Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Television: The Drug of the Nation(s)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
candycane_girl
I've heard that Flight of the Concords show is funny, I just never bothered watching it.

Jezebel, that's hilarious. I have to admit, I'll always have a soft spot for Scott Baio. I might even have a shirt hiding in my closet that has a picture of his face and the word "loverboy" across the front.
girltrouble
yeah... hilarous lyrics, even when they rap:
"They call me the hip-hopapotamus I got flows that glow like phosphorus popin' off the top of this esophagus I'm not a water-dwelling mammal from Africa thats moved to the metropolis to be taught how to breakdance where did you get preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve tell you that? What's he got to do with it? What kind of rapping name is Steve? STEVE!!!!"
candycane_girl
That sounds pretty funny. I forgot to mention that I'm almost at the end of season 2 of Rescue Me. I can't get over this show! And dammit, Denis Leary isn't that good looking but every time he's being mr. asshole fireman, I'm turned on!
Jezebel
Well, after the Scott Baio thing I guess this was inevitable--Corey Haim and Corey Feldman are back laugh.gif

The Two Coreys
girltrouble
gak! it's lost boys redux!
kiss_the_fiddler
I'm proud of myself. I sent a photo to the local tv news and they aired it! It was a picture of the sunset in the smoke against the mountains.

kittenb
WooHoo! kissthefidler!
kari
Is anyone watching Mad Men on AMC? I just saw an episode last night and am now hooked. I think it is a really interesting show.
bunnyb
Has anyone been watching Damages? It's such a kick ass, thrilling, addictive programme; it's similar to Murder One and reminscent of Grisham's The Firm.

I also watched the un-aired pilots of Pushing Daisies (cute and quirky and very likable ) and Lipstick Jungle (written by Candace Bushnell - it's no Sex and the City but has potential. I'm going to watch it once it starts before I make my mind up fully.)

I am also catching up with Dexter, which is dark and gripping; I'm addicted to this as much as I am to Damages.
Jezebel
Has anyone watched The Pickup Artist on VH1? With the "master pickup artist" who calls himself Mystery and dresses like a cross between Criss Angel, Prince, and a goth drag queen trying to teach clueless guys how to pick up women. It might be a bigger trainwreck than even Rock of Love, but I can't help watching. A couple of the guys are annoying, but most of them actually seem just sweet and clueless and I feel kinda bad for them.

I'll develop better taste in TV when the summer ends, I swear wink.gif
octobersky
*Reluctantly raises hand* I have been watching it too jezebel, it's like the warmer the weather the lower my entertainment IQ. "Goth drag queen" lol! I have to say Mystery is creepy and if I saw him coming at me in a bar I'd duck into the ladies room until the coast was clear or have a really good time putting one over on him. You are right though, the guys on the show seem really sweet and clueless.

VH1's programing is such a trainwreck as of late I place full blame on "The Surreal Life" for starting the whole mess. Pretty soon they will have to change their name to "Helping washed up D and F list celebrities get laid on national television" or something like that.

That said can't wait for the return of "The Riches", "Ugly Betty" and "The Office"
sassygrrl
Yes, I too watch "The Pick Up Artist." His hats annoy me, and he does dress like a bad goth drag queen. My boyfriend was like "Why would anyone take advice from him?" But, the guys seem really sweet.

I really like Mad Men. I also can't wait for "The Riches".

I wish I had Showtime-- it seems like Weeds and David Duchonvy's new show are really good. And from what I know Dexter kicks ass.

designermedusa
I love Californication, and David Duchovny is really funny.
girltrouble
has anyone else been watching Jekyll on bbc america? i think it might just be my favorite show or atleast tied with battlestar and heroes (and even rescue me). it's whip-smart with a super freaking funny pitch-black sense of humor.... and every episode more clever than the last... and the season finale washed the awful taste of Hex from my mouth. here's hoping season 2 will be just as good...

i'm also super hyped about torchwood too!
snow white
QUOTE(sassygrrl @ Aug 21 2007, 06:12 PM) *
Yes, I too watch "The Pick Up Artist." His hats annoy me, and he does dress like a bad goth drag queen. My boyfriend was like "Why would anyone take advice from him?" But, the guys seem really sweet.

i can't watch that show for more than 30 seconds with out feeling so embarrassed that i finally have to change the channel. there's something so sad and pathetic about how ernestly and hard they try. if it were me i'd say here's a bottle of vodka, drink until you're charming...

and that goth drag queen who's their teacher, he has a whole cult of guys who take his advice as the word of god. if you're looking to be totally freaked out and fasinated at the same time check out this "don juan" forum dedicated to his "method"...

