Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: iud reviews?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
shara
Hey IUD Busties,

My last post was talking about my insertion procedure and how that went... then of course raving about the awesome spontaneous sex my fiancee and I get to enjoy, but I'm afraid I have a bit of a problem. I've had my IUD for about 11 months now with no real problems except one that I thought was normal.

Around thanksgiving I hadn't seen the Mr. in a while, and I went to visit him and the family for the holiday. Needless to say we had plenty of "portions" but after the second day of sex 4 or 5 times a day, I noticed that I had started bleeding. Nothing too heavy, but definately a noticable amount of blood. It didn't hurt when we would have sex, (quite the opposite actually, lol), but it worried me. I knew it couldn't be my "moon" blood, cause that completed 2 weeks prior, and it didn't seem like "moon" blood. No tissue or clumps or anything was in it, it was just smooth fresh looking blood. My only explanation is that maybe we went at it a bit too hard, although I couldn't remember us doing it any different than normal. Anyway, so the bleeding continued until about 2 days after I left the Mr., and went back home. After that it just left my mind, cause I had the spring semester to finish and had to move into a new house and prepare for my sweetie's arrival.

Well, he just moved in a week ago, (first of June), and the sex and the bleeding are back. It's really strange, cause it doesn't hurt. And it's not my moon. I just can't think what could possibly be wrong. Is it possible that when we have sex the blood that WOULD be my period gets knocked loose and comes out? Or do you think there may be something wrong inside. Or what if it's something else like my IUD is trying to come through my uterine wall? Or a cyst? What if I'm destroying my chances of having children someday?

I'm terrified.

sad.gif Please tell me this is normal. sad.gif
freckleface7
shara,
truly, the only thing I can think to advise is to go back to your obgyn.
maybe the strings are causing a rubbing or irritation during sex that is causing it, or, heck I don't know.

I didn't have any pain or discomfort during sex and my iud was starting to expell itself, something that seemed to really suprise my dr as she kept asking me that over & over during the removal- like there should have been some sort of something I picked up on on my own.
there wasn't.

did you go back for a re-check after your insertion?
seems regardless it's the best thing to do.

good luck ~

HT: you said you could accept longer, heavier, more painful periods to get the benefits of the iud.
granted I didn't know it was That possible when I got mine inserted, but probably felt like you at the start too.
and I was wrong. when your periods start taking over your life literally, bc you are constantly on a hormonal rollercoast or expecting it to start at any moment, it gets old Real Fast. sad.gif
shara
Thanks Freckle,

I'm going to head to the gyn next week, I really hope it's nothing major. Wish me luck!
AsparagusBerry
Ok, I am thinking that I am having a serious complication with my iud. Earlier this week, I started what I thought was a period...but I haven't really had one at all in the 3 months since I had it inserted...so earlier today after "portions" I wiped, and there was this big chunk of tissue...it kinda looked like a vein. I have an apt. on Friday to see the gyn, but I am very worried, should I refrain from sex? should I be worried about the state of my uterus, and future fertility? Aaah I am going to go crazy until Friday.

I thought I might add that I can still feel the string
NoSissy
Asparagusberry,

I wish I had read your post a while ago. I think I could have consoled you. I believe, (though I'm no expert) that what you experienced is a large amount of clotting. I asked my obgyn at my annual because I just got my Copper T in February. The tissue coming out of me was long and stringy, and it reminded me of a certain other medical procedure I had. I asked if maybe I had conceived and the IUD had expelled a fertilized egg or something. She assured me that it was just thicker clotting from my uterus lining, and perfectly normal, and I have an AWESOME Obgyn. If you're getting an IUD it is supposed to be inserted DURING your period when your cervix is more open. If your doctor tries to schedule it at any other time, I'd find a new doctor. I didn't even wince when she put mine in. Granted, I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, but it was really nothing. The cramping has been pretty awful at times but with each month that passes it subsides a little more. By six months I imagine my cycle will be pretty normal. At least back to the way I was with no BC. My IUD is the best decision I ever made as far as my birth control. I'm finally FREE. biggrin.gif
heartlikeajet
hey y'all! this is my first bust message board post EVER. pretty exciting! i decided to sign up because i really wanted to be a part of this i.u.d. discussion, even if it seems to have dwindled over the past year.

