coming from my other apocrine glands (under arms maybe). The interesting thing is, even when I'm really hot, I rarely sweat, and if I do, it's in small amounts. I always thought this was unusual. I stay hydrated on water throughout the day, yet I'm still not able to sweat much ... it kind of makes me wonder.

My periods are regular, although, they are about 22 days apart, which seems pretty close in my opinion.

I plan on consulting with an endocrinologist in the future. I'm pretty sure I'm not producing enough hormones. I can assume I'll go on a low estrogen pill.
-------
Is the NuvaRing helping you become more regular? Doing hormonal treatments/remedies on your own can cause trouble simply because hormones play such a huge role in the body, and too much of a certain hormone can cause problems ... maybe increase your risk of certain reproductive cancers. Sometimes you only need small trace amounts (parts per billion) of a hormone in order to get things working properly.
Downwithbv
I just started taking folic acid & am going to test the apple cider vinegar bath & plain yogurt theories tonight & I just got boric acid but its in powder form so how would I use it? Any answers would be greatly appreciated! Oh btw I'm new @ this but Ive suffered from BV 3 times in the past 3 years & I dont want to take the antibiotics again since they're obviously a waste of time. Hope to hear from someone soon since the boric acid seems to help alot of women smile.gif
Downwithbv
I figured it out but thanks anyway lol. And thanks for everyones advice, I have high hopes for these home remedies & will make an update in a couple weeks.
girlwithwings
I'm back after mentioning what worked for me and being shot down. After reading more I'm sorry I ever let ya'll make me think I'M NUTS for using colloidal silver to help with this problem. (I use it in my vagina as well as ingest it..it's not toxic unless you drink like an entire bottle at once or take tons for years and years, esp. Sovereign Silver, which I use. No one had mentioned, that I read at first when this was developing about using boric acid and that people who are allergic to sulfer and or sulfa drugs should not use it. God only knows what happens to THOSE unfortunate souls. When I ingest any amount of it I vomit for days, I can only imagine what it would do in "there".

Anyways, I'm back b/c I have it again after over a year without. It came back when I got food poisoning from shellfish. I thought that was super strange. Also, I'm pregnant and my midwife said I should use betadine. I'm going to try it this time b/c she is a wise woman too. Anyway, just wanted to say I been doing really good and stopped taking all the stuff I was taking but now I'm back on all of it and going to try new things, so so so glad I did not use the boric acid or hydrogen peroxide...I think silver is actually less scary and even it some of you don't agree (having not ever tried it. no less) and the OMG! people when you say that, a very trusted holistic Dr. friend told me to do it- he was right. Hell, I could not have a baby till I took a homeopathic remedy he gave me- he's totally awesome... I think it's a useful thing, esp. for those of us who ARE allergic to sulfer...and I'll let ya'll know how it goes with my same method, plus betadine.

hakuna matata on any other day.
girlwithwings
I am back, and a week later.. with oral and vaginal colloidial silver.. I am better. like, all better. And BTW, to all the naysayers..are YOU medical doctors? No? well then my method is just as safe as yours. For all the new ladies, boric acid in your vagina, which is toxic taken internally is NOT any "safer" than a product that is non toxic to your entire body...I also have been using a peri bottle with betadine solution, just on the outside after I pee...anyways..one week later and my pussy is happy again! yayyyyy.. also, just wanted to say sugar is the worst thing for BV, for me...like..it's immediate almost..drink a soda (even a natural soda) and bam! itchy town. peace, love and non smelly vaginas!!
WinterIce
I know its been forever and ever since I have posted but as an update I am still BV free. Vh Essential BV capsules seem to work for me. I see they have additional follow up pills for BV now as well, I have not tried thise yet but I plan to. The line is Homeopathy so its not exactly a medicine, it just get your body to do it job to clear up the madness going on there.
LJS
I have been fighting a BV infection since January and even the Dr seems to have given up. Like everyone else the antibiotic gives me a yeast infection and shortly after that is gone the BV returns again anyway. The nurse said and this is exactly what she said "your vag is so F'd up, just don't put anything in it for 2 weeks. Nothing, don't even use soap to shower, just water. We don't know what else to do. Just see if it will clear up on it's own."

They had me using vaginal probiotics also. Well, I found one on my own that I thought I would pass along because it seems to be working. I was not waiting 2 weeks and doing nothing and finding out I would just get worse. This one is made by "Jarrow Formulas" called fem dophilus. You can purchase it at The Vitamin Shoppe but it is cheaper thru Amazon.com. I have to use way more than the recommened dosage. I am now taking 2 pills every 4 hours, but hope to cut back as I stabilize. It's been 2 weeks and no burn or other BV symptoms.
varginia
LJS,

I have not tried the one you mentioned but have used a product called Femanol and was very pleased with the results. It took about a week to totally eliminate the odor but it started getting better in 3-4 days. I bought a 3 month supply and am almost done and I have no odor at all. I will order more just because I am scared to stop taking it as I have had this problem for almost a year and am so happy it is gone.

I just don't want to risk it coming back. Good luck to you, I know how this can mess with your mind.

Varginia,
LJS
Varginia,
My main problem is the constant burn. I don't have the problem with odor. At least not so far. I had a hysterectomy at a young age and I don't know if that's why some of my symptoms were different or not. My daughter is 26 and also suffers from BV but has the more common symptoms. That's how mine got out of control at the beginning because I was misdiagnosed by 2 different doctors. I will keep the name of your probiotic as my body resists most medicines and also builds up a resistance to them very fast. Thanks for responding.
LJS
varginia
LJS,

Just to be clear, Femanol is not my product but just one I recommend. Are you sure BV is your problem as it is normally accompanied by a fishy vaginal smell, although there are exceptions.

There are numerous causes of vaginal burning and if it is caused by Candida albicans or a bacterial imbalance it is a likely Femanol could help. However if it turns out to be a STD or hormonal issue then no.

Hope this helps.

