Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corn Cob Up My Ass: Pet Peeves 7
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The F-Word
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
hiddenpoet
zoya i understand you are "just saying". i just prefer a different manner of English that does not include encarta nor american in anyway what so ever. for me the last definition of addiction is obsession. to allow oneself to be controlled by thier obsessions is to me not addiction but simply obsession. i understand that as time passes the meanings, pronunciations and eventually even words change based on where one resides. i simply refuse to use them in that new modern pop culture context. i also refuse to touch a dictionary of the English language that has the word american upon it. some people may call it snobbish, i call it correct English.
pollystyrene, i didn't know that babies were objects. i know that some people are say, aroused by restraints, shoes, colours of clothing.. but pastas? i wasn't being sarcastic or sardonic in the first cob post. if it's that easy for someone to be aroused by a plate of pasta, then i truly do congratulate them for what orgasms they must have at the dinner table! myself, i cannot comprehend being so Pavlovian as to be sexually aroused at food, places, gifts.

i fail to see why i should be corrected on personal irritations. i have yet to see another bustie's irritation / cob be corrected, let alone the insinuation that she is somehow wrong in her irriatation. i have yet to witness another busties English be corrected here. why me? really - you know you both wanted me to reply. so i have. all i want to know is ..
why? why want my attention if you feel you are both so much more knowledgeable than i am? why post definitions from an american dictionary when you both know i speak English? why bother to play devils advocate now? why bother to chastise a bustie for a pet peeve? really all i want to know is why.
zoya
....I don't think I'm more knowledgeable. You state point blank below that you have a cob with people who misuse definitions of words for their own use, and they should read a dictionary. Well I get irritated when people equate their opinion with definition. The words you state that people are making up their own definitions of... well I'm just showing that those definitions are indeed one of the accepted definitions of the word - as stated in the dictionary.

Since the American Heritage Dictionary (of american ENGLISH) doesn't fly with you, here's the definitions from the Oxford English Dictionary.

addicted
-adjective - 1 physically dependent on a particular substance. 2 devoted to a particular interest or activity.

ORIGIN from Latin addicere "assign".

fetish
-noun - 1 an inanimate object worshipped for its supposed magical powers. 2 a form of sexual desire in which gratification is focused abnormally on an object, part of the body, or activity. 3 a course of action to which one has an excessive and irrational commitment.

DERIVATIVES fetishism noun fetishist noun fetishistic adjective fetishization (also -isation) noun fetishize (also fetishise) verb.

ORIGIN French fetiche, from Latin facticius "made by art."

sexy
- adjective (sexier, sexiest) 1 sexually attractive or exciting. 2 sexually aroused. 3. very exciting or appealing.

DERIVATIVES sexily adverb sexiness noun.

As to why I would post something from an American dictionary when I know you speak english... well last time I checked, American English is still considered by definition to be English - it's just a dialect of the language - and your profile states you live in the US, so I would assume you speak American English. (I apologise if you are not American, I'm just assuming you are because it says you live in the states. I don't live in the states, but if someone assumed I spoke UK english because I live here, they'd be wrong, because as an American who just moved here a couple years ago, I definitely speak American English)
stargazer
hiddenpoet, what attracted me to the article wasn't the word fetish, but the concept that marriage and motherhood have been cornered in the corporate world to which they have taken obsessive levels ( or if you want to call it as the author did a fetish) quality that the meaning of marriage and parenting get lost by the public. something you mentioned in your post as well. i think zoya's post showed some variations and different meaning of the word. the use of the word fetish in the piece is the author's choice.

as for feeling attacked by others for your cob, i don't see anyone attacking you. and,well, you don't see me crying for your response about the word fetish in the piece i posted. or, gt's response to the article. no one is immune to having their posts being discussed, either pro or con, whether it is a cob or anything else in the Lounge. at least, that's my experience.
auralpoison
"what so hard about looking up words in the dictionary and gaining a better vocabulary?!"

The above is why you caught shit, HP. The word "fetish" was NOT misused as you asserted in your post. You castigated people that don't look things up when you yourself obviously hadn't looked up the word "fetish" & were not familiar with it's various definitions. I'd have given you shit for it had I been the first to come across it. I'd have busted you on your syntax, too, for neglecting the "is" in that sentence fragment. But I am the grammar police.
culturehandy
it is interesting if you look at the anthropological perspective on fetishes.
auralpoison
I always think of bears & fish & stuff carved out of turquoise or whatever when I first hear the word "fetish". I *do* come from cowboy country.
culturehandy
The anthropologist who initially put this forth had some very good ideas, I had to read the work in one of my classes.
Persiflager
Oh dear hiddenpoet, I love using obscure words! I always hope that people will ask me what they mean, and then they'll be as excited as I was when I first came across them.

