Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Grody Gross-Out Sink Clogged with Phlegm and Toothpaste and Hair and Thread thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
anarch
gargling with undiluted white vinegar?? gross. You're a lot braver than I am.

I saw a doctor on Thurs after getting tired of hobbling around with what I gradually realized was probably a bad staph infection in my upper thigh for the previous 10 days (big boil that burst under hot compressing but didn't really drain, and the skin around it kept getting redder and more painful until the bad area covered about the size of my hand). He said, "Yeah, that's a bad one. It has to be drained. I'll go in with a needle." He wiped topical painkiller on it, poked a needle in, squeezed, said, "Hmm, got to go a little deeper," went deeper, squeezed, said, "A little more, you doing ok?" put the needle in deeper, squeezed. Said, "I'm going to get a scalpel."

Bingo! Bloody pus oozed down my thigh in a line about as thick as the tip of my pinkie. "Nice!" I said. "Yeah," he replied, "It doesn't smell very good either." I thought appreciatively of you ladies but to be honest didn't really want to lean forward to smell it. "So, you do these very often?" I asked. "As little as possible!" He squeezed for about 3 minutes and got a couple teaspoons' worth of pus. He sent a sample to the lab to get cultured to see if it was MRSA or just ordinary staph. He said that often drainage does the trick, but if it starts getting red and inflamed again he'll put me on oral antibiotics.

I've been hot compressing it like crazy since then, sitting at my desk with an electric kettle and a basin and a washcloth and squeezing every so often to see if anything comes out (only yellow fluid and a bit of blood, so far, but lots of dead skin is appearing in rings around the central hole). It's still draining yellow fluid through to the top of the gauze I put on it every night and morning, but not nearly as much as Thurs and Fri.

I tried squeezing it again just now and a head of pus started coming out, which I tried to wipe off, but the damned thing is attached to the rest of itself down in the hole (like blackhead material, only without the black head, and more squishy). When I let go it retreated, so now I'm hoping if I compress it enough I'll be able at some point to squeeze out a long, satisfyingly thick worm of pus. Wish me luck.
konphusion26
**note to self - do NOT drink egg nog and read the gross out thread**

Damn I seriously almost puked LOL NICE!

And undiluted vinegar?? yikes!! Vinegar is truly a multi-purpose liquid.
Christine Nectarine
not my bare foot, but still...

woke up this morning and went to get the kiddo out of bed - walked into her room and noticed a SMELL so i opened the window. she wasn't rousing, so i stepped up the ladder to her bunk, and leaned my elbow on the pillow into something WET and SQUISHY...poor thing had been sick in the night, and threw up on her pillow, but fell asleep instead of calling me to come! it was in her hair, and on her pyjamas, and also my hand-wash only sweater!
fortunately, she wasn't severely sick, i think it was just a combination of post-nasal drip from her cold, and the yogurt she ate before bed.

STINKY!
shinyx3
anarch, eeeewwww!
ihateoly
Damn...anarch and Christine, you're gross stuff makes vinegar seem like nothin'. Eww!
culturehandy
Ooooh anarch, how disgustingly satisfying. I'm a little jealous.
anarch
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Dec 16 2008, 10:38 AM) *
Ooooh anarch, how disgustingly satisfying. I'm a little jealous.

/smirking
That's been the main silver lining through this whole thing, thinking, "Yay I've finally got something worthy of posting for the Grossies!"

Unfortunately, when the pus finally came out it came out in three pieces, and it wouldn't have been that long anyway. 3/4 inch, tops. Also, it wasn't MRSA, but it was a staph bacteria that was resistant to penicillin and ampicillin, and the doc still recommends doing a decolonization process once the boil has healed over, in an effort to stop the 2 to 3 boils a week I've been getting for 3 months (I posted about this in the "letters you'll never send" thread, if anybody's interested, as the backstory is gross too).

But hey a few days after that, I got a stye in my right bottom eyelid. (Styes are also caused by staph bacteria, apparently. Little buggers having parties in me.) The stye formed multiple heads over a couple of days, on the inner corner near the nose. The heads were about as long, collectively, as my pinkie nail. I used to get these all the time as a kid but can't remember the last time I had one as an adult, and the ones I remember had heads on the inner eyelid wall, not visible under my skin.