Varginia,

QUOTE(LJS @ May 8 2012, 07:01 PM) *
Varginia,
My main problem is the constant burn. I don't have the problem with odor. At least not so far. I had a hysterectomy at a young age and I don't know if that's why some of my symptoms were different or not. My daughter is 26 and also suffers from BV but has the more common symptoms. That's how mine got out of control at the beginning because I was misdiagnosed by 2 different doctors. I will keep the name of your probiotic as my body resists most medicines and also builds up a resistance to them very fast. Thanks for responding.
LJS

LJS
Varginia,
Yes, I do have BV. I was tested at my Gyno for STD's, yeast, and BV. Came out negative for everything except BV. I started having the symtoms again, so purchased the Femanol. I have been using it for 11 days, and am hoping it is not just wishful thinking but I believe I am just now starting to notice a positive change. Thank you.
LJS
kaylan80
Hey everyone,

I'm super frustrated at the moment, my current episode of bv is really bad and is not going away. I've had it several times now,and each time it gets worse and harder to treat sad.gif I've been trying yogurt directly in the vagina and taking supplements, also washing with hydrogen peroxide. but it hasnt worked and now I feel like such a mess with all these treatments on top of my regular bv issues.. can you reccommend something that has worked for you? Help! sad.gif
neverending
So Gosh, I must have jinxed myself cause today i smelled kinda sourdough. Sheesh so I did a finger check and it wasnt good. mind you i just went through 10years of chronic bv. now its coming back. ughhhhhhh.........
kaylan80
QUOTE(neverending @ Jun 16 2012, 10:23 PM) *
So Gosh, I must have jinxed myself cause today i smelled kinda sourdough. Sheesh so I did a finger check and it wasnt good. mind you i just went through 10years of chronic bv. now its coming back. ughhhhhhh.........

omg ten years that is awful! I'm worried that my bv has become chronic, I've been dealing with it for almost a year, and have been treated several times and now had about 4 recurrences. How do you tell chronic BV from a regular infection??
neverending
QUOTE(kaylan80 @ Jun 19 2012, 12:02 AM) *
omg ten years that is awful! I'm worried that my bv has become chronic, I've been dealing with it for almost a year, and have been treated several times and now had about 4 recurrences. How do you tell chronic BV from a regular infection??

Girl, YES, ten plus years. It started out with a rotten stench, then became fishy, then musty, now its Sourdough/ trash. Gosh, gotta get a check up soon but yeah, i've been chronic and its returned and yes it may began to be chronic again.
kaylan80
Yeah i have all that, the fishy smell mostly. the last time i went to the doc was probably the worst mine had gotten, high ph, lots of bacteria, she said i had almost no good bacteria. I took anti-bs but after my period it came back strong again, this is definitely chronic bv... sigh any ideas on ways to control the smell or discharge. I don't think antibiotics are going to work for me right now
iwillsurvive
QUOTE(neverending @ Jun 20 2012, 07:27 PM) *
Girl, YES, ten plus years. It started out with a rotten stench, then became fishy, then musty, now its Sourdough/ trash. Gosh, gotta get a check up soon but yeah, i've been chronic and its returned and yes it may began to be chronic again.

I have been dealing with this imbalance for over 12 years! Just two years ago I researched the boric acid and it cleared up for about a year. I used y. arrest and it worked but when they changed the formula--it now does not work. I make my own boric acid suppositories & just last week I started using a liquid acidophilus filling suppositories up with it and using it along with my boric acid. After using the boric acid alone for 3 weeks(it cleared up after 3 days on the boric acid)but two days after I stopped it came back. So I restarted again this time including the acidophilus & garlic pills. I was inserting the acidophilus suppositories during the day & orally taking it with meals. Then at night the boric acid suppositories. Did this for another week. So a total of 4 weeks this time around. After a few days I smell the ammonia coming back and that alerts me that my bv is about to begin again. So I am starting back... AGAIN! The thing with chronic bv is that (well how I feel about it ) is that you will always have to monitor it and get on a maintenance program. Like dieting. As a matter of fact I know sugar can affect bv negatively but also vitamin deficiencies can make you susceptible to chronic bv. I am still researching methods & also checking into my own vitamin deficiencies .... Still after all these years. I do not want to smell unpleasant around the one I love or anyone even myself! I really hate hate dealing with this and worrying about it. The fishy smell used to be so so so bad. Like when I workout not even a bulky pad could mask the stink but I have to be thankful that at least I can control it before it gets that far but I cannot even be off the boric acid for too long(like two days) before the smell starts. Chronic ! I hate this with a passion! I am still experimenting. I cannot use any of the perioxide stuff because it burns(didnt work anyways). I think they say if we are low in zinc we may be setting ourselves up for chronic bv but if you researching other vitamins they list others too. I have learned more about my condition in the past two months. Really it should be called an imbalance and you cannot treat with only antibiotics. Antibiotics kill off good bacteria(I dont know how much) but thats kinda defeating the purpose of the vagina in need of good bacteria. I also can state that my diet has been the best in years.... I do low carbs (under 30 mg per day) & no bread or pasta no wheat. I drink 140 + ounces of water per day and have been for the last 6 months. So I can rule out my diet being a contributor of this chronic bv. Just keep on tweeking your maintenance program or get on one and also keep researching other methods. I have never had my ph checked I may do that too just so I can know what it is. Just keep on keeping on. I wished that the y.a I used before never had changed their formula. It cleared up my bv for months. The boric acid I use know is what you get at the pharmacy but maybe it is just not strong enough for me like the y.a was. I hate that! I will keep trying so should you all. I will keep you informed of my progress and also the treatments I am using. If more details are needed I will provide them for anyone. If anyone has any questions that I can answer from my experience of this chronic bv I will be more than happy to answer them. By the way even though I am somewhat controlling my bv with the boric acid I still never got rid of the slight brown discharge. So that gives me a hint that this boric acid may be too weak for me because with the original formula of the y.a it cleared up the odor and discharge. Also, it left me dry! I missed that formula. I am thinking not all boric acid strengths are alike.
iwillsurvive
QUOTE(iwillsurvive @ Jun 25 2012, 08:58 PM) *
I have been dealing with this imbalance for over 12 years! Just two years ago I researched the boric acid and it cleared up for about a year. I used y. arrest and it worked but when they changed the formula--it now does not work. I make my own boric acid suppositories & just last week I started using a liquid acidophilus filling suppositories up with it and using it along with my boric acid. After using the boric acid alone for 3 weeks(it cleared up after 3 days on the boric acid)but two days after I stopped it came back. So I restarted again this time including the acidophilus & garlic pills. I was inserting the acidophilus suppositories during the day & orally taking it with meals. Then at night the boric acid suppositories. Did this for another week. So a total of 4 weeks this time around. After a few days I smell the ammonia coming back and that alerts me that my bv is about to begin again. So I am starting back... AGAIN! The thing with chronic bv is that (well how I feel about it ) is that you will always have to monitor it and get on a maintenance program. Like dieting. As a matter of fact I know sugar can affect bv negatively but also vitamin deficiencies can make you susceptible to chronic bv. I am still researching methods & also checking into my own vitamin deficiencies .... Still after all these years. I do not want to smell unpleasant around the one I love or anyone even myself! I really hate hate dealing with this and worrying about it. The fishy smell used to be so so so bad. Like when I workout not even a bulky pad could mask the stink but I have to be thankful that at least I can control it before it gets that far but I cannot even be off the boric acid for too long(like two days) before the smell starts. Chronic ! I hate this with a passion! I am still experimenting. I cannot use any of the perioxide stuff because it burns(didnt work anyways). I think they say if we are low in zinc we may be setting ourselves up for chronic bv but if you researching other vitamins they list others too. I have learned more about my condition in the past two months. Really it should be called an imbalance and you cannot treat with only antibiotics. Antibiotics kill off good bacteria(I dont know how much) but thats kinda defeating the purpose of the vagina in need of good bacteria. I also can state that my diet has been the best in years.... I do low carbs (under 30 mg per day) & no bread or pasta no wheat. I drink 140 + ounces of water per day and have been for the last 6 months. So I can rule out my diet being a contributor of this chronic bv. Just keep on tweeking your maintenance program or get on one and also keep researching other methods. I have never had my ph checked I may do that too just so I can know what it is. Just keep on keeping on. I wished that the y.a I used before never had changed their formula. It cleared up my bv for months. The boric acid I use know is what you get at the pharmacy but maybe it is just not strong enough for me like the y.a was. I hate that! I will keep trying so should you all. I will keep you informed of my progress and also the treatments I am using. If more details are needed I will provide them for anyone. If anyone has any questions that I can answer from my experience of this chronic bv I will be more than happy to answer them. By the way even though I am somewhat controlling my bv with the boric acid I still never got rid of the slight brown discharge. So that gives me a hint that this boric acid may be too weak for me because with the original formula of the y.a it cleared up the odor and discharge. Also, it left me dry! I missed that formula. I am thinking not all boric acid strengths are alike.