for a while i've been a pretty staunch practitioner of what i perceived to be "radical wimmin's health." this meant using the keeper instead of disposable pads/tampons, and practicing the fertility awareness method (FAM) as both a form of birth control and a way of getting in touch with my body's natural cycle.

however, in the past few months, i've come to be aware of a couple of things:

1) after a faithful and exciting year of practicing FAM, my enthusiasm and discipline for observing my fertility signals have begun sputtering out. bad sign! FAM absolutely requires ceaseless diligence, and to be honest, taking my temperature every morning at seven a.m. with a basal thermometer (which takes about five minutes to record one's temperature) was a giant pain in the ass. i am totally not a morning gal.

2) this summer i began an internship at a feminist women's health center. there's nothing like working at an abortion clinic to make a girl re-evaluate her chosen birth control method.

a couple of the women i work with have chosen the i.u.d., which initially surprised me. i had always thought of the i.u.d. as some creepy, invasive thing. i'll give the dalkon shield's demise in the 70's/80's the credit for that stigma. however, upon talking to women whose opinions i trust and respect, i'm starting to give paragard some thought. for one, i know i want to be both pregnancy and child-free for at least another ten years (i'm only 21!), and i want highly effective birth control. i think it's cool that the copper in paragard acts as a natural spermicide, and that it doesn't have any hormones or therefore fuck with my natural rhythm. so, why not?

well, the horror stories i've read on these message boards, for a start. months of spotting and/or bleeding? cervical tears? poor dudes' poked penises? hair loss? PID? yeesh. i know that there are some success stories in this forum as well, but my anxiety is revved up after hearing some of these accounts.

reassurance, anyone?
NoSissy
QUOTE(heartlikeajet @ Jul 13 2008, 06:31 PM) *
hey y'all! this is my first bust message board post EVER. pretty exciting! i decided to sign up because i really wanted to be a part of this i.u.d. discussion, even if it seems to have dwindled over the past year.

for a while i've been a pretty staunch practitioner of what i perceived to be "radical wimmin's health." this meant using the keeper instead of disposable pads/tampons, and practicing the fertility awareness method (FAM) as both a form of birth control and a way of getting in touch with my body's natural cycle.

however, in the past few months, i've come to be aware of a couple of things:

1) after a faithful and exciting year of practicing FAM, my enthusiasm and discipline for observing my fertility signals have begun sputtering out. bad sign! FAM absolutely requires ceaseless diligence, and to be honest, taking my temperature every morning at seven a.m. with a basal thermometer (which takes about five minutes to record one's temperature) was a giant pain in the ass. i am totally not a morning gal.

2) this summer i began an internship at a feminist women's health center. there's nothing like working at an abortion clinic to make a girl re-evaluate her chosen birth control method.

a couple of the women i work with have chosen the i.u.d., which initially surprised me. i had always thought of the i.u.d. as some creepy, invasive thing. i'll give the dalkon shield's demise in the 70's/80's the credit for that stigma. however, upon talking to women whose opinions i trust and respect, i'm starting to give paragard some thought. for one, i know i want to be both pregnancy and child-free for at least another ten years (i'm only 21!), and i want highly effective birth control. i think it's cool that the copper in paragard acts as a natural spermicide, and that it doesn't have any hormones or therefore fuck with my natural rhythm. so, why not?

well, the horror stories i've read on these message boards, for a start. months of spotting and/or bleeding? cervical tears? poor dudes' poked penises? hair loss? PID? yeesh. i know that there are some success stories in this forum as well, but my anxiety is revved up after hearing some of these accounts.

reassurance, anyone?

