Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corn Cob Up My Ass: Pet Peeves 7
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The F-Word
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
bunnyb
I'm guilty of using ellipses in that way as a means to demonstrate something unsaid (which is definitely an omission so still follows the rule of use). Anyway, the grammar police have made their point ... wink.gif
stargazer
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Mar 25 2009, 08:42 AM) *
I've gotten back into the swing of doing editorial work & the lack of basic skills is baffling. I KNOW some of these people went to college! How did they graduate?! Were they depending solely on Word Perfect or whatever to correct their mistakes or was somebody else reviewing/typing up their papers for them? It's a conundrum, I tell you.

I review journal articles myself. I read one article and thought, "This person has no clue on how to write a research article." It did make me feel better about my skills.

Oh, I use the ellipses as a stream of consciousness thing sometimes.

Cob: a couple of friends, when i ask about their thoughts/comments regarding an issue or situation, immediately reference their SO/partner/boyfriend, "Well, ___________ says" Really? I know you are smart and have a brain. I asked about YOUR thoughts about the issue. Since when did entering a relationship lobotomize a person. blink.gif
candycane_girl
This thread is cracking me up! However, it's also a sad reflection on the lack of basic grammar skills of young people. I know that when I was in elementary school the Ontario government wanted to change the curriculum and not bother teaching children proper grammar anymore. And then everyone complains that kids can't spell or put together a proper sentence.

I think bad spelling still upsets me more than anything. On Jezebel they had a story about Tyra Banks' talk show and an episode on texting. They had a bunch of teens respond and one tried to type the word "situation". She spelled it "setuwaytion". Yesterday my partner for a group project emailed me. She tried to write "might" and instead wrote "mite". Like a dust mite. And just to note, this girl is a 3rd year university student.
auralpoison
Bad spelling still irks me, but after working with more than a few LD writers I've grown more tolerant. Some people's brains just are wired differently. If you don't have an LD it is often just inexcusable laziness, though.

Netspeak/texting has made the morass all the more difficult. The way things are condensed leads people to not bother to learn how a word is actually spelled. I find "site" & "sight" are commonly confused.
roseviolet
CCGirl, you just chilled my bones. I actually shuddered.

Bunny, not to worry. I think you use them correctly. You certainly are not at all guilty of what I described. Everything they write is just ellipse after ellipse after ellipse. Where do they learn this?
Christine Nectarine
AP, I’m with you.

Like CandyCaneGirl, I was subject to an Ontario school curriculum that entirely neglected to teach basic grammar skills. I was acutely aware of this when I had to look up the meaning of “ellipses” when you mentioned them a few posts ago, and BTW, I humbly admit to being one of those who overuse them sometimes.

Any ability I have to use proper grammar I attribute to a lifetime love or reading, and a natural ease with language and spelling. A is someone with an LD, and I know it drives him batty to have such difficulty expressing himself in a way that reflects his intelligence. His spelling is especially bad. That said, at least he knows is sucks, and will get me or someone else to check things for him before sending them out into the world. Netspeak/texting abbreviations are fine in the right context, but it bugs me to no end when I see them in professional communication.

COB - Kiddo got a “level 2” early readers book the other day that actually used “lols” as a word. Not okay!

pollystyrene
I, too, am probably guilty of overusing ellipses (ellipsi?) If I do it too much, I usually notice it and edit. On the wedding message board I post on, there's someone who only uses ellipses. For everything. No other punctuation. As bad as the people who post in all caps. I mean, the internet's been available to the average consumer for what, 12, 15 years now? And people still don't know it's bad netiquette to post in all caps?

This review of a digital camera was the cause of my latest grammar outrage:

WHAT AN ASOME CAMARA
We baught our camara after in September of last year and was verry proude becouse we bought the camara we wanted our walls are full of pitchers we proudly display this camara takes asome shots even tough our camara no longer works becouse it was droped o the lense and the lense wont retacct I woild defently perches this camara again but becouse it is no longer avable in our area we are going with the 1000is simply becouse it is so simular

The misprounciation of "pictures" drives me crazy when someone says it; actually seeing someone spell it that way makes my brain want to go boom. One of my bgp's mispronounces it that way, and the worst part is that she's an aspiring photographer. I haven't ovaried-up to tell her yet, but she's going to make herself look bad if she keeps doing it.

