Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the F@%&?! And more feminist outrage...
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The F-Word
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
kittenb
Aural - that story is so horrifying that my mind doesn't even want to believe that it is real! I wish there was some way that I could find that poor girl and her family and...I don't know...do something great for them. What the fucking hell were the cops thinking?

I know in Chicago there have been cases of cops arresting and harrassing women in sexy clothes and assuming that they are prostitutes. But to just jump out of a van and kidnap a child and THEN ARREST HER FOR FIGHTING BACK!!!! is just unacceptable. I am going to try to follow this story but please post any follow ups that you see.

As a side note, just what the flaming fuck does Galveston do to the actual sex workers?!
culturehandy
OT, but I'm 26 and getting gardasil, talked to my dr, and while there is a high likely hood that I've encountered something already, it's still of benefit. There are risks with any vaccine...ultimately cervical cancer can cause death and sterility too. So, I'm agreeing with COCL here.

/derailment.

Oh wow. Yah, because I'd just take it if three men were coming to take me away, yo. Yup, I'd let some random men do that. Fucking idiots.

and here, when there are young girls involved in the sex trade, CFS gets involved, and the police service is very concerned about getting these girls help and going after the person who put them there in the first place. and they do generally get the address right...
crazyoldcatlady
cocl: I read back to your list of reason why you're in favor of gardasil & I respect them all.
you however, are a grown, physically matured Woman.
frecklette's school district sent out this flier to {the parents of } all girls grades 5-12.
considering that sterility is one of the possible side affects (small but it has happened), that's makes it not just a health-issue, but a Reproductive one as well. I fight/will fight for freckette's right to Choose to not have a child and I will also then certainly fight for the Public-tax-payer-supported school system she goes to not to shove this irresponsible bullshit down the gullets of thousands of naieve parents.
when frecklette was in 5th grade (which would be her last year in middle school) I had already years before had the Talk About Your Body & began the on-going dialog about sex & all that goes on to this day, but had I recieved a flier of that ilke back then, I may likely have interpreted it as " oh; another vaccine freck jr needs this year"
much along the same lines as say, the measles or something.

I'm not saying gardasil is a terrible thing, I just think it needs a HELL of a lot more testing and in that light I find it reproachful that her school would endorse it.
there's got to be money changing hands somewhere and it disgusts me.

Absoultely, freckle, it's in your right as a parent to say no: to look at the unbiased and accurate information out there, and then come to your own conclusions. in the OBOH thread, i was articualting the reasons i'm pro-gardasil vaccine; these reasons apply to myself and myself alone. i am in agreement with you that the school shouldn't be pushing this, or marketing it as a requirement. should they feel the need, they should put the information out there, and do their best to make parents aware. it's not their job to force the hand in this situation, for the reason below:

one of the (many many) socio-political reasons behind the gardasil vaccine controversy, i believe, is that it is trying to be equated with all vaccines. they are not comparable: something like the measles/mumps/rubella vaccine (MMR) is mandatory because these are highly transmissible by casual contact, by those who are most succeptible to contracting these diseases. it's hard to imagine these days, but these are not benign illnesses. there are serious possible sequlae to infection. that is why it is mandatory. it's hard enough to keep parents from freaking out over the very very very rare complications of the MMR vaccines, without shoving another required one that really shouldn't be required.

imho, disease outcome is worth risking an already dimished risk of vaccine complication.

and as far as the money changing hands... i hate to be cynical, but i don't doubt it. medicine is still run like a business, and pharmacologic enterprises are even further from medicine. until there's reform, there's always going to be undue politcal and monetary influence.
pollystyrene
(Cross-posting in This Just In)

Sickening.
anarch
Oh, polly.

No words.

I actually came in here to ask, anybody have good links they can think of, offhand, to counter claims re rates of false rape accusations? Obviously I'll google for myself if nobody does, but I thought I'd check here first to save myself some time and emotional drainage if possible.

I'm so tired of rehashing the same points over and over again with (mostly) guys popping up like Whack-a-Moles to announce [insert canard here about sexual assault].
auralpoison
Ah, the silent majority. And I do mean MAJORITY. What's the statistic? In a group of five women at least four have been sexually assaulted in some fashion.

I've only been able to own up to two years of child rape since both my parents have died. It was just something that I felt I could never let them know.

I just read something in the Daily mail (Yes, a TABLOID.) about Michaela Britton.

Then I found this.

