Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corn Cob Up My Ass: Pet Peeves 7
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The F-Word
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
culturehandy
Word lilac.

cob: People who think their lives are meaningless without a partner. I have a friend like this and I'm getting sick and tired of her obsessing over meeting the one. get some fucking confidence.

this is a super cob, as I think I just mentioned it last week.
anna k
cob: People who think their lives are meaningless without a partner. I have a friend like this and I'm getting sick and tired of her obsessing over meeting the one. get some fucking confidence.

I'm not even interested in dating right now. I'm content with my job and writing stuff for Venuszine.com and keeping busy with various things. I don't have much patience for dating.
coela

minor cob: People who have to make jokes and excuses about
the cigarettes they buy in the store, like "and a pack of poison sticks".
If you're going to smoke, you might as well enjoy it, and NOT make your
confessions to the shop assistant who is likely tired of cancer stick jokes
and doesn't give a flying fuck about what you buy anyway.

medium cob: Women I don't know who touch my arm all the time while talking.
If we are not on intimate friendly terms, hands off my body!
And even if we are on intimate friendly terms, arm touching will be
kept to a minimum if I can have my say.

major cob: Women who compulsory mention calories if they are offered
anything more fattening than a tablespoon of quinoa. Here's a suggestion:
if you're going to eat it anyway, don't bitch about it. If you're not going to
eat it, don't bitch about it. Just Say No.

lilacwine13
I hate it when people talk about how many calories something has too. It isn't just the women, I have a couple of male coworkers who complain about the calorie content of anything besides a carrot stick.

Polly, I know men use euphemisms too, my (male) boss likes to loudly announce when he's "going to the potty." I just forgot because he didn't say it today. Yes, it's a weird office, and yes, that does get annoying. dry.gif
snarky7
funny lilac! does your boss have kids? that's what i say about the bathroom - i don't announce it however... ha ha. maybe someday i'll grow up.

new COB: other people who don't TRY to criticize you but no matter how hard they try, absolutely 100% of what they say completely offends you. tonight, i couldn't win with this gal. her offhand comments tonight about my son, my situation (divorced, share custody), my shopping habits (come on, it was scrapbooking stuff!)....wow, i just can barely get over it.
lilacwine13
Yep, snarky, he has three kids. Maybe someday I'll understand it, but even as a kid I never liked euphemisms.

And I think your friend is the head of my department at work. Every time I talk to her I walk away feeling like I said or did something wrong.
damona
*hanging head* i almost always say "potty" my only excuse is that i have 4 kids and don't get out much!

COB: people who glare at me and my kids at a dr's office. i know that watching a 5 year old bang his head against the wall is annoying, lady, but trust me, the ear-shattering screams that would result from me trying to make him stop would be much, much worse!
hellotampon
People who are stingy about tipping. We went out to eat tonight at a fairly nice restaurant and the waiter was totally understanding and cooperative about finding things on the menu to feed 5 vegans- he had to go to the kitchen like 10 times to find things out for us. And we were already not ordering any drinks or coffee, so the bill wasn't working in his favor either. I said we should leave a good tip and my friend's sister totally stiffed him.

I'm always adding a disproportionate amount of money to the table after everyone leaves when I go to restaurants. If you can't afford or don't want to leave a decent tip then don't eat out. It pisses me off so much.
edie52
Hellotampon, yes! I'm the same way. Both my ex and my current boyfriend are a bit stingy in that department- they'll say something like "s/he didn't do anything." Um, yes, motherf%#*ker, s/he did, and besides that they have to pay taxes on the food sales and often have to tip out the busboy, kitchen, or even the management. I try to explain this calmly, though I often end up making up for it with my own money. Working as a waitress sustained me for about 4 years, so it's a sensitive subject.
dj-bizmonkey
i have to third this cob as well. i think that everyone should be required to work in food/service at some point in their lives. at least 15% people, it's only a few extra bucks! not to mention your server is making $2.13 an hour (or has it gone up?) if you don't tip. i think stingy people in general are annoying. it's always more fun and rewarding to share the wealth!
deschatsrouge
I also tip hotel maids, in a generous manner, as I used to be one.
dj-bizmonkey
cob:men who don't take 'no' for an answer. i'm just walking down the street, minding my own freakin' business. you say hello to me, i say hello back, to be polite, not because i have any interest in sleeping with you. leave me the fuck alone!
lilacwine13
I always tip hotel maids too, even if I did have the Do Not Disturb sign out. I used to clean rooms too, know how hard they work, and how little they make.

