Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Television: The Drug of the Nation(s)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
roseviolet
CCGirl, that is hilarious!!!!!

My cable system finally got Bravo at the beginning of the year, so I'm catching up a bit on the shows there just to see what all the fuss is about. The only show I find at all appealing is Top Chef. Everyone keeps saying this season is crap, so I feel I've really missed out by missing the past seasons. Is there a particular season that is considered the very best? Maybe even good enough to watch again? You know, like Season 2 of Project Runway?
snow white
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Jan 25 2009, 09:19 PM) *
I just wanted to pop in because of something that I found quite amusing. I am watching the Duggar wedding special on TLC (they're the family with 18 kids!) and then it goes to commercial and says "Sponsored by Plan B". How fitting.

that just made my day! lol the first time i saw a preveiw for the dugger wedding that's all i talked about for the rest of the day. do ppl like these really exsist? and surprisingly, even though the future daughter in law dugger is, i suppose, the patron saint of virginal, she oddly enough looks like a trailer park skank to me. am i alone here? vaguely springer-esk.

I also like real housewives of nyc better too. those women would run right over the oc'ers. i hope they don't renew the atlanta one, that was a blur of a catfight. it kinda reinforced the sterotype that all black women are overly aggressive and antagonistic, but that's just my opinion... i didn't get that show. well, to be fair, oc reinforces the sterotype that all LA women are blonde bimbos, so there ya go.
ketto
I always thought Bravo in the states was just the American version of Bravo in Canada...but it sounds like they're totally different.

I hate to admit it, but I totally got sucked into the first episode of Mama's Boys. I found it horrifyingly interesting because they had such a wide array of women (although all still gorgeous except for one nerd...who was still very attractive IMO) and a racist mother. It was like watching a horrible car wreck.
hiddenpoet
roseviolet i've been watching top chef from season one so here's my take on it.
there has been the 'villain" character in the first two seasons. the Tiffany from one was a bitch everyone wanted to see go down, Marcel from two was obviously hated by his competitors and Hung from three was seen by the viewers as arrogant though not a villain, and Lisa was someone who was too negative to like. this season there are simply several very annoying characters. the editing is also to blame here. the first four episodes were all about Adrianne. (sp?)
the talent has dropped significantly through the seasons while the titles and background experience gets more and more distinguished. the winner of season one Harold has been the only winner to open his own restaurant. most of the competitors in this season already have thier own place. what's there to really look forward to?
the innovation of food has fled the kitchen - new american is the only style in this season. boring!
things that past competitors were eliminated for are okay as seasons go on. i remember that richard guy my partner and his best friend were rooting for be excused for the failures his leadership caused and remain to compete in the final but in the seasons before that others in charge as the leader were eliminated due for the exact same mistakes.
it's just not as much about the food anymore i suppose is the real problem.
girltrouble
oh same here ketto. i totally had a crush on the nerd girl. but yeah i was uninterested till they had the racist thing come in on mama's boy and then i could not change the channel, move, or do anything but try in vain to pick my chin off the floor. that woman was a monster.
bunnyb
Is anybody watching United States of Tara with Toni Collette and John Corbett?
designermedusa
bunnyb, I watched the first two episodes of United States of Tara, and so far I don't really like it. The son is hilarious though. I'm going to give it a few more episodes.
kittenb
I must confess to watching half an hour of Momma's Boys. I was both repelled and fascinated. And then the remote was taken away from me on the grounds that I clearly could not be trusted with it that night.
girltrouble
*snickers* god, kitty, i need someone like that around my place full time. rock of love bus? are you kidding me? i need to swear off.
snow white
oh man, i just can't bring myself to watch rock of love bus. where do they find those girls??? it's like a bus full of daisy delahoya's. isn't one enough?

anyone watch john and kate plus 8? i love that show, it's kinda like fish tank but with little kids. like, meditative. i just watched the one where they posed for the cover of "good housekeeping" for the purpose of (according to kate) "to raise awareness about our family". um, why? i really don't even know what kind of family would invite national tv into their homes but to each their own i guess. anyone else wonder about this?
girltrouble
lol... i'll watch rock of love bus, but i draw the line at jon & kate + 8. that show, and the other big family show makes my blood boil, and to paraphase rose, "it makes me reeeeeeeallllly stabby."

ketto
I don't really get the appeal of shows like Jon and Kate +8 either. I saw a bit of one where the mom was talking about how the kids have the camera's in their home all the time since they were 2. That seems pretty crazy to me. I wonder what they'll all think of it in a few years when they reach their teens.
bunnyb
QUOTE(designermedusa @ Jan 27 2009, 08:35 PM) *
bunnyb, I watched the first two episodes of United States of Tara, and so far I don't really like it. The son is hilarious though. I'm going to give it a few more episodes.

