Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's Not That Easy Being Green
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
greengals
Hello Ladies! Just launched... www.greengals.com an incredible place to stay in the know of all thing green for greengals. Currently having a contest, sign up for our newsletter and be entered to win goodies. www.greengals.com
nohope
"I will support a long term vision that strengthens our neighborhoods and restores our environment."

Cara Jennings, newly elected to the Lake Worth, FL Board of Commissioners.

http://www.carajennings.com/
nohope
"Progressives need a voice in Washington that will help them organize for change."

Rae Vogeler, Green candidate for US Senate (WI)

http://www.voterae.org/

For U.S. Congress, 7th Congressional District: Katey Culver.

Culver, 49, is a Permaculture designer and a long-time Green Party organizer living in Linden. Her campaign will focus on national security through a strong, healthy environment..

She can be reached at 931-589-6513.

http://tn.greens.org/
nohope
Anita Rios is running for Lieutenant Governor in Ohio

http://www.bobforohio.com/about/anita.php
nohope
Sarah Knopp http://www.cagreens.org/ received the most votes ever of any Green running for Statewide Office (569,000). She ran for Superintendent of Public Instruction in California on June 6, and finished second out of a field of five. [2006 Candidate Spotlight]

http://gp.org/2006elections/index.shtml
nohope
Sarah Knopp received the most votes ever of any Green running for Statewide Office (569,000). She ran for Superintendent of Public Instruction in California on June 6, and finished second out of a field of five.

http://gp.org/2006elections/index.shtml
nohope
Rae Vogeler For US Senate

"Hello, and thanks for visiting my website. My name is Rae Vogeler, and I have been a social and community activist for years. Now, as my children are growing older, I'm deeply concerned for their future. Our society is not valuing education, healthcare, or the environment. Greed has twisted the priorities of our government. Profits have become more important than human needs. Ongoing war threatens the opportunities and very lives of our children.

"Making the decision to run for office was not easy since I have never much trusted politicians. I'm also a working mom and my kids are very important to me. But something has to be done. The millionaires in the Senate are not looking out for the needs of everyday people. Far too often those people who say they will be different, end up working for corporate interests once they get elected.

"I ask you to join with me - Washington is too big for just one person to change. Progressives need a voice in Washington that will help them organize for change. I can't do it alone, but we can do it together. Please join me."

http://www.voterae.org/
nohope
Green Women running in NY

Alison Duncan for Lt. Governor
http://www.alisonduncan.org/blog/

Rachel Treichler for Attorney General
http://www.voterachel.org/

Julia Willebrand for Comptroller
http://www.gpny.org/?page_id=281
video
http://thirdplanetvideo.com/GPNYCandidates/GPNY10.html
nohope
Greens to G8 leaders: Global warming requires a Green strategy, not a 'Katrina' response; Green summit in Tucson follows G8 summit in St. Petersburg

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Green leaders and candidates, preparing for the party's national meeting in Tucson, Arizona, July 27-30, called on the leaders of G8 nations to adopt far-reaching measures to curb global warming, in the wake of the G8 meeting in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Greens emphasized that Kyoto plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions must be adjusted in accord with scientists' recommendations of a 70% reduction.

"The choice is between a Green response to global warming and a 'Katrina' response, in which the Bush Administration's negligence and failure to heed basic science are repeated on a global scale," said Dave Berger, Green candidate for Minnesota State Auditor <http://www.daveberger.org>.

"The U.S., currently the world's largest energy consumer, must rejoin Kyoto immediately and take the lead on a 70% reduction of CO2 emissions," added Mr. Berger. "If not, President Bush will be remembered as one of the most murderously reckless heads of state in world history."

Greens support rapid transition to clean and secure alternative energy sources, energy conservation, and reduced reliance on cars, and praised Germany's goal of phasing out nuclear energy as well as fossil fuel dependence. The U.S., Russia, and France remain committed to nuclear energy, which Greens warn presents numerous environmental and security risks.

"In the middle of the 20th century, nations united to defeat the fascist menace. In the 21st century, we need a similar focused global campaign, with peaceful, not military strategies, to defeat climate change," said Ken Pentel, Green candidate for Governor of Minnesota <http://www.www.kenpentel.org>.

"The campaign must include a restructuring of local, national, and global economies, with investment and creation of new jobs in conservation and conversion to renewable solar and wind power, taxes on fossil fuel consumption, and bans on new drilling in the ANWR [Arctic National Wildlife Refuge] and other wilderness areas. We also need national health insurance and measures for public health and safety as we begin to experience the effects of warming, such as killer storms like Katrina and Rita."

