Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the F@%&?! And more feminist outrage...
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The F-Word
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
nohope
has anyone been fallowing this news story

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3327143,00.html
maddy29
holy crap-i read about this last week but was hoping it was a joke or bad rumor. apparently not. wtf is up with this world??? how can this be ok??

Simpson has agreed to an "unrestricted" interview with book publisher Judith Regan, Fox said. "O.J. Simpson, in his own words, tells for the first time how he would have committed the murders if he were the one responsible for the crimes," the network said in a statement. "In the two-part event, Simpson describes how he would have carried out the murders he has vehemently denied committing for over a decade." The interview will air days before Simpson's new book, "If I Did It," goes on sale Nov. 30. The book, published by Regan, "hypothetically describes how the murders would have been committed." In a video clip on the network's Web site, an off-screen interviewer says to Simpson, "You wrote 'I have never seen so much blood in my life.'" "I don't think any two people could be murdered without everybody being covered in blood," Simpson responds.
katiebelle2882
i agree knorl.

it's just a testament to how many different 'feminisms" there are. while i dont think there should be one kind, it certainly doesnt help our cause to be so fractured.

yeah maddy i heard about that. its totally fucked up and disgusting. i know you shohuldnt wish death on anyone, but that is someone who should be thrown under a bus.
katiebelle2882
hmmmm kids make you less happy. not very shocking to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/...view/index.html

thats good news for people who want to stay childless
vesicapisces
Here we go again.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
grenadine
if that kind of thing becomes the norm, i will make it my personal mission to "demean" women everywhere. all the time. mexican BCPs, anyone? wink.gif

my personal outrage this week has to do with the sangfroid with which the media and the courts are taking those american soldiers' rape of a 14-year-old iraqi girl and murder of her and her family. it says a lot about us as a society that, when under the stress of war, we decide to violate every right a young woman has in order to 'process' some of our issues...

http://www.dispatch.co.za/2006/11/17/Foreign/abushh.html
maddy29
i'm really upset about this oj book-what can we do? who is publishing such trash, who is paying him? who is printing and distributing the book? can we do a campaign or something? this just seems insane that there is a publishing house that is willing to put this book out....
grenadine
well, i don't know any media powerhouses personally...but it strikes me that the public-opinion level is the best place to decry such things. maybe somehow we could inspire one of the talk shows (oprah? the view?) to do a show about how that book represents EVIL INCARNATE and people who buy it are CRASS, GOOSESTEPPING, SCHADENFREUDE-ridden sheep (i'm actually dead serious here)?
nickclick
QUOTE(maddy29 @ Nov 17 2006, 10:49 AM) *

i'm really upset about this oj book-what can we do? who is publishing such trash, who is paying him? who is printing and distributing the book?

the answer to all these questions is (not surprisingly) RUPERT MURDOCH
maddy29
Fox Broadcasting Company will be airing a two-part taped interview with Simpson, conducted by Judith Regan, publisher of the book. The interview is scheduled to air on November 27 and 29, timed to coincide with the publication. Fox admits this isn't a news show. It is appearing as programming on the Fox network, which is the entertainment arm of the company. The network released this statement on November 15: "O.J. Simpson, in his own words, tells for the first time how he would've committed the murders if he were the one responsible for the crimes. In the two-part event, Simpson describes how he would have carried out the murders he has vehemently denied committing for over a decade.
Ok, so Fox needs to be targeted, clearly!

The day after the announcement, an online boycott commenced at OJbookBoycott.com and similar boycotts began in Australia and Europe.[6]

We can check out that website.

Harper Collins Books will be publishing it under their Regan Books division on November 30, 2006. Publisher Judith Regan was quoted by AP news as saying, "This is an historic case, and I consider this his confession".[4]

Harper Collins books, Fox Broadcasting Company-what about contacting book stores to ask them to PLEASE not carry this book?

I like the talk show idea. It's hard, cause all this controversy just gives him more publicity, but i do like the idea-i could see oprah doing somethiing like that....

treehugger
QUOTE(grenadine @ Nov 17 2006, 09:48 AM) *

if that kind of thing becomes the norm, i will make it my personal mission to "demean" women everywhere. all the time. mexican BCPs, anyone? wink.gif

my personal outrage this week has to do with the sangfroid with which the media and the courts are taking those american soldiers' rape of a 14-year-old iraqi girl and murder of her and her family. it says a lot about us as a society that, when under the stress of war, we decide to violate every right a young woman has in order to 'process' some of our issues...

http://www.dispatch.co.za/2006/11/17/Foreign/abushh.html

Grenadine, all I can say to that article is:

GAH.