That's disappointing to read. I haven't watched it yet but became excited when heard who the leads were. I'll still give it a go.
girltrouble
my hide just chaps at those couples who have sextuplets then exploit them for all they are worth. i practically eat my hat when i see them on the today show or whatever getting sponsors etc. it's a personal pet peeve, i just think of all the resources they swallow up, and people send them all this free stuff. it's just irresponsible. i don't mean to put down your show, snow, it just makes my blood boil...

i agree bunny i love toni colette, i had the biggest crush on her in muriel's wedding. i was hoping the show would be good, although i was curious about the diablo cody writing..... :/
lola rojo
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Jan 27 2009, 08:10 AM) *
Is anybody watching United States of Tara with Toni Collette and John Corbett?

I'm digging it. you can't judge a show from the first ep, they have to get all that exposition out of the way.

But last night, I really appreciated what they're trying to do, or maybe it's just the way I digested it. Tara's "others" are more adept at managing her family than she is and the decision for Tara to go off her meds was the entire family's decision. I think the series will get more and more interesting. The kids seem to be decent actors and John Corbett's laid back dude is always welcome as far as I'm concerned.
snow white
girltrouble, what gets me is all the travelling they do! my god, they have 6 toddlers and 2 little girls. the last episode i watched they were all packed into a tiny airplane, which was of course delayed about an hour. you could see the frustration and irritation of the other passengers on board. i mean, come on... do kids that age really need to be citizens of the world? they won't even remember, only have a case of serious burn out at 13. john and kate are really good parents but have a MAJOR case of the 'goes and dos'.
crinoline
I personally love John and Kate Plus 8. I realize how it could be perceived as exploitative, but it doesn't come across that way to me.
I would not personally want TV cameras in my home, but if you know their background the Gosselins were really camera-happy before they ever had kids. They aren't actually there everyday, it's more of a weekly arrangement.

I like the show because it is pretty meditative, like snow said. I also come from a big family, and I enjoy all of the noise and chaos while I'm sitting in my empty apartment. Another thing that I like about it is that even though they are in a high pressure extremely stressful environment with basically a preschool class 24/7, the parents do not use any corporal punishment. (you would think that's a given, but I was shocked by how prevalent corporal punishment still is today when I took my child development classes) I think they both have excellent parenting skills.

and...it just makes me all warm and fuzzy...I admit...

BUT the "17 kids and counting" Duggar family sets my teeth on edge!
They keep their kids entirely separate from mainstream American culture. It seems to me that "Jim-Bob" is trying to literally breed his own cult that follows his specific (and exceedingly narrow) beliefs. The children are home-schooled and aren't allowed to listen to music (outside of church) or watch TV (ironic, since they have their own TV show), I don't believe that college is in their daughters' future, either. And the mother just always looks so exhausted. It may be because their type of religion is offensive to me, but I just can't stand them.
snow white
the duggers are scary, thats for sure. not to mention they're on the circus freak channel as a side show for the mainstream america they're trying so hard to keep out of their lives. how does that make sense?

i'm watching sober house right now. LA is supposed to be the center of the universe for glam but it looks sad and pathetic to me. and mary cary's boyfriend is total douche.
girltrouble
omg, snow TOTAL douche. i know him from somewhere, but i can't remember where? and why was tiny being such a dick? i used to think he was a'ight, but now.... tiny ist der poopenstein! i like the woman who runs sober house tho. she seems sweet.
designermedusa
I started watching season one of Gossip Girl from NetFlix, and I'm not suprised to say that I like it.
lola rojo
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Jan 29 2009, 01:53 PM) *
i like the woman who runs sober house tho. she seems sweet.

she seems like a crybaby...i would think someone in charge or recovering addicts would need a thicker skin.
snow white
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Jan 29 2009, 01:53 PM) *
omg, snow TOTAL douche. i know him from somewhere, but i can't remember where?

i know! the last time i was watching that, i'm like, i know him... eh, you know one total douche you know 'em all
kari
Who watched Top Chef last night? I was seriously disappointed in the judges for who they chose as the winner.
girltrouble
well, lola i do think she could crack the whip a bit more. but then, when i'm in charge i'm a total rule nazi.

is anyone else annoyed by the product placement "ads" during chuck? i want to like that show but when they have the subway sandwich thing.... my remote finger gets twitchy....

i just can't watch nip/tuck anymore. it's just silly. i used to love the show, but i really think the respect they had for the characters, patients, and the audience has just evaporated. i'm done.

