Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Television: The Drug of the Nation(s)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
roseviolet
Sassy, I'm also really excited about Glee! I saw the pilot on-line this summer & loved it. It starts showing on Fox on September 9th. The only problem with Glee is the big "Gleek" campaign they've got going on right now (Glee + Geek = Gleek). Now I don't know about the rest of you, but based on my childhood experience, I would not consider a "gleek" to be a good thing. Then again, maybe that's part of the point?

Other things I'm watching
Mad Men
Top Gear
Being Human
Project Runway
and maybe Top Chef, but I'm not totally sure yet. We'll see if I like any of the contestants.

I also like to watch How I Met Your Mother whenever I get the chance, but more often than not I catch up with it on-line. I need to just go ahead and get a DVR already. It would make life a bit easier.

auralpoison
Re: Top Chef Las Vegas. Jen Z? Seitan?! You used motherfucking seitan in your *first* TC dish in the kitchen at Wolfgang Puck's Cut Steakhouse? Huh?! Properly excuted, I don't doubt that it would have been a fine dish. Got nothin' against the seitan. But that thing looked like a battered shoe & about as tasty as such. The move was bold, but also stupid.
roseviolet
Totally agree, AP. Never before has it been so clear to me who was going to be kicked off of Top Chef. Even Sheff agreed and he 1) had never watched TC before and 2) had never heard of seitan before. Granted, I think what really killed her was the simple fact that the food she made did not taste good and did not look appetizing. When she admitted that she'd made this exact dish numerous times and still thought it was good, all she did was dig her grave even deeper.

That deep-fried steak guy is one lucky bastard.
stargazer
I'm looking forward to these shows: Grey's Anatomy, Project Runway, Top Chef, Ugly Betty, House, and I'm sure there are other shows I'm missing. I will say that I'm glad that other channels have a rotating TV show listings so I didn't feel as deprived from watching good television during the summer. I'm also going to watch Glee as it looks like a fun show. I wish I got into 30 rock and the Office. I'm sure I would love those shows, but, I think it is one of those things you have to get into early which I never did.
auralpoison
Ladies & germs . . . Kim "Wig Mistress of RHoA" Zolciak's first single:

"Tardy for the Party"

Why didn't this come out in the spring? This would sooooo have been my summer party jam!
sassygrrl
Damn straight AP! Well, we still have two weeks left!

I don't like the Gleek campaign just b/c of the what the word "gleek" means. Yeah, I got picked on as well in my childhood. It looks like such a cute show though. I watched the ending of the pilot too many times.

What the fuck was up with the seitan woman? I get that she was trying to be different, but it just seemed yucky. I'm stoked that 2 guys from Atlanta are in Top Chef. Apparently, Richard Blais and Eli know each other very well. In Blais's blog he said Eli was his best man in his wedding. I've been to both restaurants, but not to Blais's. He does a Krispy Kreme milkshake that is out of this world from what I hear. Mmmmm... donuts.

I wish I had gotten into Big Bang Theory. One of the guys reminds me of Mcgeek.

auralpoison
New Kids In the Hall! I wonder who will pick it up for US broadcast?

Y'know, where I come from a "gleek" is what happens when you build up some saliva & sort of shoot it out of your mouth in a thin, but far reaching stream. It's like spitting, but not really.

ETA: WTF is up with USA & these BN formula shows? I tried to like, Royal Pains, I did. I want to support people from my past. But it's just BN but with a "burned" doctor. Now they've been advertising a new one called White Collar that is BN about a con artist hired to help the FBI nab other con artists. "They're not bad guys, they made their choices. Now they're kicking ass in their respective fast-paced, 'burned' worlds helping people."
BitchEatMyShoe
I'm already excited about Mad Men, and Project Runway. Both of those show had really good season starters. But I'm looking forward to Nip/Tuck (final season), It's Always Sunny..., and the series premiere of Community (primarily because I love Joel McHale) and if I had Showtime, I would look forward to Dexter as well.
auralpoison
Okay, I already done bitched about USA shows . . . but this was weird this morning. I don't much care for Psych. I tried, it failed. But this morning, I'm up early, a long chat with the bf, a little wake & bake . . . & Shawn Spencer says, "Man's all hopped up on cactus juice." Which as far as I know, is a FNM ref if you say it as, "I'm all hopped up on cactus juice, just so as I could nevermind." Am I cray cray? It could be exhaustion.
missladyj
anybody watching this season of Top Chef in Vegas?
crazzycat
No...are there any Supernatural fans here?
kari
missladyj- I'm watching, but I'm behind. Last night I just watched the bachelor/bachelorette challenge. I hate to say it, but the ladies do seem less experienced than the men.
epinephrine
Holy sweet creamy Jesus. A Kids in the Hall reunion. I think I'm gonna puke with joy.