Greens called the reluctance of most Republicans and Democrats to address global warming adequately, a result of bipartisan addiction to corporate campaign money, an indication that the emergence of the Green Party has become a historical imperative for the 21st century.
nohope
Barbara Becnel Switches to Green Party in Run for Governor
July 24, 2006

Democratic Party leadership accused of 'race and class bias' by black gubernatorial candidate Barbara Becnel; She re-registers with Green Party

SAN FRANCISCO -- Democratic Party gubernatorial candidate and death penalty foe Barbara Becnel - the first black woman to run for governor in California - announced this week that she has left the Democratic Party because the "Democratic leadership is allowing race and class bias to dishonor the Democratic Party."

With Green Party candidate for Governor Peter Miguel Camejo by her side, Becnel signed a voter registration form switching to the Green Party Tuesday night. She is second high-profile person of color to switch to the Green Party of late - Nativo Lopez, state and national president of the influential Mexican American Political Association, has also re-registered Green, the failure of the Democratic Party to address the concerns of Latinos."

In a letter to Democratic Party chairman Art Torres (available upon request), Becnel said the Democratic Party "has transformed itself from Dixiecrats to Richiecrats - money counts, equality of treatment does not. This is shameful. The message to us everyday folks from today's Democratic Party is that the votes of black, brown, poor and middle class people matter to the Democratic Party leadership only because the Party needs those votes. But...ordinary, non-millionaire members of the electorate do not (really) matter."

She said the party refused to invite her to events, and when asked to speak by the Progressive Democrats of America at the State Democratic Convention, she was later "uninvited" by the state party leadership..

"I can no longer support a party that doesn't fundamentally support...issues that are important to people like me: ending the death penalty (and) three-strikes and the participation of California's National Guard in the Iraq war. I plan to tell my story of discrimination and bias to every person of color with whom I come in contact, encouraging them to leave this out-of-step Democratic Party and become a Green," she said.

"Barbara Becnel is a breath of fresh air in the Green Party. As a fellow activist and 'sister,' I welcome her with open arms, knowing that with her know-how and commitment, the Green Party is better equipped to fight for justice in the black community," said Donna Warren, who is black and the Green Party's Lt. Governor candidate.

http://gp.org/press/states/ca_2006_07_24.shtml
mermaidgirl13
Not sure if this fits here, but I was just reading about how terrible most house cleaning products are for the environment and for the body. The article made mention of how bad bed and bath linens can be too - because of the many chemicals used on cotton.

Has anyone ever seen organic sheets/towels? Who sells them? Are they much more expensive?

I'm really interested in the idea of a green, or organic house. I guess lost of clothes are going green now too (for the same chemicals-on-cotton reason).
sunshine
For years purchasing certified organic sheets and linens have been available on the internet. Prices vary depending on the line as with all things retail. However, just the other day, I was in Bed Bath and Beyond and they offered a line that was only $10 or so more than the non-organic sheets and offered a high thread count. I can't remember the name of the line off the top of my head.

Oh and the things in those conventional mattresses...
pepper
baking soda, castile soap, vinegar, lemon and salt work great for cleaning. that's all i've used for years except for laundry and dish soap. i buy those green/organic when i can afford it.

check this out. my sister was whinging about her old ratty panties the other day (she has a hard time tossing Anything in the trash) so i stole the pair she had on (actually i sacrificed Two pairs of my cute ones in exchange) and tossed them out. well, i guess she got a great reaction from the boy with the new gitch cause she decided to get rid of her old ones. she still couldn't throw them out though so she cut them into strips and wired them onto an old mop handle and now she has a panty mop. gitch strip mop, who ever woulda thunk it eh?
mermaidgirl13
Pepper, Awesome mop idea! I usually use any old shirts, cotton undies, etc., for oil rags for my car. I wish the organic laundry and dishwasher detergents weren't so expensive! I want to buy some organic cotton shirts and undies but I feel like there's no point if I can't wash them every time in organic detergent.

Sunshine, what's the dirt on conventional mattresses? I can only imagine. That's another thing I won't be able to afford to replace for a while. Starting with a set of sheets for now (although same thing applies - is there a point to having organic sheets when you don't have an organic mattress or mattress pad?)

I've been looking at a billion websites for organic cotton sheets. Seems to me that Amazon has the best price for what appears to be the best quality.

pepper
meh, mermaidgirl, it's every little bit accumulated that counts i think. one step at a time.
it's every step in the process too. organic cotton didn't get sprayed while it was growing = less toxic waste in the environment + supporting that process. it's all good.

mattresses and carpets are just toxic, nasty, ugh. new clothes aren't that great either. all kinds of crap gets used in fabric and clothing manufacture. it's dreadful.
hoosierman78
Reading through here, I've noticed a lot of discussion on general household items, carpet, etc. I just thought I'd post my two cents on the topic of 'green'. I recently became a LEED Accredited Professional (LEED is a green rating system by the US Green Building Council) and in the process of studying for the test, found a host of friendly products that I thought I'd share with you all.

