Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
tankgirl
oh yah and...

freckleface7
she is tooooooo adorable tankgirl!
gah I just want to squish & hug her ! biggrin.gif
congrats again!!
lananans
I just found out that my dog has allergies, and we're giving him ... cortisone i think... for it... the vet didn't really say what he could be allergic to or book a follow up appointment... and just pointed out that he needs to lose weight... i'm a little worried about him.

also, anyone have any good tips for weight loss when it comes to a 127 lb perpetually hungry yellow lab?
mornington
it's very difficult to do specific allergy testing in dogs - and also very expensive. Giving them cortisol is a bit like you taking generic antihistamines (you know, anti-allergy meds) because it treats the allergic response. you'll probably find he's got hayfever or something - watch and see if it settles down in the winter.

labs tend to fat, but... well, switch her kibble to the light variation, cut out snacks. Labs will eat whatever you put in front of them, whenever you put it down - so gradually cut down her intake to just complete kibble (you can add gravy, or a very little watered-down skim milk). If you like, split it over two meals, but you have to control what she eats - shouldn't be more than four cups daily (although check the feeding guide on you kibble). And then lots of exercise. It'll take time, but it is possible. How long has he been overweight?

tankgirl: awwwwww

lilpink: crating is up to you - i don't have any experience, as crating isn't common in the uk. as he's a pup, he probably misses his littermates. has he got plenty of toys to snuggle with? Maybe you could leave the radio on? (and I use flickr, or photobucket)
candycane_girl
lananans, my dog has allergies as well. I can't remember what we give him but every spring he just gets itchy and licks himself like crazy.

My baby needs to lose some weight as well (unfortunately he's back home with my family and I'm living on my own now) and basically we've had to gradually cut down the amount of food we were giving him and like morn said, don't give him snacks. My mom is the worst for this, she gives in to his sad "I'm soooo hungry face" even though he's well fed. Stay strong!
freckleface7
we got Bella spayed on friday morning.

- is it normal for her incision ( I know this sounds bad) to be, well, scabbing & peeling off??
yes she has stitches, which are to be removed at the vet's in another 6 days or so, but that's how it looks today, like a long skinny scab that is hanging off but there is No Bleeding and she is apparently feeling so good that she is attacking all the toys in the living room today. AND tried to chase a bird when I took her out on the leash to potty.

we've kept the e. collar on her, only taking it off her when we take her out ( again, leashed & controlled bc she wants to run & jump) & are keeping she & Blue seperated (w/ 2 days left of that- yah! he sits at the gate in the kitchen & whines & cries to be out w/ us but we feel it's better for Her to be w/ us, tho do switch out w/ her in her kennel sometimes too.)

anyway- call the vet right?
I honestly thought they'd call us today- how crazi is that?
if she seemed like she was in any discomfort, I would, but she honestly seems great.
the mr says she is fine, but me, ever paranoid, is afraid to trust her behavior even though I know she hasn't chewed or gotten to it bc she hasn't been able to.

oh, and both puppy's got weighed when we took them to post for their additional shots, and while I knew they'd gained weight, I was thinking 40-45 lbs each.
XXX!!
Bella is 55 and Bluey is 61.5 !! at just at 6 months old. blink.gif
freckleface7
update:
the vet called right after I posted this, and advised us to bring her in.
so I did.
the 'scab' was actually just matted fur w/ some incision seepage, and they peeled it right off.
then there is some swelling, but no fluid came out when they tried to drain it, but they said it looks as if she's having some sort of minor reaction to the sutures and if she'd let us, to keep the area clean & use warm compresses on it before bed.
and we need to keep her quieter.
uh huh.
she's now to be crated til she gets them out except for controlled & short yard leash walks.

and there was No Charge for the check, which is good, bc the mr & I are still questioning some charges from friday, but at least I know now my girl is still ok.
mornington
oh, poor bella! hope she feels better soon.

a little bit of a reaction after spaying isn't uncommon, it's only if it starts seeping - and yeah, while crating is horrible, you *really* don't want her getting at the stitches. if the vet didn't say already, put a little salt in the boiled-and-cooled water, it'll disinfect the area. I know Pete's a bunny, but he did appreciate the washing and grooming he got while he was in his buster collar, and it did stop the hair around the stitches matting up.
crosby
These are my babies!!

