Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corn Cob Up My Ass: Pet Peeves 7
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The F-Word
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
walkingbitch
"I would totally be there if I were local."

and you are more than welcome when you are!
raisingirl
WB, name a date and let me know and maybe I'll actually show up. rolleyes.gif I think most of the NYC Busties have migrated to LJ-land -- aren't they on your f-list anyway?
missjoy
My cob - pet friendly hotel (which I love, anti-cob there, and actually a nice room) with no garbage cans outside around the hotel - or anywhere near. Ummm... I'm pretty sure you want me to pick up after my dog, and I'm pretty sure you don't want me to leave dog shit on the ground, or put it in the garbage in the lobby and I'm not keeping it in my car or putting it in the garbage can in my room... give me some options here! I couldn't even find a dumpster in my walk around the hotel.

Grrrr....
dusty
Thanks, WB! I was brushing my teeth this morning before I saw your post, and I thought, "Cheeky. Not like I was invited or anything."
walkingbitch
QUOTE(dusty @ Sep 27 2007, 01:00 PM) *
Thanks, WB! I was brushing my teeth this morning before I saw your post, and I thought, "Cheeky. Not like I was invited or anything."

oh you and raisin are my two dorks. You are both invited wherever whenever you are local or have plans on wanting to be local....

I have posted this on LJ and didn't get alot of biters. Me thinks I've lost all my "cool points"
mornington
websites that mysteriously disappear. I was looking at it the other day and now it's gone and I need to do my damned essay! also websites that disappear that you just know they had all of teh anzors lol.

that stage in the writing of an essay where it's drafted and it's just too much effort to go any further.
dj-bizmonkey
drunks playing horseshoes in the parking lot at 8:00am on a Sunday, screaming at the top of their lungs, the metal clattering every time they hit or miss.

people who leave intact beer steins in the street, strategically place so that when i try to parallel park, i run over them and pop my front tire.

assholes who honk and swear at me for being in their way when i'm trying to change my popped tire. i'm so glad this day is over!
grrrlyouwant
people reading over my shoulder bugs the hell out of me. one co-irker actually stood there reading the email i was sending to my boss out loud. aarrrgh, i almost took her head off. if i wanted you know what i was writing, your name would be in the "send to" field!
dusty
I know we're all really busy and we seem to spend our spare time going to meetings in small, airless rooms and I can live with that. But it drives me ballistic when people eat their dinner in said small, airless rooms and stink the place up.

On the other hand, being with Mr. Dusty gives me an appreciation for the fact that not everyone is as sensitive to smell as I am.
ginger_kitty
Cob: People that sit in thier cars and honk the horn, instead of getting off thier ass and freaking knocking to let thier friend or whoever know they are there to pick them up. It just grinds my nerves!
grrrlyouwant
that just happened to me yesterday, ginger, and it bugs the hell out of me too! and it's even worse because i work nights and (try to) sleep during the day. after about seven minutes of tossing and turning with the horn going off every five seconds, i leaned over my balcony and yelled at them to "shut the fuck up and go to the door you lazy asshole!" i mean damn, if i was hanging out on my porch having a loud phone conversation at their four am, you can bet someone would be reporting my ass to management.
dusty
I wish there were more by-laws that supported people working the night shift. Why should people be honking around, or playing loud music outside or doing telephone soliciting at any time of day?
raisingirl
MOTHERFUCKING NO GOOD INSURANCE COMPANIES. I was supposed to have a test done today per doctor's orders because it is crucial that it's done sooner rather than later, but oh no, it first has to be approved by the goddamned insurance company before the test can be administered. I hate that I am sitting by the phone waiting for the phone call telling me that I can now have this test and I HATE THAT AN INSURANCE COMPANY IS DICTATING MY MEDICAL TREATMENT.

ASSHOLES!

My health is at risk and I'm at the goddamn mercy of an insurance company.

