Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey fat Ass! Why is sizism still an acceptable prejudice?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
josje
I just want to say that for obvious reasons sizism is disgusting, and the media is disgusting for promoting it

But I think there is something to be said for people who disrespect their body by either depriving it or over-feeding it. How can you love your body and constantly abuse it? I realize that everyone comes in different shapes and everyone's healthy weight is higher but I know that a lot of people who claim to love their bodies go home at night and abuse their bodies by gorging themselves to reliever stress or whatever their reasons.
josje
wow, i just realized that i said almost the exact same thing as j'adore biscut
candycane_girl
josje, I agree with you. I think it's one thing to say that you love your body but it's another thing to say that you love your body and actually treat it properly! I know that I don't do it, I eat junk food, drink, etc. but I'm trying to stop and feed myself healthy foods because I deserve to have a good, healthy body.
knorl05
josje i do agree..

candycane, here's something great someone told me a while back "there is no try, only do" it took me a while to be able to embrace it but i still think it rings true
josje
yeah, I am slowly learning to love my body. I mean I used to eat junk everyday and I am slowly learning to treat myself better. It is easier said than done but I am getting there. I am still not what I used to expect myself to look like but hey, I am happy. It is amazing what completely cutting out fashion magazines can do for your self esteem. I mean you still see those images other places but it is one less way to brainwash you. It is sick once you think about it.

I like that knorl
LoveMyPugs
Chloe Marshall Article 1

Chloe Marshall Article 2

comments??

crinoline
From the second article -
It's a total fallacy that young girls are being pressured into near-starving themselves into being too thin.

Take a look around you and you will see that the total reverse is true. Teenage girls aren't in danger of falling victim to an epidemic of anorexia - but of obesity.

Really? Because I went to a highschool where it was shameful to break 100 pounds. In a class of 120, we had several girls faint from starvation and fatigue caused by purging exercise. Two girls, just in my class, were hospitalized. I remember having a society-supported ED from as young as 11 years old. My parents pulled me from gymnastics when I dropped to 60 pounds at age 13. Most girls I grew up with struggled with the same problem. The pervasive presence of eating disorders in teenage girls is in no way a fallacy.

This article's assertion that ONE average weight positive role model is instigating the obesity epidemic IS a total fallacy. Ms. Marshall promotes a healthy lifestyle AND a healthy body image. She is not telling young girls to eat Mcdonalds and skip the exercise. She is telling them to accept and celebrate who they are. I applaud her bravery and perseverance.

I actually believe that the obesity epidemic only strengthens the hold of EDs on our youth. Young girls are drowning in images of emaciated women. They are being sent a message that in a nation of overweight people, only the thinnest women are valuable. My heartfelt thanks to Ms. Marshall for proving how false that message really is.

thanks for sharing, Pugs!
neurotic.nelly
deleted
deschatsrouge
I feel sizism still exists for the same reason racism still exists. It something we can see to use to judge others. People can easily apply a stereotype to something they can see. It's laziness.
crinoline
QUOTE(neurotic.nelly @ Apr 8 2008, 06:39 PM) *
ETA: In highschool, I didn't know any girls with an eating disorder, but then, I think that is b/c it was a predominately working class area. Maybe, some of the girls were from a middle working class background. The first time I met girls with eating disorders was at college: a private, upper middle class school.

Yeah, it was a private school in an upper middle class neighborhood. Socio-economic status plays a huge role in eating disorders. Many of my friend's mothers (though thankfully not mine) spent literally all of their time on their appearance. Diet, tan, religious exercise, and plastic surgery. It's a sad way to live.

I also agree with deschatsrouge, prejudice is just lazy and stupid.
kittenb
*sniff sniff*

Something smells like spam. mad.gif
anarch
from Samhita at Feministing: It is the worst feeling in the world to hate yourself because of your body weight and one of the deepest wounds in my psyche. My mom is starting to understand the impact it has on my emotional/mental health and I have worked hard not to take it personally and recognize that she doesn't mean it to hurt me. But that doesn't always change the way I internalize it.