I'm thoroughly disgusted with that. sad.gif
grenadine
well, it's pretty damn disgusting. and telling that one of the ways stressed and traumatised u.s. troops have been known to abuse human rights is through raping girl children, especially those who aren't "european" and can therefore be seen as sub-human (e.g. vietnam and the recent west asia/middle east wars). it makes me hate the world.
roseviolet
Vesica, I just came across that news on CNN this morning.
Contraception, Abortion Foe to Head Family Planning Office
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/17/fam...g.ap/index.html

Since he's outnumbered in the House & Senate, I guess ol' Bushy has got to offend us in any way he can. Grrrrrrrrrrr. How the hell can a person who is against something as basic as contraception be appointed to this position?!?!? How ass-backwards is that?!?!?!?
raisingirl
The Simpson book and TV interviews have been canceled. It's about freakin' time.

Even Bill O'Reilly was against it.
chachaheels
I thought the US had a law making it illegal for criminals to profit from the sale, in print or other media form, of their "story".

Granted, OJ was acquitted in criminal court--but he was found to be liable in civil court (and though he lost he still hasn't made the retribution he was ordered to make to the family of the victims). Couldn't someone find a way of making this type of restriction stick in OJ's case? There's a precedent setting, high profile case that could make a law career for someone....
grenadine
really and truly, raisin?? really???

chacha, the u.s. has various laws on the books, some of which (new york's son of sam law) have been found unconstitutional. in o.j.'s case, he was acquitted, so i assume no laws apply - especially since the book is being marketed as fiction.

i'm against violence, but if i were o.j's kid i might just arrange for him to meet a lot of horny bisexual pro wrestler rapists in a dark alley.
jesuswentbowling
I wanted to make a new topic about this, but I couldn't, so this looks like a good place to plop this post down in. (As you can probably tell, I'm a newbie. laugh.gif)

I live in Georgia, one of the only states that stayed Republican in this election, much to my dismay. ANYWAY, our state isn't known for being progressive, but I am! (I live in Atlanta, though, which is fairly progressive compared to the rest of the state. My county, DeKalb, always appears blue/indigo on election maps!)

I write for my high school paper--in fact, I'm the co-editor-in-chief. An issue or two ago, I wrote an opinion piece praising Plan B for being available OTC, but saying it should be available to girls under 18, too. (I'm turning 18 in a little less than a month, yay!) I explained what Plan B is because a lot of folks just don't know, etc. etc. I purposefully wrote it in sterile language (I never actually used the phrase "sexual intercourse," just "intercourse," in fact the word sex is never seen in the article at all) because I wanted to avoid any problems. My principal takes a look at the article and commands me to cut it because I'm condoning sexual activity between unmarried teens. OH MY GOD WHAT AN ABSURD CONCEPT THAT IS. rolleyes.gif I was just wanting to tell girls about how to stay healthy and safe IF they should choose to have sex (and that's their call).

This issue, a guy I kinda like (and by kinda I mean a lot, but I don't know how to approach him...) writes an article about abstinence-only sex-ed and how ridiculous it is, taking care to mention some of the things that abstinence-only proponents have said (y'know, HIV can be transmitted through tears, etc.). He says the words sex, condom, STD, and birth control more than once and the end commands readers to go to two websites to get comprehensive sex-ed in schools. This is a noble cause. He even has footnotes in the article. He takes my advice to run it by the principal, does so, and his article gets the green light. The only thing he has to do is put a disclaimer at the top saying it's only his opinion. I wasn't even presented with this option when I had my article checked over--I was just told it had to be cut.

Today I am mad.gif because I JUST realized this was pretty unfair. My mom said I have a "case," but I don't really want to take this to court or anything. (They'd probably invoke the Hazelwood case and point out that, really, NEITHER of us has First Amendment rights while we write for the school paper.)

