Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Television: The Drug of the Nation(s)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
designermedusa
I bet you two are right about Bethanny just trying to get more screen time for her and Alex.

I read that BBC article, and then I wondered why they didn't show Bethanny on the show. I hope they realize that article is showing them in a bad light, but they probably don't care because it's free publicity.
eyelet
I watched RHoNY tonight and think all of the characters had a likable night (except for Kelly of course). However, I have concluded that the way Kelly acts is due to the fact that she just isn't very smart, so she's not worth the controversy. She has some good bullying skills but can't make a clear point to save her life. I still say she won't be back in the next season. Just not enough to work with there.

I feel kinda shallow for saying Alex and Simon were scary-looking in an earlier post. So no, they don't have movie-star faces, but they are bright and a very close couple. I find that more interesting to watch than these weird scenes of Kelly's nonsensical behavior.
snow white
silex's appartment was actually awesome! good for them.

i didn't even finish watching the cat fight betwenn B and kelly, it was sad to watch.

but the highlight of the show was B's big blind date. wow, homegirl does NOT KNOW HOW TO FLIRT. at all. i mean, that guy was very sweet and a real gentleman, i was in love just watching. he was cute, low-key and smart. deffinatly worth it to can the hard ass routine, but she had to constantly yell in his face that she's a ball-buster and make other stupid remarks. she has the charm of a garbage disposer. i'm totally sick of her.

this show is so boring now, can't wait for the finale.
Divala
Is anyone going to watch "The Fashion Show" on Bravo tonight? I'm going to give it a chance, although the reviews haven't been great. I want to see Fern Mallis in action.
roseviolet
Divala, I watched it. I'm intrigued by the little changes in the concept. I just hope the designs get better. There was a hell of a lot of ugly on that catwalk tonight.
girltrouble
i'm just glad my stunt double (kelly roland) is doing something useful. now if i can just get her hair and clothing budget....

all and all, the project runway formula was getting pretty stale anyways. we knew all the challenges, the recycled materials, the plant/veggie challenge...yawn. i hate to say it, but with the exception of missing tim gunn, i think it's a very good thing... and no heidi!!!! whoooo!

but i do miss hearing the dulcet sturm and durrang (or lack there of) of mr. gunn. he just seemed like such a sweetheart.
Divala
I didn't think it was as bad as the reviews it got. The extra challenge at the beginning is a really good idea. I hope they do that every week. The stage set was pretty cool, too.

Isaac Mizrahi is no Tim Gunn or Michael Kors. And I hate how he keeps putting his hand on his face; he does it every time he's on TV, whether it was his own show on Oxygen or when he had a cameo on SATC. It bothers me.

I wish they had more Fern Mallis. There's just something about her that really resonates with me. She'd be a great mentor, if they'd let her. But this isn't PR, this is TFS.

Kelly Rowland does nothing for me. She's not terrible, she just doesn't have any zaz. But a little bland is better than Heidi's "ooh, that looks expensive!"

I want to love Merlin, but that "that's male domination, baby!" comment he made really left a bad taste in my mouth, and then he denied it when it was quoted back to him by the pissy girl.

At least the right one went home in the end.

All in all, it wasn't PR, but it wasn't bad. It'll just take a little getting used to.
missladyj
I read the bad reviews too. But watched yesterday and was interested. I thought the whole " you're hanging by a thread" was a little stilted and too cheesey. Kelly Rowland is boring but I love me some Mizrahi

I will watch it again.
girltrouble
awww be nice to my doppleganger...

did anyone else watch this week's breaking bad? that was a great episode. i loved the transitions from walt to skyler. particularlly the screw. i laughed out loud. but the best part was the doppelgangers complete with ski hat, baldness and an rv.

you can watch episodes of the classic 60's series, the prisoner, on amc.com

i'm also eager to see this online show, zack 16.

here is the premise:
Zack Johnson is a 16 year-old high school boy who wakes up one day with a serious gender identity problem. Not because of some wacky turn of events that force him into a dress, or because any existential realization. No, Zack simply wakes up with what he modestly describes as "girl parts". And to make matters worse, it's that time of the month.
in the review i took the quote from they talk about how the gender issues are looked at intellegently not as a stock 'wacky' sitcom set up.