Eleanor Roosevelt, English Bulldog (she turned one two weeks ago):

Crash Davis (anybody seen Bull Durham?!), Boxer (will be seven in December):

That second picture of Crash can always cheer me up. smile.gif
pollystyrene
Aww, crosby, they're so cute. I love bulldogs like that, where they have "neat" faces....I had a friend whose sister had really ugly bulldogs, where they were all fleshy and drooly and stinky. Her other sister had a bulldog like yours and she was such a great dog.

I found this on I Has A Hot Dog, just after I saw your pictures and thought of yours:
humanist77
crosby, you should send that second photo into cuteoverload!
pollystyrene
QUOTE(humanist77 @ Jul 10 2008, 12:06 AM) *
crosby, you should send that second photo into cuteoverload!

Oh, you should! It fits all their criteria- the nose roll, the chunky paw, the tongue stickin' out....like a little angel. wink.gif
crosby
Ahh that is such a good idea! I love cuteoverload.

Pollystyrene, that boxer picture cracks me up!! It's so cute and funny!

I told the dogs that you all think they're beautiful. They appreciated it. smile.gif
rubberdollz
My husband and I adopted an american staffordshire terrier in early January. I'm all for adopting animals but sometimes it's agitating the things they say to you. I questioned them about the fact that the dog we wanted had missing hair on his head and was told that it was from him being in a crate and rubbing his head on the bars, I accepted that and we took him home. The smell that started to come off of his skin was horrible and looking at his belly I knew something was wrong. We took him to the vet to find that he had a bacterial and yeast infection on his body and that is why he had hair loss. After numerous times of being at the vet and numerous amounts of prescriptions I got tired of it and put him on a strictly holistic diet. It's called Azmira. Now he gets detox drops at least once a week to keep his system detoxed, he gets dry food with a sea kelp supplement. His skin has improved greatly, the people at Azmira are so nice and helpful when I was looking for the correct supplements to give him. His hair has grown back in and he doesn't have that nasty smell of yeast anymore.

I don't allow any kind of "treats" or people food to be given to him because I don't want to take the risk of him having another reaction to whatever it is????? I even started giving my cats the cat food by Azmira and they all had a great turnaround. They used to BEG for food all the time and now it's rare that the food is even gone in their bowl by feeding time. When I first turned them on to the food they went through this "detox" where their hair shed like crazy but after that they have been great.

I know that vet's want to help but sometimes they remind me too much of the doctors people see and are so willing to give our animals all sorts of drugs. I felt bad having my dog on 4 different types of meds when I won't even take a pill if I'm sick.
tankgirl
i brought Lucy to the vet again and was much happier this time, I had a different vet this time (but same office) and even though she only went in to have her booster and rabies shot, the vet talked to me longer about stuff we were having issuse with than the vet who gave her the "yearly exam" and it was cheaper. She is 25 lbs now, 2X as much as she weighed last time! I'm so psyched for her to be big. Here's a pic of her in a tutu. No really, she likes wearing it.
crosby
Aw tankgirl, Lucy looks so beautiful in her green tutu.
vesicapisces
QUOTE(rubberdollz @ Jul 20 2008, 03:43 PM) *
I know that vet's want to help but sometimes they remind me too much of the doctors people see and are so willing to give our animals all sorts of drugs. I felt bad having my dog on 4 different types of meds when I won't even take a pill if I'm sick.

You're the exception rather than the rule, rubberdollz - very few owners are willing or able to commit to - and STICK to - major dietary restrictions for their animals. Plus our society tells them that allopathic treatment is the only sure thing, for themselves or their fur people. There was just a great article in the New York Times magazine about the trend for vets to prescribe "doggie Prozac" or other mood-altering drugs for pets, when a lot of the time behavior management would have worked just as well or better.
rubberdollz
QUOTE(vesicapisces @ Aug 5 2008, 10:31 AM) *
You're the exception rather than the rule, rubberdollz - very few owners are willing or able to commit to - and STICK to - major dietary restrictions for their animals. Plus our society tells them that allopathic treatment is the only sure thing, for themselves or their fur people. There was just a great article in the New York Times magazine about the trend for vets to prescribe "doggie Prozac" or other mood-altering drugs for pets, when a lot of the time behavior management would have worked just as well or better.

