Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bustie's best friend: the dog and puppy thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
ginger_kitty
Pallas, cattledogs are my favorite breed, too! They are so loyal. I think ours is a purebreed Australian Cattle dog. I forget which breeds go into them...kelpie, dingo, a couple of different collies and dalmation to get the blue spots...I think.....

I am so jealous of all you. I own a house and it's only like 1100 or 1200 square feet! You all have giant apartments! But it's just my hubby, the pups, and me so there is plenty of room.
GiGi21
Turns our my cousins are getting ready of their chichuahua (sp?) So I think we will just inherit her. I hope she'll do ok with our cat.
lucizoe
Gah! All you people and your huge living spaces! Damn you!! *shakes fist at sky*

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to go stand in the bathroom in order to get some alone time.

*stomps off grumpily*

*stomps back*

good luck with the chihuahua! why are your cousins letting go of her?
cstars124
I wanted to stop in here and tell everyone because I'm sooo excited!

I am the proud new owner of a 3 month old Cairn Terrier! He's adorable, and about 3 lbs at the moment. I am sooo in love at the moment, it's insane. He makes heart just completely melt. I tried to post a picture of him and it wasn't working, so I'll have to try when I get home.

But i have a question for everyone. We bought him at a pet store, due to the lack of smaller dogs at the pound sad.gif. But, he hasn't barked at all since we've gotten him (a few days ago), and he has a little bit of a cough. But he coughs only when he first wakes up. I'm thinking it may be kennel cough and we're taking him to the vet on Friday. But is it possible it's some sort of nervous cough? Cause my roommates and I noticed that he only coughs if your hand is not near him, touching him while he's asleep. Other than that, he seems to be a healthy baby. He doesn't cough when he runs and plays, and he's very active, and he's eating. Any ideas what it could be?
ratgrl
QUOTE(cstars124 @ Aug 15 2006, 03:32 PM) *

I am the proud new owner of a 3 month old Cairn Terrier! He's adorable, and about 3 lbs at the moment. I am sooo in love at the moment, it's insane. He makes heart just completely melt. I tried to post a picture of him and it wasn't working, so I'll have to try when I get home.

But i have a question for everyone. We bought him at a pet store, due to the lack of smaller dogs at the pound sad.gif. But, he hasn't barked at all since we've gotten him (a few days ago), and he has a little bit of a cough. But he coughs only when he first wakes up. I'm thinking it may be kennel cough and we're taking him to the vet on Friday. But is it possible it's some sort of nervous cough? Cause my roommates and I noticed that he only coughs if your hand is not near him, touching him while he's asleep. Other than that, he seems to be a healthy baby. He doesn't cough when he runs and plays, and he's very active, and he's eating. Any ideas what it could be?

QUOTE(cstars124 @ Aug 15 2006, 03:32 PM) *

ratgrl
cstars, congrats on your new baby! I've always wondered what it's like to own a Cairn, because supposedly Westies (the kind of dog I have) are the white version of a Cairn. He only weighs 3 pounds--wow! But he sounds pretty healthy, other than the cough you mentioned. I'm not sure what that might signify; it's good you're getting him checked out at the vet, so if it is something, it can be treated pronto. BTW, what did you name him?

Gigi--I think a Chihuahua will make a great apartment dog! They're so little and so cute. And it's cool that you're giving a home to a dog that needs one.

Funny story: A guy in the house across the street from ours has a Chihuahua. One day, I was walking Brut (our 26-pound Westie) by their house. The Chihuahua was being let out just then, and he stood at the end of the driveway and started barking at us. And Brut got scared of this tiny dog that probably weighed all of 5 pounds--he started pulling on his leash and just wanted to get away from there. I think Chihuahuas believe themselves to be big and ferocious--LOL.
cstars124
Thanks! My new puppy's name is Shamus. :-D
ginger_kitty
cstars, could be kennel cough? He probably came from a puppy farm, and they are notorious for things like that. Get the little cutie checked out!

