Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Perilous Position of Choice- news & updates
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The F-Word
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
girltrouble
yawn. troll alert.

ignore linky here: to ignore perilous times
just hit the ignore button on the next screen.

and here is the code (minus the right "]") to post in other threads incase i, or another bustie doesn't post. it should take you to your own ignore screen and put perilous in the correct space. just hit the ignore button.

code:
[url=http://www.bust.com/lounge/index.php?act=usercp&CODE=ignore&uid=26402]to ignore perilous times[/url

girltrouble
yawn. troll alert.

ignore linky here: to ignore perilous times
just hit the ignore button on the next screen.

and here is the code (minus the right "]") to post in other threads incase i, or another bustie doesn't post. it should take you to your own ignore screen and put perilous in the correct space. just hit the ignore button.

code:
[url=http://www.bust.com/lounge/index.php?act=usercp&CODE=ignore&uid=26402]to ignore perilous times[/url

faerietails2
*Tro$$ alert*
After you're done clicking here to add Steve to your ignore list, be sure to click here and/or here and/or here to support the BUST X-tian FUNdie abortion fund.

dj-bizmonkey
done, done and done faerietails! and how the hell did that freak-a-leak snatch your cute picture? i am fuming at fanatic fuckers with photoshop (and i also love alliteration)
anarch
"only 23% of the kids in state care waiting for adoption are a year old or less. The rest of them? Yeah, they tend to hang around in the system. I'm familiar with this, as half of my family (two brothers, one sister) were in foster care until their teens. 42% of the kids waiting to be adopted have been in continuous foster care for three years or longer. . . . It bugs the crap out of me when folks imply that putting up the kid for adoption is a viable response to abortion."

Thought this was interesting as I haven't read about adoption stats before.
vesicapisces
Ginger_kitty, I'm a little late to the party, but that article you posted was intense. I'm going to copy the article to give to people when they say, "I don't understand why someone would have an abortion so late in their pregnancy."
dusty
I organized a bake sale once to raise money for to help pay for legal fees to uphold the right to abortion clinics. It was most satisfying to see the hand of Mr. Big-Pro-Life-on-Campus reaching out for the biggest cookie and then pulling back.

I recently went to hear Dr. Rebecca Gomperts of Women on Waves speak. She was way cool. Or did I mention this before? They take a ship out into international waters for abortions, and they provide information on their website.

According to her, abortion wasn't an issue until Pope Pius IX proclaimed that life started at conception. She also suggested that this was a political move to rally support from the French government at a time when the French population was ageing and the industrial revolution was about to take off.
vesicapisces
Holy fucking shit.

Angry, angry, angry.
llamas
Blah. So wrong, and so fundamentally stupid, on so many levels. Being an Ohio resident, I'm hoping that the legislature kills this one quickly.
candycane_girl
"abortion fraud"? seriously?

OT, does anyone know where I could find something that actually outlines the law regarding abortion in Canada? I don't even know if it varies from province to province.
culturehandy
Oh fuck. *head explodes*

Abortion fraud, I think I'm going to vomit. I know plenty of men who would volunteer to be the "father" so a woman could abort. And what if it's rape? And and and...
runningwestward
They did have a stipulation for rape. But you need a police report to prove it. And the line after that just made me vomit a little in my mouth. If it is incest how the hell are they going to prove who the father is? "Excuse me but your [insert appropriate kinship here] has accused you of incest and is now looking to have an abortion. But we need to prove that you are the father to get your permission. So if you wouldn't mind...." um yeah like they'll give some DNA and prove themselves guilty. Faaaa. So stupid. So so stupid.
culturehandy
thanks running! I was so irate while reading that, it appears that I just stopped absorbing what was being proposed.
faerietails2
i'm speechless. this is making my head spin i'm so mad. UGH!

EDIT: in other news: Bush's War on Women is a War on Science.

"Dr. David Hager, a gynecologist, objected to oral contraceptives because he says that they provide a "convenient way for young people to be sexually active outside marriage" and wrote a book with his wife that recommends Bible readings and prayers for such ailments as premenstrual syndrome."

