Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Diva Cup versus The Keeper
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
candycane_girl
I just have to say that I finally bought myself a Diva Cup last night and so far I love it! I had thought about it for a loooong time but hadn't gotten one. My period started on Sunday and finally I was like, "fuck tampons, I'm getting it!"

I have had to cut the tip a little bit because I could really feel it but it's just such a nice change from tampons.

humanist77
My beastly little cats chewed up my diva cup. I assumed it was Hermes who did it, but then...I wanted to take pictures of what was left for all to see, but as I sat down at my computer, I put the remaining cup on the coffee table-and in a flash, Calvin flew over the table, grabbing the cup in his teeth, and he was gone so quickly I couldn't even grab his tail. So...there's 2/3s of a diva cup somewhere in the apartment and I just can't wait until one of my roommates finds it and tries to figure out what the hell it is huh.gif

I've had that thing for 3 years now dry.gif
kittenb
Hahaha. I know that is a slightly expensive loss but that is kind of a funny story, too. So sorry humanist.

Well it has taken me a while but I think I have finally figured out the Keeper Moon Cup. I like it more than the regular Keeper and there is still some leakage but we are getting it. I actually called The Keeper Company and the woman on the phone pretty much told me, "Well, it doesn't work for everybody." Thanks. Thanks a lot.
humanist77
It IS a funny story, even if it is going to cost me money that I don't have (although one of my roommates works at Whole Foods and he can get a discount for me; I only have to convince him to suck it up and buy a menstrual product).
Though the worst part is that I can't yell at the beasties, because they would have no idea what they did wrong. Especially because the first attack happened while I was sleeping, and by morning they'd forgotten. Then Calvin got away so quickly, with my computer on my lap, I wasn't able to run after him. And by that point, the thing was un-salvageable and meaning was lost. It's just another of the many toys-that-aren't-actually-toys around the apartment.

Meanwhile I'm still bleeding a bit, and I don't have anything to catch it. I hate TP pads : (

kitten, it definitely took me several tries to get it right; you'll figure out the best position for it. I'm glad you like it!
humanist77
HA! I found it! I have figured out the culprit, because one of them couldn't have cared less about the cup when presented to him.

However, Calvin was more than fascinated. Observe:

I let him have his cup-

-and eat it too

Here's to you, Calvin!

candycane_girl
humanist, that's pretty funny, he looks completely fascinated. I guess I'm lucky that I don't have any animals that would be after my diva cup.
mouse
that's hilarious--and an adorable kitteh, too.

reminds me to keep my cup away from the houseplants... wink.gif
BustiRubi
woohoo I just bought my firt Diva Cup.

I'm enjoying the comfort...it wasn't comfortable at first but i think it was in too deep??? idk but is it wrong to pull it from the tip cuz i kinda had to do that.....but..i think i'm afraid of it being too deep..hmmm...
EllaMinnowPea
QUOTE(BustiRubi @ Jan 16 2008, 12:12 AM) *
it wasn't comfortable at first but i think it was in too deep???

I doubt it was in too deep - your body will sort it out, BustiRubi. It can't go too far in there. There's just not a whole lotta space left.

I've moved back to tampons lately and must admit I don't regret it. When you're not sexually active, the Keeper's a bitch to pull out, man.
candycane_girl
I've never really had much trouble pulling out my diva cup. I don't know, I guess I'm just lucky but I've heard so many complaints about that and yet I've never really experienced it.
mouse
i've never had trouble getting mine out either. my biggest issue with it (tmi alert!) is that it's hard to empty sometimes, the contents are too viscous....which leads to messiness. but i don't care, it's the best thing that's happened to my vag since sex. i can't even THINK about tampons anymore, they always made me really sore and dry. and my cramps have probably halved in intensity since i started using it.