I believe that the most important thing about getting an IUD is that you have it placed by an experienced CARING Obgyn, and that you make sure you go for your followup. My man can sometimes feel the string a little, but it only pokes if it's cut too short. I haven't had any bad cramping or spotting for a month and a half. So I'm very happy with no issues. An IUD is NOT recommended for people with multiple sex partners because it CAN make you more prone to become infected with certain STDs. The uterus's adjustment can be rough at times but it is WAY better then having an abortion. I say GO FOR IT.
heartlikeajet
QUOTE(NoSissy @ Jul 14 2008, 10:04 AM) *
I believe that the most important thing about getting an IUD is that you have it placed by an experienced CARING Obgyn, and that you make sure you go for your followup. My man can sometimes feel the string a little, but it only pokes if it's cut too short. I haven't had any bad cramping or spotting for a month and a half. So I'm very happy with no issues. An IUD is NOT recommended for people with multiple sex partners because it CAN make you more prone to become infected with certain STDs. The uterus's adjustment can be rough at times but it is WAY better then having an abortion. I say GO FOR IT.

oh yeah, i forgot to add in my original post that i'm in a mutually monogamous relationship and have been for over a year and a half. i've gotten maybe one yeast infection in my entire life (knock on wood), and that's as bad as my history of vaginal infections gets. and as far as i know, my sti history is clean.

thanks for replying, nosissy! i'll just make sure my doc leaves the string long enough to curl around my cervix.
freckleface7
heart
1/2 the scary stuff you posted was about mine, and I think that nosissy hit it squarely on the head : HAVE IT INSERTED BY AN EXPERIENCED PRACTICIONER. ask and don't be shy about it, get actual #'s. I didn't, but didn't know it till I was knees in the air & she was calling in another Dr ( & nurse & I believe Bozo the clown as well- there were about 7 or 8 people in there around my feet at one point, no kidding) and naievely even Then I assumed it was going to be ok.
again, I was never told Anything about a follow up check (probably bc they already knew what had happened to my poor abused cervix?) or using pads instead of tampons for awhile or even offered or advised anything for pain.
and that was With me checking things out on my own I thought (bc I'm really uptight like that).

all that said, I would STILL recommend the IUD ( & do) to other women.
didn't work for me no, but had most of the stuff listed above Not happend how different might my expereince be right now?

I would imagine you can get all the information and then some, at the place you are interning at right now so I'm with nosissy, put all the info you can get combined with what you know about your own body (a lot of here cannot tolerate the chem's in pill bc) & personal experiences and base your choice on that.

good luck & let us know ~ ( if you want!)
courtiegirl
Hi all,
I'm really interested in Mirena, read all the horror stories, wondering if planned parenthood will let me get it this coming Wednesday, and anxious to see if my side affects from the shot will go away if I do go with Mirena.

I have been on the shot for a couple of years now, and have loved it the whole time until now. Just recently over the last month, I've experienced weight gain, hair loss, anxiety, depression, low libido, and some major fatigue. I have nothing else to blame for these symptoms than Depo, and since I have thin, baby-fine hair to begin with I can't really afford to go through this hair loss. I am on a Nioxin regime to treat it, and I know that all bc methods have tendencies toward this side affect but I was wondering if others may decrease the risk?

I'm 19, have not had a child, and am in a healthy monogamous relationship.

Any advice would be appreciated sooo much.
deschatsrouge
I have a mirena. I have no horror stories about it. i really love it. The only side effects i have noticed are no periods and a boost in sex drive. Overall have to give it a rave review.
courtiegirl
QUOTE(deschatsrouge @ Aug 6 2008, 12:16 AM) *
I have a mirena. I have no horror stories about it. i really love it. The only side effects i have noticed are no periods and a boost in sex drive. Overall have to give it a rave review.

Awesome, thanks. I'm on the nuvaring until I get one fitted so now I'm excited.smile.gif
Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(courtiegirl @ Aug 7 2008, 10:12 AM) *
Awesome, thanks. I'm on the nuvaring until I get one fitted so now I'm excited.smile.gif

Deschats, my experience with mirena sounds the same as yours...it's been about 6 months since i got it.
Courtie, hope all goes well, and be especially careful about when it is inserted...mirena is often not recommened for women who have not had children, so who ever does it needs to be extra good, and possibly give you some meds to relax your cervix
deschatsrouge
I didn't have children but that didn't ever come up as an issue. My doc was a child free by choice feminst though. I have pcos and that was the reason I got it in the first place. My doc told me she would be on my side if I ever wanted a hysterectomy.
Christine Nectarine
Deschats, i don't think it is a child free issue so much as a physical matter ie. easier to insert post-child bearing. i'm glad someone was looking after you tho!
Anney
Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone had ever experienced this problem... or heard of it.