i am loving damages tho. the plot is so convoluted, but every week somehow you're like, "a-ha!" because they show you a bit more....
bunnyb
QUOTE(kari @ Feb 5 2009, 02:58 PM) *
Who watched Top Chef last night? I was seriously disappointed in the judges for who they chose as the winner.

kari, I've just watched it and agree with you. Stefan is the easy pick. Yes his technique and presentation are almost flawless but there's no excitement there and he purposefully chose the easiest dish to make and recreate. He doesn't seem to challenge himself. Without a doubt I think he'll win. The judges love him, love his food and I don't think there is anybody else left who can realistically challenge him unless he makes a mistake, and that isn't a deserved win.

I am incredibly disappointed that Jaime is out of the competition; she was the only one whose food I really liked (apart from Fabio on occasion). She deserved to go home for the dish but I wish they would get rid of Leah already because she's made too many mistakes over the last four episodes and she GAVE UP. Jaime didn't make too many mistakes over the show and whenever she did she recognised them. Ugh. I'm rooting for Fabio, Josea or Carla to really wow.

gt, I'm still saving Damages up as I can't cope with the cliffhangers! Glad to hear the good review.

missladyj
I agree Kari, so lame!!! but my girl Carla is still kickin it! yeah for her. way to rock out on the French food. Now I wanna go to New York and eat, and eat and eat. The whole time i am watching the show I am telling hubby, We gotta go back to New York and EAT!!!
kari
Miss LadyJ, Carla got robbed this week! She should have won, esp. since Ripert was so impressed she figured the sauce out. All Stefan did was boil a lobster, make some sauce & put some asparagus down. Give me a break. I was disappointed.

I thought Jamie would make it to the final 3.

Carla seems to be steppin' it up lately.

Leah needs to go. Even the way she describes her food is boring...."Uh, I just fried some fish, it's just on some grits, uh...." Very annoying.
kittenb
Okay, going off on a tangent today. Today pollystyrene posted something very funny on Facebook that made me think about how some TV jokes have just stayed in my head forever. So, needing a laugh tonight, I decided to look up one of my favorite Drew Carey episodes on YouTube. So here it is if anyone else needs a laugh:

The Devil takes a virgin bride.

The Drew Carey Strippers!
snow white
QUOTE(kari @ Feb 6 2009, 09:56 AM) *
Leah needs to go. Even the way she describes her food is boring...."Uh, I just fried some fish, it's just on some grits, uh...." Very annoying.

ditto. how can a person appear to be so bored by their own damn self? jamie deserved to stay and i don't why leah is still there.
stargazer
Regarding Top Chef, Jamie was robbed! Leah should've gone home. Leah totally played the dumb girl in explaining her loss of interest and not knowing how to make the dish AND she got away with it. Jamie, while she has admitted mistakes, has been more confident in her dishes.

I was so happy Carla was in the top 3! It would be so cool if she made it into the top 3.
girltrouble
I probably shouldn't admit this in public, but not only do I watch Rock of Love, my friend is going to be (spoiler!) one of the wildcards they bring in in a few weeks. You have no idea how excited I am about this, and as far as I know, she was not involved in any hooch/cooch (girltrouble, this made me snort) incidents.

ok, llamas, today was the new girl/wildcard episode on rock of luff, and i sooo want to know who your friend is...although i already feel sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, so sorry for them.

so far no more hoochie coochie.

gah! WTF is with natasha's make-up?
stargazer
gt, are you watching the show with ray j on vh1? i was thinking, "what world do i live in where ray j is a mack daddy?" then i realized, "what world do i live in where i am watching this shit?"

truth be told, i was mesmerized when that one woman dropped it like its hot on the concrete.
girltrouble
star, i tried watching it, accidentally, and i came across that same problem, i call it the "ray j paradox." then i realized you need only be a c or d list star to get one of these series. i am thinking once andy dick graduates from sober house he will procure his own show called "i love dick!" i get the image of him figuring out who is going to get voted off by snorting coke off some comedy groupie's belly. *shudders*

i honestly don't know what is wrong with me. i am lucky that i can't abide the flavor of love spin-offs/batchelor rip-offs (chance of love, i love new york, shot at love) but i can't help myself with rock of love, or i love money, teen idol, or sober house (although i LOATHE dr. drew, who i think is a HACK). i think it's the only form of masochism i have. at least i know i'm kinky, i guess that's the first step to getting help.

while we are on the topic:
the onion: are reality shows setting unrealistic standards for skanks?

ut! gotta go... repeats of "wife swap!"
stargazer
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Feb 9 2009, 04:47 PM) *
i am thinking once andy dick graduates from sober house he will procure his own show called "i love dick!" i get the image of him figuring out who is going to get voted off by snorting coke off some comedy groupie's belly. *shudders*

omg. laugh.gif i love sober house.
llamas
Gt, just to add a bit of confusion to the thread, my friend on ROL is also a Jamie! (the skinny black-haired one.)
kittenb
X-Psoted in the Yo Ladies thread with an additional GOD YOU SUCK thrown in for good measure:

I am only phobic of reality shows that pose as theraputic when, what they probably will end up doing is having some Cotton Ball Man chase me around while Dr. Drew stands back explaining why my fear might turn to murderous rage any second now.