I just wanted to rant about this to people who might see my way on the issue and I think y'all will see my way. Thanks for reading (and replying is great, too, but not necessary)!
grenadine
jesus, i think you should complain. you don't have to sue to point out that there doesn't seem to be any reason for the difference other than gender discrimination. if you make your case as well as you did here, i wouldn't be surprised if your piece gets published! and if not, i'd make copies and hand it out myself. it's amazing how much more comfortable people can be with boys discussing sex than girls. and if that's not the reason, at least you'll find out.

in other news, i am stunned and appalled at delta/freedom airlines kicking off a breastfeeding mother and her child. anti-woman, anyone? anti-child? anti-freedom? i just came from an hour of reading MSN boards comments about it, and it's amazing how ignorant people are (and how many people still let themselves be ruled by an irrational and reactionary cultural taboo against breastfeeding).
pepper
i'm sorry, WHAT?!? grenadine, that's just beyond appaling. wtf is that? geez.

hey jwb, stop by the newbies thread to introduce yourself and the community forum for info on the unspoken rules (ie starting new threads and such). and HI! welcome.
grenadine
yeah. the woman's name is emily gillette. she was booted off a delta flight while breastfeeding her 22-month-old while waiting for takeoff. apparently the flight attendant (she was sitting in the 2nd to last row, window seat, with her husband on the aisle) told her she was "offending her."

the scary thing is, i've been reading these MSN boards, and the number of people who are *afraid* of or *angered* by breastfeeding because they think it's somehow dirty or disgusting is huge. especially those who think that breastfeeding any child over a year is somehow child abuse. i want to go in there and bitch-slap all of them. and it's not just men; it's a lot of women, even some moms, too. don't people realise that by buying into the idea that breastfeeding is shameful they're supporting misogynism (not to mention ignorance and stupidity)????

there were nurse-ins all over the country today and over the last few days.
pepper
holy crap. i live in mama la la land, it's crazy breast friendly here. i forget how idiotic other people can be. i nursed my little for 3.5 years. i wouldn't take back a minute of it.
faerietails
and, you know, that flight attendant had some nerve. it's not even like the woman was out in the "open" (but even if she was, it's none of anyone else's damn business to regulate her breast feedings). she was in the window seat toward the back of the plane and her husband was sitting in the aisle seat, which in itself blocks out people's views.

with all the brouhaha, i wonder if the flight attendent ended up getting fired. that was a really stupid move she made.
grenadine
well, yeah! i doubt anyone could see anything. apparently the flight attendant took it upon herself to tell gillette "you are offending me."

this really irks me because i know how easy it is to have stupid, baseless assumptions. before i started educating myself about breastfeeding (i.e. before i got pregnant, which was a surprise in my previously very CBC life) i thought breastfeeding past a year was weird too. then i realised that my assumptions were based on NOTHING...except being told what to think by the same cultural forces that told our grandparents "sure, you can breastfeed...if you want to STARVE your baby!"

in some of my classes this year i've been doing a lesson on egocentric thinking and its perils. too bad i can't invite myself over to delta to train their crew.

ETA:haters. those people are just haters. that flight attendant must have been reacting to the age of the child, not the boob exposure, because i don't see how, logistically, she could see anything (and i have seen pictures of emily gillette and she is a small woman, not that it matters except that, logistically, she couldn't have been hanging out to the degree some of us could). it's been bothering me all night and the reason is: it's not that you have a "right" to think a 22 month old is too old to nurse. you don't, because you're *not thinking.* there are all these men, one in particular with jesus in his handle, going on MSN boards saying it's "perverse" to nurse that long. how can they not see that an irrational prejudice against breastfeeding is not a product of culture, but a product of monsanto??

grrr !@*&^^!!!!&*@#&!*
jesuswentbowling
QUOTE(grenadine @ Nov 22 2006, 12:53 AM) *
yeah. the woman's name is emily gillette. she was booted off a delta flight while breastfeeding her 22-month-old while waiting for takeoff. apparently the flight attendant (she was sitting in the 2nd to last row, window seat, with her husband on the aisle) told her she was "offending her."

the scary thing is, i've been reading these MSN boards, and the number of people who are *afraid* of or *angered* by breastfeeding because they think it's somehow dirty or disgusting is huge. especially those who think that breastfeeding any child over a year is somehow child abuse. i want to go in there and bitch-slap all of them. and it's not just men; it's a lot of women, even some moms, too. don't people realise that by buying into the idea that breastfeeding is shameful they're supporting misogynism (not to mention ignorance and stupidity)????

there were nurse-ins all over the country today and over the last few days.

Yup. There was a big one at Hartsfield-Jackson because that's Delta's big hub airport.

I still remember this fiasco about a magazine that had a side-view picture of a baby being breastfed on the cover once. No nipple could be seen, just the round side part of the breast and the baby's face, but still readers of that particular magazine freaked out.