Gigi a Chihuahua will make the perfect apartment dog! Good luck.
humanist77
I just have to say..that I'm a (partial) convert. I still consider myself a cat person, but there are some dogs who I like now. One of which is my sister's dog, because he's cute and he's almost always quiet and he doesn't stink too much. The other I just met last night, my bf's-roommate's-bf's dog, an ENORMOUS german shepard (over 100 lbs). This dog is about 4 feet tall and at least 5 1/2 ft long. He was almost 6'6" on his hind legs. I've never seen a german shepard so huge. I've seen great danes and Irish wolfhounds comparable in size. But he was one of the most well-behaved dogs ever-he didn't make a sound the whole night, and he was so good when he let me take him on a walk. He didn't tug on the leash or bother anyone who walked by-I almost thought he didn't need a leash! Even my bf likes him, and he's always been nervous around big dogs. Roommate's bf raises wolves and coyotes for a living, so he's had a lot of experience with canines. He's had the german shepard since he was 6 weeks old.

I especially enjoyed walking him at night down busy streets in Chicago, knowing NO ONE would fuck with me. Most likely, he would not rip anyone's face off, but only I need to know that. The dog will be here for the next couple weeks, until they move out, but they are going out of town next weekend and are probably going to let us watch him for a few days, so I'm excited. I kinda want one now! The cats are completely freaked out and will only emerge when the dog is in the roommate's bedroom. They'll recover..
turbojenn
awwwww....humanist's coming over to the puppy side! Wahoo! Have fun watching your friends' shepard! I love the big dog factor when walking dogs at night - currently we have 3 greyhounds at home, and walking three - *no one* will mess with me either!

cstars! congratulations on adding a pupper to your family! Show us some piccies! Pleeeease! We need puppy cuteness!

Oh, and don't worry about the non-barking...once he starts barking in a few days or weeks, when he feels more settled - you'll wish for this quiet time back!

Oh, and BTW - Turbo is more afraid of the little snack-sized dogs than any large breed - the toy breeds can be fierce, and certainly like to tell you they're tough with all the barking!
cstars124
Not the best picture ever...I wish work wouldn't block photo sharing websites!! BAH!

But my avatar is a little picture of my baby sleeping...he's so cute. :-D

I promise I'll post bigger picutures once I can.

And humanist, I totally love cats too. I don't discriminate...I love all animals!
lucizoe
Oh my god, cstars...I wanna snorgle him hardcore!! I hope his wee cough gets better soon. Do you have any other animals in the house?

and humanist, that dog sounds huge and fabulous. And...mwah ha ha ha ha!! come to the dog side!! (I'm just kidding...I'm an all-animals woman as well, but doggies and I have a special bond. They know a sucker when they see one, in other words).

I saw what looked like a St.Bernard/Newfie cross laying across the entire stoop of someone's building the other day. Ginormous animal.

I love when big dogs don't realize how big they are and try to sit on laps. I know, I know, it's probably indicative of bad training and all that, but it's still funny. There was a series of pictures on cuteoverload a while ago which featured a huge dog settling in around a mid-sized baby (I am hopeless with the ages/physical development correlation of infants. It was a mid-size). It was so adorable. Possibly dangerous, sure, but the pictures were already taken at that point, and it was uber-cute.

*big dog love*

*misses her puppy something fierce...my mom says she thinks my dog is developing arthritis (she's about 10-11). I know that doesn't mean she's dying or anything, but she's getting old and I'm not going to be with her when she dies, unless I get advanced notice, which I don't want, since I want her to die in her sleep...now I'm upset. Shit. Sorry to be captain bringdown.*

turbojenn
OK, NOW, I can see the cutie-wootie wittle puppy!! I just had to clear my browser cache...so crazy cute!

