Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
little_idiot
QUOTE(neverending @ Oct 4 2006, 10:49 PM) *

little_idiot:Did this musty smell start when you started/stopped or while you were on birth control?(I think that came out right) smile.gif

I am on the pill but have been for 3 years and I haven't been diagnosed with BV in that time (before that was when I had it, and was on Depo). I noticed the musty smell after my guy had finished going down on me, and, I took a sniff of the towel I shoved under myself after we were done (we don't use condoms) and the wetness on the towel smelled yucky too, musty I guess. Usually afterwards when I clean up in the bathroom I can only smell his cum which just smells like cum, nothing bad.
But--after douching yesterday morning it seems like things are back to normal. I didn't use the boric acid yet (did a lot of reading on it and decided to wait and see if I really needed to do it) and as of right now, I don't think I'll need to. I showered at 7am yesterday and by 9pm I still couldn't smell anything, no discharge, nothing, so... crossing my fingers!

The thing is, I second-guess myself every time I think something isn't right down below. Every little twinge or discharge I think is a yeast infection or BV and then I'm hypervigilant about it, "Is it getting better, is it getting worse? Is that an itch??" I think I'm just paranoid that something is wrong with my crotch all the time, even though probably most of the time it's fine... unsure.gif
sassy
I'm freaking out...my phone is stupid and I just now received some messages that were left over the past couple of weeks. My gynecologist called me with 5 messages. I'm guessing this means only one thing--I had an abnormal pap smear. I'm freaking out. Do I have cancer? Did the boric acid cause this? Did I do this to myself? I don't know what to do.
neverending
Just Breath! INNNN........OUTTTTTTTTTT......INNNNNN........NOW OUTTTTTTTT! Calm down and don't get too worried. Everything will be fine.They probably just want to give you a prescription for the BV.
sassy
Fedup--I've tried antibiotics and the usual for my BV and my doctor even told me, "you can just ignore it, it won't hurt you to have BV all the time." So I started using boric acid for maintenance BUT...

...I have to call my doctor this morning because something was wrong with my pap smear. I don't know if it's related or not but it seems like it would be. I don't know if the constant infections messed up the test or if I irritated my vagina with the boric acid but I'm really nervous! I'm only 21 and I don't want to have to deal with this. sad.gif Doctors are useless on this problem, and I get depressed just thinking about it. If my test just shows irritation or something I guess I'll tell my doctor about the boric acid use. I know if I tell her, she'll give me a lecture about it. I've been looking at info all night though, and everyone online says it's safe to use so I don't see how it could have done anything to cause my pap smear to be messed up. I'm still worried, though, and I hope I didn't cause even more trouble for myself. I just want to be a normal young woman who can have sex with her fiancee and not worry about being self-conscious...I'm so upset.
neverending
Went to the doctor and I told him about wanting to try the Vag. Estrogen Cream.He told me my hormones might be out of whack but the estrogen cream is not good because of my age. So you know what he gave me?BIRTH CONTROL! Now I'm not a rocket scientist but If Birth control started my problems why would you give it to me again.I know it's supposed to help level hormones off but this is unreal.What am I supposed to do?Take the birth control and have my problems stop, only to have it come back when I stop again or should I just give up and live with it?This is crazy!
sassy
I just wanted to let you guys know that I have to get a biopsy done on Tuesday on my cervix now. I really think I've fucked myself up with the boric acid. I think you guys need to be really careful with it.
little_idiot
Sassy, did you tell the doc you were using boric acid? Are you relatively certain that's what's causing the problem you're having? I haven't tried it yet... The idea of putting that up my coochie but being careful not to get it on my hands does seem scary, but so many people have nothing but good to say about it and nothing I've read so far has said it's dangerous... Not sure what to think. unsure.gif
Good luck with the biopsy. I had one once and it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be.
neverending
Sassy: Sorry to hear that! Ask them to numb it before the procedure if you can.
sassy
My doctor said it wouldn't hurt...did she lie?

