Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions & Comments about the Magazine
The BUST Lounge > From the Top > The BUST Line
Pages: 1, 2, 3
nellie
I'd love to intern at Bust, but I'm not sure who to contact. Any ideas?
kaylamae
I thoroughly enjoy reading your magazine, but am now living in china, where english magazines are about as common as platinum blonde and blue eyes. I know that the order forms in the boobtique offer China as a possibly destination for orders, but i was wondering if any of you knew the likely hood of the magazine being confiscated as inappropriate or cultrally offensive upon its arrival at chinese customs. The fact that the website is open to access suggests that the book is not banned completely, but i have recently had a bad experience with trying to have things shipped to me. I really want to have access to your magazine while i am here and would just place the order to see what happnes, but i honestly can not afford the ordering and shipping costs. i can justify the frivolous sepnding if i am getting something i want as much as i want bust, but i can't spend that much on an importing experiment.

any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated
ritahayworth
Just picked up the Oct/Nov issue -- and that Amy Poehler interview is the best interview Bust has ever had. Can she PLEASE be the official Bust mascot? She's fantastic. (Jill too!)
crashedyellow
Three cheers for BUST's usage of recycled magazine paper! 80 to 100% is very impressive.

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!

The issue as a whole is exactly the kind of brilliant content we've all come to expect and love, but this new development is something that warranted me coming on the website, signing up for the "lounge", and posting this.

This warrants me finally getting a real subscription after six years of grabbing it from bookstores and news / magazine shops.
naidababy
QUOTE(nellie @ Oct 6 2006, 02:17 PM) *

I'd love to intern at Bust, but I'm not sure who to contact. Any ideas?

I am interested as well! Please email me if you find out:
stephanie.nolasco@gmail.com
MaryEllen
i don't know if anyone actually reads this, but i just wanted to say for the record how utterly disheartened and disappointed i am that there is a cigarette ad on pg. 2 of the most recent issue.

i thought bust was better than that.

Midge, me too! I have actually written to Debbie and to the advertising manager twice, asking them to please stop promoting cigarettes... and both of my letters have been soundly ignored. It's so disappointing -- I didn't even get a form letter. Just silence.
pollystyrene
There's an ad for American Spirit cigarettes in this month's issue. Anyone laboring under the delusion that those are any healthier for them is an idiot. I really don't like that Bust prints these ads.
MaryEllen
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Nov 14 2006, 11:23 PM) *

There's an ad for American Spirit cigarettes in this month's issue. Anyone laboring under the delusion that those are any healthier for them is an idiot. I really don't like that Bust prints these ads.

Yeah, I saw that. I was so disappointed. I really like Bust but... I smoked for years, and it was so hard for me to quit. I'm also still mourning the deaths of two friends, who both died of cancer.
Louisa
Hi,

I've got a problem with the people who deliver BUST overseas. My September/October issue still hasn't arrived. I've asked for it to be resent, but that was over two weeks ago and now they are not replying to my emails.

If anyone who has any power over this is reading, this is not a good service! Is there anyone else can bug about getting this sorted out?

Thanks

Louisa
pollystyrene
Someone from Bust posted here a little while ago and said they would be changing fulfillment companies soon because the one they had sucked (I had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with them- they were incompetent a-holes!) so maybe it will get better, Louisa. I think "subscriptions@bust.com" is where you can send questions about subscriptions, though. If I'm wrong, does anyone know the correct email???
midgemcgrath
ugh, seriously, again with the cigarettes? what do we have to do, start some kind of campaign? i am still in shock that they've been running the ads in the first place, WTF?!
MaryEllen
QUOTE(midgemcgrath @ Nov 15 2006, 09:59 PM) *

ugh, seriously, again with the cigarettes? what do we have to do, start some kind of campaign? i am still in shock that they've been running the ads in the first place, WTF?!

Well, I've written to Debbie, and to the advertising person, AND sent a letter to the editor, and every single one has been soundly ignored. I haven't heard a single word back from anyone. I'm beyond disappointed with it now -- I'm trying to cancel my subscription.
girlbomb
It takes money to put out magazines, which is why most of them accept tobacco and booze ads. Without them, many magazines would not be able to publish at all. I think BUST trusts its readers to see the ad and ignore it if they choose. They'd probably prefer that all their ads come from independent women-run businesses (rather than just most of their ads coming from those sources), but the financial realities don't permit that.
erinjane
I think that's a really good point, gb. There was a really good article by Gloria Steinem I read in class recently about how they wanted to advertise and how hard it was. I'll see if I can dig it up. Not saying that's an excuse for booze and tabacco ads, but it gives some insight. Although Ms. and Bust are quite different.
Louisa
Sorry to keep butting into this conversation (pardon the pun).