Speaking of grande lap dogs, one of our guest greyhounds has this habit of backing his tush up to you on the couch, and then he'll scoot up so that his ass is on the couch, but his front legs are still standing - its so funny! The dog is really not the brightest, but he is so goofy and sweet, he's really my favorite...except for his squealy barking at 5am to tell me how happy he is that the sun is rising...ay yai yai.....

pssst....luci - have your mom give her dog some of the glucosamin chondritin powder on the dogs food...I can't think of what the brand is that my mom uses for her arthritis, but I know she gave it to our old retreiver in her golden years, and it really helped her alot. I'll ask my mom what it is next time I talk to her...
cstars124
Luci, no other animals in the house. I live in an apartment and we're only allowed one animal, and if it was a dog, it had to be less then 40 lbs, so we needed a little one.

I live in another state at the moment and only see my puppy on the weekends. He stays with my roommates during the week and they said his cough sounds a little better, but he still has it. He's only coughing in the morning though. My poor babe. He has a vet appointment on Friday, so hopefully we'll be able to tell what's going on.

I'm sorry if I'm one of those people that talk non-stop about their dog, but I can't help it. I've always loved my family and friend's animals as if they were my own, but now that I have an animal all of my own, I feel like it's my child. Seriously, I have spending money left over from my paycheck and I was thinking about all the things I could buy for myself, but quickly pushed those thoughts aside and thought about what I could buy for the pup. I'm gonna be SUCH an annoying dog owner. I was contemplating buying this little puppy stroller thing that I saw online, but figured that would be going a TAD bit overboard. :-p
lucizoe
Don't get the puppy stroller. The other dogs will beat him up! wink.gif Although, I did see a woman the other day wearing one of those strapped-to-my-chest baby carriers, but for a dog. I can't imagine that the dog was happy about that. I'm going to have get a small one too...I want a schipperke mix of some kind, but I figure I'll just wait and see who I wind up connecting with. Probably black fur, though. I dunno what it is, but I love black dogs...plus then it'll match one of the cats. And that's important. Color coordination rolleyes.gif

Come next summer I plan to monopolize this thread with tales of Grendel the wonderdog (that's right - I already have a name picked out for my nonexistent dog. I am a freak), so don't feel bad.

thanks turbo - I'll pass it on
turbojenn
WORD, luci - no strollers...no dog carrying devices if you can help it too - that just reinforces the dog to be dependant and too tightly bonded to you, and makes the way for separation anxiety...and they don't learn socialization with other dogs as well...which is so important to start teaching them when they're young.
ginger_kitty
I agree no strollers! However, the day when I was at the park, this lady had an elderly dalmation in stroller and it was really freaking sweet. She was walking two other dalmations, and didn't want her old girl to be left out.

Luci-my husband has already picked out names for our next dogs, too. But I don't want to think about that, I love the dogs we have now to much!
pollystyrene
yes, I can tell you what those carriers do to a dog, basically treating your dog as an accessory- my aunt and uncle have a maltese- one of those little white fluffy dogs (my dog thinks they're snacks!)- and he is basically their child, in a very sick way. If it were a kid and they were treating him this way, the kid would have an adulthood of therapy to look forward to. They rarely put the dog down, they baby-talk to him, they are completely inconsistent with discipline and don't have any concept of being the alpha dog. They lay on the ground and let the dog lay on them (this makes the dog think he's dominant over them- big no-no!) The dog will snap at people and they'll say, "Bad dog!", then give him a treat four seconds later. It's awful. All the dog does is bark and snap at other people. He's scared of everyone but them, and they bring him EVERYWHERE with them- people's houses, restaurants, stores....my aunt owns a jewelry shop and she keeps him at work. Her sister-in-law works there too, and the dog drives her nuts because it's always barking when customers come in and snaps at customers.

I swear, we need to do a doggie intervention with them!

ETA: Ginger, there are exceptions to the rule like that, when the dog is old. That makes sense. The dog-as-accessory thing reminds me of Paris Hilton, and how her pet kinkajou bit her earlier this week- that makes me laugh. She should be banned from being responsible for any living animal!
cstars124
yea...the stroller idea was a bit overboard, I agree. Luckily, I'm not soooo obsessed with my dog that I need to treat it like a child...yet, anyway.

