Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109
herekittykitty
sad.gif Hello neverending....thanks...I know I know..granny panties (sigh)..So I just did the hydrogen peroxide wash and I felt quite a bit of burning sensation. I guess that's a sign that I do indeed have a vaginal infection and that the peroxide is working? I will continue the wash once a day for a week as well as taking 2 - adophilus pills daily as well as 2 - 500 mg. of Vitamin C.

I really hope this helps...I will keep you all posted!
pianogirl
QUOTE(herekittykitty @ Dec 27 2006, 12:56 AM) *

sad.gif Hello neverending....thanks...I know I know..granny panties (sigh)..So I just did the hydrogen peroxide wash and I felt quite a bit of burning sensation. I guess that's a sign that I do indeed have a vaginal infection and that the peroxide is working? I will continue the wash once a day for a week as well as taking 2 - adophilus pills daily as well as 2 - 500 mg. of Vitamin C.

I really hope this helps...I will keep you all posted!

Hey HKK,

Also try taking the folic acid. Some on here take it once or twice a day.

Good luck

PG
Eralc Alegna
Does/has anyone else here used an IUD? Copper to be specific? I LOOOVVVEE mine but am thinking of having it removed once i can get insurance again. I had problems with BV prior to getting it but only since it was inserted did the BV become close to constant. The only problem is that it's the only form of birth control I'm actually comfortable using. I/we hate condoms, not to mention that they're not trust-worthy, and the hormonal route just seems wrong to me in addition to the fact that it could be the cause of this whole damn fiasco!
I'm to the point though that I'd rather have regular sex using condoms than no sex at all because I'm too damn disgusted with myself.
I've been searching online and while the non-hormonal options out there SUCK (besides IUDs) I'm thinking of using a femcap and condoms from now on. The condoms would help if semen is part of the problem, but the femcap requires spermicide, which is known to cause/aggravate bv.
Any input? advice? experience with sponges, diaphrams or the femcap? I'm so frustrated that no matter what I do I'm F---ed in some regard except for the way I'm supposed to be!
pianogirl

Hi Ladies,

I went to my doctir for a pap smear and I told her about the boric acid and she was impressed. SHe said she was going to tell her patients about it. As for me I am still on the boric and am taking the folic acid and the flax seed oil.

Happy New Year!

Thanks,

PG
pianogirl
QUOTE(Eralc Alegna @ Dec 28 2006, 01:19 PM) *

Does/has anyone else here used an IUD? Copper to be specific? I LOOOVVVEE mine but am thinking of having it removed once i can get insurance again. I had problems with BV prior to getting it but only since it was inserted did the BV become close to constant. The only problem is that it's the only form of birth control I'm actually comfortable using. I/we hate condoms, not to mention that they're not trust-worthy, and the hormonal route just seems wrong to me in addition to the fact that it could be the cause of this whole damn fiasco!
I'm to the point though that I'd rather have regular sex using condoms than no sex at all because I'm too damn disgusted with myself.
I've been searching online and while the non-hormonal options out there SUCK (besides IUDs) I'm thinking of using a femcap and condoms from now on. The condoms would help if semen is part of the problem, but the femcap requires spermicide, which is known to cause/aggravate bv.
Any input? advice? experience with sponges, diaphrams or the femcap? I'm so frustrated that no matter what I do I'm F---ed in some regard except for the way I'm supposed to be!

I've never had an IUD..
herekittykitty
Hello all....so I've done the Hydrogen Peroxide wash consecutively for 3 days and so far so good! biggrin.gif

There is absoultely no smell and the discharge is normal...

I'm also taking 2 - Adophilus pills as well as 2 - 500mg tablets of Vitamin C daily. I will continue the wash for another 4 straight days and continue to take the pills and vitamins until I finish the bottle. I haven't had sex yet...but as a preventive measure I'm going to do the wash right after each time I have sex. At least until I'm confident the BV is gone.

I'm also considering taking folic acid and flax seed oil as recommended by others...but I'm going to stick with what I'm doing now and see how that goes.

Everyone's body reacts differently to different kinds of treatments...so hopefully this works for me!

I'll update you all in a few days or 1 week from the start of my treatment.

Good luck, ladies and have a SAFE and FABULOUS NEW YEARS! biggrin.gif
jewelscando
Herekittykitty, how are you doing the wash?? I tried it once, but couldn't keep it in there.

Glad to hear the boric is working for you guys. I wish I could take it. It sucks I'm alergic to it. I want to take it, but I'm scared of the rash. It's back on my arms. sad.gif Oh well, I'm still using Folic and B vitamins but, the smell is still there. It's not working. I'm tempted to just get some Antibiotics.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I HOPE THIS NEW YEAR BRINGS ON A CURE FOR US ALL!!
herekittykitty
QUOTE(jewelscando @ Dec 30 2006, 12:56 PM) *

Herekittykitty, how are you doing the wash?? I tried it once, but couldn't keep it in there.

Glad to hear the boric is working for you guys. I wish I could take it. It sucks I'm alergic to it. I want to take it, but I'm scared of the rash. It's back on my arms. sad.gif Oh well, I'm still using Folic and B vitamins but, the smell is still there. It's not working. I'm tempted to just get some Antibiotics.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I HOPE THIS NEW YEAR BRINGS ON A CURE FOR US ALL!!