it's about time.
girltrouble
i don't know if anyone round these parts watches medium. i've always liked the show, it's well made, with strong, solid writing, and good acting. but, i have to say, this season has been extrodinarily good. five seasons in, and they are still coming up with ways to deepen the show. all and all i think it's probably one of the most under rated shows on tv. the last couple of eps have been amazing. it's nice to be continually impressed by a network show.
ketto
I'm usually right with you GT, but I think Medium has been awful this year. Increasingly awful. I LOVE Patricia Arquette and I want to love Medium but it's sooooo formulaic for the most part. Show begins...some filler...first dream where something is made extremely obvious but Allison NEVER seems pick up on it...more filler...second dream that reveals even more....more filler and Allison still hasn't figured out the obvious story line...third dream revealing a little more....more filler, and usually a 4th dream to tell you the whole story in case you haven't already figured it out on your own. And this isn't new to this season, but I hate how the cop and her boss only seem to have one tone and expression to speak in and how they often don't believe what she's saying even though she's (eventually) right every single episode. Gah!

More of a rant than I intended, I was just talking about this with my mom last night though. tongue.gif
girltrouble
i will give you that. the on going skepticism on the cops part seem to be a bit silly.

and while i totally concede your point for the last few seasons, this season has had some reworking and twists (the time travel ep, the second ep, last night with the body transfer) are more complicated than the usual formula you mentioned. although, it's hard to change that formula, but it's not so unusual-- most shows have to hit a mark before each commercial (look at any genre tv show, doctor, cop and legal eagle shows have the same filler/complication formula). it's just not as bald as it is because of medium's mystery constraints, and it isn't broken up by an ensemble cast.

that said i've appreciated the longer (more than one ep) story lines. and the last 4 episodes have been much better that that, exploring one of her daughter's having the same ability is really a way of deepening allison, and relating to some of the other episodes where they went back to her youth. i really liked the 2-parter last night where she was a corporate flack, although it should have gone one longer, if you ask me. the restraint of not being able to talk to the cops or figuring out too soon. if they are smart, they'd be wise to over lap the stories, so she could solve one or two a week, and it won't feel as linear, less episodic. something like they do with damages, so you are kind of required to watch to know what is going on. writing story arcs that take a whole season to resolve instead of just one. it feels like they are moving in that direction. i just hope they commit, but it is a network, they are limited by that.

ETA: KETTO, you are all kinds of AWESOME!!!!
ketto
I admit, I do like the 2-parters on that show. I think the first half of the season did feel so formulaic so it was nice to have such a big change up and more family stuff from the usual DA office stuff. I still watch it so I guess they're doing something right. It's true too though, it is a network show which definitely limits things.
grrrlyouwant
woot, first part of rhony reunion special tonight!
missladyj
Has anyone seen the HBO version of Grey Gardens? Drew Barrymore was FANTASTIC. which is something I never thought I would say about her but I was blown away and moved to tears.
auralpoison
QUOTE(jsmith @ May 18 2009, 01:25 PM) *
This isn't a commercial, but I was watching Family Guy last night and one of the cutaways really made my blood boil. Someone made a comment about being even more useless than Aquaman, and they cut to a beach scene where a woman is being chased by a rapist, who catches and jumps on her. She starts calling for help, and "aquaman" pops out of the ocean saying something like "you're lucky you're not doing that in the water, because I would stop you" and the banter goes on and on and eventually she cries help one more time and "aquaman" says "well, maybe you shouldn't have led him on."
WHAT KIND OF BULLSHIT IS THAT??? What the hell is the matter with the son of a bitch who came up with that? How is that in any way funny? It's pretty maddening to me that some people find the idea of rape funny. I want to see any prick who wants to laugh about it have it done to him.
I mean, am I wrong about this? Aren't there just some things that are not funny and should not be treated so lightly?

You, uh, don't watch a lot of Family Guy do you, Jsmith? NOTHING is verboten on FG, there are absolutley no sacred cows. That's kind of the whole Famliy Guy thing: Offend offend offend. There is no such thing as political correctness in the FG world, make sure to offend EVERYBODY.

I mean, a common recurring character is an elderly paedophile. A child abuser is a veritable fount of comedy for FG. I also recall one where an Irish pub was called "Wifey McBeaty's" & the 'day in the life of an Irishman' display included the Irishman slapping a woman around.

