Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corn Cob Up My Ass: Pet Peeves 7
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The F-Word
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
pollystyrene
Cob: People who think it's acceptable to drive 10 mph under the limit in the left lane during rush hour.

LOL rudderless!
vesicapisces
Cob: Asking our CEO if she's OK with me submitting a request to a local radio station for our office to get a visit from their ice cream truck/mobile broadcasting unit, and having her take it and run with it as a way of getting free publicity for one of our clinics instead (and framing it with "because it's your idea, you could go and have ice cream with them! we could take your picture for the newsletter!") Fuckyouverymuch, you soullless opportunist - I wanted to do something nice for my co-workers, not make it a marketing ploy. And if the clinics want ice cream, let them put in a request for themselves!
culturehandy
cob: Blatant misuse and abuse of my job position.
olivarria
Horrible COB: I just accidentally drank rotten milk. It is the worst thing i ever tasted. I forgot that the milk doesn't get used up so fast now that I'm living alone. I bought this yummy pecan praline and wanted some milk to go with it, and didn't know it was bad. It apparently expired 2 weeks ago. I really wanna ralph now.
faerietails
EWW! Poor olive. sad.gif

Cob: Racist assholes who frame immigration in racist terms.
girltrouble
anti cob:faerie's popping toasts... they always make me happy! (big huggs ft)
hellotampon
yeah, much love to the toast. smile.gif

I keep seeing commercials for a show called "secret life of the american teenager" about this HS girl who gets pregnant and then hides it for a while.

It looks dumb. The commercial compares it to 7th Heaven, which means it really is dumb. Everytime I see it I end up yelling things at the screen about the value of comprehensive sex ed.
culturehandy
WORD on the anti-cob. The happy toast makes me happy.
geekchickknits
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Jul 30 2008, 08:05 AM) *
I keep seeing commercials for a show called "secret life of the american teenager" about this HS girl who gets pregnant and then hides it for a while.

It looks dumb. The commercial compares it to 7th Heaven, which means it really is dumb. Everytime I see it I end up yelling things at the screen about the value of comprehensive sex ed.

You can watch the episodes on youtube. I saw part of one and got drawn in. Little hooked now. And it also has Molly Ringwald in it which isn't so bad. However, I started watching in the third episode, and I want to go back and watch the others. I'm wondering if abortion even ever crossed her mind.

There is, however, a highly sexually active female character, who is also ridiculously smart (very high scoring on her PSATs etc) and I have yet to see something bad happen to her. I realize that it is coming. But so far it hasn't.

Hmm. Probably not the thread to talk about it, so I'll tie it in.

COB: Abortion almost never being presented as a viable option for unexpected/teenage pregnancies in film and television.
ANTI-COB: Degrassi High and Degrassi: The Next Generation, both of which did.
cecilia
Cob: assholes who discuss the bar exam (or any test, really) when it's over. I'm not talking the usual "that sucked" or "thank god it's almost over." I am talking about the people who talk substance. It's bad etiquette in law school, it's bad etiquette always! There's nothing good that can come from those discussions, and it's especially wrong to do it near others who just got done. I swear, I almost choked some people, and I was fully prepared to argue that their behavior was sufficient provocation to downgrade my charges from murder to manslaughter. How's that for substantive law, assholes?

Anti-cob - the awesome Chinatown bakery where I got my lunch, consisting of a hotdog scallion bun and sesame ball, for a grand total of $1.50.
snarky7
COB: boyfriend with no job. (need i say more?)
neurotic.nelly
Cob: i hum when i'm happy, and my boyfriend *always* sushes me. jerk.
persimmon_grrrl
shighty haircuts. arg!
courtiegirl
I hate being touched during or right after a meal- especially in my stomach. My boy does it all the time, grrrrr.
persimmon_grrrl
predatory socializing out of loneliness, and not out of a sincere, real desire to connect meaningfully with another human being.

reactionary anything.

life is not a contest, not survivalism, not a mewling contact sport that decries difficult, diffuse emotions and feelings without name. life is not easy adages and formulas.

what, then, to do with being a human social animal and the alchemy needed to create meaningful connections with people, how to get there? a challenge, a challenge.
courtiegirl
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Jul 23 2008, 09:21 AM) *
Cob: People who think it's acceptable to drive 10 mph under the limit in the left lane during rush hour.

LOL rudderless!

