Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Diva Cup versus The Keeper
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
ms.nocturne
HELP!!! I am SOOOO about to be through with the @#$%^& Diva Cup.

Everyone I have read online says it's the best thing ever, but it has been a total pain for me. I bought it last month, because I am broke and thought it would be an investment to stop me from having to buy tampons every month, but I am thisclose to saying fuck it and considering a lost cause. I need feedback in a big way.

So I have been having my period since Monday. I used it Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, no problem whatsoever. Thursday morning, while I was exercising, I felt a little gush, like the over-filled tampon feeling, and rushed to the bathroom. Sure enough, my underwear were a little red. Figuring maybe I'd done something wrong during insertion, I pulled it out (it was only about 1/3 full), cleaned it, and reinserted it more carefully. It worked for all the rest of Thursday, but leaked like a mofo overnight, and when I went to pull it out, it was waaaay up there, and really tough to pull out Friday morning. I once again cleaned it, carefully reinserted it and tried to go about my day.

Friday, the damn thing leaked every 2 hours all day long. I ride a bike for transportation. I wait tables for a living. This was bad. I worked a double shift on Friday that was extremely busy for 13 hours straight. Every time I disappeared from the busy restaurant to pull the (gory, leaking) cup out, the stem was cocked sideways toward the right just inside my opening. Now, I know I don't have a crooked vagina, because the damned thing stayed straight and worked for 3 days. Last night, it leaked like crazy, too, and I had to wash my undies in the sink for the first time in years this morning. Today, still, leaking. Using a pantiliner now, since I no longer trust the device.

What happened? Did it stretch me out to the point where it doesn't seal anymore? I know I'm not usually exceptionally large "down there" because big penises hurt me and I use the "slender" size tampons without issue. I have the size 1, because I am 27 and have never been pregnant. Why would it go sideways? I do a fair amount of squatting at my job, and lots and lots of walking, but I have heard that you supposedly can do cartwheels and hike w/ the cup.

Any ideas?
mouse
ms.nocturne, the only times i've ever had leaking issues with the cup was when it was too full. my only thought other than try the larger size would be to make absolutely sure that it's "popped out" after you insert. you can feel with your fingers if it feels full and taut like a balloon (good, suction acheived) or if it feels uneven on one side or kind of "thin" (bad).

also--and this is kinda gross, so sorry--i'm not sure if everyone has this "talent" (???) but i find i can sort of "suck in" air with my cooze. if i insert the cup and it doesnt want to pop out, if i suck in air it helps the cup pop. i hang on to the stem, "suck in" with my lady muscles, which seems to slightly expand the inside of the vagina and lets the cup pop to its original shape. when i let my muscles relax, they relax around the cup in the proper position.

hope that helps!

oh, also--welcome to bust, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE before you do anymore posting, stop by the newbies thread and introduce yourself. it's the only way to ensure a good busting experience wink.gif
Lily_Anne
Hi all,

I'm not ready to bid goodbye to tampons just yet, but I am happy about discovering o.b. - am slowly cutting down on the amount of materials I use. All those applicators that go in the trash!

Currently my biggest obstacle to switching to Lunas and cups is the issue of Water. So many people in this world do not have access to clean water, and somehow it turns into an issue of waste generation vs. water consumption. Alas.
mouse
i gotta say, i don't understand that argument at all. do you use plastic silverware so that you don't waste water re-using the regular kind?? landfills leach chemicals into water sources anyway, so damned if you do, damned if you don't. if you really feel bad about it, why not combine your less-waste choice with a donation to a clean water access charity? i know i sound snarky here, but i'm mostly just playing environmental devil's advocate...
tankgirl
really? water? that is nothing compared to the wastefulness of tampons and their packaging, even ones w/o applicators. geez.
erinjane
I really don't understand as well. Are you saying you don't want to use lunapads because you'll have to use more water to wash them? That logic doesn't even follow in my head. When I use them I usually throw them in the shower with me to rinse them off and then just put them in with my regular laundry. I don't even end up using any more water than usual for the divacup, except to boil it once or twice a month to clean it.
lilacwine13
I think I understand the idea--washing cloth pads out in some place like, say some parts of Africa would be problematic due to water shortages. However, as tankgirl pointed out, tampons and nonreusable pads generate waste on their own. They don't biodegrade, so they will be around for a long time. I read somewhere the program Always (or whoever makes Always) was running in Africa was building incinerators near the villages where they were donating pads, which is problematic as well, since burning plastic gives off toxic fumes.

