Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lingua Mania™ - Part IV
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3
venetia
Ophelia, I think that must be a slang use of the term, because my SOED thinks irrumation is the insertion of the penis into a sexual partner's mouth, and to irrumate is to do this (irrumate also meant "give suck" generally but only in 1630-1699). (ETA what Maimy said)

My uni tests the incoming students for language skills and an increasing number of english speaking background students have significantly low scores. They're the hardest group to help because they assume that their english skills are fine because it's their first (and usually only) language. However, the idea that "everybody" is like that is... well put it this way, the A students aren't like that.
I'm 31 and I wasn't taught grammar except in the home.
maimy
Grammar and style were taught in my school. I am retroactively grateful for my primary education now ... Yikes.
opheliathemuse
whoops, I was taking it on faith from a friend's reference. Remind me not to do that again!
Interesting etymology though.

My school had primarily Spanish-speaking students. They did not teach English grammar at an early age, due to the large number of children who needed ESL. I had a grammar unit in eighth grade, which of course I was highly annoyed by.
zab
Yeah, French grammar is a pain in the butt. I love English just as much (my family was half franco, half anglo): lovely wih less headaches. Speaking of tabernacle and calice... those words have been popping up in the subways here as part of an ad campaign for the Church. i guess they're that desperate for attention!
vesicapisces
Wait, "tabernacle" and "chalice" are diryt?
tyger
only in french, vesica. whereas the us/canadian see sex/bodily functions as dirty, and therefore our diryt words refer to that used in the sense of swear words are bad, for french using religious words as swear words is the *ultimate* swear, because their society was so very, very catholic (in france and in quebec), while sex isn't so dirty to them. i'm not explaining this as well as i could, but i hope people can get the gist of it from my babble.

'twas funny when i was on exchange, as the word 'fuck' has absolutely NO meaning in french. it's their nonsense 'expletive'. so when they came here we were like 'you might not want to say fuck and fucked so much', and then we'd have to explain to them what it meant, and then they were like 'and that's bad why?', but i never heard any of them ever actually say colis(chalice) or tabernacle. they'd always say 'colline' (which confused the hell out of me, as a colline is a little hill) and tabahouete
zab
actually, câline is a euphemism for câlice and tabarouette for tabernacle (a bit like gosh and darn in English). I guess it all depends on where and when you're born, because i now live in a poor neigborhood where, ahem, nobody bothers to use câline if you know what i mean. and if i had dared to say "fuck" at home when i was growing up (in the seventies), my mother would have chopped off my head...
tyger
oh, i know that caline and tabahouette are like gosh and darn and fudgesticks and all that jazz. it was kinda a tangent that i got on while trying to explain the difference in curse words in french and english.

so, last night my friend was wondering if there was a female equivalent for 'fellate', at which point we decided 'cunningulates' was a really funny word. and then we thought 'is there a proper term for rimming?'. 'cause i said it was asselate, but we're thinking that it's probably not it.
indiechick
hi all you native speakers,

i need some translation help for the title of my friend's bachelor thesis. the german title is "schrumpfende städte in ostdeutschland - wohnungsleerstand und seine soziale folgen". the first part translates into "shrinking cities in east germany - .... and its social consequences".

i don't know how to translate "wohnungsleerstand": it's a noun made up of two others (germans combine as many nouns as possible to make up a new noun) and basically means that a lot of apartments are empty, vacant, not lived in.

right now, my translation is "shrinking cities in east germany - the vacantness of apartments and its social consequences" but i don't think vacantness is what i am looking for. the word should describe a situation when lots of people move to find a better life elsewhere and the apartments are left behind and no one else wants to live there since the surroundings suck. do you have any ideas to help me out? thx.
tyger
indie, could you just say 'vacant apartments and their...'? but that doesn't really encompass the people moving away bit. what about something about mass exodus from the cities? that's all i can think of
mornington
the only one I can think of is "deurbanization" but that's really where people are moving out of the cities (not specifically apartments) but would link to the shrinking cities.

Tyger's suggestion is pretty good... maybe "the social consequences of vacant housing"?
indiechick
wow, thanks y'all. what about "shrinking cities in east germany - vacant housing and its social consequences"? that sounds neat.

and if anyone ever needs help with english-german translations, i'm right here.
maryjo
Sounds great, indiechick!

