Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bustie's best friend: the dog and puppy thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
culturehandy
Hey all, thanks for the hugs. The ex wants to share isabel. I am proceding with extreme caution, but if I do, I want my lawyer to write up a contract. My ex (that useless pile of skin), finally came to his senses and realizes that Isabel misses me, what a toss pot. I'll keep you informed.
cloverbee
oh, get her back culture!! she needs her mommy!! ~~~I'm sending my good vibes over to you now~~~~
Good Luck!
lucizoe
poor baby! culture, I hope it works out...I'm sorry that you got separated from her

(actually, what I really hope is that your ex is conveniently struck by lightning just as he's walking past your place with Isabel, who will then run home to mommy and you will be happy together forever and ever. yes, sometimes I wish life was more like a disney movie. and that wish goes on my karma, not yours, so no worries :-))

good luck!! many doggie vibes your way!
ginger_kitty
Karma will probably take take of him, one way or another.

It's good to hear you will still be able to see her, culture. You can use all the vibes you can get so I'm sending some your way.....
pollystyrene
((yay for potential doggie visitation)) Hope it works out!

So I was walking my dog tonight and he's really bad about pulling, usually, but tonight he was just trotting ahead of me, but not at the end of his leash (he has one of those retractable ones). All of a sudden, he let out a couple of yelps- I'm not sure what happened, but ever since then he's sort of loping. I've looked at his paws, poked, prodded and squeezed all over his legs, paws and chest. I didn't see or feel anything unusual and he didn't react in any pain or anything. But he's still walking weird. Maybe it's just when he puts weight on it?

Any ideas?
cloverbee
he may have been bitten by a bee or something. or maybe he has a hole in his foot that you can't see yet. I know it sounds wierd but my dog got a hole straight thru her foot and I didn't know about it until it got really swollen and infected. there is a thing called a grass awn that can go thru their foot and cause some pain. otherwise, he may have stepped wrong and twisted his ankle or something. I would monitor him for a couple of days and see if it gets better. if not, I would take him in to the vet.
gardnerella
Sky just rolled over something vile while I was out walking him. I wasn't even aware until I grabbed his leash along with a few smears of poop or a dead animal or god knows what. It smells so awful. I haven't been able to bring myself to give him a bath yet. *vomit icon*
cloverbee
oh no! last time I had one of those incidents Clover brought me a huge, dead rat to 'play fetch' with. yum! it's easier if your dog likes to swim so you can just throw them in the river and call it good. i'm feelin' for you right now.
ginger_kitty
Man, why do dogs like to roll in ansty stuff?

My cattle dog thinks green olives are gross so if I drop one he rolls on it.
gardnerella
He'll roll on an olive - that's funny.

I was walking my dog just now and he was a little wild and kept jumping up at me. I only saw him out of the corner of my eye but I think he fell on his butt. He yipped and then kept trying to lick his butt and then he acted like he was pooping but I'm not sure if he did. When I got home I checked his anus and it was a teeny bit bloody. What happened?

I'm going to the vet in a week, should I go sooner? I'll keep an eye out for him until we go. I think he'll be okay but I'm not sure exactly what happened.
pollystyrene
Wow, that's kinda weird, gardnerella. No idea what could have happened.

My dog has stopped limping, so I think he's okay. He yelped again on Wednesday morning when I was walking him, but then he wasn't limping afterwards.
ginger_kitty
How is your pup gardnerella? Did you find out what happened?
gardnerella
I haven't gone to the vet yet. I think Sky is okay. He doesn't seem to have any problems (I haven't noticed anymore bleeding or excessive licking) but I'll be sure to mention it when I go.
ginger_kitty
My little dog woke me up this morning sniffing my arm. And I tried to push her away but I couldn't find her exactly. I started to go back to sleep but she kept nosing at my arm. I started wondering my I couldn't feel her furry little muzzle so I sat up. Turns out I had a tear in my quilt, that I had been needing to mend, that she weaseled into and got lost in between the layers. It was so sad, she was all hot and panicky. But after I got her out I giggled about the whole ordeal.
karianne
Ginger, that is too funny. When I was growing up we had a dachshund that would manage to get herself stuck in things...the arm of a sweatshirt for instance. She looked like a little seal with her ears all pulled back.

Gardnerella, I am glad your pooch seems to be ok.

