Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bustie's best friend: the dog and puppy thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
damona
farmgirl, that is one adorable puppy!

jenn, i'm glad that turbo is recovering from his little "adventure" ok.

spazz-dog aka dakotah aka koda is becoming slightly less spazz-ish. i've been trying to spend a little more time with him, i take him in the car now and then and stuff. but i cannot take that dog for a walk on a leash. he pulls so damn hard i'm afraid he's choking himself, not to mention my arms aren't strong enough to fight with nearly 60 pounds of dog for long!!

he took off the other day when my sister left the back gate open just a few seconds too long... that was fun. had to go chase the pooch through 5 different yards before we caught up to him.

lookie the first pic, "kimara", looks almost exactly like my dakotah (since i'm a dork and can't seem to figure out how to post pics off my phone!) the only difference is that his ears flop over a bit at the tips.
msgoofball
super cute damona!!!

i went to the animal shelter the other day to see if i found a dog that wanted me...y'know...had a connection...and this little shy pooch walked up to me and leaned on my leg...how heartbreaking is that...?
turns out he was rescued from a neglected home and needed alot of TLC (the handler was really surprised that the dog came up to me) so me and 'blackie' sat with him in my lap for like 15 min. sooo cute even with his flaky skin and crusty eyes..but he had already been spoken for..i still put in a back up just in case the first one flaked. who knows what will happen. but i think its time for some puppy love.
turbojenn
Yup, turbo is reconvering nicely...full of piss and vinegar as my mum would say, since he's upset that he's not getting long walks and can't play with his buddies. I took him back to the dog park last night for the first time, and just kept him on leash, and he was moderately happy bossing them around from the sidelines, barking happily away.

damona - have you tried using a Gentle Leader on your pup? Its a harness that goes over their muzzle, around the back of the head, and the leash attaches to it...the dogs can still bark, and pant and sniff, its just nylon cord, but it teaches them not to pull as much, since its uncomfortable for them...I know the northern breeds are of their own mind much of the time, but it might help. The Gentle Leader has tamed many of the enthusiastic labs in our neighborhood.
damona
sorry for the double post but...clickieclickie i ran across this and thought i'd post it here.

jenn, where would i find this gentle leader leash?
raskel
damona, we got our Halti (aka gentle leader) from the Drs. Foster and Smith catalog. They work wonders.
turbojenn
yup, raskel's got it....those Drs have the best stuff for our furrry friends....I adore "musher's secret" in the winter to keep salt outta turbo's paws.

Here's the site The Kind Drs.
cloverbee
I used the gently leader on Clover and she just found ways to pull. she would keep her neck really tight or something and pull anyway. I went to the pinch collar which works a little but she still pulls just not as much. It's the only really bad habit she has yet to break.
msgoofball
the animal shelter called me back yesterday...the other couple doesn't want the dog only because it turns out 'blackie' has an eye condition that will make him need $35 eyedrops once a month for the rest of his life. thats not a problem for me...but time is an issue. i paid way more for fred's meds. but upon talking it over with mom(my animal sidekick and backup feeder) and mr. gb..(who has only had our cat jake), they both agree that with my busy schedule, there's no way i could squeeze a dog into it. which in my mind makes no sense since we have a huge pen for him to roll in the grass, which is attached to a shed...and he's a senior so he would be less active...bleh..it made me teary eyed yesterday thinking about it. so it will be at least a year before i get a dog. poop...sorry about the rant.
lucizoe
((msgoofball)) I'm sorry...I've been wanting a dog lately, too, and it's driving me nuts. Furbaby lust!

I've been torturing myself lately...my favorite radio show host just lost one of her doggies and her whole show on Tuesday was people calling in and sympathizing, sharing stories of pets, etc. It made me all globby and I sat on the couch holding the cat that made me his human weeping with guilt over the fact that I had to leave my dog with my parents when I moved.

It's best for her, I know. She's all bonded with her sister (Lucy and Zoe, my two stupid lovable pound puppies) and she's in the country with a big house and yard. Here she'd be stuck in a tiny tiny trailer-in-the-sky with two cats. I just miss her so badly, and it's not like we can get on the phone and chat. She's brought me through so much and I feel like I've abandoned her or something, like I should have stayed in my small town just so she can get all the walkies and treats she wants.

