Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bustie's best friend: the dog and puppy thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
culturehandy
Would you want a really aggressive dog though? I mean Isabel is assertive, but calling her aggressive is laughable. Then you have to watch out with really really aggressive dogs, and we all know how some people cry wolf.
cloverbee
no, probably just more assertive, you are right.
culturehandy
I recall when we first took Isabel to the off leash park, she was scared shitless, she was so afraid of other dogs, she would run away, tail under her bum. It just took some time, now she's all over playing with other dogs like flies shit. we can hardly get her away from other dogs now.
msgoofball
i had a dream that a black and tan doggie with a crumpled/chewed up ear at a foster home wanted me to take him home. he looked at his foster mom and she said 'well, we will have to see if they want to take you home.' like he picked us out for him. made my chest hurt...and then i woke up. i swear, these doggy dreams are gonna make me cry.
turbojenn
awww....msgoof...you'll get another dog when the time is right, I'm sure. When I was desperate for a pupper and turboman was still skeptical, I went to the dog park to hang out about once a week, and dogsat all the time. I need puppers in my life.

Turbo has been a lot more aggressive since he got attacked last month. He gets nervous when any excitable dog approaches, and growls instantly. And tonight at the park he was alternately his usual goofy self chasing other dogs and barking at them, and stuck to my side shaking anytime a youger pup ran by. Poor guy. I'm trying to take him back to the park every night to re-socialize him...I think its just going to take a little time.
cloverbee
awwe turbo. he'll get back to himself. just keep reassuring him. ~~sending over good puppy vibes~~
karianne
((turbo)) I guess he is still freaked out, and understandably so. I am sure he will get better too.

Msgoof, you want a dog badly, don't you? I understand that feeling, I had wanted one for so long before we finally got one. I would try to spend a lot of time with friends' dogs.

We got a new couch, we aren't letting Yuki on it. She seems sad. I feel guilty, but then I think 'she's a dog.' Plus, she is still allowed to get on the armchairs. Out of curiosity, how many of you allow your dogs on the furniture?
turbojenn
no dogs on furniture here...turbo has two gigantic fluffy beds, and comforters on the floor as well - he has more furniture than I do. I don't really care about the fur on the furniture, I just don't want to compete with a dog for couch space...greyhounds will take as much space as they can grab!
lucizoe
((msgoofball))

I want a dog too, badly...I cruise the dog park once a day to try to satisfy puppylust. Unfortunately, it only makes me want to run around and play with them. I might be getting a dog-walking job; interview today. Hopefully that won't just make it worse...

Anyway, just wanted to say, I feel your pain
karianne
oops, msgoof just reading over my post...I meant to say "I used to spend a lot of time with friends' dogs", what I said sounded more like I was telling you what I thought you should do.
culturehandy
Isabel is allowed on some furniture. She knows what to go, and what not to go on. I feel bad about having to kick her off the bed when I need the bed to myself though.
raskel
Abbie can't be on any furniture. She's far too hairy, it would drive me nuts. She has a big fluffy bed to lay in instead. She also likes to bunch up the area rugs and lay on those.
ginger_kitty
I let my doggies on the couch, but I vacuum a lot. I couldn't stand turning them away when they want to cuddle!

msgoof, you'll get a pup when the time is right.
mornington
*delurks*
our lab was allowed on one sofa - and she appropriated the floor cushions. I'll let dogs on the furniture as long as they share, and only when there's space, and never on the bed (after my step-mother's maltese-x tried to steal my double bed).

((msgoof)) I know exactly how you feel.

*goes back to lurking*
cloverbee
no way unless there is a blanket on the bed or couch for her to lie on. I've had too much furniture ruined from her licking her paws, shedding and expressing her anal glands on my furniture. blech!! I taught her how to "go get her blankie" and she will go grab it and I will lay it out for her on the couch.
pollystyrene
No couch for my dog either. After about the 4th time he peed on it, we said no more! Now, the couple of times he's peed since then has been on the floor. Not that that is any fun, but the carpet is easier to blot and spray than when it soaks into the foam in the cushions.

He has a chair he's allowed on when he's in the office with us, though.
cloverbee
my dog pees on the bed sometimes.
turbojenn
clover - that is soooo cute that she goes to get her blankie so she can be on the couch!!