But, I do have some nice pictures for everyone! And then I promise, I'll shut up about him. I'm just soooo excited I have him. :-D

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/cst...24/Image001.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/cst...24/Image002.jpg
faerietails
Okay, I don't know exactly where this post fits, so I figured this was my best bet. I want to walk some dogs on the side to make a little extra cash, but I have no idea what's a reasonable fee to charge (I'm in Yonkers). I don't want to over- or undershoot. Also, someone recently asked me about overnight stays for dogs. Any input/suggestions?

Babysitters in this area make around 10-15 bucks and hour, but I have no idea about the going rate for petsitting! huh.gif
turbojenn
faerie - I would bet NYC dog walkers charge more than chicago walkers, but I pay $10 per day, though our walker charges $12 per day for non-rescue dogs...I like that he gives a price break to folks who rescue. I know other folks in the neighborhood who spend $13 per day. Overnight dogstays go from $25-40 here.

Good luck!! - Just be sure to put away a good chunk o' change for taxes!
lucizoe
faerietails, I worked for a company that charged $15/half hour and $25/hour, extra for multiple dogs. I always figured that if I were to do it independently I'd probably charge between $10-12 and $20. As for the overnight stays, I think they charged about $55 a night. I think the independent walkers charge less, but with the company the client is (supposedly) paying for a guarantee that even if their regular walker got sick, or whatever, then they'd still get a walk.

Of course, when I got ill I still had to walk, because they didn't have copies of the keys at the office. They were teh stoopid.

Good luck!
mornington
*delurks*

puppy... so... cute... cstars, i'm jealous.

I don't know if I could rename a rescue, but if I can... Captain Indigo. I like it. I'm calling the rescue place tomorrow...

*goes back to lurking*
pollystyrene
Did anyone listen to last week's This American Life? The theme was people and animals who keep coming back. The opening story is about one of the show's producers whose family had a basenji when he was a kid. I laughed through the whole thing- yeah, that's my dog. These people were dumb not to kennel the dog (and hence had their house destroyed) and to not keep him leashed outside, but it was so funny (and a little sad.)

If you go to the website, it's the second story listed ("Last Week"), and it's told first in the show, so you don't have to listen to the whole thing. If you wait too long, the show will go into archives, but you can search for it- it's called "The Cat Came Back".
turbojenn
Haha - yes polly, I heard it, and as soon as the family said they wanted a dog that wouldn't bark...I knew they were going to choose a basenji! And indeed, I thought of you! And I have heard my friends' basenji make some unholy sounds when unhappy...they are such intelligent, willful dogs....I don't think I would have the fortitude to keep a basenji happy!
GiGi21
Bad news- the chichuahua fell through- they're keeping her- I guess that's good news- so the search still continues- it sucks cause all the shelters around here have large dogs...

What's a basenji?

Cstars- your puppy is adorable- what a lover!
ginger_kitty
Gigi, you'll find the right dog, eventually.

I was just at the dog park and there was a total control freak owner there. The guy made his pup sit before he would let her the gate. Then told her like 50 times to go play. When she did go play he told her get away from the other dogs. He freaked out when some lady, took off w/ out picking up her poo. That sucks at a self moderated park. But I am not going to chase anybody down. He wanted me to go after her. Later he was barking training orders at her. Serious nazi, dog owner. The dog park is for letting loose and playing. He just irritated the piss out of me.

Other than that, great trip to the park! It started raining but me and pups decided just to stay and play in the rain. It was tons of fun!
kcrile
QUOTE(cstars124 @ Aug 17 2006, 08:41 PM) *

yea...the stroller idea was a bit overboard, I agree. Luckily, I'm not soooo obsessed with my dog that I need to treat it like a child...yet, anyway.

But, I do have some nice pictures for everyone! And then I promise, I'll shut up about him. I'm just soooo excited I have him. :-D

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/cst...24/Image001.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/cst...24/Image002.jpg

So cute!!! What kind of dog is he?