You are totally dead on about this. My husband still has a problem with the cost of the food but I don't have to feed my dog or cats as much as I did with the brands you get from a pet store because they are more filling and healthy. I even give my dog a sea kelp supplement and his skin/coat looks wonderful. No one has issues with the food and maybe the little extra cost that is involved will keep my vet bills down. The only thing he'll be getting is his rabies shot but nothing else. I don't get shots for myself, I feel bad injecting my dog or cats with anything.

It is really scary how the medical community is everywhere..... you are right about the behavioral management but a lot of people just don't want to take the time anymore. We are so busy in our lives that we forget to take time out for the ones that truly love us. Your dog and cats don't understand what hatred is, only love and affection 24 hours a day. Give them the attention they deserve and the dominance they need and you'll have a really great animal.
rubberdollz
*BUMP*

Ok so I just had this disturbing experience today at home and it involved my dog. I heard him barking out back and could hear my neighbor yelling at him to shutup! So I went out there to bring him in and the next thing I know it I'm getting yelled at! The guy told me that my dog is scaring his dog when I've seen them both barking at one another and running back and forth along the fence line. He told me to get my dog licensed or he's going to call the cops on me for having an aggressive dog! I told him to not stick his hands through the fence or anything if he thinks my dog is aggressive and he said FINE and walked away.

Ugh... I feel like shit. My dog is not aggressive and he's barking because someone is yelling at him to shutup he doesn't know what that guy is saying to him!!!

The guy is a total loony and I was warned about him having mental problems from another neighbor and I'd hoped to just keep things cool but with him threatening to call the cops it makes things uncomfortable. I think he is going through some kind of episode because he hasn't left his house for a few days and this morning the hubby caught him sitting in his car..... just sitting in there. He slashed one of the previous owners tires when they asked him to turn down his loud music he was blaring super late at night. Ugh.... sucks not knowing what kind of neighbors you have before you purchase a home.

What the f* is a dog license going to do? I told the guy that he was up to date on his shots and everything and he's not being aggressive!

I called a dog training company that comes out to your house for 1 on 1 training and it doesn't start until the 17th. That means I have like 10 days that I need to get through this. You know I could understand if he was outside barking super late at night or super early in the morning but it was 2 in the afternoon! I know the guy doesn't work and is pretty reclusive and can tell that he's not the same person I've spoken to before.... which really scares me. Ugh.. the look in his eyes was scary enough. I'm really not the type of person who gets scared so quickly by someone but this guy made me nervous just looking at him.
tankgirl
So, I'm haveing a hard time training Lucy, as expected with a pit. But my main consern right now is her submissive/excited peeing. She is now 5 months ols, way too old to still be doing that, I have tried everything and am currently working with a friend who is going to school to be a dog trainer. The only thing I have found that has worked is making her sit (andsometimes holding her there) for about 5 minutes while someone comes home or comes over, then letting her greet them without them getting too excited over her. It is working really well, but my consern is when guests/roommates don't follow along and let her/me do the thing that works.

The other day, my roommate had a bunch of friends over and one of them reached out to pet her right away. I said "can you please not pet her right now" and he reached out further to pet her and questioned me. I explained to him why and he continued to try and touch her and said " well, you know absolutely nothing about dogs"so I had to pick her up (not an easy task at this point) and bring her in the other room, and could no longer hang out in my own house.

Another problem I have been having is people feeding her people food when I tell them she can't have it. So, now she begs and jumps up for peoples food that feed her while they are eating, which they may not see as a problem now, but when she is a 70 lb full grown pit bull, they sure as hell will mind. Oh, and she NEVER begs for food from me or my boyfriend while we are eating, she goes and does her own thing and leavs us alone, but I am afraid that if too many people feed her, she will become a huge begger.

I have ben having a hard time dealing with other people adhering to my dogs rules in my house, and I was wondering if any of you have had this experience before. Am I just not pushy enough with people? Or do I surround myself with ignorant people? I don't want to spend my whole day bossing around my roommates and their friends, telling them one time should be enough, shouldn't it?
crinoline
it sounds like you're trying to do all the right things tankgirl, sorry that people won't cooperate

I'm getting (my first ever!) a puppy for my birthday. I'm trying to decide between a Maltese and a Pomeranian. I've always wanted a Maltese, and I know one with a good personality, but there are some adorable pomeranian puppies available that are pretty difficult to resist.