I can't decide which sickens me more.
ketto
Edit: Oops, didn't realize it was related to the same post that anarch.
anarch
Thanks AP for the reply (& links which are disturbing, yeah...teh craziness, it burns).

When I've got a collection of links on the subject worth posting, I'll put them here.
auralpoison
WTF?! She's eight! He's almost sixty!
girltrouble
not that it's a ton better, but atleast reading thru, it's not as bad as the headline would make it seem. granted, using your children as bargaining chips is fucked up, but as the article states, she doesn't know she's married, lives with her mom, and the agreement was that the marrage would not be consimated till she is 18. hopefully the fucker will die before then, but they need to get shit straight with sharia law, cos laws don't work if everybody is making it up.

i'm just heartsick about that lesbian rape link, polly that's just sick, sick, sick. and i think about this whole prop 8, warren thing, and people seem to think these things happen in a vacuum. *shakes her head* with events like those we give these assholes a kind of permission, and it makes my blood boil.
kittenb
The existance of a blog called "The False Rape Society" makes me want to weep. It is way too close to the False Memory Syndrome Foundation another organization that makes my head explode. And that woman is clearly mentally ill. Was there even a mention of her getting some sort of mental health screening?
In my job, I sometimes get clients whom, well, to put this delicately, the sexual assault/rape they are talking about most likely did not occur on the reality that most of us live in. However, in the clients altered reality, it happened. I always feel so bad for these clients b/c it is far beyond our ability to help and these clients believe the story that they are saying and know that it will happen again. That is what that story reminded me of. sad.gif
pollystyrene
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Dec 23 2008, 08:20 AM) *
(Cross-posting in This Just In)

Sickening.

Update.
capilot
QUOTE(anarch @ Dec 24 2008, 06:00 PM) *
I actually came in here to ask, anybody have good links they can think of, offhand, to counter claims re rates of false rape accusations?

Well, to start off, the Kanin study is bullshit (I knew there would be a reference to it before I even clicked the link.)

In short, the Kanin study covers one single town. Not exactly what you would call a statistically valid sample. The only thing we really know from the Kanin study is that this town has a problem. It might be a localized epidemic of false rape claims, but I'm more inclined to suspect that there's a hard-ass cop in that town who's very good at badgering rape victims into retracting their stories.

The other study linked in the article you linked to was done by the Air Force, and frankly, the military has an ugly reputation of suppressing information about rapes committed inside their ranks.

HTH
anarch
Thanks capilot, much appreciated. I never actually got around to clicking on those links myself because I was feeling pissed off enough as it was. I did do a little googling on "false rape accusations" but didn't find much, so I figured I'd go back to it later. What you've pointed out will be very helpful the next time the subject comes up (as it will, of course, because it always does).
freckleface7
I don't mean to interrupt the thread discussion, and realise this more probably belongs in This Just In, but to be fair :

http://news.aol.com/health/article/should-...2111x1201077105

tell me seriously that they've only tested this on 4,000 boy TOTAL?
and also tell me that it's been long enough to be sure of any and all Long Term Affects?
I find myself feeling just as protective of the boys frecklette's age as I do for the girls.
dangerous and untested drugs being pawned off on this generation for a fast buck. mad.gif
auralpoison
What. The. Fuck?! Y'know, I respect other people's cultures & religions, but this kind of shit has to stop. Really. It has got to STOP.
kittenb
It sounds to me like there are several problems with what happend: no respect for underage rape victims, no after-care (ie. ER contraception) and no accessible abortion services. It might have been that the mother, not knowing what her level of education is, actually thought that this might be the right thing to do.
I don't know. It is a very sad story.
vixen_within
it's a triple whammy. they're trying to make a government care about the (1)human and labour rights of (2)women who were (3)prostitutes. that's uphill.
nohope
the feminist movement too is at a crossroad and must decide "which side is it on." Feminists have devoted much effort during the last two decades to carving a space for women in the institutions, from national governments to the United Nations. They have not always, however, made an equal effort to "empower" the women who, on the ground, have borne the brunt of economic globalization, especially rural women. Thus, while many feminist organizations have celebrated the United Nations' decade for women, they have not heard the cries of the women who, in the same years, were burnt as witches in Africa, nor have asked if 'women‟s power‟ is not an empty word when old women, with impunity, can be tortured, humiliated, ridiculed and killed by the youth of their communities.