i'm kind of confused as to how getting laid makes it easier to remove the keeper...?
LoveMyPugs
I have short fingers and a big belly so I have a hard time reaching up inside myself. I think that might be an issue for some. It was certainly the issue for me. I could never get the diva cup to work for me. Maybe I'll try again this month. I always seem to blow a gasket with that thing and end up having to rush home to change.
.eilleen.
So my first Diva Cup just came in (just in time for me to start tomorrow). I tried it out, and I couldn't feel it. Wow. Well, we'll see how it holds up during my first cycle with it. I've become tired of buying and using tampons (pads are out of the question), so I've decided to try DC. I would have went with the Keeper, but I do have a latex allergy.
elizabethan
I have been using my Diva Cup for two years now--I bought it and found this thread on just about the same day. The advice here--particularly about cutting off the stem--was fantastic. In the past year I have mastered the one hand technique for public bathrooms. Very proud of myself.

The sole remaining issue is how to clean out those little holes? I can't believe they do anything since my are always gunked up. (TMI) I finally found some miniature bottle brushes (that I think are intended for dentures) and they work.

How do other women deal with this?
mouse
i think i use the same thing, elizabethan! i use soft picks--they work great. a needle or toothpick will do too in a pinch.
humanist77
I just fill the cup with water, and place my palm flat over the top of the cup, forming the best seal I can and then with my other hand I squeeze the bottom of the cup so that it forces water out the holes.
kittenb
QUOTE(BustiRubi @ Jan 15 2008, 11:12 PM) *
I'm enjoying the comfort...it wasn't comfortable at first but i think it was in too deep??? idk but is it wrong to pull it from the tip cuz i kinda had to do that.....but..i think i'm afraid of it being too deep..hmmm...

I found that when I had it in deeper than needed it didn't work as well. So now when I push it in I just sort of feel it in the right place, almost like a physical pop or click. It then works its own way up to a good location.

As far as pulling it out, it is uncomfortable for me to just yank it out. I have to push it out w/my muscles, pull a little w/my fingers and then fold it to pop the seal. Then it comes out easy.
elizabethan
Good to know others are dealing with the DC hole issue--the palm idea is nifty I want to try that too.
BustiRubi
oo I wish I could quote a lot of what everyone is saying.

The DC is working perfectly fine with me now...the first day was a tad bit scary. But noting that I am more sexually active now it does feel a lot easier to take it out and put in hmm.

AND I have noticed the gunk in the little holes I'm so glad I read all your methods of clearing them out it was getting so tedious cleaning it everytime.

the DC has changed my life I feel so much more conscious, comfortable and confident no matter what those pad and tampon ads tell you about their products.

happy.gif
A lot of my friends kinda don't get it when I try to explain. I enjoy this board very much.
.eilleen.
So I forgot to update at the end of my cycle on Sunday. Let's just say I'm hooked. Goodbye tampons forever. I had no problems with it at all. I am 100% satisfied.

QUOTE(.eilleen. @ Feb 5 2008, 12:03 PM) *
So my first Diva Cup just came in (just in time for me to start tomorrow). I tried it out, and I couldn't feel it. Wow. Well, we'll see how it holds up during my first cycle with it. I've become tired of buying and using tampons (pads are out of the question), so I've decided to try DC. I would have went with the Keeper, but I do have a latex allergy.
entropy13
QUOTE(LoveMyPugs @ Jan 21 2008, 09:05 AM) *
I have short fingers and a big belly so I have a hard time reaching up inside myself. I think that might be an issue for some. It was certainly the issue for me. I could never get the diva cup to work for me. Maybe I'll try again this month. I always seem to blow a gasket with that thing and end up having to rush home to change.

I have the same problem (short fingers) and I had a lot of trouble at first. For whatever reason the damn thing always works its way all the way up, so it's absolutely unreachable with my lamentably short little fingers, and even pushing didn't make it reachable enough, though I could just *almost* grab it. One memorable time... well, let's just say if I was living alone I'd have had to seek medical assistance.

So I gave up for a while. But then I had a brainstorm, and tied a piece of narrow cloth ribbon VERY tightly to the stem. Voila. No more problems. Now I love it and it works just fine. The string lets me get it down to where I can reach the stem. I do boil it to keep the string situation from getting gross.

