Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corn Cob Up My Ass: Pet Peeves 7
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The F-Word
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
shoveit
FREAKIN COB: the antibiotics my dr gave for my TONSILITIS are so bulky that i CANNOT swallow them!!! If i cant swallow water, where is the sense in giivng me pills as big as bloody gob stoppers!!?! I praise your superior logic mr medicine man.
doodlebug
This is becoming a real sore fucking cob for me.

Why is it every time I go out to see a band with a woman in it, she never, ever plays a goddamned instrument? It's a huge disappointment. I know such women musicians exist, but apparently they don't go out in public to play rock or blues or soul or country or even pop or alternative in my town. Oh, they'll sing. Sure, they'll sing. But pick up an instrument? What?? Oh, that's just for folkies and bluegrass types....

ARRRGGHHH!!! I am so tired of going to clubs and bars and seeing the same old shit. All-male bands dragging out the same tired old songs. And on the odd occasion - very odd occasion in this town - when you see a woman in a band? She's pretty much trying to drip sex over a microphone, but never an instrument, no. Lead or back-up, it doesn't matter - just sing, girlie, and don't get uppity thinking you're a REAL musician or something. I know ONE woman in this town who fronts a band, whose voice I would consider enough of an instrument to stand on its own. And she's got her soul-stage presence together - she could be Tina Turner. But the rest? Ugh.

It just makes me work harder at my playing, though. Honestly. It makes me more determined to keep getting out there, bad a guitarist as I am, and covering the Bonnie Raitt and the Chrissie Hynde and the Joni Mitchell and the Sheryl Crow and the Dixie Chicks with my guitar in my hands, because those women deserve some respect for getting out there with their goddamned instruments.

Ok, I'm done now.
missladyj
Whenever I go to a show and see a woman tearing it up on the mic, bass or drums I ALWAYS make sure to shake her hand and tell her she is badass!

so Doodle, let me shake your hand and tell you you are BAD ASS!! Keep on rockin mamma!
angie_21
Hey doodle, I completely agree. I can't play myself, but I do love rock and folk rock very much, and am constantly frustrated by the fact that I am forced to list mostly male singers and bands as my favorite music. Is it the system? Is it self esteem? Is it that mostly men have the ego (or the time?) to go out there and play open mics and promote themselves? And why, when women do play, do they feel the need to sing whiny, boring, fake-bluegrass crap in reedy, warbling voices? Dude, I don't care how earnest you sound, if your real voice isn't even coming out when you sing, it's still not engaging!

so, yes please, keep rockin your guitar!
anna k
doodle, I thought the same myself when I recently saw a woman singing with a band. They were her backup, but she was trying to work this indie cutie thing, and she had a nice folky voice, but it made me think of female indie darlings who are cute and adorable (Emily Haines, Jenny Lewis, Zooey Deschanel).
hellotampon
I just got home from work. We ordered Chinese food and I didn't eat all mine, so when I got home I offered it my boyfriend. Meanwhile I sat down with a thing of ice cream. He sits there inhaling the food and chewing with his mouth open. He didn't even bother to heat it up. Then when he's finished he turns to me with this dumb look on his face and asks if he can have some ice cream. And now he's picking at the leftover rice and eating it with his fingers. And now he's upset because I'm acting pissy towards him.

In conclusion, I absolutely HATE it when people don't chew their food and eat with their mouths open. What's the point of eating if you're going to do it so fucking fast you don't even taste any of it?
auralpoison
QUOTE(doodlebug @ Jun 28 2009, 05:38 PM) *
This is becoming a real sore fucking cob for me.

Why is it every time I go out to see a band with a woman in it, she never, ever plays a goddamned instrument? It's a huge disappointment. I know such women musicians exist, but apparently they don't go out in public to play rock or blues or soul or country or even pop or alternative in my town. Oh, they'll sing. Sure, they'll sing. But pick up an instrument? What?? Oh, that's just for folkies and bluegrass types....