LeBoy's dad taught a graduate school class a few years ago and he had a student who somehow made it through high school, college, and into this graduate program, writing at essentially a third grade level. This was a business course and her grammar- punctuation and sentence structure- were so bad that it was unreadable. You couldn't understand what she was even trying to say. He couldn't take it, and talked to his department chair about what to do. Apparently he wasn't the first one who wasn't sure what to do about it, because the department chair knew exactly who he was talking about and what her problem was. He failed her- how she got as far as she did was just mind-boggling.

I'm so glad that LeBoy is a grammar-freak, too. I wouldn't be able to live with someone who didn't have a clue about it. We actually debate grammar issues sometimes, in a fun way. We're such dorks.
zoya
cob. HUGE cob. I'm visiting my parents, and though I love them, we couldn't be more unalike. They are totally conservative and if they don't have Fox News on the TV all the time, they have the equivalent on the radio. They also keep up a running commentary on whatever is being said at the moment on the air. I am constantly biting my tongue. I actually lost it yesterday and ended up getting in an argument with them. These conservative news outlets make me crazy. I swear, they bitch about anything that has to do with obama or democrats just for the sake of disagreeing and bitching about it....
girltrouble
zoya, have you tried out doing them? my fun always comes from saying everything is communism. it's hilarous. what gets me not is that they are saying obama is a fascist. sure he isn't interested in tapping our phones and interwebs, instead he only wants to regulate the banks, but by jove, that's what fascism is, by jove. the trains running on time! anytime the government makes rules to make something work, that's fascism! why, even making clocks have sixty seconds and sixty minutes so the trains can run on time is fascism! it's everywhere!

of course getting in an argument you mucked your hand, but you can always tell them you were playing devil's advocate.... (oops... sorry polly.)

btw, that para you quoted gave me vertigo, polly. i've never seen so many spelling errors ever.
you broke muh brainsis.
missladyj
cob: stupid hipsters who think playing songs off their mac book in a dive bar without being able to match a single beat or without one smooth transition makes them a deejay.
YOU ARE NOT A DEEJAY.
If you can't spin vinyl YOU ARE NOT A DEEJAY.
Also you are a total douche nozzle with your lite brite sign that says NO REQUESTS then you take a request and what the fuck do you play MEN WITHOUT HATS!!

so lets review, if you aren't on the wheels of steel YOU ARE NOT A DEEJAY!!

what you are however is a total fucking asshole.

end rant

thank you
zoya
amen missladyj. It's not ironic. it's not hip. it's just awful.

they could at least buy mixing software to create some sort of transition. Oh wait - but you can't transition when the beats don't match.

COB: telling my friend that I wasn't going to go snowboarding today because the storm was supposed to still be going on - waking up and finding not only is the storm over, but there's not a cloud in the sky and it's sunny.
stargazer
missladyj, were you in hipster park? lots of wannabe djs at dive bars there. dry.gif
girltrouble
cob:dan savage. yes, i know everyone outside of seattle loves him, but he's been a loudmouth egotistical ass around here, sticking his nose (and fucking things up) around here. now he sort of running for mayor. he's not serious, of course, but i half hope he ends up getting the job, fucks things up in a more visable way, and becomes a pariah. i'm sick of his yapper.
sybarite
Surely the whole point of DJing is how you put the tracks together?? These people are just breathing jukeboxes.

I am beyond cobs today. I still dislike working with others though, but by now that should be a given...
missladyj
star,
no more dive bars in Liquour Park. no more el chino taco. no more Pontiac. Very sad.
grrrlyouwant
people who slam on their brakes when they see a highway patrol at the side of the road. if you see their car, they've already seen and clocked you going 85+ mph, and dropping to 55 in 2.2 seconds is not going to stop them giving you a ticket. even worse is when people do it when the hp's already got someone pulled over and the officer's out of his car and at the person's window. like omg, they're going to drop what they're doing-giving the person they've got pulled over a ticket-to get back in their car and chase your stupid ass down to give you one.
twelve_percent
Hipsters! Ha ha! Fuckers!

cob: cheap stoners
pollystyrene
QUOTE(missladyj @ Mar 27 2009, 05:49 PM) *
star,
no more dive bars in Liquour Park. no more el chino taco. no more Pontiac. Very sad.