I've had my ParaGard for about 6 months and love it-- no problems! Sometimes it's been tough finding the strings, but sooner or later I would feel them and assume everything was OK.

Well, yesterday I had my annual and my doctor (who put it in) couldn't find the strings. She ended up having me get a ultrasound, and turns out-- it was perfectly in place still, but my strings had apparently wrapped up inside my cervix. So, she said the ParaGard is fine, but now I won't have that "reminder that everything is OK" by feeling my strings. She also said that this is not a common problem, because usually when you can't feel your strings it means something is wrong. And-- she also said this may present a problem when I get the IUD removed.

So now I'm going to go back in and she's going to try to coax the strings out. If that doesn't work, I can either keep it in (but not have the reminder) or consider getting a new IUD altogether.

Has anyone ever had this problem, or have any suggestions??
Marissa
Hi there -

I'm new to the forum, but from the looks of it - it seems like a pretty remarkable group of women!

Anyways, I've had Paragard in for about 3 months, and other then the hell of insertion...it's been no problem. In the last couple days however - I've been getting this weird "twinge"/ cramp on my right side...ESPECIALLY when orgasming. I can feel my strings still (though they seem a touch longer...but I may be hallucinating that). I just had my last period, so I'm wondering if it maybe it moved a bit...how common is it to be able to "feel" the IUD every so often? Does anyone out there have experience with this? Is this something to worry about? I love having a real period & am not crazy about being on hormones, but it's kinda unnerving to feel like things are wobbling around inside you that you don't have any control over.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Krystal1922
Hello everyone. I have a ParaGard which I had inserted on April 29th 2008. I have bled on and off since the insertion. (May 18-28, June 8- July 7, July22-July 31, and again since Aug 7). Has anyone else had this problem? I really like not having the hormones. I have been on some sort of BC since I was 15 and I'm now 25. I had NO sex drive and it has returned since the IUD (my guess is due to not having hormones). I really want this to work. Any advice or comments?
Christine Nectarine
Hi Krystal,
i had some intermittent bleeding for a few weeks after insertion, but i have the mirena. i know with paraguard menstual flow can be increased or just change, maybe that's what's happening. plus, if you've been on hormonal bc for a long time, your body will likely take some time to adjust to a new "rhythm" so to speak. as always, if you're really concerned or it's making you uncomfortable, check with you doctor!
Krystal1922
QUOTE(Christine Nectarine @ Aug 14 2008, 04:01 PM) *
Hi Krystal,
i had some intermittent bleeding for a few weeks after insertion, but i have the mirena. i know with paraguard menstual flow can be increased or just change, maybe that's what's happening. plus, if you've been on hormonal bc for a long time, your body will likely take some time to adjust to a new "rhythm" so to speak. as always, if you're really concerned or it's making you uncomfortable, check with you doctor!

[color="#9932CC"][/color] Well, I have been back to the doctor 1 month after insertion and she put me on 1 week of estrogen pills to see if it would stop and also gave me a pamplet on "abnormal vaginal bleeding". I think that me going to the dr should cover the stuff that was in the pamplet, wouldn't you think? Anyway, she told me to take those pills for 1 week and told me to schedule a follow up appt in 3 months if I didn't quit. I have been on and off but not "normal". I guess when I get the card to re schedule I'll give them a call. I don't want to take it out though because I have felt better and sex drive is back, only dissapointment is the bleeding.
archegonia
dudes,

i thought i was pregnant last month. wouldnt it figure to be in that percentage that allows one past the goalie. anyway i ask dr lady what happends with an iud if your preggers and she said nothing. its left in and has been known to be clenched n the babies hand in delivery.

is that fucked up to anyone else? some how it makes me uncomfortable.