Witch-Hunting, Globalization, and Feminist Solidarity in Africa Today
http://www.bridgew.edu/SoAS/jiws/Oct08/Federici.pdf
xexyz
QUOTE(nohope @ Jan 26 2009, 12:26 PM) *
the feminist movement too is at a crossroad and must decide "which side is it on." Feminists have devoted much effort during the last two decades to carving a space for women in the institutions, from national governments to the United Nations. They have not always, however, made an equal effort to "empower" the women who, on the ground, have borne the brunt of economic globalization, especially rural women. Thus, while many feminist organizations have celebrated the United Nations' decade for women, they have not heard the cries of the women who, in the same years, were burnt as witches in Africa, nor have asked if 'women‟s power‟ is not an empty word when old women, with impunity, can be tortured, humiliated, ridiculed and killed by the youth of their communities.

Witch-Hunting, Globalization, and Feminist Solidarity in Africa Today
http://www.bridgew.edu/SoAS/jiws/Oct08/Federici.pdf

That essay sucked. It seems to presume that the cause of this misogyny is the economic impact of globalization, but doesn't discuss the underlying cultural sexism that leads to these witchhunts. I also hated the presumption that Feminists are simply ignoring this because they're implicitly accepting it. I see and read all the time about Feminist action in communities that improves the lives of women, so who's this arrogant jerk to level this accusation of inaction at Feminists?
kittenb
so who's this arrogant jerk to level this accusation of inaction at Feminists?

There is a reason that I finally had to put NoHope on "Ignore." I think he might mean well but I just couldn't stand the nagging anymore.
kittenb
What fresh fucking hell is this?! Entertainment Weekly has decided to start some new, on-line column called She Pop, supposedly the "thinking woman's perspective on pop culture." The first column: Jessica Simpson's weight gain.

SERIOUSLY? First of all, I've always appreciated EW mostly gender nuetral-ness. I don't need them treating me like I am a "special needs client." Second, is this REALLY what EW thinks that women thinks about? If they don't straighten this out I will cancel my subscription.
crazyoldcatlady
amen, kitten. they jumped ALL over it. i mean... sigh. i'm too tired to rant, and this one really deserves a rant, but ...

SIGH.

i mean, it took no creativity to make this. like, none. it was the easiest of easy and the cheapest of cheap shots. if you're gonna burn someone based on something so superficial as their looks, at least put SOME effort into it, asshole.

the irony being, it was featured on that douche perezhilton's page.
girltrouble
it was featured on that douche perezhilton's page.
um cat lady, i have to stop you there and make a correction:

it was featured on that professional douche perezhilton's page.

it's not just that he's a douche in his private life, he's a pro douche.

kittenb
Yesterday I was on the treadmill and feeling good. Today, there is this voice telling me, "Why bother? You are never going to be thin enough for people not to hate you so why fucking bother?" I know that voice isn't real but when the New York Times (Post? Can't remember) makes fun of someone like Jessica Simpson so being fat, I feel hated! I told my bf last night that I feel like Kelly in last week's The Office. "If you are saying that she isn't hot than you are saying that I am not hot. Because I am no way near as hot as she is!"

And then I realize that I am getting this upset defending Jessics Simpson and my head explodes.

ETA: And another thing. Pretty soon she is going to lose the 5 pounds that she gained, and probably 15 more and then she will be on every magazine talking about "her brave struggle with weight" and then my recently healed head will explode all over again.
auralpoison
Man finds Google Earth helps him vicitmize innocent Michigan women from the safety of his own home . . . in Wyoming. I've read about people calling fastfood places & whatnot doing this, but doing it long distance via Google Earth & a prepaid cellphone? That's fucked.
hiddenpoet
kittenb my head's about to explode about that jessica simpson thing but for another reason. she's a "fat" size eight now right? cindy crawford was a size six, which would make her "fat" in today's world right? it makes my head explode that people don't see this for what it really is. it's blatant sexism.
i think that the media saying every woman is fat is just a way to keep women in line. if the entertainer is too concerned with keeping her size at a number for job security she won't ask or demand she gets paid the same as her male counterparts. she will be too busy being unhealthy since there is no other way anyone can be that thin. you have to be on drugs or have an eating disorder to be that size zero. the entertainer will be too physically exhausted to do anything but put up with thier ridiculous demands because what else is she going to do. the size keeps getting smaller and smaller and eventually no woman will be able to satisfy what the industry is pressuring them to be. it's repellent because it's pedophilia to expect a woman to have the figure of a child. women are supposed to have hips and breasts - it's a sign of maturity. the industry doesn't want women. women are old enough to know that thy don't have to put up with nonsense like that. women have the experience to know what they want and how to get it. and that attitude would scare the shit out of the people writing the paychecks which certainly explains why as soon as a woman hits her mid twenties she's considered "old". that's a conversation for another day though.
crazyoldcatlady
and hp completes the rant i was too tired to do yesterday. amen.
candycane_girl
I think that if Jessica does end up losing weight she'll end up on one of those magazine's "Starving for beauty!" covers. This is what gets me so much about the media's image of women. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't (eat).
LoveMyPugs
a guy at work told me today that i will never be able to make a decision on my own in life because i have a vagina,