Now, I already knew Hager was an anti-choice asshat, but got some reason this riled me up all over again. Didn't his wife later come out and say that he raped her repeatedly throughout their marriage? Anyway, this quote is tame compared to the rest of the article.
humanist77
Article about Hager's ex wife's accusations

I'm furious, but through being shocked about the psychos that the Bush administration has appointed to various committees.
dj-bizmonkey
what is the MOST frustrating, is that democracy now did a three part special on Hager and his ex-wife back in 2004 and it seemed to slip under the radar. how could anyone allow a misogynist, sadist be in charge of women's health? it was his decision alone that kept the morning after pill from being over the counter, DESPITE the fact that the overwhelming majority of doctors on the panel (something like 20 out of 24) were in favor of it being available without a prescription. blegh.
culturehandy
Don't they interview people before they go into med school? I'd like to know what moron admitted a man who said reading the bible was good for PMS. You know what's good for my PMS? Beating the shit out of motherfuckers like him.

It's just part of Bush's ultimate plan to turn women back into baby factories and restrict their rights.
ginger_kitty
Just wanted to pass along this link:

http://pillpatrol.saveroe.com/

It's a simple way to try make a difference.
p_176
i thought you could get the morning after pill at a pharmacy, without a prescription....
lilacwine13
You can, but some pharmacists refuse to dispense it because they think it causes abortion and goes against their beliefs. Also, some stores don't have a policy in place where, if the pharmacist doesn't want to dispense it, they need to find someone who will, or tell you where to go to get it.
anarch
A "40 days for life" campaign, a drive for anti-choicers in the US to picket clinics in "89 cities in 33 states", 24/7, is going on now until Nov 4.

Emily X is blogging about how it's playing out at the clinic where she works. Also on her site is a link for people to write supportive notes to Planned Parenthood workers. Also, she's keeping a running tally of how many protestors show up every day - "Pledge a few cents [like, 5 cents] for every protester I encounter during the anti-choice groups' so-called "40 days for life" campaign. I'll keep a running tally of protesters each day on this blog, and at the end of the 40 days on Nov. 4, I'll let you know how much you've helped raise. Don't worry, you can put a cap on your donation in case we encounter more protesters than expected."
faerietails2
Alternet posted a really great review of a new documentary analyzing the anti-choice movement's tactics. It sounds intense! I'll have to see it.
anarch
faerietails, thanks for posting that. It looks fantastic. "this film offers one bitter-pill lesson: appeals to science and reason, however ethical, simply do not influence the masses as well as blood-and-guts emotionality. For example, in response to anti-choice images of broken fetal arms strewn in blood, reproductive justice activists show a wire hanger next to a smiling picture of Joan Crawford. This comes across as sterile, diminutive and polite. By contrast, a no-holds-barred approach would be an image of a woman who had died during a back-alley abortion. A corpse."

I'd support that. People who enjoy thinking make the mistake of assuming that other people do, too. When in reality, way more people are driven by emotions, at the expense of logic.

In good news, the MA House today "have overwhelmingly approved a bill to expand protest-free zones around abortion clinics. The bill would give Massachusetts among the strongest "buffer zone" laws in the nation, creating a hard 35-foot perimeter around a clinic's entrances and driveways."
nickclick
did everyone know that all donations made to Planned Parenthood thru 12/31 will be matched? go now!

(cross-posted in the activism thread)
culturehandy
From todays Globe and Mail.

anarch
CH, thanks for the great link. (David Frum is such an ass.) I enjoyed some great laughs from Knocked Up but they were interspersed with feeling exasperated and annoyed, so I'm looking forward to checking out the movie this article's author recommends: "If you want abortion realism at the movies, there is the recent Romanian movie, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, which has rightly landed on many critics' top 10 lists."

IMDB on 4 Months...

Also, on NPR's Here and Now beginning at noon today, "An abortion doctor tells her story." Looks like they have a podcast later, too.
vesicapisces
QUOTE(anarch @ Jan 15 2008, 11:05 AM) *
Also, on NPR's Here and Now beginning at noon today, "An abortion doctor tells her story." Looks like they have a podcast later, too.

Susan Wicklund's speaking at the Roe v. Wade event here next week. A co-worker is reading her book and says it's very intense.
culturehandy
From the front pafe of the life section of the Globe and Mail.
vesicapisces
I'm just bumping this up because it somehow had dropped off the page.