Hi there Jewel....so I simply purchased a "spoon dropper." It's like a mini baster that is used to extract medicine from a bottle and onto a spoon.

Anyhow, I do the wash after I take a shower or sometimes with a thick towel on the floor. I lay down and kind of prop my legs up so that my pelvis is at an angle. I then use the dropper to extract the HP and gently insert the full dropper into my vagina. I then squeeze the dropper gently and I can feel the liquid flow out and also trickle out of my vagina. I then pull the dropper out slowly and squeeze my legs together immediately remaining in that propped up position. I hold the HP like this in me for about 30 sec and then drain the liquid. I repeat this about 5 times holding the HP in for about 3 minutes on the last wash.

If properly held in your vagina, the HP should feel warm to hot (since it's been warmed up in your vagina) when you let it drain and after you've held it in for at least 30 - 60 secs. The first time I did this, I felt a bit of burning...but I was encouraged as it indicates that the HP is reacting to the bacteria in your vaginal cavity. I immediately saw results as soon as I completed my first wash.

Try my method....and see if it works for you! If you're having issues with keeping the liquid in you should also try dipping a tampon in the HP and then inserting it in your vagina for up to 3-4 hours.

Good luck Jewel and Happy New Years!
neverending
I just wanted to say I did a colonic friday and the experience was not bad at all. I felt energized and well.........GOOD! I think some of you should try it.It might help!I got a discount friday so it only cost me $50.00 dollars. Find a place where you live and try it.You will not believe some of the things that will come out of you!
Eralc Alegna
I've considered doing it and would like to try, but I've read quite a bit of debate over which method is best and safest. A book I have says to only use "gravity method" where they hang a bag above you and let it flow down. The other type uses a machine to pump the water through. Which did you get?
They say that you're supposed to get them regularly or it all just bulids back up again so cost is what stops me. $ 50 isn't bad at all though, maybe I'll look into it
neverending
I did the one with the machine.I've never heard of the one with the bag before. I think the one with the machine was pretty good and I did not feel as if it were dangerous at all.
shendy
Hello all, I just came across this forum and I am thrilled to find other people dealing with BV (though I must admit it is upsetting to see that BV can last for years and years -I'm at 11 months and ready to kill something). I started off the same way most you seemed to - I contracted whooping cough in january ('06) and took intense antibiotics and steroid inhalers for a while which caused my first yeast infection. Since then I have been constantly fighting the yeast and bacterial infections, receiving incorrect diagnoses from the numerous gynocologists I have been through, and trying everything under the sun. Garlic tampons, vinegar douches, boric acid suppositories, acidophilus suppositories. While I don't seem to have the odor problem that you all complain about, I get really irritated and red and itchy. I recently did antibiotics for a sinus infection and boric acid to prevent a yeast infection and my doctor gave me a clean bill of health (despite the fact I was having burning and pain during sex), but of course the next week I was having another outbreak and this one was worse than ever. Has anyone had to frustration with testing - that sometimes you feel symptoms but nothing shows up on the tests? Has anyone found a place to buy home PH testing strips to monitor things? I just want to finish by thanking everyone for posting on this forum, I really feel better knowing I am not alone in this.
sassy
Hi shendy. I've been to the doctor and had the ph tests come back normal even though I knew I either had BV or it was on the verge of returning. So it's hard to say how accurate those are. I think we each tend to know our own bodies better than the tests, especially since most of us have been dealing with this crap for awhile. My doctor thinks that I'm being too sensitive about my vaginal smell sometimes, but I have reason to be!
neverending
Welcome Shendy!
pianogirl
QUOTE(sassy @ Jan 2 2007, 01:00 AM) *

Hi shendy. I've been to the doctor and had the ph tests come back normal even though I knew I either had BV or it was on the verge of returning. So it's hard to say how accurate those are. I think we each tend to know our own bodies better than the tests, especially since most of us have been dealing with this crap for awhile. My doctor thinks that I'm being too sensitive about my vaginal smell sometimes, but I have reason to be!

Hi Sassy,

My doctor is the same way. They always think we are paraniod but we know our bodies very well. As for me I havent used the boric since Thursday evening and I dont have any smell (yet). I also havent had sex since thursday so lets see what happens. I am taking the folic acid everyday and flax oil.

Thanks
shendy
Well thank you all for the hellos (lovin' the tori amos pianogirl). What does the folic acid and flax do? And has anyone noticed that sometimes you actually feel better (less pain and itching) after you have sex?
Aggravated
Shendy:
Just a thought, but don't sit in a bath before you go to the doctor. The last time I went for a Pap Smear I (stupidly) took a bath beforehand. Nothing showed up on the test. Knowing that couldn't be right, I went back to the doctor shortly after and had her do the in office test (without a bath) and the BV did show up then.
pianogirl
QUOTE(shendy @ Jan 2 2007, 03:08 PM) *

Well thank you all for the hellos (lovin' the tori amos pianogirl). What does the folic acid and flax do? And has anyone noticed that sometimes you actually feel better (less pain and itching) after you have sex?

Thanks Shendy I love her music.