I would punctuate with a colon rather than the dash, as that's the most common punctuation in English academic titles.
indiechick
thanks for the info, maryjo. however, i think i'll take it as it is. my friend's bachelor thesis is written completely in german but for some weird reason, the title needs to be translated into english although the rest of the paper will never be.
battygurl
I know you've got this solved already, but "deserted" is a word that encompasses the idea that people used to live there but have left, leaving them empty.
venetia
Or "abandoned".
opheliathemuse
whew, this one made it. Can't let this one die!
mouse
i got this one in my email inbox today. a mass email newsletter: "artsy shows to wet your pallette!"
i could have brushed it off as an art pun (in fact, it is a pun i would be proud to have made myself!) except that the sender of this newsletter has never managed to send me one without at least five mispellings and a malapropism, and does not, as far as i know, like to employ the use of puns.

WHET YOUR PALATE, PEOPLE. you are not painting. it comes from the idea that your tastebuds are sharpened and ready for whatever comes along. PLEASE!
tesao
mouse, that WOULD have been a great pun. too bad that the person printing the newsletter didn't recognize it!

i have a friend who used to give "palette palate" parties. he would tell us what the theme colour(s) was/were and then we would all show up dressed in those colours. the food he prepared would all be those colours, as would the linens, the flowers, etc etc.

it was fun, if bizarre, to eat blue food. blink.gif
mouse
driving to work today i saw a billboard for some mechanic company that said "check your breaks". A BILLBOARD!!!!
runningwestward
OK I need some help with grammer... I'm hoping you can help me since you all seem to know your grammer very very well. I am writing my thesis in a sciencific field and one thing I can never figure out is units. Do units get butted up against the numbers they are with or is there a space seperating them? For example is it 5.4mm or 5.4 mm; 4.3lbs or 4.3 lbs. I like the former because the units and their number won't be seperated if they fall at the end of a line but my supervisor is pretty sure it goes the other way but agrees that my thinking makes sense. So we are torn. Which is correct? Anyone?
mouse
there is a space in between the number and the units, runningwestward. if you think about how they're actually two different words ("two millimeters") it makes more sense.

i take back my last post, because it actually was a clever pun from state farm about getting good deals ("breaks"), though i wonder how many heads it went over. now i would like to yell about people who write "rod iron" instead of "wrought iron".
maimy
(I would not do this in any other thread, but ... it's also spelled "grammAr" ...)

Television commercials recently riding my last nerve: na ad for one of those electric scooters used by the elderly or handicapped. "Are you limited by your mobility? The Scooter Store can help."

"Limited BY your mobility"??

Aieeeeeee ... *Head exploding*

Another ad, for a local overpriced body shop: "Come to Bruce's - where you're the customer, not the insurance company."

Now, we all know they mean, I - not the insurance company - am the customer. However, the construction is so weak my angry, angry ears hear only that I am not the insurance company. Even the inflection doesn't help.

Morons.
mouse
heh, maimy, i was debating pointing out "grammAr" and "scienTific". it's hard to control oneself....
indiechick
@running westward: i don't know if those parts should be separated or not BUT there is an option if you are using Word where you can use a "safe space" between two words. this way, they won't get separated when they are at the end of a line.

[this might not be called "safe space" in a non-german Word version but i wouldn't know what you guys across the pond would call it.]
sonik
I have a question; what does the word "goobernational"mean? For some reason it has stuck in my head for over a week and neither Google nor Wikipedia shed a light on the aforementioned word.

Thanks!
roseviolet
Sonik, I think the actual word you're looking for is spelled "gubernatorial". Merriam Webster says it means "of or relating to a governor".
sonik
Thanks RoseV!

I have seen it spelled with two o's, maybe it's some sort of joke.
tesao
nothing of note to add at the moment, but can't stand to see this thread at the bottom. i would be so unhappy if it were to disappear!

wait. just thought of something i was editing last week:

"wretching havoc"

OH! and perhaps the best one, from my supervisor: daily snake!

(okay, so he is not a native speaker of english, but it was just too funny, i couldn't resist. smile.gif )
maimy
"Wretching havoc" makes me think "RETCHING havoc" (or "wretched havoc"?) might make a lovely term for certain symptoms of a hangover. I plan to use that ...
lowredmoon
I've also seen it as "reeking havoc." I guess havoc must smell pretty bad.