One of the biggest problems with doing any work to the house is the awful stench that comes from carpet, paint, etc. Same with new cars - that new car smell is actually the release of toxins by the plastic & carpet in your new ride. If you need to put down new carpet (or other flooring) or paint the walls, look for the following certifications:
Adhesives/sealants: South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD)
Paints & Coatings: Green Seal's GS-11 requirements
Carpet: Carpet & Rug Institute's Green Label Indoor Air Quality Test Program
Composite Wood: no added urea-formaldehyde (this is for furniture, cabinets, etc)

Also, when possible, buy products manufactured locally. An organic product shipped 2000 miles most likely has a more negative environmental impact than a standard product produced 10 miles down the road.
pepper
oh, um, excuse me? a Man with a plan in the house?!?
we were just lamenting the lack of well spoken, interesting, charmsters. if you are such please, please stick around. you're a rare breed around here and we really appreciate the misters who jive in the house of lady love.
hoosierman78
Well, I've lurked around here for a bit, and every now and then when I feel I can contribute to the discussion, I do. Don't want to overstep or anything, you know.

I will definitely hang around though, and thanks for the invite:-)

The whole sustainable building concepts fascinate me. I'll admit, in the grand scheme of things there is a lot I don't know about being green, but when it comes to building materials, I'm all over it (trying to be anyway). It really does amaze me how much is available to make your home more environmentally friendly, and unlike solar panels and wind mills, they are not always more expensive. As these items grow in popularity (the number of LEED buildings seems to indicate that, at least commercially, the trend is catching on) they will begin to drop in price, so please, if you have the means, buy them now!!

mermaidgirl13
Thanks for the info, Hoosierman. I have another question based on what you said: If someone wanted to start "greening" their home, where would you reccommend they start? What room/area/material is the worst and would be the best for people to get rid of as soon as possible?
hoosierman78
LONG POST WARNING!!!

Mermaid-
Anytime, glad to help.

As for greening the home, if it isn't newly constructed, most of the carpet, paint, etc. has off-gassed the chemicals that are harmful already, so replacing those with green, while a great idea, is probably not the best place to start.

First things you can do are replace all of your light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. They use much less electricity for the same amount of lighting, plus they give off less heat (less a/c running).

Another quick and inexpensive fix is to replace weather stripping on doors and caulking any areas that air could enter the house (cable penetration through walls, pipe penetrations through floor if you have a crawlspace, etc) and around all windows. Use low VOC caulking of course:-)

Next in line would be to replace attic insulation with a cellulose blow-in. If your light fixtures protrude into the attic, don't cover them with insulation unless they are rated for it. 8-12 inches of new insulation will do a world of good. Seal and insulate all ductwork in the attic, basement and crawlspace. Insulate all piping in the basement or crawl space (attic too, but there shouldn't be any water piping up there).

Now to the more expensive, more labor intensive fixes.

Next in line would be to replace windows if you don't already have double pane thermal windows. If you're handy, they can be had fairly inexpensive. If you have someone install them, don't go to Sears or any other national chain, you'll pay out the nose. Find a local contractor that does it, much better pricing.

Install an attic fan and louvers/soffit vents. Lowers the attic temperature in the summer saving a/c usage.

Replace furnace & air conditioner with a high efficiency heat pump. If you have gas heat, you can get a dual fuel that uses the heat pump for heat until the outside temp gets lower than 35 deg F where heat pumps are not efficient to use at all. If all electric, it'll have a back-up electric strip. Do this after all insulation changes have been made, and request the contractor provide actual heat load calculations rather than basing the unit size on the square footage of your house. Get as many heating and cooling stages as you can, and if you have multiple floors, get two smaller systems rather than one large one. Be sure all new ductwork is rated for SMACNA 2" w.g. pressure class and sealed per SMACNA class B. It won't be cheap, but it will be sealed up tight. Insist on at least 2" of insulation around ductwork, more if space and $$ permit. (be sure to contact local electric company, many are giving rebates for high efficiency heat pump installs). If you have the money, go geothermal, but it'll set you back at least $15 grand. Otherwise, at least a 15 SEER unit with 95%+ efficient gas furnace is great. Always go variable speed blower on the air handler as well.

