Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Diva Cup versus The Keeper
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
EllaMinnowPea
Thanks, Farmgirl. Little ones. Not too irritating, just made me wonder about the rubber. I'm sure it's no big deal.
kittenb
I just ordered a Keeper yesterday. Can't wait to give it a try. smile.gif
j'ai un vagin
omg, diva is the BESTEST thing on the planet........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lapis
QUOTE(EllaMinnowPea @ Mar 8 2007, 12:15 AM) *
Sitting a bit usually helps. The tub idea was pretty smart, TurboJenn.

My Keeper's starting to get little raised bumps - I don't know what that's about. Had it about a year now. Is rinsing it with hot water irritating the rubber, do you suppose? Anyone else noticed this?

Mine did this, too. Little, light-colored bumps. It annoyed me, so I retired it and bought the diva cup and was much happier. Also, the diva people claim it has some antibacterial properties since silicon doesn't realy harbor bacteria.
annelise
ok, i've had my diva cup for maybe three years now, used it every cycle. i have to have it really high up in me or it doesn't seal, but i got used to it after a couple of months, and it's been fine. for years.

but as time has gone by, i've been having a harder time making it seal, and it's driving me crazy. i'm not just adapting to this thing, i've used it for a long while. but it seems like something's shifted subtly in my anatomy and it's different now. i have to try over and over and over to get it in sometimes.

i'm sure it's just something with getting older--i'm 32. has anyone else had this sort of experience?
turbojenn
Hi annelise!!! If I remember correctly, they have a different size for women over the age of 30 or women who've given birth....I guess the plumbing stretches out a bit over time. I've noticed a little more leaking the last few months, myself, and have been thinking about ordering the other size, and see if that helps.
annelise
hi turbojenn!

yeah, when i bought it i was 28 or 29, and talked to the customer service person because i was unsure of sizing, being close to 30 but childless. from her advice, i bought the larger size. the biggest prob is that it doesn't quite unfold now, so it's not that the rim isn't big enough...it might just be that i need to get used to the way it fits me now, and that's taking some time.
mouse
i just bought a diva cup and i really like it so far. i'm a little nervous about wearing it to work though--i work long days, usually 9 hours at least plus commute, and we have a multi-stall public bathroom so it wouldn't be possible for me to wash out the cup at work. i know that i'm not going to be able to go for 9+hours without emptying it, and i feel like just emptying and reinserting is going to be hella messy. does anyone have any tips? i'm thinking maybe just wet some paper towels and bring them into the stall with me?

thx!

ETA: annelise, i know next to nothing about this seeing as i've only owned mine for two days, but do you think it could be just the cup itself wearing down? when you say it doesn't unfold that makes me think that maybe it's not as elastic as it used to be, that it's been weakened from being folded for four years?

(in which case, that's kind of crappy, but i guess it's still better than buying tampons every month...)
annelise
i dunno, mouse, it seems to pop out just fine when it finds the right space for it...it just seems to be more difficult to find that space sometimes. the texture/elasticity of the silicone seems the same as when i bought it.

of course as soon as i posted about probs with it, i went a couple of days with no probs whatsoever with insertion.

when i first got my diva cup, i had the public bathroom worries too. but i got used to it. i'd wash my hands before going into the stall and take paper towels in to open and latch the stall with. after emptying the cup i'd just wipe it off with lots of toiletpaper and reinsert. extra paper towels are good for wiping off your hands before you get out of the stall too. all the hand washing was a hassle, but i still felt like the divacup was much better than pads/tampons.
zoya
Hi - I'm new to this thread, I just have a question... for about a year now, I've been using a product called "Instead" which is similar to a disposable version of the Diva Cup or Keeper (sort of, it fits over the cervix instead of further down in the vagina like the cups..)

I love it because you can safely wear it for 12 hours without any leaking or changing, and you can even have sex with it in (it's not a barrier, though - it will hold blood, but not safe for contraception, so you still need a condom)

A box of 14 is like $8, and I have a pretty light flow, so I seriously only need 4 of them each cycle - so each cycle only costs me about $2.

SO... my question is - I'm thinking of getting a Diva Cup or a Keeper, it just seems like over the long term it would be cheaper and also better for the environment. Has anyone used Instead as well as the Diva Cup or Keeper? Any comparisons?

Also, I know this is probably for another thread, but I just read about a pill they are developing that will stop women from having their periods at all. Does anyone else find this weird? Personally, I have no problem with being on my period and bleeding a couple days a month. I mean, that's what we're built to do. I don't think I would want to stop it. I mean, besides telling me if I'm pregnant or not, I always feel kinda cleansed in a way after my period. Maybe I'm weird...
treehugger
I have a Diva Cup, and going through peri-menopause, my periods are really irregular. I was caught off guard when I went to my mother's house for the week and Will. Not. use tampons anymore. So I picked up a box of Insteads.