If I misunderstood and you're talking about washing out the pads yourself, then I'm with everyone else and wondering what you're talking about. Usually I just soak my pads in a small container, then wash them with the rest of my clothes; the cup I just rinse out. Considering my period is slightly unpredictable and I usually end up soaking something once a month, having to soak a pad is no big deal.

I think it's great that you've discovered ob--that was my gateway into this. Cutting down on waste, no matter how small, is important. If you decide to try something reusable, then we're here to help and offer advice.
Lily_Anne
Points taken. Thanks smile.gif
fuego_lento
You probably don't know this but you all were instrumental in my decision to give up Insteads (which I've used since 2000 but had been less than thrilled with their recent leakiness) and switch to the Moon Cup. I'm not menstrual enough that leakage would be an issue just yet and I wanted to see what the Moon Cup was like without the mess of days 1.5-3 of my period. But please reassure me that the removal gets easier.

I was amazed at how easy it was to insert. Thing is, I can feel it there. I remember this hyperawareness with the Insteads the first few months and it passed, so no big deal -- I assume it's a question of finding the right angle. The stem has been driving me crazy all day, which is a problem because I have herpes and this is the sort of thing that could trigger an outbreak. And that would be sucktastic indeed. I plan to cut the stem, but and hesitant to do it until I get the hang of removing the thing. I tried removing it a little while ago and while I understood that there is suction involved in how the cup works, I had the hardest time getting it out. Pushing down while pinching the base and tugging on the stem only allowed me to pull the stem til it stretched and then snapped back inside me. I tried slipping a finger under the edge, but it felt like my cervix was taking up most of the space in the cup and the best I could do was tilt it to a really uncomfortable angle for a few seconds.

When I did finally manage to break the suction it made enough noise that I'm glad our bathroom is at the far end of the apartment, away from the bedrooms. I swear I'm doing something wrong (I think I'm writing this for posterity so I can look back in a couple months and laugh). Please just reassure me it gets easier.
ketto
fuego, honestly I think it just takes practice. I've had my divacup (which i know is slightly different) for over 5 years and I remember the first 2-3 months I could feel it and was very aware. I hated the stem and I didn't use it to pull the cup out because I couldn't get a grip on it. I ended up cutting it off and then filing it totally flat, otherwise I could feel it.

When I pull mine out I'm able to fit my thumb and my forefinger in just enough to pinch the bottom and break the suction. I think I sort of twist, and then pull really quickly. This usually results in more messiness, but I don't mind that part. I just rinse myself off and I'm good to go.
fuego_lento
Thanks, Ketto. I get annoyed when I don't just *get it* on the first or second try, and this was a good 15 minutes spent in the bathroom with too many fingers up my ladyparts unable to extricate something that sounded simple. I'm worried that this is going to be a bumpy learning curve for me.
angie_21
Just wanted to poke my nose in on this.. I had a diva cup and got a nasty infection while travelling, due to not being able to thoroughly clean it, and probably also because of letting it touch a hotel bathtub for 20 seconds. This was after using it for a year with no problems. Caused a UTI at the same time, and sadly have had a strong aversion to using it ever since. So.. be careful, I guess!
lilacwine13
I'm just agreeing with ketto here, fuego. It took me a couple months to get the hang of it, and then I had to learn how to do it for camping. That was not fun, but now I don't have any problems with it in any situation. I know it can be frustrating, but it will get easier.
fuego_lento
Thank you all! Just when I started thinking I'd gotten the hang of removing it, I'd have another episode where I just couldn't get the thing out. It's getting easier, though, and the WTF moments are much fewer than on day one. I think I'm definitely a convert!
tankgirl
angie 21 work for tampax? lol jk

I have never heard of anyone getting a UTI by using a keeper, actually they protect us from TSS and are much more clean that a pad or tampon IMO. YAY for no chemicals in my cooch!
Stone
QUOTE(frogger @ Apr 23 2006, 09:37 AM) *
HI i got the diva cup and i've been happily using it but im thinking of going back to pads because : im more or less a virgin and i was kind of wondering if anyone thought it would like..stretch me out down there? make me less sensitive or give me a "floopy vagina" cause those are two things i would rather avoid

I have never had any "floopy vagina" problems after using the diva cup.
ketto
Hey stone, not sure if you realized but you replied to a comment made almost three years ago. tongue.gif
angie_21
QUOTE(tankgirl @ Feb 1 2009, 04:31 PM) *
angie 21 work for tampax? lol jk

I have never heard of anyone getting a UTI by using a keeper, actually they protect us from TSS and are much more clean that a pad or tampon IMO. YAY for no chemicals in my cooch!

