Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: iud reviews?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
humanist77
sanshi, i freaked out too after I got my copper T, because I couldn't feel the strings at first. I'm pretty sure that was only because my cervix and surrounding tissues were really swollen for a few days after the procedure, so the strings just got lost in there. But after a week or so, it went down and I found them easily.

It's easiest to find them right before, during or after your period, when your cervix is at its lowest. Otherwise, bear down (like you're taking a dump) so your cervix is pushed downwards. good luck!

Mine has been pretty good lately-it'll be 2 years in June. My cramps are manageable and I think the amount of blood each month has leveled off. Still a lot more than before I had an IUD, but not nearly as much as the beginning. This has by far been the best form of BC I've ever had. As long as things keep going smoothly, I'll definitely keep mine in until I can get health insurance for Essure.
sanshigirl
My period is about to start soon so I did feel a bit of a sharp pain the other day while getting out of bed but still I think I'm a bit lucky as it hasn't been intolerable.

I'm just still scared that it's gonna somehow fall out because so far things are going a bit too well.

Thanks again for the info y'all!
bright_eyes
Hello all!

Im new to this forum but so very glad ive found this thread! Ive been toying with the idea of getting an IUD and decided to go for the plunge as BC pills turn me in to something resembling the gruffalo on a bad day. Tomorrow is the big day! eeeeek!

I have many curiosities about having intercourse with the coil, im worried the BF will feel it or knock it out of place. We do get a little adventurous and some times rough. Im also concerned ill be put off naughties forever and when I finally succumb to advances it will hurt like hell.

Can anyone be so kind as to put my mind at rest?

Thanx smile.gif

xxx
Persiflager
Hi bright_eyes!

My boyfriend can feel the strings slightly if we have sex during my period (as that's when the cervix is lowest), but I don't think it's possible for the IUD to be knocked out of place. I felt well enough to attempt intercourse about a week after I had it fitted, and I did find deep penetration uncomfortable (induced cramping). We avoided doggy-style for a few weeks and stuck to me being on top so that I could control depth. About a month after I'd had it fitted, everything was fine.

Good luck!
Taintedvampyre
Please pardon my "noob-ish" questions.
I've considered getting an IUD, I just have a few questions.
If anybody can help me out, that would be great! smile.gif
Had anybody experienced any kind of weight gain while with their IUD? That would be my concern, next to winding up getting pregnant.
Thank you for these reviews, as much as I'm worried about what the crampings are going to feel like, I just don't want the hassle of having to constantly deal with my birth control.
Has anybody known somebody to get pregnant even when they had an IUD?
People talk about 'fittings', how does this procedure go?

(I haven't talked to my nurse yet about this, I'm just hoping for a heads up on what to expect before I ask her most of the same questions)
zoya
hi Taintedvampyre -

read back through the archives of this thread, myself and a few others have given detailed accounts of our experiences getting fitted with an IUD. most of us wrote them really soon after we'd been fitted, so they're definitely first hand accounts, rather than something we vaguely remember now.

I still get some cramping with my periods, but after 6 months of having it in, it's getting less and less every month.

if you don't have an IUD that has hormones, I don't see why you'd gain weight with one, I dont' know anyone who has.