From this article on cold prevention on a "self-sustainable communities" website:
http://www.bagelhole.org/?page=75

"Sleep with your close ON. Change any wet/damp close asap."

I'd be more inclined to take this person's advice if they could spell clothes. You should really go see the rest of the article though, it's highly entertaining.
wombat
but who would want to be elected as a "goober" ?!
mouse
i saw a girl with a t-shirt that said "i'm cute your not".
it's one thing if it's just written, once. yes, it bugs me, but i'm not going to go all grammar police on you if it's just in a hurried instant message or something......BUT ON A T-SHIRT? please! i work in the apparel industry, i KNOW that this stuff gets seen by at the very least three people (designer, creative director, and buyer) before it actually goes to print. can you tell me that all three of them really saw nothing wrong?
bunnyb
Grrr, your/you're is my pet peeve and I hit myself if I ever do it whilst in rush (usually in text message).

An official brief was emailed around work AND posted on our main communication system and the manager who wrote it spelled hygiene "hygene". Very professional and detracted from the point somewhat.
mouse
i would also like to bitch that the "just really fucking wierd crushes" should, in fact, be "just really fucking weird crushes". i myself struggled with wierd/weird for ages, but have finally mastered it.
edie52
I was reading a health article online today that made reference to the "digestive track." File under "advice I will NOT be taking."
roseviolet
[imagines Nascar drivers zooming around on the Digestive Track]
Zoom!
mouse
hahahahhaa that's totally what i thought too rv. "WATCH OUT FOR THE PANCREAS!" *swerve* *CRASH*
roseviolet
There are bound to be some reeeeeeeally tight turns in the small intestine. Could get messy! Eep!

As for the "I'm cute your not" shirt ... I'm hoping that there are at least a few employees who've spotted the mistake & secretly giggle at every clueless girl who walks out of the store with that thing!
mouse
heh. i bet. either that or want to gnaw their own arms off in frustration.

my company actually almost printed a t-shirt that said "los angles" on it.
llamas
In an email just sent out at my office: "on a timelier basis."
Am I correct in thinking that this is evil and wrong on a variety of levels?
sixelacat
Quick question: Is there a feminine form of "brethren"?
mouse
six, "sistren" is actually a word but it's chaucerian and pretty obscure. i'd just use "sisters".
lowredmoon
sixlecat, i found this here

"There is a word sistren, though it has a somewhat different history from its male parallel. Both words were used in Middle English (12th to 15th centuries) simply as the plural forms of brother and sister. From about 1600, brothers began to take over from brethren (Shakespeare used both), except in referring to fellow members of a religious community, or a society or profession. Even this use is now rather archaic (though groups such as the Plymouth Brethren keep it in use). Sistren, meanwhile, had fallen completely out of use by the middle of the 16th century, but has been revived (and used almost exclusively) by feminist writers."

I think I'd probably just use sisters, because sistren sounds to me a lot like cistern.
sixelacat
Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed to know!
zora
I just heard a woman on a Kitchen Aid ad pronounce puree as "pure-ee."
mouse
ew! pure-ee. it sounds too much like pee.

i am bothered by the new volvo billboards that ask "who would you give a volvo to?" i know, i know, dangling participles have entered the lexicon pretty solidly by now, and "to whom would you give a volvo?" just sounds like you've got a stick up your ass, but STILL, it irks me.
kelkello
Frisbee is my favorite word ever--it has such a pleasing combination of sounds.
raisingirl
Oh my gosh! It saddens me so very much to see this thread buried far, far away.

So I go through periods of listening to the radio, like, a lot (two words, heh). And it seems more and more when I hear a web address given out over the air, I hear back slash (two words? not sure, but it's not the point) when it should be forward slash.

THIS IRKS ME TO NO END!

This is a forward slash: /

This is a back slash: \

I mean, are people REALLY THIS STUPID?!

I've even tested out some of these web addresses that are given out over the air. EVERY SINGLE ONE I'VE TESTED SHOULD HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED AS A FUCKIN' FORWARD SLASH, not A BACK SLASH!

Idiots. wacko.gif
tesao
raisin, you are my hero for rescuing this thread!!

and it is serendipitous, as well:

does anyone know where the phrase "popping her cherry" to mean being the first to penetrate a virgin woman came from? why cherry? do cherries pop? blink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.