We came to the conclusion of the folic acid after one of the ladies suggested it....also if you were on bc pills it tends to deplete your folic acid which can lead to cervical dyplasia which is what I have along with BV. Here are some links on this:

http://www.womenshealthchannel.com/cervica...sia/index.shtml

http://www.tidesoflife.com/cervical_dysplasia.htm

Also Shendy I didnt start to get BV till I was on BC pills after I went to the doctor i was diagnosed with cervical dyplasia/ HPV..

The flax seed oil is b/c I wasted money and saw a holistic doctor and she recommeneded fish oil to help boost immunity. I have been a vegetarian for many years so flax oil is the alternate method.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/health-s...ax-seed-oil.htm

I think we all have pretty much done the acidophilous vaginally and orally and have had limited success.

This problem is super frustrating and embarassing but for the most part we all have manged to keep it under control.

Good luck and welcome ..
alwaysonmymind
This is so frusturating for all of us. I just want to think that one day I can be normal, have a normal relationship, get married, have kids-live a normal happy life. Almost five years ago I made one mistake by sleeping with somebody I thought I trusted and all of sudden I got BV. I know he was sleeping around. I didn't know what to do it smelled so bad. I would change my underwear at work and douche. I finally went to the doctor and she was like "oh its just BV" Take the antibiotics and it will go away. I thought I was home free. "Just an infection". So, everytime I slept with this partner the BV and then a yeast infection came back. It is hell to live like this. I wish I could go back and time and make different choices. I've learned to manage my infections by having protected sex and watching my sugar drinking lots of water. But, as soon as I have unprotected sex it comes back. Two years ago, I was also diagnosed with Cervical Dyplesia caused by HPV. I thought my life was over. I know it was caused by the same partner because it takes time to develop and my body just changed after him.

I tell myself everyday to be happy and to be thankful for what I have. Hopefully, someday someone will love me for who I am and not what I smell like:) It is really hard because now that I finished college all of my friends are getting married, and having babies. I hope that we all find a cure~cause the doctors don't give a "shit". They just don't know anything much about down there! Just had to vent:)
Eralc Alegna
QUOTE(shendy @ Jan 1 2007, 10:14 PM) *

Has anyone had to frustration with testing - that sometimes you feel symptoms but nothing shows up on the tests?

Welcome shendy,

I went back to the doctor about 2 months ago after all my home remedies failed me, and although there was tons of discharge and odor I was told there was nothing. I did however use boric about a day before the appointment which could have thrown the test off (i didn't know i would get in so soon).
I also get red, itchy and irritated. I have cracks between my labia and around my perinium/anus. I think this is probably due to the fact that I've been forced to wear pads for a year straight now. I've mentioned this before but i think we may be alone with this partcular little horror.
tweetykc
[quote name='Eralc Alegna' post='125084' date='Dec 28 2006, 01:19 PM']

Hello Everyone! I am new to the post, but I've been reading this message board for a while. I have been suffering with recurring BV since last May. I was completely heathly with no vaginal issues until I got a sinus infection and went on antibiotics last April. With the antibiotics came a yeast infection and the rest is history. I wanted to respond to Eralc Alegna's post because I also have a copper IUD. I've read that an IUD can assist in causing BV infections, so I'm starting to wonder if that's the problem. I'm just so frustrated because I love having the IUD and I'd hate to have it removed only to find that I'm am still suffering from this crap. My boyfriend and I have been treated several times and as soon as I get my period or we have unprotetected sex it comes back. I've read in some of the posts about different odors and mine has definitely changed over the course of this. I've treated it with Flagyl and Metro-gel, which have all been called in by my doctor. I finally made a gyno appt. for this Friday to try to get to the root of this problem. Unfortunately, my doctor has made comments to me before implying that this is all in my head and that nothing is wrong. I swear if he doesn't take me seriously I am going to scream!

I just want to say thanks to all of you that are on here. I have enjoyed reading all the information you've given as well as just knowing that I'm am not alone with this and that I am not crazy.
jwo1880
Hi, Happy New Year's!

So, I read a couple of posts that suggest that your partner cannot give you BV. How true is that? Another thing is everytime i go to my gyno, she always tells me that i dont have BV but I can smell it. Can it be something else? I just got a pap and everything came back good so I don't even know what to think. I'm lost.

You ladies have 50 solutions and I don't know where to start. I ordered the Jamu Stick to see if that will wk so I will keep you updated on that.

My body was fine w/ the whole odor thing unitl 4-5 months into my relationship and now it's haunting us. My bf and I have been together for almost a year and he told me once that he basically couldn't get it up because i smelled. I cried and cried and felt so embarrassed. What do I do? I feel so hopeless and this thing is consuming me. i know you ladies feel the same so why isn't there any cure. My doctor also thinks I'm crazy and tells me that my smell might be my "normal" smell. Yea right, I know something is wrong down south but have no solution for it. I'm going crazy!

I don't even know what to think anymore. sad.gif
deprime
jwo1880, I completely get where you're coming from. Every time I go to the gyno, my pap smear always comes back negative for BV, but I KNOW it's there.... I smell constantly!

My boyfriend thinks I'm nuts, but everytime I'm around anyone, they're always covering their noses or coughing because I smell that bad. What has happened to us?

I've researched everything, and I've come up with two really far-fetched alternative causes:

1. I've had pierced ears since I was 16 -- they are continuously infected; my body is trying to reject earrings all the time. My chronic BV started when I was 17. Perhaps the infection from my ears contributed to a delicate flora?