What are your survival techniques?
camaro
on one of my other message boards, this guy is the biggest jerk ever.. eating disorder troll
supporting eating disorders.

he linked this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKPaxD61lwo

and had this to say

Saw this on a myspace bulliten and thought to myself.....
We need to put an end to this crap.
And end to what?
And end to women being able to post this shit online.
All this will do is encourage girls to eat MORE.
We don't have enough physically fit women anymore;
This garbage comes around and encourages girls to eat more.
The fat will get fatter and the fit will eat more comfortably.
Is that what we really want?
Never Never Never will I say. . .
"Ahh, we need more FAT women"

here's a link to the original message. this stuff pisses me off to no end.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003469
pollystyrene
Gah, that's awful. Speaking of offensiveness on other forums we post on, someone in one I post on said they were having to get a restraining order because a customer from the store she works at has become obsessed with her. This is the second time she's had issues with a customer (don't know what kind of store, or if it's the same one as the first time it happened.) They're transferring her to another store location, but when she was talking to the cop to file the report, he actually told her, "maybe you should just eat a bunch of chocolate and let yourself go and this wouldn't keep happening to you." ohmy.gif

Un-fucking-believable. No, actually, all too believable and just fucking infuriating. mad.gif

I told her that ordinarily I'd say she should report him, but if she's going to be depending on police protection, maybe that's not such a good idea. Grr.

P.S. Welcome to Bust! Swing by the Newbies thread and introduce yourself. Couple of suggestions- if you'd like to start a new thread, run it past us in The Community Forum. We're self-moderated, so we try to keep new threads to a minimum, unless it's something that really hasn't been covered. We're always happy to direct you to an existing thread if you're not sure.

auralpoison
This pissed me off.

Hi, Ricki Lake. YOU WOULD NOT HAVE A CAREER IN ENTERTAINMENT HAD YOU NOT BEEN *FAT*. You were were cast as Tracy Turnblad beacuse you were a fat girl that had the moves. A fat girl that was unabashed & not ashamed of being fat. Now that your career is in the tank, you step out in Legere when you've done NOTHING to speak of in YEARS. I don't fault you for becoming more healthy, but I don't think it's right to castigate the big girls now that you are skinny.

I would love to see Beth Ditto fuck your shit up.
anarch
"I don't want to perpetuate that obsession," well too bad because the way she talks about it does nothing but rerun the same old. Ick.

Coincidentally, I came in here to post this Ask Metafilter thread: my body image just always makes me miserable unless I'm like, actively defeating the thing about it that bothers me (my weight). Unless I'm dropping a pound a week, I am in a state of "don't think about it you're fabulous don't think about it you're fabulous don't think about it OH GOD SOB SOB SOB." . . . I'm asking for tips on fighting this fear and self-hate that has had me in tears now and then, and not infrequently, for over 20 years. . . . I would like to stabilize my body image, and accept my body as it is.

There are some great answers and links in the thread. A nice antidote to the Ricki Lake take.
jemisoutrageous
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Dec 4 2008, 10:22 PM) *
This pissed me off.

Hi, Ricki Lake. YOU WOULD NOT HAVE A CAREER IN ENTERTAINMENT HAD YOU NOT BEEN *FAT*. You were were cast as Tracy Turnblad beacuse you were a fat girl that had the moves. A fat girl that was unabashed & not ashamed of being fat. Now that your career is in the tank, you step out in Legere when you've done NOTHING to speak of in YEARS. I don't fault you for becoming more healthy, but I don't think it's right to castigate the big girls now that you are skinny.

I would love to see Beth Ditto fuck your shit up.

High kick Hick kick Hick kick Jazz hands High kick.