I live in a small apartment in NYC with a cat and a fiancee who feels adamently that it is wrong to keep a dog in an apartment. So I kind of obssess over dogs on the street, pictures of other peoples dogs, petfinder.com, or threads in the Bust forum dedicated to doggies. So occasionally I will pop up and make annoying baby talk about how cute someone else's dog is, but for the most part I have nothing to say. Just wanted to put that out there so people know that I'm not a crazy dog-snatcher lurking on this thread.
turbojenn
kcrile...introduce your fiancee to a few greyhounds....better yet, dogsit for one....that changed my husband's mind real quick on the whole dog issue - they pretty much sleep all. the. time. That's it, that's all, and they're really low maintenance, easy going dogs. I still need a dog walker, as I work long hours, but he is happy as a clam in our small apartment. I have a friend in NYC who has 2 greyhounds in her studio, and they are happy puppers!
kcrile
Lucizoe- I know this is a doggie thread but I have to tell you how much I love your avatar of the cat nose and the quote "I am cat furniture". I totally didn't notice that, but when I did I almost peed in my pants!

Greyhounds, huh?
Hmmm ((scratching my chin and pondering)).
I think greyhounds are beautiful and I love to run so definitely sounds like a good fit for me. I think dogsitting for one sounds like a good way to introduce the fiancee to greyhounds since if I tried to talk to him about it I'm pretty sure I would get a categorical "No way!"
turbojenn
here's the funny thing about greyhounds, k, they are the laziest animals. Seriously. And they're not much good for jogging partners, as they are sprinters, and yeah, they can run 35mph, but for very short distances...they can overheat in high heat or if they get over-exerted. I do take turbo to an enclosed ballfield to run about once a week, but he only runs about one lap, and then he's done. greyhounds are happy to walk with you anywhere, and won't pull on the leash, but they are chill dogs, all around.

And here's something sweet for ya'll...Puppy porn!

Scroll down to see the photos.

Ok, the golden puppy is my FIL's brand new pupper, Jake, who is unbearably cute - he just came home on Saturday.

The pomeranian puppy is my BFF's, her name is Zoey, also 9 weeks old, and also came home on saturday, and is just too adorable for words...she looks more like a stuffed animal, or gerbil, than a dog. The funny thing there is that its actually her big macho BF, who wanted the Pom, she wanted a medium sized mutt....I love that!
pollystyrene
I don't know if this is a joke or not, but it's pretty funny!
turbojenn
THAT is great, polly! Turbo would be the perfect candidate, but I'm afraid he'd get beat up at the dog park. wink.gif All the dogs in our 'hood really have a thing against poodles without pants (shaved tushies)...they will attack any sissy-groomed dog, but particularly the couple of poodles without pants. SO, we've started a campaign to "bring pants back to the poodles," and champion our cause at every opportunity.

Yes, the poodle people think we're weird. We just think their dogs look silly, and alternately cold in the winter. tongue.gif
kcrile
THank you for the links polly and turbojenn! I thought the doberman-to-poodle costume was hilarious. Especially because the reason these breeds are a "problem" always seems to come down to the owners being inexperienced, indifferent, or assholes!

Pit bulls seem to be a big status symbol among the latino men in my neighborhood and you can just tell that so many of these guys don't know what the hell they are getting into. It would almost makes me laugh if it weren't so sad because those dogs just aren't going to be handled well. Oh and the best part is that they don't neuter the dogs. I'm not sure if they spay the females, but they definitely don't neuter their boy dogs!

Okay I'm off my soapbox! So thank you also to turbojenn for the puppy pictures. I'm in love with the furball (i mean the pomeranian). Not sure I would want one. Although I am liking the idea of a greyhound more and more smile.gif
ginger_kitty
My brother in law's great dane died yesterday. He was getting up there in age for dane but it was kind of unexpected. My hubby feels guilty b/c the day before he played really hard with the dog. No one really ran around with him anymore so my hubby ran around and the big guy chased him all around. The dog loved it! But the Mr. was worried the heavy activity might have had something to do with it. I told him not to feel bad, at least he got to play like a puppy one last time.
mornington
(((gk)))

jenn, check my myspace blog! Is he not beautiful? I'm waiting on the homecheck! Thank you sooooo much for the book advice, btw - I read it from cover to cover.

mm, poms are so daffy looking. I've seen some really troublesome ones - little dog, big attitude. But that one... *steals*.