ETA: The word "rape" gets bandied about so much these days, I sometimes wonder if it's lost it's meaning except to the survivors. "Rachel Maddow rapes so&so" was a headline over at Gawker, "Big Bubba" prison rape is either comic gold or delicious retribution in tv & movies.
kittenb
Family Guy seems to be a real "love it or hate it" show. I hate it. I can't watch it. Mostly because of "jokes" like the one JSmith commented about. I get too conflicted and pissed off to have any fun. I think part of the idea is to make the audiance uncomfortable and maybe even to challange them but I just can't do it without getting violently angry.
What I find more interesting is how many people who's opinions I respect who love the show. I know that The Geek watches it when I am not here. I have friends who love it. It just does not work for me on any level.
jsmith
QUOTE(auralpoison @ May 19 2009, 01:54 AM) *
You, uh, don't watch a lot of Family Guy do you, Jsmith? NOTHING is verboten on FG, there are absolutley no sacred cows. That's kind of the whole Famliy Guy thing: Offend offend offend. There is no such thing as political correctness in the FG world, make sure to offend EVERYBODY.

I mean, a common recurring character is an elderly paedophile. A child abuser is a veritable fount of comedy for FG. I also recall one where an Irish pub was called "Wifey McBeaty's" & the 'day in the life of an Irishman' display included the Irishman slapping a woman around.

ETA: The word "rape" gets bandied about so much these days, I sometimes wonder if it's lost it's meaning except to the survivors. "Rachel Maddow rapes so&so" was a headline over at Gawker, "Big Bubba" prison rape is either comic gold or delicious retribution in tv & movies.

Actually, I've seen nearly episode. I do remember the "Wifey McBeaty's" and the irish woman getting slapped around bit, and the old pedophile. I think what really got me about the rape thing is that it was something that was supposed to be in progress, and that one of the characters justified it. You don't see the old pedophile molesting anyone. With the irish woman getting slapped around, yeah, you do see that, but it's not trying to reinforce the idea that she asked for it. With the rape bit, the "aquaman" character said "Well, maybe you shouldn't have led him on." That is a prevalent attitude in this society when it comes to rape - that the victim led the perpetrator on, that she 'asked for it.'
Just because FG tries to offend everyone "equally", doesn't make it okay. Violence against and hatred of women is a real problem in this society, and to express the idea that 'she asked for it' is unacceptable, IMO.
jsmith
QUOTE(kittenb @ May 19 2009, 11:19 AM) *
Family Guy seems to be a real "love it or hate it" show. I hate it. I can't watch it. Mostly because of "jokes" like the one JSmith commented about. I get too conflicted and pissed off to have any fun. I think part of the idea is to make the audiance uncomfortable and maybe even to challange them but I just can't do it without getting violently angry.

See, I'm the same way. Maybe I should stop watching it, I mean, the "jokes" seem to be getting worse. It's like they're desperate to get a reaction, and will put some really, really bad things in there.
auralpoison
QUOTE(jsmith @ May 19 2009, 11:31 AM) *
Actually, I've seen nearly episode.

Just because FG tries to offend everyone "equally", doesn't make it okay. Violence against and hatred of women is a real problem in this society, and to express the idea that 'she asked for it' is unacceptable, IMO.

See, it surprises me that you've seen them all, yet this is the only one that really got to you. Almost every time I watch there'll be something about it that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I never said I thought FG was "okay" because of it's equal opportunity attitude. I was merely musing that the bits like the "maybe you shouldn't have led him on" slip under the barrier because the writers can say, "Well, what about the paedophile? Remember the time all the little kids were going through his pockets & he made a sleazy comment & you just knew one of those kids was gonna touch his ween? He makes very threatening/abusive comments about sexually/physically harming Chris all the time! We show that child molester every week! And the depictions of animatronic drunken wife beating as well as numerous other mentions/depictions of acceptable physical/verbal/emotional spousal abuse? Those were okay, but an Aquaman rape joke isn't?"

I do think they started out trying to make people think a little harder about/feel a little uncomfortable with some of life's realities. But because it's tv & because most people are only paying half attention anyway, they quickly slip blatant stuff in that 1 in 100 people (Unless it's anti-Catholic, in which case, they are on it!) will pick up on & subsequently get pissed about. They're like little verbal grenades, toss 'em & wait ten seconds to see if it sinks in & somebody makes a stink. They like the stinks. The more controversy, the more press; the more press, the more revenue.

Me? I stopped watching because of it's formulaic format of "Here's twenty-two pop culture gags, now go build a show around it."
stargazer
QUOTE(auralpoison @ May 19 2009, 01:40 PM) *
Me? I stopped watching because of it's formulaic format of "Here's twenty-two pop culture gags, now go build a show around it."