ARRRGGHHH!!! I am so tired of going to clubs and bars and seeing the same old shit. All-male bands dragging out the same tired old songs. And on the odd occasion - very odd occasion in this town - when you see a woman in a band? She's pretty much trying to drip sex over a microphone, but never an instrument, no. Lead or back-up, it doesn't matter - just sing, girlie, and don't get uppity thinking you're a REAL musician or something. I know ONE woman in this town who fronts a band, whose voice I would consider enough of an instrument to stand on its own. And she's got her soul-stage presence together - she could be Tina Turner. But the rest? Ugh.

It just makes me work harder at my playing, though. Honestly. It makes me more determined to keep getting out there, bad a guitarist as I am, and covering the Bonnie Raitt and the Chrissie Hynde and the Joni Mitchell and the Sheryl Crow and the Dixie Chicks with my guitar in my hands, because those women deserve some respect for getting out there with their goddamned instruments.

Ok, I'm done now.

Y'know what? I got tired of being token chick bass player. I didn't pick up the bass because it seemed easier, I picked it up because I LIKED it. Also, my name is not Kim. Kim Deal, Kim Coletta, Kim Gordon are all fine, they all have their own styles & shit. But I was/am not them. I have my own style.

I'm actually a good musician, but I quit doing band-y shit because it got tiresome being constantly underestimated. The last band I was in I sang. Our bassist took a sabbatical to China & the guys started fretting about finding a replacement. "Um, what about me, guys? I mean, I helped write the fucking songs, I do know how to play them." And play them I did. Even though I was better than our original guy, when he came back I was relegated to just singing again. And I just up & quit because I was pissed.

You should check out the Heartless Bastards, Doodle. They're out of Dayton, Ohio & are led by vocalist/multi-instrumentalist Erika Wennerstrom. They kick much ass. They ARE rock.

From Stylus: "(Erika Wennerstrom) and her two band mates have created an album with more rocking songs and fat hooks than most bands can dream of. It's not just that they rock, it's that you believe what you hear, that they love the sound they make, that Wennerstrom lays her soul bare in her lyrics without sounding like Sarah McLachlan, that the women of rock who labored to make it OK for a girl to dream of playing guitar deserve far better than Avril Lavigne or Kelly Osbourne as their descendants."

I've been thinking about buying my happy ass a stand up as of late.
doodlebug
I've got the entire copy of The Mountain on DL queue, thanks to your recommendation, AP!

I totally believe what you're saying about women musicians trying to get into bands. Since we are searching for a drummer, I'll make sure to put out a "women welcome" sign. We almost had a woman drummer for the Canada Day gig, and everyone in the band was excited, but she put her back out. sad.gif

I've taken it for granted, maybe, since I came at this late in life and seemed to find my way into the "right" circle of musicians from the beginning....but I've been really amazingly lucky with the band members I've got. They not only embrace women musicians as equals, they don't let me get away with not working on my musicianship - you know, "just" being a singer. They are on a never-ending quest to stuff theory into my head and get my hands flying around the neck of the guitar.

The Anarchist is salivating for a stand-up. We actually have a half-made one, crafted by a wood craftsman, but he gave up after the basics because he's not a musician and he doesn't know how to set it up properly. So we are all building a stand-up, basically! It's got this rectangular shaped base with a curved top, really cool.
doodlebug
cob: rain.

cob: non-stop rain in July.

cob: non-stop fucking rain in fucking July on a fucking Monday.

candycane_girl
cob: having to play telephone tag with the seamstress at an Indian clothing store because my dumbass dad doesn't want my mom to pick up the clothing when we originally scheduled so now I'm trying to see if I can get the clothes made sooner. Oh no, she can't come up here when we originally planned because they have a wedding to go to that weekend and if my dad went on his own it "wouldn't look nice". No matter that we're not particularly close to the girl getting married and that my mom has said she really doesn't care about going to that wedding. I swear I am thisclose to calling my dad and bitching him out for messing up an otherwise totally logical plan.
missladyj
cob: people who can't be bothered to get out of the way when the hear sirens and almost get hit by a fire truck on it's way to an EMERGENCY! what is wrong with you. Where you have to go isn't that important!
culturehandy
I'm so with you on that. people are like deer in headlights.
bustygirl
How long it takes to load items onto Etsy. I can check my email, facebook, and here in the time it takes 5 photos to upload. *sigh*

On the plus side, Kasey Chambers, Neko Case, and God Help the Girl on Songza are making the time go by sweeter.
lilacwine13
Having a really shitty night and being ignored by the bartender because talking to her boyfriend is more important than a paying customer.