I was only at The Pontiac once for a live karaoke thing, and it was a good bar. Even thought they didn't carry Red Stripe.
missladyj
the owner of the Pontiac introduced me to hubby who's name was in written in the concrete floor. We spent a lot of time there. Now where the hell am I gonna go to sit outside and drink? shit.
stargazer
QUOTE(missladyj @ Mar 27 2009, 05:49 PM) *

well, frack me. a girl moves to the east coast for a year and all kinds of shit close. pontiac cafe. filter. damn.

yeah, the term "dive bar" is about as relevant as the term "punk" or "nerd/geek." then again, i'm not really big on scenes. i don't like to become too familiar with some places. once i figured that i've seen what i've need to see, i move on. what can i say, i get easily bored.
culturehandy
cob: Corrupt Ipods! I had to reformat my ipod and now it's restoring, then I'll have to synch my ipod, which has almost 30GB's of music on it. If the restoration actually works.

zoya
CH - I hate that. ugh.

COB (and this has ALWAYS been a cob of mine, it's just rearing it's head lately) - when people say they'll do something and they don't. If you don't intend to do something, people, just don't say it in the first place. Maybe it's just me - I NEVER (and I do mean never) say I'll do something unless I can back it up. If I say I'm gonna be somewhere, I will. If I say I'm gonna do something, I will. If I don't intend to do it, then I will either just not say that I'll do it, or tell you I'm not certain I can. I swear to god, there have to be other people in the world who do the same thing, I cannot be the only person who always backs up what they say they'll do. I don't care what the circumstances are, there's never an excuse for saying you'll do something you don't intend to do. Or not owning up if you can't. bleh.
candycane_girl
Zoya, that drives me crazy, too. It's a huge problem in my family with my brother and chores. He says he'll do something for days and days and he never does it. It always ends with my dad angrily doing whatever was supposed to be done in the first place.
zoya
yes!!! all of that! Add to that, guys who say they'll call you and DON'T. (and I'm not talking that vague 'i'll call you' but a specific "i'll talk to you before you leave town") friends who say they want to make plans on a specific day for lunch and don't follow through (ya could at least call to tell me you can't, instead of me chasing you down) The computer repair place fixing my printer who didn't call me to tell me it was done like they said they would, and I've been so busy I knew I'd forget and was counting on that call - now they are going to have to SEND it to me... it goes on and on. Honestly, I don't care if someone can't manage to do something - JUST DON"T SAY YOU"LL DO IT. or TELL ME YOU CAN'T.

argh!

raisingirl
I totally agree, Zoya. I am a woman of my word and I hate it when other people aren't. I volunteered to do something today and now that the time is here, I'm not too keen to do it (who knows, maybe it will be fun -- I am trying to keep an open mind here), BUT I AM STILL GOING TO DO IT because I said I would. That is priority #1.
culturehandy
this may be petty of me, but I really don't like it when someone is new to something and not only doesn't introduce themselves but also gets on a soapbox and then tries to lecture.
stargazer
cob: people who complain and instead of being part of the solution, they want to remain part of the problem. i belong to a professional organization and one member instead of giving his own opinion or thoughts, spoke through a quote. a fucking quote. a lameass quote about being silent, how silence spreads, and to the point where no one knows what to even say. um, ok. too loaded? or, do you think it is a waste? i will admit i am TOO idealistic about the way i believe the way things should be. most importantly, i'm terribly a big believer in social justice in whatever form it takes. and sometimes, i think, if people (women, minorities, glbt) just settled and did not speak up, why bother think...where the hell would we be?!? so every time i worry i am making too big of a deal about things...i remember the people who have come before me.

