Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bustie's best friend: the dog and puppy thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
little_idiot
Hi ladies, haven't posted on this thread before but I'm a total wreck and need some support from fellow dog-lovers...
I have two pit bulls, both rescues, one is pure bred and the other is probably a lot of other things too (American bulldog, mastiff, etc.). They're fantastic dogs, I don't think I'd own any other breed. But I got a letter from the city yesterday saying that they are now banned here and I must make immediate arrangements to remove them from the city to prevent further action. We've lived here over 3 years but apparently that doesn't matter because I had a "limited window" in which to comply with the ordinance (by posting Beware of Dog signs, getting a 50k liability insurance policy, muzzling them when they're outside the house or fenced yard, etc) and now it's too late. This is the first notice I've gotten about it so obviously I'm appealing it but the lady I talked to today said it isn't worth my time, other people have already tried and failed. I'm also looking for a lawyer that might be able to help but I also have to start preparing to possibly find a new place to live in two weeks--that's the approximate time she gave me before they'll start issuing citations and then seize the dogs. I can't believe this is happening. They're 100% good citizens, and we're so friggen responsible it's insane. Oh, and here's the kicker--pit bulls are out, regardless of their behavior, but the city's definition of a vicious dog is one that in a 12-month period has bitten a person 2 or more times or caused serious harm to a person one time. WTF?!? My dogs have never bitten anyone but they're more dangerous than a dog that's bitten someone twice or more in one year?? It's just mindboggling... And you better believe I'm going to fight these effers all the way, when they realize how much $$ it'll cost them hopefully they'll re-think this, at least let us stay here with our dogs until we move south in the fall...
Cross your fingers for us!
faerietails
little_idiot (i feel so weird calling you that! tongue.gif ), that really really sucks. i've worked and volunteered in shelters for almost 4 years now, and pit bulls get such a bad rap. at the 1st shelter i volunteered at, we weren't even allowed to walk them; they were just put down, no exceptions. it wasn't until i started working at the aspca that i got a chance to really interact with pits, and now i've decided that's the next dog i'm getting. i've fallen in love with at least 3 in the past 6 months!

Here's Pit Bull Rescue Central's page on Breed-Specific Legislation; it's basically an overview on why BSL doesn't work. There's a bar on the side that links you to more info in fighting BSL.

Here's the Humane Society of the United States' official position on BSL, as well as an article on why breed bans aren't the answer.

American Veterinary Medical Assoc.'s Community Approach to Dog Bite Prevention

ASPCA position on Breed-Specific Bans

ASPCA: Lobbying 101

I really hope this works out for you and your babies. The major animal rights orgs in the country are opposed to it, so you've got that going for you. If the city tried to take away my pets, there would be serious hell to pay.
mornington
((((little idiot))))

i hate the breed-banning idea. I know pit bulls are a controlled breed over here (must be neutered unless licensed, on a lead, muzzled etc) but they and staffordshire bulls are popular dogs. And i, personally, love them - some of the sweetest dogs i've known have been pits and staffies (admittedly, the meanest dog i've met was a staffie, too, but that's ownership - they want them mean here).

it's snowing today, and it's time Indigo and I went for a walk. This is going to be... interesting.
moddivorce
QUOTE(faerietails @ Feb 6 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Did any of you see this article in The NY Times this weekend? It's about purebreeds vs. designer dogs (like puggles and labradoodles), and quite frankly, the whole thing horrifies me (particularly purebreeders' attitudes towards the "undesirables" of a litter). It's a long read, but it's interesting.

ginger_kitty
little_idiot, that's horrible! My heart goes out to you. I can't believe you can't appeal and become grand fathered in.

faerietails, word! I would be kicking and screaming if someone tried to take my beloved pets away.

I just can't agree with breed bans, it's like doggie racism. One of my neighbors has a pit-bull/mastiff mix and I love it it to death. She is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever encountered.
turbojenn
(((((((littleidiot & puppers)))))) Gah!! That makes me SO angry! Breed banning is so ridiculous! I hope you can win an appeal...if they're forcing people to move, I would think that the township/city should be the ones to pay any lease breaking fees, but I'm sure that's not the case. I hope they let you stay and keep your puppers! Like you, there's no way I could give my doggie up!