Anticob: The five dollars I saved because of it and the beer in my fridge, which I got for free. Whoo-hoo!
culturehandy
Cob; The way the media adds "gate" to the end of everything now. Spygate, boobgate, nipplegate. Everything has to be some clever "gate"d word or some sort of hybrid word. It was funny and clever at first, now it just makes everyone seem like a peckerhead.
doodlebug
cob: automobile drivers who don't think that bicycles are oncoming traffic when they're at the stop sign and you have the right of way. WTF???

cob: retired people who do their banking, their grocery shopping, their prescription-filling, etc., in between noon and 2 PM during a weekday. HELLO? You have ALL FUCKING DAY to do this! I have the prescribed one hour of free time away from the workplace, and that's got to include me peddling my ass down to the credit union and back. Why do I need five of you in front of me in line, paying every bill you've ever received? Could you not do it at, like, 11:30? Or 2:30? (Also, could you stop cutting off my bicycle with your big-ass Oldsmobiles and Crown Victorias?)
girltrouble
heh. culture said peckerhead.
angie_21
cob: people who whine and complain about not being given something, when they never actually asked for it in the first place. Things don't just float on over to you if you wish hard enough, the least effort you could put in would be to ask people for help, but you haven't even done that much, and still feel you have the right to complain?

doodle, I often work from home, and I run my errands at 10 just so I can avoid the lunch hour rush, so you can't blame me! Although I am also not retired.
No1REMfan
I love this thread...thanks, ladies!

Cob: TUCKER MAX. Obvious, no? Well, I was blissfully unaware of this piece of garbage until a fellow-feminist in my bookclub nominated his masterpieceofshit book, "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" as a bookclub selection and we picked it out of curiosity. I hope it's needless to say but it was the most awful, objectifying, woman-hating, self-aggrandizing, pro-rape, homophobic, regressive, priviliged & entitled, apathetic, dishonest and and irresponsible manifesto I've ever had the displeasure of reading and I am grossly offended at this criminal's success and fame. I did a youtube search on him and really wish I hadn't, not only because watching him defend himself while being given public forums for his nonsense was painful but because the comments below each video clip were so terrible and offensive that I was depressed for days.

If you are looking to become righteously pissed off at the discontents of modern "civilization," take a glance at this book, then light a match.

By the way, I'm not usually an advocate for book-burning but I'm really disgusted that I actually bought this one and I'd like to remove my particular copy from the universe, not ban or censor it. Just clarifying, here...
auralpoison
Cob to add to No1REMfan: They've made that Tucker Max book into a film.
No1REMfan
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Jul 16 2009, 02:10 PM) *
Cob to add to No1REMfan: They've made that Tucker Max book into a film.

I heard. God help us.
culturehandy
Oh dear.

*shudder*
konphusion26
COB: people that talk too dayum much. When I tell a person something in confidence, that doesn't mean you go blabbing your mouth all over my facebook page - misery loves company I guess. Oh well, thank God for the remove friend feature. Obviously he is not a friend. He is cattier than most women I know.

A**hole. NO wonder he's single.
candycane_girl
cob: Going to the grocery store and not being able to find my favourite foods! I actually just checked the websites of the companies and they apparently still make the products so it's obvious that the stupid grocery store is taking their products off the shelves to try and push their own store brands!

Damn you Metro! Damn youuuuuuuu!

Also, in case you're wondering the food in question is Hershey's cookies (um, hello a cookie that tastes like Reese's? Yes, please) and McCain Parisian style pizza. Mmm, pizza with mushrooms, chicken, bacon and spinach! Sooo good!

ETA one more cob: it keeps looking like it's going to rain and then nothing happens. Just rain already!