Any advice??
mornington
I don't know anything about malteses - although my dad had a maltese cross who was a sweetheart - but they do have the advantage of not shedding (being poodles). Poms shed, and need grooming daily (malteses need regular grooming and trimming). Poms can be really sweet, but they have quite the small-dog complex and can be difficult to house-train as they're territorial as well as uppity

((((tankgirl)))) stupid people. Shutting Lucy away seems to be the only solution; possibly start having her away and explaining the rules. Or making guest clean up her pee...
pollystyrene
Sorry about people being jerks- they're not the ones who have to live with the dog and deal with the aftermath of whatever they're doing, so they should shut the hell up!

Malteses bark....a lot. They make ideal watch dogs, despite their size. My aunt and uncle have one, and while they adore him, the rest of the family hates him. A lot of it is their own fault. They treat him like an accessory and never established any boundaries with him. Now he's completely neurotic, barks and snaps at everyone and they have to keep him drugged up just to take the edge off of him.

I don't know a lot about pomeranians, but they are one of the few little dogs I think are cute. Those little teddy-bear faces! I actually think they're cuter with a shorter cut, too.

Something totally cosmetic with malteses- they get those icky streaks by their eyes from their tears. I'm sure some people can get past that; it's just an irrational pet peeve (no pun intended!) of mine.
Ronia D'Arc
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Sep 18 2008, 11:09 PM) *
Sorry about people being jerks- they're not the ones who have to live with the dog and deal with the aftermath of whatever they're doing, so they should shut the hell up!

Malteses bark....a lot. They make ideal watch dogs, despite their size. My aunt and uncle have one, and while they adore him, the rest of the family hates him. A lot of it is their own fault. They treat him like an accessory and never established any boundaries with him. Now he's completely neurotic, barks and snaps at everyone and they have to keep him drugged up just to take the edge off of him.

I don't know a lot about pomeranians, but they are one of the few little dogs I think are cute. Those little teddy-bear faces! I actually think they're cuter with a shorter cut, too.

Something totally cosmetic with malteses- they get those icky streaks by their eyes from their tears. I'm sure some people can get past that; it's just an irrational pet peeve (no pun intended!) of mine.

Ronia D'Arc

Um, how do you do this? I'm completely new to this whole chat/forum thing.

Like, is anyone there? Is ANYONE THERE???

Haaaallloooooooooo, is anyone there? Can you heeeeaaar me?

Ok, girls, or non-girls if you're not a girl, I'd like to introduce myself:

My name is Ronia D'Arc--I'm a 34-year-old mommy of one child (a tomboy). I'm married to a man who can be wunderbar at times but who also at times makes me want to put my head in the toilet and flush, flush, flush away.

I work as the executive assistant at a library--it's great but also not great. In fact, right now it's not great at all. Right now I hate it. I hate being an executive assistant. I hate opening interoffice envelopes. I hate wearing conservative clothes. I hate pretending to care when I don't care.

But I like the library--no, I love the library. I am a book-y person, ie kind of weird, so I fit right in with all my book-y (weird, in a lovable way) coworkers. That's what I like about my job--my coworkers.

But what am I doing? I didn't come here to bore you with these boring details about my boring work life! I came to ask you to visit my blog, Ronia D'Arc Tells The Truth.

I'm asking you to visit my blog because it's an anonymous blog (I'm using a pseudonym) and so I can't tell my friends or family about it. I don't have any readers except for my husband, and he only reads it because I force him to.

Soooo...I have no real readers. And I need someone to read my freaking blog. Please, please read it. Just one sentence of one paragraph of one entry. PLEASE!! I will be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL!!!

Ronia

P.S. I HAVE TWO DOGS (A POMERANIAN AND A BORDER COLLIE/GOLDEN), A CAT, A RABBIT, AND A FISH
mornington
um, Ronia? There's a specifically-labeled "Newbies" thread, it's in the Community part at the top of the page; you don't need to post the same thing in several threads. Take some time to read around; the newbie thread is good for asking questions too if you're not sure how to post or where you'll find things. Welcome to Bust!

I'd forgotten about the teat duct issue - it's a problem quite a few small dogs have; malteses tend towards it, but I've seen it in Poms too.
crinoline
It's so difficult to decide!! My parents hate Pomeranians because they are "yappy". My boyfriend doesn't want a Maltese because they are "too white" (?). But I really, really want a dog that will stay tiny (preferably about 5 pounds) and that I can do a lot of grooming on (both breeds fit the bill). I also want a quiet companion to snuggle with.