D-J, in certain states the wait staff makes minimum wage, but they're still expected to get tipped. It's still pretty shitty pay, IMO.
dusty
I forget to tip in hotels half the time. Pisses me off.
treehugger
blink.gif oh, geez...I've always considered myself a generous tipper but I didn't ever hear of tipping hotel housekeeping! How does one do it? I mean, is there some sort of signal that, "this is a tip I am leaving you, not just money I didn't take with me today in my shopping?"...in a multiple day stay where they're in the room several days in a row?

Damn...I feel bad.
dusty
I'm guessing that if you left a pile of cash on a bedside table in a hotel, you likely wouldn't find it there when you got back, but you can put it in an envelope with 'housekeeping' written on the outside. Sometimes, the envie is even provided for you. Or you can leave it when you check out, but then you might not get everyone who worked on your room.

Dogshit on the sidewalk. Everywhere. All the time.
coela

People who give you gifts or do you a favour you didn't ask for
with an ulterior motive, so that you "owe" them later on.
I've known some people who always had someone who "owed"
them to translate their entire thesis, do all the dishes at a
party for 50 people or whatever else they came up with.

Most recent example was a guy who think I "owed" him to feed
and bathe his iguana every day everytime he left town just
because he signed a paper for me once, and answered 1 call.
It wasn't illegal and didn't make him liable for anything,
I just needed his signature and for him to vouch for me.

I thought that was pretty shitty, to trade in 5 minutes work
& responsibility for about 5 hours on my part, and then expect
me to do it every time he felt like going away for a few days.
Plus, the damn lizard scratched my boobs every fucking time
I had to pick it up! Iguana-induced boob scratches = mega cob.

deschatsrouge
When I tip hotel housekeeping, I strip the bed first and leave a 15% tip based on hotel cost for each day I spent on the bare mattress. If you wanted to tip daily you could leave a 15% per night cost tip on the middle of the bed with a note saying "for the housekeeper."
lilacwine13
According to this site, anywhere from five to nine dollars is acceptable.

I feel cheap, usually I just leave five dollars altogether, but I'm basing this off of getting tipped that amount (or less) for a $150 a night hotel room. sad.gif And I just leave the money on a desk or night stand since I lock the room before I hand the key in, I figure that nobody else is going to be entering the room besides the housekeeper.

Cob: Having the water shut off in my apartment without warning. dry.gif
konphusion26
COB: People who work as receptionists or administrative staff in offices that have FUNKY azz attitudes. Get some people skills! If I'm being pleasant and respectful to you, dont give me your assitude. Thank you.

Double COB: Being given the run-around at the university. Get yall's shyt together please. I dont have time or energy to be running all over the damn world because YALL are unorganized. Geez. I've been away from there 5 yrs and nothing has changed.
mornington
the assumption that all heterosexual sex is somehow a form of rape *head/desk*

doctor's receptionists who are horrible because you've asked for an appointment asap. Just because I don't have plague doesn't mean I'm not ill.

exceeding your overdraft charges.

the student loans company.
mornington
crappy furniture
snarky7
QUOTE(mornington @ Apr 6 2008, 05:50 PM) *
the student loans company.

AMEN to that! OMG, they *so* suck. Adding to that COB: How you can pay your stupid student loans for 10 years and see barely ANY difference in the total owed.... tongue.gif
zora
People pressuring me to watch Battlestar Galactica. All the pressure makes me want to not watch it. Also, I have the first two seasons sitting on my coffee table and they have been for a year now. If I wanted to watch it, I would have. Back off assholes.

ETA: I work as a pastry chef and I have to hear the customers walk up to the counter and every other day some fat middle aged woman says "And there's no calories, right? HA HA HAHA" and I can't laugh any more. Buy the dessert, eat it, enjoy it and if you are really that goddamned concerned about calories, don't buy another for a week or something. Stupid stupid stupid.
culturehandy
Mind games and mind fucking. Asshole, if you want to play a game, get together with a 10 year old and play monopoly, or checkers, or fucking battleship okay? I'm grown up and tired of the bullshit!
anna k
zora: I like the actors, characters and writing of Battlestar Galactica, but don't pay much attention to the show. I like to have it on in the background if it's on to watch various scenes. Same with Firefly. Both shows I respect, but I never got into sci-fi.

