Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I eat weird things/I do weird stuff.
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
konphusion26
QUOTE(JustJoy @ Dec 11 2007, 01:01 PM) *
Wow, lots of funny combinations. I like Doritos (any flavor) with mustard...Mmm biggrin.gif I cant say I've tried worcestershire, would most people say they prefer it over mustard...or does it have a similar taste to Grey poupon?

Aaah, Doritos!! I love cool ranch doritos with these little pickled hot sausages we have around here. Weird, but delightful. LOL Hubby calls it one of my "concoctions".

JustJoy, i must say I'm a mustard lover as well. I use regular yellow mustard in my tuna, and maybe a smidge of mayo (rarely). I put it on fries, and lots of other things too.

Also, something weird i just tried: cinnamon on my grilled cheese sandwich. It gave it a different flavor. I've been obsessed with cinnamon lately for some reason. I put it in everything LOL

And reading past posts, i also like crackers with my applesauce. I thought i was the only one. Its YUMMYYYYYYY!!!!
mouse
worcestershire isn't anything like mustard...the only thing i can think of comparing it to is maybe a watery steak sauce...? kind of if you imagine A1 having the texture of vinegar? maybe?

i do like mustard though. mustard & ketchup on fries! and i think i've mentioned this here before, but i like to eat rice with a sauce made up of soy sauce, peanut butter and dijon mustard.

and yeah, i'll eat frozen food too but mostly just because i'm too hungry to wait for it to cook---ie, if i'm cooking something like that, i'll eat a couple frozen while waiting for the rest to heat. however, i prefer frozen green beans to fresh. something about the icey crystals brings out the flavor.

i love to eat ricotta plain.
jayboogie
i love BBQ sauce. I love hot sauce. I eat one or the other (or sometimes both) on almost EVERYTHING that I eat.
so good. SO good.
maybe that is why my belly hurts all of the time... blink.gif
neurotic.nelly
Scrambled Eggs, mix some goat cheese into it towards the end with some salt and pepper!

Black olives out of the can, with goat cheese, and veggie chips!

Sriracha sauce on everything!
princess evangeline
voodoo princess here<
i eat worcestershire sauce with everything! it's one of my fave things to cook with, no matter what the dish is.....
missladyj
nelly- I am with you on the Siracha on everything esp. scrambled eggs and in bloody marys

mmmm bloody marys!!!
toastybean
i love to eat home made giblet turkey gravy...cold...with a spoon...it has the texture of bacon grease and mashed potatoes and it is glorious!

i love mustard too! on everything...i recently started putting it on salad. and it works great because i put it on everything i dont want my roomie to eat because she hates mustard!
konphusion26
wink.gif actually had some cold applesauce with some Honey Bunches of Oats (vanilla clusters) cereal on top.. it looked extremely disgusting, but it actually tasted like cold apple crisp. Wish i had some more. It was awesome!
shinyx3
yummy. i love applesauce with cold cereal and milk. looks like vomit though.
pollystyrene
I like applesauce with cottage cheese. Little cinnamon & sugar- delish!
sexysandee
I have a major weakness for Nutella on toasted english muffins.....or on toast....or on bagels...or on ....hell I'll eat Nutella on anything. happy.gif
mouse
polly, cottage cheese and apple butter is a classic pennsylvania dutch treat. delicious! i always ate my cottage cheese that way and can't understand people who salt and pepper theirs. but then again...i eat a lot of weird things, so i'm gonna let them have that.

last week i had the most delicious pizza evar. i really wanted something super-savory, and i got one with chicken, roasted garlic, onion marmalade and gorgonzola cheese. fucking amaaaaaaazing. but not really that weird.
toastybean
QUOTE(sexysandee @ Jan 14 2008, 09:32 AM) *
I have a major weakness for Nutella on toasted english muffins.....or on toast....or on bagels...or on ....hell I'll eat Nutella on anything. happy.gif

i melted some nutella in a bowl the other day and stirred it up with vanilla yogurt...it was excellent. i also eat it on rice cakes with peanut butter because then it tastes like a reeses!
sexysandee
Yummmmm... I am going to try the yogurt thing.
This morning I put some in my cream of wheat...it was so good... On a cold morning it is so comforting.
auralpoison
I have an extreme love of Spanish sardines. I used to get these sandwiches where they grilled the sardines & veg & put them on fresh crusty bread in Spain. Now I can only get them in cans. I buy them from this company that uses artisan fishing methods/canneries & they are packed in olive oil & amazing. I could live on these sardines. They are delish. They aren't like the crappy ones we get here that for some reason I always associate with homeless guys & crazy cat ladies.
pollystyrene
The sardines I eat are probably the ones you associate with homeless people and crazy cat ladies...King Oscar? I've always wanted to try other sardines, but some of those ones in the store look a little scary, like you'd find a chunk of metal in the can or something. I have a sentimental attachment to the King Oscar ones, too. When I was little, starting at like 3 or 4, my grandfather and I would eat them out of the can together and name each one as we ate them.