Also, I looked that the link for that movie and the main character is going to be played by the guy who played Rory's asshole boyfriend on Gilmore Girls.
girltrouble
that's what turned me against trader joe, candy. their replacement sucked ass, so waved bye bye. all of my friends shop there, i refuse.
candycane_girl
It drives me crazy! It really bugs me that the grocery store chain I really like seems to be a subway ride away and I don't feel like riding the subway just to get groceries. Also since I'm downtown a lot of the stores are really small and don't have as much selection as other stores.

I'm curious about this Trader Joe's. I've heard of it but obviously as a Canadian I've never been in one.
missladyj
the only thing I hate about Trader Joe's is when the guy at the register starts to ask me about the frozen fish I 'm purchasing.

LEAVE ME ALONE, quit talking to me and just ring my shit up so I can get the fuck on with my life!
pollystyrene
I love Trader Joe's, but one of their cashiers tried to emasculate LeBoy when he found out the peach cider he was buying was for him and not me, the little woman. Fortunately, unlike that douchebach, LeBoy is secure in his masculinity and does not let his choice of beverages define him.
doodlebug
Speaking of grocery stores, wtf is UP with downtown grocers charging so much freaking more? We have one here, it's part of the same chain as the big discount box store, but the prices are out-freaking-rageous! So if you need to save a little, then instead of being able to pick up your groceries on foot or bicycle, you HAVE to struggle with your groceries on the bus (which provides service every half hour, but only during the daytime), drive up the damned hill, beg a ride, or pay for a taxi. GRRRRR.
treehugger
oh, god I know. The downtown grocers here charge you about three bucks for a tomato..and that's when they are in season!
candycane_girl
You know what else I hate? Seeing all these ads encouraging people to eat Ontario produce and then going to the grocery store only to find all sorts of food from the US. I want my Ontario peaches dammit!
doodlebug
cob: YOU PEOPLE. As in customers who call you YOU PEOPLE, as if your entire place of work is somehow some single hive entity. WE ARE BORG. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

cob: two people calling me YOU PEOPLE before 9 AM.
flanker_ji
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Jul 19 2009, 09:29 AM) *
I love Trader Joe's, but one of their cashiers tried to emasculate LeBoy when he found out the peach cider he was buying was for him and not me, the little woman. Fortunately, unlike that douchebach, LeBoy is secure in his masculinity and does not let his choice of beverages define him.

Oh, this reminded me of a couple of months ago when I went to dinner at an Italian restaurant in my neighborhood with my guy. He ordered pasta with a cream sauce and I ordered pasta arribibiata (spicy tomato sauce). The chef comes out of the kitchen, looks directly at my guy, and asks him how spicy he wants the sauce to be, saying he can get it as hot as he can handle it. I get his attention and tell him I'd only like the sauce moderately spicy. He looks away from me and prompts my guy for an answer, and he has to say, "Actually, she ordered the pasta arribibiata." The chef doesn't even bother to hide his suprise at this, then tries to persuade me to get the sauce really spicy. I have to insist, no, I do know how I like my food, despite the fact that I have a vagina, and I'd like it MODERATELY SPICY, please.
hellotampon
QUOTE(missladyj @ Jul 19 2009, 01:24 PM) *
the only thing I hate about Trader Joe's is when the guy at the register starts to ask me about the frozen fish I 'm purchasing.

LEAVE ME ALONE, quit talking to me and just ring my shit up so I can get the fuck on with my life!

Yeah, I'm with you there. Trust me, I am not going to be offended that you weren't all smiley and chatty and run to your manager to tattle.

And I hate it when stores force their employees to start hounding people the second they walk through the door. As in, every single customer has someone running up to them and saying, "Hi how are you today can I help you find anything?" before they've advanced 10' into the store.
auralpoison
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Jul 20 2009, 12:53 PM) *
Yeah, I'm with you there. Trust me, I am not going to be offended that you weren't all smiley and chatty and run to your manager to tattle.

And I hate it when stores force their employees to start hounding people the second they walk through the door. As in, every single customer has someone running up to them and saying, "Hi how are you today can I help you find anything?" before they've advanced 10' into the store.