And I don't know WTF is going on with my body and I'm really, really concerned about my future. Fuck. *cries*
shinyx3
(((( raisin))))) i hear you about ins co's. i am of the opinion the you have to ave truly sold your soul to the devil to be able to work for them.
raisingirl
Thanks, Shiny. I just hate that this is so out of my control and that the insurance company is stalling all because of MONEY.
culturehandy
(((raisin)))

Someone at work is listening to bad country music loud. I hate it when people listen to music loud at an office without respecting the rest of us. If I want to listen to music loud, I listen to my iPod. I can still here the whiney country music over the iPod. It sounds like I'm listening to electronic country music!
mornington
people who come to you for advice, and then snap at you for not magically making everything better. what am i, the fucking fairy godmother? I can listen, i can make suggestions, but that's all I can do.
Jezebel
Related to that, people who will repeatedly come to you for advice about the same situation, but never actually listen to said advice and never take any action to change their circumstances. I've already told you 87 times what I think you should do, obviously you don't want to do it and would prefer to obsess over the drama endlessly, but how many times do you expect me to listen and repeat myself?
humanist77
I'm sure someone has bitched about this already, but it deserves mentioning again:
I am so F!@#$%^&*ING SICK of going into a public bathroom stall, and there is pee all over the seat! And this is in women's bathrooms! If you're going to hover, lift up the goddamn seat!!!! WTF is wrong with people? And if you don't want to touch the seat, then use a wad of toilet paper to lift it!
This happens almost everytime I go into a public bathroom mad.gif
mornington
people with big-ass suitcases on the underground at rush hour (i.e. half past freaking eight in the fucking morning) who ignore the "stand on the right" signs and block the escalator for everyone. Especially when they don't understand english and so just shrug at the bloke telling them they need to move before they get bludgeoned to death by an angry mob of commuters.

People who read the newspaper on the tube when the rest of us barely have room to breathe.

People who do not move right down inside the train

People who stand on the platform near the entrance causing a massive-scale traffic jam of irritated commuters.

City Boys who jump on the h&c train even though they're only going to fucking moorgate and there is a train in another minute. Especially when this prevents me from getting the train i need to get as I'm not going to the city. ffs. there should be a law.

how irritated I get travelling the tube in the morning.

humanist... eww and argh! I hate that. really really hate it.
dusty
People who stand in a group in the middle of the sidewalk talking. At 8:50 in the morning. God forbid any of us should actually walk to work.
raisingirl
Mornington, add to that the jackass men who have some sort of retarded need to justify their manliness by sitting on the crowded train with their legs splayed far apart, taking up the leg space of the passengers on either side of them. No, your dick isn't that big, I'm sure of it. ASSHOLES!

Yesterday I told two very grown adults at the library to use their indoor voices (no, I am not a librarian, I am merely a patron, but they were pissing me off as I sat there with my library book open to page one, rereading the first two sentences over and over again). They were about two feet apart from each other and were talking at near-shouting levels. There was no librarian in the room, so I took matters into my own hands, right on embarassed them at calling them out on their rudeness. The woman was all, "Indoor voice! I don't have an indoor voice! Ha ha! That's funny!" Way to go on the personal responsibility front, lady. The man realized the error of his ways (but really, I shouldn't have had to point this out in the first place) and lowered his voice, but then the woman was being an ass by telling him she couldn't understand what he was saying. People need to grow the fuck up and have some decorum and some respect. I was relatively polite to them and I really got nothing in return. So I moved to another room.
lilacwine13
Oh god, I hate people who talk in the library. Go somewhere else if you need to talk.
missladyj
I hate people who talk loud as hell on their fucking cell phones. I think everyone should just shut the fuck up.

Right now there is a giant corn cob up my ass and it's name is No Child Left Behind which I am beginning to believe is only ploy to destroy public education so that it can be privitatized.
anna k
Mornington, all of that happens on the NYC subways too.
humanist77
Ditto for Chicago
: )

pollystyrene
QUOTE(missladyj @ Oct 18 2007, 04:55 PM) *
Right now there is a giant corn cob up my ass and it's name is No Child Left Behind which I am beginning to believe is only ploy to destroy public education so that it can be privitatized.

Word, missladyj- LeBoy works for Evanston H.S., which is about to be the first school to feel the wrath of N.C.L.B; at least he's not a teacher, but it still sucks. They're basically being punished for their diversity. Overall, they exceed state averages, but because they fail on several different ethnic groups, they could end up going charter next year.

lilacwine13
Right now everything the current administration does (No Child Left Behind, vetoing SCHIP, the war, etc.) is a huge cob for me, has been for the past six or seven years.

I'm still extremely pissed SCHIP didn't get passed. mad.gif
grrrlyouwant
cob: people who knock over my bike at work and then just leave it laying there. hello, you know you knocked it over, asshole, now pick it up! also, people who wedge their bikes in so their bolts are rubbing right up against my tires and/or paint job. this is not some $100 throw-away from wal-mart, and there are plenty of empty slots, show some fucking respect! mad.gif
treehugger
QUOTE(humanist77 @ Oct 17 2007, 09:52 PM) *
I'm sure someone has bitched about this already, but it deserves mentioning again:
I am so F!@#$%^&*ING SICK of going into a public bathroom stall, and there is pee all over the seat! And this is in women's bathrooms! If you're going to hover, lift up the goddamn seat!!!! WTF is wrong with people? And if you don't want to touch the seat, then use a wad of toilet paper to lift it!
This happens almost everytime I go into a public bathroom mad.gif

heh...I am reminded of one time I went into a public women's restroom, having to pee so bad I could taste it and barely making it, sat down on a soaking wet seat. I mentally cussed out the woman who was there before me.