Nothing any more perilous than any other day.
nickclick
"A ruling by France's supreme court on the right of parents to name a miscarried or stillborn fetus could stoke debate about the country's abortion laws and embryo research, lawyers and activists said Thursday."
anarch
"John McCain's spiritual adviser Rod Parsley [says] that the KKK would just love abortion rights people for committing 'Black genocide'"

hellotampon
There's a crisis pregnancy center in my town and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get them shut down or just harass them.
dj-bizmonkey
i don't know about harassing them, but what my friends and i used to do in NC was take out ads in the local paper explained what 'crisis pregnancy' centers are and warning women not to use them if they wanted to have a fair choice. if you can even find where they advertise and put an ad right next to theirs. we never got a whole billboard or anything, but i know people who' ve done it.
hellotampon
Oh well there's an idea. I could submit a "speak out" the the local free weekly paper... EVERYONE in town reads those religiously. haha
vesicapisces
QUOTE(anarch @ Mar 29 2008, 11:13 PM) *
"John McCain's spiritual adviser Rod Parsley [says] that the KKK would just love abortion rights people for committing 'Black genocide'"

OMG, Anarch, Rod Parsley is John McCain's "spiritual adviser"? He's a total wingnut - pastor of one of those enormous mega-churches, it's like the size of a frigging football stadium, with a virtual compound including schools and a broadcast center for his "ministry." Of course, my ex-husband apparently used to smoke dope with him when they were kids, but these days he's Rev. Righteous. I can't wait for him to get caught in some airport bathroom or seedy hotel...
anarch
Smoked dope with him? lol. Figures, the sanctimonious bastard. My bet's on the airport bathroom (though I'd be happy with seedy hotel, too).

Just came across this article: Why I Am An Abortion Doctor

which is good for illustrating what happened to low-income women in the days when safe, sanitary abortion was easily accessible only to the rich
culturehandy
Anarch, I'm am so impressed with that article. I'm even more impressed that it came from The National (com)Post.

It is not often you have a doctor who is willing to come out in the open with something like that, due to the violence incurred against them.
dusty
I am verklempt.
anarch
"Johns Hopkins University said Friday that it had programmed its computers to ignore the word “abortion” in searches of a large, publicly financed database of information on reproductive health after federal officials raised questions about two articles in the database."

Fuckers. Cod bless that dean, though.
roseviolet
Grrrr.
Looks like both North and South Carolina have approved "Pro Life" license tags. That will mean 20 states in this country with these "pro life" tags.
http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/643592.html
pollystyrene
How nauseating, rose.

Here's someone with the right idea:
pollystyrene
An article in today's Chicago Tribune about a similar issue.
crazyoldcatlady
to Quoth the GT:

*****TROLL ALERT*****
our usual shmuck troll is back. with 2 profiles. instead of putting up with his bs, click on the link below to block his posts and doctored photos. on the next pages, click on the block button at the bottom of the page. you must click both.

BLOCK TROLL: filibuster
BLOCK TROLL: dustbuster

IN the meantime, enjoy this informative video on the complicated issue of choice
auralpoison
*****TROLL ALERT*****
our usual shmuck troll is back. with 3 profiles. instead of putting up with his bs, click on the link below to block his posts and doctored photos. on the next pages, click on the update ignored users button at the bottom of the page.*

BLOCK TROLL: filibuster
BLOCK TROLL: dustbuster
BLOCK TROLL: misslips
girltrouble
doodlebug
Pardon me for cross-posting this with the Canadian thread, but I feel it's important to note that Henry Morgentaler has been given the Order of Canada.

....and the Campaign Life Coalition is urging other recipients to return their medals in protest. "If Morgentaler had any integrity, he would refuse the medal," Mary Ellen Douglas of the coalition said in a news release. "This presentation should be given to people who have made Canada a better place to live and the elimination of thousands of human beings who would have contributed to the future of Canada is a disgrace, not an honour." *rolls eyes*

I would like Mary Ellen Douglas to meet my mom, who nearly DIED from an illegal abortion right here in Canada (done with sharpened birch sticks on a kitchen table) before Dr. Morgentaler came along. Dr. Morgentaler made this country a better place to live for me and my whole generation, that's for fucking sure.

erinjane
Ugh. On CBC's radio show, Up To Speed (local I think) they just had this idiot politician on who's upset about it. It's a call in show but I only walked in during the last 15 minutes. Almost everyone who called agreed that it was wrong to give Morgentaler the award. I tried to call in but didn't make it in time for the cut. Luckily the last woman who called was sane and smart. And way more men were calling about it too.
stargazer
***TROLL ALERT****

SHOO! GO AWAY! mad.gif
girltrouble
tongue.gif
faerietails
steve, i'm sure you think you're witty, but that just further established my image of you sitting in your texas basement being a sad little geek.

also, are you sure that one in the jar isn't off some roswell site? cuz it looks like an alien.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.