He head is still 5 million fucking lbs. and she can't erase that like she's trying to erase history, sizist self-hating fucking asshole.
jemisoutrageous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fbwsh9Iw_w
thirtiesgirl
I'm a big fan of Kate Harding and her blog site Shapely Prose, which is all about size acceptance. I particularly love her letter to Oprah that she wrote earlier this month, directed at Oprah's recent "shame on me" blather about "falling off the weight wagon" again. Kate argues that Oprah, role model that she is, should work on accepting her body as it is, rather than castigating herself (and scores of other women who follow suit) for gaining weight again. I totally agree.
twelve_percent
I'm not sure where I stand on the Oprah situation. There is always a chance of influence when you are a celebrity but then again Oprah has her own set of priorities. Every heavy woman should love themselves but there is such a deep set guilt perpetuated by society for big ladies. No matter how much Oprah tries to be above the media's definition of beauty she IS the media. Am I completely wrong on this one?
yuefie
Sorry to be a complete bitch here but that asshole Oprah can eat a bag of dicks and choke on 'em. She once made a comment, several years back, about how lingerie shouldn't even be made in larger sizes (I believe the size she was referring to was 20, maybe even as large as 22 -oh my!) because, heaven forbid, women over a certain size have no business wearing lingerie.

I just googled it to see if I could still find the article and clip but it has been quite a while and it's good and buried now. Luckily for her the general public doesn't have the memory of an elephant like *this* heiffer does.
chachaheels
Well, I think Oprah is a wonderful example of an out and out truth that so many supposed "nutritionists" and doctors who claim to be knowledgeable about weight want to ignore. She has incredible wealth, and really, she can buy anything she needs to buy in order to stay thin--ongoing starvation regimes like her first few weight losses, trainers, chefs who put her on tight eating schedules and limit her food intake--all the supposed "cures" to weight gain. But she's been doing that and she's had trainers exercising with her endlessly and she's employed all the avenues she could buy, and yet she blames herself for gaining weight instead of realizing that she's going to be the weight her body intends for her to be no matter what she does. And it has nothing to do with how much she eats or how little she eats, and nothing to do with how much exercise she does or how little she does. How many times does she have to gain it back before she gets it? Because I think a lot of people "get" what she seems to refuse to see.

Furthermore, the kind of rollercoaster dieting we're seeing her do is actually deadly. Far more deadly than being heavier and differently shaped than the impossible beauty standard imposed on women, one that she's trying to meet.
kittenb
While I admit to be being annoyed and dissapointed with the way Oprah is handling herself right now, mostly I feel sad for her. I want her to like herself more and stop apologizing for being human.
And I dissagree that she is involved in some kind of deadly roller coaster weight loss. She just stopped eating and working out the way that she was before. I am in the same place right now and I don't think it is going to kill me to go back to healthier eating and working out regularly and with more intensity. I felt better when I was doing that. It worked for me. Less heartburn too (the sugar that I love gives me heartburn. sad.gif )
Now she has done weight loss extremes and even she admits that was a mistake and bad for her health. That wasn't what she did last time.
I do agree that many if not most bodies are going to settle at a weight area despite certain efforts.
raisingirl
This is also a confession, but I watched Oprah's show today. She let it alllllllllllll out with regards to her weight gain and what was going on in her head in the last year. I was skeptical of her doing this for ratings, being the first week of the new year and all, but I do applaud her for her honesty.

ETA: Here's a very small clip of what she said.
chachaheels
When we are talking about the amount of weight she intends to lose with each and every diet (including the one she's pushing now) we are always talking about roller coaster dieting. And that is deadly. Up 40 pounds, down 50, up sixty, etc.

There is no way that is nutritionally sound.
There is no way that will not have a massive impact on organ function in the body. A much more profound impact that just eating well, eating nutritiously, doing things one loves to do in order to be active (not a mindless exercise regime...the kind she always does and says openly that she hates).
There is no way "successful" weight loss like this can be healthy to anyone if it all hinges on the kind of self-loathing that sells diets. If you're eating and starving because of that kind of psychological illness (not accepting and loving yourself as you are) being thin will never make you healthy, your illness is already far deeper than being just a physical problem.