Then, I stood up, flushed, and watched the overly high water pressure in the john SPRAY all over the seat. Hmm.... dry.gif rolleyes.gif
culturehandy
I hate it when I am flipping through channels, and someone is in the room watching me do this. I decide on a program, and the person asks me what is going on. I don't motherfucking know, you were here with me, you started watching this show at precisely the same time I did.
pollystyrene
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Oct 23 2007, 11:04 AM) *
I hate it when I am flipping through channels, and someone is in the room watching me do this. I decide on a program, and the person asks me what is going on. I don't motherfucking know, you were here with me, you started watching this show at precisely the same time I did.

OMG, CH, LeBoy is notorious for this. He drives me crazy with it. I'll turn something on that neither of us has seen before and he'll ask like a million questions. Sometimes I'll pre-emptively tell him "keep your questions in your head!"

And the toilet seat dribblers! Argh! I love those cheesy signs that people put in their bathrooms that say, "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, be a sweetie, wipe the seatie!" Pee is gross enough. Other fluids (blood, poop, mystery goo), now that's disgusting. I have to go reeeeeally bad to use a toilet with any of that on it, even if it's been wiped.
culturehandy
Polly, is it the same things at movies? That drives me insane!

Don't get me started on toilet dribblers. I also want to know how it is possible for someone to get feces on a toilet seat? What are you a shit slinging monkey? Do you reach into the bowl and grab some of your own poop? Blech.
pollystyrene
At the movies, or movies on TV? He knows better than to talk at all at the movies. That's one of my "We're Trying To Have a Civilization Here, People!" pet peeves, talking at the movies. I'm not quite as confrontational as I should be, but man, when I was a kid, going to the movies with my dad was always an adventure because he has no problem telling people to be quiet during a movie. Politely at first, but still in his booming voice. After that, all bets were off and it maybe wasn't so polite.

It was a major source of embarrassment back then, but I wish I still went to the movies more often with him now. Now, I find it hard to muster up the courage to give more than a glare and maybe a pointed, "Shh!"
humanist77
oh treehugger, I know that is sometimes the cause-but often times not. And of course I'll know if it's the toilet's fault or not after I flush. But especially at bars, women won't sit down, but they're too drunk to bother lifting the seat, much less able to center themselves over the bowl. Ick. And yeah-poo/blood, way worse, but fortunately much less common. wacko.gif
dusty
That reminds me...its two things, one, that other women pee on the seat, two, that I always *sit* in it without thinking.
treehugger
QUOTE(humanist77 @ Oct 24 2007, 04:46 PM) *
oh treehugger, I know that is sometimes the cause-but often times not. And of course I'll know if it's the toilet's fault or not after I flush. But especially at bars, women won't sit down, but they're too drunk to bother lifting the seat, much less able to center themselves over the bowl. Ick. And yeah-poo/blood, way worse, but fortunately much less common. wacko.gif

Yeah, I know. I wasn't saying you were wrong, it just reminded me of the story. I try to think about it when I remember back to all the times I've sat in somebody's pee. I just hate that! I have a weak bladder and lots of the time I don't have *time* to inspect the seat other than a cursory glance.

Speaking of weak bladders another pet peeve of mine, is the single toilet rooms, where the stinking door is on those hydraulic door closers and they take FOREVER to close. I usually am so desperate by that point I have to push the &(*&^% things shut!