Yeah, I was a twisted little kid.

What brand do you get now? I'd love to try them if you say they're good.
auralpoison
Oh, the King Oscars aren't bad at all, the Mediterranean style are particularly tasty. They're just small so you only get like eight-ten to a can. I prefer the ones from Spain by Matiz. You get three fat, delicious sardines per can. A little salt, pepper, a spritz o' lemon . . . mmmmm!
pollystyrene
Do you order them online or do they sell them somewhere by you?
auralpoison
They had them at Whole Paycheque, Marczyk's, & really cheap at Cost Plus back home. Here in the sticks not so much. I order them from Caviar & More. $3.59 a tin is a pretty good deal. I could devour four tins at once, easy, but I don't.
pollystyrene
Well, luckily, I have Whole Paycheck and Cost Plus here, so I will have to check those out!
starship
I like eat salad cream with virtually anything savoury, sometimes i mix it with grated cheese and just eat that alone

I also like these frozen things called 'hamwiches' which is basically a triangle of weird processed fake ham stuff with a layer of cheese on top and covered in breadcrumbs. They're pretty gross to think about but i still get the odd craving for them:/

If Im hungry ill make a kind of sandwich with some of whatever I'm having for dinner- this has resulted in lasagne/sweet&sour chicken/beef hotpot/pasta bake etc sandwiches

Oh and sometimes i melt a bar of chocolate in the microwave or hold it between my legs a while before eating it because i love gooey melted choc

unsure.gif
auralpoison
Matiz sardines for $2.99 a can! Holy schneikies am I happy. Plus they have excellent prices on fat tuna belly . . . ventresca.

Salad cream is basically like a runnier/tangier mayo, yes?
pollystyrene
Oh yeah, I was going to tell you, AP- I went to Cost Plus the other day and they didn't have those sardines :-( I'll have to go to Whole Foods. Drats.
auralpoison
Aw, I'm sorry, Polly. Put some on your registry, hep me to it & I'll buy you some!

I cannot say enough about how delicious the simple little buggers are. Moist, tender, plump, delicious. They are goddamned near perfect. Worth every penny spent. I'm generally exceedingly cheap & will haggle, cajole, & coupon my way into everything, but for the private dining pleasure of my sardines (I only eat them alone. I refuse to share. Period. Fuck you, HB. You will get nary a salty oily bite lest you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.) I will pay a little more if I have to.
pollystyrene
Ha, did you see my pictures from my bridal shower on FB yesterday? My grandmother included a can of King Oscars with my KitchenAid mixer.

The joke goes back to when I was three or four and we were celebrating my birthday at a restaurant. They wrapped up a can of sardines for me as part of my gift and when I opened it, I squealed VERY loudly, "SARDIIIIIIIINES!" and everyone in the restaurant turned and looked at me. I did manage to restrain myself this time wink.gif

Thanks for offering, but it's okay- I have to go to WF for some other stuff, too.
effinfantastic
When I was little, I used to mush canned peas in my chocolate milk and eat peanut butter, banana, and cheese sandwiches. I'm also a big fan of cottage cheese with applesauce and a buttload of cinnamon. Delightful.

Also, canned peas on tacos. Specifically fried tacos, but any taco will do. What else do I do that's weird? Hmm. . . Ruffles potato chips with plain applesauce. In Tennessee I ate grits with pancake syrup. Everyone thought I was weird. What do you really expect from a Michigan girl? smile.gif
auralpoison
The inclusion of canned peas in anything horrifies me, Effinfantastic. Bravo.

Last USA sardine cannery to close.
toasterbottom
Has anyone ever had a sonoran dog?

-Wrapped in bacon
-topped with diced tomato, mustard, mayo, beans, guacasalsa, salsa, and parmesan cheese.

Delicious!

Might be an Arizona thing.
auralpoison
I was with you until the parm, too nutty for the rest of the ingredients. I think I'd want something like cheddar jack.