AP, FG was only good during the first season. I agree with your view that it went downhill, and fast, with its pop culture gags and extreme offensive behavior. It's a big bore.
jsmith
QUOTE(auralpoison @ May 19 2009, 01:40 PM) *
See, it surprises me that you've seen them all, yet this is the only one that really got to you. Almost every time I watch there'll be something about it that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I never said I thought FG was "okay" because of it's equal opportunity attitude. I was merely musing that the bits like the "maybe you shouldn't have led him on" slip under the barrier because the writers can say, "Well, what about the paedophile? Remember the time all the little kids were going through his pockets & he made a sleazy comment & you just knew one of those kids was gonna touch his ween? He makes very threatening/abusive comments about sexually/physically harming Chris all the time! We show that child molester every week! And the depictions of animatronic drunken wife beating as well as numerous other mentions/depictions of acceptable physical/verbal/emotional spousal abuse? Those were okay, but an Aquaman rape joke isn't?"

I do think they started out trying to make people think a little harder about/feel a little uncomfortable with some of life's realities. But because it's tv & because most people are only paying half attention anyway, they quickly slip blatant stuff in that 1 in 100 people (Unless it's anti-Catholic, in which case, they are on it!) will pick up on & subsequently get pissed about. They're like little verbal grenades, toss 'em & wait ten seconds to see if it sinks in & somebody makes a stink. They like the stinks. The more controversy, the more press; the more press, the more revenue.

Oh, believe me, that's not the only thing FG has done that has got my hackles up. It's just that the subject of rape is far and away the biggest thing that will make me blow out a vein. Child abuse and spousal abuse most definitely get under my skin, but for whatever reason, rape is another, more maddening beast, KWIM?
I didn't mean to suggest that you think it's all okay, I was just putting my own opinion out there that it isn't.
hellotampon
It would have been fine if they took out that last line about "leading him on." Before that the joke was less about rape and more about how useless Aquaman is.
crazyoldcatlady
i always take family guy jokes as extreme sarcasm/tongue in cheek, as in "look how absurd it is to suggest that she was asking for it".

::shrugs::
auralpoison
The whole bit was weird to me. I mean, how many women fantasize about mermen, really? I remember that one Madonna video with the hot model mermen, but fish sex? Is weird. And I don't like doing it in the water & I'm sure as fuck not doing it on the beach. There are some places sand isn't meant to go.
kittenb
QUOTE(hellotampon @ May 19 2009, 05:28 PM) *
It would have been fine if they took out that last line about "leading him on." Before that the joke was less about rape and more about how useless Aquaman is.

I am sure that the episode wouldn't have made me laugh but HT's comment did as did AP's sand line. Just wanted to share. laugh.gif
foryoursplendor
I just pulled this off the wikipedia of Anthony Kiedis:

"Kiedis is developing a series for HBO based on his unconventional upbringing in Los Angeles. The show is expected to be loosely based on much of what was written in Kiedis' autobiography. He has partnered with Catapult 360 partners Marc Abrams and Michael Benson to create the series, titled Spider and Son.[5] Abrams and Benson are scouting for a writer to pen the script, which will center on Kiedis' relationship with his father, Blackie, who sold drugs and mingled with rock stars on the Sunset Strip, all while aspiring to get into show business. The show is scheduled to premiere in late 2010 at the very earliest."

*pees pants*
stargazer
I will occasionally watch A & E. Well, I tried watching their new show, Obsessed (about OCD disorders), last night and I had to turn it off after 5 minutes because I was getting anxious. mellow.gif
auralpoison
Just hearing about that show made me want to count shit.
pollystyrene
Oh cod, I watched Obsessed last night, too. I made LeBoy watch it too- I have my issues, but he's way worse, and there were a bunch of things with the germaphobe guy that I was like, "see, I told you that was crazy!" like the excessive wiping (sorry for the TMI!) Now I'm looking into getting one of these. It was so creepy when the woman put on the clothes from her dead father. Eek.
girltrouble
god, i so wanted to see that. is there a repeat showing?
stargazer
GT, I'm sure A & E will have a repeat of the show. I watched a marathon of Intervention this past weekend.