hope this helps

turbojenn
Tainted - Zoya's right - read back a few pages for our fitting experiences...I'll say that while getting it inserted wasn't fun, it beats the hell out of the ups & downs of taking BC. You shouldn't have any weight gain with a copper IUD. I'm on month 7 with my IUD, and while I've had much more intense cramping and longer cycles with the IUD, things are getting a bit better each month, and I'm down to about 2 days where I need to take meds for cramping, and I expect in a few months, things will level out. Sexually, all has been well with the IUD, better than well, actually, since I no longer need to worry about forgetting to take the pill. smile.gif
miss-e
I've had a Mirena for (exactly!) 2 years... I'm one of the lucky ones who had very little pain/discomfort during insertion. The doctor who inserted it was amazing...I went to a nearby university clinic where new doctors are starting to practice, so a couple of other new (female!) doctors were observing.
I felt a bit crampy and bloated for a few days afterwards, it never was as bad as a full-on PMS attack though. The best thing is that I ended up with no periods at all (just occasional spotting!)
I was a bit worried about the hormones as the pill had caused weight gain & loss of sex drive, luckily this didn't happen with the Mirena (either due to different hormones, or a much smaller amount of them)
Some things that might be better with the copper IUD would be: lower price, no hormones, and a longer life span (of the IUD that is!)
My mom was a bit concerned as she remembers the horrors of the Dalkon Shield in the '70s... but then again even the pill was pretty dangerous then, the hormone levels in it were insanely high! It's like a whole generation of women were birth control guinea pigs (lab mice/rats?)
anonymoose96
I am considering a IUD because I'm tired of the pill killing my sex drive. Unfortunately prior to hormonal birth control I was very prone to cramps of doom that left me curled up in a ball trying not to vomit for at least 2 days each month. I'm kind of afraid of trying the copper IUD for that reason because I have heard that it increases cramping and bleeding. However, I'm also concerned that the Mirena IUD may still affect my sex drive since it does contain hormones, although a smaller amount. Also, I have never had children so that puts me at higher risk for expulsion.

Has anyone here been in one or all of these positions (which ones)? If so, what was your experience with the IUD, what kind did you get, etc?

Thanks in advance!!!!
dayglowpink
anonymoose96- I would suggest you read through the whole thread. There are lots of posts that relate to the questions you are asking. I have the copper IUD and love it. I haven't heard anything about the Mirena affecting sex drive. The hormones are at a very low dose, so I think it would be unlikely, but I guess it would depend on the person. If you had a tendency to get very bad cramps, the Mirena might be a better choice for you. But read through the thread and see what you think.
anonymoose96
QUOTE(dayglowpink @ Aug 17 2009, 01:00 AM) *
anonymoose96- I would suggest you read through the whole thread. There are lots of posts that relate to the questions you are asking. I have the copper IUD and love it. I haven't heard anything about the Mirena affecting sex drive. The hormones are at a very low dose, so I think it would be unlikely, but I guess it would depend on the person. If you had a tendency to get very bad cramps, the Mirena might be a better choice for you. But read through the thread and see what you think.

I did browse several pages but found that often no one specified if they were nulliparous or what type of IUD they had. I was just hoping for situation specific advice.
mumblestutter
hey moose! i understand your dilemma. it took me alot of reading to feel confident i was informed enough to make a decision about getting my iud. i have to second dayglow - this thread is tremendously helpful. i also spent alot of time lurking around on livejournal. they have a very useful community at http://community.livejournal.com/iud_divas.

as you noted there are a couple of major flaws with both communities - often it's impossible to figure out a woman's age & whether or not she's ever been pregnant from the posting alone. also, there's the "word of mouth" problem. when people are unhappy about something (be it their iud or service at a local restaurant) they're going to talk about it ALOT more. many, MANY posts on the topic are scary, written by women who are worried that something is going wrong. it's really easy to be overwhelmed reading posts by people who have had uncomfortable or unhappy experiences. also, there are very few long term updates.

personally, i've never been pregnant, have had my copper iud for almost exactly 2 years now & am totally happy with it. i don't feel the need to talk about it much, but i do encourage friends who are curious or mention not pleased with their form of birth control to look into iuds.
sanshigirl
Hello again everyone!

I'm just checking in to give an update on my experience. I missed a period in July and it was so nice and freeing but that didn't last as it came back this month with a slight vengeance as the spotting continued for longer than my normal period. However, no bad cramps or fever so I haven't gone to the doctor. But I haven't had my follow-up yet so I need to go for that but my doctor didn't give me a certain date to do that by and I've been busy. The strings are still there so I feel no need to worry.

I have never been pregnant if that helps you anonymoose96 but I was just informed by the bf that he wants us to plan on having a baby sooner than in 5 years so I'll prob be taking my Mirena out in 3 years or so. I had pretty mild cramps before the Mirena so the cramps i got after insertion were uncomfortable on my pain scale but not intolerable.