Posting this in case someone else might find it useful info.
chickenlittle
hey, all-
i've had my diva cup for a few years now- i LOVE it and won't ever go back to tampons or pads, no question- but lately i feel like i'm not getting it as clean as it could be. i soak it in warm soapy water, i boil it occasionally and even soak it for a few minutes here and there in a vinegar/water combo. Anyone have any suggestions for getting it squeaky clean?
thanks!
.eilleen.
QUOTE(chickenlittle @ Apr 3 2008, 11:32 AM) *
hey, all-
i've had my diva cup for a few years now- i LOVE it and won't ever go back to tampons or pads, no question- but lately i feel like i'm not getting it as clean as it could be. i soak it in warm soapy water, i boil it occasionally and even soak it for a few minutes here and there in a vinegar/water combo. Anyone have any suggestions for getting it squeaky clean?
thanks!

You can boil it for a few minutes or so. Any stains? Wipe it with rubbing alcohol.
chickenlittle
thanks for the suggestions, eilleen! appreciated.
hellotampon
I used to use a latex diaphragm for BC, but it made a great menstrual cup as well. Unfortunately I ended up with BV and I'm pretty sure I can blame the diaphragm for that.

Should I bother getting a cup? My period only lasts 1-2 each month and isn't very heavy.
.eilleen.
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Apr 7 2008, 09:11 PM) *
I used to use a latex diaphragm for BC, but it made a great menstrual cup as well. Unfortunately I ended up with BV and I'm pretty sure I can blame the diaphragm for that.

Should I bother getting a cup? My period only lasts 1-2 each month and isn't very heavy.

I highly recommend it. You not only save so much money in the long run, but you are also helping the environment by eliminating the use of tampons and pads that get thrown in landfills. It's great for all: light, in between, heavy days.
jsmith
Does anyone else get air escaping after putting in their cup? Usually, it happens for just a little while after I put it in. It's kind of annoying.
mouse
i do, jsmith. it's really annoying, especially as it fills up and the air has nowhere else to go. what i've found that helps is to squeeze it a little after it's situated...usually i can get quite a bit of air out without losing the suction seal or "popped-out" feel that the cup gets when it's properly inserted. maybe try that?

jsmith
I certainly will try that.
A big concern I have with the air escaping is that it might be the cause of leaking for me. My diva would sometimes leak like mad, so I'm thinking, maybe the air that gets trapped and wants to come out is interfering with the suction?
Lady Selena
I am looking to getting either the Diva Cup or the the Keeper. But I have a VERY heavy flow the first three day. i am getting tired going threw all the pads and stuff. Does any one have any advise on which hold up the best to a heavy flow?
humanist77
Selena, I have a copper IUD which gives me insanely heavy flow the first couple of days-like 2 ounces each day-and the Diva Cup holds up quite well. I have to empty it at least twice a day, as it only holds one ounce. If I don't empty it more than once a day in those first two days, it will leak-but that's with A LOT of fluid. I haven't had any experience with the Keeper. Does anyone know how much it holds?
Lady Selena
humanist - Thanks... I have to change my clothes at least twice because i leaked threw pad and clothe s. I can't even wear tampons because i leak around them and have to wear a pad anyway. I don't mind if I have to empty it twice I just want to stop the flood.
humanist77
You should definitely give the cup a try-but for the first cycle wear a back-up pad until you know how often you need to empty the cup to prevent leaks~
AsparagusBerry
I have a question about the diva cup, I am thinking about trying it, but I am pretty apprehensive because I have an IUD. I have been reading that a lot of girls are having trouble getting it out, and was wondering if I had that problem, would it suck out the IUD? My periods are super super light and I hate wasting/wearing pads because my period is too light for a tampon...what do you girls think?