"Zero plus zero equals FAG!"
sassygrrl
"I'm squishing your face!!" Heh. I love The Kids in the Hall. What an awesome show...
I'm looking so forward to Glee tonight.
I've been watching Top Chef missladyj. I haven't been very impressed with it lately.
ketto
Ahem, it's actually, "I'm Crushing your face". I know because I have it on a t-shirt. tongue.gif My boy told me about the reunion thing, count me in as super excited.
epinephrine
Guys, guys, c'mon. It's "I'm crushing your head!"

I know because thirty Helens agree with me!
auralpoison
WTF?! "I'm crushing your head!" Always has been, always will be.

Y'know, if we do this for a month, we live here rent free!

Head Crusher v. Face Pincher!
ketto
Oh cod, I'm ashamed!
Divala
I'm watching Top Chef, too. I think the first few eliminations went as they should. I've got my favorites as well as a couple I can't stand (one of which is that Mike guy who's so completely full of himself and reeks of machismo in a bad way). It's good to have Tom and Gail back, and even Padma. I didn't like that Kelly Choi from the Masters version at all.
auralpoison
I know they keep Mike around precisely because he is a smug, arrogant prick, but that doesn't keep me from wanting to push him into an industrial meat grinder every week in hopes that he will never return.
roseviolet
Glee starts tonight! WEE!
freckleface7
we watched the season premier of GLEE & there were parts of it I was actually embarrased to be watching with frecklette!
def a no-go w us. 1/2 thru, frecklette looked over at me & said " we're not gonna watch this one again huh."
smart kid!
I am disappointed bc I thought it looked good.
auralpoison
There were parts of Glee I was embarrassed to be watching *alone* in my dark living room.

roseviolet
The first episode - the one that was available on-line - was definitely better. There were some good moments, though, so I'm going to give it another shot. It'll probably take a little bit to get used to the whole musical format. There were certainly some cringe-worthy moments, but the thing I found most embarrassing was the bad dubbing job. Whoever is working the sound on that show needs to be shot! The actors are all doing their own singing, so there's no excuse for it.
sassygrrl
Yeah, the dubbing was horrid. I liked parts of it so I'm going to give it another shot. The pilot was so good though!
candycane_girl
freck, just wondering, how old is frecklette? I'm guessing that with Glee it's the kind of thing that she could probably watch alone but not embarrassed. I was mortified the one time my dad decided to watch Buffy with me and it was the episode when Xander's substitute teacher was trying to seduce him because she was actually a giant preying mantis that wanted to eat him. Nothing like watching sexy tv with dad!
epinephrine
Off-topic, but when I was 13 I went to see Being John Malkovitch with my mom. Neither of us had any idea what we were in for. On top of the generally wacky themes and Cameron Diaz's sexual awakening and fascination with Malkovitch's metaphysical "vagina," the graphic sex scene (with John Malkovitch, no less!) was excruciatingly embarrassing for both of us. After the movie, my mom made me sit and wait till everyone was gone before we could leave so nobody would see "the woman who took her 13-year-old daughter to see all that sex!" She still cringes when she talks about it, but it's still one of my favourite movies.
crazyoldcatlady
i saw a history of violence with my dad. the whole "violently fucking on the stairs" scene? yeah. not something you want to watch with your dad.

re-rail: i'm obsessed with "divine design" with candice olsen on hgtv. too bad she only does houses near and around toronto sad.gif
roseviolet
Candice Olson kicks serious ass. And I loooooove Chico the lighting guy! I just want to pinch his cheeks and cuddle him. It's crazy.
freckleface7
ccg: frecklette is 15. she doesn't date yet so as much as I've discussed sex w/ her, that whole 'premature erruption' thing can still wait awhile. tho the show did make me aware that it's something I ought to explain to her.
in time.
candycane_girl
Eh, she might know a lot more than you think. I was 15 when I lost my virginity. Not saying that frecklette would be like me at all, everyone develops at different speeds but even before that I knew quite a bit about sex.