Cob: AP didn't ask me what a deipnosophist was! It means 'master of the art of dinner-table conversation', from the ancient Greek. I like really specific compliments biggrin.gif
auralpoison
Oh, my. I never actively seek to be a cause of a cob though I often am.

I didn't ask, Pers, because I knew what it meant. I happen to be sesquipedalian, dontcha know. And I always bring a host gift, I have good table manners & I offer to help wash up after!
Persiflager
Ha, you must have terrible trouble buying shoes!

Damn, I thought you might. I suppose I must be pretentious after all tongue.gif
girltrouble
poet, i think you are taking this too seriously. i teased aural about her "totes" and there were a flurry of silly responses that followed. the lounge is not the usual forum, it's self modded. if someone picks up something you say and runs with it, that's where the discussion goes. *shrug* nothing to be done about it. and if you poke someone in the eye, so to speak, you might just get your eye poked back....or not. sometimes you get your eye poked for no good reason, but i wouldn't take it personally. take it as busties being playful, just taking the piss out of you a bit, more than anything else. it's more that you've given them a set-up for a joke or two, and, well, this place is chock full of wise asses. even the nicest, sweetest bustie can be sharp, so take it with a grain of salt, if you feel you've been wronged, state your case as you did, listen, and if need be stand your ground, do, but don't take it personal. the lounge is it's own organic beast.
auralpoison
What she said. Totes. TOTES totes.
zoya
yea, totes, doods.
auralpoison
Wait, Zoy. Is that "yea" like "yay" or is it meant to be a "yeah"? Cos I'm totes gonna give you shit if it was supposed to be "yeah". Again, I am the grammar police, like, TOTES.
zoya
yea, it was yea as in "yeah' but I blame cultural differences. I was typing in the queen's english, not American, couldn't you tell? ....You know, our slang is different. that's why I can say stuff like 'cunt' and it doesn't count. totes. biggrin.gif

girltrouble
aural, i think you ought to punch yourself in your face for using 'totes.' or, if you'll fly me down, i'll do the honors.
raisingirl
Tim Gunn's voice is one of my pet peeves from last night's awards.
raisingirl
Also Nadya Suleman's voice -- not just what's coming out of her mouth, but her voice itself. Nails on a chalkboard.
Christine Nectarine
i'm totally going to start using "totes".

cob: people who use the word LITERALLY when they don't really mean to imply something in a literal sense.

just in case, in my pre-emptive defense, i don't care whether the common usage permits it or not, it just bugs me!
(i don't know if that was a UK english dictionary or an American english dictionary, but i'm Canadian anyway - we tend to use both!)
crazyoldcatlady
i'm totally going to start using "totes".

Correction: The sentence would have been more correct if it were "I'm totes going to start using totes."
tongue.gif
zoya
christine - I totes thought you guys used french. wink.gif
likeanyother
People who think "that's what she said" is funny. People who do the "*cough* sucks" thing to express their opinion about something....

(And especially the new guy at my work who does both, and is pretty much the cockiest, most annoying, manly-man yet-acts-like-a frat-boy person I've ever met dry.gif )
crazyoldcatlady
cob: ski dudes who think they're hot shit b/c they refer to "powder" as "pow".
shut. thefuckup.
zoya
cocl - or worse, "pow pow."

or someone who's never been on a snowboard a day in their life trying to be all down with you by asking (when they see you with your board) if you're going to go "shred."

uh... that lingo died in like the 80's, I think.
dj-bizmonkey
as long as we're on the word/grammar cob train....

even though the definition is beginning to change, depending on the dictionary you use, the nauseous v. nauseated thing drives me bananas. if you say, 'i feel nauseous,' it technically means that you feel that you have an emetic effect on OTHER people and not that you are feeling that way yourself. you should say, 'i feel nauseated.'

also, 'hopefully.' hopefully is an adverb. if you say, 'hopefully i will get a job,' it means that 'full of hope, i will get a job.' it describes the act of the getting the job, not the way you feel about it prior. you can say, 'with hope, i will get a job,' or 'i hope i will get a job.'