Here I go again...I've been so weepy lately. I think it's all the anxiety over the move.

The Gentle Leader collars are awesome. Lucy likes to pull, too, but you put her in her "orthopedic collar," as my mom likes to call it, and after some gnashing of teeth and attempts to pull it off her nose, she'll walk right next to me, with her leash slack.

Sometime I'll post the picture of the two of us with the exact same expression on our faces.
cloverbee
wow, you guys are really making me want to go down to the shelter and rescur a puppers. I just may do that. I wonder if my landlord would let me. I know my dad would kill me. Dogs are a huge responsibility and I don't know if clover would even want a sibling. hmmm....we'll see.
pollystyrene
I've never tried a head harness type leash (the former owners of our dog warned us that he would yank right out of it!) but I tried one these and took him outside. There was a little dog out there and my dog wiggled out of this thing in about 4 seconds and play attacked the other dog...except to me and the other dog's owner, it looked like more attacked than play. It was awful, and I learned the all-important lesson of ALWAYS try out new leads/harnesses/whatever in an enclosed environment- never just out in public! My dog's been a real pain lately, and as much as I hate to do it, we may go to a prong collar. I can't take the pulling anymore.

Serves me right for taking on a "training-resistant" dog.
culturehandy
We don't even bother putting Isabel on a leash anymore. If there are kids around we do, its just that she is so friendly, and very very very nosey and curious. I took her to the park today, and the little bugger, after swimming and lunching on frogs, was trying to chase some critters through the bushes, and she got even dirtier. *sigh*
cloverbee
sounds like my clover. if there is no water around but just mud, she'll wallow in the mud like a pig until she's brown all over!! it cracks people up but really gets me pissed. I don't even bother to scold her anymore though. she's just a dog and that's what doggies do.
culturehandy
There is no point in scolding her, she has such a thick coat, that when it hits more than 12 degrees here, she just likes to cool down. Plus when she was a puppy I wanted her to se swim, gosh look at what I have created.
lucizoe
Ha! Zoe digs holes in the dirt when it's hot and sits her tummy right in them. MmmmMMMmmmMMMMmmm - cool dirt on tummy! Just like a pig, too.
ginger_kitty
This is my beautiful cattledog:
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8793/p42200322jp.jpg
karianne
ginger! our dogs look so much alike. Mine is a cattledog, but mixed with something else. Not sure what.

I will try to post a pic. Actually, I think there is a tiny one in my profile.
karianne
let's try this...

Yuki
lucizoe
awwwww, karianne...Yuki's so cute!

My baby girl

ETA- Ginger, he looks like he's being so coy. "Haroooo??"
culturehandy
I adore all those puppies!
ginger_kitty
karianne, your pup looks like he could be my pups half brother!! Yuki's extra cute!

lucizoe, your girl is gorgeous! She looks like a big bear of a dog.

PS Zeek is a super coy little guy.
karianne
Lucizoe, your dog is so adorable. She looks really friendly.

Ginger, I know! Our dogs look related. Their faces especially.

Guess what Yuki did this weekend? Mr K took her downtown to watch the marathon going on here. He said they were only there a short time before she found a huge pile of horse poop, threw herself in it and rolled around. He had to drive her home with that stink on her & put her in the bath. I'm glad I missed it! He said she seemed put out that he was washing it off.
lucizoe
oooh, big pile of manure...how could she resist? I love the smell of horse poop, but I'm one of those horse people too...

hee...if y'all click one more photo over in my link there's the picture of the two of us with the same expression on our faces

**slight drift**

I miss my puppy sooooo much. It really really sucks having to leave her behind. My best friend and all those cliched things about our dogs...too true...
sidecar
Sophie got really sick today -- diarhhea all over her crate, a fever and dehydration. Conveniently, she went to the vet today for her annual check-up, which we have to go back and do next week. But I am bummed out. For one, I hope I never find my dog so sick again (details are over in Kvetch if you're interested), but for another, Sophie, Martini (my husband) and I were going to do a 5K walk for the shelter we got her from on Saturday, and now it looks like it'll be just Martini and I. We raised $320 in pledges, which we're thrilled about (and thanks to turbo and jenn for their pledge!), but half the fun is taking your pupper with you to those things.