then again, i shouldn't read emails when i'm tired. wink.gif
candycane_girl
CH, I agree. It's so annoying when people that no one knows just start acting like an authority on something and everyone should listen to him/her.
kittenb
This might have to go in a thread more suitable for actual rage but Jezebel has disabled comments. It may not be forever, but it will be for a while. That is just so arrogant!!! One of the things that has kept me coming back to that site even when I had big problems with some of the articles was the comments. If whomever owns Jezebel cannot afford to have a comment moderator, then the site should close. I thought one of the goals of Jezebel was conversation and debate. By making it comment-free, it is clear that all they really want is a silent audiance.
candycane_girl
kitten, what is the deal with Jezebel comments? I've heard that if you say something they don't like they take all the vowels out of it so that it's nearly impossible to read. They call it getting disemvoweled or something. It also kind of bugs me that you have to practically audition just to be a commenter. Like, if your comments aren't snarky enough they won't be approved.
kittenb
I don't comment there often because there are so many comments that someone has often said exactly what I was thinking. However, it can get very clichish (something that Bust has also been accused of rolleyes.gif .) I don't hold that against the site.
I just find it outrageous that we, the readers and the source of their income, are so easily dismissed. If that is how little they value my business, then see how little of it they will get.
BTW, I sent the editors and email saying all of this so that I wasn't just complaining about it here. I feel a little better about that.
stargazer
uh, are you sure it is not an April Fool's joke?
Christine Nectarine
COB: People listening to radio at work. I’d rather suffer in silence than listen to “lite rock” for 7.5 hours. Put on some bloody headphones!
Allison-Shine
QUOTE(Christine Nectarine @ Apr 1 2009, 01:20 PM) *
COB: People listening to radio at work. I’d rather suffer in silence than listen to “lite rock” for 7.5 hours. Put on some bloody headphones!

Radio sucks, its "blah blah blah" then three overplayed songs, then more "blah blah blah", then three more overplayed songs. 7.5 or more staight hours of that is indeed torture!
Allison-Shine
Oh I should actually add something to this thread, How about people who do not use their turn signals on making a left turn. I'm like WTF, how lazy and stupid can you be???
culturehandy
Cob: It's April and it's still fucking snowing here.

It was coming along so nice then two weeks in a row, too much snow.

Fucking hell.
Allison-Shine
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Apr 1 2009, 04:25 PM) *
Cob: It's April and it's still fucking snowing here.

It was coming along so nice then two weeks in a row, too much snow.

Fucking hell.

Yeah, sounds like where I live too, Winter sucks ass!
doodlebug
Tuesday evening, a new friend was complaining about her body, how fat she was, how ugly her body was, etc.....such self-hate, ya know? After a while of trying to convince her of her beauty, I finally gave her a good look (she was hiding in baggy clothes), and said, "What size are you?" Turns out she is the same size as me. I said as much, and added (as nicely as I possibly could), "That means every time you insult your body, you're insulting mine, too."

Ding, ding, ding. "Gosh, I never thought of it that way!" And she promised never to do it again. Well, she might, but at least she won't in my presence.

Honestly, why do we do this, not only to ourselves, but to other women????
pollystyrene
I feel the same way, doodle- when people who are like a size 12 complain that they're fat, and it's like, "Jeez, what does that make me?!?!" I don't usually feel bad about myself as a result, but it does make me wonder what they think I look like? Even then, it usually doesn't bother me, just the idea that people's perception is that skewed is scary.
stargazer
well, as someone with slight body dysmorphic disorder about my own looks, i can tell you that when i criticize my own body, i am SO not thinking of you. i see other people in a totally different light compared to myself.

really. i'm that bad. i'm too concerned with my own vanity. excuse me, i must go look at my reflection in the lake right now.... wink.gif
lilacwine13
I still sometimes complain about my body, even though I'm comfortable about my size and I feel bad about it. I'm not thinking about anyone else, just myself and while I know I'm not big, there is still something inside me that perceives parts of me as huge. Unfortunately, those parts aren't the ones that are supposed to be huge according to society.

Cob: Trying to make plans to meet up with people and having them be really vague about the details. My internet connection is not reliable at the moment so I need to know when I should be in town and how to get a hold of you via phone.
girltrouble
cob:fighting neighbors. i don't know what is going on next door, but the punching-holes-in-the-walls, scream-at-the-top-of-their-lungs-in-another-language, throwing-who-knows-what-but-it-sure-sounds-heavy, kicking, banging, time-to-call-the-cops, nameless, verbal and physically abusive, rable-rousers always seem to move into the apartement next to mine every 2-3 years.

fuck.
angie_21
We've shared neighbours, I bet! The last ones argued every night from 3am to 6 am for the last 2 weeks before they finally moved out. Now it is just the inconsiderate assholes who feel that slamming cupboard doors and running the laundry machines, and burning toast and setting off the fire alarm are equally acceptable at 2 am as they are at 2 in the afternoon. No, those are things you just don't do in an apartment at night.