I once saw a bloody tampon ON THE FLOOR next to the toilet. How drunk do you have to be to do that? Gross.
dj-bizmonkey
as to talking in the movies, i once shushed some rowdy kids in a harry potter movie. i expected them to be rude and snap at me with some deliciously adolescent cutdown, but instead, they were soooooo embarassed. so much, in fact, that after the movie they came up and apologized to my friends and i. sometimes you just have to speak out.

treehugger, how about dirty pads and tampons on the soap shelves in community showers at the gym? gross gross gross. i don't understand this concept. how can you pull it out, place it on a level next to your face, shower and then leave it there? i say again, gross.
missjoy
Okay here is a question. When is it okay to shush kids at a kids movie? I went to go see Narnia - I believe with my mom (and I'm in my late twenties). The annoying kid behind me, probably about 10 (I'm bad with ages) had obviously just read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and was proceeding to tell his parents exactly what was going to happen next at every point in the movie. Now, I've read the books - so it wasn't ruining anything. But it was sooooo annoyng. But I was wary about shushing a child with his parents at a kids movie.

culturehandy
I'd like to throw that used tampon and the person who "forgot" to take it out of the communal shower. And hit them in the face with it.
shinyx3
missjoy, i totaly think it is ok to let them know it is bothering you. but then i am a bitch. but seriously, if something my child is doing is bothering someone i would want to know. on the other hand i would have shushed my child for talking in the theater.
pollystyrene
I think you have to be a little more tactful/delicate when there's a kid involved- in your situation I would have just turned around and whispered something like, "When you talk, I have a very hard time concentrating on the movie; could you please be quiet while it's playing?" If the kid is several rows away, and they probably couldn't tell it was you, I'd probably say, sharply "Please be quiet!"

When I saw HP5 over the summer, I saw it at an IMAX theater opening weekend, in the middle of the day. IMAX tickets are a bit more expensive than regular theaters (about $13-$16, usually). There were a lot of younger kids there, which surprised me, since the 4th and 5th movies were definitely not child-appropriate, under the age of 10 or so (maybe 8, depending on the kid). Just as the movie started, this little kid, sounded like he was about 5 or so, right in the middle of this HUGE theater starts wailing, "mommy I'm scared! I want to go!" For nearly an minute, the mother ignored the kid until someone yelled, "Get him out of here!" She picked the kid up and STOOD UP, trying to comfort him. A bunch of people started yelling, "You need to leave!" She slowly made her way down the row with him, then tried to stand in the little lobby outside the theater with him (not the main hallway, just that little area between the main hallway and the theater) and everyone could still hear this kid crying. People started yelling "we can still hear you!" and finally she went completely out of the theater.

Seriously, who spends all that money on a kid's ticket for a movie you know is going to scare the crap out of him, then proceeds to be a total asshat when it comes to dealing with the consequences?
missjoy
Okay, here's another pet peeve that your post reminded me of polly. Why oh why is everything still so expensive here in Canada even though our dollar is stronger. Our regular movies are $12-$16 dollars - more in some areas and the prices of books are re-dic-u-lous. Seriously - the books will be about 40% more expensive here.

dusty
In stores, its partly because they probably bought the stock while the dollar was lower. I'm not sure how that would apply to a movie though.

Its SWEET shopping online and seeing the price in Canadian dollars lower...
missjoy
Yeah, I understand a bit about stock. It's mostly the books that piss me off because our dollar has been getting stronger for quite a while and the prices are still so off. They say it's because they print the prices on the books so they have to be sure the dollar doesn't fall again. Ummm... so why do they have to print the prices on the book? No other products do that - and they seem fine putting stickers over the prices when they go on clearance. Argh.

I live within a 30 minute drive of the boarder too - but there is not much on the other side near me other than a Walmart (Ogdensburg is not a shopping destination) and the rules for what you can bring back and the tariffs you have to pay is crazy difficult to understand.
culturehandy
Indigo Books and Music (owner of Chapters, Coles, and World's Largest BookStore) are now selling their stock at the American List Price.
candycane_girl
Funny, I was just coming in to complain about the cost of books as well.
I was looking at the prices for one of my required reading books.

American price - $18
Canadian price- $24

WTF?! I understand that they put those prices on long before our dollar was this high but like missjoy said, why do they put the prices on in the first place? I really can't think of any other product that already has the price listed on it!

And whatever came from Jim Flaherty urging retailers to cut prices down?

Another thing, on the day that Flaherty made his big speech, the CBC was interviewing people from the Retail Council of Canada who said that Canada has to pay tariffs on imported items that the States don't have to pay! What the hell is the deal?
missjoy
I hadn't heard that about Indigo. I knew some small independent shops were doing close to the American listed price (add $1 for paperback, $3 for hardcover) but that's good to know about Indigo.

I'm currently trying to curb my cookbook addiction anyway - so only browsing for me.
dusty
Mr. Dusty tells me that when the C$ was really low, books were sold at less than the exchange rate because publishers knew that they wouldn't sell at the exchange rate. And obviously, its the publishers who are lagging, they're the ones who determine the price.
dusty
Booksellers are losing money selling at the American price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.