Anyway, back on topic, I can't wait for 30 Rock. Tonight I watched a repeat of the episode that spoofs Amadeus with Tracy Morgan in the Mozart role and Judah Friedlander as Salieri. It's hilarious.
freckleface7
I am totally, completely & absurdly addicted to Sons of Anarchy tues on FX.
it may even knock AMT out of #1 for my cracktv spot.
bikers for models. ehhehe laugh.gif
missladyj
hubsand is a huge Sons of Anarchy fan.

I have been watching top chef, there is some real talent. I like the chick who can't pronounce ceviche. she's pretty bad ass.
freckleface7
as I have abandoned Grey's.. last night I returned to my original Thursday night gig: Survivor.

last night was this season's premier (Samoa) & I'm glad I did.
there are some really intriguing people this season.. notably the short, tubby bald man that wears a hat & is "officially" a Katrina Fireman/survivor who lost his dog in the storm but in reality says he is a Houston multimillionare who owns an oil company & isn't in this for the money but to prove it Can be won easily.
he's already done dastardly things like empty every one's canteen's while they were asleep, burn a guy's socks and formed "secret lliances" w/ the 'stupid young girls' and several others and the one young woman who spoke truthfully to him & said she didn't trust him got voted out first at his string pulling.
... he's an interesting guy. got a weird sort of freak magnatism to him that is compelling (+ pretty eyes) & I'm thinking this may be the best season of it yet.
lananans
Anyone else interested in that show Mercy? I'm not sure if it'll be either pretty good, or very bad.
snow white
u know, since i am a nurse i was all excited about all these new nurse dramas, but now it's like i've been making it a point to avoid them. they're just not my flavor. to "ER"-ish. and i hate "ER". actually i kinda hate all medical dramas, which is probably kinda weird. but i think they're totally unrealistic. at least from where i'm sitting.
kari
Did anyone watch the Emmys last night? I caught about the last hour. I didn't really have any intention of watching, but they were significantly more entertaining than in past years. Neil Patrick Harris hosted, and I really like him. I was thrilled about Brian Cranston's 2nd consecutive win. Ditto for Mad Men & 30 Rock.
sassygrrl
QUOTE(kari @ Sep 21 2009, 12:32 PM) *
Did anyone watch the Emmys last night? I caught about the last hour. I didn't really have any intention of watching, but they were significantly more entertaining than in past years. Neil Patrick Harris hosted, and I really like him. I was thrilled about Brian Cranston's 2nd consecutive win. Ditto for Mad Men & 30 Rock.

I watched them. They were more entertaining this year. NPH did a great job hosting I thought. There was also a very short Dr Horrible gag! I really dug that Kristin Chenowith won for Pushing Daisies. They also ran pretty tight, and didn't drag on for a million hours.

roseviolet
I watched all but the last hour (had to watch Mad Men). I agree that it was better. Definitely more entertaining. Plus it seemed to move more quickly. I really like that they broke the awards up into the 3 genres. I think that helped it feel more organized. When they moved from Comedy to Reality, I genuinely felt like we'd made progress. It made me realize that one of the reasons why award shows seem to drag on forever is because they feel so disjointed & random. The genres made it feel like there was a definite beginning, middle, and end.

