Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corn Cob Up My Ass: Pet Peeves 7
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The F-Word
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
kittenb
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Feb 27 2009, 01:18 AM) *
my self esteem has plumeted since reading this thread. i've decided to never speak again. sign language class starts on mOOn-day.

I will be sitting (quietly) next to you.

It's also like people who say Nuclear nucULar, uhhh, no, or what else?

I do this.

I'll leave now.
chachaheels
"Foilage" for "foliage".

(Nucular/nuclear and foilage/foliage were part of a jealous-man-joke in a movie, years ago. I never heard "foilage" being used before that film, but now I hear even botanists mispronouncing the word regularly. All is takes is one broadcast mistake, and everyone second guesses themselves where pronunciation is concerned).
roseviolet
I'm guilty of the "hopefully" thing. I didn't know it was incorrect until I read it here. I don't think I can stop saying it, though! Eep!

The first time I saw " deus ex machina" in print was in the script for a play at an audition. During my cold reading, I unknowingly mispronounced it. When I heard someone else pronounce it correctly a few minutes later, I turned beet red. I still blush a little whenever I see or hear that term.

On the other hand, my mother pronounces "wash" as "warsh". So I could be worse.
dj-bizmonkey
ga-la-PAY-gos? are you kidding me? you were definitely right the first time.

i slip up with the 'hopefully' thing too, and i guarantee that it will eventually change meaning and become acceptable english grammar. my dad studied english in undergrad so i've just had the grammar police on my tail my whole life.

i live in new orleans and i was so tickled during the whole gustav/ike fiasco at all the news anchors trying to pronounce the names of of places in south louisiana, especially plaquemines parish and terre bonne. that being said, locals don't pronounce anything here like you might expect. here are some examples:

calliope- most normal people would say ca-lye-oh-pee, right? nope, it's caal-y-ope. esplanade- not es-pla-nod as you might say, but espla-nade, just like it is spelled. everyone else says 'burgundy' and puts the accent on the first syllable, not us! we say 'bur-GUN-dy.'
angie_21
This is why I always just point at the menu at restaurants.

Nucular is definitely a big pet peeve, as well as when people say "could care less." It's couldn't care less!
crazyoldcatlady
::derailing grammar cobs:::

the USPS!! fucking priority mail does not mean three weeks! and that's how long it's been SO FAR. where are my fucking packages?????
girltrouble
one grammar cob too many...
*brainis isplode*

zoya
one word: MOVING.

I FUCKING HATE MOVING!!!!! I forgot how much of a pain in the ass it is. suck. suck. suck. I wish I was rich and could have someone else do it all for me. I'd still have to tell them what to do, though, which would still be be pure SUCK.

(I do get a nice flat on the flip side, however.....)

raisingirl
Ugh, Zoya, I feel for you and know what it's like. I've got to decide this week if I'm moving or not. I can't afford to stay where I am, so I don't know why I said I need a week to think about my decision, because at this point it's a no-brainer. I just don't know what I'm going to do next, that's the big problem. Of course I think about all the crap I have and about physically moving it and dealing with the logistics of moving one's shit and I just.... UGH UGH UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!... want to toss everything in the dumpster.
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Feb 27 2009, 07:18 AM) *
my self esteem has plumeted since reading this thread. i've decided to never speak again. sign language class starts on mOOn-day.

Trust me, you can make terrible grammar and pronunciation mistakes with Sign Language. I have embarrassed myself on more than one occasion my making my signs wrong. For example; I meant to say shave, what I said? sex. The result? some prolonged giggling and ribbing. The order in which you make your signs is important too. I have gotten sideways looks for bad grammar. For example; I thought I was saying I have made this jello for my mom, she lives in Washington. What I actually said? my mom made the jello, she lives in Washington. Response? How did she get it here? Did she mail it?

Pronunciation cob: it's shik-SA not SHIS-ka. Grrrrrrrrr...
sybarite
Moving does indeed suck. The only way I ever get through it is to constantly remind myself that the process is finite, and the worst part comes first, i.e. packing up all your stuff. I recommend putting on loud music and opening a bottle of wine for intermittent swigs while packing. Try to avoid the 'oh, man, where did that come from' moments by being ruthless. If you must keep random stuff, designate a box for Random Stuff and toss it in there. Wrap dishes etc in linens instead of newspaper.

Also, if you can afford it at all, pay movers for the heavy lifting from door to door. And think of how satisfying it will be to unpack and hang/display/organise your brand new space!

I have done this 20+ times as an adult, I feel your pain. Best of luck!
auralpoison
Y'know, I never thought I'd say this, but I am deeply envious of Zoya for moving. Truly. I'd kill for my fresh start to finally begin. I miss having a space of my own that reflects ME & not my mother's weird clutter & obsessions. Unicorns, owls, pigs, that atrocious & somewhat menacing painting of the bears having a picnic. I know that white one has it in for me!