Ha ha no in fact I hate using them. Usually I only use products for the first few days and then I have a set of underwear that I let get stained.

I have a tilted cervix and weird build "down there", leading to a tendency toward UTIs. for some girls, the cup puts pressure on the urethra, causing incomplete voiding of the bladder and retention of bacteria., leading to UTI

I really miss using it, I never had problems putting it in or getting a seal, either!
jsmith
Angie, I was always under the impression that urine was sterile, thus having some remaining urine in the bladder would not be conducive to the growth of bacteria..
I would be more inclined to think that cleaning the cup with, say, something scented would contribute to a uti. But I'm no doctor.
angie_21
jsmith, urine is sterile, but the area "down there" is very unsterile. What happens is bacteria and yeast from the vag and/or bum travel pretty far, especially in the presence of moisture or sweat from working out, sex, etc. If these get in the urethra, they can travel up to the bladder (in a matter of hours, if you have a short urethra). Frequent urination washes them back out before they can settle in to the bladder and start an infection. If you google "diva cup" or "instead" with "UTI" you will see that I am not the only one (but also that some girls have no problems at all!)

I really didn't mean to sound like I was saying not to use the diva cup! I just wanted to warn people that proper cleaning and use is important, and that if you are prone to UTI's, you should give your bladder a break and not use it 24 hours straight. Sorry if I came across otherwise. As I said, I used to use it and absolutely loved it until my problem, which was avoidable, and I was hoping to help others avoid it!
jsmith
Ah, I see - thanks for clarifying. You didn't come across as saying "don't use the cup" at all. Hm.. sometimes my cup presses against my urethra, but I find that doing some hard kegels helps adjust things. But I suppose you've tried that one already. Have you looked at any of the smaller varieties? With the boom of menstrual cups that has taken place recently, there's bound to be something for everyone!
tankgirl
I was just kidding about that comment I made. I have to admit, when you posted that you had only made a couple of posts, so I was assuming you were another troll. Sorry about that. I belong to numerous boards that have a diva cup/keeper thread and I have never heard of them causing a UTI.
To be honest about it, I hardly ever thoroughly clean mine and I have been using it for about 7 years. Actually my first one lasted 7 years, and then cracked a but so I decided to get a new one recently that I have had for a couple of years. I have never had any medical problems caused by it, but I also empty mine like a fool because it has been leaking more often for me with the new one.
angie_21
No worries. I can totally see how you could have been a little suspicious! I am very jealous that you could use yours for so long, but also inspired to try again. I had the smaller size (1, I think) in the diva cup. I liked it because it was silicone. Do you know of any specific smaller brands?

I have always wondered if these things will ever be available at regular drug stores. "Instead" is only available at one drugstore where I live, and you have to go to cheesy health food stores to buy the diva cup. The keeper doesn't even exist here!
ketto
Re: availability. When I bought mine over 5 years ago I had to order from the 'net. Now you can buy them at most shoppers drug marts here, the university women's centre, and many health food stores and organic food stores. Definitely gaining popularity...people are no longer as confused when I mention the words "divacup".
tankgirl
I use a keeper. When I got my first one, it was the only one that I had heard of and I had to buy it on the internet. They come in 2 sizes B and A. B is actually smaller because it means "before childbirth" and A means "after childbirth." I don't know how it compares in size with the diva because I have never used a diva cup. Maybe it is smaller? I know they go inside a bit differently, so who knows, it might work for you?

And they carry Diva cups and glad rags at my neighborhood CoOp. Pretty cool. I may get a diva as my next one just because I can actually buy it at a store!
lilacwine13
I bought my Diva Cup online. I'm not sure about other varieties and how they compare, though; this is my first cup and it's held up pretty well.

And I can't tell you where else to buy them off line. My local food co-ops carry them and I think I saw the Keeper in Whole Foods the last time I was in one. They also carried Glad Rags too.
angie_21
Has anyone tried the sea sponge? It looks like it could be really cool, and not cause the feeling of always needing to pee that I get with the cup.

Jade and Pearl sponge

It claims to be all natural and environmentally friendly. But I am wondering, how is harvesting sea sponges environmentally friendly? Does anyone know about this?