glad to hear turbo's feeling better.
turbojenn
Awwwwww....get better sophie! If her stool continues to be loose, sprinkle her food with a bit of water, and then scatter about 1Tb of unflavored metamucil on her food, and then add a dollop of canned pure pumpkin. You never know, Ms. Spohie could very well bounce back by saturday!

Turbo sneaked a chicken bone yesterday before I could grab it from him....he's been trying to hock it back up since 3am this morning. I just took him out and gave him some peroxide to try and get some more vomit up, but for whatever reason, he wouldn't vomit. I've never had the peroxide trick not work. Poor guy. I just wish he'd learn not to eat the chicken bones, as they are everywhere in the summer.
raskel
turbo, did you try salt? that usually works to get abbie to vomit. she's a sneaky chicken bone stealer herself, it's happened a few times. she eats all her bones. i used to get huge cow bones from the butcher and give them to her, and she would chew them apart eat them.
cloverbee
so we're at the park and Clover chases this squirrel that has a baby squirrel in it's mouth. it drops the baby and runs but Clover doesn't see the baby hiding in the grass. I wanted to see the little guy so I go over w/ her on leash thinking she won't chase a poor, helpless baby that can't even walk. We're right on top of it and she didn't see it so stupid me pointed and said "awwe, look at the widdle baby squirrely clover". bad idea. as soon as she saw that it was a squirrel she tore after the little guy and I'll be damned if it didn't bolt up a tree. probably for the first time in it's life. poor thing. it's mom was pissed too. hissing and chirping at me. I don't know what to do about clover's obsession w/ squirrels and cats. I taught her to chase them. I was a bad mom. I still let her but not when she's on leash. she can't distinguish that yet, though. it's like she goes into this trance or something. she's so focused on these squirrels. she goes nuts when she sees one. she'll run right into traffic after one. crazy dog.
hope sophie's feelin' better.
sidecar
Sophie recovered fairly quickly--it turned out to be the puppy's treat that made her sick (and not the actual puppy). Whew. She was pretty frisky by Thursday, so we ended up taking her with us to the 5K this morning. We all had so much fun! There had to be about a thousand dogs, and they all were so well-behaved. When we walked past the beach at Foster Avenue, all the dogs went crazy, including ours. We'd never taken her to a beach or let her run off-leash outside of a dog park or an enclosed yard before, but we took a leap of faith and did so today, and boy am I glad we did! I think it was the best five minutes of her life. We also raised $420 for the shelter, which thrilled me to no end as our goal was $200.

Now she is sleeping quietly next to me on the couch, and I anticipate she's gonna be there for quite some time. A 3-mile walk and a dip in the lake just wore her out.
gardnerella
I'm glad everyone's doggies are all better now.

I just moved to a new city with a HUGE dog park. It has several lakes for dogs to swim in and trails for us human folk to walk on. The only downside I notice is there's not a lot of actual doggie interacton going on. When the owners pass each other, the dogs sniff each other or ignore each other and the owners continue on their way. Pretty much the only reason I'm there is for my dog to play with other dogs. From what I've seen there is not even a place people converge and watch the dogs all play together. Oh well.