UPDATE: I called the pharmacy and asked if there is a such thing as prescription strength boric acid or if some people do better with a different brand. She totally missed my question. She states that there are 400 or 600 mg suppository capsules that they can make for customers. I checked the MSDS and it states what I have is nearly 100% boric acid then that is what you get. I wonder if it is true that boric acid can maybe deplete the good bacteria and or maybe I need to develop a better boric acid & probiotic system. Like I stated earlier the y.a worked (the old formula) and kept the bv away for a while. This boric acid I am using(I bought it off of Ebay) Humco seems not to be working for me in that it only works when I am taking it but as soon as I am off of it within two days bv ammonia smell starts coming back. I have to do a lot of trial in error with maybe some other products.
kvee
[b]Hello everyone.

I am not sure for how long I have been suffering from BV. My only symptom is the fishy smell. I have congenital anosmia (no sense of smell). My boyfriend told me a few months ago about the smell, made an appt with my gyno and she Rx Metro Gel, the smell went away from March til July. I am a stinker again. A few days ago, the boyfriend told me that he had noticed the smell since we started dating (3 years ago) but always connected it to sweat and hot climate. That's why I say that I have no idea for how long Ive been dealing with this, if none of my other partners before him thought much about it..

So, I do not really want to get on antibiotics again so Ive been doing research on this topic and it's humbling to see how many of us suffer from this, some are stories with happy endings and others no to much.

This is my second day on this home remedy ordeal.
I bought some cranberry pills ( cranberry is supposed to acts as a barrier to bacteria)
I also started introduced probiotics to my diet (Kefir and good ol' plain yogurt - make sure they have live cultures)
As a vaginal treatment. I bought cheap probiotics at walmart (non refrigerated) and pulverized them. Then I mixed them with this milk-based probiotic super liquid (Found in the vitamin refrigerated section at Sprouts). Made I paste and applied it with the applicator I got with the MetroGel.

I am wondering, though.. if I am doing something stupid here. I am taking cranberry ( which is a barrier to all bacteria?) and then introducing bacteria.. that might not stay in because of the cranberry.

My question is, does cranberry works for good and bad bacteria. I am aware that BV is an imbalance of bacteria, and the bad boys are taking ove

Thank you much!
[/b]
kaylan80
Hi Kvee,

I don;t think your boyfriend saying you smell is enough to know for sure what the problem is. How did your doctor diagnose you? i wouldn't worry about cranberry doing anything, I would worry that your home vaginal treatment is going to make the problem worse. I would make another appointment ASAP, have an exam and if you get antibiotics, get pills not a gel, and ask to have some for your boyfriend too. I think metro-gel gives a lot of problems with BV coming back, but try the antibiotics again and take them just as prescribed. IF you truely have BV you need to try medication a few times, it SHOULD clear it up. Good luck

Kayla

QUOTE(kvee @ Aug 1 2012, 12:45 PM) *
[b]Hello everyone.

I am not sure for how long I have been suffering from BV. My only symptom is the fishy smell. I have congenital anosmia (no sense of smell). My boyfriend told me a few months ago about the smell, made an appt with my gyno and she Rx Metro Gel, the smell went away from March til July. I am a stinker again. A few days ago, the boyfriend told me that he had noticed the smell since we started dating (3 years ago) but always connected it to sweat and hot climate. That's why I say that I have no idea for how long Ive been dealing with this, if none of my other partners before him thought much about it..

So, I do not really want to get on antibiotics again so Ive been doing research on this topic and it's humbling to see how many of us suffer from this, some are stories with happy endings and others no to much.

I bought some cranberry pills ( cranberry is supposed to acts as a barrier to bacteria)
I also started introduced probiotics to my diet (Kefir and good ol' plain yogurt - make sure they have live cultures)
As a vaginal treatment. I bought cheap probiotics at walmart (non refrigerated) and pulverized them. Then I mixed them with this milk-based probiotic super liquid (Found in the vitamin refrigerated section at Sprouts). Made I paste and applied it with the applicator I got with the MetroGel.

I am wondering, though.. if I am doing something stupid here. I am taking cranberry ( which is a barrier to all bacteria?) and then introducing bacteria.. that might not stay in because of the cranberry.