My sardines get here Tuesday. I will be sitting in the porch with a bowl of crushed tomaters, avocado, thinly sliced onion, wedges of lemon & some Maldon.
toasterbottom
There are also guys riding around selling corn on the cob w/mayo butter parm and chile all sprayed with lemon juice. Yum.
pollystyrene
QUOTE(toasterbottom @ Apr 16 2010, 08:29 PM) *
There are also guys riding around selling corn on the cob w/mayo butter parm and chile all sprayed with lemon juice. Yum.

Mmm, elote. My dad makes an elote casserole. So good.
effinfantastic
QUOTE(toasterbottom @ Apr 16 2010, 12:48 AM) *
Has anyone ever had a sonoran dog?

-Wrapped in bacon

Odds are that if there is bacon involved, I will eat it. It sounds delightful. smile.gif
epinephrine
Oh man, I'm in weird food heaven. So far, my favourite thing in China is the markets. I spend hours just wandering through the street stalls and supermarket aisles, looking at all these crazy foods I've never seen before. At the supermarket the other day I happened upon the "leisure foods" aisle and scored a buttload of bizzarre flavoured chips. Blueberry, lemon iced tea, sour fish soup, cucumber, and "refreshing and vigorous numb and tingly hotpot" flavours, to be exact. The blueberry tasted like a blueberry muffin with salt and vinegar flavouring on it. It was both disgusting and addictive. I kept expecting the next bite to make sense, but it never did, and I ended up finishing the bag. Tried the lemon tea flavour today - it tasted like regular, lightly salted chips with instant iced tea powder on it. I'm really not sure which is weirder.

I've also gotten into the habit of eating congee for breakfast every morning, which isn't weird if you're Chinese, but a lot of westerners would find a bowl of mushy rice with spicy pickled mystery vegetables all over it a pretty disturbing way to start the day. I totally love it. And at the supermarket you can buy the pickled veggie toppings in bulk. There's a whole section with dozens of big old clay pots filled with various unidentifiable shredded, cubed and diced vegetables stewing away in their various flavourings, and you just grab a bag and start scooping and try to guess what it is when you get home and eat it. Awesome.

Oh, and durian! Love, love, love the durian. It tastes like a combination of avocado, pineapple, cream cheese and onions, and it smells like methane, and it's sooo creamy and rich...I can't eat a ton of it, but they sell it already cut into portions at the market, so I get my fix. 'Cause I already learned that you don't want leftover durian sitting around in your fridge.

I have a funny palate. It really likes to be challenged.
auralpoison
While I cannot say I liked the durian, the texture of it is out of this world. It's like the most perfect custard on the planet if said custard tasted like tropical fruit, old milk & rotting veg.
epinephrine
Weird food of the day: spicy marinated lotus root. One of my new Chinese friends had some with him and gave me some to try. It looks toxic - whatever they do to it makes it this rotten bluish brownish black - but it's so tender and spicy and sweet and tangy and delicious I can't stop thinking about it. I'm racking my brains trying to imagine what they spice it with - I think I tasted some five-spice in there, and there were plenty of chillies and probably some Sichuan pepper, too. Sugar, soy, black vinegar...I dunno. I'll be making notes next time.

Oh, and an update on the weird chips: I tried the "Vigorous and Stimulating Numb and Spicy Hotpot Flavour" and they were probably the best chips I've ever eaten in my entire life. Unlike most chips that call themselves spicy, they were actually fairly spicy! Totally going to stock up before I head home next year. The Hot and Sour Fish Soup Flavour was tasty, but nothing special. It tasted sweet and onion-y, but not sour, spicy or fishy. Somewhat disappointed in that one.
epinephrine
Purple yam! I'd seen it in the asian markets back home but never got around to trying it until I got here and couldn't find any other type of yam at the supermarket. The colour is outrageous - freshly cut, it's this gorgeous vivid violet colour, and it darkens to a deep violet-indigo when cooked. The flavour is oddly floral and totally not what I'd have expected - it had a distinct flavour of lychee and roses. You could make one hell of an interesting sweet potato pie with these things. It was quite nice with the smoked tofu I'd thrown into the steamer with it, too. I'll definitely be buying them when I've got access to a kitchen again!
epinephrine
Shopping for snacks at the campus convenience store today, I found some candies so weird I had to buy them: corn jelly drops. Individually wrapped opaque yellow jujubes shaped like tiny corn cobs. They tasted like canned creamed corn spiked with a dash of vanilla. They defeated even my adventurous palette. It's a shame, really - they're so cute! But they're inedible, just totally disgusting. Guess I shouldn't bother trying the corn popsicles...
pollystyrene
QUOTE(epinephrine @ Sep 29 2010, 07:24 AM) *
Purple yam! I'd seen it in the asian markets back home but never got around to trying it until I got here and couldn't find any other type of yam at the supermarket. The colour is outrageous - freshly cut, it's this gorgeous vivid violet colour, and it darkens to a deep violet-indigo when cooked. The flavour is oddly floral and totally not what I'd have expected - it had a distinct flavour of lychee and roses. You could make one hell of an interesting sweet potato pie with these things. It was quite nice with the smoked tofu I'd thrown into the steamer with it, too. I'll definitely be buying them when I've got access to a kitchen again!