I was going to get mr anarch to take a close-up pic but one of the heads burst in the middle of choir practice (all of a sudden the eyelid felt not quite so painful, and there was something sticky attaching my upper & lower lashes when I blinked - lovely - I made sure not to look anyone in the eye for fear of grossing them out - there was still an hour of choir practice to go and by the time I got home there was a nice little tower of exuded pus, darkened from oxidation, piled on top of the hill of unburst heads) and when I got home I decided to just start hot compressing. Then, of course, it didn't look nearly so dramatic because the tower came off on the towel and one of the other heads burst. The eyelid's almost back to normal now. The swelling's gone and it's just a darker pink than normal.
anarch
Cripes, I forgot, the reason I came in here tonight in the first place was to post about trying to watch Cold Mountain while eating dinner and about an hour in, we heard a couple of bubbly glop sounds and looked at rug 3 feet away where the oldest cat in the house, who lately has been having digestive problems all over the basement hallway outside our room (we're in my mother in law's house while the house we just bought is being repaired...one of the litter boxes is at the far end of the hallway from our bedroom door but he can't seem to hold it in long enough to get it all in the box), was suddenly squatting. "Did he just - ?" "Oh, my God."

Yeah, what we had heard was diarrhea ejecting out of him and puddling on the rug.
auralpoison
Great googly moogly.
deschatsrouge
Geez, and I was about to complain about Kitty Lou barfing on the carpet...
anarch
Somebody's story about pulling something out of sinuses with tweezers
pollystyrene
Wow, that's awesome- completely gross, but so fascinating to think about. Maybe LeBoy should try that. He's been chronically clogged for a long time now and the ENT we went to was kind of useless. I wish the poster talked more about what it was- like was it just weird mucus that solidified? If there was pus behind it that was unleashed, was it plugging something up?

Wow. That might be one of my favorite stories from this thread.

I've been bugging LeBoy for a couple of weeks now to snake the drain in his bathroom sink because it's been moving so sloooooooowly. He has long hair and isn't careful about preventing it from going down. It's not so much a snake that we use, it's one of these. Very effective and no risk of damaging your pipes like a regular drain snake. Anyway, the last time I did it and it's the only time something gross has really made me physically ill. I was so nauseated during/after doing that. I told him I'd rather clean the litter box with my bare hands than snake another drain, so that was officially his job now. He's had a chest cold for a couple weeks and has been really phlegmy. I used his bathroom this morning and there were two wads of green snot in the sink. Just thinking about that and all the hair.....I think I'm going to have to leave the house when he cleans the drains. I can't risk witnessing what will come out of there.
anarch
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Jan 8 2009, 12:13 PM) *
I wish the poster talked more about what it was- like was it just weird mucus that solidified? If there was pus behind it that was unleashed, was it plugging something up?

I wanted more info too. The gall and incompetence of that doctor in the story, insisting that what he pulled out wasn't the cause of the author's symptoms!

Thanks for linking the Zip-It, which has been on my list to get but I keep forgetting (probably because I don't want to have to look at what comes out of the drains). I recently found a product called Drainbo that seems to have fixed our slow-running shower drain problem. I bought it at Whole Foods (though you can order it online). Using it avoids the long-term problems I read about (here at the Lounge somewhere) with Drano, which is corrosive enough to corrode pipes, which then leads eventually to more crap getting caught in the pipes.

No gross stuff from my personal life to report, thank cod. The diarrhea cat seems to have firmed up for now so he's just leaving little smears here and there.
anarch
We moved out of my mother in law's house on Monday. i went back yesterday to continue cleaning out the rest of our stuff that's still there. When I passed through the kitchen, I noticed a bunch of black dots on the tiles in front of the patio doors leading to the deck. Squatted down to take a closer look. They were flies, most dead, some still twitching, a few tough ones still buzzing against the glass. They must have had a pest control guy out to spray. I counted 133 flies on the tiles. Yeah, 133. That's not including the ones that must have tried to exit the other windows (though there were only like 3 or 4 each, at the other windows I passed by).

Crikey. Even with having counted 15 in the kitchen for a few days during the hottest week of the summer, I would never have guessed there were more than, say, 30 in the house at one time. Especially during this cool season when it was a relief to have only two or at most three buzzing around in the kitchen. No fucking wonder it was impossible to keep our room fly-free.

And I'm rejoicing in being in our own place, where (among many, many, many other things to be grateful for) I don't have to keep a plate over my cup or glass 24/7 to keep a fly / flies from landing on the rim.

I'm also wondering...why did they (or rather, she, I'm pretty sure it was my mother in law and not the relative she co-owns with) wait until the day after we moved out, to spray the flies? /a little annoyed

maybe having us stay there awakened her to the idea that it is not in fact normal to live with disgusting conditions like that. There's some serious codependent behaviours going on there with both of them.
pollystyrene
Ugh, thank cod you're out of there, anarch. Sounds awful. I think if I was moving from that into a new house, I'd work a lot harder to keep the new place immaculate than I do now. I don't have any infestations and I've never gotten sick from any of the clutter in my house.
pollystyrene
Article about the increase in women writing openly about the grossness that comes with being a woman.