fucking male dominated engineering field sad.gif
Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(hiddenpoet @ Jan 29 2009, 04:57 PM) *
i think that the media saying every woman is fat is just a way to keep women in line. if the entertainer is too concerned with keeping her size at a number for job security she won't ask or demand she gets paid the same as her male counterparts. she will be too busy being unhealthy since there is no other way anyone can be that thin. you have to be on drugs or have an eating disorder to be that size zero.

while i totally agree that critisizing Jessica Simpson for being a size 8 is completely ridiculous, and i'm on board with pretty much all the other points here, i do want to say that some of us women ARE tiny and thin. some of us do not have those lovely curves (though we may covet them - check out the "small breast support" thread for verification) I've been a size 0-2 since i was 14, but have never had an eating disorder or a drug problem. while i'm sure no one here meant to be malicious to us smallies, please remember us when you profess to be lovin' all kinds of women!
Christine Nectarine
...also, LMP, some guy actually SAID that?!?! sometimes i can't believe the horrors i hear about male engineers.
my dad is an engineer and he's one of the most sensitive, feminist-friendly men i've ever known, so it's always kind of shocking to me.

bustygirl
How did someone who doesn't know basic anatomy become an engineer? Last time I checked, the brain was responsible for decision making.

But I guess men who have no real experience with vaginas tend to be befuddled by them. wink.gif
roseviolet
QUOTE(LoveMyPugs @ Jan 29 2009, 10:30 PM) *
a guy at work told me today that i will never be able to make a decision on my own in life because i have a vagina,

fucking male dominated engineering field sad.gif

Report this to H.R. right away. You should not have to put up with that kind of shit - either at work or elsewhere.
crazyoldcatlady
O/T: Forbes put out a list of the top 25 web celebs--bloggers, basically--and they only manage to put ONE woman on the list?

hiddenpoet
QUOTE(Christine Nectarine @ Jan 29 2009, 09:46 PM) *
while i totally agree that critisizing Jessica Simpson for being a size 8 is completely ridiculous, and i'm on board with pretty much all the other points here, i do want to say that some of us women ARE tiny and thin. some of us do not have those lovely curves (though we may covet them - check out the "small breast support" thread for verification) I've been a size 0-2 since i was 14, but have never had an eating disorder or a drug problem. while i'm sure no one here meant to be malicious to us smallies, please remember us when you profess to be lovin' all kinds of women!

yes tis true some women can naturally be a size zero - but do you really think that the industry would hire those women? women who can be that size naturally are exempt from not only the industry but also from criticisms about that size. i'm not hating small women, i'm hating the industry that chews young women up and spits them out.
auralpoison
Y'know, when I first saw the Jessica Simpson pics (I didn't read any of the blurbs initially.) I thought, "My god, who let that girl on stage in those pants?! Those pants are doing nothing for her!" I didn't even really notice that she'd gained weight, I thought it was merely a CoF.

We're damned if we do & we're damned if we don't. A man gains weight (I'm looking at you Vince Vaughn, Luke Wilson, et al.) & the articles are all about how women still find them attractive even with the extra poundage. A guy gets a little schlubby & he's fine, but a woman gains a few? Drama. It's been five years since Zellweger gained a few for the last Bridget Jones & she's still being lauded for her bold choice to pack on some weight for the role. And then she's lauded even more for becoming svelte again.
zoya
AP - I thought the same thing - I don't honestly think that Jessica has gained that much weight probably at all (not that it should matter) I think that more so, she's the victim of a really unfortunate choice of outfit. Everything she's wearing together would make a fucking 6 foot 2, toothpick shaped supermodel look a bit thick.

anarch
QUOTE(hiddenpoet @ Jan 29 2009, 05:57 PM) *
it's pedophilia to expect a woman to have the figure of a child. women are supposed to have hips and breasts - it's a sign of maturity. the industry doesn't want women.