Ugh. "No calories right, huh huh huh." Bleeecccch. Eat half or make it yourself.
damona
cob: stupid banks and their f'in zillion dollars in charges for going 0.20 over what you had in there. i hate banks. if it wasn't for direct deposit income tax returns we wouldn't even bother having one.
angiepoo
It's nice to know people do think of tipping housekeepers and not just restaurant staff.
I still work as work as housekeeper, and hardly ever get tips, but it totally makes my day when someone leaves a few bucks.
It always bugged be when you know they tip in the bar for a $5 drink but won't leave an extra dollar for cleaning their shit (sometimes literally) behind them.Especially when they've stayed for a few days and everyday day they want the room cleaned and it's a complete disaster.
I think it's because the guests don't always see us and think their room is cleaned by invisible fairies that magically appear as soon as they leave.
Cob to myself for being to insecure to look for a new job.
zora
Cob: Vegans who come into my work that does not specialize in vegan food and then complain that there's not enough vegan food. Same goes for gluten/wheat free/sugar free/any other special diet thing. We carry a few vegan/wheat free items but not a ton because we don't specialize in any one thing. There's places that do. Quit your bitching.
kinkaju
People (usually older women) who ask if I have children and when I say I don't they give me that "sly" look and say shit like, "Ohhh not yet right? <fake friendly laugh> "Oh honey you will some day"
I wish I could say to them, "Well unless you're willing to pay for them, fuck off"
lilacwine13
Cob: Internet pages that only work on one type of web browser. I don't want to switch between two different ones just to read my email.

Cob: Warmer than usual weather. This is fine if you live in a climate where the temperature for the past six months has been below freezing, but not in a climate where it gets extremely hot during the summer, and when it's well over 90 degrees Fahrenheit today. I'm inside and still sweating like crazy.
konphusion26
Cob: bossy, overly chatty, pushy, LOUD-in-public in laws.

went out to lunch with some of the in-laws yesterday, lets just say I was embarrased for like 10 min. Geez.
neurotic.nelly
QUOTE(rudderlesschild @ Apr 11 2008, 03:20 PM) *
Pokey Alameda drivers. It's NOT OK to do 15 in an already-ridiculously-slow 30 mph zone!

*smiles* Yes, I feel you. I always feel like a maniac when I am driving in that town!
deschatsrouge
Cob: Christians trying to save my soul.
Cob: Christians telling me I'm going to hell for being a lesbian.
Cob: Being oppressed.

Anti Cob: Following the platinum rule; Do unto others as they would have you do unto them.
culturehandy
Since the snow has melted, my spring/summer cob is fucking construction. It's driving me fucking bonkers and it's only just started. The two ways for me to get to work both have construction going on!
konphusion26
babysitting!

I love my nieces and nephew but my Lord, do i look like I want to babysit all the dang time? I do have a life ya know and it doesnt include children. Thats why I dont have any! Geez.
culturehandy
20 year old women trying to sell anti aging creams to 50 year old women. I am 25 and I find this hugely offensive, I can't imagine what 50 year old women think. Why oh why can't commercials tell women it's okay to age? Dorks.

Commercials in general just irritate me. In fact, your commercials inspire me NOT to purchase your product.
damona
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Apr 14 2008, 08:17 PM) *
20 year old women trying to sell anti aging creams to 50 year old women. I am 25 and I find this hugely offensive, I can't imagine what 50 year old women think. Why oh why can't commercials tell women it's okay to age? Dorks.

Commercials in general just irritate me. In fact, your commercials inspire me NOT to purchase your product.

culture, i heartily concur! i am so sick of the whole "omg, i have to look like i'm 20 for the rest of my life!" mindset. i just turned 28 and a couple people are like "ohoh... better watch out, you're almost 30!" oh no! what will i do?! whatever.

i feel much the same way about commercials. i am frequently glad i don't have tv. like every time i go to a friends house. or my mom's. i look at the crap that's on and just think "wow, i'm really glad i'm saving that $99 a month"
kinkaju
QUOTE(damona @ Apr 14 2008, 10:25 PM) *
i feel much the same way about commercials.

Me too.

I can't stand mascara commercials. Do they think we're so stupid that we can't tell that the model in the commercial IS WEARING A FULL SET OF FALSE EYELASHES?? I could put freakin black shoe polish on and have the same fake baby-doll looking lashes they have in those commercials.