No, I don't know 100% that the boric acid made things weird with my cervix, I just know that I've never had any problems with it before and it seems kind of logical to connect the two. Either way, I just think everyone should watch how much they use. I'm definately not using the stuff again. I'd rather smell than die of cancer.
sidecar
If you just started using the boric acid, I don't think it's related. Boric acid also has the toxicity of table salt. It's considered a Group E carcinogen by the EPA, which means the EPA found that it hasn't caused cancer, based on animal studies. Further, it's sometimes used to stop the growth of prostate cancer.

You can learn more from this University of Oregon PDF .

Sassy, I'm sorry that you have to have a biopsy and that your pap was abormal. Hopefully it'll turn out to be nothing.
neverending
sassy:I had a biopsy done twice.It's not that bad if the doctor knows what he or she is doing.When I had my first biopsy all I felt was a little pinch and cramping afterwards.The second time I had a new doctor and I thought he was trying to kill me.So it all depends on the technique I guess! I hope everything goes well.
jewelscando
Sassy, I'm sorry to hear about that. Just so you know, both my mom and I had abnormal paps, along with just about every female I know. It's not unusual, so don't get upset until you need to. I don't believe it has anything to do with the boric, the B.V. I think most women have an abnormal pap atleast once in their lifetime. Mine was when I was about your age, and I had already had 2 children. And I DID NOT HAVE B.V.

Anyways, mine is back with a vengeance. I have the white milky crap coming out of me. But I haven't used Boric for a couple of weeks. No more fiance for me. Caught his ass cheating. So, we are through. And I'm not in any hurry to share the fish with anybody else anytime soon. Headed to the doctor on Wednesday for this stupid ass rash on my body. And then I think I'll go in to the Gyno and get some meds.
sassy
You guys could be right about the abnormal pap and boric acid not being related, I just don't want to take any chances, you know? Thanks for the nice words. I appreciate it. I hope it goes smoothly and nothing is seriously wrong!
sassy
Jewels...I work at a hospital (doing a public relations internship) and I get bored and look through the medical encyclopedia online. Anyway, a symptom of boric acid overdose includes rashes and blisters. I have had a rash on both of my legs for the past couple of weeks and they are just now starting to go away since I've been laying off the boric acid. What do you think...I know you've had a rash? I don't think it means we're overdosing...I just think maybe the boric acid could have caused our rashes.
neverending
RASHES! Uhm, I think it's time for me to lay off the boric acid for a while.
latinrican
Hey ladies... I had a mild sinus infection today and I went to my general doctor. After she prescribed my sinus meds, I asked her for her opinion on BV. I told her I've been diagnosed with it for over a year and a half and that the meds the gyno prescribed me only worked for couple of weeks and the BV would appear again. She told me that when any patients come to her and they are diagnosed with it...she doesnt prescribe them anything at all. She says that anytime you take meds...it will mess with your PH and basically goes through a cycle where it would just appear again. She stated to just bear with it and it would go away. She said to make sure my partner uses a condom at all times. Wellllllll... in my situation, I can't stand the smell of it so I know I can't just "bear wit it." I guess I'll just have to keep sticking to the Boric
Acid. (I didnt tell her about the BA either)
jewelscando
Well, I wished you would have said something sooner. I've had this rash since August, and I've mentioned it alot on here and nobody responded. It's evident, that's what mine is from after reading more of it. I haven't used the Boric now for over 2 weeks, but my rash is so bad, it's not even funny. I'm sure I'm not overdosing on it, my body is just having an alergic reaction to it. I go to the doctor on Wed. so I guess I'll have to tell them about the Boric and the can let me know if that is what's wrong with me. Here's what I found on the boric...

Side Effects:
Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects. Your medicine may be causing these symptoms which may mean you are allergic to it.

Breathing problems or tightness in your throat or chest
Chest pain
Skin hives, rash, or itchy or swollen skin

Other Side Effects:
You may have the following side effects, but this medicine may also cause other side effects. Tell your doctor if you have side effects that you think are caused by this medicine.