My biggest concern is noise (I live in an apartment building) so I don't want a very vocal dog. I have no idea which breed is more quiet, I've heard that one is louder than the other from both sides.

Thank you for your advice so far...any more would be welcome!
pollystyrene
Pretty much any small, pure-bred dog is going to be yappy- it's part of their DNA. What about going to a shelter and finding a small dog that seems to be quiet? Have you looked into breed rescue groups?
rubberdollz
Yeah petfinder has an amazing database of animals around all areas. I found our pitbull online through them.

I think with most smaller breeds you are going to run into the yappy stuff, but maybe if you did look into a mix breed you might find one that isn't too bad.
culturehandy
I saw this and thought it was freakin' adorable.

I give you Ninja Dog!
auralpoison
I am a sap. I *wasthisclose* to getting a dog today. Those bastards from the Humane Society had them all up at the store & there was this adorkable little dog. He was some kind of spaniel, but he was spotted like a Dalmatian. He was so cute & he perked right up when he saw me. He still had his tail & what a sad little tail it was. There's a part of me that wants to go get him right now, but I have the wee fuzzies to contend with & Yo is a total bastard about dogs.
pollystyrene
My mom sent me this very amusing story from a friend-of-a-friend:

Jasper and the Unbaked Yeast Rolls

We have a fox terrier by the name of Jasper. He came to us in the summer of 2001 from the fox terrier rescue program. For those of you, who are unfamiliar with this type of adoption, imagine taking in a 10 year old child about whom you know nothing and committing to doing your best to be a good parent.

Like a child, the dog came with his own idiosyncrasies. He will only sleep on the bed, on top of the covers, nuzzled as close to my face as he can get without actually performing a French kiss on me.

Lest you think this is a bad case of 'no discipline,' I should tell you that Perry and I tried every means to break him of this habit including locking him in a separate bedroom for several nights. The new door cost over $200. But I digress.

Five weeks ago we began remodeling our house. Although the cost of the project is downright obnoxious, it was 20 years overdue AND it got me out of cooking Thanksgiving for family, extended family, and a lot of friends that I like more than family most of the time.

I was assigned the task of preparing 124 of my famous yeast dinner rolls for the two Thanksgiving feasts we did attend.

I am still cursing the electrician for getting the new oven hooked up so quickly. It was the only appliance in the whole darn house that worked, thus the assignment.

I made the decision to cook the rolls on Wed evening to reheat Thurs am. Since the kitchen was freshly painted, you can imagine the odor. Not wanting the rolls to smell like Sherwin Williams #586, I put the rolls on baking sheets and set them in the living room to rise for a few hours. Perry and I decided to go out to eat, returning in about an hour. The rolls were ready to go in the oven.

It was 8:30 PM. When I went to the living room to retrieve the pans, much to my shock one whole pan of 12 rolls was empty. I called out to Jasper and my worst nightmare became a reality. He literally wobbled over to me He looked like a combination of the Pillsbury dough boy and the Michelin Tire man wrapped up in fur. He groaned when he walked. I swear even his cheeks were bloated.

I ran to the phone and called our vet. After a few seconds of uproarious laughter, he told me the dog would probably be OK, however, I needed to give him Pepto Bismol every 2 hours for the rest of the night.

God only knows why I thought a dog would like Pepto Bismol any more than my kids did when they were sick. Suffice it to say that by the time we went to bed the dog was black, white and pink He was so bloated we had to lift him onto the bed for the night.

We arose at 7:30 and as we always do first thing; put the dog out to relieve himself. Well, the dog was as drunk as a sailor on his first leave. He was running into walls, falling flat on his butt and most of the time when he was walking his front half was going one direction and the other half was either dragging the grass or headed 90 degrees in another direction.

He couldn't lift his leg to pee, so he would just walk and pee at the same time. When he ran down the small incline in our back yard he couldn't stop himself and nearly ended up running into the fence.

His pupils were dilated and he was as dizzy as a loon. I endured another few seconds of laughter from the vet (second call within 12 hours) before he explained that the yeast had fermented in his belly and that he was indeed drunk.