I've been living in a house full of shit that isn't my own for so long now that I don't know what to do. After nearly two years I've decided to get my things out of storage, only to have them go into storage in the basement here because there's no place to put it. I keep throwing shit out, only to comeback & find that for every bag I toss another two pop up in it's place. The stagnation is maddening. Every day I think about just tossing a match to it all & running away to Borneo.

And I must admit, I talked Zoy's ear off a couple weeks ago when she should have been accomplishing shit. Dunno why, but we play off each other & ramble on & on & on. We start at point A & move on to the number twenty-three.
girltrouble
just the idea of having to move my 2500+ records makes me pee myself in fear. i had half that at my last place and i just abandoned 2-300 because i was too tired to deal. it could be worse, zoya, the universal law in seattle: there will always be a torrential downpour when you move. and it always is. it's reason number 2 why i havent moved in 10 years...

but i hear you aural, i miss coming to seattle with nothing more than a suitcase.

you can make terrible grammar and pronunciation mistakes with Sign Language.
well that's good news. as of this posting i'm a non signing mute.
i'm trying not to think of my punctuation violations.
zoya
gt - I'm in a place with a NW climate, and guess what's happening today - the day that we're moving all our crap out of the place? It's raining. Not torrential, but it's coming down.

oh, I forgot to mention that I can't move into my new place until the 13th. So I'm moving into a friend's place today for 10 days, then I'm moving again. Yes, that's right, I get to move TWICE.

AP - you can talk my ear off anytime. I always worry that I talk your ear off - we just have random access conversation. Anyway, i've not been getting anything done anyway....
Christine Nectarine
zoya, does that mean you are moving on FRIDAY the 13th? hee, hope you're not supersticious! maybe the friday the 13th bad luck and the moving bad luck will cancel each other out!
(sorry, i shouldn't have pointed that out, i'm not trying to be cruel, honestly!)
zoya
actually I love friday the 13th, it's always been a really good day for me. So it's not a bad thing at all....

girltrouble
I'm in a place with a NW climate, and guess what's happening today - the day that we're moving all our crap out of the place? It's raining. Not torrential, but it's coming down.

zoya, i am weeping in sympathy. i usually love the rain, but when you are moving? !#$%&*! i hate it.

but you can bust...that's good right? smile.gif
Lilacgypsy1
[quote name='auralpoison' date='Mar 2 2009, 05:45 PM' post='234955']
Y'know, I never thought I'd say this, but I am deeply envious of Zoya for moving. Truly. I'd kill for my fresh start to finally begin. I miss having a space of my own that reflects ME & not my mother's weird clutter & obsessions. Unicorns, owls, pigs, that atrocious & somewhat menacing painting of the bears having a picnic. I know that white one has it in for me!

I've been living in a house full of shit that isn't my own for so long now that I don't know what to do. After nearly two years I've decided to get my things out of storage, only to have them go into storage in the basement here because there's no place to put it. I keep throwing shit out, only to comeback & find that for every bag I toss another two pop up in it's place. The stagnation is maddening. Every day I think about just tossing a match to it all & running away to Borneo.

AP- You have just uttered what i have been experiencing and feeling for I don't know how long.....I thought I was the only person on the planet in this situation....the clutter, the visiting my posessions in the basement and wondering if they'll ever see light. God I have to stop now or get REALLY depressed. Hang in there.

Back to lurking (and googling plane tickets to anywhere)
auralpoison
What is the THE beyond depression? What is it? How do I find it, pinpoint it & move beyond it?

Oh, wait. It's the STOOGES. MAKE ME WANT TO TAKE A BITE!
starshine
Stupid people coming to my house to buy drugs. Go next door!

And bullies. At 60, you're too old to be a bully, so please stop being one. It's really not that appealing. And supervisor's who don't fire bullies, even though we work in a women's shelter. A safe place for women to be free from violence and abuse. For some reason there seems to be a disconnect between safe haven and a particular a***hole staff member who likes to bully all the new staff and make them cry. Grrr.