EDIT

As I scrolled down, I noticed that humanist mentioned something about her iud, so I am guessing it is relatively safe...but I still want to know if it could be sucked out, or if the diva cup is good for a light flow.
humanist77
asparagus-it's never felt as though the cup would suck the IUD out. Lighter flows are fine with the cup, but you might also want to try the sea sponge tampons-which are perfect for that. You can find them at jadeandpearl.com smile.gif
Lady Selena
Well I got my Diva cup! Now I just have to wait for my period, which should be any day now. I plan to wear a pad just to make sure i get the hang of things. I had my hubby pick it up at whole foods on the way home from work. I like to make him blush, evil aren't I.

Now I just have to work out how not to feel like I am PG when I know I can't be..sigh
pqhaattte
i have been using the keeper for about two years now and i looooove it. i recommend it to everyone i meet. i even gave my sisters and best friend their own keepers for christmas a few years back.

it looks like most of you use the diva cup. i have a friend who returned hers because it's made of silicone and therefore isn't biodegradable. she's going for seasponge tampons and padded undies now.

it is so nice not to spend $60 every two months on tampons/pads. my mother said to me the other day, "wow, so we're going back to dealing with our periods the way my mother did, hm?" kind of an interesting way to look at it -- getting over our commercial, starched and bleached approach to a period and returning to what our "foremothers" did. it's reassuring in a sense. but also -- i think we're waaaay more technically advanced than my grandmother's counterparts were. and this thread is just further proof of that. wink.gif
tanks79
QUOTE(humanist77 @ May 20 2008, 10:23 PM) *
asparagus-it's never felt as though the cup would suck the IUD out. Lighter flows are fine with the cup, but you might also want to try the sea sponge tampons-which are perfect for that. You can find them at jadeandpearl.com smile.gif

I was reading up on the diva cup, cause it sounded interesting, I was reading the website FAQ and this is what it said about IUD

The DivaCup is not suggested for use with an Intrauterine Device (IUD). It is possible for the IUD to become dislodged, displaced or removed when the menstrual cup is removed by inadvertently pulling on the IUD string. As with all gynecological concerns, please consult with your physician.
themeiu
I just had a friend who was hospitalized for Toxic Shock. You hear that it could happen all the time, but I've never known someone who had gotten it. She was in critical condition for a while, but she pulled through. However, she has to be extra extra careful now because she is much more likely to get it again.
Anyone know anything about whether the diva cup can contribute to TSS or if it's just tampons? From what I understand the body is reacting to the presence of dead blood cells still in the body. It seems like with the diva cup, there is more of a barrier between the cells and the skin vs. tampons, but I could be misunderstanding. Any thoughts?
katzenkraft
Hi there,
I use the Diva cup since a couple of months now and I really love it, I couldn't ever even think about using tampons again huh.gif

*themeiu, I think I read something in the Diva Cup instruction, that told that there isn't a high risk of tss while using the cup but I don't remember the details

By the way - I haven't read the whole thread and so I don't know if it had been mentionend - does any of you ladies have an idea how to clean the cup - I mean I think I'm not the only one whose cup got an ugly brownish shade after using it for longer - or am I ? unsure.gif

I'm thankful for any advice on how to "bleach" it without totally screwing it
thanks! tongue.gif
katzenkraft
Hi there again,
in the meantime I found a great way myself, maybe it helps others, too

I "cooked" the divacup in a pot with water, apple vinegar and baking soda.
It looks like new now, but you have to be careful, if too much water is gone, the cup will melt (that's what I read, mine is fine wink.gif
So enjoy your fresh cups smile.gif
<3 <3 <3
mouse
i boil mine before each cycle. it disinfects, but it's no longer a clear plastic. i don't care, though--it's not like i'm showing it to anyone.

i am crossposting in other pertinent threads but i have a question--i'm looking into buying cloth pads, just as a backup for the divacup or overnight, and there seem to be a few to choose from. does anyone have experience with a specific maker that they loved? any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks!
persimmon_grrrl
hello all!

i'll keep the disinfecting tips in mind...cos *i just ordered* ("just" = last week) my first evah divacup (starter kit)!