Boric Acid can cause upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain (8,10,11)
Call your doctor if you feel weak, tired, dizzy, or are not thinking clearly. These symptoms can occur when Boric Acid is taken for a long time or if you are taking too much of it
jewelscando
Another thing. If I am having a rash from this, why did it take a month to show itself, and I've been off it for 2 weeks but its still getting worse. And it's in localized areas. My forehead, my arms from my elbow down to my wrist, and in between my boobs. I thought I was getting it on my legs, but there's nothing there. And nothing on my stomach or near the kitty. So, maybe I'm wrong about the rash.
sassy
Jewels...I would have mentioned it sooner but I actually just found out that info last week. I didn't even connect it until I developed a rash of my own on my legs. I don't know.
jewelscando
Sassy, what does your rash look like? Mine looks like bumps, red, welts, and they itch. And if I scratch they get worse, and open up, but nothing is in them. Sortof like a bug bite. And under the rash, my skin is really red.
sassy
Mine looks exactly like bug bites, too. That's what I thought it was until I developed them everywhere on my left leg and only a few on my right leg...weird, huh? I've been putting some cream on them that I got from my dermatologist about 6-months ago for some dry skin. It helps a little but as soon as the old ones start fading away, a new one appears. They are very raised, red bumps and some are peeling a bit.

Mine itch too. I'm planning on going to the doctor as soon as I get this biopsy business taken care of and get some free time in my schedule.
neverending
Well ladies, I started the birth control Sunday and you know what? THE SMELL AND DISCHARGE IS GONE(I KID YOU NOT).Will I have to be on birth control the rest of my life to keep these symptoms away? I knew this shit was hormone related. sad.gif It's just sad I had to go through this for 4 1/2 years to figure it out.
sassy
Neverending: That's so weird. Consider yourself lucky, though. I had BV both before I started birth control and now that I'm taking it. I wish it was that easy for me!
fedup
QUOTE(neverending @ Oct 10 2006, 09:46 AM) *

Well ladies, I started the birth control Sunday and you know what? THE SMELL AND DISCHARGE IS GONE(I KID YOU NOT).Will I have to be on birth control the rest of my life to keep these symptoms away? I knew this shit was hormone related. sad.gif It's just sad I had to go through this for 4 1/2 years to figure it out.

I'm on birth control and still have it! Maybe If I stop taking it, it might make it go away!!???? It is so hard dealing with this crap for 12 years. I feel like it's never going to be over. I ordered the boric acid suppositories and will start those tonight. Hopefully, that will make it stop. I DO NOT want to pass this mess along to my future husband when the time comes for us to stop using the condoms. This is so depressing.

Also, I was wondering does sugar and caffeine make it worse? I'm not eating any sugar or drinking any coffee for a while to experiment a little. I bought some decaf, so we'll see what happens.
klee
Haven't been here for a bit but wanted to say to Sassy that abnormal paps are...kinda normal? I've had them, had colposcopys (biopsies) and many of my friends have too. None of them use boric acid though and I didn't either until recently.

I'm 31 and never had an abnormal until I was 23 so don't worry that you've never had one before...I mean, you started getting paps what, 3 years ago?? It's something to be aware of and as long as you continue getting regular paps then your gyno can make sure your cells don't become cancerous. You probably should discuss HPV with your gyno though.
sassy
I've been tested for all STD's and have no signs of HPV so I'm pretty sure that isn't the reason for the pap abnormality. That said, I got my biopsy today and she only had to take one sample because it was such a small area of abnormality so hopefully things are cool now.
Eralc Alegna
QUOTE(fedup @ Oct 10 2006, 03:01 PM) *

I DO NOT want to pass this mess along to my future husband when the time comes for us to stop using the condoms. This is so depressing.

Also, I was wondering does sugar and caffeine make it worse? I'm not eating any sugar or drinking any coffee for a while to experiment a little. I bought some decaf, so we'll see what happens.