Yuki is really becoming a cold blooded killer...she killed two birds this week. One was injured, but I have no idea how she caught the second one.
raskel
My sisters dog caught 2 birds last week, too. She snatched both of them out of midair in the back yard.
lot49
Snatched them out of the air! raskel, what kind of dog does your sister have?

culture, are you there? How are things going?

Otis was just sleepwagging. I heart him.
karianne
well, that makes me feel better raskel. I don't feel like my dog is such a killa.
raskel
My sisters dog is a Golden Retriever/Collie mix.
mrj
Wow I did not even know this thread was here. I have really enjoyed reading your posts. We have three dogs in our house. My son has a Jack Russell, a big learning experience for me, they are so hyper. My daughter has a daschund, she started out as mine but I guess my daughter feeding her scraps under the table changes things. Then my baby is an English bulldog, her name is Chevelle, and she is just that a big baby.
I have bipolar II and OCD but I tell you right not my dog helps me alot with the depression. She is wonderful when I am down. I just wanted to say hello and I really like this thread. My dog is part of me and alot of people do not understand that.
turbojenn
awww....mrj, your furbabies sound sweet. They are amazing companions, aren't they?

Turbo's gone into summer sloth mode now. In the heat, I can barely get him to go 3 blocks in the evening, poor baby. The greyhounds just do not handle the heat well. But we stopped by our pug friends' house on our walk home tonight, and they have cats too - that was *the most* exciting thing to happen to turbo in a very long time. There is *nothing* more exciting to him than a staring contest with a cat. Its pretty hilarious. He'll never hurt them, but he's so very curious, and just stares and stares, not moving an inch, ears erect.
karianne
Welcome, mrj! I agree, dogs (well, all pets really) can provide so much comfort. I love the name Chevelle!

Jenn, that is so funny. Turbo & the cat have a staring showdown. Yuki's been so hot lately too, she's getting her summer shave today.
turbojenn
Uh, I just volunteered to dogsit our neighbor's two greyhounds for a week, starting sunday...I'm not sure what I was thinking. I think I'd best stock up on rescue remedy and nature's miracle on my way home tonight - we live on the lake, so there will be many many fireworks in the next week, and all three hounds are terrified of them. Should be fun! But having 3 greyhounds around for awhile satisfied my desire to have multiple hounds, and makes me very glad that I only have one when they go home. :-) I'll keep ya'll posted on how it goes....
mrj
Thank you all for the welcome, it is nice to see others enjoy their pets as I do. We also have three pigs that are part of our family. My son's Jack Russel, Jack, loves the pigs. It is very funny to see this little puppy out there in the pin with the pigs. It is like they have formed a bond and that is where he spends alot of time. Chevelle loves one of the pigs. Chevelle is of course to big to get inside the pin but she will stand and rub noses with her.

My daughters dog, Cricket, is a mouse hunter. Yuck! but it is like she wants a prize for everyone she brings to us. We live out in the country on 20 acres so you all can imagine how many she brings in. There was one day she brought us a gopher and a rat, she was so proud but really it was discusting. I try to praise her so when she is inside she will catch a mouse if we have one but it is hard not to gag.

Chevelle is a ball player and not a mouse hunter thank goodness, because she tends to bring her prized possessions to bed with her and that is in my room. She loves the water and that tends to be a big problem since she cannot swim so I have to keep her away from the pond. She is so spoiled though she gets in the bathtub and barks till someone turns on the water. She will play in the sprinkler with the kids to. She loves baths and will literally lay in the water so she does not have to get out. She is my baby and I don't know what I would do without her.

Hey, turbo I understand you sloth chevelle is the same way but her problem is to much extra skin makes it too hot. I have noticed lately that she does not go to far from the house in the day. Too hot. Try to stay cool!!
ginger_kitty
My hound has allergies. Does anyone else have a dog with allergies? The vet suggested Benadryl a few years back and that worked at first, but this year his symptoms are worse and it's not working so well. I don't want to give him a prescription with steriods, any advice?
lot49
ginger, Otis used to have moderately-bad allergies (itchy, irritated skin and eyes, chewed on him self a lot, etc). He doesn't suffer so much any more -- I don't have a miracle cure, I think he just grew out of them a bit.