Thing is, Oprah's got a huge influence and she can make a massive difference to millions of people on the issue of self-acceptance and self-love that would be far more healing and far more healthy. That's a shame and a wasted opportunity to really make the world healthier.
neurotic.nelly
All that dieting, and it's no wonder that she has a thyroid problem now. She looks more normal and healthy at a heavier weight to me. The size that she loathes so much, that fullness, is normal for her. She is a southern black woman, and all the women in her family are probably full figured.
thirtiesgirl
Well said, ladies. I agree that Oprah should be more of a role model for self acceptance, rather than continuing the unhealthy diet/weight gain/freakout/diet cycle over and over again. This is the part that I love in Kate Harding's letter to Oprah...

It kills me to hear you [Oprah] say things like, ”I can’t believe that after all these years, all the things I know how to do, I’m still talking about my weight. I look at my thinner self and think, `How did I let this happen again?’” Honey, you didn’t “let it” happen again. Your body made it happen again, because your body does not freakin’ want to be thin. And every time you quit the part-time job of dieting — or even just cut back your hours — your body goes, “Thank god!” and starts storing fat hand over fist. It happens to nearly all of us. I know you’re a woman who’s used to defying odds by quite a lot, but there is no shame in having a body that responds to dieting in exactly the same way as pretty much everyone else’s.
girl_logic
There are great comments on that article. It's absurd that people think like Meme Roth. 'Let's make American teenagers even more depressed and self-conscious by making sure they can't find clothes that fit.' (paraphrasing)
Lilacgypsy1
QUOTE(girl_logic @ Apr 30 2009, 11:40 AM) *
There are great comments on that article. It's absurd that people think like Meme Roth. 'Let's make American teenagers even more depressed and self-conscious by making sure they can't find clothes that fit.' (paraphrasing)

Meme Roth is the President of Action against Obesity ( or some such S*** like that) First protesting that overweight teens shouldn't have nice, fashionable clothes-- what next Meme? Coming after them in the middle of the night with pitchforks and torches? Saying they shouldn't be allowed to live among the beautiful. I hearby declare myself President of The society to stop the rediculous/vain spelling of children's names so they can be "Unique". HEAR THAT MIMI???

As for the designers only designing for the rich and wealthy--actually fashion isn't what is keeping them afloat moneywise, it's the accessories they brand with their name. Bags, scarves, sunglasses, wallets to keychains. Stuff the Average (and horrors non size 10's) are able to scrape their shekles together and buy.

You Go Emme!!! Hey does anyone now where I can get the poster of Emme posing as "Odelisque" (sp?)

Lilacgypsy
stargazer
Yeah, I thought the argument that plus size clothing encourages obesity as being terribly weak. One could argue that size 0 clothing encourages eating disorders. *yawn*

I think the focus on "fat being bad" is not a way to inspire people to get fit. Shame is not a good motivator for change. I think I actually read an article in one of my psych rags about a different approach in body image using health as opposed to a focus on weight to motivate change in behaviors.

When I'm feeling good and accepting of my body, I don't weight myself and I'm more active. I just realized this behavior when I took part in a research project on weight and yoga.
stargazer
One small step for plus size women
candycane_girl
I just read that earlier today star. I think what I like is that, as Jezebel pointed out, Glamour hasn't made a big deal over using plus size models. It's not like "ooh, here's our special section with plus size models" instead they just put them in the magazine. Who knows, maybe after seeing the positive response from readers, other magazines will start to follow suit.