Diet is linked on a certain level. I've read lots of stuff saying to abstain from sugar, alcohol, yeast etc. I've been planning/trying to start a raw food diet for a while now, I'm sure my poor dietary habits are at least partially to blame. Plus I'm still convinced that I just have some sort of bacteria overgrowth due to my breakouts. The raw food diet is also a detox diet so I'm hoping to just flush as much shit out as I can (literally!).

Don't worry about passing it to your husband. I've had boyfriends treated on the off chance we might be passing the infection, but they could only MAYBE carry it. Men don't get infected. It never helped me having my partner treated anyway.

I had given up on doctors recently but now I kinda want to go back to have my hormones checked out. I was against using hormonal birth control for a few reasons but if that could help me i might be willing to put some weight on again. Neverending, be sure to let us know if the pill keeps the infection away or not
neverending
Eralc Alegna:
I was against using hormonal birth control for a few reasons but if that could help me i might be willing to put some weight on again.
*I did gain 1 pound since being on birth control so I'm going to get TRIMSPA X32 today to see if that will help keep weight off.

Neverending, be sure to let us know if the pill keeps the infection away or not.
*I will keep everyone posted.So far so good!
Eralc Alegna
No more fiance for me. Caught his ass cheating. So, we are through.
[/quote]

I should have said this sooner, but for what it's worth I'm sorry. It must be rough but if we can all withstand "the fish" as you called it then a good for nothing fiance hopefully wont be too bad. Anyway my sympathies. I may be on the verge of becoming single again for the first time in a year. Stay strong and it'll all be over soon.

And to everyone else - you can add me to the list of abnormal pap have-ers. I've actually had a few but the docs chock it up to complications from the bv...
pepper
i've had an abnormal pap. it's usually nothing, just what is says "abnormal" which could mean anything but they like to check it out to be safe.
really, it could just be that they didn't get a good enough sample, something else got on the swab, etc etc. nothing to panic about AT ALL. don't fret.
pympmama1
Hey you guys I have been having problems with white splotches on my arms since I started the boric acid. They don't itch. I have also been having a problems with my throat. I have only been on the boric acid for about a 8weeks. One suppository a night. Can we be slowly posioning ourselves. I had to go to the doctor about my throat and he gave me antibotics. He said it was nothing but I did not tell him about the boric acid. Can someone tell their doctor about the boric acid and see what they say.....It did not occur to me that my throat tightness could be correlated to the BA. huh.gif
pepper
what the fuck is with you girls and the not telling your doc about the boric acid? how the HELL can they advise you if you don't give them the whole picture?!? doctors are supposed to be impartial health practitioners and while i realise that they are only human they are actually there to help you out. give them a chance to do that by telling them what you've been up to, for heaven's sake. why even go if you aren't going to tell them everything? it's useless. like going for therapy and only talking about stuff that doesn't actually bug you.

sorry for the rant but REALLY! none of us are doctors but We get the whole story. fess to the one person who might actually be able to help.
sassy
pepper--I understand where you're coming from but I think a lot of girls, inluding myself, do not want to get lectured on using some non-antibiotic to help an infection.

Pympmama--I don't know if those symptoms are related to boric acid. I don't remember reading anything about throat problems or white splotches. I know me and Jewels have rashes, but they itch so I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe they will both go away with the antibiotic.

Thanks to everybody about the abnormal pap reassurance. I find out today or tomorrow how everything went. I know this is off the BV topic a bit, but how long did you guys have bleeding after a cervical biopsy (those that had one)? It's been two days and I'm still bleeding and I wondered if that was okay. It's not really heavy but it is enough to be annoying.
fedup
QUOTE(Eralc Alegna @ Oct 11 2006, 12:59 PM) *

Diet is linked on a certain level. I've read lots of stuff saying to abstain from sugar, alcohol, yeast etc. I've been planning/trying to start a raw food diet for a while now, I'm sure my poor dietary habits are at least partially to blame. Plus I'm still convinced that I just have some sort of bacteria overgrowth due to my breakouts. The raw food diet is also a detox diet so I'm hoping to just flush as much shit out as I can (literally!).