My question is, does cranberry works for good and bad bacteria. I am aware that BV is an imbalance of bacteria, and the bad boys are taking ove
Thank you much!
[/b]

kvee
QUOTE(kaylan80 @ Aug 1 2012, 09:20 PM) *
Hi Kvee,

I don;t think your boyfriend saying you smell is enough to know for sure what the problem is. How did your doctor diagnose you? i wouldn't worry about cranberry doing anything, I would worry that your home vaginal treatment is going to make the problem worse. I would make another appointment ASAP, have an exam and if you get antibiotics, get pills not a gel, and ask to have some for your boyfriend too. I think metro-gel gives a lot of problems with BV coming back, but try the antibiotics again and take them just as prescribed. IF you truely have BV you need to try medication a few times, it SHOULD clear it up. Good luck

Kayla

hi Kayla,

Sorry I didnt mentioned I was diagnosed with BV and went on antibiotics treatments prescribed by my OBGYN but the BV always comes back. I do not want to spend my life on antibiotics.

Last night, my bf mentioned that the smell is less pronounced. I am doing the treatment again today and hopefully the smell will be less and less. Remember, I have no sense of smell, so I have to wait for someone to smell me sad.gif

Thank you
swt simplicity
QUOTE(kvee @ Aug 1 2012, 01:45 PM) *
[b]Hello everyone.

Thank you much!
[/b]

Hi!

After reading your story, I'd like to offer some of my advice. I have a lot of advice to give, so here goes ...

A probiotic should be taken whole since it is meant to survive the low pH of the stomach acid (which is a pH of 2) and dissolve within the small and large intestine. Certain strains of probiotics won't adhere to the vaginal epithelium either, such as dairy sourced lactobacillus acidophilus and most probiotics that are found over the counter as those are sourced from dairy. I don't know what brand or type of probiotic bacteria your taking but, you want a high amount of colony forming units (cfu's) if you want a noticeable effect. A small amount of CFU's (such as a billion or less) will only provide a therapeutic effect which is beneficial to those who are taking probiotics for general welling being, but not enough to be noticeable in someone with an active infection or GI dysfunction. Aim for 5 million or more CFU's. Kudos for purchasing the plain yogurt and kefir. Is the kefir plain too?

Eating plain yogurt 2-3 times a day is also very beneficial. Even though yogurt on average has 100 million live bacteria at the time of manufacture (which is a very small amount), the bacteria often survives the harsh stomach acid and it passes through the GI tract crowding out harmful bacteria. It would be better if you could make your own yogurt at home. It's very easy since there are affordable yogurt machines and you can buy the cultures too. It's fresher and there will be more live bacteria at the time of consumption. Yogurt on store shelves could have been sitting around for days; by the time you eat the yogurt, most of the bacteria may not have survived. I highly suggest that you take a probiotic like Fem-Dophilus or RepHresh Pro B. Those are the only probiotics that are clinically proven to work for the balancing the vaginal flora including women with bacterial vaginosis. I've tried them both and they helped me so much.

I don't think probiotics that are meant to be digested will dissolve properly or work well applied in the vagina since most probiotics have coatings on them. Of the vaginal suppositories that I've heard of, none of them have really proven to be successful in treating bacterial vaginosis. Not even boric acid is successful in treating bacterial vaginosis. It works for a short time and then the infection comes right back, and it's probably not healthy to be putting a strong acid in the vagina over and over again, plus it kills the healthy bacteria too; it's mainly helpful for stubborn yeast infections. I know one brand in particular that is sold at drugstores called V.H. Essentials BV Treatment suppositories; it has a lot of great reviews on Amazon, getting 3.5/5 stars from 91 reviews. But, I'm skeptical of whether it works or not. In my opinion, it seems too good to be true.

Then there is another suppository called Pur Fem which seems promising. It contains an abundant amount of healthy bacteria (10 billion at the time of manufacture) called lactobacillus rhamnosus and lactobacillus gasseri that is normally found in the vaginal flora of healthy women. I'm skeptical of this as well since it doesn't state whether the bacteria count will stay alive by the expiration date. There could be a lot of dead bacteria in the suppositories by the time someone uses it. And another strange thing is, it's being recommended for trichomoniasis which is an STD, and I'm pretty sure that can't be treated with probiotics.

I also highly suggest eating prebiotics which are non-digestible fibers that are naturally occuring in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Prebiotics stimulate healthy bacteria in the GI tract because fibers don't break down so the intestinal bacteria has to ferment them; this action is what stimulates the colonic bacteria. Foods high in prebiotics are generally foods that are high in fiber such as raw Jerusalem artichoke, garlic, dandelion greens, onions, raw asparagus, bananas, whole wheat flour, raw wheat bran, soy beans, oat, groats, etc. Cooking these foods denatures the nutrients and fibers inside, so it's best to eat those foods raw or steam them to allow the fiber to work it's magic.

I know cranberry juice is good for preventing urinary tract infections; I don't know if the same applies for bacterial vaginosis. You can keep taking it to see if it helps. It couldn't hurt.

Also, make sure your getting the recommended daily amount of vitamin A in your diet, which is 600 micrograms a day. It's a nutrient that is very important for the vaginal epithelium (the cells that line the vagina) as well as the epithelium of the intestines too. An unhealthy vaginal epithelium is more likely to become infected since the cells, lining and mucous aren't functioning properly. A healthy epithelium produces a healthy lining and healthy mucous which protects from harmful microorganisms. Dark green vegetables, deep orange vegetables and purple fruits are an excellent source of vitamin A. One cup of sweet potatoes contains over 400% of the RDA, which is okay since the tolerable intake is as high as 3,000 micrograms per day.

Some things to keep in mind about nutrients is absorption. Certain nutrients are absorbed better when they are taken along with other nutrients. For example, iron is absorbed well in the presence of vitamin C; vitamin E deficiency affects the absorption and storage of vitamin A; calcium and magnesium also work well together. The beauty of whole foods is they often contain an abundance of nutrients that function well together. For example, the sweet potato is high in vitamin A, but it also contains other vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, manganese, vitamin B6, tryptophan, potassium, fiber, vitamin B5, copper, and vitamin B3. All of those nutrients can't be found in one vitamin or supplement pill; even if they were, the supplement would be expensive. All of those nutrients work together and enhance each others absorption.

Americans generally don't have to worry about nutrient deficiencies. It's pretty rare in the U.S.A. The main issue is mostly saturated fats, trans fat, hydrogenated foods etc. ... these things can alter a persons blood lipid profile (which accounts for cholesterol [HDL and LDL], triglycerides and lipoproteins (all of which carry very important functions throughout the body). Cholesterol aids in the synthesis of vitamin D and hormones, while triglycerides are the major storage form of fat in the body, lipoproteins transport fats in the blood. Improper functioning of someones blood lipids can result in metabolic disorders that kill millions of people every year. In short, saturated fats, trans fats and hydrogenated foods etc. increase the risk of bacterial vaginosis (source).