But if benadryl worked for your hound for a while, then a prescription antihistimine might do the trick. Our vet prescribed hydroxyzine pamoate, which worked pretty well (about 80%).
sidecar
ah, turbo, I feel your sloth pain. Sophie is half rottie, and rotties do not like the heat. I'll take her for a typical (about five-six city blocks) walk when it's not even humid yet, and the second we get home, she's on the floor, tongue lolling to the side. I'm hoping the dog beach will help this summer -- she can get some exercise without getting too hot.

mrj, I got my dog while I was dealing with depression related to my brother's unexpected death, and it was the best thing I could have done. It helped me more than my grief counseling or anything else.
mrj
ginger kitty,
my parents had a dog 4 or 5 years ago and she had severe allergies. Like you the vet suggested benadryl and that worked for a while but then it got to where it did not work. We finally started giving her a bath every other day and then seen another vet. The other vet suggested putting the liquid benadryl in her water and that helped a lot.

Hope everyone is staying cool. We have been out in the sprinklers and staying inside.

sidecar I know even on my bad days now my chevelle is the best medicine for me.
pollystyrene
I think my dog might have allergies- he's not itchy or anything, but he snorts and sneezes a lot and he's got runny eyes (they don't look infected or anything, though.) Does that sound like allergies?
ginger_kitty
mrj, hmmm.. I might try the liquid benadryl. If that doesn't work I'll probably talk to the vet about hydroxyzine pamoate, lot.
gomersalgirl
It's okay if you put your dog on a decreasing dose of prednisone every once in a while. It's the most effective way to manage their allergies. If they are chronic, you may want to consider allery testing to find out what exactly they react to. Once you know you can get custom made allergy shots.
pollystyrene
My dog is cracking me up. I'm making him sit by me, on the floor (it's 1:00am and my bf is sleeping, so I don't want him getting into stuff and have to yell at him.) He's getting all antsy, so I told him to go in his kennel, which is behind the couch. He goes running over there, but I forgot that the door just swings shut by itself, so he comes back and stares at me and I said "get in you kennel!" and he barked! He's a Basenji and they're not supposed to be able to bark, but sometimes they can force one out. Then I realized he couldn't get in, but it's so funny to hear him bark, that I said, "get in your kennel!" again and he barked again. I said told him to do it again and he went into crazy dog mode and did about 3 laps at nearly top speed around the living room and dining room. Then I felt bad and let him sit next to me again. He so crazy!
cloverbee
awwwwe, polly, he was trying to communicate with you! how sweet is that??!! poor thing probly thought his mommy was losing it ;)
pollystyrene
I think so- it's happened with my boyfriend, too and he just looks at us like, "I can't get in you idiots!!"
turbojenn
Awww....I didn't realize you had a Basenji - they are so darned smart! There's one in our neighborhood that has a rivalry with turbo - always trying to trick him into stealing his toy, and then at the last moment runs away with it, and turbo's left standing there wondering what happened....
cloverbee
now I want to see this dog, polly. do you have a pic?? I don't know what a Basenji looks like.
pollystyrene
I have a couple of pictures of him on my My Space page.

They're very strange dogs. I love him, but we've decided that basenji means "dog who doesn't bark, but finds ways to be annoying anyway." He's quite a handful!

ETA: I realized that you have to register with My Space to look at my pictures- in case you don't want to do that (I understand, I was very hesitant in even starting the page) I put up a website for the pictures here.
pollystyrene
Crap, I just realized we already had a site for the dog (called "The Dog" at the top)- my bf must have done that. Oh well, mine's better!
pollystyrene
Dammit, this is the second double post I've had today- I haven't had one in months!
lucizoe
Ha, doggy websites. Lurve it.

Major complaint. One of my clients (whose three dogs all match her hair - you know, living accessories!) reprimanded me for giving one of her dogs water after his walk, because he peed in his (too small for his body) crate. Um, lady? It's like, 95 fucking degrees in nyc. If your puppy is so ill-trained as to be unable to hold his urine until you get home, that is so NOT my problem. Making sure I leave your dogs in a healthy state, which includes watering before and after half an hour moving in the heat, is my problem and my job and if you take issue with how I do it, do complain to my boss. Seriously. I'd love to hear that conversation. "Your walker gave my dog a drink after his walk!" "Yes. And?"

Fucking idiot.
lot49
luci - oh, I would be seeing red if I were you. It sounds like this woman probably doesn't give her dog water unless it's convenient.

polly - so cuuuuuuute! Really, he is just adorable!