i'm not pregnant tho smile.gif

a
deschatsrouge
My mother got pregnant with my brother when she had an IUD.
heartlikeajet
QUOTE(freckleface7 @ Aug 2 2008, 06:53 AM) *
heart
1/2 the scary stuff you posted was about mine, and I think that nosissy hit it squarely on the head : HAVE IT INSERTED BY AN EXPERIENCED PRACTICIONER. ask and don't be shy about it, get actual #'s. I didn't, but didn't know it till I was knees in the air & she was calling in another Dr ( & nurse & I believe Bozo the clown as well- there were about 7 or 8 people in there around my feet at one point, no kidding) and naievely even Then I assumed it was going to be ok.
again, I was never told Anything about a follow up check (probably bc they already knew what had happened to my poor abused cervix?) or using pads instead of tampons for awhile or even offered or advised anything for pain.
and that was With me checking things out on my own I thought (bc I'm really uptight like that).

all that said, I would STILL recommend the IUD ( & do) to other women.
didn't work for me no, but had most of the stuff listed above Not happend how different might my expereince be right now?

I would imagine you can get all the information and then some, at the place you are interning at right now so I'm with nosissy, put all the info you can get combined with what you know about your own body (a lot of here cannot tolerate the chem's in pill bc) & personal experiences and base your choice on that.

good luck & let us know ~ ( if you want!)

thanks! i thought maybe all of the horror stories could be tied to just a few people sharing a lot about what was going wrong.

i have my initial consultation september ninth! wish me luck!
dayglowpink
I'm not sure about the IUD being clasped in a baby's hand thing. I had a women's health professor in nursing school who had seen a baby born with an IUD embedded in its arm. I think it is fairly risky that part of the baby's body could grow around it like that. I believe a woman could choose to have the IUD removed which would end the pregnancy.
NoSissy
So the scandals that have occurred due to babies growing around IUDS are based on truths, HOWEVER, there are two things that ease my mind. #1 When the IUD was first introduced to womankind, there were some crappily designed IUD's out there that did not do their job very well and have since been taken off the market. #2 The possibility of pregnancy with today's IUD's is SO small, that the tiny risk factor doesn't scare me away from 10 years of hormone free contraception. That's my take on it. rolleyes.gif
archegonia
10 years? i think my copper T is good for 2 and a half years, what kind do you have nosissy? your right times have changed i must say i'm still a lil nervous about it.

a
NoSissy
QUOTE(archegonia @ Sep 6 2008, 08:34 PM) *
10 years? i think my copper T is good for 2 and a half years, what kind do you have nosissy? your right times have changed i must say i'm still a lil nervous about it.

a

I have a Paraguard IUD and it is effective for up to 10 years (Planned Parenthood says 12, but 10 is good enough for me). I have never had anyone (including my Gyno) advise me to remove it sooner, unless of course i decide to have babies. I thought all IUD's were like that, but I guess there are still a variety around. What's yours Archegonia?
freckleface7
the copper iud is good for 10, but I'm pretty sure the chemi kind is considerably less.

heartlikeajet: good luck on your consult tomorrow!
Christine Nectarine
mirena (low dose hormone one) is good for 5 yrs.
archegonia
mine is called Copper T and its the Canadian equivalent of paraguard... so i'm told. i'll have to do some research to see how long it is actually good for.

as i've mentioned before my dr. shows very many suspicious signs of being all about commission. and although i'm not what i'd call a paranoid type lady i dont trust her at all and chalk up a lot of her 'advice' as digging for the ol' $$, i wouldnt put it passed her to tell me i need a new one more frequently than i truly do.

i'll let ya'll know what i dig up on this brand.
heartlikeajet
so i had my initial consultation a couple of days ago and while i LOVE the family health nurse practitioner i talked to, when i asked her how many IUDs her practice had inserted she admitted that they had only inserted 4-5 in the past couple of YEARS. yikes...i expressed my concern regarding that a lot of IUD complications seem to stem from improper insertion, so since it was such a long term and expensive method, i wanted to make sure the insertion was as problem-free as possible. she admitted that since i haven't given birth, she would feel more comfortable referring me to a doctor who has done a lot more insertions. so that's what's going to happen.

i'm glad i was able to be honest about my insecurities and she totally heard me out...and even shared hers. overall, it was a great interaction.

so my THIRD consultation is coming up. i want to get this thing inserted already!!! at least i've had sufficient time to think about it...geez.
Elle N
Hey there,

I'm new to this site and came across it while researching IUD's. I'm 22, have been living with my boyfriend for 4 years now and have been on 'the pill' since I was 16.