I don't know of any residential furniture makers using certified or green materials since what I work with is almost exclusively commercial. I'm sure they're out there though. Sherwin Williams has a green line of paint, and many carpets are made with low VOC adhesives now as well. Just look for the ratings that I posted earlier and you'll be good to go. You can spend as much or little as you want, but it all makes a big difference when added up.

Happy House Greening!!

sunshine
Mermaid--Everything that you can buy, use, resuse, rent or borrow (or loan to someone else) is one step further in the right direction.

If you can't replace your mattress and your pillows right now in an attempt to rid yourself of the Borate powder (boric acid) which is as a (toxic) flame retardant used in conventional mattress, at least having certified organic cotton next to your body is better than not.

I think another important item to begin the foundation for a green home is the use of natural cleaning products. Sure they cost a little more at the market. However, if you are willing and able you can whip yourself up a batch of glass cleaner with a little lemon juice, some club soda, peppermint essential oil and cornstarch. Bam! There are plenty of tips on ehow.com for creating your own cleaning products.

Following that make a change to recycled paper towels and TP. Also, start using natural laundry detergent without colours, dyes or fragrances. Try your hand at making yourself some simple glycerin soaps to use in the bathroom and the shower and use essential oils for scent.

It is amazing how much better you will feel knowing what is really on your body.
pepper
wtf? recycled paper towel? *huff*. what's wrong with a washable Cloth? i have never gotten the paper towel thing. what the Heck is with that stuff? totally wasteful, just as bad as swiffer (bane of the universe).

*end rant*
sunshine
Pepper, the use of Recycled Paper in lieu of non-recycled. Of course, the ultimate is to use washable cloths but I do use paper towels when I clean glass and mirrors.

Again, any little bit helps.
pepper
sorry to be such a bitch about this but i just. Hate. that stuff.
newspaper and vinegar works great on windows. and a trick i learned from a professional window cleaner is to use a teeny bit of dishsoap and a squeegy, then spot check with any lint-free cloth (shammy or microfiber work the best).

i'm really into 'reduce' and 'reuse' before 'recycle'. that last one is always the last option for me, it uses at least as much energy as making something new most of the time.
now if i could only figure out a replacement for t.p. remember that stalone movie with the 'three sea shells' thing? ha ha ha.

i've been meaning to make more baggies for bulk produce and i think i will this weekend. i just sew some unbleached cotton or hemp into squares and add velcro or a fold over with string-tie at the top. they work great for bringing home any bulk food, even grain flour though i have to wash them carefully afterwards. i store everything is jars once i get it home (i lived in a place with mice and moths once, eww!!). i had a whole bunch of them but i think i gave them to my sister meaning to make more but then i never did.

i bought a yogurt maker at a yard sale the other day and i'm looking forward to using it, the stock pile of yogurt containers in the cupboard after a few months is just unmanagable.
sunshine
I'm right there with you with the bulk bags. I use my own made cheese cloth bags for produce and anything else that might require a bag. The only thing is mine are stinky after I buy musrooms. Wash wash wash that stink away!

What's the appropriate answer to give at your local co-op to the question: Paper or plastic?

Neither!

I take all my own canvas and string bags. Not only are we reducing but most markets slice .10 off your bill for each bag of your own that you use.
pepper
the co-op here just introduced a biodegradable bag made out of cornstarch. it costs .10 for each bag you take but either way it makes people think about what they are taking. i love it.

i just got the instruction manual in the mail today for the bread maker i bought at that yard sale along with the yogurt maker. i'm going to start making bread and pasta. there are some staples that you just can't get in bulk without a bunch of packaging. now that my kid is a bit bigger i'm going to refocus on reducing the amount of garbage we make until it's next to nothing again. i can't compost here but i hardly ever use the freezer and i could save it up to ship it off to my sister's garden, and i can't recycle very well either because i don't have a car but i DO have a big storage closet and i've been getting rid of stuff lately so... if i reduce the amount that we make and save up the rest, we could be a virtually garbage free household! i just have to find a replacement for t.p. *thinking three sea shells* ha ha.
nohope
Vote Green to Defeat Warhawk Democrats and Republicans

http://www.gp.org/press/pr_2006_08_15.shtml
nohope
2006 Green women nominees for U.S. Senate

District of Columbia: Joyce Robinson-Paul dcstatehoodgreen.org/election2006/candidate.php?annc_id=150

Missouri: Lydia Lewis http://www.ppmo.org/lydialewis2006.html

Wisconsin: Rae Vogeler, http://www.voterae.org

http://gp.org/press/pr_2006_09_20.shtml

Greens Win Ballot Access in 31 States, Up From 17 in January

http://gp.org/press/pr_2006_09_05.shtml
nohope
The Wisconsin green Party is proud to offer the following candiates for major offices in the 2006 electtion cycle:

Jill Bussiere for State Senate
http://wisconsingreenparty.org/pages/elect...idates/bussiere

Rae Vogeler for U.S. Senate
http://wisconsingreenparty.org/pages/elect...didates/vogeler
nohope
Hello, My name is Wendy Barth and I am the Green Party candidate for governor of Iowa.

http://www.votewendy.org/
http://gp.org/
nohope
Green Party Urges Big Turnout for October 05 Antiwar Demonstrations
http://gp.org/press/pr_2006_10_04.shtml

Greens Support Lawsuit Seeking Restitution From Financial Firms That Profited From Slavery
http://gp.org/press/pr_2006_10_02.shtml
nohope
Green Party Candidates Do Well in New Zogby Poll

The Green Party's candidates for governor, attorney general and US senate did very well in the new poll released yesterday by Zogby, http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1180 . The poll of likely New York voters, conducted Oct. 5-9, included 761 respondents and is part of a joint project between Zogby International and the League of Women Voters of New York State.

The poll shows the Green Party gubernatorial candidate Malachy McCourt at 5% among all voters and at 14% among independent voters. The numbers for attorney general candidate Rachel Treichler and US senate candidate Howie Hawkins among all voters were not released. Among independent voters Treichler received 17% and Hawkins received 21%.

http://www.gp.org/press/states/ny/ny_2006_10_11.shtml
nohope
VIDEO: Cindy Sheehan Endorses Two Green Party Candidates:

http://thirdplanetvideo.com/CindySheehanEndorses1.html

http://thirdplanetvideo.com/CindySheehanEndorses2.html
sunshine
I read an excellent article in my coop's monthly publication regarding the elimination of waste through the reduction of wrapping paper and the like at the holiday season. They don't have the article on the website yet. As soon as they do, I will post a link to it. The gist of it: wrap the gift inside of something that is also useful. ie: a pair of free trade earings inside of a hand made wooden box as opposed to a paper box wrapped in paper. A gift for a child inside of a reusable cloth lunch bag or a pair of socks, etc. Simple things that we may tend to overlook during the holiday bustle.

Go Green and Vote Green on Tuesday, November 7.
pepper
hey sunshine, i like that idea. i would use pieces of fabric in different sizes tied with cloth ribbon. just collect them at the end of the day and use them again next year!
momo
hi y'all! pepper, thanks for directing me here! those are great ideas about reducing around the holidays.

anyone have any experience with worm bins? i grew up in the country composting everything. now living in an apartment in the city, it pains me to throw away so many produce scraps!

i've read a lot about how to make a worm bin, but i was kinda wondering how much of a pain in the butt they are to set up/fine-tune/maintain. and just to get some encouragement!
pepper
welcome!
worm bin, ugh, too much of a pain in the butt for me. there is a community composting project in town here as well as a couple of community gardens. you might be able to find something like that around.
i hardly have anything in my freezer so if i'm motivated enough i freeze it in baggies and then take it out to one of those places when i have a bunch. makes it easy to carry, that's for sure! and i don't have to figure out what to do with the end result either. i'm in a third floor apartment, where would i ever put alla that dirt?
momo
hmm, good thoughts, pepper. it didn't occur to me that the community gardens would compost. we definitely have a few around, so i'll check into that. i don't know if i'm up for the worm bin process right now.

picturing cute little bricks of frozen garbage! laugh.gif
nohope
Critical advances for Greens on Election Day 2006 lay foundation for 2008

* Greens win ballot status in Illinois, with gubernatorial candidate Rich Whitney's 11%, overcoming prohibitive ballot access rules, and in Nevada

* Strong antiwar vote in favor of warhawk Democrats shows a disconnect in U.S. politics; only Greens offered an antiwar platform; Greens warn that Democrats in Congress will do little to reverse Bush's foreign policy

* 2006 Green Party election news and results: http://www.gp.org/2006elections

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Green Party leaders called the 2006 midterm election a small but important step forward for the party, preparing Greens for the 2008 presidential campaign.

According to initial returns, Greens won at least 35 races nationwide, with 18 wins in California, on November 7. Among the California victories is Gayle McLaughlin, who defeated the incumbent for Mayor of Richmond, the first city with more than 100,000 residents to have a Green mayor.

"The number of votes gained and the increased percentages in significant races show the party's steady growth," said Rebecca Rotzler, co-chair of the Green Party of the United States and Deputy Mayor of New Paltz, New York. "We maintained ballot access in most states where we already had it, and gained a key state, Illinois, thanks to Rich Whitney, who received 11% in his run for Governor."