And, of course, there was NPH! He was great. His performance of the opening number was really impressive!
crazyoldcatlady
i remember when i was younger i would get so excited for the emmys (and the oscars) and get pissed off if i had a test the next day which meant i couldn't watch them (NERD!)

nowadays, i just catch the recap online.

can i just say that the red head from mad men looked *gorgeous* in that blue dress?
girltrouble
ooooo. i think you are on to something rose. it did feel more streamlined.
i accidentally watched the emmys (i usually avoid award shows like the plague, but watch parts of them "accidentally.") and loved it. esp. the skit that sassy mentioned.
anna k
I liked the premiere of Flash Forward last night. It has an interesting premise (everyone in the world blacks out for two minutes at the same time, sees their future in six months, chaos and disarray when they come to), some sci-fi, and seems like it could be pretty good, with a talented cast.

freckleface, I watched some of Sons of Anarchy, and really liked it. Good setting, and Ron Perlman and Katey Sagal both have a hard, lived-in look that fits in well as biker people. I don't have cable anymore, so I'll watch it on HULU.
sybarite
I liked FlashForward, although I'm not fond enough of Joseph Fiennes to like him as the lead. Much more interested in Jack Davenport's character.

I'm cautiously excited though--like the premise, like the cast, like the pacing and the story. It's all good so far...
designermedusa
I watched Flash Forward as well, and I really think it has a chance of being really good. Syb, I agree about Jack Davenport, I was so happy to see him in this show. I really liked him in Swingtown, but I don't know if I've seen him in anything else.

I liked the first episode of The Good Wife, but I kind of have a feeling it's going to bore me soon.

I also watched Modern Family, it was funny, but I give it three episodes before it gets cancelled.

Enjoyed the season premiere of Fringe (haven't watched the second episode yet) and I am liking Gossip Girl. The thing about Gossip Girl is that I don't really like Nate or Serena so I skip some of their scenes.

I stopped watching Project Runway after my favorite was given the boot this week. I'm also enjoying The Biggest Loser, Mad Men and looking forward to Dexter.
sybarite
DM Jack Davenport arguably made his name in Britain in a bitchy but entertaining 90s TV series, This Life (which is worth a look in itself). He was also awesome in a cameo of sorts in The Talented Mr Ripley (why yes, I am a fan).

I started watching the new Melrose Place. Don't judge me... blink.gif
kari
I taped Modern Family, haven't watched it yet. It looks like it could be a fun show.

I am loving Glee!

Is anyone watching the new HBO show Bored to Death w/ Jason Schwartzman? It's pretty good so far.
roseviolet
Since Top Chef is a rerun, I'm watching the Witches of Eastwick show. It's a bit crap, but the thing that is freaking me out the most is that they are obviously using many of the sets from Gilmore Girls. So far I think I have spotted Lorelai's house, Luke's diner (which is now an art gallery), Miss Patty's dance studio (which is now the Eastwick Historical Society), and possibly the outside of Sookie's house. As an extra bonus, one of the leading female characters drives a green jeep. If only the writing were similar to GG. dry.gif

Eastwick, I know Star's Hollow. Star's Hollow was a good friend of mine. And YOU, Eastwick, are NO Star's Hollow!
sassygrrl
QUOTE(roseviolet @ Oct 1 2009, 01:45 AM) *
Since Top Chef is a rerun, I'm watching the Witches of Eastwick show. It's a bit crap, but the thing that is freaking me out the most is that they are obviously using many of the sets from Gilmore Girls. So far I think I have spotted Lorelai's house, Luke's diner (which is now an art gallery), Miss Patty's dance studio (which is now the Eastwick Historical Society), and possibly the outside of Sookie's house. As an extra bonus, one of the leading female characters drives a green jeep. If only the writing were similar to GG. dry.gif

Eastwick, I know Star's Hollow. Star's Hollow was a good friend of mine. And YOU, Eastwick, are NO Star's Hollow!

Rose, I noticed that too. The show is o-kay(I'm just so used to Jack Nicholson playing the devil), but it feels like Witches of Star's Hollow because they used one of my favorite favorite sets. I almost expect one of the leads from GG to pop around the corner. I also noticed one of the female leads from the Eastwick movie. I don't think the show will last.

girltrouble
syb... i watch melrose too. you have to have some trash tv in your diet, and vh1 is way too trashy right now...
auralpoison
Um, okay this is really morbid. Do we know what the shooting schedule is like for the Real Housewives of Atlanta? Cos Kandi's man AJ died last night in some parking lot of a strip club shenanigans. Somebody clipped him in the head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.