I noticed right off the bat that Insteads are MUCH easier to insert and get positioned correctly. The diva cup is pickier about location and insertion.

The Insteads are easier to grab and remove in that you can just hook it with one finger, but messier upon removal. The cup collapsed on me (at least for me) and I ended up bloodying my fingers and even the floor a bit. With the diva cup you have to get two fingers in there and grab the little stem and pull it out. Which is hard for me cause I have short thumbs.

I had some leakage with the Insteads, but only during peeing...my undies stayed clean otherwise.

By the way, I have a pretty heavy flow...a 12 hour Instead only lasts me about 4 hours on a heavy day.

I have to admit, that other than the environmental factor, I prefer the Insteads just because they're so much easier to insert and remove.
annelise
wow, i was just about to say the opposite! several years ago, i was using a divacup most of the time, and then insteads when i wanted to have sex.

i HATED the instead--i went through quite a few of them, but it was really frustrating getting them inserted, and often painful. i worried about them during sex sometimes, though they were never any problem at all--never leaked, mess-free. getting them out was a bit messy sometimes, but blood is messy--it didn't bother me. it was insertion that was a pain--it was a massive ordeal every time.

in contrast, i adore my divacup, even though i'm having probs with it occasionally these days.

seems like it's probably an individual thing. my bf now isn't at all fazed by blood, and i much prefer messy sex over the hassle of dealing with insteads. some ppl love them though!
LoveMyPugs
I own a diva cup and I have tried the instead cups. I can't stand either. I think it's just me. I'm cup challenged. The diva cup never pops open for me properly and I leak something terrible. The instead cups felt huge in me and never slipped behind the pelvic bone like the instructions say they should. I can't even imagine using them during sex. I think one of the big problems for me is that I'm overweight and have short fingers. Trying to get in a comfortable position and get my short stubby sausage fingers high enough inside me is just a pain in the ass. I'm still using pads and tampons. I wish I could get my diva cup to work because the idea of it being reusable, better for the environment and my body is very important to me but I just can't get it to work. *sigh*
annelise
days i'm not using my cup, i just recently started using washable cotton pads, lovemypugs...after using them, i soak them in a tupperware under the sink, then put them in a lingerie bag in the wash so they won't get lost. they're great, and they come totally clean when i soak in hydrogen peroxide/cold water before throwing them in the wash.

http://www.tlc-pads.com/ those are the ones i have, which are great (and cheaper than most!). links to other possibilities here: http://www.villainess.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13
turbojenn
annelise, I think you're right, in that the DC is just a little picky about where it needs to be, and when you have trouble with it, it sucks, but when its in correctly, its brilliant.

Mouse, I guess I don't have particularly heavy periods maybe, but I only empty and wash my DC in the mornings, and I leave it in overnight. Its seriously the best thing to happen to my period.

As for Insteads...like tree said, I also found them very very messy to take out and empty, and after ruining managing to get some on my pants one time - I gave them up for cotton reuseable pads for awhile, before I went to the Diva Cup.
mouse
damn, turbo, i wish my periods were like that! i could get away with that the last two days, but the first day the damn thing was three-quarters full in like 6 hours.

that said--I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!!!!!! it's amazing! my cooze doesn't get all tampon-sucked-dry, it's super comfortable, i'm saving money and the environment! fuckin awesome ladies.
turbojenn
mouse said cooze! mouse said cooze! heee!

*that is all*
annelise
COOZE! it's a great word.

on my heavy-flow day, i can fill mine up in an hour. but i have crazy crazy hormonal probs, so i'm quite abby-normal.
mouse
dudes! uhhh i mean ladies.......my diva cup has been leaking a lot this cycle! it's the second one i've used it for and the first i had no trouble. what gives??? it's not overflowing and i can feel that it's fully "popped out", and i can't feel it so i know it's not in wrong.... sad.gif i love this thing, i don't want to have to wear pantyliners too....
annelise
maybe you'll have to mess with the angle and/or how far it's in? everybody's anatomy is so different, and for me it took quite a while to really get a knack for how it would sit best. i still have some trouble with it occasionally! but you really do get used to it--it's a bummer to have to wear pantiliners for a while, but so it goes sometimes.
mouse
thanks, i'll mess around with it next cycle. i think i might be wearing it too high.