Don't spam us with your stupid ads please. We are not that kind of site.
kari
GT, I know, Natasha's make up on ROL was crazy! What do you think about their assertion about her being a male? That Brittney gal is such a bitch. She looked awful in the elimination ceremony.
stargazer
Has anyone watched Top Chef this week? I'm SOOOOOOO glad Leah went home. Yahoo!! Very happy that Carla did a good job this round also. Even though, I like Stefan, I'm glad he didn't do well this time around. Fabio just cracks me up. It was good to see him finally win a competition. So, who does everyone think will be in the top 3?

I forgot to add to my list of TV shows...RuPaul's Drag Race. Soooooo good.
bunnyb
I did, star! Yes, glad that Leah finally went home! I was really hoping Stefan would for being so cocky about the salmon and then over-cooking it. Happy Carla has come into her own and really like her; her bubbly personality is infectious. I hope either Carla or Fabio wins and I think they'll make it to final with Stefan.

I am looking forward to seeing Dollhouse but am trying to avoid anything written about in online.
roseviolet
Bah ... I knew there was something I forgot on Wednesday night! I guess I'll have to catch a Rerun of Top Chef next week.

I, too, am looking forward to Dollhouse. Here's hoping it doesn't suck!
stargazer
I watched Dollhouse with mama who is a big fan of all things Joss Wheldon. What did ya'll think?
crazyoldcatlady
star, there's some dollhouse discussion going on over the buffy/all things whedon thread....
lola rojo
Did anyone catch East Bound and Down yet? I think it debuted on HBO Sunday night. I loffed and loffed and loffed, it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV. If you've seen the film Foot Fist Way, you'll probs really dig it.

Top Chef....YAY Carla! I'm so glad she made it. I hope, hope, hope she kicks Stefan's arrogant Swedish ass.

Rock of Love......I've kinda fallen in love with Ashley, she's got a great sense of humor. When she was talking about throwing up and shitting her pants like it was a badge of honor....fantastic. I find it difficult to look at her, but she's really snarky and quick with a snappy retort.
girltrouble
ashley is funny, but i loathe her 'working her neck'. she makes me want to pull a kelkello and stab her in the neck. but the show would be dull without her... i just wonder how much of it is the writers...
llamas
Yup, Ashley is indeed written/edited entertainingly, at least...when the season is over and she's allowed to talk about it, I'll have to ask Jamie exactly what actually went on!
girltrouble
hi yamas! (spanish pronounciation)
stargazer
Top Chef

I was SOOOOOOOOO happy for Carla. How great for her! As much as I like Stefan's cockiness, I was glad he did not do well in this competition. I was actually hoping Hosea would go home.

So, who does everyone think will win? I'm not so sure who the clear winner is so far. Carla has really surprised me lately. I would be so happy if she won this season.

Ok. Now, I gotta fo finish watching Grey's.
bunnyb
Top Chef: I'm totally there now on the Carla love. I was really pleased for her and glad she did well.

Pleased too that Jeff had a chance to redeem himself.

Stefan should have gone home, not Fabio.

I'm rooting for Carla to win. It would eb great to see another woman win, she's producing great dishes and I desperately don't want Stefan to win.

eta: I also desperately want to go to New Orleans and eat in Emerill's Delmonico. Mmmm, the latest episode was food porn for me.
hiddenpoet
Top Chef:
between carla stefan and josiah, i want Carla to win. i can't stand that josiah - this isn't top prep cook. say what you want about stefan's attitude, at least he can be innovative. fabio went home because he failed to meet a requirement of the contest, make a creole dish.

i've been to delmonico in las vegas and though everyone else raved and loved it i couldn't eat a single thing because i don't eat meat. granted it is a steakhouse so i didn't expect much for myself. i fail to see why a steakhouse is that upscale in the first place. it's just some steaks and potatoes. we aren't even talking black angus here let alone kobe.
stargazer
Hilarious Gawker Article on Recent Top Chef Epi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.