I haven't heard anything back from the subscription email address and it's been a couple of weeks now. Can anyone from Bust let me know what's going on?

It's also a bit disappointing not to have an response on the cigarette issue. The latest edition ran one which offered a free pack!

Thanks guys

Lxx
Sarannykins
BUST needs more COLOR. i.e., women of color. I've been wanting to make this comment a long time ago. Feminists do not only come in white, white, white! I love the mag and it's puns and stories and everything. But, what's up with the covers being 98% white girls? What about some sisters, black, asian, Fijian... whatever. Let's include everyone. I am black and I tell you, I have not renewed my subscription b/c of this bland sameness every issue. I only recall seeing Rosie Perez on the cover I believe. There are plenty of talented, smart, sassy women of color you could get. If you need suggestions of some who would be perfect, let me know.

Athena8827
QUOTE(Sarannykins @ Dec 7 2006, 11:24 AM) *

BUST needs more COLOR. i.e., women of color. I've been wanting to make this comment a long time ago. Feminists do not only come in white, white, white! I love the mag and it's puns and stories and everything. But, what's up with the covers being 98% white girls? What about some sisters, black, asian, Fijian... whatever. Let's include everyone. I am black and I tell you, I have not renewed my subscription b/c of this bland sameness every issue. I only recall seeing Rosie Perez on the cover I believe. There are plenty of talented, smart, sassy women of color you could get. If you need suggestions of some who would be perfect, let me know.

So the lead singer of the yeah,yeah,yeahs (korean-american), Peaches (jewish), Sandra Oh (asian american), they don't count? that's just like from the last few issues. Wasn't Maya Rudolph (black) on the cover recently? or was she just a featured interview - I remember reading about her and how SNL was her childhood dream? there was a great article recently too about some kick-ass comediennes from like the 50's & 60's, and half of those ladies were black - I think at least one was jewish too.

I don't think it's 98% white. They could use a bit more diversity with their models, I'll give you that. Some of the fashion spreads are definitely very vanilla. But not all.
MaryEllen
QUOTE(girlbomb @ Nov 16 2006, 10:47 AM) *

It takes money to put out magazines, which is why most of them accept tobacco and booze ads. Without them, many magazines would not be able to publish at all. I think BUST trusts its readers to see the ad and ignore it if they choose. They'd probably prefer that all their ads come from independent women-run businesses (rather than just most of their ads coming from those sources), but the financial realities don't permit that.

I get that -- what has really disappointed me is the fact that I have written to Debbie, and to the woman in charge of advertising, and have written a letter to the editor, and every single one has been soundly ignored. I haven't heard a word in response, not even a form letter.
midgemcgrath
plus, i don't actually care about the whole "bust trusts its readers to do the right thing" point of view, i think that's crap! a magazine as conscientious as bust should be standing up for a set of values that represents the best interests of their readers, which in my opinion should include not encouraging the cigarette industry. would you be saying the same thing about them needing the money and letting readers choose to ignore ads they disagree with if the ads were for anti-abortion groups or plastic surgery clinics? i doubt it very much.
pollystyrene
I know, Midge! As long as Bust continues to run cigarette ads, I would never recommend it to a younger person, like an older teenager. I started reading Sassy at 12 (my mom got me the subscription- yay Mom!) and I don't remember any cigarette ads in there. No way she would have given it to me if there was. They would have gotten letters from both of us!
pollystyrene
Is it a Freudian slip that the return address on my renewal notice is from "North Holywood, CA"?
EllaMinnowPea
I think Bust does an extraordinary job of giving a distinct voice and a sense of cultural identity to empowered women. The music reviews are always bands I'm just getting into, the actresses and featured women are often the brightest in the business, and the fashion section asserts a pride in personal style you don't get from the glorified advertisements of other women's magazines.

Great work, Bust!
mouni4
Only a short visit to

wish Debbie & all other cool Bust Ladies creating this fantastic site and the Girl Wide Web a
wonderful, successful, fun-packed 2007!!!!

U rock!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
kombinikill
QUOTE(Louisa @ Dec 1 2006, 01:02 AM) *

Sorry to keep butting into this conversation (pardon the pun).

I haven't heard anything back from the subscription email address and it's been a couple of weeks now. Can anyone from Bust let me know what's going on?

It's also a bit disappointing not to have an response on the cigarette issue. The latest edition ran one which offered a free pack!