on another topic, does anyone have anything special they do as far as cleaning in between cycles? i've noticed that those tiny little holes in the rim get a little grody and i can't seem to clean mine out. any tips on soaking it in anything? vinegar? peroxide? any no-nos?

thx
annelise
i use toothpicks for the holes--the silicone stretches rather than being damaged when you put a toothpick in, and that way you can keep them gunk-free.

peroxide seems like it might be too strong, but i have no idea really. i've used vinegar sometimes. as long as i'm cleaning it regularly and thoroughly with hot water, i'm not as worried about it as i used to be. i'd like to boil it every month, but i'm not necessarily so good about actually doing that.

sometimes i put it in water with a drop of tea tree oil because of TT oil's antimicrobial properties...
humanist77
annelise/mouse, I also use a safety pin to clean out the holes-but toothpicks sound like they'd be even more effective~
I find that boiling the DC in water for a few minutes is the best way to clean it between cycles.
prophecy_grrl
**Cross-post from IUD thread**
I have a box of the "Instead" cups that I use occasionally, mostly because you can have sex while they're in, and I just noticed that they have a warning not to use them if you have an IUD . . . I've been wanting to get a Diva Cup, but I wondered if they have the same warning (can't find any thing on their site) or if anyone here is has an IUD and knows about any possible risks?
mouse
i've never used instead cups but from what i've heard they sit very high in the vagina, up against the cervix. the diva cup sits really low. this is what the diva cup website has to say about iuds:

Can The DivaCupâ„¢ be worn with an IUD?

The DivaCupâ„¢ is worn low at the base of the vagina and is away from the cervix, it should not interfere with your IUD.

As recommended, always check your IUD cord after inserting and removing your DivaCupâ„¢ to make sure that it has not been dislodged. Many of our customers are IUD users as well and have not reported any problems.

CAUTION: Since there is a rare chance that it may dislodge your IUD please use The DivaCup at your own risk as we cannot assume any responsibility if your IUD is dislodged.

(fyi, though, you can't have sex while wearing the divacup)

unrelated, anyone know what the deal is with the divacup's warranty offer? i can't find any info about it on their site or in the pamphlet that came with mine. i don't want to return mine but it's good to know about just in case, and makes a better selling point for convincing friends to stop using tampons wink.gif
prophecy_grrl
thanks mouse! I guess I didn't examine the site thoroughly unsure.gif
kari
Hi busties! I just got a diva cup. I attempted to use it, but I could not get it inserted properly. I could still feel it pinching, which the pamphlet said is a sign that it is not inserted correctly. It felt like it was not high enough or something. I inserted it like the pamphlet said, pusing it in horizontally, but I thought at some point it has to go up, right? Is that wrong? help! I wanna be a diva cup lover too.
annelise
it's annoying, but you just have to play with it and see how it fits your anatomy. for most people it sits low, but for me it has to be up further, at a specific angle. once i got a feel for it, it was pretty straightforward to deal with. but it takes time to figure out the best angle/location to make a good seal.

for me (and this seems unusual), i have to push it in as far as it goes, reach up around it to make sure it's unfolded properly, change the angle if needed, then twist to make sure it's sealed. you need to find where it goes so that it will pop open and unfold inside you, which can be tricky at first.

with my last bf, i could have sex with the divacup in because i wear it so high. with my current love, i can't.
pepper
oh, that is so stupid. if a cup can dislodge an iud what about SEX?! geez, the cup's just in there, sitting there quietly doing it's little job, not thumping you repeatedly in the cervix. what gives?
LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(annelise @ Sep 4 2007, 10:03 PM) *
with my last bf, i could have sex with the divacup in because i wear it so high. with my current love, i can't.

having sex with the diva cup in doesn't makes sense to me. are you talking about the disposable instead cups? I don't get it? huh.gif unsure.gif blink.gif
annelise
i don't have an iud, though wearing the diva cup high might affect that. i was just mentioning that i was able to have sex with it, in the past. now i can't. i have to wear it very high so that it'll seal--which seems unusual with the diva cup. seems like everyone else wears it much lower!

i tried instead cups and hated them. never again.
LoveMyPugs
annelise - I'm confused. Are you saying that you have had intercourse while the diva cup is inside you? I didn't think that was possible. Am I not understanding what you are saying? I get confused very easily.
pepper
yes, how is that possible? either his winky must have been very wee OR he had no feelings in it OR you are indeed wearing it higher than i even thought possible huh.gif
kiss_the_fiddler
pepper, you're funny.