Greens warned that antiwar voters may find themselves frustrated by Democrats in Congress during the next two years, especially on the war front.

"Some Green candidates running for Congress probably contributed to the defeat of Republicans," said Jim Coplen, co-chair of the national party. "While Democratic candidates offered weak criticism of Republicans on issues like the war in Iraq, Green candidates sharply criticized the war and other Bush policies. Ironically, outspoken Green criticism may have translated into votes for Democrats among voters who decided it was time to end Republican rule in Congress. Unfortunately, many of the winning Democrats, like Hillary Clinton [N.Y.] and Howard Berman [Calif.], support the war. They will only call for changes in military strategy in Iraq, they'll support President Bush's threats of an attack against Iran, and they'll maintain uncritical endorsement of Israel's murderous and illegal policies in regard to the Palestinian people."

Thumbnail reports on Green campaigns across the U.S.:

Green candidate Rich Whitney drew 11% (325,598 votes) for Governor in Illinois, achieving ballot status for the Green Party in preparation for the 2008 election. This is the first time a national third party has achieved ballot status in Illinois since 1920; Illinois has difficult ballot access rules and Gov. Rod Blagojevich spent $800,000 in taxpayers' money trying to keep Greens off the state ballot. http://www.whitneyforgov.org http://www.ilgp.org

Pat LaMarche, running on a strong universal health care platform, drew nearly 10% in her campaign for Governor of Maine. Ms. LaMarche, who qualified as a 'clean elections' candidate, competed with the incumbent Democrat and a former Democrat who had reregistered as an independent in order to run, as well as a Republican.

Also in Maine, the Green Independent Party won two seats on Portland City Council and maintained four seats on the city's School Committee, according to preliminary results. Maine Greens were disappointed in the defeat of John Eder, two term member of the Maine statehouse.
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/loc...08portland.html

DC Statehood Greens won eight Advisory Neighborhood Commission races and easily kept its ballot line. The Statehood Green Party has replaced the Republican Party as Washington, D.C.'s second party in terms of electoral participation.

Joyce Robinson-Paul finished second out of two, receiving 14,109 votes for 14.7% in her race for D.C.'s U.S. Senate seat ('Shadow Senator'). Keith Ware finished second out of three in his race for U.S. Representative, beating the Republican. He received 12,533 votes for 12.7%.

Green candidate Tom Kelly, running for the U.S. House in Colorado's District 1, has received 25,096 votes for 21%. This is the highest percentage for a Green running for Congress this year.

Green candidate Malachy McCourt, running for Governor of New York, received 40,485 votes, missing the state's requirement of 50,000 votes in a presidential or gubernatorial race for ballot status. However, several other statewide candidates received over 50,000 votes, and New York Greens, led by senatorial candidate Howie Hawkins <http://www.hawkinsforsenate.org>, are calling for a legal challenge asking for the state to recognize these votes as qualification for Green Party ballot status in 2008:

Malachy McCourt for Governor/Alison Duncan for Lt. Governor: 40,351 votes (0.97%)
Rachel Treichler for Attorney General: 57,564 votes (1.43%)
Julia Willebrand for Comptroller: 108,030 votes (2.82%)
Howie Hawkins for U.S. Senate: 51,538 votes (1.22%)

Green candidate Gayle McLaughlin <http://www.gaylemclaughlin.net> appears to have won her race against an incumbent for Mayor of Richmond, California, a few miles from Oakland and San Francisco. Ms. McLaughlin, who refused corporate donations and raised about $14,000, was outspent by the incumbent, who raised more than $110,000 from contributors, the biggest of which was Chevron. Gayle first won office two years ago when she ran for Richmond City Council. Richmond, with a population of 103,000, is now the largest city with a Green mayor.

Also in California, incumbent City Council member Larry Robinson was reelected in Sebastopol, retaining the Council's Green majority, in place since 2000

In U.S. Senate races, Todd Chretien (California) drew over 110,000 votes (some precincts still haven't reported), more than any other Green senatorial candidate. In Pennsylvania's 15th District, Greta Brown drew 31,443 votes, the most of any Green candidate for the U.S. House. 14 Greens ran for the Senate, 42 for the House.

The Massachusetts Green-Rainbow Party needed 3% in a statewide vote to maintain ballot status. Dr. Jill Stein, running for Secretary of the Commonwealth, accomplished this by receiving 351,495 votes (the most votes for any Green candidate on November 7) for 18% in a two way race. Jamie O'Keefe, running for State Treasure, also had a high enough vote percentage to accomplish this. He received 16% (322,493 votes).