Leaving a tampon in for 10 days and not knowing it? Holy shit. I've never been comfortable with tampons so just the concept of that is mindblowing. It would be like walking around with a knife in my head for 10 days and wondering why I was feeling lightheaded lately.
epinephrine
My girlfriend is a nose picker, and I hate it. She delights in smearing boogers on me whenever I'm around, and flicking them on the floor when I'm not. I just opened up my laptop, which I keep at her place because she has wireless and I don't, to find a crusty little booger tucked into the keyboard. Nice.
ananke
My housemate is such a fucking slob. She's been here nearly six months and I've never seen her wash her sheets. She's had a pile of laundry in the laundry-brig for three months. Her desk is a bombsite. Her room is even worse - the curtain is open at the moment and while the MU and I were cleaning out the house today we looked in and saw seven glasses and a plate.

The kicker? We've got ant infestation and when I came out this morning there was a box on the table outside - "something was attracting ants into it and I didn't know what it was so I put the whole box out there". The open fucking packets of pocky and lollies maybe?

I love her to bits, she's my best friend but she's a slob. Her car was filled with two wheelie bins of rubbish (not including the junk and the stuff she kept). It's insane. The worst thing is I'm five months pregnant and she was still this incredibly disgusting slob while I was throwing up if I saw anything yucky/smelt anything yucky. She still had to be told to chuck out leftover fast food, rinse glasses and plates or at least fucking wash them up.

I'm so glad she's moving soon. I love her but christ it's a fucking mess.
anarch
Thank you, polly! Our place won't be immaculate, but you're right, my tolerance for uncleanliness is a helluva lot lower than before living with the in-laws. Luckily mr anarch seems to be having a similar reaction, so for the first time in our marriage I won't be having to persuade him on a regular basis to clean things. (He would clean before, but not on his own initiative, you know? Now he's been happily cleaning drywall dust out of cupboards without prompting and is talking about doing the floors weekly. Hopefully it'll last.)

Thanks for posting the salon article. Thank cod women are writing about this gross stuff. Now we don't have to think we're unique freaks. Also, it's fun.

Boogers, now, I'm glad I don't have to deal with those from anyone I've had to live with!

ananke - your housemate sounds like another relative in the house I've left behind. I cannot conceive of living, while pregnant, in close quarters with someone like that. I'd be vomiting nonstop. I guess I should count my blessings!
shinyx3
just thought there were some pretty gross things here. Enjoy!
humanist77
WOW. did anyone else get a little aroused looking at those pictures? I so want to try that hotdog wrapped in fries...mmmmm..oh, also the bacon donut, and the Krispie Kreme bacon cheeseburgers. Also, those bacon chocolate chip cookies are probably very easy to make!
auralpoison
A deep fried Mars Bar is about as close to G*d as I've ever gotten. Start off with some scotch egss . . . I can hear my arteries harden.
girltrouble
ummm, booooook-mark!

my stomach just growled like a lion. that page totally got me hot. i'm a recent bacon convert. i was an orthodox sausage girl most of my life, but 2008 was the year of bacon....mmmmmm bacon.
treehugger
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Feb 6 2009, 07:02 AM) *
Article about the increase in women writing openly about the grossness that comes with being a woman.

Leaving a tampon in for 10 days and not knowing it? Holy shit. I've never been comfortable with tampons so just the concept of that is mindblowing. It would be like walking around with a knife in my head for 10 days and wondering why I was feeling lightheaded lately.

I use the Instead cups (tried a diva cup and it just didn't work for me)...anyway I remove the old ones and insert the new ones in the shower..one in the morning and one in the evening...less messy that way. Anyway, I had been suffering insomnia for a week or so, and one day I went to change the instead cup and pulled TWO of them out! blink.gif No wonder I had trouble with the insertion that morning!

Yeah...prolly TMI... unsure.gif

pollystyrene
QUOTE(treehugger @ Feb 10 2009, 05:47 PM) *
I use the Instead cups (tried a diva cup and it just didn't work for me)...anyway I remove the old ones and insert the new ones in the shower..one in the morning and one in the evening...less messy that way. Anyway, I had been suffering insomnia for a week or so, and one day I went to change the instead cup and pulled TWO of them out! blink.gif No wonder I had trouble with the insertion that morning!