My biggest worry is that because I've never been pregnant that my uterus will reject the IUD and "spit" it out. I've even had dreams about it. sad.gif I just hit the 3 month mark where another poster said her's was expelled which has increased my worries. I'll try to update after I go to the doc/finish month 4.

dayglowpink
I have been pregnant twice and had abortions both times. The nurse practitioner who inserted my IUD said that possibly could have made the insertion slightly easier, but it probably wouldn't have a huge effect. I've had mine for about 3 years, and I've never had any problems. Well, I take that back, my boyfriend would complain sometimes that he could feel the strings. When I went for a checkup with my gyn, she mentioned that the ends of the strings had tied themselves in a knot. That was probably what he was feeling. She snipped the knot off, and I don't think it's been a problem since.
zoya
anonymoose - I have a copper T, never been pregnant. I had it inserted in January of this year (so I've had it in 8 months) No problems with it at all. Yes, it increased flow and cramping, but that's getting less and less every month. Especially the cramping. My flow is still pretty heavy compared to how it used to be (I used to have super light periods) but the cramping is much reduced from the first couple months. (not going to lie, the cramping was pretty yucky the first couple months) hope that helps.
emilaweasel
Hey all, I just found this forum last night. I have had a Para Guard copper IUD for 3 months now. I have never been pregnant. I had bad, bad experiences with hormonal birth control a.k.a. the horrible emotional PMS 24/7 anxiety monster that some ladies have been describing. So I opted for the copper IUD and for the most part have been really happy-- I absolutely love that I can have sex with no preparation, no worries and no fucking condoms!! Lately though I have been having cramps throughout the month, which I was pretty much told to expect, but also intense achey joint pain in my hips. I'm 19 and I don't have any history of this pain.

Also, I am wondering if anyone else who is using the copper IUD has experienced PMSy emotional instability increasing after insertion. I konw that the no hormone bc is not supposed to fuck with your moods as much, but I wonder if it can give me cramps at random times of the month if that can't somehow translate into other symptoms of PMS. I've had a lot going on lately, and it's entirely possible that this is just the stress of my outside life playing on my body, but I thought I'd send out a call and see if I got any responses. Thanks!
anonymoose96
Thank you for the advice. I talked to my planned parenthood doctor and have an appointment for November to get Mirena insert it. I'm nervous but I think the long term benefits will outweigh the pain of the first month or two.
angie_21
QUOTE(emilaweasel @ Aug 29 2009, 10:28 AM) *
I konw that the no hormone bc is not supposed to fuck with your moods as much, but I wonder if it can give me cramps at random times of the month if that can't somehow translate into other symptoms of PMS.

There wouldn't be any physical reason for the copper t to make you feel irritable or pms-y. The cramps happen because you have a foreign object in your uterus, and the copper is meant to be irritating (its part of how it prevents pregnacy, since your uterus won't implant an egg when it's that irritated) and it's not specifically related to your menstrual cycle. But I know when I feel crampy, that in itself is enough to make me really grumpy.
emilaweasel
QUOTE(angie_21 @ Aug 30 2009, 01:10 PM) *
There wouldn't be any physical reason for the copper t to make you feel irritable or pms-y. The cramps happen because you have a foreign object in your uterus, and the copper is meant to be irritating (its part of how it prevents pregnacy, since your uterus won't implant an egg when it's that irritated) and it's not specifically related to your menstrual cycle. But I know when I feel crampy, that in itself is enough to make me really grumpy.

That makes sense. I thought, "how convenient if I can attribute my shitty mood to my IUD!" But alas, there are no quick fixes for these things sometimes. I'm feeling a bit better now anyhow, which is good! Cramps are a major major downer. How abotu fatigue? Any correlation to anyones knowledge?
turbojenn
Emila - I think in general your cycle can make you fatigued - I know there's always one day mid cycle, where I want a nap more than anything...but nothing to do with the IUD.