And, if you continue to take antibiotics, or anything that is going to kill a lot of the bacterial flora in your intestines and/or urogenital tract (vagina and urinary tract), make sure you take a probiotic everyday. It's critical to replenish the lost bacteria since the depletion of healthy bacteria can further exacerbate your infection.

I'm sending good vibes your way and hoping your infection goes away for good.
I know it can be very frustrating.

Good luck!
smile.gif
arj75
Hello everyone,

I have been dealing with chronic bv for longer than I care to think of. My heart goes out to you all! I have used probiotics off and on during the years. I believe as our science advances, that an end to this problem is in sight. When I have time, I try to educate myself and keep up with any new clinical studies as they become available.

Swt Simplicity - I noticed that you suggested adding prebiotics into our diets. I have read some case studies..(mostly involving animals ) lol that prebiotics are just as complex as probiotics. XOS, IMO, GOS, GTO, FOS, MOS to name some. If I remember correctly IMO supported the lactobacillus group the best. I commonly see what foods can provide the body with GOS, but not FOS, or IMO. Have you came across any helpful information concerning the prebiotics?

swt simplicity
QUOTE(arj75 @ Aug 12 2012, 08:25 PM) *
Hello everyone,

I have been dealing with chronic bv for longer than I care to think of. My heart goes out to you all! I have used probiotics off and on during the years. I believe as our science advances, that an end to this problem is in sight. When I have time, I try to educate myself and keep up with any new clinical studies as they become available.

Swt Simplicity - I noticed that you suggested adding prebiotics into our diets. I have read some case studies..(mostly involving animals ) lol that prebiotics are just as complex as probiotics. XOS, IMO, GOS, GTO, FOS, MOS to name some. If I remember correctly IMO supported the lactobacillus group the best. I commonly see what foods can provide the body with GOS, but not FOS, or IMO. Have you came across any helpful information concerning the prebiotics?

Of the studies that I have read about prebiotics, the results are very promising. However, most of the studies I have read tend to be very brief and they don't contain large enough sample groups, nor are these studies very comprehensive. I don't think the science world has fully caught onto studying prebiotics yet. I'm sure that is the next thing to come considering so much research has been done on probiotics.

When eating prebiotics, it's important to be careful of the source. One substance that has one of the highest levels of prebiotics is chicory root; a lot of companies have been fortifying their energy bars and granola bars with it. The chicory root allows the company to claim the product is high in fiber. The interesting thing is, chicory root has been shown to boost good bacteria in the intestines, but some research has shown it also boosts unhealthy bacteria in the intestines as well. It seems as though chicory root doesn't specifically target the healthy bacteria, but potentially all of the bacteria. If someone has poor intestinal flora, they could be making their intestinal flora worse by feeding the predominating unhealthy bacteria. Chicory has been shown to cause digestive issues in some people, such as gas (fermenting bacteria), abdominal cramping (high fiber content), gastrointestinal irritation, bloating ... it goes to show how important it is to do a little bit of research when marching into unfamiliar territory. Most of those energy bars are also very high in sugar as well.

A recent alert going on in the food industry has been due to acrylamide. A compound that forms when carbohydrates are cooked past 248 degrees Fahrenheit that is shown to cause cancer. Potato chips and french fries have the highest levels of acrylamide. Coffee, breakfast cereals, baked breads, donuts, and similar processed foods also contain high levels of acrylamide if they are cooked at or past 248 degrees Fahrenheit. Researchers are now trying to alter the compounds that form acrylamide (source).

The unfortunate thing about these health alerts is they are rarely made public.
kaylan80
hi all,

my question is about douching and chronic bv. I have heard it so many times NOT to douch because this makes bv worse, but all the most popular remedies (hydrogen peroxide, betadine, apple cider vinegar) all involve using the remedy as douche. Is it possible these do harm as well as good?? I'm really struggling with repeated bouts of bacterial vaginosis, but I already have a very healthy, mostly vegetarian diet and I don't know what else to try, any advice is appreciated..
swt simplicity
QUOTE(kaylan80 @ Aug 26 2012, 08:36 PM) *
hi all,

my question is about douching and chronic bv. I have heard it so many times NOT to douch because this makes bv worse, but all the most popular remedies (hydrogen peroxide, betadine, apple cider vinegar) all involve using the remedy as douche. Is it possible these do harm as well as good?? I'm really struggling with repeated bouts of bacterial vaginosis, but I already have a very healthy, mostly vegetarian diet and I don't know what else to try, any advice is appreciated..

Hi Kaylan,

I'm sorry to hear your dealing with chronic bacterial vaginosis. I have a couple of suggestions for you.

The main issue with douching and bacterial vaginosis is it can propel harmful microorganisms past the cervix. Keep in mind, the vagina is trying to stay acidic in order to protect the uterus and sexual reproductive organs from infection and disease. If harmful bacteria get past the cervix, there are serious consequences, such as pelvic inflammatory disease which is chronic and can lead to infertility among other things.

I'm familiar with those remedies that your talking about that suggest things such as douching with apple cider vinegar, betadine, or hydrogen peroxide etc. Something to consider when treating an infection such as bacterial vaginosis is the bacteria or microorganisms that are causing the infection. Sometimes certain formulations are too weak to have much of an effect on the bacteria, or the bacteria will learn to adapt in order to survive. Certain formulations are not appropriate for treating certain infectious microorganisms.

I think in the case of chronic bacterial vaginosis, douching won't have much of an effect since the bacteria being dealt with is probably very resistant and hard to treat so something like apple cider vinegar, betadine or hydrogen peroxide would be too weak to treat it. If you plan on trying herbal remedies, I'll leave some reliable sources that you can use to get reliable information pertaining to herbal remedies, integrative medicine, complementary medicine and alternative medicine (all of which deal with natural remedies). You may want to look into remedies that enhance immune function and display broad spectrum antimicrobial activity. I've reviewed plenty of studies that have used natural herbs to fight bacteria, parasites and some viruses. But supplements aren't regulated and the strength varies, and you can never be too sure of how much you need in order to see a difference, but many of them do have an effect.