He assured me that, not unlike most binges we humans go through, it would wear off after about 4 or 5 hours and to keep giving him Pepto Bismol.

Afraid to leave him by himself in the house, Perry and I loaded him up and took him with us to my sister's house for the first Thanksgiving meal of the day.

My sister lives outside of Muskogee on a ranch, (10 to 15 minute drive). Rolls firmly secured in the trunk (124 less 12) and drunk dog leaning from the back seat onto the console of the car between Perry and I, we took off.

Now I know you probably don't believe that dogs burp, but believe me when I say that after eating a tray of risen unbaked yeast rolls, DOGS WILL BURP. These burps were pure Old Charter. They would have matched or beat any smell in a drunk tank at the police station. But that's not the worst of it.

Now he was beginning to fart and they smelled like baked rolls. God strike me dead if I am not telling the truth! We endured this for the entire trip to Karen's, thankful she didn't live any further away than she did.

Once Jasper was firmly placed in my sister's garage with the door locked, we finally sat down to enjoy our first Thanksgiving meal of the day. The dog was the topic of conversation all morning long and everyone made trips to the garage to witness my drunken dog, each returning with a tale of Jasper's latest endeavor to walk without running into something. Of course, as the old adage goes, 'what goes in must come out' and Jasper was no exception.

Granted if it had been me that had eaten 12 risen, unbaked yeast rolls, you might as well have put a concrete block up my behind, but alas a dog's
digestive system is quite different from yours or mine. I discovered this was a mixed blessing when we prepared to leave Karen's house. Having discovered his 'packages' on the garage floor, we loaded him up in the car so we could hose down the floor.

This was another naive decision on our part. The blast of water from the hose hit the poop on the floor and the poop on the floor with stood the blast from the hose. It was like Portland cement beginning to set up and cure.

We finally tried to remove it with a shovel. I (obviously no one else was going to offer their services) had to get on my hands and knees with a coarse brush to get the remnants off of the floor. And as if this wasn't degrading enough, the darn dog in his drunken state had walked through the poop and left paw prints all over the garage floor that had to be brushed too.

Well, by this time the dog was sobering up nicely so we took him home and dropped him off before we left for our second Thanksgiving dinner at Perry's sister's house.

I am happy to report that as of today (Monday) the dog is back to normal both in size and temperament. He has had a bath and is no longer tricolor. None the worse for wear I presume. I am also happy to report that just this evening I found 2 risen unbaked yeast rolls hidden inside my closet door.

It appears he must have come to his senses after eating 10 of them but decided hiding 2 of them for later would not be a bad idea. Now, I'm doing research on the computer as to: 'How to clean unbaked dough from the carpet.'

And how was your day?
candycane_girl
lol, polly, omg that story is too funny. I definitely can't say that I've ever had an experience like that with my dog. My only question is how he got to the rolls in the first place. Were they up on a counter?

The worst thing my dog ever did was when he was still under a year old but very big. I had made some tacos and set out my tortilla with the taco meat on it. I went to get something from my room and came back to discover my dog, paws up on the counter eating my food. He knew that he was in so much trouble, he didn't even look at me, he just ran to his room.
auralpoison
Y'know, I read that story about three years ago & it's *still* funny. Reminds me of the time our dog ate the salt dough Xmas ornaments I made in third grade.
pollystyrene
I don't know- it just says she put them in living room. I'm not sure why she'd think they were safe there, especially with a terrier- those things are notoriously incorrigible.

Did you get your dog, crinoline?
pollystyrene
Someone tell me if my idea is colossally stupid or brilliantly genius...

Tana has been having issues lately. He'll be 10 in a month, which is the winter years for a basenji. I think he's becoming incontinent. He's a voracious water drinker (yes, we've had him checked for diabetes, Fanconi's, etc.- all negative) and we try to keep a schedule for water drinking and take him out about 30 minutes after he drinks, and again 30 minutes or so after that, and then as needed if he indicates he needs to go out.

Lately, a couple of times hasn't been enough and 30 minutes is too long. He's peeing like 10 minutes apart and subsequent times are usually just a small amount of pee, and he's not giving us any warning, he just stands up and pees on the floor.

He's also showing some signs of being arthritic, or at least a little stiff in his old age and we're on the second floor, so going outside requires going up and down stairs as well as walking to the far end of the parking lot, where dogs are allowed to "go".