I'm 7 months post-insertion...and now 3 weeks late for my period - EEEeeeek! I'm freaking out just a tad, but hoping this is just the adjustment to the last lingering hormonal BD residue leaving my bod. Anybody else experienced longer times between cycles post-IUD? I was on BCPs for 17 years, so it makes sense that it might take my bod a little time to learn to regulate on its own.
Alison21
Hey I got my Iud insterted about a month ago. It was the most pain I have ever been in. I thought something was wrong because it hurt so bad. I waited it out and the next day I felt better but still a lot of cramping. I have never had a baby so this probably has alot to do with it. After about two weeks I could have sex and it was fine. I just got my period last week and it was much heavier and alot of cramping the first two days. It has been about four days now and there is no cramping and it is pretty much over. I think next month it will be pretty much normal since it wasn't too bad this time. Over all I like it but I will never forget the first day I was like get this thing out of me!
Alison21
QUOTE(emilaweasel @ Aug 29 2009, 12:28 PM) *
Hey all, I just found this forum last night. I have had a Para Guard copper IUD for 3 months now. I have never been pregnant. I had bad, bad experiences with hormonal birth control a.k.a. the horrible emotional PMS 24/7 anxiety monster that some ladies have been describing. So I opted for the copper IUD and for the most part have been really happy-- I absolutely love that I can have sex with no preparation, no worries and no fucking condoms!! Lately though I have been having cramps throughout the month, which I was pretty much told to expect, but also intense achey joint pain in my hips. I'm 19 and I don't have any history of this pain.

Also, I am wondering if anyone else who is using the copper IUD has experienced PMSy emotional instability increasing after insertion. I konw that the no hormone bc is not supposed to fuck with your moods as much, but I wonder if it can give me cramps at random times of the month if that can't somehow translate into other symptoms of PMS. I've had a lot going on lately, and it's entirely possible that this is just the stress of my outside life playing on my body, but I thought I'd send out a call and see if I got any responses. Thanks!

After I got my paraguard inserted before I started getting really crampy I was crying uncontrolably for no reason. I could not stop. I think it was just because I was alittle freaked out and scared.
jenn62983
I am glad I found this Forum.... I am 26, and have had 1 baby, he is 14 months old now.... I have deceided to get the Paraguard Copper IUD bc of it having no hormones.... I am scared to death... my appt is at 3:30 today.... any advice?
mumblestutter
Just relax. ( and take some ibuprofen before you go!)

what you'll feel when it's over with will be like intense cramping, so breath deep & avoid tensing your muscles smile.gif
zoya
what mumblestutter said, and read back thru the archives of this thread. a bunch of us have given our accounts of getting an iud inserted and what it was (and has been) like afterwards. it helped me a lot in my decision to get one to read people's experiences with it.

good luck! it's the best thing I've ever done in terms of BC. wish I'd done it years ago!!!

jenn62983
I did read through this thread, I understood that it would be a little pain, but the thought of no hormones and no bc for 10 if i wanted was sounding like a good trade. so even though there was going to be pain and cramping... I still wanted to get the paragard IUD. I went to the Dr yesterday after work to get this inserted. It was painful.... but they could not get the IUD inserted. They said my uterus was tilted and they couldnt get it in. My other option is to come back and they will sedate me and put it in, but still wouldnt guarantee that they could get it in.... I think I will just look up other bc options.... I am very disappointed, bc I went through some pain... and there was NO RESULT sad.gif Thankyou all for posting here, if they could have inserted it, it would have been worth it....
zoya
yeah that's what the dr that inserted my iud said, that the only two worries that they have with inserting are a uterus that is tipped so much that they can't get a good angle to get it in, or a cervix that is just to tight to open. I'd definitely try it again if you can, to me, the insertion and all the things like cramping and heavier period (both of which have gotten immensely better over the course of time) are completely worth it.
dayglowpink
That just happened to a friend of mine the other day, too. They weren't able to get her Mirena in and said that it was because of her tipped uterus. Also her cervix was very tight. She said they used some kind of small speculum to try to open the cervix, and it was pretty painful. She is going back to try again with the dr using an ultrasound. I guess that allows the dr to see it as they go along and hopefully guide it in better. Maybe you could check with other dr's offices to see if there is one that offers that service.
mumblestutter
sorry to hear that jenn. having your uterus sounded & then walking away without the iud sounds unpleasant & frustrating. I'm sure there are different degrees & directions a uterus can tilt. that said my uterus is tilted and i had a standard insertion without any sedation or complications.