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/

(seriously, i'd like to see if anyone felt as creeped out as i did when i did a little browse through)
Lilith
QUOTE(snow white @ Sep 8 2007, 03:44 PM) *
i can't watch that show for more than 30 seconds with out feeling so embarrassed that i finally have to change the channel. there's something so sad and pathetic about how ernestly and hard they try. if it were me i'd say here's a bottle of vodka, drink until you're charming...

and that goth drag queen who's their teacher, he has a whole cult of guys who take his advice as the word of god. if you're looking to be totally freaked out and fasinated at the same time check out this "don juan" forum dedicated to his "method"...

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/

(seriously, i'd like to see if anyone felt as creeped out as i did when i did a little browse through)

I used to be a member there. unsure.gif It was actually entertaining sometimes. But for the most part it was guys calling me an attention whore. laugh.gif
stargazer
i caught the first epi for the HBO show "tell me you love me." it's very interesting look at the lives of 3 couples and how they use/don't use sex in their relationships. not a very diverse cast. some of the plotlines for the 3 couples is lame, but for some reason i was sucked in. did anyone else catch the show?
snow white
lilith, no matter how weird i find their approach to social interaction i did get sucked into the speedo episode and found it pretty cute. (uh-oh...) lol. but you'd think they'd love to have girl on their board, or maby not if you're finding out all their perciousss sssecretsss rolleyes.gif

anyway, my guilty pleasure has got to be Rock of Love. i've even gone so far as to scheldule work hours when a new episode airs (i don't have cable at home, so i clock in the tv watching at work). looks like i'll be missing tonights episode! sad.gif

i've also been obsessed with those 'inside state prison' documantaries, where they follow prisoners around. i think it's on the discovery channel. i also love those HBO documentaries which follow serious druggies around, i saw the one which followed a couple of crack/herion addicts from NYC. anyone else seen either of these, they're usually on late at night.
Jezebel
stargazer, I felt pretty much the same way you did about Tell Me You Love Me. I got sucked in and watched the whole episode even though I'm not totally sold on the whitebread cast and all of the plotlines. I'll probably watch for a few more weeks to see where it goes. I also wondered how many people were watching the first ep just to see the "explicit and graphic and groundbreaking" sex scenes that HBO made such a big deal about.

And snow white, I'm with you on random HBO documentaries, I'll watch just about anything they put out. Back in college one of my classes got to meet Marlene Sanders--really cool woman who has broken a lot of ground for women in journalism. (Marlene Sanders) And what were we all most excited to hear about? Her stories about being the narrator for the HBO series Autopsy laugh.gif
sassygrrl
I caught the first episode as well. I dig that Tim Dekay (my Carnivale crush) is on there. I'll she where it goes, but I wish they would have had a black couple or something.

I also really love HBO documentaries.
kittenb
For some reason I watched Gossip Girl last night. I doubt there will be a second viewing.
sassygrrl
Isn't that from the guy that did the O.C.?
snow white
!!!! kittenb i love your qoute thing. "i'm already 30% less predictable." i just saw that one last nite.
kittenb
Thanks. It made me laugh so hard I had to steal it right away. I over-identify w/Pam to a frightening degree.
sassygrrl
Did anyone watch Reaper? I liked it. Stan Wise was very good.
kittenb
I saw Reaper and was very happy with it. It is really funny! And the Devil is pretty awesome. I also likes Chuck. So happy with the popularity of geeks (pardon me, Nerds) on television.
jami
New TV is making me a happy girl. distractions needed.
I watched, and will continue to do so some of the new shows.
Love Californiacation. Duchovny is so great in this role. Did watch 'tell me that you love me', and really liked it, but now it's sad. Love Chuck. Love Reaper. comic-book fun. What about Journeyman, ladies? I really liked it. the whole 'Quantum Leap' feel and all
and yes, tonight I'll give Bionic Woman a try. the special effects may make it work.

bunnyb
Reaper was enjoyable but nothing less could be expected of Kevin Smith. I liked Sock, him and Sam have a good dynamic and are like Jay and Silent Bob except that they aren't stoned and Sock isn't silent.
kari
What channel is Reaper on? I have not heard of that one. What about Californication?

I just caught a few minutes of Tell Me You Love Me. I am interested to see it again.

so......they announced last night that Project Runway is starting on November 14. Woo hoo!