If no ones has tried them out, I think I will because I am getting pretty desparate for something natural but cleaner than reusable pads. So if anyone is interested, I will let you all know how it goes!
auralpoison
The harvesting of sea sponges releases their eggsies & spermsies into the surrounding water, that makes them a renewable & sustainable product.
angie_21
cool. Thanks!
pollystyrene
I bought some a few years ago because I was anticipating a vacation during my period where swimming would take place. Well, it never happened and I haven't used them. In the brochure that came with them, it said that the sponges are specifically created and farmed for this purpose, they're not just harvesting "wild" sponges (hee hee!) from the environment.
angie_21
OK. well, I am attempting one last try at the cup - I just ordered a ladycup all the way from Europe. They are softer and smaller than the diva cup or keeper, so they just might work. If not, then on to trying the sponge!
jsmith
Woops, forgot about this thread. I think you made a good choice there, ladycup would be the first one I would've suggested. I hope it will work out for you. You know, I've noticed that most women who have tried the diva hate it compared to whatever new variety they buy. They all say it's too stiff and too long. But I've never heard any criticisms about the ladycup (or the mooncup uk). Did you get a particular color?
humanist77
Just got some sea sponges. I've used the DC for years, but I need something for lighter days.
Although one thing I liked about the DC is that it doesn't absorb moisture, just collects it-obviously not the case with sponges. I'll give my reviews once I've used them a bit : )
angie_21
jsmith - I wanted to get the pretty yellow one, especially since it was one sale this month! But the plain one was just slightly cheaper on Ebay, and easier to order. Also the divacup website said something about colored silicone not being tested for safety in Canada, but maybe they have done tests over in Europe. If I like this one, I might order a backup yellow one smile.gif Either way, I am jealous of how much variety they have in Europe for these products!

Thanks humanist, please let us know how it works out!
jsmith
Ah, that's just as well I guess. They had problems with the green ones cracking not too long ago, had to send everyone a new cup in a different color. I'd like a blue or a green, myself. But I already have two cups, lol!
stargazer
i know this sounds odd, but i was happy to get my period this month so i could try the diva cup. i was anticipating some initial discomfort due to previous posts. alas, i had no issues. it was kinda anticlimatic for me. i used the cup on the first day of my period, did a yoga class, and removed the cup with no problems. i hope things continue smoothly with my use of the diva cup.
angie_21
Yay Stargazer! Sorry for writing anything that might have scared people away from the divacup when it so clearly works for a lot of people. This may be TMI, but... I have finally figured out that the "tilted cervix" my doctor once mentioned to me actually makes my build much more unique that I had realized. My pubic bone is also "tilted," and kinda blocks the divacup from being easily inserted (though it holds it in place very well!). It actually can get in the way of a few different activities, but until recently I just thought everyone was built like that! You learn something new every day...
humanist77
star I was excited to get it too the first time I tried the cup!
I was wondering about the colorful Ladycups-I sent an email to the company asking if they are known to be non-toxic, but no one has replied yet :\ They're kinda purty though, I like the purple one :)
I'm trying the sponges today-I think so far, so good. I was surprised at how soft and squishy they get after you rinse them-when I inserted it, it kind of squished into a little ball-it was hard to keep it spread out. So not sure if that will effect how much it will absorb. But I don't feel it at all :)

ETA: ooo i just took it out-it does expand again : )
edie52
Has anyone used both the keeper and the diva cup? (The title suggests yes, but I'm too lazy to read back pages and pages.)

I got a keeper about 4 or 5 years ago. I used it for a little while, it was fine for the most part, then I kind of stopped for a few years. My last few periods I've tried again, and I hate it. It is too rigid/rubbery for my liking, making both insertion and removal uncomfortable, and it always tilts to the side, so the stem pokes the inner wall of my vagina. I don't want to cut the stem off completely, because that would make removal even more of a bitch.

The other day I was at a store and saw a sample Diva Cup for the first time. I felt it; it was sooo soft and flexible! However, I'm wary of investing another $40-$50 on something I'll barely use.
turbojenn
Edie, I haven't used the Keeper, but I'd also recommend looking online for a Diva Cup if you decide to get one - they're about $20-25 online. I did have to trim off the whole stem on the Diva Cup, but I haven't had any real trouble in getting it out, either - just take a deep breath and give a good push with your muscles while you try and grab it. Also, I find that first thing in the morning when I need to empty it, it tends to settle in a little deeper overnight, but if I walk the dog before I empty it, it moves back down a little. So what I'm saying, is you should have a dog AND a Diva Cup. Logical, right? smile.gif
edie52
Thanks, turbojenn. I'm in Canada (I was about to preface that with "unfortunately," but in general I don't feel unfortunate being Canadian!), so with the exchange rate and shipping it would probably be considerably more. The one I saw in the store here was $40, + tax, which would come out to over $45. Maybe I'll try trimming the whole stem off my keeper. Based on having felt them both, I would guess that the diva cup is superior- it's just so much more flexible.
solaria
Hi everyone,