I had actually wanted to come in here to post about something else. I can't remember if I was on Jezebel or another site but someone posted something about size 12 being their "normal" size. Size 12 is also my normal size (although I am not at that size right now). If I were to go any smaller than a 12 it would mean that I'm not eating. And yet in some stores, size 12 is the beginning of plus size. It's no wonder that when I was a 12 I still thought I was fat because all the other girls were a size 2. Maybe it shouldn't bother me but it drives me crazy that my healthy size is considered the beginning of the "fat sizes" by many people. When are we going to realize that women really do come in all shapes and sizes?
auralpoison
Fuck you, PETA!
MadameHooch
CC_girl,I am right there with you. I too am a size 12, and it pisses me off that it's considered a "fat size." And not for nothing , but don't you feel like the magazines are lying sometimes? Have you ever seen before and after pictures in a magazine and the"before" picture shows the girl at a size 12 looking like she was definitely a size 22? I know I am not, nor ever will be, skinny by society's standards, but it's just plain fucked up to take the norm and twist it into something it's not. I also love when I tell a friend I wear a 12 and they make a screwed up face and go "Oh, you're that big? I thought you were smaller than that." ...For some reason, I don't feel flattered.
angie_21
CC and Madame, I vary between size 8 and size 12, depending on the store, but I've gone to a few stores now where their size L is reaally stretching it, and there is no XL. So many of my favorite stores don't even make clothes past a size 12, so I worry a lot more about my weight than I ever have in the past. It pisses me off, because I don't think I'm fat. When I look in the mirror, I know I look curvy, womanly, and healthy. Every once in a while I wonder, maybe that's not what other people always see, if this is really what size I am... I guess in a way I'm lucky to have a smaller chest that makes me look smaller than I really am. but either way, that's their problem. Most people I know are around the same size as me, so mostly it just really does bug me that they don't make clothes for truly "normal" people.
MadameHooch
I LOVE how hardly any brands offer a size XL, but yet do offer an XXS. Ha! No wonder everyone has fucked up body standards! Ladies, let's revolt! hahaha Serioulsy though, what's up with that?!
auralpoison
Has anybody else been keeping abreast of the Kevin Smith/Southwest Airlines kerfuffle? I'd like to say I'm surprised at the virulent anti-fat backlash, but I'm not. People are being downright vicious in their assessment of fat people & traveling. Things like, "put down the fork if you want on the plane" & mentions of "cattle cars" & the like.
pollystyrene
Yeah, Kate Harding had a nice article about it yesterday, as did Jezebel.
auralpoison
Gabby Sidibe looked beautiful tonight on the Oscars. It was nice to see a big girl represent!

Mo'nique & Queen Latifah looked nice, too!
auralpoison
Okay, so Italian Vogue has launched it's Curvy page, this month's French Elle has an absolutely GORGEOUS big girl (Tara Lyn) on the cover as well as a beautiful fashion spread, what have we? Vogue's latest yearly "size" issue. It addresses many fashion concerns *except* for rotund. There is the token "womanly" woman (Which is insulting itself, "womanly" women come in all shapes, bitches!), but that is about it.

I read some excerpts from the big fashion powwow where designers, magazine editors, models, agencies, stylists, healthcare professionals, etc sat down & talked about the unhealthy skinnifying of models & it was just ridiculous. Nobody wanted to own any part of the problem. The designers blamed the magazines, the magazines blamed the agencies, the agencies blamed the designers, EVERYBODY blamed Eastern Europe for having such pretty young girls desperate for a little money post-communism, etc. It seems kinda simple to me. QUIT MAKING YOUR SAMPLES IN A SIZE ZERO, PERIOD. STOP STYLING/PHOTOGRAPHING THE SIZE ZEROS, PERIOD. STOP HIRING TWELVE YEAR OLD RUSSIAN GIRLS THAT MAINTAIN THE SIZE ZEROS BY FUCKING STARVING, PERIOD!
kittenb
But AP, if I've learned nothing from watching PROJECT RUNWAY I have learned that fashoin can only be modeled on walking hangers & hangers don't have curves!