Don't worry about passing it to your husband. I've had boyfriends treated on the off chance we might be passing the infection, but they could only MAYBE carry it. Men don't get infected. It never helped me having my partner treated anyway.

I had given up on doctors recently but now I kinda want to go back to have my hormones checked out. I was against using hormonal birth control for a few reasons but if that could help me i might be willing to put some weight on again. Neverending, be sure to let us know if the pill keeps the infection away or not

Thanks for the encouraging words. Maybe I should have my birth control changed. I'm on mircette (the pill) right now... maybe I should switch to a different one. I ordered yeast arrest boric acid suppositories. Started on it last night, so we will see what happens. I hope this is the answer to my problems.

I also ordered these feminine hygiene products called "her care" or something like that. It's like a shampoo, cleanser and moisturizer for your vagina. They call it the alternative to douching. It's helping out alot with the awful smell.

Thanks ladies. We all have to help and support each other to get through this. Thank God men cant catch this, or I would have alot of explaining to do once we stop using the condoms.
jewelscando
Well, went to the doctor yesterday, and he said I was having an alergic reaction. I didn't tell him about the Boric, because he was a dick. I've made an appointment with my reg. doctor, who is very cool, and I will tell him about the Boric. I have massive tightening in my throat, like I'm being strangled. If I take Benedryl, it goes away, but comes back as soon as the benedryl wears off.

Neverending: I understand where you're coming from, and I agree with Sassy. I don't want to be lectured. I've been off the boric for over 3 weeks. Therefore, I'm not absolutely positive that that is my problem. I would feel more comfortable talking to my reg. doctor, not a skin specialist about problems with my Vagina.
neverending
jewelscando: HUH?
alwaysonmymind
Please girls stop the boric acid or talk to a medical professional it seems like it causing allergic reactions for all you. I use condoms and don't get BV. But the moment I have unprotected sex like clockwork two days later I get BV. Have to go on antibiotics...then of course yeast for like a month! I do have HPV-cervical dyplesia which causes an abnormal pap. I believe the HPV-Virus is related to my BV-because your immune system down there weakens....This really does suck, and I do relate to you girls. I cry about everyday because I want to me normal.........I hope someone finds a cure for this fucking BV..........................I can't stand it!
jewelscando
Sorry Neverending, I meant Pepper.
quietmadness
I've been using the boric acid capsules for a while now. I only use them like twice a week though.

They've been working well, and I've not had any ill side effects.

Maybe it's because I'm not using it so often?

Who knows--y'all's problems may not be from the boric--may be from something else?

I hope y'all find out and feel better!
tabby
I'm not a frequent poster, I mainly read. But now I'm back for some support.

All summer long I have had bouts of vaginal burning and burning when I pee. It lasts around a week and goes away. June, I felt a UTI coming on, during one of these bouts and was lucky enough to have some antibiotics to take. July, August, September, same thing. A week of hell with burning. This month comes and it starts up again, the day AFTER sex. But this time it's worse, and progresses into a 102 degree fever by end of the week. I was so sick I couldn't walk. I went to the ER and they did a pee test, blood work up, and pelvic exam.

Lab work was fine. Pee test showed a UTI, and the pelvic exam (which was HORRIBLY painful) showed I had BV. I asked the doctor if BV can cause bouts of burning each month, or burning when peeing, and she said it can. The one thing that worried me was, upon viewing my cervix they saw a red spot. Immediately I panic thinking cancer. They tell me to go and have this checked out by the gyno. I'm waiting to go for the appointment on that. I have read where inflammation can occur on the cervix due to infection. I'm praying thats all it is.

They give me Keflex for the UTI and Flagyl for the BV. *sigh* and by weeks end I will have a yeast infection from hell, to be sure. I'm doing probiotics in the hopes it will stave it off. Everyone here knows that vicious cycle.