LilPinkElectricChair
It's really hard this fall, because I'm already becoming addicted to shows like Chuck and Reaper, let's hope they don't pull the plug on those two yet!
snow white
omg, i am addicted to the show Rescue Mediums on the We channel. Two alcoholic english ladies trevelling around the states to cure what goes 'bump in the night'? yes, please!

i'm a total sucker for ghost stories
bunnyb
Did anyone watch Moonlight? I only watched it because Jason Dohring is in it (I need my Logan Echolls fix!) but I really liked it. Similar to Angel in a lot of basic elements(vampire private detective in LA!) but very different. The lead, who plays Mick St John, is also a hottie and I like Shannyn Sossamon.
beck
I have a question - why do I find America's Next Top Model such compelling viewing? My normal TV schedule may stretch to Newsnight (I'm UK-based), a bit of CSI, and Heroes, but if Top Model is on I just can't switch over! I just don't get it - although I do have a a thing for girls, model types really don't do it for me, so it's not the eye candy. I have absolutely no interest in modelling, the fashion industry, or reality TV normally. In fact, I don't even approve of the whole basis of the programme and I hate that modelling is an aspirational thing for these girls rather than getting an education that will last their whole life. But I still watch it!

I can't figure if it's the format they use that sucks you in, or that I'm rooting for the underdog to beat the shallow bitchy ones, the hilarious 'challenges' they get set and their diva-ish behaviour, or the way they go on and on about their work ethic while moaning at the most minor inconveniences.

Any fellow sufferers that can shed some light?
bunnyb
Did anyone watch Pushing Daisies? Please someone say yes as I want to be able to discuss it! I watched the pilot about a month and a half ago and LOVED it; love the genre and fairy tale elements.

I need to cut down my viewing I think as have many programmes on the go just now as well as catching up on series on dvd (Ugly Betty, the cancelled Wonderfalls, trying to get Freaks and Geeks, have Californication, The Wire and The Riches to watch...) Anyway, my viewing this season consists of Grey's Anatomy, Pushing Daisies, Prison Break, Dexter, Damages, Reaper, Moonlight and Private Practice and with the boy I watch Heroes, House, Bones, Weeds and Boston Legal ... phew!
kittenb
Pushing Daisies is currently sitting in my VCR waiting to be viewed. I'll let you know what I think next week.

I hear you on the too much too watch problem. Currently, on Mondays, I tape Chuck and watch Aliens in America, on Tuesdays it's Bones and Reaper, Wednesdays it's Dirty Sexy Money, and then comes the Thursday nightmare of My Name Is Earl, The Office, 30 Rock, Scrubs, Ugly Betty, and Supernatural. I am considering watching Moonlight (although the 15 minutes I caught last week did not look great) but I can only do so much! I have to leave my house at some point.

I get really weird about shows that I don't watch being cancelled. Like if I never see another Caveman/Carpoolers night again, I'll be very happy but I'll be sad when it's cancelled b/c the actors will lose their jobs. I still feel bad about Studio 60.
bunnyb
I'm sad about Studio 60 too but most of the actors on that show won't want for work. Last season was not a good one for shows I like being cancelled as lost Veronica Mars too and I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms sad.gif.

kitten, let me know if you do watch Moonlight as I'm interested in what you think about the Angel comparisons; other than core plot elements and hot principal character I don't think they are anything alike. It was predictable for the most part and had components from a lot of other shows (not just Angel) but I did like it and would watch for the hotties alone.

Best line this so far week is from Reaper: "I feel like a giant condom." laugh.gif
LilPinkElectricChair
bunny b-I really like pushing daisies, the art direction alone was worth watching the show. I have this sense of doom though that it will get canceled. So I'm vowing to watch it whenever I can!
pinkpoodle
I watched Pushing Daisies and I thought it was good, but I don't think it will make it as a series. It would be better as a movie. It definitely has a Tim Burton feel to it. Beetlejuice, anyone?

When I heard about the cavemen show, I immediately thought it would be cancelled. I don't think it'll last very long at all. Although, I never watched it. Still, it seems like a series that will become extinct very quicky!! (A pun that I'm sure has been overused at this point.)
bunnyb
It reminded me of Beetlejuice too, poodle! Also The Waitress which I'd just seen. The genre seems to be popular just now with Penelope (Christina Ricci) about to be released too. Nothing is safe from cancellation and this type of show never does well (the guy created Wonderfalls and look how that turned out) but I think it will have a cult following. The TV blogs I've read it (the main one being Watch with Kristen on the E! website) are seriously promoting it, in the hope to save it already.
roseviolet
The aesthetic of Pushing Daisies reminded me a lot of Tim Burton movies, too (especially Big Fish). But more than anything, it reminded me of Amelie. Lots of red & green. I even noticed that a song that was playing in the background in the aunt's house was a song featured in Amelie. It was a cute show, but I'm afraid it's too twee for most people.
kittenb
I finally watched Pushing Dasies last night and I love it. So weird and funny! It feels like it should be a Showtime show. I also watched Moonlight and , well, sorry Bunnyb, but it is so lame! I might watch it if it is on but I will not go out of my way for it. I kind of hope it gets cancelled soon so they bring back Jericho fast. Mic the vampire just has none of the...intrigue that I like in my vamps. And while I like Jason Dorhing and I am happy that he is working, his character is like Logan the Vampire. Every second I expected him to start twirling his hands and mooning over some blonde girl.
designermedusa
I agree that there are too many good tv shows on right now, I am actually going to cancel my NetFlix. This is what I am currently watching: Tell Me You Love Me (love it), Dexter (love it), Californication (loved it at first, it's starting to go down hill), The Biggest Loser (I fast forward through most of it), America's Next top Model (I fast forward through most of it), Pushing Daisies (I recorded it, but I know I'm going to love it), Dirty Sexy Money (like it, but Peter Krause is still Nate Fisher), Bionic Woman (love it), 30 Rock (love it), The Office (love it) and Hard Ball and Countdown for political news.