Ohh girl, lucky you don't live in NH. I grew up in NY where everyone loves to drive FAST, only in NH for the summer to be with my boy. Talk about road rage.
persimmon_grrrl
not speaking, not asking for what i want when i know that i could speak and be more assertive.

thinking that i don't have a right to speak up.

not knowing what is possible, and therefore living within old confines and rules that no longer serve me.

today, for instance, with the bad hair cut, i could have asked the person who cut my hair to change it, that i was not happy with it, instead of saying it was fine through gritted teeth and self-loathing (admittedly, it's just a haircut, and will grow out, but a grrrl should feel beautiful after going to the salon and shelling out half a hundred).

seeing ex-partners in large group settings and not really knowing how i actually felt about it until maybe a day later. and still not knowing how i felt about it. i wish that i had more clarity and honesty about how i was feeling within myself.
olivarria
Persimmon_grrrl**, I have the same exact problem. I don't know why I'm not more assertive...I'm afraid to make people mad, maybe? Wy shouldn't I think my opinion counts? I recently got a haircut and the stylist didn't cut it short enough, but I said it was okay. I don't know why - it doesn't make any sense!

**BTW, Have you ever had persimmon pudding? My great-grandma used to make it from persimmon trees in her yard, and it's my dad's favorite!
persimmon_grrrl
QUOTE(olivarria @ Aug 2 2008, 10:14 PM) *
Persimmon_grrrl**, I have the same exact problem. I don't know why I'm not more assertive...I'm afraid to make people mad, maybe? Wy shouldn't I think my opinion counts? I recently got a haircut and the stylist didn't cut it short enough, but I said it was okay. I don't know why - it doesn't make any sense!

**BTW, Have you ever had persimmon pudding? My great-grandma used to make it from persimmon trees in her yard, and it's my dad's favorite!

Heya! Seriously; I think I may go back tomorrow and see if they can't fix it/make it more interesting. It is the most boring haircut ever, and I could have cut it myself and done the same damn thing, which is why I went to a well-reputed hair salon in the first place! Arg.

Speaking of persimmons and pudding, do you have the recipe? Do you feel like sharing? wink.gif That sounds amazing - I really wish that 1) I had a yard, and 2) I had a persimmon tree growing in said yard. I love persimmons ...
olivarria
My great grandma passed away a few years ago, and she's the only one I ever knew who made persimmon pudding. Maybe my grandparents know? It sure does sound good right now....I haven't had it in years. I bet there's several recipes on the internet!
culturehandy
Cob: Fred Phelps and his flunkies. They need to die a long, slow, horrible, pustule filled death.
anarch
Men Who Explain Things: "the out-and-out confrontational confidence of the totally ignorant"

Fuck yeah.

from How Not To Be That Guy
tesao

cob: adolescent boys
cob: arrogant expats
cob: ATVs on a paved road
cob: loud noise at 6 am on a week-end morning

COB: Arrogant Expat Adolescent Boys On ATVs On A Paved Road Making A Horrid Loud Noise at 6 am on Saturday Morning

GRRRRRRR
missladyj
cob: people who don't know their lap swimming ettiquete

If I am faster than you which you already know because I have passed you once and you get to the wall before I do, get out of my way.

We are all swimming circles, you do not have to try and interrupt my work out in the middle of a set to ask me if you can swim circles in the lane with me.

If you tap me on my foot, you better be able to pass me if you can't pass me, them back the fuck up.
culturehandy
Oh Tes, WORD on adolescent boys. Actually, adolescent youth in general irritate me.
sybarite
Accounts. Accounting software. Hating it.
deschatsrouge
Small children picking their noses.
Queen Bull
bare feet. in parking lots and walmarts. on small children. and methheads.
so gross.

just wear shoes in public.. thats all that i ask.
mornington
The crazy man in the flats next door. At least, I think he's crazy. Why else would he be screaming "fuck you motherfucker..." etc etc etc for at least 20 minutes at four in the morning. Or eleven at night. Or any time of day. I still haven't worked out who or what he's shouting at, or why. Maybe it's the same reason he locks himself out at least twice a week and sits on the road (he has a garden, he doesn't need to sit in the road) for several hours mumbling and swearing at everyone. Maybe it's the same reason he harasses his neighbours out of the window when he hasn't locked himself out. Also, he's creepy, not just crazy.