my gynecologist also said loves iuds and has spent alot of time learning about them. iuds are still very uncommon in this country & are pretty pretty stigmatized. the few women who do have them get them inserted once every several years. with insertions being infrequent & few, i'm sure it's possible that even an experienced, caring dr might not be an iud insertion expert. if you're still interested in getting an iud, it might be worth looking for a dr who has a lot of experience with iuds.

either way, good luck finding a birth control method that works for you smile.gif
sweetest85
hi everyone,
i'm getting the IUD fitted soon. alittle worried if i will put on weight as i am already over weight and need to lose it off. has anyone lost any waight with the IUD.
i have just had my second child and need a good source of contraception and after lots of reserch i think this is the best one for me.
my periods are very short only last for 2 to 3 days and are not heavy at all.
not sure what to do plz help
zoya
if you're just getting the copper T, nothing should change, as there are no hormones in it. I can't speak for the one with hormones, as I have the copper T.
lux
I don't know where else to ask about IUD's, so maybe you can help me. I would like to switch from Nuvaring to a copper IUD. The problem is, I was put on hormonal BC three years ago because of my raging PMS (two weeks of depression, tired and problems with concentration, plus all the physical stuff, bloating, sore breast etc. every month). It has helped with that, though I still get some of that. It seems to be getting worse again.

The problem I have with the hormones, is that regulating my blood glucose levels (type 1 diabetes), has gotten more difficult. I am also getting a bit paranoid about the blood clotting, since on top of the diabetes, I also have migraines. Though I have had less of those after the Nuvaring. My sex drive has also been much lower, than what I'm used to, and I feel less energetic that I used to be (on the two first weeks of my cycle that is). I don't think chancing the brand would hekp, because I can't even remember to take my insulin on time, and the ring is supposedly the lowest on hormone levels.

So there are some benefits for me on staying on the hormonal. But I would like to have more regular blood glucose levels, and lose weight, and get my sex drive back. I'm just really scared of the PMS, so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience on having a horrible PMS and having an IUD? Also if any of you have experience on treating PMS (or more like PMDD) with acupuncture, I would love to hear your experiences. I am contemplating putting the money I'm now using on the ring to acupuncture. Also if you have a link to another thread on acu and PMS, that would be great too.
zoya
if by PMS you mean cramps- then YES. I never used to have cramps before, and they were hellacious for the first few months. That said, I've had my IUD for a year now, and I am pretty much back to normal - no cramps, just a bit of a heavier period. It took about 6 -8 months for the cramps every month to subside, but they got less and less every month. And they only lasted for a couple days. As far as the other symptoms, no change- there are no hormones to affect your PMS so your body is just doing what it would normally do. The only reason there is a change with cramping and bleeding is that there is something (the IUD) physically in there.
lux
I have cramps now as well, and I'm not too worried about that and possible heavier bleeding. I don't bleed much, even without the extra hormones. I kind of figured a bit of extra cramps will weigh less as a negative, than the affect from the hormones. I'm mainly worried about the mood swings will return. And I guess they will. I'll keep searching for the PMS/acupuncture info:)
Thanks
missladyj
lux,I have mirena which is a hormonal IUD and have had it for about a year. My periods are lighter than when I am not on birth control. Cramping is okay .I find that my cramping is more related to my caffeine consumption more than anything else. I hope you find something that works for you.
lux
missladyj - I'm thinking my PMS could now be better than 3 years ago, because I'm in different place now, and I have the energy to look into things like exercise, caffeine consumption and all that. I hope that it will help. I'm by no means against using hormones if they help, I'm just not sure if that's what's best for my body right now.

I've been looking into the whole hormones and blood glucose combination. I think I'll go with copper first. It cheaper, and if it turns out to be horrible, which I doubt that it will be, I'll try Mirena. I'm not very pleased with the ring right now, even though it's not all bad. I'm getting increasingly worried that it's not effective, because I'm not very good at putting it back in on time after my "period".