I've had two big "Bad feminist!" moments recently. I've been working out & eating well since January. So why di I see a spot of back fat the other day and actually utter a sound of disgust? About my own body?! I have backfat! I've had it for awhile. To allow myself to be grossed out about myself felt so bad. And today I saw a pic that was taken of me. It was from the side and I was sitting and I swear I barely recognized myself. My normal reaction when I see a pic of myself it NOT to scream "Burn that picture!" but I basically did just that this morning. I looked huge and that made me feel so bad and then I felt worse about feeling bad about feeling fat. Ugh, it is too much pressure.
stargazer
Yay for the Polish! Actual women as models. Not "plus size" models who are just a size 10.

Btw, what term would you prefer...full figured, plus size, BBW, curvy......to describe your shape?
auralpoison
QUOTE(stargazer @ May 8 2010, 10:07 AM) *
Btw, what term would you prefer...full figured, plus size, BBW, curvy......to describe your shape?

This question? Is a politically LOADED one as you only listed "good fat" (= proportionate, "feminine" bodies) terms & not "bad fat" (= rotund, "unattractive" bodies) terms. It's the way popular culture & the media use proportional terms to designate socially acceptable fats & relegate the disproportional fats to the "lazy, gross, etc" people that seems to make any term except "fat" insulting & divisive within the FA community.

Some days I swear if it's not one fat fucking thing, it's another. This is why I don't sit behind my computer bitching with the other fatties about fat stuff: it can make one crazy.

I just usually go with fat. I'm a fat girl. Or fat woman, rather.

There is this thing in the fat activism movement where the (majority of?) women choose to own the word "fat" as a positive thing. They are not zaftig, they are fat, get over it. Often the FA's get upset at the women that use "full-figured, plus-size, BBW, curvy" because those words are distancing since they are usually only applied to the more hourglass figured ladies & not those proportioned more like a Venus of Willendorf or some other varied body type, say a retired footballer.

Fat activism is a tricky fucking place. I'm all for owning your shape & loving yourself & being who you are, but most importantly, I think it's important to be HEALTHY in body, mind, & spirit. The activism thing can get just plain ugly if you aren't. The judging begins, she's too fat/she's not fat enough, who's more oppressed than who (black fat, handicapped fat, etc), blahblahblahblahblah. It gets so bogged down in language that shit gets out of fucking control & the fat lynching boogeyman is everywhere ready to leap out & truss you up for the most minor of language infractions. And we all know my habit of calling 'em like I see 'em isn't really conducive to that kind of thing. I'd be disemvoweled & then banned in no fucking time, ahem, f(l)at. I dipped my toe in it that one time on here & I swore I'd never do it again & I haven't. I have neither nor the time nor the inclination. No matter how much I like making people cry. wink.gif
anarch
QUOTE(auralpoison @ May 10 2010, 11:43 AM) *
"good fat" (= proportionate, "feminine" bodies) terms & not "bad fat" (= rotund, "unattractive" bodies) terms.

This reminds me of someone in the small breast support group thread who pointed out that our culture's small boob celebrities have bodies that still conform, in other ways (every other way, really), to beauty dogma. Proportionate, skinny, etc. Yet there's still massive resistance to even these micro-steps away from the dogma.
stargazer
QUOTE(auralpoison @ May 10 2010, 02:43 PM) *
This question? Is a politically LOADED one as you only listed "good fat" (= proportionate, "feminine" bodies) terms & not "bad fat" (= rotund, "unattractive" bodies) terms. It's the way popular culture & the media use proportional terms to designate socially acceptable fats & relegate the disproportional fats to the "lazy, gross, etc" people that seems to make any term except "fat" insulting & divisive within the FA community.

That's the reason why I asked the question. I'm pretty confused by the types of words being used in our culture. Curvy and voluptuous seem to be very popular right. I understand what you mean about the use of language to adequately capture one's experience with one's connection with one's body.

