Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: iud reviews?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
maddy29
bump-for me:-)

It's been 6 days, and I'm not bleeding anymore (not for a few days) and I don't have any cramps or anything. I can't even tell it's in there, and I don't feel anything different at all. I thought it'd be painful for a while.

for people who have an iud- did you go in and out of bleeding/cramping for those first 2 months, or was it consistent? i'm just curious.
raskel
I would have a few days-a week where I would be okay in the first couple of months. But now I'm back to normal. My periods last a little longer than they did pre-iud, and are heavier. Other than that, I tend to forget it's even there.

Glad you're having good luck with it maddy!
vera
It's been 29 days and still bleeding. At first it was spotting and then a period. I thought the string had gone inside but feel it now. The cramps came and went for the first couple of weeks. I'll just be so happy to quit seeing red.
maddy29
wow vera, yours has been a really rough ride! I hope the bleeding stops soon, that is really not fun at all.

i'm gonna take mine for a test drive tonight-me and the boy are both kinda nervous.
obelix
Good luck, maddy! Just take it slow, and stop if anything feels funny. (but you knew that, didn't you?) And I think somebody mentioned this below, but watch out- there's a chance that an orgasm could cause cramps. Since I got my IUD, I sometimes get a cramp (only on the left side) when I orgasm, but it only lasts a minute or so.

Vera- has your doc given you any advice?

I know that the IUD is recommended for women with a single sexual partner, but I'm about to become sexually involved with #3 since I got the IUD. We both recently had the whole battery of tests, and we're clean. I'm not sure if I even have a question; I'm just a little concerned, like I'm breaking the rules.

But I can't get pregnant! Dude, that totally makes me want to have sex!
maddy29
Obelix-I know! Ever since the pain went away I've been like ahhh, give me some booty!!!! I feel so free and awesome! I think the only issue with multiple partners is just that the chances are higher you'll get a disease-but again, if you've done the testing, i don't see a problem.

me and my boy are both nervous about doing it, so i'm sure it'll be a kind of funny scene. hopefully everything will go well and it won't like, fall out or something.
raskel
despite the iud, if my period is 5 minutes late mr. raskel and i still sit there going "is there blood yet? anything? boobs are a little bigger...should be coming. better check again." but, so far so good. plenty of non-baby inducing sex.
freckleface2727
felt the string finally, yes, after all this time. I'm horrible and awful & LAZY & as long as the mr said he felt it I figured it was still there.
shame Shame on me!
but my ? here is now... and I don't mean to sound stoopid but is it still supposed to be sharp & hard feeling? I mean, I Know it's plastic but when the Dr said it would 'soften' I guess I thought literally?

am still in debate of removing it or not as the last time the mr & I did it we had to change positions bc the string was poking him and again, if that's the case (bc for Me it was goood, tmi!)what's the point?

but after going over more of the same birth control research info again for the umpteenth time, don't see a better alternative and when I brought up the Snip to the mr he looked *horrified* that'd I'd even say the words aloud.

gah.
but it's ok for ME to *B*L*E*E*D* for 16 days each month?
obelix
That's the way my string feels, freckle. It's more like wire than "string". Maybe the doc could trim it a little shorter? Or since it's so firm, maybe it could be crimped to point the other way?
raskel
i think the strings are like...fishing line. mine have kind of pushed around the side of my cervix, so they seem to be more out of the way.
vera
34 days and still bleeding. Went for my 30 day check and the strings HAVE disappeared. I'm scheduled for an ultrasound tomorrow to make sure it's still in there (HAHA). It took two of them almost an hour to shove it in (hurt like a mother) and that thing didn't fall out. She tells me that it doesn't matter that it went in. No problem and has assured me upon removal she'll put me to sleep (Thank God). That string did feel like a wire and I'm glad I've swallowed it. It bugged the crap out of me and had my husband frigid. I can certainly do without it. I kept feeling of it is probably why it went in if anyone else is interested.
maddy29
Wow Vera, this has been such a rotten experience for you. So you are definitely getting it removed? I can't believe it took them an hour to get it in there!!
vera
NO, I am NOT removing it!!! Hell No (haha). I went for my ultra today so they could see that it was there and of course it is. I am looking forward to years of not worrying. When the time comes they'll put me to sleep to remove it and I'll have another one put in at the same time.
maddy29
Ahhh, ok. I thought you were saying you were taking it out. Now that you've gone through the worst part, hopefully you can just relax for 5 years:-)