Thanks guys

Lxx

Hey Louisa,

I too have had untold trouble with my overseas (japan) subscription. it took three issues and multiple ignored emails for me to receive my first copy, and the next one was late, and the latest one is still nowhere to be seen. I just sent off this grumpy email:

Hi there,

I have not yet received my December issue of Bust. Is there a problem with delivery or something? I have received four magazine out of my years subscription and not a single one has arrived promptly or without issue.

It is really disheartening to have had such a negative experience with a magazine i like so much. I really want to continue my subscription, it is difficult for me to get to the only Bust stockist I know in Tokyo, and I want to support independent publishing, but the international subscriptions are an absolute disaster. Independent shouldn't have to mean unprofessional.

Claire
angela, always
just wondering if either of you have heard back about the subscriptions yet?
kombinikill
QUOTE(angela, always @ Jan 3 2007, 09:43 PM) *

just wondering if either of you have heard back about the subscriptions yet?

nope, all is silent on the subscription front.

i know from my first round of complaints that they had issues with the distributor so things aren't directly in their control, but it's kind of sucky that they won't even email me back to say "sorry, we're working on the problem" or anything.

grrr. i want to read the (not so) new issue, but i feel so ripped off going to the shop to buy it when i have already paid for it, but i don't want to miss out!

i don't really know what my next step should be.....
LoungeLady
Dearest BUST-y Ladies,
I am sorry that you have not received a reply from the customer service department yet. We very recently switched customer service providers because we were not happy with the service they were providing. We have a pretty big back up on customer service to get through and we are working our hardest to get back on track. Thank you all for your patience, we promise we will do our best to bring smiles to your faces! Please send all customer service complaints to subscriptions@bust.com, our in-house subscription overlord does not check the lounge very often and your problem may get overlooked. Again, thank you all for your patience and please stay BUST-y!
polecat
I am new and not able to start a thread yet, but I was so disappointed to read in the new Bust that Gwen Stefani can't call herself a feminist. Awwww, Gwen, c'mon! I love that the Bust interviews almost always ask this question though. This fascinates me.
bunnyb
polecat, we try to discourage superfluous threads. You could discuss the interview in our magazine thread in Media Whores.
girlbomb
Gwen Stefani came off like a total idiot in that interview. "Nobody's ever defined feminism for me, so I don't know what it is." Really? Nobody's ever explained to you that it's the theory that women and men are equally important and valuable? And you never thought to look it up in a fucking dictionary? When I don't know what a commonly used, politically relevant word means, I tend to try and find its definition *all on my own* like a big girl!

Also, she feels sorry for Margaret Cho for being "ignorant"? This, from the woman who says she doesn't know what feminism means because nobody told her? Doy. Doy doy doy.
erinjane
QUOTE(girlbomb @ Jan 17 2007, 04:02 PM) *

Gwen Stefani came off like a total idiot in that interview. "Nobody's ever defined feminism for me, so I don't know what it is." Really? Nobody's ever explained to you that it's the theory that women and men are equally important and valuable? And you never thought to look it up in a fucking dictionary? When I don't know what a commonly used, politically relevant word means, I tend to try and find its definition *all on my own* like a big girl!

Also, she feels sorry for Margaret Cho for being "ignorant"? This, from the woman who says she doesn't know what feminism means because nobody told her? Doy. Doy doy doy.

Exactly. I lost any respect I had for Gwen stefani as soon as she started using women as fashion accessories. And I fell even more in love with Margaret Cho for her response.
kickitkickitkickit
I really should get a copy.
girlygirlgag
Gwen is making it very hard for me to love her.

COME ON! Especially after she penned a song like "I'm Just A Girl"

I wanna smack her.
culturehandy
Of all the people that could have been on the cover, Gwen.

*takes a seat*

Oh my. I am still shocked. I wonder what her answer would be to a difficult question. Or would that need to be explained as well.
go_kayte
Why the hell didn't they put Kim Gordon on the cover?
Maybe they already have in a previous issue. Still. I was kinda neutral about Gwen Stefani before but after reading that I very much dislike her.

I especially love her total ignorance of the not-filthy-rich... I don't have the mag in front of me so I can't quote it but it was something about "I think it would be totally hard to leave the baby with someone else to go to work. I wouldn't do that." Urgh!
pollystyrene
QUOTE(go_kayte @ Jan 19 2007, 11:21 AM) *

Maybe they already have in a previous issue. Still. I was kinda neutral about Gwen Stefani before but after reading that I very much dislike her.