I also found a private dog park in a nearby apartment complex but I don't think it's used very much if ever. Thankfully I live near a few acres of unused fields, forest, and a large pond so I can take my dog off-leash every day. He is definitely an off-leash kind of dog. He's a really good sprinter and like to chase after the birds that fly away coming out of the tall grass. Sky and I have been exploring this patch of land in the middle of new suburbia and so far we've found: sex couches, a sex trampoline (you see the theme? oh, and both of these have spray-painted pentagrams and 666's on them *eye roll*), a burned bed frame/oil drums, and a weird large bird bath made out of stone that looks fairly new. Fortunately, I don't think these things have been used for a while now. I really had trudge through a lot of brush to get to them. And I think hardly anyone knows about this (except for the neighbor who mows the grass to make a path) so we have it all pretty much to ourselves!
cloverbee
okay, will somebody tell me what is wrong w/ me? I come home and decide to give my dog a bath outside for the first time. So I get out the hose and start to spray her but she freaks out which makes me mad and I have to chase her down. she's rebellious so she rolls over and I grab her legs to drag her back and she starts snarling and biting at me. well, this goes on for a good five minutes and I just kept getting pissed. normal people would have given up but I just got more and more aggressive w/ her. I soaped her up and she ran away again and started wallowing in the mud. that was the last straw so I grabbed her and she bit at me again so I smacked her. I am so disappointed in myself. I should have just given her a bath in my tub like usual. Now I've traumatized her and she's even more rebellious and I hate myself. I am a bad parent. maybe I should let someone else parent clover. I can't live w/ myself.
mornington
cloverbee, you're not a bad parent!

our lab had the same reaction to being bathed inside; clover probably got confused, and you could never have predicted that she would react like she did. And tbh, I would have reacted like you did. She'll come around; you're the best person to give her that attention.

*goes back to lurking*
culturehandy
Cloverbee don't you worry! Its not like you always smack her around, I am not going to lie, Isabel has got a smack on the ass from me before.
turbojenn
cloverbee - forgive yourself, and clover, for not presenting your best selves at bathtime! Turbo is also perfectly behaved in the tub, and a demon with the hose - I can't blame him, either. Cold, higher pressure wash, vs. warmish bath with shower attachment, and no one to see him get bathed....
damona
sidecar, i got up on monday morning and there was this gawdawful stench and i discovered that dakotah had had diarhhea all over his cage. it was beyond foul. what did your vet tell you to feed sophie until she was better? my vet said to give him plain yoghurt and cottage cheese for 2 days and then mix some of his regular food in with it. but she didn't want me to bring him in or anything... does this seem odd to anyone else?
culturehandy
I heard that boiled white rice works too.
turbojenn
I give turbo boiled rice and top it with some boiled ground lamb. Yogurt is good, sprinkling unflavored metamucil on the food is good too - use about a tablespoon, and turbo's favorite - a dollop of canned pure pumpkin to help solidify things...he get so excited when I get out the pumpkin and yogurt!

Dogs get diarhhea more often than you'd like, sometimes they ate something, sometimes it seems like for no reason at all. I've never taken my dogs to the vet because of it...it'll pass.
raskel
I give mine plain organic yogurt for diarrhea.

Abbie is scared of thunderstorms, so right now, I have a smelly, 84lb Golden Retriever on my lap.
ginger_kitty
Don't worry cloverbee, you aren't a bad parent. My dogs are terrified of the hose! They freak out if I even try to spray them to cool them off in the summer. Sometimes you have to discipline, you don't want clover to think it is okay to bite you. I have smacked my pups a time or two. Don't beat yourself up.
culturehandy
Isabel, unusually hates water, unless it is slimy, scummy, scuzzy and not from a hose or faucet. I recall one time we had to get her in the bathroom to rinse her off, and she put all four of her paws on the door jamb, and we couldn't get in her! This is also when she was a wee small thing of a mere 30 pounds. Again, you aren't a bad parent! You love her, and scratch her and hug her, give her a warm place to sleep and feed her, you provide her with a home, sounds good to me, and so doesn't make you a bad parent! Feel better.

Awww I love it when big dogs get scared and come to us for comfort! Isabel goes a little nutsie during thunderstorms and likes to look at the sky.
cloverbee
thanks busties for making me feel better about my parenting skills. my roomie says I need to go to anger counseling. the funny thing is, I am in charge of an anger management group! I tried to make it up to clover by letting her sleep w/ me last night and cuddling her and I even let her kiss me on the mouth!
karianne
((cloverbee)) I am glad you are feeling better about things. I agree with what everyone else has said, you're a good doggie parent.