these things irritate me, also when people mix up 'good' and 'well.' i always try to remember those two with bien and bueno.

regardless of my personal irritation, language is living and i'm sure we would all sound atrocious/unintelligable to say, Chaucer.
pollystyrene
I'm unashamedly guilty of both of your cobs, likeanyother! laugh.gif

So-called professional chefs (and anyone else, really) who pronounces chipotle "chi-POL-tay"....it's "chi-pote-lay" goddammit!!!
girltrouble
me too.

cob:the phrase "government isn't good at....[fill in the blank]" as an excuse. it's not good at those things because we had an administration of shysters, thieves and incompetents. given the right people gov't does those things just fine, asshole.
auralpoison
I admit to using "hopefully", but literally (HAH!) agree with the other cobs.

It used to drive me nuts that there was a Chipotle in my 'hood & everybody pronounced it as though it wasn't written on everything but the damned burrito.

"That's what she said" annoys me, but not as much as, "Quarter pounder?! I barely knew her!" I worked with two chuckleheads that took great delight in that one & worked it into every conversation.
rudderlesschild
I third the Chipotle cob. I live in CA, where there is no possible excuse to mangle the word. But I still hear "Chi-poll-tee" on a daily basis.

Maybe it's deliberate. Like W's "nu-kyu-lerr". I still think that was intentional. mad.gif
zoya
AP - there was a Chipotle in my neighborhood, and everyone I knew thought it was really cool to call it "chip-OD-le." It used to make me crazy.
culturehandy
People seriously pronouce Chipotle chi-POL-tay? Really? What kind of reject would pronouce it that way, when clearly the word is spelled to pronouce it exactly as Chipotle.

It's also like people who say Nuclear nucULar, uhhh, no, or what else? Axe instead of ASK.

I think we've gone on this rant in here before.

My word cob is irregardless, I hate it!!! Or the exact same, no, is exactly the same, not the exact same thing. Grrrrrrr.
missladyj
cob: when people say monkey and they are talking about chimpanzees. They are two totally different genus and species while both being primates. chimpanzees are NOT monkeys!!!
lilacwine13
I'm glad some of you weren't around my job site last fall; the running joke for a month was saying anything, then "that's what she said." We soon had variations of it because well, I worked with a bunch of smart asses.

The "good" and "well" confusion drives me up the wall, along with mistaking chimpanzees, monkeys or any other primates for one another.

For me, people who can't use their, they're or there correctly are the ones who drive me up the wall, grammatically speaking.
dj-bizmonkey
man oh MAN do i second that emotion missladyj! monkeys have tails, apes don't. that chimp lady and all the hype surrounding her is a major cob for me in general. people are saying 'oh, no one knows why the chimp went crazy and attacked.' hmmmm, maybe because it's a wild freakin' animal, not meant to be in captivity. it reminds me of the chris rock, 'never scared,' routine when he's talking about the sigfreid and roy tiger attack. he says, 'everyone says that tiger went crazy. that tiger didn't go crazy, that tiger went tiger!'

and polly, i'm thinking you heard the guy on the top chef finale last night refer to his chi-pole-tay sauce? irked me right to the core!
pollystyrene
Yes, dj! Not that he was the first one I've heard say that, but he's a freaking professional chef!
grrrlyouwant
i live in california, and it annoys the hell out of me when people who have lived here all their lives mispronounce the spanish (and by here, i mean my area of the central valley in general). i mean, we live in the middle of ag country, there are thirty redneck chuckleheads on craigslist a day bitching about how "them damn beaners are everywhere, can't go nowhere without hearing damn spanish!" so if you hear it so damn often, surely you've picked up on some of the correct pronunciation? i've been telling people since high school that i speak "california spanish: just enough to order from a taco truck, start a fight, or be polite to my brother's relatives". and really, living in the area of california i do, there's no reason for anyone over the age of five to not know at least that much. i don't know, maybe they're deliberately lazy about pronunciation as a passive-aggressive way of being disrespectful.

but i think the momster's got some kind of selective pronunciation hurdle. she does fine with tossing in a word or two of spanish if there's a native speaker in the conversation, but on her own she chokes. one time we were in the drive through at el pollo loco, and she ordered a "POL-lo asada" burrito, five minutes after she asked if we wanted "el POY-o loco" for dinner. i was like "dude, mom, that was so freaking lazy, what was that?" i would have gotten out of the car right then out of sheer embarrassment, but i loves me el pollo's pollo asada burritos.
rudderlesschild
Seriously. Worse, to me, is the fact that certain mispronunciations are like, INSTITUTIONALIZED or something. Like the city of Vallejo - absolutely everyone, even in official capacity, pronounces it "Va-LAY-ho". To the point where, if you attempted to pronounce it correctly (Va-YEH-ho), absolutely no one would know what the hell you were talking about.