I am waiting for Project Runway and Work Out to come back on. Also there is a show on Logo that my sister said I should watch.
girltrouble
i discovered the pushing up daisies guy is the guy who created wonderfalls....i lurve the wonderfalls. sigh. you guys are watching all these good shows and me without my cable. i get good reception of exactly no channels. argh!!!!

hey, do any of the uk busties know when they are coming out with the 2nd season of jekyll?
roseviolet
GirlTrouble, Pushing Daisies is on ABC. You can watch episodes on their website. smile.gif
Before clicking on this link, turn down the volume on your computer. Then immediately push the pause button on the player in the middle of the screen! Yes, IMMEDIATLEY! For some reason, the player is showing some clips from the 1st episode.
http://abc.go.com/primetime/pushingdaisies/index
There's a Pushing Daisies comic on the website, too ... kinda like what NBC has done with Heroes.
mavin
I am definitely feeling the too much to watch thing this season! I religiously watch House and CSI and the Office. Ok, so now, I have missed some House to watch Reaper which is funny! And I haven't seen any CSI bc the Office is on at the same time, too, and much more enjoyable lately.

I really wanted to watch Pushing Up Daisies and Moonlight but my hubby is such a TV snob, it is soooo hard to get any viewing time in without having to feel guilty that I am wasting my brain, becoming a stupid zombie or exposing our 2 year old to too much TV. *rolls eyes* Just easier to not bother some days.

Also, I forgot about Moonlight completely and missed the first eps. DOH! Altho I was worried. Anyone watch that show and Forever Knight? Forever Knight was about a vampire cop... and I loved it. Soooo... curious if they are similar at all. I saw some similarities already when I just watched the 5 minutes before Ze Love turned the TV. (He had promised our daughter she could watch her cartoon)
roseviolet
Mavin, I understand completely! There are a handful of shows that I watch alone, usually on-line, because I know Sheff finds them to be far too silly or stupid (namely, Ugly Betty, Project Runway, ANTM). I think Pushing Daisies may be a little too colorful for him. The only show we're both addicted to is Heroes.

I'm annoyed with the CW because they don't have Reaper available to watch on their website yet. Grr. I may have to hunt it down on YouTube. I watched the first episode of Aliens in America because I heard a good review of it on NPR. I thought it was kinda cute. I might watch it a few more times & see if it survives. I also tried to watch Gossip Girl but got really bored after 30 minutes. I want that time back, dammit.
pinkpoodle
Interesting observation about the reds and greens, rose!! So true!! The parts that really reminded me of Beetlejuice were the diminutive shots of the aunts' Victorian house--almost like the mini house model in the movie. I'll probably watch Pushing Daisies again just to give it a chance. If anything, for the visual aspects. I like dark, quirky stuff.

I should really try to catch up on Ugly Betty. I'm a My Name is Earl fan though. Again, it has a lot to do with the visuals for me. I find the visual and pop culture references in MNIE extremely entertaining.
yemaya
QUOTE(mavin @ Oct 6 2007, 09:10 PM) *
Anyone watch that show and Forever Knight? Forever Knight was about a vampire cop... and I loved it.

Oh yeah….I watched that growing up. It would come on late at night. I loved that older Vampire that was always trying to tempt him, as well as Knights sultry old time girlfriend. Skanky—the chipper, totally clueless nuts and bolts cop and the Pathologist—the lady brain who loved him and tried to heal his Vampirism. Pretty moody Canadian fare.

Another show I loved watching growing up—and late at night-- Friday the Thirteenth---with Mancuso’s weird introductory theme music—about the curios shop, the cousins, uncle Lewis and cursed objects.

re-lurk.
kittenb
I loved, loved, loved! Friday the 13th: The Series. I wish they would put that out on DVD or something.
yemaya
Awesome. I thought I was a weirdo for loving that kooky show growing up. It scared me, but I was there at 1:00am, watching it on Saturday like clockwork. Not sure if it will ever be released on DVD. Also liked watching Freddy’s Nightmares.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.