2. A recto-vaginal fistula. It's gross... and usually only happens to women who've given birth, but I carried a 30 pound drum for two seasons in high school marching band. Perhaps this heavy drum caused a fistula?

Does anyone concoct theories like these when every rational explanation has been disproven?

My regimen as of late has been 800mcg of folic acid/day, 2 standard acidophilus supplements, and one glass of water infused with 1 tbsp of liquid chlorophyll/day. Has any of this really worked? Not yet.

But -- I am super happy that it works for some of you. BV is so complex that it needs a variety of treatment options. I wish that our MDs understood this!

pianogirl
QUOTE(deprime @ Jan 3 2007, 10:32 AM) *

jwo1880, I completely get where you're coming from. Every time I go to the gyno, my pap smear always comes back negative for BV, but I KNOW it's there.... I smell constantly!

My boyfriend thinks I'm nuts, but everytime I'm around anyone, they're always covering their noses or coughing because I smell that bad. What has happened to us?

I've researched everything, and I've come up with two really far-fetched alternative causes:

1. I've had pierced ears since I was 16 -- they are continuously infected; my body is trying to reject earrings all the time. My chronic BV started when I was 17. Perhaps the infection from my ears contributed to a delicate flora?

2. A recto-vaginal fistula. It's gross... and usually only happens to women who've given birth, but I carried a 30 pound drum for two seasons in high school marching band. Perhaps this heavy drum caused a fistula?

Does anyone concoct theories like these when every rational explanation has been disproven?

My regimen as of late has been 800mcg of folic acid/day, 2 standard acidophilus supplements, and one glass of water infused with 1 tbsp of liquid chlorophyll/day. Has any of this really worked? Not yet.

But -- I am super happy that it works for some of you. BV is so complex that it needs a variety of treatment options. I wish that our MDs understood this!

Hi LAdies

I used the boric acid last night and this morning (havent had sex ina week) because I smelled myself. I really feel the frustration,pain and embarassment. This is ruining our sex and normal lives. I have been with the same BF and sometimes I wonder if we break up who will be as accepting of this problem as he is. We dont have oral sex b/c I am almost always on the boric acid and it doesnt seem too sanitary.

I foud a specialist in NY for this problem and when I called his office his assistant told me that the cost was $1400 to see him and that he doesnt take insurance (not that I have). So I Xed that out because $1,400 is a rip offf and why if he is a doctor why would he not accept insurance?

Smells fishy (no pun intended).

I will keep searching for alternate methods. I know I did see a holistic doctor and she did nothing for me but take well over $300 from me.

Anyway take care.

PG
quietmadness
For those of you considering either the JAMU stick or the ENZARA----don't.

They're both for shit and are nothing but a waste of money with some decent keyword marketing tactics used to get your almighty dollar.

The Enzara didn't do anything for me but waste my time and bottled water while swallowing it. The JAMU stick gave me a WIERD discharge and dried me out like the Sahara.

Seriously though---they're both worthless as heck.

Best thing I've found yet was the boric acid capsules, and even that has to be used like 3 times weekly FOREVER, or it'll all just come raging back.

This sucks ass.
pianogirl
QUOTE(quietmadness @ Jan 3 2007, 01:56 PM) *

For those of you considering either the JAMU stick or the ENZARA----don't.

They're both for shit and are nothing but a waste of money with some decent keyword marketing tactics used to get your almighty dollar.

The Enzara didn't do anything for me but waste my time and bottled water while swallowing it. The JAMU stick gave me a WIERD discharge and dried me out like the Sahara.

Seriously though---they're both worthless as heck.

Best thing I've found yet was the boric acid capsules, and even that has to be used like 3 times weekly FOREVER, or it'll all just come raging back.

This sucks ass.

I also tried Enzara and it was worthless and a waste of precious $$. Boric acid is the best alternative the smell is there but its not as strong so thats good.

Has anyone gone to see a bacterial vaginosis specialist? I have been reading that some reset the vaginal PH I am considering doing this. These are actual doctors not like the other crap I found charging $1,400 dollars. Anyway I will call them and see what happens. It was very hard finding specialist in this area. sad.gif

Also some even preform surgery huh? I wonder hw that works...I will keep you ladies posted.

smile.gif

Piano Girl

LOL Quiet Madness love your screen name..this is indeed a quiet madness sad.gif
autumnbreeze
Aww...I check back in after the holidays and everyone has sad stories sad.gif
Supportive Hugs to jw1880...I can just hear the frustration in your post.

Pianogirl: Did you say $1400?? WTH? You are right, that sounds fishy! But I'm interested in hearing more about the BV Specialist. How did you learn about them? Are they gynecologists? If you find out more please tell all.

Well, I'm still taking the folic acid..haven't noticed any changes. I still have some probiotics left so I may start taking those again. For now it looks like I may just have to do a weekly or bi-weekly HP douche for the rest of my life unsure.gif and I'm skeptical about doing any kind of douche on a long term basis.

Ladies, keep your heads up! Things will get better eventually.

herekittykitty
Hi All! It's now my 7th consecutive day of douching with Hydrogen Peroxide and I'm happy to say that the odor is completely gone and the discharge is normal. I had sex with my BF this weekend and immediately douched with the HP right after. I noticed a lot of stinging while douching after sex.