We're getting fed up with the situation, but we're more mad at ourselves because we know he can't help it and we're becoming resentful of him, which we feel horribly guilty about. We love him, and we don't want to be the kind of people who break up with our pet, but at the same time, we're thinking about the remote chance of re-homing him with someone who has a backyard he can be in as much as he needs to be, with no stairs and who doesn't work as much as we do and would be able to give him all the space and attention he needs....but then we're like "are we just making excuses for our own laziness?" unsure.gif

ANYWAY, so I was thinking of getting a big, shallow pan, like 2' x 2' or 3' x 3', put some dirt and grass seed in it and put it out on our balcony and then anytime he needs go, it will be right there. I'd put something underneath it to raise it up so water doesn't get trapped and rot the wood floor of the balcony. I'm not sure how I feel about him pooping in there, and he still needs some time to walk around, so he'd still go downstairs at least once a day. I'm just thinking it would be better than re-homing him.

Any advice?
mornington
((((polly)))) the tray sounds like an excellent idea. You could use puppy trainer pads and just clean it up though, instead of grass (so you just hold your nose and roll the paper up instead of scooping and bagging)

Also - glucosamine for his joints and a copper collar as well - when I was a kid our labrador had chronic arthritis and the collar did wonders for her. We used a second collar for walkies, but the copper chain stayed on all the time.
pollystyrene
I'd do the puppy pads, but he'd shred them. It's a basenji thing. I tried putting a little rug in his kennel because I figure hard plastic isn't helping him, but he shredded it and ate it. So rather than risking the gastrointestinal havoc that could cause, he sleeps on hard plastic. Believe me, I've posted about that on basenji forums before and there's nothing out there that's basenji proof. rolleyes.gif

I was thinking about the glucosamine, though. I've never heard of copper collars, though. Are those like those copper bracelets that were all the rage for people a few years ago? I thought that got dispelled as a scam.
mornington
pretty much. our vet recommended it, though. I'd forgotten about the shredding - indigo does the same thing with any sort of paper.
auralpoison
I have decided: fuck the wee beasties. I'm gettin' me my goddamned dog come Hell or high water.

They ain't makin' it easy though. The Humane Society here is all volunteer, so they're like, fuck all. I've been calling for a few days & the bastards won't call me back. I even went out there today & it was a ghost town.

Hopefully, this will be my new baby. I hate the name, though. Trace? I have an ugly redneck, bohunk cousin named Trace. I want to call him Bubbles. Cos I'm a dork.

ETA, I just realised that you can see his little pink dog boner in that pic. SORRY!
pollystyrene
Aww, he's cute...and happy to see us. laugh.gif
mornington
aww, cute! (even with the dog peen - just shows he's a happy boy) Bubbles, definitely.
rubberdollz
Awww.. what a cutie. The coloring is really cool on him. Nothing like a little doggie porn!
pollystyrene
So I may have some good/bad news. The good news is that I may be onto what's been causing Tana's issues with peeing.

The bad news is, and this has not been diagnosed by the vet, I think it may be Cushings Disease. There's some info about it here. He's got the excessive urination/thirst. He's always been a little lazy and has a big appetite. I do think he's gotten a little more pot-bellied in the last few months. I think his fur is looking a little thin on his sides- I first noticed it several months ago, but I thought it was just his summer coat...now I don't think it's getting any thicker for winter. He occasionally pants for seemingly no reason and like I mentioned before, he has those callouses on his elbows that look a little raw.

I left a message at the vet's office tonight, asking them to let me know if they tested for this back in February, his last check-up and how much the blood test would cost if they haven't done it yet.

That article says it can be treated with meds, which, unless they're super-expensive, is good news because I'd rather be able to have something to treat than just think my dog is a pain in the ass.

So, we'll see what the vet says.
Lunalu
hello busties,

is there anyone here familiar with cruciate torn ligament injury of the knee in older dogs? I have a brittany spaniel, and she has been diagnosed with this because she's been limping well over 4 months. She's almost 11 yrs old in couple months, and the vets (we took her to our local and university vet. faculty / teaching hospital) say she needs a surgery, not a small invasive one but rather big and may be complicated (involving plates, and screws, and breaking her healthy bone and waiting to heal, etc...)
My husband and I are kind of scared about the surgery because of her age, also the cost of surgery, and the risks associated with the surgery... so, i think my question is if you have any experience with this orthopedic injury and you know anything about dog braces? any suggestion would be appreciated!!
sassygrrl
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble to separation anxiety. I will let Zoe out, and she won't do her business. She'll come inside and do it. I've had her now for 2 months, and am hoping that I'm not training her wrong. She's also eating clothes(I caught a few pairs of underwear chewed on), so I think that may have to do with teething.