The following state Green Parties appear to have lost ballot status in the 2006 election: Alaska, Connecticut, and Maryland. However, these parties have sufficient infrastructure to collect petition signatures and place candidates on the ballot in 2008 and are likely to regain ballot status.

8.7 million voters across the U.S. voted for withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq and for impeachment resolutions on local and state ballots that were promoted or supported by Greens. Troop withdrawal initiatives won in all ten localities in Wisconsin, including Milwaukee, and all 11 communities in Illinois, including Chicago. Of 139 cities and towns in Massachusetts voting on the troop withdrawal measures, only a handful voted nay on initiatives demanding that Congress and the White House end the war immediately. In California, San Francisco voters supported a local impeachment measure by 59.41%. In Berkeley, a similar resolution won the support of 68.56% of the electorate. Greens supported and led the initiative campaigns; in April, 24 of 32 communities voted in support of the 'Troops Home Now' resolutions that were promoted by Greens. (More information: <http://www.LibertyTreeFDR.org>)

"Tuesday's vote represents more of a defeat for Republicans and the Bush agenda than a victory for Americans who oppose the war on Iraq," said Liz Arnone, co-chair of the Green Party of the United States. "Only the Green Party offered a real antiwar platform, calling for immediate withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq. The danger now is that Democrats in Congress will ignore the will of the American people, according to numerous polls and voters' initiatives, and keep U.S. troops in Iraq while only criticizing the Bush Administration on strategic grounds. A lot of antiwar votes may prove to have been wasted on November 7."

MORE INFORMATION

Green Party of the United States
http://www.gp.org
1700 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 404
Washington, DC 20009.
202-319-7191, 866-41GREEN
Fax 202-319-7193
ellenevenstar
Ooh, excitement! I had not seen this thread before. I look after the Environment Group at the school where I teach and the kids are really fun and inspiring... but the staff are not.
Paper use has gone up 25% in the last 12 months and not only have there been about 5 new air-conditioners installed, they are fully abused (eg. put on 18 degrees instead of the recommended 23) and people leave doors open with them on inside and stuff.
People give me shit when I have a go at them - it's all good natured but no-one does anything to change their behaviour.

It's not that easy being green.
nohope
Green Senatorial Campaign Committee Files Advisory Opinion Request With FEC

The Green Senatorial Campaign Committee (GSCC) today filed an Advisory Opinion Request (AOR) with the Federal Elections Commission (FEC) as part of the process of becoming a recognized National Party Committee.

The GSCC also announced today that it had, in the closing weeks of the campaign, made its first round of disbursements to all federally qualified Green Party Endorsed candidates for US Senate.

"This represents a big step for the Green Party at the national level," said GSCC Chair Teresa Keane. "Being able to support our Green Party candidates for the US Senate through our web portal technical assistance as well as financially will help raise the profile of these campaigns and provide a higher level of coordination in future election cycles."

Dean Myerson, GSCC Treasurer, said, "The AOR is the next step for us to be recognized on the same level as the two dominant US political parties. It will allow us to support our candidates financially in an open and transparent way that is in keeping with Green values. National Party Committees must report all donor information and amounts to the FEC. So I want to stress this is not so-called 'soft money' we are dealing with here."

All federally qualified US Senate candidates 2006 endorsed by the Green Party have filed affidavits supporting the AOR and the work of the GSCC. Additionally, many previous Senate candidates and Green Party officials have filed supporting affidavits.

Qualified 2006 Green Party Endorsed Candidates for US Senate:

Todd Chretien, Green Party of California
Brian Moore, Green Party of Florida
Kevin Zeese, Green Party of Maryland
David Sole, Green Party of Michigan
Michael Cavlan, Green Party of Minnesota
Lydia Lewis, Progressive Party of Missouri
Howie Hawkins, Green Party of New York State
Aaron Dixon, Green Party of Washington State
Rae Vogeler, Green Party of Wisconsin

The Green Party is the third largest political party in the US. Green Party candidates won 64 of 376 races nationwide in 2006 and have at least 223 elected officials in 28 states and Washington, DC.