I'm just bad at making these kinds of decisions, so now I'm running around asking advise from everyone smile.gif
zoya
lux - if you haven't already, I'd suggest going back through the archives of this thread. Several of us have posted our accounts of getting the IUD inserted, most of us right after getting it done, so it was fresh in our memories. This thread is really what tipped the scale for me in terms of deciding to go for it. The info and experiences in the archives are dead on, and helped me know exactly what to expect.
dayglowpink
I had the same experience as zoya with the cramps. I don't get cramps at all anymore (or very rarely), and I've had my Paraguard for about 4 years. I do get HORRIBLE mood swings with my PMS, though! The Paraguard doesn't have any effect on that, unfortunately. I would also suggest that you look through the archives of this thread.
lux
I've been reading the archive. Still not finished, a lot of good info. I've also been reading IUD Divas, which has been helpful. It's good to know that I'm not the only one without kids who is interested in this. Here it seems to mainly recommended for those who have given birth.

I've bought all kinds of supplements the doctors recommend for PMS and I'll give those another chance. With higer dose than last time. Maybe I should look into meditation while I'm at it.

Thanks!
missladyj
lux, I don't have kids and when I first wanted to get birth control my doctor first suggest and IUD. I decided against it and went on the pill but eventually switched to the IUD. I am really happy with it. The insertion was not so bad. Let us know what you decide.
lapis
Hi ladies, I got my paragard about a month ago. the first period was weird--I started spotting about a week before my period and then had a full on fountain for a couple of days. I cramped before the period but the actual bleed was not uncomfortable. My big concern now, being paranoid, is about adhesions. How would you know if you had them or were getting them? Would they be painful? And would you have to have a d/c to take care of them later? Any ideas? Also, of course, I can't feel the strings but did during my period. I think it's still in there but would hate to have to wait weeks to find them again. I've tried putting up one leg and bearing down. I guess squatting might help. Any other ideas? Thanks!
zoya
lapis -

I couldn't feel the strings for awhile, but I do now, sometimes they just kinda move around and until you're used to finding them, you miss 'em. I'm sure it's in there, don't freak out too much - and if you can't find them and are worried, you can always go in and get it checked. The full on fountain of a period is totally normal from what I know - I certainly had it. I was like a geyser until about the 3rd - 4th month and then they started to taper off a bit. I've had my copper T for a year and my periods are much less heavy now, although heavier than they used to be (I had super light periods, so now I guess I have what you'd call a "normal" period) and no cramps at all. I don't know about adhesions, but you sound like you're just having a normal experience (if you read thru the archives, I had just about exactly the same thing go on - loads of blood and I couldn't find the strings!)
lapis
Thanks for the reassurance, zoya. I think the whole thing is pretty normal. I like to think of the exceptions and tend to worry about what could go wrong, but it seems so much better than being on the pill, risking pregnancy with condoms, or anything else available. I keep wondering why they aren't so popular in the US and think it must have something to do with drug companies (pills cost so much more and have paid so much in ads) or even pro-lifers. To look at iud use globally it makes me feel like they should be endorsed by doctors more here. Also, I got mine placed through planned parenthood and was so grateful for their years of experience. The administrative folks all had them and the midwife really enjoys placing them. I think they all knew what they were doing, and wonder how often regular doctors place them...
zoya
I think the reason that they're not as widely used in the US is that back in the 70's (or maybe early 80's??) there was an IUD called the Dalkon Shield that caused severe infections and I believe maybe a couple deaths. This IUD was a new shape and only used in the US. The design was really shitty - parts of it tended to embed in the uterus, it caused endometriosis, the strings were faulty and held bacteria, leading to severe pelvic infections, etc. There was a lawsuit and a huge settlement over it. So I think that in the US, there was a whole paranoia about ALL iud's, and a lot of misinformation - causing all IUD's to get a bad rap. Sucks, cause the Copper T has never been shown to cause any kinda of issues, and it's been used hugely worldwide in the years prior and since the Dalkon Shield incident, with really no issues. (can you tell I did my homework before getting it? haha!) It's always been used in the UK and Europe, I know for sure, since that's where I got mine (UK) and when they came out with the hormonal one, that's been used really successfully since as well.