There's a restaurant here that makes a sweet potato pie with them. They have a macadamia-shortbread crumb crust and they put whipped cream with toasted coconut on top. It's amazing!

ETA: You might be able to have one shipped from them. It's called Bob's Slice of Paradise Pie.
epinephrine
Holy crap, Polly, that sounds amazing!
epinephrine
Strawberry flavoured mini Cheetos! Not bad at all, actually. Kind of like strawberry corn pops with a tangy hint of cheese. I dig 'em.

Oh, and I scored a can of lychee flavoured beer at the supermarket! It's in my fridge right now and I'll be cracking it as soon as it's cold.
epinephrine
The lychee beer turned out to be just lychee juice with a little alcohol added. Not particularly exciting. Still tasty, though.

However, I did find a bottle of "smoked plum juice" at the store and was pleased to discover that it's the same stuff they serve with Hong Kong hotpot, which I totally love. Very rich and tangy with an interesting smoky flavour.
enfermera
epi, i think your food reports in here are my favorite thing so far of reading about your travels! so interesting!
epinephrine
It's my favourite part, too! You keep reading and I'll keep eating!

So, although not everyone considers it to be a weird food, I've gotta do a tofu report. Or, more accurately, a bean curd report, because tofu is but one humble speck in the glorious bean curd galaxy. Being vegetarian, I'm relying pretty heavily on the bean curd products for my protein here, but it's cool because I totally love them all. They do everything you can imagine with soybeans here. In the fresh food section of the supermarket you can buy straight up medium-firm tofu like you see it in the west; slices of extra-firm tofu that have been marinated and smoked; tofu that's been rolled into a fat little sausage while it's still fresh and then marinated and smoked; marinated semi-dried tofu that's made in big flat sheets, which you can cut into strips to make some damn tasty low-carb noodles; and tofu that's been aged for a richer flavour and a chewier texture. In the dry goods you can get bean curd that's been made in flat sheets and then dried in densely rolled tubes, meant to imitate a nice chewy chunk of beef tendon when reconstituted and stir fried or added to hotpot. Delicious, chewy bean curd skin, which is made with the skin that forms on top of soymilk while it's being boiled, can be bought dried in sheets, sticks, and cute little bowties. In the ready-to-eat section of the supermarket, which is totally awesome despite being a really good way to get yourself poisoned, you can buy all the above varieties of tofu prepared a million different ways with various combinations of veggies, meats, noodles and seasonings: spicy tripe and bean curd skin salad, bean curd faux tendon with green beans, tofu noodles with long strips of seaweed, sliced tofu sausage and lotus root, etc...so much fun just to walk around and look at.

And that's not all. The street vendors sell a super-soft, warm, almost pudding-like style of fresh tofu, very tricky to eat with chopsticks, which you eat dipped in a mixture of chili oil and MSG. Another popular street snack is deep-fried stinky tofu, which is tofu that's been fermented in some kind of yeasty brine until it has a fluffy texture and an ungodly reek. I still haven't tried it, but as soon as I find a vendor my friends can vouch for that won't poison me I definitely will.

Those are only the things I've managed to find with my limited Chinese and untrained eye - I'm sure there are plenty I've missed. And then there are the Hong Kong style bean curd products I haven't been able to find here, like tofu puffs - spongy little chunks of deep-fried tofu which are both chewy and deliciously juicy when added to soups. I have yet to find my favourite Hong Kong style tofu pudding, which makes me really sad. Properly made Hong Kong tofu pudding - cold, silky smooth and topped with a dash of ginger flavoured syrup - is absolute perfection. I've been satisfying my cravings with copious amounts of sweetened fresh soymilk, which can be purchased from most snack shops for about 10 to 50 cents a cup. But I'm definitely making a trip to Hong Kong during the spring or summer holidays, and I'm already thinking about all the tofu pudding I'm gonna eat there...