Or the new trendy chewing gum commercials where it looks like this futuristic matrix-esque world of refreshment where all of your senses can experience nirvana. Like... it's fucking spearmint GUM people.... in a new black package. woooOOOooo

Or the chocolate commercials where the woman looks like she's sneaking, and slowly unwraps the ONE SQUARE of chocolate, gazing at it with romantic desire, and then seductively nips the corner off and acts like she's having this slow full body orgasm. PUH-LEEZ.
Honey, it's just a piece of chocolate! ONE PIECE of chocolate. (I don't orgasm until I eat at least half the bag!) cool.gif

culturehandy
Cob; Nickleback.

What record exec where told this band they had talent?
lilacwine13
Nickelback makes me homicidal; I cannot adequately describe my hatred for them. Thank goodness I got a car with a CD player.

Cob: Overly annoying coworkers who can't seem to shut up.
Cob: Classism and people who don't realize that the things they learned in college aren't always taught to everyone who didn't go to their school.
culturehandy
Country Clubs bother me on a collosal level.

Dog haters at the dog park near my house. If you don't want to encounter a dog, then don't go outside. The off leash park has signage that states such, don't give me grief because you are too much of a moron to not bother reading the sign. there is adequate green space elsewhere. Go there.
dusty
Its even more pathetic when I love Chad Kroeger's voice when he's singing on a Santana cd but I hate every Nickelback song I've ever heard.
anna k
Nickelback makes me homicidal; I cannot adequately describe my hatred for them. Thank goodness I got a car with a CD player.

Figured You out sounds like a date rape song from 2000. Sometimes there are rock songs that I like despite how ridiculous or embarassing they are.
Miss Deena
Stupid people
hellotampon
My biggest cob right now is my mother claiming me as a dependent on her taxes.

I don't live with her. I don't get any money from her, other than the $10 a month she pays to have me on her cell phone plan. I am completely independent from my parents. STOP CLAIMING ME! Because of this I am ineligible for the $600 rebate and I can't get any tuition reimbursed. Not only that, but I can never get financial aid either, because she never surrenders her tax returns. (another cob: I have to wait until I'm 24 before I can apply for financial aid without a parent. Who the hell is rich enough to give their kid money till they're that old??)

So I worked an average of 50 hours a week all 2007, paid my tuition without any federal aid, and what do I get for a refund? $350. fuuuuuuuuck.

Oh and my father still thinks that I live with her, so she gets child support for me.
hoosierman78
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Apr 15 2008, 10:35 PM) *
My biggest cob right now is my mother claiming me as a dependent on her taxes.

I don't live with her. I don't get any money from her, other than the $10 a month she pays to have me on her cell phone plan. I am completely independent from my parents. STOP CLAIMING ME! Because of this I am ineligible for the $600 rebate and I can't get any tuition reimbursed. Not only that, but I can never get financial aid either, because she never surrenders her tax returns. (another cob: I have to wait until I'm 24 before I can apply for financial aid without a parent. Who the hell is rich enough to give their kid money till they're that old??)

So I worked an average of 50 hours a week all 2007, paid my tuition without any federal aid, and what do I get for a refund? $350. fuuuuuuuuck.

Oh and my father still thinks that I live with her, so she gets child support for me.

I'm not sure how the relationship dynamic is with your mother, or if it's worth it to you to cause a potential problem, but there is a form you can fill out with your return (I can't recall the number right now) to 'prove' you provide more than 50% of your own support. If she filed before you, it will probably have to be mailed in & trigger an audit, which I realize is a pain in the ass. It all depends on if you see the trouble of it all to be worth the additional refund - which would be substaintial.

Also, for next year if you're still having this problem, if you can manage to file before she does (preferrably electronically), claim yourself. When she tries to claim you, it will bounce her return, then she'll have to go through the audit, financial support form (with receipts to back it up), etc.

There are ways around the dependency issue, especially when you would have cancelled rent checks/tuition checks that would pretty well make it impossible for her to prove she provided >50% of your support.

As for student aid, if you can get a judge to legally emancipate you (meaning you couldn't get child support from your dad, couldn't be on a parent's health plan, etc), you could apply for financial aid on your own.

This entire post comes with the fairly obvious caveat of possibly creating an irreparable rift between you & your mom.
hellotampon
Thanks for the advice, but like you said, it would piss off my mom and I don't want to deal with all this drama. I'll be 24 next year so I'll probably just suck it up for now.
deschatsrouge
((((Hello))))
dusty
I'm sorry (((Hello))).

That's fraud. But a very personal decision.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.