I think there's a puppy kindergarden we can take her to in January.

Has anyone had this problem? I'm hoping this is just puppy ness.

mornington
Is she going out regularly? As in every hour or so? Last thing you do before you go out and first thing when you come back. I also found I had to leave indigo out for about 5-10 mins. Mind you, he wasn't a puppy, just not used to living in a house. Is she crated when you're out?

Also, I found with Indigo, it was easier just to *give* him something of mine to love on - an old tshirt or something. And work up to leaving him for longer, with talk radio (or the tv) on. But he's not much of a chewer, more of a hugger (he makes nests of dirty laundry). I know kong make a puppy version.
pollystyrene
Just be careful with what you let him chew on (or with what he gets into) because things can get stuck in there and cause problems. Shortly after we got Tana, he chewed up one of those cloth, drawstring bags that sets of bedsheets come in, where they're made out of the same material as the sheets. We knew he had done it, but didn't put two and two together when he had horrible diarrhea for about 3 weeks. He was on antibiotics and everything. Finally, he passed the rope from the drawstring- it definitely looked like it had been inside of him for 3 weeks! Nasty! But then he was back to normal.

Recently, having not learned our lesson, we tried putting some woven rag rugs into his kennel to give him something to sleep on. After about 2 days, there were large sections of it missing and we had to give up on that idea.

Tana went to the vet today- his eyes have been looking puffy and watery. Turns out he scratched one of them. Our theory is that he got a little eye infection from somewhere and was rubbing them with his paw, which scratched it. So now he gets drops a couple times a day.

The medicine he's taking for Cushing's doesn't seem to be helping at all. He's absolutely manic to get to water, he'll drink as much as he can and then he pees and pees. We're looking into getting a doggie litter box because it's going to be really difficult to take him outside as often as he needs to go over the winter. It's bad enough already. The vet wants to get the eye thing cleared up, then have his cortisol levels re-checked to see if the medicine's doing anything. The problem is that Cushing's can be caused by the pituitary or the adrenal gland and there's a different medicine for each. So we need to figure out if we're not treating the right one or if the dosage just needs to be increased or what.
tankgirl
The best think you can do is just have patience. Take her out when you know she has to go and don't come in until she goes, and when she does, praise her like crazy/ treats/clicker, however you are training her. You might waste a bunch of time outside, but once you do that a couple times, she should get the hint. Also, when you take her out, don't play with her or give her ANY attention until AFTER she goes to the bathroom.
freckleface7
Bella & Blue are now officially One Year Old, and I'd estimate about 90 lbs each with probably a bit more growth ahead of them.
so smart that they can unfasten the bungee cords double latching the gate in their enormous 1/4th the yard dog run (w/ 2 dog houses, straw, a dig pit, a bench to climb & a water tank) without chewing through it. (we only put them out there occassionally, hey still live totally inside w/ us)
..I've said it before.. you CANNOT be smarter than our puppies !
they are still sweet & adorable (very puppyish) and we are progressively allowing them into more of the house but are not yet ready to let them have the run of it as they are still so destructive.

last night or should I say This Morning.. before going to bed the mr thought he heard some wimpering, so he opened the front door & there sat 2 of the backyard catycornered neighbors baby puppies.. about 6 weeks old.. Mama was pacing in the street.. so the mr called to me & I got dressed & he got a laundry basket & I rode in back w/ them & we took them around the corner & back home, where Mama dog was waiting for us.
we rang the bell & the lady came out & got them & then they did a 'bed check' to make sure everyone else was still there & they are mystified as to how not that they got out (they live in the backyard) but how Mama made it that far w/ 2 babies & then how the babies got up onto our porch w/ the steps. (bc B & B were not able to do steps til they were much older)
my guess is that Mama helped them up there, to put them in a safe place. which honors me to no end.
-do mama dogs do that though?
ohhhh I wated to keep them! cuddle & love.. I am a ridiculous sap when it comes to fur-babies. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.