We have dogfighting in our 'hood, so I've had both good and bad experiences with pitties, but even so, breed bans are not effective, and its about educated owners more than anything....I wish there were a way to have everyone owning a dog to take an "owners responsibility class" in order to get licenses...but of course the offending dogs are un-fixed, un-licensed.

(((((little-idiot)))))

Polly, everytime people get riled up about the upcoming cicadas, I just shake my head...we've *never* had a summer here without freakishly large numbers of them, and the deafening noise. Maybe there are more of them here because we're close to the lake? Turbo definitely doesn't like seeing them on the sidewalk, twitching around. Neither do I.
little_idiot
So I met with a lawyer today, one who was recommended to me by the rescue I got my second dog from. He was behind the state-wide laws prohibiting BSL in Minnesota, New Jersey and Mass along with many other pet-law cases. He has tons of experience and I think he's the best person we could have working with us. I have to submit my appeal tomorrow, and it's going to be a letter from him outlining the case and then my narrative explaining the situation and requesting to be allowed to stay here (while complying with the restrictions of the ordinance) until fall. Won't know anything until next week at the earliest but I feel a *little* better now that I've met with the lawyer. It's not a sure thing though. Everyone please send positive vibes our way... Thanks for the support and links everyone.
ginger_kitty
I just don't understand how anyone could bring themselves to hurt a dog, or any other animal honestly. I am posting a link to a newstory I read, *warning* it's kind of brutal what they did so you may not want to read the article. But the it doesn't really go into graphic details. I am just really happy that the a**holes got 10 years. I often hear about slaps on the wrist for such crimes and get really angry.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/teens...S00010000000001
pollystyrene
I'd read that a couple weeks ago (maybe they weren't sentenced at that point), ginger. More animal cruelty cases need to be dealt with that harshly (and maybe moreso), not only for the animals, but because children and young adults who torture animals usually go on to be murderers/abusers.

So the issue I posted about last week, with my dog peeing and freaking out in his kennel, has not gotten much better. I haven't had to sleep on the couch with him again, but he's peed a few more times and the kennel freak-outs at night are still going on. It happens during the day, too, but he's not in there much during the day, so it's less of an issue. Also, I understand him not wanting to be in there when we're up and about. Yesterday, Le Boy was home with him and even after taking him out twice in the late afternoon/evening, he still peed in his kennel.

When I got home later last night, Tana went out around midnight, didn't have any water when he came in and we went to bed around 1am. For two and a half hours, he whined and scratched in his kennel like his life depended on it. We did the non-fur baby technique of letting him cry it out, as anxiety-inducing as that was. This morning, there was no pee in his kennel, so that wasn't the issue. I don't know why this is suddenly a problem. He used to understand that when we put him in his kennel, turned the lights off and went to bed, that was it. He gets fed at that time and he's happy and usually snoring within 10 minutes. Doggie night terrors?

Basenjis are prone to kidney problems (specifically Fanconi's Disease, where the kidneys stop absorbing glucose and other elements) so I'm a little worried about that, but he's not showing any of the other symptoms- no dramatic weight loss, his coat is shiny, his eyes are bright, his nose is moist (not wet) and cool. I'm probably going to bite the bullet this week and take him in, even though it will mean spending money that we technically borrowed from Le Boy's parents for bills.

Assuming there are no health issues, I don't know what we're going to do. I'm pretty sure that if we hadn't taken Tana off our friend's hands, they would have put him to sleep. They wanted to get rid of him because he's not especially child-tolerant and they were having twins. They've had other pets put to sleep for behavioral issues- they've had 3 cats who have developed peeing issues and once it was determined that it was behavioral, they put them down. I don't judge them for it, but it's not an idea I'm comfortable with for myself. I came from a cat-only household and Le Boy came from a dog-only household. In both families, until the animal was incurably sick and all sensible medical treatment had been taken, we never put any down. Right now, my parents have a cat who refuses to use a litter box and does her thing by the back door on a daily basis. No real reason why- the litter box is right next to where she does it and it's clean. I guess I was raised with a higher tolerance for it, where it was just seen as a idiosyncrasy of the animal, but we still loved them and wouldn't dream of putting them to sleep for it.