I think I will continue with the wash for another straight week and keep taking Vitamin C and Acidophilus pills.

JWO as a quick temporary fix..why don't you at least try the HP wash?

So this seems to be the fix for me...at least for now.

I will keep you ladies updated on my progress.

Good luck to you all and welcome to the other newbies!

I love love love this forum and thank you for your support, ladies!
shendy
Eralc - thank you for letting me know I'm not alone in those symptoms, so frustrating! I also noticed that there are some tears and I really hope they go away when everything clears up.

Quick update, went back to my doctor, she found BV and prescribed metradonozale (making this the 2nd time I'm trying this). I'm really tempted to use boric acid to prevent a yeast infection but she told me not to so I'm going to try to control myself. So I'm going to try this for 7 days and keep taking immunity boosters, acidophilus pills, and lots of cranberry juice. Here's hoping.....
jwo1880
Hi,

Thanks ladies for all your support!

I was wondering if Boric acid is prescribed? if not, where do I get it?
My GYNO gave me a gel to use once a day (at night) called AVC (sulfanilamide cream) for a month. Has anyone ever tried this before? If so, what were your results?

Piano Girl,

Def let us know what happens with your specialist. Sounds interesting.

herekittykitty,

What's in the HP wash and how do I do it?

neverending
tweetykc:WELCOME!

deprime:1. I've had pierced ears since I was 16 -- they are continuously infected; my body is trying to reject earrings all the time. My chronic BV started when I was 17. Perhaps the infection from my ears contributed to a delicate flora?
You know this might be the problem too! Have you tried going without your earrings? Try it and see! I hope everything works out for you!
shendy
[quote name='jwo1880' date='Jan 3 2007, 10:30 PM' post='126152']

My GYNO gave me a gel to use once a day (at night) called AVC (sulfanilamide cream) for a month. Has anyone ever tried this before? If so, what were your results?

Hi jwo1880 - I had to find a Mom and Pop pharmacy / formulary (tracked one down in my hometown and had them FedEx it to me) and they did require a prescription. You can also get it off the internet but I didn't trust that as much.
jewelscando
You can buy Boric at Walmart, by the Peroxide. If not, ask a pharmacist. You then have to buy the Gel Caps to fill them at a Health Food store.

Well everyone, this weekend I'm going to start the HP treatement. See if that helps. It sucks so bad that I'm alergic to the Boric, because it's the only thing that has worked. I'm almost willing to take the chance!! I ordered a prescription online of Metro, only because I can't use the Boric and I'm telling you, stop taking the boric.....and the smell comes back 10 times worse.

I read an article yesterday online about B.V. and they were discussing how the kitty produces a certain amount of HP which is what it needs to stay healthy. So, I'm hoping I will have some success with it.

Anyways, welcome all you newbies!! It's great to have new ideas on board!!
cajungirl
Unscented detergent seems to work well for me. As long as I'm wearing underwear that has been washed in unscented detergent, I don't have a problem. The couple of times I wore underwear that I did not wash in unscented detergent, the smell came back.

I don't know if this would be the case for everyone, but it's worth a try.

I'm always for trying more natural remedies before using anything unnatural. You just never know what can screw up your body and imo, your body is too precious to take a chance.

Hope this helps...
herekittykitty
QUOTE(jwo1880 @ Jan 3 2007, 07:30 PM) *

Hi,

Thanks ladies for all your support!

Piano Girl,

Def let us know what happens with your specialist. Sounds interesting.
herekittykitty,

What's in the HP wash and how do I do it?

JWO: I posted my personal HP douching method a few days ago..I've cut and pasted it here for ya:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there Jewel....so I simply purchased a "spoon dropper." It's like a mini baster that is used to extract medicine from a bottle and onto a spoon. Also bought a huge bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide (diluted so only 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, you can buy this at any pharmacy or grocery store)

Anyhow, I do the wash after I take a shower or sometimes with a thick towel on the floor. I lay down and kind of prop my legs up so that my pelvis is at an angle. I then use the dropper to extract the HP and gently insert the full dropper into my vagina as far as it can go. I then squeeze the dropper gently and I can feel the liquid flow out and also trickle out of my vagina. I then pull the dropper out slowly and squeeze my legs together immediately remaining in that propped up position. I hold the HP like this in me for about 30 sec and then drain the liquid. I repeat this about 5 times holding the HP in for about 3 minutes on the last wash. Make sure to also drench the outside of your vagina as well a few times.

If properly held in your vagina, the HP should feel warm to hot (since it's been warmed up in your vagina) when you let it drain and after you've held it in for at least 30 - 60 secs. The first time I did this, I felt a bit of burning...but I was encouraged as it indicates that the HP is reacting to the bacteria in your vaginal cavity. Let the HP air dry and try not to blot or rub the area with a towel or anything. I immediately saw results as soon as I completed my first series of washes.

Try my method....and see if it works for you! If you're having issues with keeping the liquid in you should also try dipping a tampon in the HP and then inserting it in your vagina for up to 3-4 hours.
------------------------------------------------------

ALSO... I found this link for pre-measured and prefilled boric acid suppositories (which is also filled with other "beneficial" herbs): http://www.evitalhealth.com/index.cfm/Fuse...ductid/225.html

Good luck and keep your heads up!!!
kiwigirl
Hi ladies

I just discovered I had BV back in August of this year. I was prescribed Fasogyn and it cleared it up...until the next time I had sex and then it came right back again. Unbelievable, and so embarassing. After doing a search online I came across this forum and was shocked to find out that it could possibly stay with me for years.