I have to admit, there are a lot of staffies around here - it seems to be a status thing. A lot of the guys let thier dogs run loose as well. My pupper-to-be is really shy, so I'm kindof worried about walkies. But hopefully there won't be many about.
pollystyrene
Aww, he's sooo cute, Mornington! I hope the homecheck goes okay.

((ginger)) I'm sure the doggie's death had nothing to do with your husband playing with him, and like you said, he got one last good run around. Better than if he had died after not having any attention paid to him for awhile or anything! sad.gif
turbojenn
Mornington, he is SO beautiful! And just so you know, Turbo was exactly the same when we first met him - didn't want to come visit with us at all, and he was a spook when he came home - scared of everything, and bonded tightly to me immediately, though still not very affectionate - he just didn't want turboman to walk him. But, as each month passed, he came out of his shell, and his personality unfolded, and now....he's in CHARGE at the dog park, refereeing every round of play, and protecting the small guys. I can't wait to hear about your adventures! (and sorry about your re-run year ahead - ugh.)
mornington
I passed! I officially have a pupper all of my own. laugh.gif . I'm gonna call him Indigo. No reason.

I can now hang in this thread without feeling like a total loser.
ginger_kitty
mornington, he is gorgeous!!! Indigo is a cool name, too.
turbojenn
Congrats, Mornington!!! .....As if there were any doubt that you'd be approved! Indigo is a *great* name! I can't wait to hear all about him! ....And you were never a loser for hangin' with us, either! If anything, you're our medical expert!
turbojenn
I think I need a 12 step program for learning to say "NO" to people who need dogsitting. I've got one extra greyhound this evening, because his sister has to go to surgery, and he'll freak if left alone.

Last weekend, I had zoey for 5 days.

Next weekend I've got two pugs for one night, and I just *know* one of the other dog moms is going to ask me to take her 2 greys for the same weekend, as she has an out of town interview next week - I HAVE to say NO to that one....I'll have her two for an entire week in October between when her lease runs out and she actually moves out of state. I'd rather have the dogs than her, though - she's a little unstable.

I am tired of dogsitting, but can't seem to help myself when doggies need help. At least I don't have children.

"Hi, my name is Jenn, and I can't say no to dogs in need." eep.
kelkello
Congrats, Mornington on your new pup. Welcome to the world of unconditional dog love. My dog, Soji (short for Sojourner) is the best thing I ever did for myself. I've had her six years and have loved every minute of it (well, except for the vet bills, but you know...). She knows when I'm happy and comes and lays next to me when I'm sad or sick. No man has ever been as consistent as my dog.
mornington
thanks kel!

I got Indigo to eat! This is a big step for him - the first time he's done more than sniff his bowl since he got here. We also met two new people - both men - and didn't wig out too badly. I mean, he didn't want to know N, or G, but he didn't hide. much. I think he's also learning his name. I feel quite proud of him, really. He's still nervy, but so much better in such a little time. He's also stopped being quite so curious about the bunny...

Tomorrow we start work on being alone. Baby steps.

mornington
harrumph... see the cob thread...

jenn, how did you help turbo stop being so nervous? Indigo is fine in the park when there's no-one around, but walking on the pavement is just terrifying for him. I'm trying to act like there's nothing to be scared of, and I don't want to reassure him too much in case I'm just making it worse.