I know there's no black and white answer here, but if this is behavioral, I don't know where to go with it. Le Boy's getting fed up and is ready to get rid of him (which would mean putting him to sleep because obviously, the dog is high-strung and being in a shelter would be hell for him.) This week, the issue will probably get worse, because I start back to work on Tuesday and he'll be home alone, in the kennel all day. I think he's gotten very used to me being home and being out. I just don't know how I feel about putting down a dog who's not old or technically sick. Has anyone else had to make this decision? unsure.gif

ETA: Annnnd, 10 minutes after I post this, he pees on my kitchen rug. Fucking great.
turbojenn
(((((polly, le boy and tana))))

Polly, I would say that there is a chance that this is all going to get BETTER when you go back to work, and Tana's on a regimented schedule everyday. I don't have any particular advice, other than to maybe look up someone who works with emotional behavioral problems in dogs. Poor little Tana - you guys have done so much to give him a good life, I just wish he could tell you what's stressing him out so much.
pollystyrene
I think I'm going to stand my ground about waiting to make a decision until:
- he gets seen by the vet, hopefully tomorrow
- I've been back at work for awhile
and
- the weather is better

I'm wondering if he has a dog version of Seasonal Affective Disorder or something. My mom half-jokingly suggested putting him on Prozac. Normally, I'd scoff at it, but I'm beginning to think it may not be a bad idea- one for me, one for the dog! We can see if it works. I wonder if it would be expensive or not. Maybe we could just keep him on it in the winter, like November-March or so.

When we went through these behavioral issues last winter, and had him checked out, and everything came up clear, the vet said, "Basenjis are very emotional dogs." Basically, they're very high functioning, like border collies, but without the obedience characteristic. I really think and hope his schedule's out of whack, and he's bored.
ginger_kitty
oh polly, I hope the vet can figure out what is going on. Definately try to convince your guy to hang in there. See what the vet says before you make any decisions. ~~~~~~Vibes for you and tana~~~~~~~
turbojenn
Polly, I think you've really hit on something there with your guess about the irregular schedule, seasonal issue, and Tana's behavior...and YEAH, basenji's are very sensitive, smart, emotional creatures...our neighbor's basenji really can't even be left with someone while they go on vacation - poor pupper turns into a destructive monster for several weeks after - theirs was a rescue as well. Have you looked for a Basenji forum online where you can share your issues - other owners might have some good suggestions for you. I know the greyhound forums were a goddess-send when we brought our very scared/shy hound home.

Speaking of which, the greyhound playdate yesterday was such fun! I think it was more fun for us, though, than it was for turbo! tongue.gif We loved hanging with all the hounds - there were about 40 dogs there, and their owners were all really welcoming, and its such a funny thing because there's an initial 10 minutes where a few hounds are racing around, but then after that....they're all just standing around, looking for skritchies, or rubbing their muzzles on your pants to try and get it off. Too funny. Turbo was pretty stressed at first, and wouldn't leave our sides, but then when the crazy dogs settled down, turbo made the rounds to each and every person there, looking for love. Funny furbabies. So very un-doglike.
mornington
polly, it does sound likely to me. i hope the vet can sort something out. ((((polly, tana and leboy))))

pollystyrene
Thanks for reminding me about the forums, turbo. I've half-heartedly looked for them in the past by googling "basenji" and the few that came up hadn't had posts in months (what, people don't spend hours a day, every day, posting on their favorite website? Freaks! laugh.gif )

After your suggestion, I searched again, but for "basenji forums" this time and found one with an active community, with many thread topics and posted in the "I can't take it anymore!" thread. People seem pretty nice, so hopefully I'll get some good replies.

And I did make a vet's appointment for Wednesday. The latest they could get me in was 6:00, so I may have to leave work a little early- not good for the second day, but hopefully they'll understand.

Aww, and that playdate sounds like so much fun.
aliboo
Hey all dog owners, I have a question.

I have an 8 month old Papillon and the he is the first dog I have ever had that is completely my own so even though I grew up with dogs my whole life I'm still learning new things.