My landlady, who is lovely but rings me at 11am to ask me why I haven't forwarded her post yet, when I only got the email about it on thursday (uh, because the mail can take a day or two to get there). In response, I've sent her everything that wasn't addressed to me (none of which is addressed to her, either).

bustygirl
Maybe he's screaming at the crazy man who used to live next door to us in our old apartment. smile.gif

My peeve is buttermints. Homemade buttermints. Too damn delicious, can't stop eating.
bustygirl
Okay, my peeve today is people who make appointments with me for fittings; which I clean my house for, spend time on that I could be working or spending with my family or friends, and otherwise waste my exceptionally small amount of free time on--only to have them cancel at the last minute or not do me the courtesy of cancelling at all.

One girl in particular has done this for two weeks in a row. I don't want to get snitty with a customer, but I'm starting to feel like charging her for the time I spend waiting for her to show up. I'm not your friend, I'm not your family, I'm a business person, and the time I spend on you isn't free.

Grrrr.
geekchickknits
QUOTE(bustygirl @ Aug 19 2008, 07:57 PM) *
One girl in particular has done this for two weeks in a row. I don't want to get snitty with a customer, but I'm starting to feel like charging her for the time I spend waiting for her to show up. I'm not your friend, I'm not your family, I'm a business person, and the time I spend on you isn't free.

The next time she calls to make an appointment, inform here that if she doesn't give you 24 hours notice before cancelling you will charge her for the fitting anyway. Make a note that you gave her this warning, and see if she shows up or not.

I used to tutor privately, and had one student who cancelled twice, once by calling, once by not showing up. After that, I said that I would be happy to tutor him privately, but that he would have to pay in advance. He always balked after that, but at least he didn't waste my time!
girltrouble
cob:listening to evangelist rick warren and his wife talking about how good they are for being concerned with aids in africa, while they keep aids in america at arms length, all the while talking about how aids is a disease "they didn't care about." because "it meant that you were gay" and "it's a sexually transmitted disease, hello!" how very fucking christian of you, assholes. you talk about how "when we die we will have to give account to jesus about what we did" and i hope he fucking sends you to the hottest parts of hell for trying to hold up your halo while people die around you, and you do nothing because of your prejudice and homophobia. oh, and seriously---FUCK YOU.
olivarria
Warning I am in a really pissy mood and going on a rant.

My cob: Okay, this is my first time living in a college dorm, so I'm not sure if this is normal protocol or not, maybe some of you can tell me. I'm living in an apartment-style dorm, there are two bedrooms. We have a living area, kitchenette, and bathroom. Lately I have had a problem with people (not my roommate) just walking into the dorm, no knocking or anything. Like contracters, people doing repairs, RA's to do health inspections or whatever. Sometimes they have walked straight into my bedroom and woken me up for an inspection.

Now I know this is not technically an apartment, it is a dorm, but we each pay over $500 a month to live here. This is our private living space. Why the fuck are they just walking in like they live here? What if I was having wild sex on the living room floor? Or in my bed for that matter, since they have walked in there too? Do they think that because it's a dorm and not an apartment, we don't require privacy? When I pay my monthly rent I am paying for the living space AND the privilege of privacy. I don't mind letting in a contracter, or plummer, or RA to do an inspection, but next time you better fucking KNOCK! I don't give a shit if you're an RA. Two campus police officers came not long ago to question my roommate about something, and even they had the courtesy to knock (or beat loudly on the door). I've thought about just lounging around naked, so next time they walk in they can get treated to a full frontal view, or another really embarassing situation so they can learn to respect my goddamn privacy!
hoosierman78
QUOTE(olivarria @ Aug 21 2008, 10:13 AM) *
Warning I am in a really pissy mood and going on a rant.

My cob: Okay, this is my first time living in a college dorm, so I'm not sure if this is normal protocol or not, maybe some of you can tell me. I'm living in an apartment-style dorm, there are two bedrooms. We have a living area, kitchenette, and bathroom. Lately I have had a problem with people (not my roommate) just walking into the dorm, no knocking or anything. Like contracters, people doing repairs, RA's to do health inspections or whatever. Sometimes they have walked straight into my bedroom and woken me up for an inspection.

Now I know this is not technically an apartment, it is a dorm, but we each pay over $500 a month to live here. This is our private living space. Why the fuck are they just walking in like they live here? What if I was having wild sex on the living room floor? Or in my bed for that matter, since they have walked in there too? Do they think that because it's a dorm and not an apartment, we don't require privacy? When I pay my monthly rent I am paying for the living space AND the privilege of privacy. I don't mind letting in a contracter, or plummer, or RA to do an inspection, but next time you better fucking KNOCK! I don't give a shit if you're an RA. Two campus police officers came not long ago to question my roommate about something, and even they had the courtesy to knock (or beat loudly on the door). I've thought about just lounging around naked, so next time they walk in they can get treated to a full frontal view, or another really embarassing situation so they can learn to respect my goddamn privacy!