Yeah...prolly TMI... unsure.gif

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as TMI in this thread, or maybe even Bust, in general tongue.gif

Cod, I post on a wedding-related message board on Facebook and there's a section for sex and intimacy threads. I swear, you mention the term "blow job" in there and someone gets offended. Literally, almost every thread has "TMI" in the title to serve as a warning for anyone's delicate eyes. And there's a million threads about getting married as a virgin and whether or not you're you're going to hell if you don't change your last name when you get married. blink.gif Even threads about having your period get "TMI'ed"- it's ridiculous.
pollystyrene
double post, dammit.
ananke
She's found a flat! She's going! SO FUCKING HAPPY!

My poor husband made me look at his buttscar tonight. He (and I) have pilonidal cysts - he had his operated on about twelve months ago. As I was leaving the state for an interview. So the poor bastard had a chunk cut out of his arse at the top of his buttcrack, stitched up in a Z shape and had no-one to help him. Or clean the wound/change the dressings. It was surprisingly non-gross though - given the amount of disgusting pus and blood and lymph that have come out of mine in previous flare-ups, it healed quickly and cleanly.

I can remember calling my sister at 8am the day I left to see if she could go check on him - he'd had surgery the day before and we still needed to check on his temperature and stuff. I said he might need help cleaning the wound - she was happy (gross thing she is) until she found out that not only was it his butt, it was his butt CRACK and "would involve a certain amount of prising apart of buttcheeks". She agreed to do it, but for some stiff retribution. Turns out he was fine doing it himself and when I got back 4 days later he was bored shitless because he couldn't do anything but lay down or stand up, which gets tedious.
zoya
anake - I had a pilonidal cyst that acted up on and off for 3 years, until I finally got it cut open a few years ago. I will never forget how the doctor told me that he'd packed it with "a little bit of gauze" with a piece sticking out of the opening so that I could feel it, and that I should take a shower that night and pull it out. So I'm thinking it's going to be just a teeny thing - well I started pulling it and it turned out to be a strip about 6 inches long, covered with all manner of grossness. I remember pulling it and it just kept coming.

Luckily, since having it cut open and drained, it's never come back- but sometimes I feel a little twinge and I'm like "oh no....."
hellotampon
The deep-fried brownie wrapped in peanut butter and cookie dough looks amazing.

I went to wipe this lady's butt the other day... and one of her hemmohroids was hanging almost down to her knees.
ananke
Oh that's just nasty. The cyst and the other thing. Ew.

Meanwhile, there is one of our bowls still on the back patio with chicken bones AND cigarette butts in it. And has been for weeks. At least she's realising she has a problem though.
pollystyrene
Maybe I should post this in OBOH, but this morning, I did something very stupid. I don't know what I was thinking, but I went to the bathroom when I woke up (#1 and #2) and wiped from back to front. I keep a spray bottle of diluted witch hazel in the bathroom because I have hemorrhoidal issues occasionally and it's easier (and cheaper) to spray the toilet paper than to buy and keep those wipe things on hand. I immediately sprayed some t.p. and wiped. Then I got in the shower and rinsed and rinsed. I use unscented Dr. Bronner's castille soap for body wash, so I put a little on my hand and sudsed myself a little, then more rinsing. I've had urethritis once in my life and that was unpleasant enough. So far, I'm not feeling anything, but who knows.

I'm still really confused about why I did it.
konphusion26
In the last 2 days I've seen at least 5 people come out of a bathroom stall (from taking a dump or pissing) and walked past the sink like it wasn't there. I've also seen used pads, Depends, and all kinds of nastiness -including a poop smear with finger marks in it on the floor.

What's really scary is, if I've seen 5, how many others are NOT washing their hands then going out touching stuff? Or bringing food for potlucks? blink.gif

Disgusting.
culturehandy
one in three people don't wash their hands after using the washroom.

Eewwwwwwwwwww!
hellotampon
I love it when people do wash their hands, but just for show. The stick their fingertips under the running water for all of 3 seconds and then leave. What's the point? You just got rid of like 6 bacteria.

I get disgusted with our society's obsession with germs and how we must shield our children from them starting at birth, and if we don't spray everything down with Lysol and bathe in triclosan and down antibiotics for every little thing then we're all going to die, but... come on. We all know how to wash our hands properly.
pollystyrene
I'm sure you know this already, hello, but the problem with triclosan and other antibacterial stuff is that they just make the germs stronger and that's how we end up with antibiotic-resistant bacteria like MRSA. If people would just stick to washing their hands more frequently with regular soap, we'd be okay. It pisses me off.
culturehandy
WERD Polly.