Or San "Ra-FELL".

Or "Al-a-MEE-da".
mad.gif

treehugger
since my work is related to the medical research field, my personal mispronunciation pet peeve is "moleckLEEar", instead of molecular.
girltrouble
my self esteem has plumeted since reading this thread. i've decided to never speak again. sign language class starts on mOOn-day.
culturehandy
The way you all feel about the mispronouncing of Spanish is how I feel about people mispronouncing French words here. COME ON people.

Head meet desk.

GT, don't, you fucking rock. I hearts me my GT.

Oh and I'm so in on the Ape Vs. Chimp thing.

OT but the nice thing about Sigfried and Roy is that they didn't want the tiger euthanized after it did what tigers do. In so many cases it would have been bye bye animal. I think it's pretty cool in this case this didn't happen.
candycane_girl
CH, my hometown is notorious for mispronouncing French words! Some people blame it on our close proximity to the states, I say it's just pure laziness.

ie Pierre street is pronounced by the locals as peer-eee. Grand Marais is Grand Mare-iss. I could go on.
pollystyrene
One of my co-workers asked for "tor-TILL-a soup" when we went out to lunch at California Pizza Kitchen a few weeks ago. I wanted to crawl under the table.
bunnyb
Oh come ON, even people here in the UK (where there's minimal Spanish influence) know how to pronounce tortilla! that's sheer stupidity.
culturehandy
It was like that rediculous craft cheese commercial where four women were doing a ladies night, and one of the women pronounces jalapeno Jalpeno, instead of Halapenyo.
stargazer
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Feb 27 2009, 12:30 PM) *
One of my co-workers asked for "tor-TILL-a soup" when we went out to lunch at California Pizza Kitchen a few weeks ago. I wanted to crawl under the table.

this comment made me think of jan hooks in pee wee's big adventure, "can you say tor-TEE-ya?" laugh.gif

oh dude, don't ever come to Chicago where we have a fucked up dialect that i reflect quite strongly. and i'm proud of it! biggrin.gif
Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Feb 27 2009, 10:37 AM) *
CH, my hometown is notorious for mispronouncing French words! Some people blame it on our close proximity to the states, I say it's just pure laziness.

ie Pierre street is pronounced by the locals as peer-eee. Grand Marais is Grand Mare-iss. I could go on.

what gets me even more is when people make fun of ME for pronouncing the french correctly - like i'm being pretentious. i'm not fluent, but i've spoken the language since i was 5. i'm not going to purposely mispronounce it!

my mum's family is of french background, and one of the family names is Vaillancourt - almost everyone in family says it differently, and it's endlessly frustrating.
pollystyrene
She led a sheltered life, what can I say?

I grew up in Des Plaines, IL, pronounced Dess Planes, so I feel your pain.
candycane_girl
My dad is a truck driver and has often had to travel to a place called Terre Haute, Indiana. According to him, the locals and all the truck drivers pronounce it "tara hoot".
missladyj
We had to drive from Chi to Indiana for a wedding and one of the first things we saw was a tattoo parlor right next door to a day care in a strip mall. ahhh Indiana.

Polly,
I grew up in Niles, I know all about Dess Planes. I had a middle school teacher who was the only person I ever heard say it right.
auralpoison
I've got some weird ones.

I grew up watching Nature, Nova, & Jaques Cousteau specials on PBS with my parents. I read Darwin. In my mind the word "Galapagos" is guh-lah-puh-gohs. So I move to Denver, yeah? I say "Galapagos" & everybody looks at me funny. In Denver it's gah-lah-pay-goh. WTF?

Another is that where I live in Kansas, the Arkansas River flows through. We all grow up pronouncing "Arkansas" the same way, ar-kan-saw. Here it is ar-kan-sas when refering to the river, but not the state.

I try really hard to pronounce words correctly, but one that got me was "denouement". Cod, was that embarrassing. Goddamned French bastards.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.