It's great to know your on a healthy vegetarian diet. Vegetarian diets are definitely one of the healthiest so long as the diet is a well balanced vegetarian diet. You may or may not know this, but I'll mention it just in case (as well as for others who may consider going vegetarian). Certain nutrients aren't as bio-available in vegetarian diets, particularly zinc, iron, calcium, protein, vitamin D and omega 3's. Those nutrients have a higher bioavailability in meat and diary products than from plant foods. Vegetarian diets can also decrease the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals. I'll leave some suggested links you can read about on this.

Vitamin D has been linked to a higher prevalence of bacterial vaginosis. Normally it's associated with bone health, but it also serves an important role in immune function as well. A lack of zinc hasn't been directly linked to bacterial vaginosis, but it does serve a very important role in the body ranging from immune function, wound healing and proper cell function (source). Vitamin B12 also serves an important role in cell synthesis. Iron carries oxygen to cells, and most women to not get enough causing anemia, and we also menstruate every month too which also affects iron stores in the body. Protein is highly abundant and serves many roles in the body, way too many to even begin mentioning, but all very important as well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to consult with a registered dietitian to be sure your diet contains adequate amounts of essential nutrients and trace minerals just to be on the safe side.

Suggestive Sources:
  1. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Fact Sheet
  2. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
  3. Office of Dietary Supplements
  4. Bioavailability of Iron, Zinc and Other Trace Minerals from Vegetarian Diets
  5. Factors in Vegetarian Diets Influencing Iron and Zinc Bioavailability (also talks about what decreases bioavailability and what you can do to increase availability of certain minerals and nutrients)

Good luck Kaylan
smile.gif
kaylan80
Thank you smile.gif that is good info, although I was hoping you would say it was OK since I am looking for ANYTHING to help me control my symptoms. Has anyone had success with the garlic clove or yogurt insertion treatment?? seems a little less invasive than douching.

what about other health factors? I also suffer from frequent indigestion/constipation, allergies & mild-moderate asthma.. do you think that could having something to do with it???
swt simplicity
QUOTE(kaylan80 @ Aug 29 2012, 07:42 PM) *
Thank you smile.gif that is good info, although I was hoping you would say it was OK since I am looking for ANYTHING to help me control my symptoms. Has anyone had success with the garlic clove or yogurt insertion treatment?? seems a little less invasive than douching.

what about other health factors? I also suffer from frequent indigestion/constipation, allergies & mild-moderate asthma.. do you think that could having something to do with it???

I know how you feel. I've tried douching (once), plain yogurt insertion at bed time and a garlic suppository. All of them didn't help and actually caused my vaginitis to get worse. The garlic actually mixed with my natural vaginal scent and created a very unpleasant aroma that lasted until the following day and it also burned even when I wrapped it in gauze. The yogurt also created a strong odor that smelled like dry erase markers. The douching didn't work; it just rinsed me out and also increased the odor for what ever reason. But then again, everyone is different. However, nobody has ever broken down those treatments to an exact science proving why they work, how much to use, what brand etc. That is usually the problem.

I think if your willing to try alternative treatments, you can see a doctor or practitioner who specializes in alternative medicine or complementary/integrative medicine. A lot of them actually go to medical school and are certified and specialize in holistic remedies. They can also help you with any preexisting conditions.

I've frequented other forums where women who have digestive issues often have reoccurring vaginal infections such as bacterial vaginosis and yeast infections. Some of them noticed that after they started experiencing digestive issues, they started having problems with vaginal infections. It makes a lot of sense since the digestive tract makes up 70% of the immune system. If something is going wrong in the digestive tract, various organs in the body will show signs of disturbance.

I've been reading a lot of scientific literature stating that our society is so clean that people are more likely these days to have gastrointestinal disorders, eczema, allergies and asthma. One of the best ways for our bodies to build immunity is through ingesting microorganisms. Since were not getting enough exposure to these organisms, our bodies tend to overreact to even common toxins (like dust, pollen, milk, nuts etc.) causing inflammation. This inflammation, especially if it is chronic is not good. Chronic inflammation increases the likelihood of infection among even more serious things like cancer.

Have you tried using an acidifying vaginal gel? Replens (here) and RepHresh Vaginal Gel (here) have low pH's. Some women on here have had success with BalanceActiv (here), but you might want to search through the forum to read about their specific cases. BalanceActiv is specifically marketed towards women with bacterial vaginosis in Europe. You can only get it online. It's a mainstream treatment for bacterial vaginosis in Europe. We unfortunately don't have one yet. You want to use something that will lower your vaginal pH and create a very hostile environment for the harmful bacteria. This will be helpful for lactobacilli as well. Those gels have pH buffers which contain glycogen which feed the lactic acid bacterial (lactobacilli). You should also take probiotics, probably for a very long time until your sure that your pretty stable in terms of vaginal health. Fem-Dophilus (here) is your best bet and it comes in the 60 count bottle. I used to order mine off of the internet, but I suggest picking it up from a health food store if you can and bring a cooler with ice packs in it with you to keep it cold on the way back home. Once my order came a day late and that isn't good for cold items. You'll probably need to take two capsules everyday until you notice an improvement after that, you can take one capsule if you feel ready to.

Chronic bacterial vaginosis often requires longer treatments. A lot of women have a had a lot of success with strict regimen's while others hit the jackpot using a combination of things and their bacterial vaginosis never returns. But most importantly, try to be skeptical of treatments and careful with whatever your trying.
princessmombi
Hi everyone.
I was wondering if anyone else experienced vaginal dryness with the use of femdophilus (oral). I know this is tmi but my stuff was never dry before during sex and now it is :/ i just want a normal pum pum ! And on top of that whenever i stop the femd my smell comes back. Swt simplicty i think the fruit and veggie thing is excellent advice im gonna start eating more nutrients and see if that makes a difference with my vaginal mucous. And one thing i wanted to share, i have a family member who works for whole foods and he stated to me that femd does not come to them refrigerated. He gets it off the truck himself and it arrives in boxes, warm blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif So keep in mind these stores might have them in the fridge at purchase but you dont know how long it spent on a truck and in the warm months that could mean that its lost potency quite a bit by the time you take it. I prefer toget mine from iherb because it is kept refrigerated and arrives packed cold and before 10 am the next day and if u buy a few at a time the $12 extra it cost to get priority next day shipping pays for itself!! Just my two cents! Happy labor day errybody be safe!!
swt simplicity
QUOTE(princessmombi @ Sep 3 2012, 10:55 AM) *
And one thing i wanted to share, i have a family member who works for whole foods and he stated to me that femd does not come to them refrigerated. He gets it off the truck himself and it arrives in boxes, warm blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif So keep in mind these stores might have them in the fridge at purchase but you dont know how long it spent on a truck and in the warm months that could mean that its lost potency quite a bit by the time you take it.