My old man and I are getting married in a couple of weeks and the little guy will be boarded at a kennel that I've heard lots of good things about. I'm so sad about leaving him but there was no other choice. So we arranged his doggy hotel and all that jazz. The lady at the kennel told us that of course they require all the shots which he has but he has not had a vaccination for Kennel Cough. She told me that "Knock on wood, we have never had a case so we don't require it but it is ultimately up to you"

Should I go ahead and get him vaccinated against it? I did some reading about it and it sounds like it can get pretty serious and I know I would probably freak if I even suspected my little guy getting sick, I already feel bad enough having to board him.
mornington
aliboo - yes yes yes yes yes. kennel cough is a horrible thing, and the vaccine will protect him from getting a serious (and possibly deadly) infection.
aliboo
Thank you Mornington...seriously...all I needed was one person to tell me yes. That little guy is like my child and I get so paranoid about his health sometimes. I shall call his vet and arrange the vaccine!
culturehandy
I second Mornington, I don't take Emily to Kennel's, but even for playing with other dogs at the dog park, we get her the vaccination.
little_idiot
Great news! We got approval to stay with both dogs. We have to follow the conditions of the ordinance (the main thing that sucks about it is that they have to wear muzzles when out of the yard but we'll get used to it) but we're allowed to stay as long as we want. God, I'm SO relieved! Maybe I'll finally be able to sleep tonight.
pollystyrene
Well, at least you get to keep them, little idiot!

Tana went to the vet today. I had to collect a *ahem* sample and they said there's proteins in his urine, but not glucose. It could be anything from just the way he is to a minor infection to a sign of Fanconi's. They need to do another test that compares the levels of one protein to another (or something like that) but they need that fresh, potent pee that only comes first thing in the morning. He also needs his teeth cleaned and to have a little benign growth on his leg removed. Those both require general anesthesia, so I think we'll drop him off the night before the surgery and they can get that morning sample themselves. They drew blood for some pre-op tests to make sure his liver levels are healthy before he goes under. I have to schedule the operation for sometime in the next month, while the blood test results are still relevant. He got a 3-year distemper shot (yay, don't have to worry about that anymore!) and another years worth of heartworm tablets (the ones they make like treats- he loves them.)

The people on the basenji forum have been very helpful!
turbojenn
Good doggie news all the way around!!!

Congrats little_idiot on keeping your puppers, and you're right, the dogs will get used to the muzzles....turbo wears his at the doggie park and greyhound play dates...he's certainly not a vicious dog, and he doesn't even have any canines, but he will occasionally try and nip an annoying little puppy, so it just makes me feel better. And if that's what it takes to keep your puppers, no matter how stupid the rule, so be it - you get your puppers, and that's what we all wanted to hear!

Polly, I'm glad that they're doing a good work-up on Tana to get to the bottom of this, and that you're getting some good support on the basenji forums! Bummer about the surgery though - I hate having to put turbo under for teeth and fatty growths - we had to do that two years ago...expensive. I hope our puppers appreciate how loved they are, and the lengths we'll go to to help them! But I suppose, so long as I have a dog that's happy to see me everytime I come home - that's reward enough!
mornington
little idiot, that's fantastic news!

and it's good to hear that tana's having tests done - even if he has to have minor surgery.
ginger_kitty
OMG! This is freaking terrible:

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/02/...&frame=true

little idiot, Yay on keeping the pups!! So glad it worked out for you.

Polly. good to hear you to Tana in to get her checked out. Now at least you know more about what is going on.

Just took my hound to the vet for his regular check up and shots, found out he has whip worm. sad.gif
mornington
that's horrible, Gkitty. it makes my ears hurt.

Boy Wonder (brother) is complaining because Indigo is breathing down the back of his neck and all he can smell is dog breath. Indigo is watching his computer game... and the bunnies.

mm, worms. I wormed Indigo this morning. Gah. let's crush drontal in peanut butter and pray... he looked at me like i was trying to poison him. I'd noticed a few worms in his poo recently - despite being wormed already - so I changed brand and wormed him a few weeks early. He must have picked them up from the puppy class. To make up for it, I just ordered him a hoodie. to match my skull-print scarf. i need shooting. i'm accessorizing my dog. does anywhere make greyhound-sized dog handbags so i can tuck him under my arm?

I hope you get it sorted, Gkitty!

turbojenn
Mornington, I just hope that Indigo does not have the swamp mouth that turbo has...that dog can make car trips mighty miserable with his horrid maw. tongue.gif

And I think greyhounds are just ever so accessorizable, I don't know how anyone resists! They're so docile, and will let you put anything on them...they're just screaming for fashion. Now when you get the hoodie you'd better cough up the piccies of Indigo in the hoodie - turbo might need one too!! laugh.gif

ETA: Mornington, I was just cruising Fabulist.org, and THIS was today's post...I think you definitely need this to go with that snazzy hoodie!
mornington
oh my god I want. I already have my beady eye on the skulled-up rubbish bin in topshop. and the lunchbox. apparently I have a problem...

mm, gaping maw. his breath isn't that bad. BW's just sensitive.
IPB Image
turbojenn
What a lovely smile and goof toofers you have, Indigo!! Poor turbo's got terrible teeth - no canines, just ground down little nubs...his kennel manager at the track said he was an anxious cage chewer.
ginger_kitty
heehee, what a great pic and uber pearly teeth!