I really find I have very little libido, and after reading 'The Orgasmic Diet' (great book) decided that I seriously needed to look into coming off hormones.

I've just emmigrated to Canada and haven't yet had my first annual checkup though I have an appointment soon. Obviously I'm kind of nervous about it, though the place was recommended by a friend. Depending on how that goes I think I'll be asking them about the CopperT IUD.

Does anyone have any reservations about having one inserted seeing as I've never given birth? I have read that in the States IUD's are usually recommended for those who've had children as insertion is easier.

If anyone else is looking for more information about IUD's or just non-hormonal birth control I found this webpage really helpful:

http://www.vaginapagina.com/index.php?titl...l_Birth_Control

Thanks a lot!
Danika
Hi Everyone, I had an iud (minera) placed a few months ago. I recently checked the strings and felt tha tthey were very low. Almost coming out. I felt farther back and could feel the plastic part coming out too. I went to the doctor today and she had to pull it out. Im really upset because i was really liking the iud, and I haven't even paid the bill yet! So baisiclly i'm out $400. My doctor said this was really rare, and has never seen one come out like mine before. Have any of you guys heard of this happening? Was it a problem with the way it was placed, or is it just the shape of my uterus like my doc says?

By the way, love the sight!

D
freckleface7
danika
I had the copper t iud and mine was basically expelling itself also, but it wasn't the strings that I felt, more of a constant period that drove me to the dr already deciding to get it removed.

if you read back awhile you'll see what all I posted about it. (torn cervix likely from a bad insertion to start & all)

is your uterus tipped? mine is, but I wasn't given a reason as to why mine was expelling. however, I also didn't go to the obgyn specialist I was referred to for a tubal following that (changed my mind) that would probably have given me more info .

- your dr can't re-set your iud w/out the cost again or maybe just a reinsertion fee?
granted I have No Idea how plausible that might be, but geesh. $400** and you're just sol?
really stinks for you & I'm sorry.

I will strongly encourage all Newbies to please check in & post a short intro at the Newbies Thread in the Lounge if you haven't already. we're a friendly bunch here but have our own sort of netiquette to keep it safe.
NoSissy
QUOTE(Danika @ Sep 19 2008, 05:12 PM) *
Hi Everyone, I had an iud (minera) placed a few months ago. I recently checked the strings and felt tha tthey were very low. Almost coming out. I felt farther back and could feel the plastic part coming out too. I went to the doctor today and she had to pull it out. Im really upset because i was really liking the iud, and I haven't even paid the bill yet! So baisiclly i'm out $400. My doctor said this was really rare, and has never seen one come out like mine before. Have any of you guys heard of this happening? Was it a problem with the way it was placed, or is it just the shape of my uterus like my doc says?

D

I was told that if mine expelled itself and I brought it to my gyno Paraguard would provide a new one for free.
shamelesshussy
To Elle N - I got my first Copper IUD when I was 22, also never having had a child. While the cervix of a woman who's had a child is probably a bit easier, being a nullipara (woman who's never given birth in gyno speak - you know, in case you're doing the crossword puzzle) isn't grounds for worry. It won't present a problem to a properly trained doctor.

And the discomfort of insertion can managed by taking ibuprofen (and the like) beforehand and above all, just staying calm and relaxed. If you still have concerns, some health care professionals may offer you the option of shots given in the cervix (no, not painful. Just a momentary twinge) in order to either dilate it or numb it.

To be honest, because the uptake in the States is so low for IUDs, a lot of the info floating around out there is totally outdated. I got mine in Germany (I'm American, was just living there at the time), while a 38 year-old nullipara friend of mine had trouble getting her doc in New York City to give her one!