I went to a gaeno who seemed very blase and put me on the same antibiotics. Cleared it up again, but I'm single and am now too scared to even meet anyone in case this cursed thing comes back.

It's great that this forum is there to support us all.

x
sassy
Who was it that used the hormones on here? Neverending? Is your BV still gone? I'm beginning to think mine could be hormone related. I feel like my sex drive is very low lately. Of course, having BV doesn't help anyones sex drive but I'm wondering if my testosterone or estrogen levels are low. Has anyone ever had their hormone levels tested? I know a few of you asked your doctors but they refused to test.
Eralc Alegna
I really want to get mine checked out once i can get insurance again. I'm convinced this is diet or hormone related. not only has the BV become constant in the last year, but I'm breaking out more often and worse than I ever have my whole life. I dropped $150 on a zeno the other day cause i have a zit on my chin thats trying to eat my whole face. seriously. never had one this big. And my skin used to be damn near flawless! That's gotta point to a hormone inballance, right? Why are docs so reluctant to approach it from this angle??
tanten
Hi everyone, I finally decided to post after reading all your threads. Whew! That took forever.

I am too a chronic bv sufferer. I have had it since high school, and I am now almost 30. I have tried most everything, and nothing has worked. I can say the smell has improved over the years, but the discharge is still watery and annoying for me. I have seen many doctors, and they don't know what to do with me when I tell them their medicines don't work. They think I am paranoid, and the smell is probably my normal smell. Seriously, that's the worse. I certainly didn't come into this world smelling like that, so it ain't normal by any means.

What worries me the most is that BV at first wasn't thought to be harmful to women, except for the annoying smell. But, I have been doing research online, and have read that BV is now believed to cause some complications in women-- namely miscarriages, PID, pre-term labor and others.

I am currently recovering from an ectopic pregnancy, of which the doctors don't know why it happened. It was very heartbreaking for me because my husband and I really want to have children. It is known that most ectopic pregnancies are the result of tubal scarring/damage from PID. I have never been officially diagnosed with PID or had symptoms of it that I know of. But, I do know that researchers believe that there could be a link to PID and BV. This has caused me great concern, because now I am thinking the BV could have contributed to my ectopic pregnancy. I keep thinking that I have had this BV for so long that maybe it has spread into my cervix and tubes. There really is no way to know for sure (except for exploratory surgery), but I am in dire need of some explanation for this and would love to know if I can ever be cured of this BV. I think I am going to now try some of the natural remedies so many of you have tried. I guess it can't hurt at this point since doctors can't do anything for me.

Anyone on the board have kids while having BV? Or heard of the PID issue? I am freaking out.
jewelscando
According to my doctor, there really is not "Test" per say to determine if your hormone levels are to high/low. That's what she told me. And she basically told me, that I wouldn't go into menopause until the age my mother did. Well, my mother didn't have a hysterectomy either. I still have my ovaries, which produce the hormones, so, I'm not sure if I will go into menopause earlier or around the same time as my mother.

What makes no sense to me is, why the hell can't we find something to make it go away. The antibiotics work, but then it returns. Which tells me, it's something I'm doing on a day to day basis, that's causing the funk to return. #1. I smoke #2. I drink Coffee every monring without fail. #3. I wear jeans #4. I don't eat vegtables. #5. I don't eat fruit very often. #6. I don't have periods. #7. I do not have a cervix or uterus. #8. I rarely have sex, and when I do, it's been with the same partner for the past 5 yrs. #9. I only eat 1 meal a day. #10. I'm not over weight, I only weigh 125 lbs, and am 5'4 inches tall. #11. I have 4 children and never had B.V. with any of my pregnancies.

So, this is my life, in a nut shell. What from this list is causing this? Smoking is the only thing I can think of. However, I know most of you are not smokers.

I'M SO FRUSTRATED!!! sad.gif
chachaheels
Okay, I have to say something here because there is information on this thread which is just, simply, wrong:

There are ALL KINDS OF tests to gauge hormone levels in the body. You can take a salivary hormone test as well as blood tests which will help a qualified doctor understand what is taking place in your body hormonally.

You need to speak to a doctor whose specialty is hormones, particularly one who is familiar with the impact of bioidentical as well as artificial hormones used on women (through things like the birth control pill, IUDs, hormone replacement therapies, sports medicine, and things like treatments for sex organ pathology and glandular dysfunction). That means, you need to see an endocrinologist--and for your own sake, be choosy and find one who has a lot of experience working with women who experience illnesses and symptoms such as the ones you're all calling BV. You do not ask a bricklayer to put in your plumbing: just as you do not ask a gynecologist to tell you about the endocrine system. Oh, I know it sounds like they should know about hormones since they prescribe so many of them, but for reasons I don't want to get into here, just know that they do not know about them further than that.