Yuki got in a tiff with a beagle last night. Ugh. We were jogging by, this beagle somehow broke loose off it's lead & came at us. The tumbled for about a minute, finally the owner came out & got his dog. The dogs didn't get hurt, but I did cut the shit out of my finger bc/ I had my keys in the hand with the leash. Prior to that, Yuki killed a woodchuck. It was probably the best day of her life, but I was not that happy with her last night.

My dilemma is this: she doesn't get on with other dogs. She is usually not aggressive towards them first, but if they so much as growl, she takes it as an invitation to fight. Mr K's family is having their family reunion out in the country in Virgina in June. Everyone brings their dogs, it's great bc/ they can run free through fields & rivers. We want to bring Yuki but I'm really afraid she'll get in fights. One of the dogs there is really territorial & I know she'll try to start something with my dog, who will be happy to oblige. What do you all think? Is it irresponsible of us to take our dog?
lucizoe
clover, your roomie is full of it

I've lost my patience with Lucy many times...she knows when she's being a little shit, though, so I don't worry about her holding a grudge. Not her style.

I anthropomorphize waaaay too much.

Ha, karianne. Zoe took down a baby woodchuck last summer. You would have thought she had singlehandedly saved the world the way she was prancing around that week.
cloverbee
bwahaha your dogs killed a woodchuck?? how funny.
karianne, I would bring my dog anyway. But I would probably warn Mr. K's fam that if another dog starts something.....that way they know that Yuki didn't start it if something is to happen. But I would definitely take her anyway. It's not her fault other dogs start s&$%# w/ her!
Clover had some bad nightmares last night. she was wimpering in her sleep and shaking. I can only imagine she was dreaming about her mommy hitting her. it broke my heart. yeah, I anthromorphize way to much too.
raskel
Abbie wimpers in her sleep and her legs shake, and sometimes her legs will break into a running motion. Chances are, Clover was dreaming about catching herself a woodchuck!! I doubt it was a nightmare, or my poor pups have them all the time.
turbojenn
kari - I also vote for bringing Yuki the Woodchuck Slayer to the reunion - if nothing else, its a great opportunity to socialize her to other dogs, since they are your family, hopefully they'll be open to that. You could also get Yuki a muzzle, if you're concerned...the only problem with muzzles is that it leaves your dog defenseless should another dog go after her, but it is a safety option, and it is not cruel. Drs. Foster and Smith for sure would have them.
karianne
Clover, that sounds like something I would do. I am sure clover was dreaming about huntin' critters and not about the smack.

Thanks for your advice on the reunion. I think we will probably end up bringing her. I am a scaredy cat, Mr K is not. He thinks they might get in an initial tiff and then leave each other alone. I am not so sure.

Who was the other person on here who has a cattle dog? I can't remember. Do you find that your cattle dog doesn't get on with other dogs?
cloverbee
turbo, I have a muzzle for clover that i use when i want to clip her nails, clean her ears etc. it's great for that but if she gets excited she has trouble breathing b/c she can't open her mouth. i get afraid she'll pass out.
"yuki the woodchuck slayer", ha ha ha!
culturehandy
Kari I agree take the pooch. Emily, out border collie doesn't get along with many other dogs, expect Isabel, she bears her teeth and all that stuff. Isabel also comes to her rescue, its so funny, she'sll come barreling out of no where to get a dog who she thinks is being aggressive with her.

Isabel hasn't killed a woodchuck, but she does like chasing birds. wwhich are flying. In the sky. She also dreams too, its so darned cute, because then her paws start to twitch, and so do the muscles in her legs. Probably trying to catch flying birds.
ginger_kitty
We always say are hound is chasing rabbits when he dreams. His legs and eyes twitch, and sometimes he growls softly.

kairanne, I have a cattledog. He is a huge snob. He just blatantly ignores other dogs at the dog park and whatever. He plays at home w/my other 2 dogs, but that is about it. He acts sometimes like other dogs don't even exist.
cloverbee
I kind-of wish clover were a little more aggressive. if a dog even shows the slightest amount of aggression she goes and runs between my legs to hide. i'm totally sure she would get her ass kicked in any fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.