Reminds me of a book review I read the other day, which said that the author of this book on "deviant sex" said writing the book taught him that, among other things, "the lines defining what is normal sexually and what is not are vague at best. We abhor pedophilia, for example, and yet our culture worships teenage girls." Right on.

((((LMP))))
hiddenpoet
sounds like an interesting read. leaves me wondering two things one lighthearted and one dead serious.
dead serious - if the stepfather keeps changing the stepdaughter's how do we know she isn't really younger? i don't know if i can read that part.
lighthearted - if my guy had a foot fetish there is no way i'd want to know, would you?
girltrouble
really, poet?

dunno, maybe it's because i'm definitely kinky, foot fetish seems so lightweight. lol. to me, that's not even really kinky. if i 1) loved my feet, and 2)i was dating a person with a foot fetish, i'd so want to know. there is a level of intimacy when you can share your partner's fetish, a level of trust that is just beautiful. maybe it's cos i dated a girl who loved having her feet worshiped, i get what that's about, although i don't have a foot fetish myself.

as for the step father, that i can't abide. children are a no-no. that quote, anarch, was interesting. i've never thought of it like that. the review was interesting, but i hate quotes like this:
“The whole language of S&M is appealing...perhaps at a dangerous price.”
it's borne out of ignorance. most bdsm practitioners are either of the safe, sane, consensual (ssc) school, or the risk aware consensual kink (rack) either way, you agree to whatever it is that you are doing...
auralpoison
Foot fetishism is pretty vanilla, so I'd want to know that I may reap the benefit. A guy'd have to be into some extreme kink for me to be squicked. Like, EXTREME play. Anything involving bodily fluids/functions like scat, golden showers or blood play. I have a friend that's really into CBT, shibari, breast binding, knife play, play piercing, piss, etc. It doesn't give me the wiggins, but I don't play with him for a reason.
girltrouble
ooooooo....shibari.... i heart shibari. sooo pretty. lol. yeah there are some things were i draw the line (scat springs to mind), but i'm pretty kinky (as if that's a secret). hell, blood play doesn't scare me anymore, and i love (giving)cbt. that's good times. lol. hooks however...*shudder* but i'm with you, foot fetish? if i liked my feet, i'd be like "BONUS!" foot fetishists are sooooo easy to please. but i suppose this discussion should go into the flogging thread if it goes any further.
stargazer
Teen Vogue

i wish there were some decent teen mags out there. sassy, you were ahead of your time.
ketto
I consider a foot fetish pretty vanilla too. When I was still on a dating site I was chatting with a guy and we got into talking about sexual things. He asked if I would ever let anyone kiss my feet or suck on my toes - sure, why not? I may not be down to reciprocate but it feels good for me. He was shocked, I kid you not. He said he'd never been with a woman who let him do that. Really now?

As per teen vogue, ugh. I never thought neon would really make a come back. I can't wait until my niece is old enough to be into magazines so I can get her subscriptions to smart ones. She's only 5 but she comes home from kindergarten upset because some other girls told her she has a big tummy. I always tell her that I have a big tummy too and then I stick it out and and I tell her to do it too and we talk about how beautiful we are. I think her mom has a bad influence on her and I don't think my brother realizes how damaging weight pre-occupation is.
zoya
ketto - I've had that happen, too - when a guy was shocked that i'd let him suck my toes, and like it, even. The other thing that always shocks me is that the last few guys I've been with have all been like really pleasantly surprised that I liked it when they came on me. and that I liked watching them get themselves off. I can't imagine that it's that unusual for a girl to like that??? I do find it amusing that some things for me which just go without saying are vanilla, seem to be more shocking than I'd ever imagine, to a lot more people than I'd think.

GT - I also think that shibari is beautiful. I would love to be tied like that someday. I love the patterns the ropes make on skin, when they come off, too. and I too, have discovered that I love giving CBT. I would love to get better at it, even. (specially with the psychological aspect) Not into bodily fluids and functions, though. I suppose I'd give peeing on someone a whirl, if it wasn't a regular thing. I'd never want to be peed on, though. ick.
crazyoldcatlady
iraqi woman arranges rape of 80 women

wow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.