Good luck moving Zoya! And I so agree with Sybarite, if you can afford to pay someone to do the heavy lifting it makes such a difference. I was only able to do it once but it was the best move I ever had!
ululah
I really don't want to go to my coworker's wedding shower. She's in her late thirties, makes twice as much as me, owns her own home, and lives with her fiancee already. I like her and I wish her well, but isn't the point of a shower to give gifts to a young couple just starting out? Why does she need to ask for more towels, silverware, etc.?
missladyj
cob: people who doggy paddle in a lap lane that is clearly marked FAST on top of getting in the lane without letting the other person who is swimming circles in the lane know that you are getting in the fucking lane so we can discuss how to split the lane so I don't run you over. Maybe next time I will just run your ass over. There is a whole lane for slow swimmers where you can doggy paddle to your heart's delight asshole.
auralpoison
Another word cob, much like "totes" is "obvs". I have this horrifying fear that one day there will be a universal language of all abbreviated net speak.
girltrouble
people who call transgendered women/girls "gurls". as if spelling something in a way that looks moronic was anything other than disrespectful. honestly, it's a good thing words don't appear as comic book speech balloons, because if you said that to me irl, i would skin you, rend your organs and then rip your head from your body. it pisses me off to the point of chewing bullets into dust.
auralpoison
Spelling is weird, though. Because of popular parlance & word reclamation the supposed negative "gay" has become "ghey" or "geigh" when spoken amongst the queer-friendly set as a negative whether it's PC or not. Also, it's apparently okay to call butch women or kings "bois", so the vernacular of "gurls" for transgendered M2F is somewhat accepted. It's better than "shemale". It all depends upon how the person defines themselves (or not.) & if they feel the need to get pissed about it or not. Were I a transwoman? Yeah, motherfucker, you best not be calling me "gurl". Because I AM a girl, whether I still have a weiner or not.
girltrouble
well i get all of that. and boi isn't offensive to me at all. but gurl looks dumb. it looks like it was spelled by some toothless hillbilly moron. yeah i get why it exists, and strangely shemale isn't as offensive to me, but then i see that as something different all together-- to me shemales are drag queens who choose to live full time for whatever reason, and seeing as i'm non-op, i can relate to that. this is bigoted of me i'm sure, but "gurl" seems like the sort of stupidness that some cd came up with while wearing a combo poodle skirt wedding dress.
raisingirl
Wait... wait... am I the only one that remembers the groundbreaking gURL.com?!
grrrlyouwant
no, indeed you're not raisin! i loved that site back in the day. smile.gif
girltrouble
lol... i was looking at a book that was published by them today at toys/babeland.

...but i still think the spelling looks dumb.
raisingirl
Here are a few:
--people who insist that their way is the right way and don't want to even hear you out
--people who don't return phone calls when said phone calls could lead to job interviews
--greedy assholes
--people who are flaky
--hiring freezes at companies I'd like to work for
--my snot-filled nose: how many tissues do I have to go through?
--the not-so-pleasant smell in my car
--mud
--anything having to do with the octomom: just shut the fuck up and go away, far far away.
sybarite
The busier I get, the more I hate flaky people. Be useful or get out of my way. /entitled 80s moment

Missladyj, I hate bad lane etiquette. Fina used to post in here about the same thing. I have nipped at the slow-ass heels of more people doing sidestroke or similar in the fast lane than I can count.
missladyj
syb,
it is horrible. You'd think they could read a GIANT sign that says FAST LANE and realize that doggie paddling is not fast. If I start doing butterfly sprints down the lane I will smack you if y ou dont get out of my way!!! I try to swim laps with a team where everyone is on the same interval but I don't always make it. I will hurt someone some day.
raisingirl
I'm gonna punch the next person who complains about their job or how bad it is that another Monday is here. You aren't supposed to say that kind of stuff to someone who's unemployed and is dying to be out there working again. JUST SHUT THE HELL UP. At least you are employed, you ungrateful git.
zoya
cob - being offered a project on Friday, and initially accepting it - but agreeing to talk to client more on Saturday about it. Doing some research and realizing that project will take more time and work than I thought, and realizing I can't juggle it with current project I have, despite initially thinking I could. Now playing phone tag with client who offered new project, needing to tell them I can't do it and wanting to refer someone else who's actually more qualified than me for it. The more minutes that tick by without them getting back to me, the more I'm feeling this will be really awkward, since they still think I will do it. yuck.
candycane_girl
Group work. The one comment I get from adults on this is "Well they give students group work because so many jobs require people to work together". Well that's great, but group work in school almost never results in doing work the way that professionals most likely would. There is a ton of difficulty just trying to arrange a time to meet because of different schedules, there is always a weak link who contributes almost nothing and one person who has to take charge to avoid having the project turn into a complete mess.

And another thing, my group members pretty much shrug off every fucking suggestion I make without actually offering any alternatives.

What the fuck is the point of this? We all did group work in high school, there is no need to do it now!