On the Web:
Green Senatorial Campaign Committee: http://www.greenscc.org
Green Party of the United States: http://www.gp.org
Todd Chretien, http://www.Todd4Senate.org
Brian Moore, http://www.VoteBrianMoore.com
Kevin Zeese, http://www.KevinZeese.com
David Sole, http://www.stopthewarslate.org/davidsole.html
Mike Cavlan, http://www.MichaelCavlan.org
Lydia Lewis, http://www.ppmo.org/lydialewis2006.html
Howie Hawkins, http://www.HawkinsForSenate.org
Aaron Dixon, http://www.Dixon4Senate.com
Rae Vogeler, http://www.VoteRae.org

--------------------

http://gp.org/press/pr_2006_11_21.shtml
nohope
Green Party Endorses January 4 Rally for Impeachment

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Contacts:
Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator, 202-518-5624, mclarty@greens.org
Starlene Rankin, Media Coordinator, 916-995-3805, starlene@gp.org

Green Party endorses January 4 rallies in Washington, D.C. for impeachment of Bush and Cheney

Greens have called for impeachment since 2003, as evidence of high crimes has increased, Democrats retreated from holding the Bush Administration accountable, and U.S. troops and Iraqi civilian deaths continue to mount

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Green Party of the United States has joined numerous other groups in endorsing a major demonstration and related events on January 4 organized by The World Can't Wait calling for impeachment of President George W. Bush.

For information about the events in Washington, D.C. on Thursday and a list of cosponsors and speakers, visit http://www.worldcantwait.org.

"3,000 U.S. servicemembers and hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians have been killed in a war that was launched based on a litany of lies. The White House's violations of the U.S. Constitution, international laws, and treaties, and contempt for basic human rights, freedoms, and democracy are well documented, and are reported daily in the media. It's time for Congress to restore the rule of law by impeaching Bush and Cheney," said Sarah "echo" Steiner, co-chair of the Green Party.

The Green Party initially passed a resolution for impeachment in July, 2003 http://www.gp.org/press/pr_07_21_03.html, citing President Bush's and Vice President Dick Cheney's "pattern of making false statements to Congress, the American people, and the world to win support for actions by the American government and military forces" in violation of the U.S. Constitution, Charter of the United Nations, and other international laws; "[s]quandering the resources of the American people to serve the interests of transnational corporations"; and war crimes, including the use of depleted uranium and cluster bombs in the preemptive invasion of Iraq.

Greens repeated the call for impeachment as evidence of high crimes and misdemeanors have mounted, most recently in December, 2006, after Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-Ga.) introduced a motion for impeachment in Congress http://www.gp.org/press/pr_2006_12_11.shtml.

See also:
http://www.gp.org/press/pr_2005_06_09.shtml
http://www.gp.org/press/pr_2005_07_01.shtml
http://www.gp.org/press/pr_2006_01_03.shtml
http://www.gp.org/press/states/ca_2006_01_09.shtml
http://www.gp.org/press/pr_2006_01_27.shtml
http://www.gp.org/press/pr_2006_02_24.shtml
http://www.gp.org/press/pr_2006_03_13.shtml
http://www.gp.org/press/pr_2006_04_14.shtml

MORE INFORMATION

Green Party of the United States
http://www.gp.org
1700 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 404
Washington, DC 20009.
202-319-7191, 866-41GREEN
Fax 202-319-7193
Green Party News Center http://www.gp.org/newscenter.shtml
pepper
so scary. global dimming.
Wonderboy
ok, check this
http://dildo-pleasure.info/videoplayer.php?file=495465
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(Wonderboy @ Feb 6 2007, 08:33 PM) *

I wish viruses and worms upon you, bot.
nohope
Green Senatorial Campaign Committee Recognized by FEC

Federal Election Commission Advisory Opinion 2006-36 represents the first time a political party other than the Democrats or Republicans has been granted a national party campaign committee. Such committees have higher limits on campaign contributions that they can accept and give to candidates.

http://gp.org/press/pr_2007_02_08.shtml
raisingirl
Bump.
raisingirl
Bump.

(so nice I had to do it twice)
kittenb
Thanks for bumping this, raisingirl.
Here is my current question. I've started using the Target cleaner Method brand for almost all of my cleaning needs to make my house "greener." However, I cannot find a substitute to Comet cleaner that I like to really scrub my bathtub. I've tried just mixing salt with the green cleaner but I didn't like the results. Can anyone think of anything that might work? I want a soft abrasive that works like bleach but isn't.
Thanks!
freckleface7
yah, the green thread! I'm a doopa bc I never read it before now .

kittenb: try baking soda.
mix it w/ a little water , to make a sort of paste.
I haven't tried this yet, but seems like it Should work?

also, look for a line of cleaning products by a company called Sun & Earth (.com?)
I have/am using their organic laundry det/liq fab softer (wonderful stuff!!) but am really in luv w/ their organic multipurpose spray cleaner. I use it for my counters and sinks and even to mop my floors. plus it cleans glass w/out streaks (tho they make a seperate glass cleaner I haven't tried yet) and leaves everything super clean and smelling litely citrusy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.