The vet gave me a prescription, so the worms are probably close to death as we speak. I just wish he wouldn't get into everything, his nose gets him into so much trouble! He must have eaten something gross....
culturehandy
congrats little idiot!

I'm excited, it's finally warming up here, so I can take the four legged bandit for a walk! She gets destructive when she doesn't get walked. LIke digging up the house plants. Little bugger.
culturehandy
Double post, well sort of...

anyways; Funny (cross posted, too)

Pet Diaries
Excerpts from a Dog's Daily Diary;

* 8 a.m. Dog food! My favorite thing!
* 9:30 a.m. A car ride! My favorite thing!
* 9:40 a.m. A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
* 10:30 a.m. Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing
* 12 p.m. Lunch! My favorite thing!
* 1 p.m. Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
* 3 p.m. Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
* 5 p.m. Milk bones! My favorite thing!
* 7 p.m. Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
* 8 p.m. Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
*11 p.m. Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary
Day 683 of my captivity:

"My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are
fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for
the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in
order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an
attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the floor.
Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their
feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it
clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made
condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. The audacity!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was
placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However,
I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my
confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what
this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my
tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try
this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches.
The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and
seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The
bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the
guards regularly.
I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged
protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe.......
for now."
pollystyrene
Cute picture of Tana as he basked in the sunlight today:
IPB Image

His teeth cleaning, removal of growth and urine test are scheduled for the 13th. He's still peeing in the kennel. It was good for a few days, then was bad yesterday and today.
mornington
polly, tana is beautiful! they had a basenji on the crufts warm-up programme and i thought of you. Good luck with the tests!

my mother has been visiting over the weekend. Indigo adores her, it's too funny. He actually looked sad when she left.
ginger_kitty
Tana is gorgeous! Hope he feels better soon.
mornington
polly... there are pictures of a certain hound's pjs in kvetch.

i think he looks cute. he thinks he looks stupid. biggrin.gif
pollystyrene
Oh, he looks snug as a bug in those, Mornington. And very dapper in the maroon jacket I saw somewhere else.

Tana doesn't like wearing clothes. We had to force him into a sweater occasionally when it's REALLY cold because he has no fur on his belly. I teased him that he *wished* he had that sweater on the night we got locked out. It wasn't the coldest night that week, but it was still damn cold.
turbojenn
Awwww, Indigo looks SO adorable in his jammies!! I love them! Isn't it amazing how well greyhounds can evoke that peeved look...it cracks me up. Turbo gives me the hairy eyeball everytime I talk to him about ball-licking when company is over. tongue.gif

polly, I've got three neighbors with sets of our keys now - I've locked myself out with turbo SO many times, as our door auto-locks when I close it, and I don't have a cell phone, so I need my peeps to help me out when I'm an idiot. smile.gif
octobersky
Culture - my mom sent me the cat/dog diaries, it really cracks me up. If you live with both kinds of fuzzies it certainly sums up the difference in personalities.

Cute pup, polly!

It's so nice here today, so I took the pup for a walk, it was so refreshing to be out in the first "spring" day. smile.gif
mornington
turbo, tell me about the disgusted look. Indigo's favourite is a resigned glare... usually when I start baby-talking him (I hate people who baby-talk kids, why do i do it to my dog?) or playing with his ears. And yes, when I tell him off for licking his balls. blink.gif

I keep staring at Tana. He has me hyptnotised.

Does anyone get crufts coverage in the states? They had the most gorgeous old english sheepdog winning best of breed - with a tail! They're banning tail docking; you can't compete if your dog had it's tail docked after april 07, even if you come from a country where tail docking is still legal. I think it's a pity they're not banning it outright, tail docking is so very pointless in so many cases.

I remember the vet I used to work for kept a jar of puppy tails in his surgery, and he'd insist on showing it to people who brought puppies in to have thier tails docked. It even put a few people off.
culturehandy
Tana us a beautful puppy!