For what it's worth, my experience has been extremely positive. I had heavy, painful periods before which was obviously some concern when I opted for the non-hormonal variety (didn't want them either!), but my period has actually gotten a lot better. Bear in mind this isn't necessarily due to the IUD, more than likely just getting older (28 now and I think my "I wish I could die" periods are behind me).

Hope this was some help. And best of luck finding your best BC match.
Lunalu

hey Danika,

I posted here way long time ago, when I had my IUD (paraguard) I had had very seriously painful insertion where I passed out during the procedure. My doctor was someone I didnt know because my pre-arranged scheduled doctor wasn't available for sometime, so they referred me to someone else, and that doctor turned out to be such an inexperienced lady sad.gif
My story is that, three month after my insertion, I was taking a shower one day, and I just saw the strings hanging down (right after my period), it came out by itself with no pain, and like you with 1000$ fees (IUD itself + consultation+ follow-up app.) and it's been over a year, I'm trying to appeal my fee and they keep sending me the bills. and this happened in University of Minnesota Student Clinic... Such a shame!...
But what's worse is that after my expulsion, twice in 1.5 months I got hospitalized for supposedly I had cyst ruptures which was a misdiagnosis. Then my gyno wanted to perform a laparoscopic abdominal surgery to find out what was causing... it turned out I had endometriosis in my uterus, and my gyno relatively attributed that to extreme bleeding following my unsuccessful IUD insertion. So, now I'm IUD-less and hormone-less and consequently without BC... I wish IUD had worked for me, I would keep it no matter what pain, but if the body doesnt accept a foreign thing and if the doc is incompetent, it's very sad, and painful to go through all the emotional and financial difficulties... So, yes even though it's rare, they are people who expel the IUD, and it's more common for women who never got pregnant / or gave birth...
I wish you good luck and hope you find a good alternative.

QUOTE(Danika @ Sep 19 2008, 04:12 PM) *

D

archegonia
so... sorry to interupt that discussion topic... MY IUD AND I ARE PREGNANT. fuuuuuck.

went to the hospital, had an ultrasound, specialist says well the company (copper T) recomends removing it - which i have never heard your to do before - he says theres a chance of miscarraige if we remove it but theres a greater chance of miscarraige if we leave it in as well as increased chance of infection and premature labour. so we decide to take it out because its a lower risk.

the strings have always been present when i've checked but lo and behold he goes to remove it and theyre MIA. so now theres increased risk of miscarraige if he uses a device to go in and remove it. so in it stays and i'm 6 weeks pregnant and come april i'll have 2 kids under 2. fuuuck.

a
freckleface7
archegonia,
I don't even know what to say, I am so sorry.
((((((arch))))))) if you want/need to pm me to talk, please feel free.
Christine Nectarine
((((archegonia))))
that's a really difficult situation, sorry you are having to go through this!
definately, i have always heard it's really risky to keep the iud in if pregnant. hope you stay safe and healthy.
deschatsrouge
((((archegonia))))

My mom also got pregnant with a copper T. I have heard of other ladies that have had the same happen. I hope you stay well.
archegonia
aww you girls are awesome. thank you so much for all your well wishes. i'm doing good, if a little queasy. i never meant to have kids and went thru a lot with my first pregnancy (diaphram grr...) but i'm doing better with this one even tho i'm scared and frustrated and still nursing my first.

i really hope the iud doesnt cause any complications. it was an unplanned pregnancy but i'd like for this unruly little one to make it out ok.

i really appreciate all the love. i'll let you know how things unroll.

smile.gif a
indiechick
dear all,

this might be a far shot but have any of you either a) used or b ) known a woman who used the european iud gynefix? i know that it is not available in the us but you never know - there might be a bustie who is familiar with this specific iud.

gynefix is a lot smaller than regular iuds and supposedly causes less cramps and less problems than other iuds. indiecock and i are currently using condoms as our preferred method of bc (i could neither handle the hormones nor did i want to keep on taking something artificial every day) and both of us are okay with it. however, i also wouldn't mind a little more spontaneity so i think an iud might be a better option than condoms.

thx!
freckleface7
indiechick-
that looks fantastic!!
no, I had not ever heard of it and wish I had read your post 2 days earlier before I saw my dr as we discussed birth control once more & am now starting to think on a diaphram, something I'm so/so in feeling about.

