Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lingua Mania™ - Part IV
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3
maimy
Tes, there's something of a pop if you bite a whole (pitted) cherry, but I think it refers more to the hymen blood and the fact that a virgin, like a fruit, is considered to be fresh, sweet, and desirable/voluptuous. I always thought of pop-the-cherry as a reference to, ah, the "juice" (the blood) being made to flow.

I may, of course, be absolutely wrong.

Raisin, I am not that stupid - but I do confess, I don't care enough to be nearly as smart as you. I never really pay much attention to forward versus back in slash terminology. However, I also rarely USE slash terminology - and if I were called upon to do so in BROADCAST, I would damned sure make certain I consulted a reliable source (one presumes you!) to be sure I didn't look like a jackass.

I saw a whole new homonym-misspelling yesterday. Our CEO sent out a stern little note to several Operating Committee members, and in it he expressed shock and dismay that certain policies were not being adhered to. He said, and I quote - "It blows my mine". It took me several minutes to think he MIGHT actually have believed that to be the phrase, like an actual munitions-type MINE was what he thought was blowing up in that phrase. Amusingly, the rest of his sentence consisted of "that we are being careless about T&E. policies" - and, yes, for some reason, he included a period after T&E.

I'll say this - when the CEO is so careless he sends out a message like that, IT BLOWS MY MIND.

Heh.
bunnyb
I think maimy has it to a tee, and have you ever looked at a cherry once bitten into it? female genitalia right there.

raisin, that's infuriating! you can see that a forward slash is leaning forwards and a back slash is leaning backwards, c'mon!
mouse
maimy, i don't understand how people in such positions of authority/power/success can think it's okay to have such shitty english. on an illustration forum i frequent, we were talking about art directors and employers not paying attention to spelling or grammar, and someone quoted this gem:

"Cna you pelase get this REV dome ASAP?

- Tahnks"

That is an actual email I recieved from a salesman. By the way, he didn't even reference what job he was talking about.

My response was that "I didn't bring my Klingon/English dictionary to work with me today, so could you please translate your request?"
maimy
Oh, Mouse - I adore you to itty-bitty bits. You have me laughing quite heartily out loud here. Heh.

Also - though I don't know whether I'm spelling it correctly - as a Star Trek geek, I must add a hearty K'PLACH to your commentary. That email is ghastly!!
go_kayte
Oh jeez Maimy now I can't resist. Mouse, that guy is a total PetaQ!
mouse
hehehe smile.gif

i can't take credit for that comeback, though--everything in italics is a quote from an illustrator on another board. super quick thinking though!!
girltrouble
bumpy?
fuego_lento
*drive by*

If I never have to hear the word "extreme" (other than when it's properly used) again, I'll be so happy. Extreme sports, extreme pumpkin carving, extreme push-up bras: no. The misusage of "extreme" is so '90s. Can't we come up with something new?

Diva. I've had it up to here with "diva." Being a diva used to mean you were a talented singer who also happened to be demanding. Now every hyper-entitled spoiled bitch calls herself a diva. Christ, I see 9-year-olds wearing T-shirts that say "diva" in sparkly letters. Enough, already. The entitlement should arrive after the talent has been proven and dues have been paid. Without talent, you're just a pain in my ass.
juls
Instantaneous... this word ENRAGES ME! In which situation should I use this word instead of "instant" or "spontaneous"?

Another one that gets me mad is "double-cyclonic action".
kelkello
Fuego, it's funny about "extreme." I found myself yesterday explaining the concept of a monk to a child. I told her a monk is like a priest, only more extreme. Then I felt so ridulous because I began imagining my uncle, the monk, skating on a halfpipe or snowboarding down a mountain in his Benedictine black robes. It was hilarious imagery, but it certainly made me think about the turn of definition for that word.
maimy
Fuego - beautifully put (90s reference point and all!). Hee.

KelKello, hahahahaha! The only possible response (also a bit dated itself): AHH-SUUUUMMMM. Dude.

Hurr.

This is such a great thread.
juls
I can't stand it when people use the term "as per", like in the phrase "as per our agreement, yackityyack...". Shouldn't it be either/or? To me, using "as" and "per" one after another sounds redundant and just plain dumb.

I mean, why can't people just write "as stated in our agreement,...", or at the very least "per our agrement,..."?

French is my first language so please correct me if I'm wrong.
jami
I can't stand the phrase "on the same page"
can you give me an alternate?
mouse
jami-- "in agreement" would work fine.
jami
mouse - I much prefer 'in agreement'
thanks ~J~
opheliathemuse
Juls, instantaneous refers to an action with no delay between it and another act, or an occurrence(s) without perceptible length of time between. Spontaneous simply means from natural origins; arising from natural tendency. Orion, my boyfriend, may like have spontaneous tendencies but he will never be an instantaneous person, get what I mean? It's not physically/grammatically possible. Having my first seizure was arguably an instantaneous life change for me but it wasn't spontaneous. Also, instant is again different. The muffins will be done baking in an instant.

where's the double-cyclonic thing from? It's making me laugh!

Fuego, the only true divas I've ever been around are opera divas. They are worth it though, and generally very nice. Agreed on all fronts.

I miss this thread!
opheliathemuse
ugh, I hope this makes sense! I'm tired! =)
indiechick
i'd hate to see this thread die.
bunnyb
After the interesting and enthusiastic derailment of the cobs thread I thought I would attempt to resurrect this thread.

I will need to reread the posts when I have more time but glancing down briefly I see a related post to something linguistic I have been thinking about but I'll return to that later, again when I have more time.

For the present: I find it so affected and pretentious when somebody says words with an overly foreign pronunciation e.g. Barthelona, Paree or Mehico. I think that unless you are fluent in the chosen language -and even then it comes off as arsey- you should stick to the English equivalent and save the correct (in whatever language) pronunciation to the professionals.
vixen_within
Whereas I never get bored of pronouncing anything that ends in n-e-t, NAY, "as the french say". Cabinet = CabiNAY. Internet=InterNAY
Simple pleasures.
Christine Nectarine
I'm usually dismissive of using mile-long Greek terms, but I love this one: paraskevidekatriaphobia
kittenb
bump
vixen_within
Oh Christine, I was trying to hard not to think about that on Friday. It just seemed to unfair that it was happening two months in a row!
Persiflager
Adfenestrate - to sneak in through a window!

Callipygian - beautiful-bottomed

Bathukolpian - deep-bosomed
Christine Nectarine
callipygian...i like that! it sounds very romantic.
squidmo
Adfenestrate - as in:

Late one night in high school, I adfenestrated to see my boyfriend, because I was, like, so grounded.

Maybe?
girl_logic
I think it's time to bring back "the cat's meow", "the cat's pajamas" and "the bee's knees".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.