The biggest wtf of this whole thing is the fact that some women don't like breastfeeding. Huh?? It's been proven to help with intelligence and the immune system. Plus, it's just what you're supposed to do! That's the primary function of breasts in the first place. This society has sexualized them, though...
mornington
the whole no-breastfeeding in public thing just... gah. it doesn't make much difference to me whether you put the kid on the boob or the bottle, or how old they are (besides, 22 months isn't *that* old - still in diapers and not really walking, no? my knowledge of weans is... dodgy at best) If it wasn't on the boob it'd be on the bottle still, surely. Personally, I find screaming kids far more offensive than the sight of a breastfeeding wean - and it's not indecent; you see more boob on mtv.

If it was "peverse", would women not be incapable of breastfeeding for more than three years? She's not taking any hormones or anything, and it's really quite a natural process.
pepper
22 months is nearly two years, they walk at around one so...
still. it's young.

breastfeeding reduces the incidence of breast cancer as well. nature is so smart.

christina and brittany in public in some of those gets up just for the sake of fashion are ok but a little "round part of the boob" for baby feeding purposes is freak-out worthy. wow. what planet are we on?
chachaheels
You hear of these occasional freak outs over breastfeeding, like it's something that is so offensive no one could possibly endure witnessing it.

People have this crazy idea that human beings pop out of the womb and eat Chicken McNuggets. I think it's incredibly sad that a woman was offended by this, too. I mean, how does she think she was kept alive after being born? It just underlines the extent to which misogyny persists. Women and women's bodies, with all their capabilities for creating and sustaining life, still cause people to react as if they're offended.

I certainly hope that this woman and her family are offered a lifetime of free airline travel on this carrier as an apology.

anna k
I saw my cousin breastfeed her baby when I was a kid. I knew it was natural and normal, but I left the room because I didn't want to be impolite and stare.
speedy
I think part of the problem is that since 9/11, airline personnel are pretty quick to boot you if they feel you're going to be any trouble at all. Not that breastfeeding is trouble, but tossing you off seems to be first option now, you know? Like those six imams who were booted the other day. I'll bet the breastfeeding mom got tossed not for the feeding but for disputing the attendant's judgment. One strike and you're off. Cripes!
chachaheels
Well, it's true that part of it could be not agreeing with the stewardess, but I still hear of at least one incidence a year where a woman is out with her baby, just minding her business at a park or mall or public pool or something, and she'll be given a ticket because she chooses to breastfeed her baby when it's hungry. So it goes beyond just the airplane (since Delta has vehemently denied that they condoned this employee's behaviour).
pepper
what the HELL kind of ticket can you be given for feeding a baby in public? don't even tell me it's indecent exposure or i'm gonna puke.

you know it's legal for women to go topless in ontario, or is it just toronto? it has been for a few years now. totally topless, totally legal.
chachaheels
Well, in one incidence a woman was ordered out of a public swimming pool area for god knows why...the police did give her a ticket and then squawked about how "it was unsanitary for other swimmers", "there were kids around", etc. I know it just burned their bums to have a woman say, "No, I will not get out of the pool and I will not cover up--I am feeding my baby and that is the way it is", more than anything.

As for the topless in Toronto--it's true, however it's not an easy thing to do unless it's Pride Day. As Wombat said in another thread--"Male attention? It's pretty easy to get, especially when you DON'T want it." It'd be pretty difficult to walk any distance with all the bullshit you'd have to endure if you were to just up and take your shirt off.
crazyoldcatlady
It'd be pretty difficult to walk any distance with all the bullshit you'd have to endure if you were to just up and take your shirt off.

yeah, i couldn't imagine topless attention when i wore a skirt (grey, non-formfitting, to the knees, generally professional) today and got more old man leers and gawks than what i thought was humanly possible. i mean, you'd think i was walking around in pasties and g-string.

as for the breastfeeder, i'm surprised vermont was involved; they're usually more liberal than that. kid hungry? go ahead, whip out the boob, that's what its for. it's not there for you, a grown man, to oogle and fondle.

that being said...
... lady who is washing her breat pump parts in the sink in the kitchen at work: stop it. your breast milk, while nutritious for your kid, is still a *body fluid* with many of the inherent risks that come with it. do not rinse out the funnels over other people's dishes.
chachaheels
Seriously.