That's one of the main reasons why I switched from Fem-Dophilus to RepHresh Pro-B even though it's generally more expensive. RepHresh Pro-B is freeze dried. I don't really trust refrigerated probiotics anymore. RepHresh Pro-B has been on sale for around $20 at my local Walgreens lately, but, I don't expect that to last very long.
princessmombi
QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Sep 8 2012, 02:35 PM) *
That's one of the main reasons why I switched from Fem-Dophilus to RepHresh Pro-B even though it's generally more expensive. RepHresh Pro-B is freeze dried. I don't really trust refrigerated probiotics anymore. RepHresh Pro-B has been on sale for around $20 at my local Walgreens lately, but, I don't expect that to last very long.

hi swt!
LOVE the Pro B!!!!! wub.gif I happened to see it at Walmart so I picked it up, it was 30 damn dollars tho that kind of blew me but its so good i won't complain ill just load up on coupons and stock up during the sales. I have only been using the pro b for 5 days but so far I like it even more than the fem d! I hadn't used fem d in over a month and my bv was back full force but the pro b started to work the first day and now I'm totally back to norm!!!! Normal discharge and no smell. I really agree with you about the refrigeration thing, just because I get it cold doesn't mean that it didn't sit on a warm truck from the distributor to the iHerb warehouse so it's just not worth it to go through all the trouble and expense of ordering it. Thanks for ur suggestion wink.gif
embarrassed10
just come across this forum and need some advice. I have suffered with bouts of BV on and off for years. My recent bout has been discovered by some work colleagues on a night out and now i am the butt of office jokes, as if im not even there. No one wants to talk to me anymore. Im absolutely devastated and mortified I just cant face going in there every day. Any advice?
swt simplicity
QUOTE(embarrassed10 @ Oct 12 2012, 12:01 AM) *
just come across this forum and need some advice. I have suffered with bouts of BV on and off for years. My recent bout has been discovered by some work colleagues on a night out and now i am the butt of office jokes, as if im not even there. No one wants to talk to me anymore. Im absolutely devastated and mortified I just cant face going in there every day. Any advice?

From my personal experience, as long as your colleagues can smell the odor coming from you, they will continue to alienate you. That is what people will naturally do as they probably find the odor repulsive. Try not to take their comments personally since they don't know what your going through. I'm sure they would be a lot more sympathetic and understanding if they knew that your dealing with a chronic health condition, but understandably, talking about something so intimate is very difficult, especially with people you may not be very close with.

Try to just relax (chamomile tea is very helpful for this) and think of your situation constructively. Think about your plan of action for your sudden onset of bacterial vaginosis. I don't know the kinds of things your doing on a daily basis to prevent a recurrence of bacterial vaginosis, but RepHresh Pro-B is tremendously helpful for taking everyday. It's clinically proven to work and it comes with a $2.00 coupon inside for your next purchase. There is another probiotic that came out called Provella which has a $6.00 coupon on their website, and an $8.00 coupon if you take a survey. It looks promising so I personally plan on trying it out at some point to see if it may work even better than RepHresh Pro-B since it has more strains of bacteria in it. It's available over the counter, so it's definitely not a sketchy product.

Removing refined grains, as well as all grains and all added sugars has drastically improved my vaginitis. I'm on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I guess in my case it has to do with my intestinal flora being imbalanced as well. Grain products and sugar is notorious for exacerbating imbalances in people with digestive disorders. It improved so much to the point where people who were so used to noticing the odor would discretely come close to me to see if they could detect it, which they couldn't. Many women have gone grain and sugar free and noticed drastic improvement, so I don't think this is exclusive to people with gastrointestinal disorders.

Not wearing pants and jeans helps too. I've noticed the thicker material of jeans tends to exacerbate things, probably from the lack of circulation to the vulva and vagina.

Stay strong; I'm sure things will improve for you since your bacterial vaginosis seems to clear up occasionally.

QUOTE(princessmombi @ Sep 30 2012, 09:24 PM)
hi swt!
LOVE the Pro B!!!!! I happened to see it at Walmart so I picked it up, it was 30 damn dollars tho that kind of blew me but its so good i won't complain ill just load up on coupons and stock up during the sales. I have only been using the pro b for 5 days but so far I like it even more than the fem d! I hadn't used fem d in over a month and my bv was back full force but the pro b started to work the first day and now I'm totally back to norm!!!! Normal discharge and no smell. I really agree with you about the refrigeration thing, just because I get it cold doesn't mean that it didn't sit on a warm truck from the distributor to the iHerb warehouse so it's just not worth it to go through all the trouble and expense of ordering it. Thanks for ur suggestion

Your welcome!
embarrassed10
QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Oct 13 2012, 08:41 AM) *
From my personal experience, as long as your colleagues can smell the odor coming from you, they will continue to alienate you. That is what people will naturally do as they probably find the odor repulsive. Try not to take their comments personally since they don't know what your going through. I'm sure they would be a lot more sympathetic and understanding if they knew that your dealing with a chronic health condition, but understandably, talking about something so intimate is very difficult, especially with people you may not be very close with.

Try to just relax (chamomile tea is very helpful for this) and think of your situation constructively. Think about your plan of action for your sudden onset of bacterial vaginosis. I don't know the kinds of things your doing on a daily basis to prevent a recurrence of bacterial vaginosis, but RepHresh Pro-B is tremendously helpful for taking everyday. It's clinically proven to work and it comes with a $2.00 coupon inside for your next purchase. There is another probiotic that came out called Provella which has a $6.00 coupon on their website, and an $8.00 coupon if you take a survey. It looks promising so I personally plan on trying it out at some point to see if it may work even better than RepHresh Pro-B since it has more strains of bacteria in it. It's available over the counter, so it's definitely not a sketchy product.

Removing refined grains, as well as all grains and all added sugars has drastically improved my vaginitis. I'm on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I guess in my case it has to do with my intestinal flora being imbalanced as well. Grain products and sugar is notorious for exacerbating imbalances in people with digestive disorders. It improved so much to the point where people who were so used to noticing the odor would discretely come close to me to see if they could detect it, which they couldn't. Many women have gone grain and sugar free and noticed drastic improvement, so I don't think this is exclusive to people with gastrointestinal disorders.

Not wearing pants and jeans helps too. I've noticed the thicker material of jeans tends to exacerbate things, probably from the lack of circulation to the vulva and vagina.