Ok, now this is when I'm glad I have a big dog....I've never seen the nastiness of the anal gland expressing business, and I think I'm glad for that....

A new greyhound just came home in our neighborhood - another 3rd cousin of turbo's....alls I can say - his grandma really got around! heh.
cloverbee
turbo, clover is 102 lbs and she has the anal gland thing all the time. if she gets hurt (i.e. foot slammed in door) she sprays everywhere! if she gets scared she does too and sometimes they get clogged and I have to have the vet squeeze them out and you never get that smell out of anything. it's the most pungent smell ever! and it does stink. usually when she poops it's taken care of but not always. anyway, TMI???? sorry.
ginger_kitty
I always let my pups clean out the peanut butter jar, when it's empty it brings them so much joy:
URL=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/7083/p42900425bl.jpg[/img][/URL]
clover, that is super cute that clover is trained to drag over her own blankie!
culturehandy
ginger so cute! Isabel actually went deep into the ponds at the park where we take her off leash. Yup, she actually jumped right in and when and retrieved her ball. It was fantastic. I was so excited, she was so cute, and not nearly as chubby as I thought. She got a bog rib cage, but, even with her fur, when I wold pet her, she seemed really big. Turns out, when she is wet she's darned cute. With chicken legs.
turbojenn
awww....that is so cute with the pb jar - I'm gonna have to try that! Turbo looooves pb. In the summer, I make him doggy ice cream by blending pb, yogurt, honey and a banana in the blender...ok, it tastes fantastic for people too, but I freeze it in little cups for turbo and he loves it!

I think anal glands scare me. ;)

aww....your swimmin pupper is so cute, culture! Turbo's a very genteel wader - greyhounds sink, as it turns out....and he found that out the hard way the first time we took him to the dog beach and chased another dog's ball! I had to go in and rescue my panicking pup!
raskel
Aww, I can't wait until it's warm enough up here to take the pup swimming. Unfortunately, she's too chicken to go in alone. I have to go in with her. She has fun as long as I'm in the water too.
ginger_kitty
I wish my pup realized he could swim. He just jumps from spot to spot in shallow water. And my cattledog is deathly affraid of water.

So proud! Just took my hound to vet the other day and found out he lost 2lbs! He is still chunky, but it was good news to hear he took off a little wieght.
culturehandy
Isabel used to wade as well. That's it, but then she realised that she could swim. What was funny is that her floopy ears actually flopped and bobbed while she was swimming. I can't imagine greyhounds swimming either, same thing with great danes, they seem s little awckward to be swimming.
karianne
Ginger, your doggie is just too cute. Also, yay for the hound losing some Lbs.

Yuki busted out of her harness the other day. We had her on her lead outside, she saw a cat & just took off. We were outside with her & she came right back. Which is an improvement.
gardnerella
My dog has recently realized he could swim and he is soo cute! I threw in a branch about as big as myself and he brought it back. There are a lot of ducks and geese (and a crane!) in the area and while he was swimming back a duck flew into the pond about 20 feet beind him. It was so funny. He was startled at first and then turned around and realized what it was and wanted to get it but the duck took off a few seconds later. That was when his collar came off in the water. I hope it turns up tomorrow or I'll have to buy yet another collar - I just bought this one a few weeks ago. He stinks now but he is too cute when he's swimming in the water.
cloverbee
does anybody else's dog shed like a mother$^^%#$??? I sweep up huge hairballs everyday from this beast and I brush her and bathe her on a regular basis. am I doomed to suffer w/ this?
culturehandy
Isabel shed really badly once. It was when she was losing her puppy coat and got her adult coat, and there was fur everywhere. We had to get her groomed. Twice. The second time all the fur was gone, it could just be a seasonal thing clover.
karianne
clover, my dog was shedding like crazy a few months ago. We had her clipped, and that seemed to get us over the hump. Her hair has grown back, but she is hardly shedding at all now. It was seasonal. Is your dog's hair long enough to clip?
ginger_kitty
cloverbee, There is this tool I borrow from my SIL who is a dog groomer, I think it's called a furminater and it helps with shedding. I think she bought is on e-bay. It's like a special comb that does something to the undercoat. I don't know all the details.