And, I also posted here that there are all kinds of links between all kinds of internal pathology in the sex organs that commonly gets labelled as BV or even yeast infections by doctors who refuse to do full work ups on their patients. The links between PID and BV, cervical health and BV, they are many and well established but you must see (again!) someone who is skilled and experienced and is willing to go out of the way to do a differential diagnosis, and not just keep prescribing the same anti-biotic over and over again. If your doctor keeps prescribing this, and the symptoms return, or if you do not have a cervix (!!why the fuck not?!!!) then your problem is not BV. It is something else and you should be trying to find out what it is with a qualified doctor who is willing to leave no stone unturned to find out why you are still ill despite treatment.

And, for the record, in response to someone's question a few weeks ago: yes, I am a doctor, though not a conventional medical doctor (however I did receive the same training as MDs do in medical sciences, just no training in surgery; and my training in drugs is in a different pharmacoepia--but since then I do educate myself often on conventional medical drugs because all my patients come to see me after their conventional treatments have failed. I need to know exactly what conventional medical drugs do in the body so that I will know what MY medicines are doing once I give them). I do have experience in my own practice treating women for a variety of women's health concerns; and I do have my own practice in Homeopathic medicine and in nutritional consultation. I've done this privately for 6 years; before than I did this under supervision for two years. Thanks for asking, even though the question was asked rudely.

In addition, I also posted vast amounts of information on this board on how to choose a qualified homeopath as well as other qualified holistic practitioners, so if you want to go into the archives and find out how to get good quality alternative treatment, I've spent a great deal of effort trying to explain how to do it. I know for a fact that at least one person on this forum didn't bother to even read that information, yet now considers all holistic treatments ineffective because they decided not to bother to do the necessary thing to find good treatment, and is now somehow holding me responsible. Tut, tut. In any case, don't rule out alternatives: they work, they cost less in the very short run, and the improvement in overall health is worth the committment required in making the changes which are necessary. As in all medical treatment methods--educate yourself about what is involved, choose your practitioner/doctor carefully, and if you're not getting results, keep looking.

Yup, the post is long, and yeah, it's not what you want to hear, but there is a ton of misinformation on this thread and if people want to seek help I think they should know it is out there and there are means by which they can get answers and restore your health.
sassy
Chacha: Just for the record, many girls on here are open-minded about ALL forms of treatment. However, many holistic doctors are insanely expensive and some girls have tried them without getting any real help for their BV. I am 21...I can hardly pay for college, let alone specialist doctors. If I had money, don't you think I would go and get every test imaginable?? You offer information that can be helpful but the tone you put it in is demeaning and discouraging.
neverending
sassy: It worked! Sometimes I have a little bitty TINY amount after my period but thats nothing.Sex is great!No smell! I'm glad I don't have to smell that crap.I used estroil suppositiores(the plant kind).I'm happy I found it because I use to have hot flashes, Dry vagina, and watery discharge.My skin is even clear again so I know i'm on the right track. I wish the doc would prescribe estrogen(the real deal) for me so I don't even have to see that tiny amout after my period but they are a bunch of jerks.

Eralc Alegna:My skin is getting back to normal now that I used the suppositories.My face was horrible after I stopped the birth control.I had blemishes and huge bumps the size of a dime.It seems like we all have the same symptoms but it's not BV.I don't know what to say!

tanten: "but the discharge is still watery and annoying for me"

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING BECAUSE THIS HAS HELPED ME A LOT.I did'nt think I could have this but when I read the symptoms I thought "well maybe the birth control lowered my estrogen levels causing these problems."I'm not saying you have this! All i'm saying is maybe this could be the case for you also.Most Everybody on this forum said they started to develop this problem while or after birth control so that tells me that this is hormone related because if it were something else it would have been gone after we used the meds the doctor prescribed.

Atrophic vaginitis (also known as vaginal atrophy) is an inflammation of the vagina due to thinning and shrinking tissues and decreased lubrication of the vaginal walls. It is caused by a lack of estrogen. The most common cause is the decrease in estrogen after the menopause although it can be caused by other conditions. Symptoms include vaginal soreness and itching, as well as painful intercourse, and bleeding after sexual intercourse.

Symptoms and signs
Genital: dryness, itching, burning, soreness, pressure, thick yellow white discharge, malodorous discharge, watery discharge, infection, painful sexual intercourse, bleeding after intercourse. In addition, sores or cracks may occur.
Urinary: painful urination, blood in the urine, frequency, incontinence, and infection.

Treatment
Topical estrogen creams or tablets may be used vaginally. Oral or transdermal estrogen may be used. See Boxed Warning about estrogen theraphy below.

Sexual activity is also helpful. A water-soluble vaginal lubricant may be useful.

chachaheels
Really. My tone is discouraging? So what? If you really did care about your health, you'd take the information you got no matter what tone it's given in. I'd rather have correct information from someone who has a clue than incorrect information any day.

I "get" that people don't have a lot of money, but I also know alternative doctors are not all the same, not all forms of alternative treatments cost the same, and almost every single alternative medical doc I've ever met is ready and willing to make accomodations for those who don't have as much money. In fact, the only ones I've met not willing to do this have been conventional MDs who've decided to "cash in" on the effectiveness and attractiveness of alternatives, which is something they know makes them more "marketable". They are out there, but you don't have to choose to work with them.