One last thing, I hate the fact that nearly 50% of my mark is contingent on a project that I'm doing with people who are stupid and don't give a fuck.
raisingirl
Raging PMS. Saying things I probably shouldn't have. mad.gif
angie_21
wow, I had blocked group work from my memory. *shudder*

Right now I am also mad at people who say they will do something, but they don't. I could have done it myself a week ago, but no, you went and promised you would do it, and here I am still waiting.... Don't say you'll do it if you don't have time!
zoya
cob: everyone who tells me *how great* mineral make up is and that I should use it, when I say that it just doesn't work on my skin. Makeup artist friend who just put some on me - and it does look nice except around my eyes, where it just settled into the lines I have there and makes them WAY more noticeable than when I use the normal super moisturizing foundation I normally use. I KNOW MY SKIN, PEOPLE!!! I look like a fucking 50 year old lady who's slathered on the powder and looks like the cracked surface of a dry lake bed.

anti-cob: my eyebrows, which she just tweezed, look amazing. Angelina Jolie style.
sybarite
I hate working with people, full stop. I'm apparently good at it but I hate it. Shit slows me down.
lilacwine13
Group work was the bane of my existence in college and high school. I would much rather do everything myself than deal with group dynamics.

I'm gonna punch the next person who complains about their job or how bad it is that another Monday is here. You aren't supposed to say that kind of stuff to someone who's unemployed and is dying to be out there working again. JUST SHUT THE HELL UP. At least you are employed, you ungrateful git.

Same here, raisin. I recently got an email from a friend who said he really shouldn't accept a job, that it only paid X amount an hour (a pretty good amount for starting positions in our field), but what the hell, he was going to take it. Shut up, I'm at the point where I would kill to have something like that happen, there is a recession going on that makes jobs scarce, I've received nothing from any of the resumes I've sent out and am getting discouraged.
humanist77
All the crazy people constantly hollering outside my apartment. It goes on throughout the day, but their favorite time is at 3 a.m. when I have to work early the next day. I was woken up twice in the last 6 hours by people screaming at each other-not even necessarily fighting, just yelling for the hell of it. I'm always thinking to them 'Just go home and go to bed, you lunatics!' Not to mention the police/ambulance sirens every 2 hours and the noisy shit cars going by. Oh, I love living in the fucking city.
Yes, I am awake right now because of the last occurrence. And yes I have to be at work in a couple hours. I got about 5 hours of sleep total. Joy.
pollystyrene
Guess that guy at the liquor store forgot about something else the city has to offer, huh, humanist? wink.gif

(We stopped at a liquor store in Wrigleyville last night and got into a conversation with the guy behind the counter when he found out humanist lived in the city and I lived in the suburbs. He thought all we had out here was trees and living in the city was the be-all and end-all....whatever. rolleyes.gif)

It's actually not true, we get wackos yelling at all hours, too. Just not as often.
konphusion26
Cob: smart mouthed, disrespectful, and ungrateful teenagers!! If I behaved the way they did today, my mother would have slapped me into next week.

this is why I have no children!
bunnyb
cob: when people use question marks when it's not a question. It's not rocket science, people? (that's a deliberate pastiche). If you are unsure or are trying to convey that you are deliberating the point then use dot dot fucking dot but not a question mark. It is one of the most annoying things to read and you come across as an idiot. Oh, wait, you are?
auralpoison
Bunny, I see & I raise a you a cob:

I hate it when people can't use ellipses . . . correctly. To wit . . . "The use of ellipses can either mislead or clarify, and the reader must rely on the good intentions of the writer who uses them." I don't doubt their good intentions, I doubt their grasp of proper punctuation.
culturehandy
That reminds me of the book; Eats shoots and leaves, and the end result of poor grammar.
auralpoison
I've gotten back into the swing of doing editorial work & the lack of basic skills is baffling. I KNOW some of these people went to college! How did they graduate?! Were they depending solely on Word Perfect or whatever to correct their mistakes or was somebody else reviewing/typing up their papers for them? It's a conundrum, I tell you.
bunnyb
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Mar 25 2009, 01:20 PM) *
That reminds me of the book; Eats shoots and leaves, and the end result of poor grammar.

CH, the poor grammar of the title (with a comma) was intentional because it was a zero approach to poor punctuation; by adding a superfluous comma it completely changes the meaning of the panda's actions.
roseviolet
AP, I have encountered many people in recent years who use ellipses in place of a simple period at the end of a sentence. It looks something like this ... it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever ... they turn a paragraph that should be made up of multiple sentences into one massive sentence ... I don't know if they're trying to portray stream-of-consciousness writing or what ... mostly I don't understand why they take the time to type 3 periods when just one will do ... they even end their paragraphs with ellipses ... it makes no sense at all ...
culturehandy
My best friend does that!! All the time. Drives me batty.

as for eats shoots and leaves, I read the flap from the book on where the title came from and I laughed so hard.

I know that I make grammar mistakes, but at least my writing is still readable! At least my typing, don't get me tarted on my piss poor chicken scrawl.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.