Tail docking, hmmmph.
turbojenn
Well, turbo's got this hairy eyeball look...its very developed and effective at making humans feel bad. It goes something like this: I tell him to stop with the ball licking, he glares at me....then, he curls up his lips, slowly bares his teeth, then licks his nose, all the while his ears are in half-batwing mode. Its very effective. smile.gif

And tana is mesmerizing. He has powers.
ginger_kitty
I have never really been a fan of tail docking, or docking ears for that matter. It just seems cruel to me. I understand certain breeds need dew claw removal, but even that seems wierd to me in some ways. I am not sure I know enough about it.
culturehandy
Why remove a dew claw? To me it's like removing a limb.
turbojenn
Some of the owners of racing dogs remove dew claws, others don't. I wish they had removed Turbo's dews. When he runs flat out, he comes home with several bloody scrapes each time, and greyhound skin is so fragile, I really have to keep him on low exercise for awhile until the scrapes heal.

I know this isn't the case for most dogs - who have much more fur, and thicker skin, but I feel bad for turbo when I see his legs all nasty - it doesn't seem to bother him much, but his legs are a scarred mess.
pollystyrene
I'm glad some dog shows are coming out against these barbaric practices- like turbo said, removing the dew claw makes sense on some breeds (does it just grow smaller on other breeds, or is it because of how much greyhounds run that it causes them to damage themselves?) but tail and ear docking is just pointless. LeBoy had two collies when he was a kid and they got them as puppies. I don't think this is the same as docking (isn't that actually cutting the ears/tail?), but the breeder had folded and taped their ears down with splints to get that cute folded-over ear look. They removed them as soon as they got them home, and they stayed pointed up. They were just as cute!

Tana came back from the vet today, clean-toothed and growth-less. They also ran that other test for Fanconi's and it came back negative. Which is good, but it still doesn't give a medical cause for his peeing. I wasn't able to pick him up from the vet and LeBoy didn't ask the right questions, so I'm going to call the vet tomorrow to see where we should go from here.
turbojenn
polly - greyhounds injure themselves with their dew claws for a couple of reasons - first, their skin is so thin, just about anything scraped against their skin will result in bleeding. They also don't have much fur to protect them. But mostly, its the way that they run - their spines seem more flexible than other dogs, and when they're running, they go from flat out full extension to their legs sweeping in and crossing underneath their bellies - thats when they scrape. Most dogs just don't get the same form as the greyhounds when running.

I'm glad Tana's got clean toofers and growths removed....the peeing is still a mystery, though. Hmmm....very strange. I hope you can figure this out soon.
mornington
yay for tana being growth free and clean-toothed! And yay for no fanconi's. I hope you manage to get to the bottom of the peeing - is he still doing it?

Dew claws don't really serve a function, and in the case where a dog is likely to injure itself, it doesn't hurt to remove them. docking is indeed removing the tail, usually about 2/3 bones from the root. Some working dogs need thier tails docked (it cases where a long/hairy tail would prove dangerous or hamper thier movement) but there's no real point unless the animal is actually working. The was I see it, tail docking is mostly asthetics, but dew claw removal is for health. It's the same with tail docking in sheep (prevents a lot of infection)

Indigo still has his dew claws, but his legs seem ok. Greyhounds, compared to most other breeds, are incredibly thin-skinned, though. To the point of ridiculousness. They also lack the sub-cutaneous fat that protects from injury.

He's started limping again on his left fore, and I can't find any cause. He doesn't even seem to be in pain. It's also intermittent, which is just plain odd. It's that leg which was damaged when he was racing, so it might just be an olf injury showing itself when he runs too much.

freckleface2727
= pops in here where I never post=
cross posted from the kitty thread, bc this is so important!

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

please, check your food labels !!!!

oxoxox,
freckle (who has an adorable 2 yr old golden that is the love of my life & I need to post about sometime! biggrin.gif )
ginger_kitty
I just about to post that link, freckle. My heart dropped when I heard about that recall on the radio, I feed my pups Nutro. But they are saying it's only the wet/canned food, so I feel a little better. But I am still a little freaked out, b/c I am not sure when I gave them canned food last, I rarely use it, just as a treat. I'm sure they'd be showing syptoms though....I just worry so much about my pups.
culturehandy
Ginger, there was something on CBC this morning about it being canned food! Which takes a load of my shoulders as the puppers eats IAMS sometimes...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.