I will be more careful with my ellipses from now on! It is definitely a stream of consciousness thing for me, because I sometimes write the way I would be talking, with ... to represent a pause in thought.
culturehandy
Cob: when you make plans with someone and they let you know beyond the last minute that they don't want to do anything, so it's too late for you to make alternate plans. PLUS the people who did ask you to do something, and whom you've already said no too would know that they are nothing more than a fallback because friend one let you know too late in the evening that they don't want to do anything.
missladyj
cob: getting an email response which makes it clear that YOU DID NOT READ the email I sent you which makes me think you are a total moron. but I already knew that didn't I?
doodlebug
cob: I sort of knew my new boss could be a bit of a manipulative 'tard (albeit a smart one - maybe "manipulative savant" is the better phrase), but this morning I got my own proof of it.

More on this during a moment when I have more than 45 minutes....but right now I have to get my work done so that I can take an early lunch and go see my lover/bandmate perform downtown at the city's Spring Madness festival. WHEE!!! I lurve him. I am his Number One Fan. biggrin.gif
doodlebug
cob: when you dare to have an opinion of your own that happens to not conform to the status quo, and people reach for that conveniently dismissive old insult: HIPPIE.

Which is funny. 'Cos the chesnut I used to get was: COMMUNIST.

Which is really funny. 'Cos I've never considered myself either one.
auralpoison
Cob: People that work their fucking politics into EVERYTHING. You could ask them about their proctologist appointment & they'd tell you that their doctor dug around like the Bush administration looking for WoMDs.

Woman: "I wish weeds would pull themselves. I'm beyond tired."

Annoying politico bf: "I'm beat. Pushing the hedge hog around the pasture fence has me wore out worse than a Minute Man trying to chase down illegal invaders on the southern border!"

Me: Yeah, you really gotta take care of your teeth. You could get heart failure or blood poisoning if you aren't careful.

Asshat sitting two tables away: Well, y'know, if the Democrats get their way then your tax dollars are going to pay for somebody else's dentistry!

You're a conservative. Anti-gay, anti-Obama, anti-choice, anti-socialised healthcare, anti-common sense in the name of the party. You're a war-mongering, gun-nut, bible-thumping, SUV gas-guzzling, Mexican fence building, chodesmoker. WE FUCKING GOT IT, YOU DON'T NEED TO CRAM IT INTO EVERY GODDAMNED CONVERSATION YOU HAVE WITH SOMEBODY. IT'S FUCKING IRRITATING.
zoya
this new fucking computer. while it's all spiffy and apple-y, it's making me crazy because it doesn't behave like my old one. I just can't get used to the fact that the "mouse" button is integrated into the track pad, and I keep hitting the wrong place, and it does nothing. It's making me FUCKING CRAZY.

ETA - one more - when someone I would really like to talk to via IM is online, and isn't saying hello. and no, I'm not gonna say hello first. it's this guy I kinda dig and I told him the way to keep in touch with me was via IM. so the ball is in his court. bleh. bleh. bleh.
doodlebug
Okay. I realize that I don't even look 40 yet. I have come to accept that I will likely be ID'd whenever I buy cigarettes.

I also realize that Soulman, though only 56, is a craggy-looking old fart with hair and goatee that are nearly all grey.

But honest-to-christ, I am so fucking sick - SOOOO fucking sick - of all the dirty and/or weird looks I get from the middle-aged and older ladies whenever I am with Soulman and it's clear that we are lovers.

It's not like we're into serious PDA or anything. We hold hands, or maybe I tuck my hand into the crook of his arm. Or maybe - just maybe - I might have my arm around his waist and even give him a peck on the cheek.

It pisses me off to no end to see all these strange looks. It makes me wonder if they think I'm some kind of trophy girlfriend for him. Or that I'm some kind of golddigger. Or that he's just a letch and I've got daddy issues, or some horrible, gross thing like that. Or maybe they're just jealous and pissed off that I took one of "their" men away from their age group's dating pool. I don't know.

I'm getting more and more annoyed as the months roll by.

And all I can do is ignore it and keep holding my head high. I love him. He's an amazing man. And I'm a kickass feminist with nothing to prove to anyone. And I won't let anyone try to shame us for the fact that we happen to be sixteen years apart in our linear existence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.