I'm randomly spotting again-I guess that's normal for awhile...
maddy29
Hey, does anyone know how soon I can start using tampons? I got my iud on April 19, do you think it's ok? I'm going to assume it is....but if anyone knows it's not, let me know! Thanks:-)
raskel
I got mine in the beginning of January and I didnt use them until March. I was told "a few months" by my doctor.
obelix
Oops. I got mine during my period in April, and wore tampons during my next period. I don't know if I was told to wait.
wrightwrongs
My doctor told me 48 hours.
raskel
hmm, so...I wore pads for 2+ months for nothing??? damn...
freckleface2727
my drs told me NOTHING. hell, the nurse asked me if I needed a pad once it was inserted and I told her I was good, and put a tampon in there at the hospital!
damn! they're 0-2 on not telling me shit.
guess it was still ok though bc aside from the never-ending periods it's worked out.

maddy, glad your insertion went so well :-)

vera,
I totally sympathise and wish I knew what else to tell you except really & trully, I'm w/ ya in frustration.

over-all from this board... I think we are really a mixed bag of pro's/con's, but as there are no better options for non-chemi-girls still, I do believe it's a good choice and would have still made the same choice to get mine. only I'd have been a LOT smarter about doping beforehand etc etc
maddy29
Oh how weird, that everyone heard something different. I looked on the Mirena website, and all it said was a FAQ that said you can still wear tampons with the Mirena. But, it didn't say for how long you need to wait. Ah well, thanks for the responses!
raskel
maddy, you're just not supposed to use them because of infection, so just make sure you change often and go ahead with the tampons. that would be my advice.
redding
Hello all,
I’ve just gone off the pill after 6 years, and I’m considering the Paragard IUD because I want to be hormone free. I’ve already had the consultation appointment and am all clear to get it, but I’m still thinking. I’ve read all your incredibly helpful posts and from what I’ve gathered, while it affects everyone differently during and after insertion, it seems that the cramps and bleeding/spotting diminish month by month. So, your period eventually gets back to close to normal, but a bit heavier and a bit crampier, right? It does become more bearable as the months go by, eventually to where you forget it’s there and you’re not having cramps or spotting all the time? In short: This isn’t going to be a 10-year crampy period is it? I had bad cramps before I started the pill, so I wonder if the cramps will become horrendous after I get the IUD. Anyone with bad cramps prior to IUD use have an opinion on that? Thanks!
vera
I got the Mirena, it is good for five yrs. and 20-40% of women don't have periods at all. The ten yr. one causes heavier periods. I wore a tampon the same day. I've finally stopped spotting after 49 days. Yahoo, hopefully I'll be in the percentage that doesn't even have a period!!!
redding
Vera, my doctor said she bled and spotted for three months straight when she got her Mirena IUD, so your 49 days isn't as bad as it could've been! I'd prefer Paragard because I just don't want the hormones, and I really don't mind having a period every month.
obelix
Redding-
I had bad cramps before my IUD, and I went for the copper for the same reason as you. I went into a deep depression on a low-dose pill, so I couldn't use the Mirena. I want no extra hormones in my body at all.