I do wonder how it stays in though, without the cross bars?

I did live in germany for a few years, and could have gone on the economy to a.. what's the word for a german hospital? as compared to the military medical clinic on post, as I'd heard the care there was really fantastic.
- now I wish I had though how long has the gynefix been available there?

def worth knowing more about- thank you so much!
indiechick
@freckleface: i think it is sewn to the back of the uterus so that it stays in place. the site claims that the cross bars of regular iuds are responsible for a lot of problems that women have with iuds since they just come in one size and obviously no two uteruses are alike.

the gynefix has been available in europe for a couple of years but in germany, there are only a few doctors who have learnt how to put it in. in berlin with about 3.7 million people, only three gynos know how to work the gynefix. it's still very rare. i remember that the website mentioned that it's not available/approved in the us.

and the german word for hospital is "krankenhaus" (home of the sick). smile.gif
sassy
Hey girls...I'm hoping you guys can offer some advice. I had my annual gyno check-up on Friday and after talking with my doctor about Mirena, I'm very seriously considering it. I'm 23 and I have been using birth control pills since I was 18. This was fine for awhile, but I've definately noticed a decrease in my sex drive and now that I'm married, I would like something that lasts longer, short of steralization (we don't want any babies.) My main concerns are insertion (does it hurt?), serious side effects (perforation of the uterus, for example), and taking a long time for my body to get used to it (I currently use birth control continuously so I don't have periods often and I don't want them!) Other than that, though, it sounds great! Any reviews would be appreciated.

Also, my doctor does the insertion while you are on your period because she said it is easier. Is that normal?
Christine Nectarine
yes, it's definately normal to insert the mirena during your period because a. it ensures you are not pregnant b. it's easier to insert. that said, although i have the mirena and really like it, you should check with some women who have had it inserted but do not have children, i know that is sometimes not recommended because it is more difficult. from what i do know, the doctor may also give you something to relax your cervix and make the insertion easier.
FYI i noticed a major increase in my sex drive, and also less mood swings since switching from hormonal bc to mirena. i know it's different for everyone tho.
good luck sassy!
dayglowpink
sassy- read through the previous posts on this thread, there are tons of replies to the questions you're asking. Good luck! smile.gif
sassy
Thanks for your guys help. I did read through several pages of this thread, although there is more talk about the copper IUD than the Mirena. I googled Mirena and after several sites of reviews (one whole page by women who got the Mirena and had never had children, like me), I have decided not to get it. Yes, it's cost effective and it would be amazing to not have to worry about birth control for 5 years...there are a few things I am concerned about. 1-Serious complications. One woman had the Mirena perforate her uterus and end up stuck in her intestine! I know this is very rare but I don't want to risk something like that happening just for birth control. 2-Insertion pain. I am by no means a wimp (I have lots of piercings/tattoos...) but a lot of the women who got Mirena and hadn't had a child said the pain of insertion wasn't worth it. 3-Side effects. I have been on birth control for about 5 years and never had any issues, but I've heard a lot of people who have had trouble with Mirena. Maybe I wouldn't have trouble, but between work and school right now, I don't really have time in my life to be feeling crappy for 3-6 months while my body gets used to it.

*Sigh* I was very excited about it, but I guess I'll just wait and maybe in the future it will be a better choice for me.
tree
Hey y'all:
I asked this in the birth-control-pill forum, but I'll ask it here, too (as someone over there suggested):
For the larger part of the last year, I've had some major problems with yeast, as well as general irritation/pain (diagnosed as vestibulitis/focal vulvitis) which may have been partly a result of all the treatment for yeast. At this point, condoms irritate me (physically and they're just annoying) but I'm confused about what else might work. I have heard that both the pill and IUDs can cause some problems re: yeast, but I'm wondering if anyone has stories to share (ie. if the pill was bad for yeast, but the IUD is ok... or if the hormonal IUD is bad for yeast but the copper one is ok... etc)
Thanks!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.