Persistant sales people suck. I know that it's management that pushes for the employees to do it, but sometimes they take it too far. I went to one of those Bath & Bodyworks places once & immediately got pounced on by a PERKY sales person. I told her I was fine when she tried to force me to take her silly little basket. Every five minutes she was back with that goddamned basket, I think she thought I was going to shoplift or something. I finally just put the few items I was carrying into her little basket & left. I will not be forced to look stupid carrying a basket!

I get accosted by the people at the check out all the time because I buy what to me is normal food, but what to them is "exotic". They ask a million questions as to what I'm gonna do with my hearts of palm & shit like that. Eat them, duh. But HOW?
missladyj
I hate when I'm in a clothing store and the person working there tells me that the item I'm looking at was in a magazine or is trendy. That is not gonna convince me to buy something. I like what I like whether it is the latest coolest or not. Telling me that J Lo wears a hat like the one I'm looking at is not a selling point for me. I could care two shits less about that. If the peacock feather earrings are cute, I don't give a damm how much Lucky Magazine said they should cost. Bite me.

I also don't need to be shown the three different ways my new skirt will wear. So don't try to show me. I will not hike it up like a tube top because my tits are too big. I am capable of deciding on my own how I will wear the clothes I purchase. I realize that this may be unusual but I am big girl and can figure it out. Step Off.
culturehandy
cob: I am sick and tired of being eye balled and given dirty looks by other women. yes, I know I am thin, and I know I have boobs, but if i could scream and yell that I am also not well in the head and this effects me physically I would! Hey people, because of my mental illness, I find it difficult to eat, and how about those former feelings of worthlessness and thinking my friends are going to abandon me, well, I guess that doesn't matter because I'm thin. ROAR!!
girltrouble
(((((((culture)))))))
doodlebug
(((((CH)))))

today's cob: when the string gets twisted around my inner labia. In a public place. Not near a washroom.
crazyoldcatlady
(((ch)))

cob: people who feel the need to scrape scrape scrape every. last. drop. of yogurt out of the plastic cup, during a lecture or otherwise public setting.
lilacwine13
(((culture))) I got called a fucking bitch the last time I went out with my friends from high school because I've stayed the same size while they gained weight.

I didn't feel like pointing out that I also have a ton of debt from school, problems with depression and I can't get a job in my field because after all, I'm skinny so my life should be perfect. blink.gif
doodlebug
cob: my spoiled, middle-class BRAT of a 20-year old co-worker, who thinks she is not a spoiled brat, but who is completely unaware of her class/economic privilege, who's gotten everything she ever needed/wanted from her parents, still lives (and eats) at home 100% free, managed to land her first job at $18.50/hour and is buying a Mustang convertible with the money (a job that I applied for, but she got because her daddy works here), has probably never met a real live homeless person and had a conversation with them in her short little life.....and spends the day poorbashing, whining that the homeless/poor people who pick cigarette butts from the cans outside our office window should just get jobs, and they shouldn't smoke if they can't afford it, and maybe our company should just put locks on the ashtray lids.

W-T-FUCKITY-MCFUCKINGTON?????????????????? HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU BEING AFFECTED BY THESE PEOPLE? THEY'RE NOT EVEN YOUR CIGARETTE BUTTS, PRINCESS! Most of us smokers don't even mind the butt-pickers.....sometimes we share our cigarettes. So what is it that fucking offends you? Do you really want to yell, "STOP BEING POOR AT ME!"? Does it frighten you? Do you fear poverty because you've had everything in life handed to you on a plate and you know you'd have no idea how to survive?

I'd like to bring my friend Milo the Albino Wino from Nanaimo here for lunch, have a sit with him outside the office window, share my cigs and play some music with him.

ETA: 3 hours later....the little brat said, on a discussion of homelessness and mental illness...."Well, maybe they should just institutionalize them." To which I snapped, "Why should the mentally ill be institutionalized? Have they done anything to deserve being locked up? They're not animals, they're human beings."