I used to go out to do laundry, wearing sweatpants and cardigans, with my hair up in a hat. And there would always be a group of useless men just killing time harassing the women who walked by. They are out there looking for targets, just hoping some woman will get pissed off enough or humiliated enough to acknowledge their pitiful existence. You just have to BE to give them an excuse: going topless would be nice, but it isn't worth the cost of grief (let alone the fact that such subintellects would probably think you were inviting more than just catcalls...and the Toronto Police would very likely agree with them).
margot
Hmm...As a former flight attendant (and breastfeeder, Yay!) I suspect there may be more to this story.
It is an extremely expensive business to remove a passenger from a flight.
In 8 years of flying, I NEVER saw a passenger removed. Every minute an aircraft is delayed, to remove passengers and luggage, can cost thousands.
Also, the captain has the final say, and one would hope that flight crew are pretty reasonable. They usually are.
I imagine she was asked to stop breastfeeding, as the child must be restrained for take-off. It is still achievable to feed a child whilst it's restrained, but I wonder if the mother refused?
All speculation, of course.
Like I said, It's SO difficult to get a passenger off a flight, I imagine the whim of a stewardess wouldn't be enough.
grenadine
margot, if the child is under 2 and a lap child, wouldn't you just hold him/her in your lap to restrain them, as she was doing? when i have flown with my son, i was never asked to restrain him (he was a year old at the time) because he didn't have his own seat.
the story: emily gillette and her husband confirmed that she was asked to cover her child with a blanket, not to restrain the child, and that she politely refused, the flight attendant (who does not dispute this) then reportedly said, "you're offending me," and went and got ground personnel to deplane them. apparently other delta/freedom personnel offered to reboard them after they had already been removed, which they declined.
i'm sure you're right that removing a passenger is expensive business, but i wonder if all the recent tightening in airport/airline security makes it easier to remove one at a staff member's discretion (if the passenger is "not cooperating," for example).

at any rate, i have read several articles and gillette's lawyer's statement, as well as the delta and freedom spokespeoples' statements, and they all agree with the points above. apparently, said flight attendant was "new to her job" and "has been disciplined," whatever that means.
it seems unlikely to me that the flight attendant's distaste for a 22-month-old breastfeeding was not a factor, or perhaps distaste for breastfeeding in general. we had a big discussion of this in the busty moms of not-so-wee ones thread, and moxie linked a washington post article that was really interesting...interesting because it presented a mostly balanced view on the subsequent protests, then ended with the WHO recommendation about breastfeeding until six months. if i were Joe Uninformed, i'd sure take that to mean you don't need to breastfeed a 22 month old...
i actually wrote the author of the article informing her that her choice of closing information was misleading and irrelevant in light of the WHO recommendation that children be breastfed for at least two years. yes, i'm nitpicky. but imagine the thousands of joe ignorants who are now thinking, "what the hell was she doing breastfeeding a 22-month-old anyhow?" based on that article's sloppy/biased presentation?
grenadine
here i go, the sound of one hand clapping...

i just got a response back from my letter to delta - for those interested, pasted below. those not interested, please ignore...and we can move on to the next outrageous thing.

(delta's letter immediately below, my letter below that) ~

Thank you for contacting Delta Air Lines.

Delta Air Lines is disappointed to hear about the removal of the
passenger onboard Freedom Airlines Flight 6160. As you may know, they
are one of our Delta Connection partners.

Delta supports a mother?s right to breastfeed her baby onboard our
aircraft. Please let me assure you that we are working with Freedom
Airlines on their investigation of this matter. Following the results
of this internal investigation, Delta will work with Freedom (a
subsidiary Mesa Air Group) to ensure that their procedures mirror
Delta?s service standards.

Again, thank you for contacting us. We will always welcome the
opportunity to be of service.

We appreciate your interest in Delta Air Lines.

Sincerely,

Casey Taylor
Online Customer Support Desk
http://www.delta.com

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

PERSONAL INFORMATION:

SkyMiles Number:

COMMENT DETAILS:

Comments:

As a frequent airline traveler, I am disturbed by Delta Airlines'
Freedom Airlines-operated flight's expulsion of nursing mother Emily
Gillette from a Burlington flight. Breast feeding children is not only a
right, but is recommended by the World Health Organization for at least
two years. Delta/Freedom personnel and, by extension, the airlines acted
to the detriment of the child and children everywhere by removing the
Gillette family from their flight. Regardless of the flight attendant's
ignorance of the right to and benefits of breastfeeding, it is Delta's
responsibility to make sure that ALL employees and partners uphold a
standard that is respectful of customers and families. Interfering in a
child's feeding is neither appropriate nor justified and is certainly
detrimental to the welfare of the child.