You'll have to check your student housing agreement for definitive answers, but in my experience in the dorms, people always knocked. Of course, that could be because if I was in there, the door was either open or locked. I don't believe you have the same rights (legally speaking) as you would if you were renting from a standard landlord, but at the same time, I would think it highly unacceptable for a contractor/RA to just waltz into your private living space without knocking first. I'm sure a few 'embarrassing' entrances would quash that shit pretty fast, but you shouldn't have to do that in order to be given common courtesy. My two cents anyway.
mornington
olivarria - you should check with your student housing people (lodge a complaint when you do) and check your contract. In my halls (in the uk, mind) they had to give 24 hours notice before entering, or gain your permission (ie knock and wait for you to answer the door).
pollystyrene
TROLL ALERT!! I've reported it.

girltrouble
wow. getting attacked for compassion and contempt of hatred. that's a new one.

that's not a troll. that's an moron.
Queen Bull
wow. moron indeed. though im sure troll cant be far off mark.
girltrouble
cob:people who think it's cool to hate people because of what's between their legs, who they love, the color of their skin, or a life lived differently. it's just stupidness. but SOME people are so blinded by hate, they can't figure it out.

...speaking of dis-ease, i've said it before: stupid is contagious. a certain FN, it seems, has a terminal case.
mornington
cob: fresh veg costing more than frozen pizza. When I can buy three pizzas for the price of a bag of carrots and some spinach, there is something wrong with the world.

cob: bus drivers who drive too fast (around corners too) so can't stop at the actual bus stop.

cob: people who can't spell feminist.
culturehandy
Cob: People who attempt to be intelligent and witty, but are really just pretentious.
girltrouble
make no mistake fn, you're not even pretentious,
you're just stupid.

this little retort of yours:
cob: people who can't spell feminist.

If the name fits we will use it. wink.gif

didn't even make a lick of sense.
and sadly, you didn't even have the braincells to figure that out.

honestly, i don't mind witty repartee, but you have to be witty.
you're just a moron. on the scale of 1-10, you still haven't managed a .004.

listen, i know you'd like to think you're smart and all, but....you're not.
that reply proves it all too well.
you can't hold a candle to busties. you can't.
you just haven't the wattage.

...so why don't you just run along, 10 watt, i'm sure you've got some time set aside to pick your ass, we don't need you to do it here.

don't let the door knob hit ya....
girltrouble
tsk. you have to atleast try to make sense. but never mind. you're so simple, i don't even have to think to dispatch you. i'll just leave you with a quote,
"Puns are the last refuge of the witless." ---Samuel Johnson
QED. game, set and match.

now you go on block, 10 watt. you're not worth my time.
auralpoison
GT, what quotes rock your world? I'm a quote fiend. I think it's why I loved CSI so much. Billy Petersen is hot & Grissom dropped mad smarts. I have an 86% knowledge of what he drops. I just want to fuck him, though.
mornington
didn't we have a quote thread, or did it get eaten? I collect quotes....

cob: damn rabbit eating power cords again.

anticob: G can fix them!
culturehandy
Cob: Rude little children on bicycles on sidewalks who don't move when you are walking and just about plow you over.
tankgirl
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Aug 25 2008, 09:42 PM) *
Cob: Rude little children on bicycles on sidewalks who don't move when you are walking and just about plow you over.

It's worse when adults do that. I almost got ran over by an ADULT on a bike on the sidewalk while I was walking my dog the other day. Geesh...
culturehandy
tankgirl, that is rude.

Cob: People who ram their shopping carts into your achilles tendon, what are you thinking mofo? This hasn't happened to me in ages, but still. Just rude.
starshine
Cob: working for a feminist, anti-violence organization that throws around the term "non-judgmental" like it's more important to the services we provide than air itself, but then turns down services to clients such as food packages (for when families have no food at home and no money to buy it) and staying at the transition house, because of who the client is. Yes, people have addictions, yes, some overuse the system, but they and their kids not only deserve, but have a right to, a safe place to stay and a full belly. Grrr.

Cob: Finally getting a job in my field and hating it.

Anti???Cob: Getting kicked in the ass by my crappy job to finally do my plan A, write. Why do I need to be knocked over the head with a 2X4 before I learn my lesson?!?!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.