It turns out she's completely freaked out when strange poor people come up and ask her for money. I don't think she knows how to look them in the eye and say, "I'm sorry, I can't." Maybe she's afraid they'll bite her.

ETA: her diatribes just now prompted me to leave a fresh, unlit cigarette in the ashcan for the buttpicker dude.
No1REMfan
QUOTE(doodlebug @ Jul 28 2009, 09:50 AM) *
W-T-FUCKITY-MCFUCKINGTON??????????????????

Remarkably well said. My advice to you is to consider that this girl's over-privileged outlook will, sooner or later, catch up with her, whether in the form of actually facing real financial and social problems of her own or being rejected by employers, romantic interests and friends for immaturity, ignorance and general heartlessness. Loneliness is a stiff price to pay for her feelings of utter superiority. Pity this pathetic, whining asshole.
sassygrrl
doodle, I'm sorry. That fucking sucks.

Cob: Stupid sales people(I hate that trendy talk bs) and really dumb cashiers. A cashier the other day in the market didn't know what a lime was. I shit you not.

humanist77
dudes, twice in the last week, including my dear bf, who when I've had problems with an electronic gadget ask me whether I've turned it on and off or removed the battery yet. OF COURSE I HAVE, DIMWIT. Having an X chromosome does not mean I have no technological sense.
I must be one of those especially smart ladies :P
I do love the guy, but he can be typical sometimes.

then they grab the gadget, thinking they'll swoop in and fix it (because I couldn't have possibly tried everything), fiddle with it and give up, with their male ego damaged :D
anna k
then they grab the gadget, thinking they'll swoop in and fix it (because I couldn't have possibly tried everything), fiddle with it and give up, with their male ego damaged biggrin.gif

Sounds like my dad or my brother. smile.gif Or my dad offering to carry my luggage thinking that it's too heavy for me, when it isn't. He doesn't want my soft girl arms to get all sore dragging heavy bags, haha.
hellotampon
Yeah my boyfriend likes to think I'm all weak and shit, because I'm a girl. He gets off on it, probably because he's not a manly man. It's like, you stand behind a cash register all day while I'm at my job lifting people all day.
flanker_ji
I used to get annoyed when men would offer to carry stuff I'm capable of carrying, especially since I'm a large and muscular person. Now it seems like a waste of negative energy. These guys can see I could handle the job if I needed to, they aren't dense. It just seems to be one of those chivalrous things a lot of men wouldn't feel right not doing, like opening a door for a woman.
doodlebug
I remember one of the older dudes at work climbing under my desk to hook up my headset phone, back when I first started. I had only asked him if he still had a copy of the manual. I still remember saying, "I don't need a man to rescue me." But he stayed under the desk anyway, till he got it right.

I'm in kind of an unusual situation with Soulman, where we are business partners AND lovers. He opens doors for me when we are in "couple" mode, but I am right in there with him hauling monitors and axes and other gear, setting up mikes and so on - and expected to share the load, too, as an equal member of the "collective." It's a pretty interesting situation.
angie_21
I was never bothered by men offering to do things for me that demand harder physical work, especially if its a boyfriend or realtive. Usually, it's just nice, and there are not enough gentlemen in the world anymore anyways. I've had men ignore me struggling with things too heavy for me, or even watch me struggle, without offering to help, and THAT pisses me off. I mean, if the situation were reversed, I would offer to help the man. And if I'm on the clock, I will prove I can carry and life just as much as they can, for as long as they can, and they damn well better respect my ability to do so. Sometimes there are things I am not quite strong anough for, and then I also have no problem asking for help - I mean, being pig-headed about it is actually a sign of weakness, and of fear that their ability to do it better might actually make them better. It doesn't, and I get asked to help men lift things too. Teamwork is always the best approach.

Doodle, honestly, I don't know how you can put up with that girl at your workplace. I think I would have beat her over the head with her own expensive shoes or something. If she can't handle realizing that poor and homeless actually exist, she should get a job in the middle of suburbia somewhere where she can live in denial the rest of her life. But remember, don't blame this poor ignorant idiot, blame the parents who let he coast through life and never bothered to teach her any better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.