Stay strong; I'm sure things will improve for you since your bacterial vaginosis seems to clear up occasionally.
Your welcome!

embarrassed10
Hey thanks so much for your response. Its such an awful situation to be in. Nothing has ever been mentioned before, ive never even noticed a smell when im at work or on previous nights out with them, thats why im surprised its happened now. I'd also had quite a few drinks that night and cant pin point when it all came about or how which is driving me insane. Ive been in this situation before a few years back and it was also on anight out when ive not remembered whats happened. I did have my period at the time and usually find that doesnt help. I just cant take sitting there listening to all these little jokes that they think I dont notice, but I do. I cant relax for a moment and just sit there waiting for the next comment. I got on with everyone so well before and now they just laugh in my face. People can be so cruel. And your right if they actually looked it up they would realise itsnot because im dirty, its a very common infection. The girls in my work should know better I think! Im considering leaving my work and getting anew job, which i know is a bit extreme but then i think it will be really obvious as to whats going on. But I think for my mental health it a good idea. Im so paranoid that people are talking about me everywhere I go. Its really getting me down ive been so low this week and called in sick one day as i couldnt bear it. I just want to run away and hide from everyone. Lifes a bitch eh!

I gather you have experienced the same thing?

Thanks for the tips, will certainly look into it. Think ill get an appointment with my doctor and get a check up as its been a while. Ive had this on and off since i was 19 so thats been 10 years now, I was also diagnosed with PID a few years back and dont know if that's got anything to do with it ....
swt simplicity
QUOTE(embarrassed10 @ Oct 13 2012, 12:00 AM) *
Hey thanks so much for your response. Its such an awful situation to be in. Nothing has ever been mentioned before, ive never even noticed a smell when im at work or on previous nights out with them, thats why im surprised its happened now. I'd also had quite a few drinks that night and cant pin point when it all came about or how which is driving me insane. Ive been in this situation before a few years back and it was also on anight out when ive not remembered whats happened. I did have my period at the time and usually find that doesnt help. I just cant take sitting there listening to all these little jokes that they think I dont notice, but I do. I cant relax for a moment and just sit there waiting for the next comment. I got on with everyone so well before and now they just laugh in my face. People can be so cruel. And your right if they actually looked it up they would realise itsnot because im dirty, its a very common infection. The girls in my work should know better I think! Im considering leaving my work and getting anew job, which i know is a bit extreme but then i think it will be really obvious as to whats going on. But I think for my mental health it a good idea. Im so paranoid that people are talking about me everywhere I go. Its really getting me down ive been so low this week and called in sick one day as i couldnt bear it. I just want to run away and hide from everyone. Lifes a bitch eh!

I gather you have experienced the same thing?

Thanks for the tips, will certainly look into it. Think ill get an appointment with my doctor and get a check up as its been a while. Ive had this on and off since i was 19 so thats been 10 years now, I was also diagnosed with PID a few years back and dont know if that's got anything to do with it ....

Maybe the alcohol is what triggered the onset of BV. And alcohol can actually affect reproductive hormones in men and women, causing an imbalance of estrogen in women and testicular injuries in men. It's totally not impossible the alcohol contributed in some way. People often forget that alcohol is a very toxic substance that is very harmful to your liver and bodily organs, including your brain. Women tend to get drunk faster since they don't produce a lot of alcohol dehydrogenase, a substance that the body produces in the small intestine that breaks down alcohol. It's recommended that women not have more than one small drink for this reason. Men can get away with drinking two drinks since they produce more alcohol dehydrogenase. I think vodka has the least amount of sugar/carbohydrates, but it also has the highest alcohol content. It also helps to eat fatty foods when you drink since it helps the alcohol absorb more slowly into your body; so you won't get drunk as fast.

Changing jobs probably won't help since the BV may not have cleared up, so people in your next job will probably notice eventually. It would make more sense to change jobs after it clears up to give yourself a fresh start. I personally wouldn't change jobs though since that wouldn't solve anything. I can totally understand how you feel.

The stress of constantly thinking about what others think of you can affect your mental health and cause anxiety in the long term ... I would know. People would often comment about my odor. Things I experienced was loud coughing, sniffling, whispering, snarky comments such as "what's that smell?", "do you smell that", laughing, snickering etc. Someone once told me "you stink" to my face, in the middle of my class mates. Somebody else who was sitting within a few feet of me was talking about me with someone else and said "she reeks". Nobody wanted to sit next to me. And there was this awkward inside joke that people had going on when I was around, like they were in on something, that something being the odor.

Women are usually the worst about it as women like to judge other women to feel better about themselves. Women are biologically more sensitive to smells than men.

Dealing with that off and on a daily basis can emotionally wear you down. I know I had to constantly remind myself when I experienced those things that they wouldn't act like that if they were in my shoes and experiencing the emotional distress that I had to deal with on a daily basis. So I forgave them in my mind and didn't take it so personally.

I can completely understand your situation, but try to be logical about the decisions you make and how it will affect you in the long term.

It's definitely a good idea to schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN soon. The pelvic inflammatory disease sounds like something that could be contributing as inflammation can affect the balance of bacteria. Does your BV normally clear up with a round of antibiotics?
embarrassed10
Sorry for delayed response. Yes it usually does clear up with antibiotics which is great. Ive now completely swollen up and have terrible lower abdomen pains :-( I have a feeling i have another case of PID. TOday was the worst day of my life at work. I just wanted tht ground to open up and swallow me. Kept thinking ill just jump in front of a bus on my way home and then this will all be over!! Its the only thing that got me through the day.

I know changing jobs seems very extreme, I am only a temp at the moment and keeping thinking, i just wont turn up to work tomorrow, kind of disappear into thin air!

You know you could be on to something with alcohol triggering it, it is the only time it has ever been noticed come to think of it. Something to look into anyway.

So do you still suffer? Sorry to hear youve had a tough time of it too. You must be a better person than me to forgive them, i actually want to punch them all in the face. Why do bad things happen to good people.

I'm already dreading tomorrow at work, I just sat there all day on the verge of tears/panic attacks as soon as someone opened their mouth. I didnt eat all day cause i just felt sick to my stomach. They cracked out a fair few jokes at my expense. This is going to be the death of me.

Thanks so much for your advice etc, I really do appreciate it. I cant even talk to my friends about what is going on at work - i tried at the weekend but i couldnt bring myself to even say it - so its good to chat with someone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.