I had a little trouble feeling comfortable with my diva cup. I've found that it wasn't comfortable until I cut the little pull thing off completely. It was pinching me. I have no trouble removing it so I'm glad I cut off that little protrusion. Anyway, I think emptying it is gross and I don't like to put it in unless I've been able to rinse it out (hard to do in public restrooms) but overall, it's more comfortable than tampons for me and not yucky like pads.
pepper
funny, funny looking? ha ha.

i cut the stick thing off too, very uncomfortable. how about a bottle of water and some paper towels in your purse for rinsing purposes?

i have to find my diva cup, i'm having a period already (10 weeks after giving birth, too soon!). i've been in denial about it but i've soaked like 8 panty liners today and ruined two pairs of panties so i guess i'll just have to give in and search around for that thing.
erinjane
I'm another one who cut the stem off completely. I filed mine down too so it was totally flat. My friend uses one too and asked how I could get it out, but I can easily stick two fingers around it to grab it out.
pepper
son of a pup, i need the other size now. thanks a LOT second baby! *grumble grumble... fifty bucks*.
LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 5 2007, 06:02 PM) *
yes, how is that possible? either his winky must have been very wee OR he had no feelings in it OR you are indeed wearing it higher than i even thought possible huh.gif

I too don't understand. I didn't think the average vagina was long enough to have a diva cup and also a penis in it at the same time without one bumping the other. Pepper, perhaps we are both just confused huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif
Garlic
I use a mooncup and am usually extremely satisfied with it, but found it has, a couple of times, leaked and I think I know the reason why - nothing to do with sizing, my boyfriend claimed he found me shockingly tight the first time we slept together and the cup stays in place exactly as it is supposed to.

I used to also get the problem that tampons leaked for me while not absorbing fully (the tampon would be mostly white on removal and yet still I would have stained panties). The mooncup is a vast improvement on this. When a gynaecologist fitted me for a diaphragm recently, she said that my cervix was really unusually far back. This has got to be the cause. Someone else in this thread has had leakage problems and I think it's important they know that it's almost certainly to do with shape rather than size - you don't have a floppy vagina!

In response to this issue I'm probably going to get some of those Wemoon pads, just for 'backup'. They look nice anyway, the tartan one is cute.

Just one thing: How do people manage using reusable menstrual products around family members? I will be living with my younger sister for a while who is bound to throw her toys out of the pram if I put a menstrual towel in the laundry, although she would be fine with doing the same to her stained pants. dry.gif She's 17, so does anyone else have experience of telling someone the same age about the wonders of non-disposable 'sanitary' wear?
annelise
sorry--i shouldn't have gotten into a discussion of my ex-boyfriend's penis size. oops. but i think it was a combo of his penis size (or the angle maybe, i have no idea) and my wearing the divacup really really high up in my vagina. i could have sex with my divacup in just fine! i guess i have an unusual anatomy, and combined with my ex it worked out somehow.

i tried it once with my current bf and it was disastrous--i'd have a hard time imagining it too, if i hadn't experienced it myself!
LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(Garlic @ Sep 6 2007, 05:16 PM) *
Just one thing: How do people manage using reusable menstrual products around family members? I will be living with my younger sister for a while who is bound to throw her toys out of the pram if I put a menstrual towel in the laundry, although she would be fine with doing the same to her stained pants. dry.gif She's 17, so does anyone else have experience of telling someone the same age about the wonders of non-disposable 'sanitary' wear?

Mr. Pug doesn't care about my lunapads soaking in a container in the bathtub. I rinse them well first to get almost all of the blood out then I soak them in soapy water. I change the water every day so there is no smell or anything. There really isn't anything gross about it for him to see or even be upset about. After I'm done my period for the week everything gets rinsed again, i squeeze all the water out of them, then throw them in the washer and dryer with the towels. I love my lunapads. I'll never, never, never use anything else ever again. I told my mom, Mr. Pug's mom and his sister about them and his sister asked me to email her the website link. I don't think most people care to be honest. I tend to use the spare bathroom during my period just cause I like the privacy but I've had my lunapads in our bathroom and he's never said a word. I think everyone (including myself at first) thinks it's going to be this big bloody mess. I saw more blood all the years I used disposables then I've ever seen in the three months I've been using lunapads. They are great.
annelise
with reusable pads, i soak them under the sink in a tupperware--change the water once a day and soak them all in some hydrogen peroxide before putting them in the laundry (it's MAGIC for getting blood out). i put my reusable pads in a lingerie bag in the laundry--they're rinsed adn soaked and cleaner than dirty undies by that point--and there's never been a problem at all.
kittenb
I am so excited! I tried the Keeper a few two months ago and I just couldn't get the damn thing figured out. I found it so painful to insert that it was actually traumatic. After worrying that there was actually something wrong with me, I realized I just hated the feel of the gum rubber. So I exchanged it for a Keeper Moon Cup (like the Diva Sup, I guess.) Softer and smoother and tonight I managed to make it work! I am wearing it right now. Still have to get used to the feeling of it, but I this is already going better. On an unexpected note, I think using this is going to help me get past all of my gynocological phobias that crept back up on me after this ridiculous last year.
Go me! Go Moon Cup!