I know- clearly Kim (and Thurston) had much more to say than Gwen. She is just such a twit. I was so bored reading it- no offense to the interviewer....it was obviously a marketing decision to interview her and have her on the cover. Hmm, making their money by interviewing stupid-but-popular celebrities or having cigarette ads? That's a tough decision.

I found the birthing article more fascinating and I'm a CBC'er!
midgemcgrath
Wow, and a new low with the cigarette ads--cigarette coupons! I am definitely NOT renewing my subscription when it comes up. I just can't be a part of that. And it's just totally ruining an otherwise awesome magazine, I just don't understand!
raisingirl
Bumping this up so it's visible.
hipartmomma
QUOTE(go_kayte @ Jan 19 2007, 12:21 PM) *

I especially love her total ignorance of the not-filthy-rich... I don't have the mag in front of me so I can't quote it but it was something about "I think it would be totally hard to leave the baby with someone else to go to work. I wouldn't do that." Urgh!

That really bothered me too - I have a 7 month old daughter and I don't have the luxury of staying home with her. Plus its healthy to have time away from your kids even though you love them. Yes it bugged me to put her in daycare, but she is a much better sleeper and way more tolerant of spending time away from me...
Yorkie
Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like the Gwen interview or the fact that she's on the cover. I thought I was in a particularly cranky mood (first trimester pregnancy makes me go all Cybil-like on occasion) when I read it, but what really chapped my behind was how she said she would just pass her little one off to a nanny if she had something to do. Allright for some, ay?

I adored Gwen for the longest time, although most of the tracks on her last album left me less than impressed (but whatever...I couldn't do any better). But after this, I dunno. It's really hard to get an idea if she said some of that stuff tongue in cheek from the printed word. She definitely did not come off well, alas.

Yorkie

And oh yeah...the fag ads bite. BLAH.
GlamourDiva
Hmm I haven't read the mag--but I have interviewed Gwen personally during Fashion Week--I'm a freelance writer--and she's absolutely a sweetheart--sometimes things translate wrong..plus she is a new Mom--new Moms are crazee about their kids--wait til her 2nd one--she will be handing the kid off to the crossing guard!! LOL

gd
http://www.colorshowdown.com
jazzjune
I was wondering if BUST accepts unsolicited freelance queries; I guess I can't start another topic because I'm new, and though I searched for some key words, I couldn't find a fitting thread (no pun intended), so I apologize if this has been asked in a previous post.
xo
Jazz
LoungeLady
QUOTE(jazzjune @ Apr 11 2007, 11:12 AM) *
I was wondering if BUST accepts unsolicited freelance queries; I guess I can't start another topic because I'm new, and though I searched for some key words, I couldn't find a fitting thread (no pun intended), so I apologize if this has been asked in a previous post.
xo
Jazz

We most certainly do work with freelancers! Check out our submission guidelines at http://www.bust.com/info/submit.html. Make sure you let us know which section you think your article is best for as well as all of your contact info, and remember, we plan ahead! We're currently working on June/July.

xo
LoungeLady
great
I don't know Gwen in person but I have to say that I love her, she's a sweetheart. I think that in some pictures she looks exactly like Marilyn Monroe. Look at this pictures and say if I'm right or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gwenharlow.jpg
http://www.californiaharleydavidson.com/su...yn%20Monroe.jpg
Brandy, I'm a Fine Girl.
What is the name of the "big sweater lady" featured in this mags music reviews? I'm at work without the mag and I can't remember her name.
crazyoldcatlady
well, there was Leslie Hall who is the lady rapper of "Gem Sweater" fame if that's who you mean.

(she rocks.)
Mary_LV426
Waht's BUST magazine about? I just came here cos of the lounge to chat. Is it a Ladie's magazine?
Lesbajew
QUOTE(Mary_LV426 @ May 19 2007, 01:55 PM) *
Waht's BUST magazine about? I just came here cos of the lounge to chat. Is it a Ladie's magazine?

Bust is impossible to put into a few words.

At it's core, Bust is a feminist magazine. My mother described it a "feminist Cosmogirl."

I don't know if that helps, but it's what I got.
mlleemily
I'm always glad that Bust asks the 'are you a feminist' question too, even when the celebs say no (well I hate celebs who say no, but you get me). It begs the question of quite why they're IN a feminist magazine, but I can think of no other women's magazine that would even ask, and that's sad.
HenriettaPussyCat
I need an index for my Bust library. Is there one?

Like where did I see those embroidery instructions, or the recipe for ceviche, or how to do finger waves.

I'd be happy to contribute to typing up the index but we need a central location for it.

Sorry if this has come up a million times already.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.