My someday maybe pup will discover he can swim. I was thinking about getting him a doggie life jacket because we are planning a trip to a lake w/ some friends.
cloverbee
ha ha! the furminator. I saw that on an infomertial one time. isn't it that thing you hook up to the vacuum cleaner? I've talked about getting one of those for a long time.
I just included another pic of my baby on my profile. it's from when she was a toddler. she's sleeping right now. I ran her two miles straight today. that's the most ever, I think. I'm proud of her. she'll lose that fat in no time at all.
ginger_kitty
oh no, I know what your talking about. What I was thinking about is just a brush or a comb no vacuum needed.

Allright so I am taking my little pup to hang out at my friends house later. So I am crossing my fingers that she won't beat up my buddy's poodle.
mornington
clover... too too too sweet!

There's a brush a friend uses on her retrievers (which have longer hair than your baby) - I've seen one called "rake" which is similar looking & does things to the undercoat, and there's another called "slicker". The slicker thing is lovely.
culturehandy
I broke up with my b/f and he took Isabel. I'll never see her again. I just want to let you all know I probable won't be in here for a long time. It's too much for me.
cloverbee
oh culture, I am so sorry. That must be really painful. If you want to talk about it, we are here for you sweetie.
~~hugs~~
mornington
(((((culture)))))
turbojenn
(((((((culture)))))) I'm so sorry to hear that. I do hope you'll consider getting a dog of your own when you feel ready...and you are welcome here anything you need to share your feelings.
ginger_kitty
((((culture)))) That sounds awful. Definately feel free to talk about it if you need to...
msgoofball
(((culture))) i still lurk.....
raskel
(((culture))) That has to be really hard. Maybe eventually you could get visitation? I know someone who did that.

I took Abbie swimming this morning. She had a blast running up and down the beach and chasing frogs in the swampy area. She even took off into the water by herself.

karianne
((Culture)) I am so sorry.

cloverbee
I took clovie to be weighed today and she's 90lbs now. down from 102. she loses 2 lbs a wk. is this too fast or are we on track w/ her new diet/exercise program?
turbojenn
congratulations clover!!! That's wonderful news! I've no idea on the pace of weightloss though....turbo's been on an eating strike since its been so hot here this week, so he's down a couple himself, and I'm seeing a little more rib than I prefer. But he did eat this morning, since its cooler out today.
ginger_kitty
congrats, cloverbee. 2lbs a week seems reasonable. But I wouldn't be disappointed if clover doesn't lose wieght everyweek.
mornington
yay clover! I'd say 2lbs a week is reasonable enough. She shouldn't be losing much more than that - if she does, I'd maybe consider talking to your vet. How much more has she got to loose, or are you just getting to the point where you can feel her ribs w. a little pressure?
cloverbee
well, she's supposed to be around 85 the vet says so she has about five more lbs. to go. she seems a lot happier and more energetic now that she's not such a fattycakes! I had her on some active food for six to nine months that made her gain a lot of weight. now i have her on some weight control food and we run about five to seven miles a day. me on the bike and her doing all the work!
turbo doesn't like to eat when it's hot? clover would eat in the fiery pits of hell. your dog is more human than dog I think!
ginger_kitty
We took our pups to the dog park this morning. My cattledog got all worn out and hot playing with his soccer ball. So he decided to cool off in a giant stinky puddle of mud.
But I can't be mad he enjoyed himself to much. When we got home I told him straight to the bathtub, and he listened and waited in the tub for his bath.
turbojenn
No clover, I would eat in the fiery pits of hell. heh. I'm the one with food impulse control in this relationship. ;) Turbo is very dainty....nibbles at his food all day, and you must be standing in the kitchen for him to eat at all, he likes company.

Whoa, ginger - your dog will *wait* in the tub for you? Nice! Turbo has a permanent phobia of the bathroom. Bad, wet things happen in there....oh well.

I'm so glad clover is feeling more energetic - our neighbor's golden lost 20lb, and she turned into a puppy again, it was so cool to see!
cloverbee
oh ginger! clover did the exact same thing yesterday only it was two diffrent muddy, dirty puddles of mucky water. I just let her clean herself off in her little pool when we got home. She still stinks but at least she looks clean. my neighbor said his dog got stolen out of his yard the other day. wow. and the little golden lab across the street ran away yesterday. we're keeping a close eye on our pups from now on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.