I believe that Delta, as a corporate leader in air travel, has a legal
and ethical responsibility to confirm its commitment to child welfare
and to the spirit of the state laws that explicity prohibit interfering
with a breastfeeding parent. It is not enough to apologize. Delta has
angered thousands of pro-family Americans, and a public statement of not
only Delta's regret, but of Delta's support of and commitment to
childhood health and parenting rights, including training employees to
respect and nurture children and families rather than harassing them, is
the only thing that will make me and others like me consider patronizing
this airline again.
katiebelle2882
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/this_world/6143010.stm

this is a weird but interesting article. to be sure, the japanese certainly have some major social issues they very often dont address, and their culture in many ways is totally bizarre in their ability to have grown women get fixated on weird things, but i would bet this stuff happens here.

snafooey
Preteen "model" sites shut down
chachaheels
It does already happen here, Katiebelle. Maybe the "obsessions" are less showy than the ones presented in the article, but the whole concept of "retirement" face to face with the state of marriage as it exists in our society (and in the Japanese one as well) causes major suffering. It's funny how they focused on women in that article though, and actually really odd how they managed to "see" it in Japan, but not in Western culture, where it's pretty commonplace too.
mornington
I just thought this was interesting... how they retouch magazine covers.

http://demo.fb.se/e/girlpower/retouch/retouch/index.html

mouse
<slight derail>
this is the opposite of outrage, but we don't seem to have a thread for current events, let alone current events important to feminists.....i'm sure a lot of you have probably been following the story of the kims, the oregon family who went missing this past week--they're still searching for the man, but the woman and children have been found and are safe. she kept her kids--age 4 and 7months--alive by breastfeeding them.

which is pretty goddamn awesome.

article link
vesicapisces
Those folks are apparently friends of a former (and maybe currently lurking?) Bustie, Missrisk aka Wasabininja.

(I think they're from SF but got lost in Oregon.)
maddy29
thanks for the link to the retouchign thing-here is a short movie made by dove-shows a similar thing, very interesting, yet makes me so mad!!!! a good reminder, i know that they retouch stuff always, but i forget to what degree they do it.

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/
mouse
yes, vesica, that's right, they're from sf.

wasabininja is around, she hangs out in the reader thread a lot.

i just thought it was amazing that the mother kept them alive by breastfeeding. how's that for resourceful?
maddy29
good thing for her there was no one else there to be "offended" at the sight of her feeding her 4 year old from the breast..... wink.gif
mouse
exactly.

god, our bodies are fucking awesome.
erinjane
Not a rage, but a postive: my university did a really great December 6th vigil today. The womyn's centre did a 'die in' where 14 women lay down at the entrance, each representing a woman who was murdered in the Montreal Massacre. Got people's attention at least. Made me all teary eyed. biggrin.gif
lucizoe
Eww.

So, marching suspected prostitutes and pimps through city streets for a "public shaming" is meant to accomplish....what, exactly, China?

And the Taliban is regaining more and more control over Afghanistan...some of the nuttier neocons in America are trying to get an ill senator declared incapacitated so the governor can appoint a Republican and regain control of the Senate (even though you can technically only do that in case of death)...George Bush is continuing his impersonation of a crankly four year old having a temper tantrum...what a nice day it has been.

rolleyes.gif
punkerplus
All inter-related outrage, but different aspects:

In Ipswich 5 women were murdered in 10 days and so obviously a huge hunt has been launched for what is thought to be a serial killer. All of these women were sex workers and so the police have put out specific warnings to women who work on the streets advising them to stay in.

But it really pisses me off when all the media says is "five prostitutes have been murdered..." "the first prostitute to be found...." "another prostitute has gone missing...". Hello? These are women with lives and families and hopes and dreams and all the rest that other women have. They are not entirely defined by their profession and you shouldn't define them as such!

And worse, the amount of cretins (otherwise thought to be intelligent, respectible people) who have come out of the woodwork with compassionate comments such as "well they knew what risk they were taking" as if they somehow deserved to be murdered. Not to mention the man I heard say "its not exactly like its a huge loss to society, who cares if we lose a few hookers?" I was speechless. Call me niave, but I never really realised how little regard society has for sex workers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.