My cramps were excruciating the first month, but they've gotten less and less so every month. Now, a year later, I'm pretty much right where I was before I got the IUD.
raskel
I got the copper IUD in January, I'm back to normal now. I just started my period 10 minutes ago, go figure...but right on schedule. I have light cramping with it still, but that's it. I'm glad I went with the Paragard.
redding
Ouch, Obelix! Were those excruciating cramps off and on throughout the month, or just around your period? Not constant excruciating cramps, right? Did ibuprofen help? I'm glad to hear it gets better, though. Sounds kinda scary, but I think it'll be worth it. I had the same problems with depression and the pill, so I'm looking forward to going nonhormonal. Thanks for the info.
raskel
Redding, Aleve is the only thing that helped my cramps. Also, those playex heat patches work surprisingly well. They were on and off for the first week, then only during ovulation/my period.
redding
Aleve and the heating pad are definitely my friends. Thanks raskel... it sounds bearable.
obelix
Ibuprofen knocks my cramps out every time- I just have this weird thing about drugs, I hate taking them. My cramps the first month weren't constant. A few times a week, maybe. Just keep a better eye on yourself than I did- at the first twinge of pain, get on the drugs.
raskel
oh yea, I agree with obelix. I don't ever take any drugs normally. I kept thinking the cramps would pass, and would try to wait them out, and they'd just get far worse and I'd wind up taking way more aleve than I should have hoping it'd kick in faster.
redding
Yes, back before I started on the pill, my cramps were really terrible and I never took anything for it because I also don't like to take drugs. It sucked. But now, I just take an advil and it's just so much better I can't believe it. I won't hesitate to pop some ibuprofen when I get my IUD.
raskel
Well, I thought I started my period right on time..but now I'm just confused. I've had very light bleeding every night for 4 nights, but only at night, and it lasts a few hours. That's it. I haven't even been wearing a tampon or pad or anything during the day. Normal? Effect from the IUD? Now I'm worried because me getting my period every month is reassurance that the IUD is doing it's job, and it's not really happening.
maddy29
ack, i've had my period for like two weeks. I've kinda lost track. so i had about 5 days blood free after i got my iud, and other than that it's basically been three weeks of bleeding. blah:-( i can't wait until it stops!!!!!

just complaining.

freckleface2727
I think it is starting to slowly dawn on me, why I've gained ( partly so anyway) the weight over the last few months.

see, each month, I generally allow myself a few pounds lee-way to "play with" around my cycle.
not that I'm super skinny, but I recognize that my body is craving certain things at different times and that when it's over, I'll have balanced it all out again.

but sinse I got the copper t, EVERYTHING'S been screwed up. my cycle has gone on & on, w/ pms before, during and sometimes even alittle After.
basically, I crave something, I eat/binge.
few days later, more cravings, more binging.
crave/binge crave binge BUT NO END IN SIGHT.

so I don't know.

I just signed up to take part in a pms research project that I think might involve birth control. if they call me I will probly def do it to see if there is a connection.

the mr wants me to get the iud removed, bc it seems to be causing more problems than benefits.

gah. can I just hit menopause already and not have to worry anymore? :-(

and my cycle stopped completely for a whole 36 hours this month.. long enough to trick me into thinking it was getting shorter and better, and started up fresh again right after.
I am not a fan of this anymore!!
maddy29
hey freckleface- how long has it been since your insertion?

i'm going a bit nuts with the bleeding, too. i stopped for two days and it was SOOO exciting!!! but now i'm spotting again, so who knows. i had a 2 week long period, then 2 days of nothing, now spotting. It's been just over a month for me.

I really hope it doesnt' take 2 more months for my cycle to settle down, gah.

i'm not really feeling side effects, at least i don't think so. can't feel the string during sex, no problems there.

freckleface2727
maddy-
I got mine inserted back in October :-(

I'm really starting to believe that, like my expirence w/ the depo provera shot, they need to be much more forthcoming as to "possible side affects for some women" bc this long after, I really never expected to Still be having problems.
maddy29
wow, october? i can see why you're thinking of taking it out.

There are tons of side effects with iuds, that are possible. i do'nt know much about the copper one, but i found a website full of women who'd had various iud's, and had major problems-tingling in legs, numbness, intense pain, etc, etc.

my sister has a mirena, like me, and she's had no problems with it at all. took a few months to straighten out her cycle, but tha'ts it. i hope i fall in that group....

sorry this is sucking so much for you:-(
vera
Calm down ladies. I have a Mirena and yes, bled for weeks but not anymore. I love it. It's only been a few months now but don't worry guys it gets a lot BETTER.
maddy29
I'm doing fine with my mirena, although I've had about 4 periods in the last 8 weeks. I'm just waiting to get past this part. Other than that, I don't notice side effects really.