As for costs, ALL medical treatments cost. If you can go to a doctor who just keeps prescribing you the same anti-biotic over and over again, and charges you each time you go and get no results yet get the same scrip, which also costs a lot of money, then you can pay for an alternative medical practitioner who is qualified and capable and probably save a boatload of money. In any case, you can either prioritize your health care over other expenses that are not as important and do something about it, take your choice of the treatments that are out there to help yourself, or you can keep making excuses and whine about how nothing cures you overnight. And blame others who tell you this, truthful as it is, at the same time. Your choice.

Shoot the messenger if you want, but the facts are the facts. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
jewelscando
Chachaheels: "What the Fuck?" What does that mean. First and for most, NOBODY FUCKING ASKED YOU. So, find another "Fucking" board to push your bullshit. NOT THAT IT'S ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS, I had a partial hysterectomy. THAT IS WHY THE FUCK I DON'T HAVE A CERVIX. After my last daughter I had my tubes tide and had 20 day periods for about 6 months. When I went to the doctor, they discovered that my Uterus was HUGE and I had developed Endometriosis. I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE THE HYSTERECTOMY. I NEVER said I wasn't for trying "Alternative" doctors, or whatever the hell it is you call them. And if you think for 1 FRICKING MINUTE that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US on here have NOT SPENT hours and hours of trying to get to a conclusion to this, you are wrong. THANK GOD OR WHO EVER YOU WORSHIP THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS. Don't JUMP DOWN MY ASS, because I relayed info that my doctor told me. IT DIDN'T MEAN I wasn't going to find someone else who could do the testing for me. I was just making a comment on what MY DOCTOR SAID. I never said it was right or wrong.

YOU'RE NOT NEEDED HERE CHACHA. Please find some other board to piss off, because I have enough shit going on with this bullshit. I don't have time for your shit as well.

Ok, girls, I bought a dropper type thing tonight and am going to start the HP.

Neverending, thank you for the information!! Was the estroil suppositiores prescribed or can you buy it over the counter??

Let me know!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Eralc Alegna
The estroil sounds promising and I'd really like to give it a shot too, so please let us know how you get ahold of it. However I'm not comfortable jumping into hormonal treatments until I have verified that it is indeed hormone related, or, specificaly a lack of estrogen. If hormones are what got us into this mess maybe we should think twice before messing around with them again. Even if it is in search of a cure...

And Vaginal Atrophy? I'm not saying that couldn't be the problem for some of us, but damn! I'm 23. That's a pretty fucking grim idea.

** I'm so glad this board dosen't sensor! I wouldn't feel nearly as relieved after posting if I couldn't toss in a few fuck-shit-damns somewhere
jewelscando
I'm sorry for the swearing ladies. She just pissed me off!!!!!!!
neverending
Eralc Alegna:

Here is something else I found:
UROGENITAL ATROPHY
The lower genital tract is exquisitely sensitive to estrogen. Proliferation and maturation of the vaginal epithelium depends on adequate estrogen stimulation. With reduction of estrogen production, genital blood flow decreases, leading to further decline in delivery of estrogen to those tissues. This reduction in microvascularity leads to vaginal dryness, mucosal pallor, decreased rugation, mucosal thinning, inflammation with discharge, and, ultimately, decreased vaginal caliber and depth. With progressive atrophy, the vaginal Pap smear–maturation index shows atrophic changes with a decrease in mucosal superficial cells and an increase in intermediate and basal cells. Many women experience dyspareunia, burning, and even vaginal bleeding in some cases (Figure 51.1).

These changes are readily reversed with the administration of local estrogen. The intravaginal use of estrogen cream, one half an applicator (1 to 2 g) as infrequently as two nights per week, allows topical estrogen therapy with minimal (if any) absorption, endometrial proliferation, or other systemic effects. The available prescription estrogen creams appear to be therapeutically equivalent. The estrogen ring may be used for 3 months per ring, and vaginal tablets are available for use twice a week. Estrogen cream is also an excellent lubricant for use during intercourse or for pessary insertion. (See also Disorders of Sexual Function.)

Birth control

They override your own hormonal production -- in effect, signaling your ovaries to take a breather and stop producing estrogen and progesterone -- and supplant it with the hormones in the pills themselves. In other words, you get just what is in the bcp. You’re not adding hormones on top of what you’re producing on your own, but literally replacing them.

This to me suggests that birth control either stops or lower the estrogen levels significantly. Thats why we have the problems with what the doctors CALL BV but it's not and they don't give a shit about helping us.THIS IS WHY SOME OF US HAVE SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS.I honestly believe that this can be some of you guys problem but I'm not sure about Jewels because I don't think she has ever taken birth control. I've done years of research and this is the most valid and I have no more problems (except with the little tiny amount after my period) with BV.

klee
Congrats Neverending!!

By the way, it's supposedly fairly easy to test your hormone levels to see if they're out of whack. Even dermotologists do it to see if that's a possible cause of skin issues. It would be a pretty good idea to make a visit to be sure your hormone levels are actually in need of balancing.

Especially with all the information about estrogen therapy causing breast cancer and worsening endometriosis. This was big in the news a few months ago and this article was in the NY Times a couple weeks back.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...751C1A9609C8B63

I think smoking is probably making things worse for us smokers. Acetic acid levels are always higher in people w/BV. Guess what's in cigarettes?? You got it! As well as hundreds of other chemicals. My gyno says it's just not good for the vag in other ways - making you less able to fight off HPV and stuff like that.

It's a new year - let's kick it!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.