i'm excited, and lately (for the past few days or so), my boobs have been sore. bring it on! er, i hope the post delivers the diva cup soon! rolleyes.gif

yay!
vegdumpling
QUOTE(mouse @ Jul 11 2008, 11:26 PM) *
i boil mine before each cycle. it disinfects, but it's no longer a clear plastic. i don't care, though--it's not like i'm showing it to anyone.

i am crossposting in other pertinent threads but i have a question--i'm looking into buying cloth pads, just as a backup for the divacup or overnight, and there seem to be a few to choose from. does anyone have experience with a specific maker that they loved? any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks!

i use the divacup but i also use lunapads. i love them, pretty patterns, it snaps on my undies, or you could buy lunapanties from them. the pad is on top so if i need to change the pad i get something fresh and clean instead of like with gladrags the blood is still on top and the absorbing part underneath is changed. even better is how soft it is, it doesn't feel like you are wearing anything different than underwear. also, the ladies who work there are very nice and will help put together a package to fit your own specifications if they don't offer it. they have lots of options though, light, heavy, regular, long for nighttime, daily wear stuff, even hankies and blankets. okay, i guess you get that i am highly recommending their products and i'll quit it.

lunapads.com
erinjane
For cleaning the cup and getting it to not look so brownish, I tried using alcohol swabs (which I have because i have diabetes). They worked great. I scrubbed it for 5 minutes with a few swabs this morning and it almost looked new.
LoveMyPugs
I <3 my lunapads. I bought the full deluxe kit and it's the perfect amount. My period is medium to heavy. They are soft, especially after being in the dryer. Easy to take care of as well. Can't recommend them enough.

kittenb
While I love my Keeper Moon Cup, I have never managed to make it work 100% of the time. And sometimes I just don't feel like wearing it. I use pads or pantyliners as a backup but I think I am going to save up for Lunapads. I am just tired of the itchy dryness that pads leave me with at the end of my period.
I want the Delux kit. It a wide variety of colors. smile.gif

I will say that getting the Cup was a good idea. I really have learned more about my body and my cycle and just gotten more comfortable and respectful of my blood and all that comes with menstration. It just will not make a water-tight seal in my body so I always have leaks.

And am I the only person who needs to remove her Cup to have a bowel movement?
persimmon_grrrl
i am so pleased.

my divacup starter kit arrived in the mail today! did anybody else notice a pleasant smell coming from the included materials?

it wasn't at all chemically, strong, or unpleasant. just a nice smell.

and someone wrote, "blessings!" in big, pink cursive lettering on the bottom of my billing statement! it was so sweet.

anyway, i am ready and excited to learn how to use this thing.

after years and years of wondering ...
mouse
thanks for the responses ladies! definitely will look into lunapads.

kitten, i don't find i have to remove mine but it certainly sometimes feels like it's in danger of popping out! i also find that wearing the cup constricts urine flow which is kind of annoying, but i still prefer it miles and miles above tampons. i can't even imagine dealing with tampons now. i've had my divacup for about a year and can't imagine life without it.
nicolemr
QUOTE(themeiu @ Jun 29 2008, 12:41 AM) *
I just had a friend who was hospitalized for Toxic Shock. You hear that it could happen all the time, but I've never known someone who had gotten it. She was in critical condition for a while, but she pulled through. However, she has to be extra extra careful now because she is much more likely to get it again.
Anyone know anything about whether the diva cup can contribute to TSS or if it's just tampons? From what I understand the body is reacting to the presence of dead blood cells still in the body. It seems like with the diva cup, there is more of a barrier between the cells and the skin vs. tampons, but I could be misunderstanding. Any thoughts?

I read on the Diva Cup site that the risk of TSS is from the tampons absorbing the liquids in your vagina. Since the Diva Cup does not absorb then there is no risk. I think I read it on their FAQ page. Hope this helps. I have been reading up on it bc i am sick of tampons. Tampax changed their design and it leaks all the time and falls out!!! So I am in the market for something new and eco friendly is a plus also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.