Here's the thing I don't *get* about my BV. I have NO smell with this. Just the incredible constant burning.

And now, I'm scared sh$tless about what this "red spot" is on my cervix.

I just needed to vent. Thanks! If anyone has anything to add or some info please know it is greatly appreciated!
latinrican
Hey Ladies....

Just like quietmadness! I've been using BA for about 2 months and at first I used it about every other day. Now Im using it about 1 a week and I have no rashes or any side effects either....fyi.
pianogirl

Hello all,

I have been using boric acid everyday for a little over 2 weeks. I plan in slowing down my dosage to 2x per week. I dont have any side effects, I purcahsed a bottle of boric acid from CVS and asked the pharmacist if this was ok to use as a vaginall suppository (they had 2 versions of boric acid thta why) she said "yes". I purcahsed a bottle of boric acid and then went to a health food store and purchased size 00 vegetarian capsules and all as been well I expected a slight burning but no affects at all. I was also diagnosed with cervical dyplasia / HPV and my doctor says the warts are on my cervix and they are very small, nothong to worry about. I believe in some way my bv is linked to HPV because I never had this issue before I met my BF and I got on Seasonale and started getting BV.

I wish everyone ots of luck, doctors dont seem concerned about this because its not them with the fishy smell.

Thanks\\PG
Eralc Alegna
Tabby- the burning thing seems odd to me at least. If they say it's BV than I guess it must be but thats a symptom I've never had or remember reading about.

And my sympathies to all of you with the yeast problems after BV treatment. I guess I'm on the lucky side of this if there is one. I've had about two yeast infections ever and neither was related. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be...

How long after using boric did everyone see results? I've been using a 00 morning and night for about 2 weeks and the discharge and smell are about the same. I'm thinking I should go back to the doc as much as I hate them all because this time nothing seems to work at all. the hydrogen peroxide and vit C before gave me 1 day of no symptoms out of like 2 months of use. Last spring my doctor told me I had an overgrowth of type b strep in addition to the bv and had amoxicillin suppositories made up but they didn't really do much. Maybe I've got something other than BV this time? or something else along with it? I dunno, I hate doctors! If/when I goI'll tell them about boric and everything else I've used. I also wanna get the HPV vaccine they've got out now. I urge you all to do the same
neverending
I feel sluggish! Is it the Birth control thats making me feel like this? I also bought trimspa x32. Can I take this with birth control?
D double U
Hey Ladies,

I know this is really random but I was talkin to a friend who was having frequent problems with BV and yeast infections and she told me she cut up a potato and inserted it into her vagina for about an hour. After she took it out, if course it had yucky discharge on it but she hasn't had a problem since
Eralc Alegna
WTF?????

First of all why the hell would that work. Second of all where did she get the idea. Third how much potato did she use and how was it cut?

I can't believe it but I'm actually entertaining the idea of trying this. I'm fucking desperate...

That is pretty damn random. You should find out more
neverending
Eralc Alegna:LOL! You'll do better with an onion. At least it's acidic!:)
jewelscando
Hey everyone. Made a doctors appt on Monday at 8:45. Don't know if I'll make it that long, this strangling feeling is about to kill me. My rash is 10X's worse. And now I have massive discharge, clumpy. The smell is still there, and I've been off Boric for over 3 weeks. I'm pretty positive I'm having a serious reaction to the boric. I think it's like everything, what works for one, doesn't always work for another. And unfortunately, even the boric works, I'm alergice to it. I'm going to take the boric with me to the doctor. I went online and found out that the strangling feeling may be related to my heart. I'm now officially scared.
D double U
Well why the hell would anything work? Why would Boric Acid work? Obviously there's something in it that kills bacteria. Potatos have also been known to cure fevers. She got the idea from her mother. She sliced it thin, not too thin and inserted for an hour.

Jewels,

We're here for support. Hope all goes well on Monday

and If you think you'll do better with an onion, go right ahead
neverending
D double U: I'm sorry I meant no harm! It's just I've never heard of that before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.