Mrlot, Otis and I went on a hike over the weekend that included climbing up some boulders. Otis is pretty good at scampering up rocks, but at one point, the mr. got up on one that Otis couldn't climb, and he just stood at the bottom barking at the rock out of frustration. So funny!
turbojenn
polly....Montana is sooooo cute. And I love the christmas doggie piccies - so hilarious!

luci - your client is an ass....c'mon, hydrating your dog is SO important, especially in the summer heat. She shouldn't have dogs. period.
ginger_kitty
Polly, your pup is super adorable!

Luci, that lady doesn't deserve to have dogs. She sounds like the type, that uses thier dogs as status symbols instead of just being an animal lover.
cloverbee
polly, very cute!! thank you!
karianne
Cute Basenji! He looks like a sweetheart. A friend of mine has one, and yeah, she doesn't bark necessarily, but she makes sure we know she's there!

Do any of you remember how I was debating on taking my dog with us on a trip to the country? I was hesitant bc/ there were going to be lots of other dogs there & my dog does not play well with others. Well, we got back Sunday. Yuki did so-so. Three doggie spats/fights in all. The first was expected. One of the dogs (the dog who's territory it is) was freaking out right when we got there, she & Yuki got into it. After that though, things were cool for about a day and a half. Yuki got on with 4 other dogs. Yay! However, Saturday LOTS of other people got there with 2 more dogs & a ton of misbehaved kids. That didn't go well. I think Yuki was tired and a bit overwhelmed. I couldn't blame her really, I was feeling similar. Also, the last fight that happened was a three-way. There were fireworks going on & all the dogs were freaked out.

Anyhow. Another event of note was when we took her on a hike up this giant mountain. When we were this.close to the top, she ran off chasing a deer. Mr K & I couldn't find here anywhere, we searched as much as we could, finally giving up & hoping she'd find her way home. We were pretty worried as we'd been hiking about an hour before she ran off. Well, when we got back to the cabins, she'd been there for about 30 minutes just waiting for us. Good dog!
cloverbee
yay karianne!! smart dog!
ginger_kitty
My cattledog hates skateboards and bikes and all that. Anyway, when I was walking him the other day this skater kid was passing me on the side walk. I tried to move my dogs over but, the guy came over to apoligize about me having to struggle with the dogs. And my cattledog bite the poor guys board. He was cool about it but I felt bad. Does anybody else's dog do that?
lot49
Otis gets really excited when he sees people doing things that are "different" -- bikes, skateboards, jet skis, scooters. He pulls at the leash, but he's never bit anyone's equipment. But he does ometimes get really curious about strollers, which is not amusing -- most parents don't want to see a 100lb dog straining on their leash to get at their baby. sigh.

Mrlot and I were dancing around in our kitchen earlier today. Otis got very excited about this, but couldn't find a proper way to participate. So he picked up one of my sandals in his mouth, spun around and flung it across the room. We almost peed ourselves laughing. He just wants to join in.
karianne
OMG, lot that is so funny! I bet you guys were dying laughing.

ginger kitty-my cattledog loses her mind when she sees people on bikes, skateboards, or motorcycles. We've been trying to break her of it, but it is slow going. Like lot, I just feel bad for the people, it seems like my dog wants to rip their heads off. She doesn't really though, she just wants to chase them. Did you see that Dog Whisperer episode about the bulldog who was obsessed with skateboards? He would bite them too.
Buster_Love
QUOTE(lucizoe @ Jul 5 2006, 05:19 PM) *

Ha, doggy websites. Lurve it. <BR> <BR>Major complaint. One of my clients (whose three dogs all match her hair - you know, living accessories!) reprimanded me for giving one of her dogs water after his walk, because he peed in his (too small for his body) crate. Um, lady? It's like, 95 fucking degrees in nyc. If your puppy is so ill-trained as to be unable to hold his urine until you get home, that is so NOT my problem. Making sure I leave your dogs in a healthy state, which includes watering before and after half an hour moving in the heat, is my problem and my job and if you take issue with how I do it, do complain to my boss. Seriously. I'd love to hear that conversation. "Your walker gave my dog a drink after his walk!" "Yes. And?" <BR> <BR>Fucking idiot. <BR>

When I was a kid, my family had a black female Labrador-Cocker spaniel mix, and my mother used to do the same thing to her. She'd meter out water so the dog wouldn't pee when she'd get excited about someone visiting or returning home. (I don't know if the dog would urinate with sufficient water or not.) I didn't know about this until my Grandpa told me later, and it made me angry, and it made me feel sorry for the dog. I now have a brown female Dachshund who gets plenty of water, but is trained well enough to avoid such accidents.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.