raisingirl
I'll be lurking in here to see how everything's going with sweet baby Indigo.
turbojenn
Yeah, I remember turbo not wanting to walk on the pavement at all either...we'd just walk a little on the grass and a little on the sidewalk, and in a couple days, he was fine. Our slippery concrete stairs were the most terrifying for him. As for the nerves, I'd pick up some Rescue Remedy at your local natural foods store - its a homeopathic remedy, a bach flower essence, and you can rub 5-7 drops onto the fur on each ear, and that can help take the edge off. But getting used to the neighborhood just takes patience and time. And repeating the same route for awhile until he gets used to the sights and sounds, and then once he's comfortable with that route, work on expanding his repetoire. If you know of any other greyhouds in your area, you might try and work out a time when you can walk/play together in the near future, so he can see one of his own kind, and draw some confidence from another greyhound. I was lucky, in that our neighborhood is full of greyhounds, so he had some buddies to learn from.

Hang in there, and be patient - he'll come around in time, and when the spooks settle in and get comfy in their homes - its SO rewarding! And don't worry about the eating thing - he won't starve himself. Did you get raised feeders for him?

Edited to add: Oh, I just looked at your cobby post...people definitely can be idiots, but for Indigo, you have to focus on remaining calm and in control - he'll freak out more when you get twitchy. As he's learning to walk with you, be sure you're keeping him on a lead no longer than 6' - a 4' lead might be better for initial training. I put my hand all the way through the loop and then wrap the leash around my hand 1-2 times so that I have a good grip on turbo...don't worry, he'll be a different dog and much more settled in a couple weeks' time, just be patient. They're good dogs - just coming home is an alien life for them and they have to learn how to be pets. It's all worth it, I swear. smile.gif
mornington
I haven't got him raised feeders - they didn't have them at the kennels so what I'm going to do is put his bowls on a box in a few days, once he's gotten used to them being his bowls, if that makes sense (also, greyhounds aren't popular pets here - we're too near the track for them to be anything other than racers and nowhere sells raised feeders). He's just eaten some lunch - biscuits and tuna - so I think we're going to be ok there. He's been alright with other dogs - as long as they're big slow ones. If the little ones run at him he shys away and hides behind me. He seems to have come around to me, if nothing else... *mutters to self about damn dog chewing my slippers*.

He's on a good short leash - he met my friend N (who is brilliant with most dogs and he was fine) yesterday who commented that he walked really well but did I really need to keep him on such a short leash; I have to pick up the loops (I've got a 4' leash from the rescue) otherwise they trail on the floor... when there are people about he walks right up against my leg. I think it'll take a while to get used to people being around - he hates it when people walk behind him.

turbojenn
AH, well, turbo still doesn't like small dogs much - he'll walk way around them, or if they jump at him he gives a warning growl, and I'm fine with that, he says what he needs to say. And, you'll get to know all the other dog owners in your neighborhood soon too, so that will help both of you along. On our contract from the rescue, it stipulated that we were to walk greyhounds on leashes no longer than 6', and *never* retractable leashes. They seem so calm and lazy when they walk normally, but if they want to chase something - as you know - they're very strong...so we still stick to that rule, for sure. And fall is "squirrel hunting season" for turbo, and every once in awhile, he scares the hell out of me and takes off, and I am very glad for my short leash, 'cause he can't go far, without me following behind.

Raising his bowls on boxes is just fine - we did that for many months before we found a set of feeders online that we liked. I just threw some of that non-stick shelf liner stuff on the box, and it did the job just fine. Our neighbors just use a little kiddy step stool, and that works fine for them too.

You're doing great as a hound mama!!!
pollystyrene
So, Le Boy and I used to joke about how "funny" it would be if our dog ever got left out of his kennel while were were out. I can now say in all certainty that it is not "funny".

Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Exhibit C
Exhibit D

I freely admit that my house was in a state of disarray because I was in the process of cleaning and organizing, and sometimes you have to make the mess bigger in order to clean it up, but this is ridiculous. I'm thinking that when I put him away this morning, I didn't push the door shut all the way and the spring-loaded pins didn't catch in the holes.

At least I spared everyone pictures of the two places he pooped on the floor. *Thank cod* we are replacing the floors soon.

**Off to clean...**
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.