Seriously, all this soy cannot be good for me, but I just fucking love it.
epinephrine
Stupid glitchy dormitory internet...
auralpoison
QUOTE(epinephrine @ Oct 15 2010, 10:26 AM) *
Another popular street snack is deep-fried stinky tofu, which is tofu that's been fermented in some kind of yeasty brine until it has a fluffy texture and an ungodly reek. I still haven't tried it, but as soon as I find a vendor my friends can vouch for that won't poison me I definitely will.

Oh. The. Fucking. HORROR. I am not wild about tofu, it feels funny in the mouth. But I have seen that hairy tofu on teevee & I must admit that you are a way bigger foodie badass than I am. Jebus. I cannot even fathom the . . . ugh!

epinephrine
Aural, I am fucking honoured. Really. Even if it's because I'm willing to eat rotten tofu from a Chinese street vendor, I'm honoured to be called a badass by the most badassest Bustie!

This week I found something really neat: cucumber-mint, lavender, and lemongrass flavoured gum. They come in a mixed bottle. The cucumber flavour is a bit manky-tasting, but the other two are pretty good. The aftertaste is really awful, though.

I had way too much fun writing my last post and I've decided to launch a bean curd mission: I want to sample as many types of bean curd as I can get my hands on. I went to the supermarket today and saw a kind of fluffy, spongey, semi-dry tofu I'd never seen before which I'm totally stoked to try. Guess this means I'll have to try those scary preserved tofu cubes you buy in sticky dust-covered jars in the emptiest aisles of the Chinese supermarkets...

Oh, and did I mention that I got sick from eating at a super-sketchy little family restaurant this weekend? Yeah, fun times, that. But the show must go on - I've got a title to maintain now!
kittenb
This isn't a weird thing I eat so much as weird thing that happens when I drink. Frequently, when I drink alcohol, my nose gets stuffy. I wonder if it is connected to how, when I eat really good dark chocolate, I sneeze?
Persiflager
Ooh, I get that too, kittenb! Only with red wine, and not so much since I started using a nasal spray for general sneeziness.

My younger sister has lots of allergies and couldn't eat dark chocolate for several years when she was a teenager; I think the doctor also said the the same ingredient was in red wine.
epinephrine
I don't get strange effects from chocolate, but sometimes I have a mild asthma attack after a couple of glasses of red wine. Must have some kind of allergen or irritant in it.
auralpoison
QUOTE(epinephrine @ Oct 21 2010, 08:41 AM) *
Aural, I am fucking honoured. Really. Even if it's because I'm willing to eat rotten tofu from a Chinese street vendor, I'm honoured to be called a badass by the most badassest Bustie!

Seriously. Have at it. Your belly is made of much stronger stuff than mine!

From the intarwebs:

"For some people, eating chocolate can be as uncomfortable as standing in a field of pollen during the peak of spring. Your favorite chocolate bar can bring on classic allergy symptoms, says Steven Y. Park, MD, an otolaryngologist in private practice in New York and the author of Sleep, Interrupted: A Physician Reveals the #1 Reason Why So Many of Us Are Sick and Tired. 'Chocolate can irritate your nose's nervous system,' he says. 'Think of it as being like a migraine, where nerve endings in your nose become overly reactive.' Incidentally, he adds, chocolate, along with red wine, MSG and aged cheeses, is a known migraine trigger."

"Love pinot noir, chardonnay or merlot? For some, even just a little sip can bring on red, blotchy skin and flu-like symptoms. But can one really be allergic to wine? Yes, says Dr. Stram. 'This can be [the result of] several different allergies or sensitivities,' he explains. 'People who are allergic to wine can be allergic to yeast, sulfites, phenols or to the grapes themselves. The white blood cells mistakenly identify proteins in the wine as harmful invaders, such as bacteria or viruses, and launch an attack against it.' But if you€™re a new wine drinker, don€™t expect your body to react immediately€”wine allergies can take time to develop. 'Typically, an allergic response is not triggered the first time the body encounters the protein, or allergen,' he says. 'The first time or several times after the body is exposed to the allergen, the immune system becomes sensitized.'"

Go figure!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.