It's just insane how people think that all this antibacterial stuff is good. NO!

and I am even more horrified with how parents have become so obsessive with keeping their children germ free. There are germs and microbes and nasties everywhere. Those little things want to survive and evolve and reproduce just like everything else! And encoutering that kind of stuff helps your little crotch fruit get stronger! Bah.
zoya
yeah, I have a friend who's an immunologist, and she swears that when she has kids she's gonna encourage them to crawl around on the floor, play in the mud, and all that fun kid messy stuff - because it's helping build their immune systems by exposing them to some germs (within reason, of course) and then wash them with normal soap, not antibacterial. She's all about the plain old glycerine soap.
culturehandy
I wonder when parents will realize they are harming, not helping their children by being so OCD about germs.

I'm surprised we don't have a generation of bubble boy children yet. Throw em in a bubble so you don't need to worry about germs. Jeez.
hellotampon
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Mar 9 2009, 05:44 PM) *
I'm sure you know this already, hello, but the problem with triclosan and other antibacterial stuff is that they just make the germs stronger and that's how we end up with antibiotic-resistant bacteria like MRSA. If people would just stick to washing their hands more frequently with regular soap, we'd be okay. It pisses me off.

I know, that's what I was saying.
orangecat
ok, i have something to share and its pretty gross. i am a nail biter, like, to the max. i have recently quit biting my fingernails by wearing gloves while at work (i'm at a computer all day), and have gotten a lot better at not biting my toenails in the past year (gross, yeah i know).

well, there is one toenail i am really have a HARD time with. it has been chewed down (gross) so far for the past 2 years and i just haven't been able to grow it out. i NEED to share my toe with people and i figured this would be the best place for it. i won't post the image directly, so click the link if your brave enough.

i bought a new camera this week that has an awesome digital macro setting, which is what prompted taking the picture. i'm hoping that if i get it out there in the world, it will help me quit being so obsessed with this nail!!!

i added a pic of my other normal toenail as well, for reference (and to show i'm not a total pica-crazy person!!)

click to view image
treehugger
oh, ouch, orangecat, that looks painful!
ananke
My husband and his brother both rip their nose hairs out bare handed. While sitting at the couch, or in bed, or at the computer...
hellotampon
My second toes are like that. I'm one of those people whose second toes are longer than their big toes. So they're always pressed up against the inside of my shoes, which makes them calloused, and the nails are really thick. I'm constantly chewing the nail down and shredding the callous with my teeth.

I have narrow feet with long toes, high arches, and a high instep. It's awful. I'm on my feet all the time at work and that equals constant pain.
auralpoison
Great googly moogly. You done gnawed that down as far as your teeth will get you, huh, OC? I am a former nail biter. I laid off when I was about thirteen, although I do still occasionally dine upon my thumbs. Good luck to you in your quest to end the nibbling!
lananans
I'm a nail biter too - I'll go through phases where I magically stop and they grow a bit - but then I'll be typing and they get annoying - or I get stressed - and the nibbling begins again. I don't think I'll ever stop...
auralpoison
Y'know what stopped me? I'm *shallow*. I used to eat my fingers bloody. When I was thirteen & first started junior high, I noticed that over the summer while I had grown breasts & hips, the other girls had grown a fashion sense. I quickly got new clothes & thought that that was enough. I still got ragged on over everything by the girls, but there were only two things boys noticed: my hair & my nails. I immediately got a hair appt (Which still looked like shit, BTW.), & I stopped chewing my left hand. Eventually I realized that I had great nails . . . on one fucking hand. Which was even weirder than eating both hands. So I stopped biting. It wasn't easy, but I did it cold turkey; no Tabasco, no bitter polish.
lananans
See - I don't bite mine to the point where they're bleeding or anything - just pretty short - and I know it doesn't look the greatest, but I figure who is looking at my hands anyway. However - I should try to stop, I know! Then i could wear pretty polish, maybe get a manicure.... I just am too busy with other things I suppose.
auralpoison
I am missing ze grossness. Zit popping vidz for all!

Awesome ear zit.

Two year backne puss pocket.

Cheek zit whitesnake from hell.

Chin zit, for the HARDCORE ONLY! This is more than five minutes of gut-wrenching zit goodness!

Precision knife on shoulder zit. This one makes a HUGE MESS EVERYWHERE. The shoulder, the window behind him, the knife, the knife wielder's sleeve.
culturehandy
I'm actually afraid to look at the links, AP.

i remember when someone posted the biggest zit ever link, I almost threw up it was so disgusting. Then I watched it again.
auralpoison
I can't really remember the old one anymore, I went through several pages of archives in case I posted it again, but didn't see it. The chin zit? Looks to be a little bigger than a golf ball & practically turns purple with the pressure of the HUGE, THICK, fish gut-y looking things coming out of it. It starts with bloody pus, it ends with a clogged sink.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.