It seems to me that they're kind of making a comeback in the US among younger women, or maybe it's just me and my friends who are all about the IUD... I LOVE it. I wish I'd done it years ago. I love the idea of 10 years of birth control without doing anything, and no hormones involved. I think I've actually gotten more horny since I got it, mainly cause I know I can't get pregnant! I just can't wait til I have a long term partner where we can eventually go bareback and I don't have to worry!!!
humanist77
hey all,
I've had a Paragard for almost 3 years now and really loved in until recently, despite the normal heavier periods and death cramps-it's worth it for nearly fail-proof, long term bc with no hormonal side effects. Which is why I'm worried that I might have developed bacterial vaginosis from it..the past several months, there's a smell so foul and strong that I can smell it fully clothed, in a standing position. It seems to permeate all around me, really. A rather farty, rotting fish smell. It's present mostly towards the end of my period and the week after.
I hope it won't have to come out if it is bv, but it probably will. I've found many accounts from other Paragard users who've had problems with bv after having the IUD for a few years and ended up getting it removed, as I'm guessing there's no alternative. It would make sense that an object that stays in-utero for many years might be a risk for infection.

That said, there are many women who have great experiences to the end with an IUD, so I'm not posting this to warn anyone necessarily, but to give caution to those especially who already have chronic vaginal infection issues-there's a lot of info that shows the IUD tends to make things worse.
dayglowpink
humanist- I've had some similar issues at times with odor. I was tested for BV, and my doc said I didn't have it. She prescribed boric acid suppositories which I had to get at a special compounding pharmacy. They really help to rebalance my vaginal pH. The odor is probably caused by your vagina becoming too basic. Both semen and your menstrual cycle cause this to happen. I try to use the boric acid stuff on a regular basis, after having sex and towards the end of my period. It has really helped me. You also might want to consider taking a probiotic supplement like Femdophilus or some other brand.
humanist77
that may be the case, dayglow-I hope so! Isn't boric acid poisonous? I used it to kill roaches in my last apt-there were warning labels all over it about not getting it on your skin or inhaling it-is it safe in the vadge? I definitely get odorous for a few days if the boy cums inside-I actually think I'm allergic to the stuff.
I do have femdophilus-I should just take it everyday as a preventative measure, but I tend to take it when things get gross cuz the stuff is so expensive.
So does the copper in the Paragard make it basic?
thanks for your input!
dayglowpink
I do not know if it's the copper or if it's even the IUD or just my natural reaction to things. I can't even remember if I used to have the problem at all before I had the IUD. Yes, boric acid is poisonous to roaches, etc. Apparently it's safe for the vagina, though! I had even heard before of people making their own capsules with it and inserting it, but I was too scared to do that, so I preferred to go the pharmacy route. I would definitely recommend talking to your doc about it. It has helped me so much. That smell was driving me crazy. My advice about using the suppositories is to put it in at night and wear some kind of pantyliner the next day. It dissolves inside your vagina, and then kinda comes out the next day when you're up and about.
mumblestutter
my gyno told me after she inserted my paragard, that she has the same kind and loves it smile.gif

also, zoya's totally right - dalkon shield was a fiasco and really stigmatized iuds in this country. (which is ironic b/c the futuristic-man-scientist mentality that created the device without any regard for female physiology continues to erode at a much slower rate.)

I really need to bookmark things because I can neither find the article I had that did a great job of explaining WHY dalkon shield was so dumb. Nor the website that was an essentially a museum of contraceptive devices. But just look at the copper t and the dalkon shield side by side. there's a reason why there hasn't been another iud that looks like dalkon shield before or since.

turbojenn
Humanist - definitely do a daily probiotic - I'm also putting a splotch of cider vinegar in a glass of water every morning and drinking that to help balance the PH.

I've had several UTIs in the last year since getting the IUD, and just saw a new acupuncturist specializing in allergies this week and guess what? I'm allergic to copper! Wooo. So my adrenal exhaustion and horrid allergies in the last year may be from the IUD. fuck. So, I'm back to nudging turbomann toward the vasectomy, and he's still not on board. I'm so frustrated. Ultimatum time is approaching once again. No vas - no sex. I'm allergic to condoms, too, so it's time for him to MAN UP. Gah. I'll let y'all know how this one settles out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.