Polly, OoOoO, I didn't see that part where she tried on her dead father's clothes. I just remember her ruminations driving me batty. Now, I've had OCD (trichotillomania) when I was a kid and would count things *in my head.* I think hearing her talk about her ruminations out loud is what drove me batty. Did they work with a counselor on the show? Maybe I will have to try and watch that show again after I take a klonopin.... blink.gif
ketto
Random thought:

I know there used to be a Law and Order thread but it's disappeared. I just have to say, does anyone else still watch them? I used to love SVU but it's such a piece of shit now. It's some of the worst writing on TV. I just had to vent...I saw the last few episodes and they had me laughing at loud at the pure cheese.

My love for classic LandO still stands though.
auralpoison
So last night's Rescue Me was pretty fucking intense, no?

Y'know, it doesn't matter what time it is or where you are in the USofA, some version of L&O is on. I still watch CI because the D'onofrio & the Goldblum are tall sexy mens. Outside of that, meh.

I think I may be the only person that still watches CSI, though. It jumped the shark with the whole GSR reveal; after that I *tried* to watch, but the sound of my gritting teeth meant I really couldn't hear it. I'm finding that I like it again now that the two characters I hated the most are gone & the one I loved the most could still pop up now & again.

They'll be repeating Obsessed on Saturday & Sunday afternoon.
girltrouble
since the fly, i have had a crush on both geena davis and jeff goldblum. i know it should have worn off, but it has not. i luff them both. so there.

i like that i'm still surprised by rescue me. i don't know if i get as hyped up as i used to, but...

as for obsession, thank you, la. wub.gif
auralpoison
Um, that is the kind of crush that never wears off. They're both just so cool. He's like some kind of sexy, weird Ichabod Crane & she's like this beautiful ass-kicking, uber-smart, archer woman. *melts into puddle of girl goo*
candycane_girl
ketto, I love Law & Order! Where I am it's on 5 times a day. I like it in all its incarnations. The funny thing is that I love it when I'm sober but any time I watch it stoned I find it really cheesy.

I'm excited to see the new CI episodes now that they have Jeff Goldblum. Between him and the episodes with Goren and Eames I am in heaven.
roseviolet
Did anybody else see the premiere episode of Glee? I watched it on-line yesterday on Hulu and really liked it. Unfortunately, the show isn't really supposed to start until this fall. I don't want to wait!
girltrouble
i didn't see it, rose, but it's by the guy who did nip/tuck, but before that he did popular, which i adored. it was over the top, but the acting wasn't disney dumb saccharine. it tackled difficult issues with an abnormal complexity for a show aimed at teens. i figured glee would be good too.
period_monster
Just finished watching the first episode of Glee. WOW! I love it. It will be so exciting when it really gets going.
sassygrrl
I've watched Glee twice. I can't seem to get the last song out of my head (yet "Don't Stop Believing" will always remind me of the Sopranos now). It has a mix of Pushing Daisies and maybe Freaks and Geeks.
Allison-Shine
I just want one of those new hi-def TVs. blink.gif Maybe I will splurge for one after I move into my brand new place.
auralpoison
So I watched Obsessed today. Maybe I'm the only one to notice this, but Scott's boyfriend? Is gay porn's (Colt Studios) Gage Weston. Scott looked kind of porn-y, too.
crazyoldcatlady
gt, i know you're into breaking bad. can i just say, each episode gets even more brilliant?
ketto
Catlady, I love breaking bad too. The finale tomorrow should be fantastic. Such a crazy show.
girltrouble
sadly i've been forgetting about it, and i've missed all the episodes since my last post about it. sad.gif but thank you both for reminding me in time to see tonight's ep. wub.gif y'all are awesome.

ETA: *slack jawed/gobsmacked from the recap + start of the new ep.*
WOW.
crazyoldcatlady
jeez, i had dreams last night about plane wrecks because of that ep.

be back later to discuss. damn job!
kari
I love Breaking Bad too! We are way behind though, I think we've only watched the first 3 episodes of the season so far. Have the rest on DVR. But this season is really good!
ketto
The season finale was insane. I felt all anxious after and had to go do something else before I went to bed. Excited to see Mad Men is returning in August though.
girltrouble
was that the season finale last night?

i think with that ep last night breaking bad might just be my favorite show. it's just a mean little machine. i wish i could watch the whole season again. i have a feeling i'm missing something since they've been eluding to the body bags on the drive way for a while. and they pretty much implied that his family was on that plane, didn't they? it's really interesting how they are showing the repercussions of the drug trade this season, and how they both have had to look at it close up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.