I do get some different kinds of cramping than before, and sometimes I can just feel it up in there, which is creepy and I hate.

And, my boyfriend just told me that sometimes when he's in really deep he can feel it and it hurts a bit. I figure that the strings will get softer as time goes on, right?

Just waiting to stop bleeding. It's funny how excited I get when there are a few days in a row without blood. Hopefully just one more month, it's already been two.....

how's everyone else doing?
raskel
I no longer get any side effects with the copper T (after 6 months). However, my periods are SOOOOOOO heavy still, and before the IUD my periods were very light and lasted only 3-5 days.
raskel
*mumbles* damn double posts...
smurfin
I dunno about the strings getting softer. I've had my Mirena for 1.5 years now, and only one period since. So yes, I'm pretty happy. The only bad part (I think) is that my boyfriend reports hitting the strings in certain positions - including my favourite. So that's no longer a favourite for us, basically. But yes, 1.5 years along and the string hasn't changed. I think it's plastic anyway, so I couldn't imagine it getting much softer.
redding
I got my Paragard this afternoon. It hurt like hell going in, but now I feel fine, just very mild cramping. I'm a bit nervous about what my next few periods will be like, but I'll just have to wait and see. Fingers are crossed.
maddy29
smurfin that's so amazing you've only had one period since. my sister (who has had 2 kids) had the same thing, she never really bled after she got it, just a tad bit of spotting, now she doesn't even have that.

now i'm sad, cause maybe i wno't be in the lucky percent that has lighter periods...maybe it'll just take time.

my sister says her strings are softer now, so i dunno. i guess it's all so individual, it's hard to know what'll happen.
obelix
Vera- the Copper T acts in the body VERY differently than the Mirena does. Sorry, I'm just a little tweaked about somebody telling us to "Calm down ladies". The Mirena has hormones in it and actually reduces cramps and PMS symptoms. Some of us can't handle hormones, so we have the Copper T. The Copper T increases cramps and lengthens the period, and it doesn't just get completely better after a few months.

Welcome, Redding! Stock up on Vitamin IB, break out the red skivvies, and good luck!

After a year with my Paraguard, I don't even have to take anything for my cramps. My biggest problem is that I spot for a few days before and after my period. AND- I get PMS on the first full day of bleeding now, instead of a few days before. So, I get to be cranky, moody, sweaty, AND bloody. Yay.
vera
I went through utter hell getting the Mirena. My strings have gone inside and I get to be put to sleep to remove the IUD. I hated the strings and kept messing with them perhaps causing them to go inside (in case anyone wants to know how). I'm not sorry and am now having a good time looking forward to years of sex without him/I feeling strings. It just takes time.
raskel
vera, the point obelix is making is that...while you might have had trouble for 1, 2, or 3 months with the mirena, those of us with the copper T are still going through "hell" 5, 6... 10 months into it.
redding
Thanks for the welcome! I’ve been surprised at how little cramping I’ve had since I got the Paragard last Wednesday. I had some pretty bad cramps for about 10-15 minutes within 10 minutes of getting it inserted, then I broke out in a cold sweat and felt nauseous… thankfully I was still at the doc’s office, and she had me come back to the room and lay down. She did an ultrasound and said it was in the perfect place! I had mild cramping the rest of the day, then barely noticeable cramping the next day, and since them I’ve had occasional cramps here and there, only a couple times where it was worth taking ibuprofen. And I’ve barely been spotting at all. I honestly expected the week after insertion would be much worse than this. Perhaps I’m jinxing myself here by going on about how not-crappy I feel right now. My main worry now is expulsion—and of course, my next few periods. I’m going to stock up on Aleve—and red panties, of course.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.