I've had my Diva cup for about three years, and about two years ago I had my first ever yeast infection. I didn't think it was there was a connection, but I sterilized it with boiling water everyday I was using it just as an extra precaution. Then the yeast infection came back a few times, like every two or three months and I decided to forgo internal "protection" altogether, and I've had no trouble since, which was about a year ago. Maybe I'm allergic to sillicone? I have a friend who gets the yeasties everytime she uses latex condoms. I use cloth pads exclusively but with summer coming up I'm thinking about trying a Keeper, which I believe is made of tree rubber. Has anyone else had this happen? Any advice?
pollystyrene
I had an allergic reaction to a mouth guard made of silicone and acrylic, so I think it's possible to be allergic to silicone. I've never been allergic to it in other ways, so maybe because I'd have it in for hours at a time while I slept (same as you'd have a Dive Cup in), the prolonged exposure caused the reaction?
humanist77
I posted this in the IUD thread for some reason, but meant to post it in here : )
So-I had to switch back to my cup last night from the sponges. They were great when I was bleeding light the first day, but on the second day, those elevator doors opened and the sponge could not handle it. Plus it expanded so much from all the fluid that it hurt like HELL to drag that giant, soaked sponge out. It was also quite difficult-it really got lodged up there. The fibers are softer when wet, but when it's so large, they just chafe against the vaginal wall very painfully. So I would definitely not recommend sponges for heavier days. I do still plan on using the smaller sponges (I got two sizes) for lighter days, however. I didn't leak a drop with those, and they were comfortable.
ketto
Humanist, I don't use the sponges anymore, but I did for a little while. When I got them they recommended cutting them down yourself at home to a managable size. I know I ordered a small size but I still ended up having to trim them down quite a bit for myself.
Mermeg
I've known about the Diva Cup for years but just finally acquired one last week. I got it the first day of my period and tried inserting it but I must have done it wrong because it was very uncomfortable and I was completely aware of its presence, which I assume you shouldn't be if it's in correctly. I ended up taking it out and not using it again. I'll try again next month, I swear. I just had this wave of paranoia that if I pushed it back too far I would lose it and it would be stuck and I don't have health insurance so a trip to a doctor is out, so yeah...like I said, paranoia. I'm sure I'll be fine once I get over that initial discomfort and figure it out. I so love the idea of using it. And good for you Star, for having no initial problems...that's encouraging.
angie_21
Mermeg - some people are more comfortable than others with it, but you really don't have to worry about it getting stuck. Mine always formed a really strong seal, and sometimes I had a helluva time getting it out while still learning, but even then, it could always be done. It's not going anywhere and there's no way it can get out of reach. All you have to do is push it out like you're trying really hard ot pee, and it will be easier to reach. However, if it's still uncomfortable after you've gotten better at it, don't force it (in or out), or you'll just tense yourself up and make it harder. I'm pretty sure I managed to bruise myself a couple times that way. just go back and try again later!

I am still waiting for my ladycup in the mail. Stupid 4-6 week international shipping. If it makes it by week 5, it will be just in time to test it out!
pollystyrene
I can't imagine the DivaCup getting so far up you couldn't reach it. A tampon, maybe. Not the DivaCup. I know, irrational fears are just that- irrational. Whether you're on your period or not, you could try practicing, to get more used to it. It's not like tampons, where there's a risk of TSS from it. I also found mine to be uncomfortable while I was wearing it, and so now I just wear it at night.
jsmith
You don't have to dig to China to get it out, lol.
I've said this before, but I think it's worth saying again - if your vaginal muscles are tense, relax your jaw. MANY women find that consciously relaxing the jaw makes everything else relax. Just don't fall over.
fuego_lento
Just sticking my head in to thank you all for the advice back in January. Three months in, I can say with confidence that I've got the hang of the Luna Cup and I love it. I've cut off most of the stem, and although I can still feel it sometimes I want to keep it until I'm 100 percent comfortable getting it out. Mine seems to sit pretty high, and insertion is easy but removal isn't always a snap. But whatever -- I can wear this much longer than anything else I've ever used, and no worries about leakage (the only leaks I've had were when it wasn't in place correctly) even during exercise. I love this thing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.