With the Moon Cup, they also sent me a sample Gladrag panty liner. I think I am going to buy some more. They really are so soft and pretty. And LoveMyPug's endorsements have really influenced me about them. Thanks!
LoveMyPugs
I have a divacup and I have just never been able to get the damn thing working correctly. When I leak with it, it's like I blew a gasget or something. It's a mess. Once I was helping Mr. Pug while he was coaching bowling and I felt an explosion so I went to the bathroom and I think I used almost all the toilet paper. Again, it was a mess. I've just never been able to get the thing working right and not leak.

I want more reusable menstrual pads just because I like them so much. I want a variety. I was out shopping the other day and I saw some really pretty flannel and I just really wanted to make some pads out of them. I keep finding patterns online to make your own but I don't even know how to turn a sewing machine on. I think I'm going to ask Mr. Pug's mom to show me how to use the sewing machine.

The only thing is that they have three styles. There are all in one pads, the envelope style, then the ones like Lunapads that have liners you layer on top. I've only used the Lunapads but I think I'd like to try the envelope style ones too. The all in one style makes me nervous cause you can't really see if the inside is clean if that makes sense.

Jeeze...wishing I could sew.
annelise
the ones i have are envelope style. they were the least expensive ones i could find on the internet, but i'm very happy with them. the woman who makes them also sells partly-made ones for ppl who can do simple sewing, which makes them even cheaper, but i can't sew at all.

http://www.tlc-pads.com/

those are the ones i have--the web site is really badly designed, but once you figure things out they're great. at first i got patterns that were too brightly colored for my tastes, but the woman who makes them called me personally, described some colors/designs to me, and sent me replacement envelopes that i liked! i've had them for a while now, and they're comfortable, they wash just fine, and seem like they'll last.
Garlic
QUOTE(LoveMyPugs @ Sep 6 2007, 10:06 PM) *
Mr. Pug doesn't care about my lunapads soaking in a container in the bathtub. I told my mom, Mr. Pug's mom and his sister about them and his sister asked me to email her the website link. I don't think most people care to be honest. I tend to use the spare bathroom during my period just cause I like the privacy but I've had my lunapads in our bathroom and he's never said a word. I think everyone (including myself at first) thinks it's going to be this big bloody mess. I saw more blood all the years I used disposables then I've ever seen in the three months I've been using lunapads. They are great.

Funny that, this is how people reacted to me announcing I was going to use those pads: in an accepting way. Boyfriend just said 'You dinnae have to worry about me disapproving, only really rubbish guys would have a problem with that: have some faith in me', mum thought it was a great idea and wants to get some herself - which is ace as I feel I have made a convert! My sister still does not know and just on the offchance that she eventually turns out to have a problem with it, pfft to her: she's meant to be doing a Sociology A level and for part of that she covers feminism and feminist ideas, so maybe she should start putting those ideas into practice.

Interestingly enough the council around my area are clearly going to start charging for trash disposal, which while it will encourage people to recycle which can only be good, is obviously going to be a neat way of them making money off families who are throwing away things like nappies and 'sanitary towels'. This will save my mum a lot of money in the long run.
Garlic
QUOTE(annelise @ Sep 8 2007, 03:03 PM) *
http://www.tlc-pads.com/

those are the ones i have--the web site is really badly designed, but once you figure things out they're great.

laugh.gif No kidding! I had to giggle at that site, may be the funniest thing I've seen all day. The colours, ick!!! It reminds me of a Bed and Breakfast I once stayed in where everything was pink and had frills sewn on it! However, the pads look great. Now I just need to make sure they export to this rainy island of mine, as I can't help noticing that's an American site there smile.gif Thanks!
kittenb
With the Keeper Moon Cup, could someone please explain to me how to do the final step where you twirl it in a complete circle to make it stick? Do you hold it at the top? Do you spin it from the bottom? Do I need to have my whole damn hand shoved up in there or something? Some advice please. Thanks.
kiss_the_fiddler
Kitten, no, you don't have to have your whole hand shoved up there. Simply twist it holding on at the base. Chances are, you'll be able to feel when it's correctly in place.

fiddler
kittenb
Thanks. I was being a little sarcastic but I was getting frustrated. happy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.