I will say that I am on the fence about the whole fat acceptance thing. Maybe I shouldn't post that here. Then again, no one really posts much around here anyway. I'm supportive of different body types. At the same time, I do not want to enable to people to not be responsible for one's health and well being. I'm a size 14 and relatively healthy, I like to think. I'm not skinny and I'm not "bad" fat weight. Sure, according to the BMI, my weight and height is considered slightly obese. I guess I am concerned that fat acceptance may encourage people to not take responsibility for one's health and do something different. Then again, I am probably assuming that people want to change and be a healthy weight.

Working with people with health issues, I view this issue from a different perspective, a public health issue. Any feedback would be welcomed about my ambivalence with the fat acceptance movement.
Persiflager
Out of curiosity, do you think fat acceptance has the effect improving or damaging physical health?

I could see it could encourage a lazy/unhealthy attitude (and it looks like that's a common opinion on the internet). Then again, do you think that learning to accept and love your body can lead to people being more in touch with how their body feels, and then eating healthier and taking more exercise because it feels good, rather than because they want to lose weight?

I'd be interested to see research into the impact on long-term physical health.
ketto
I think there's a real misconception still about fat=unhealthy, skinny=healthy. Just reading your post, star, I agree, people should take responsibility for their health, but sometimes that means being overweight AND healthy. More and more you hear about people who are overweight but healthier than slimmer counterparts. And a few weeks ago I heard about a study that found women over 60 were healthier when they were slightly overweight.

A lot of people still rely heavily on the BMI scale too, but both my endo and my GP refuse to use that scale because it's unrealistic. I rate as overweight because I'm 4'11 and 125lbs, but it fails to take into account body type - i have large breasts and a very curvy body but I would absolutely say I'm average. I wear size 2-4 pants, a 30E bra, and size xs shirts so...meanwhile, to get my BMI to fall right in the middle of the healthy scale I would have to lose 20 pounds - I don't even think that's possible. At my slimmist, which was quite slim, I still weighed 115.

I would think fat acceptance, at least in the movements I saw around my university (although I'm 2 years out), was a way to encourage people to take responsibility for our own health. But as I understand it, the fat acceptance movement is also there to make the point that you CAN be overweight and healthy and it's not anyone's business but your own.

My 7 year old niece is a bit overweight, she always has been, but I can already see how badly she feels about her body sometimes. My brother feeds her really healthy foods and she likes to get involved in the kitchen, he actually told her the car was broken so they ride their bikes everywhere, and pretty much all she does is play outside with friends. But when he was still with his ex-wife they got very lazy and ate a lot of junk food - my niece was 3 at that time and gained a fair bit of weight that has never really come off. We went swimming at a wading pool when she was 5 and another little girl told her she had a big tummy. She was really embarrassed about it and we were both wearing bikini's so I stuck out my tummy and said, "I have a big one too and I think we both have beautiful tummy's". Sometimes she tells me older girls at school have made comments and it's heartbreaking. A friend of mine volunteers doing talks with elementary school students talking about healthy body image - she had an eating disorder in high school and when she started volunteering with this program she just seemed to realize how ridiculous the restrictions she'd placed on herself were. She loves talking to students about how to love and accept their body, no matter what size they are. A report I read last year here said that kids as young as 5 are developing eating disorders. It's just terrifying to me how much pressure is out there to be THIN THIN THIN when thin and healthy aren't necessarily the same thing.
stargazer
QUOTE(Persiflager @ May 12 2010, 03:12 AM) *
Then again, do you think that learning to accept and love your body can lead to people being more in touch with how their body feels, and then eating healthier and taking more exercise because it feels good, rather than because they want to lose weight?

Persi, what you described is actually being researched and support in the weight management movement in primary care in the States. They are discovering the less emphasis people place on numbers and more on the connection of how one feels with movement, exercise, change in eating habits...an individual may be encouraged and motivated to continue with the new behaviors.

Ketto, I agree that I think medicine is still trying to determine what is considered a healthy weight. Does one look at the number of ailments and/or medications one is taking to determine health? I guess to look at it from the medical perspective that they are trying to gauge a weight, not so much to inflict guilt or negative perspectives about one's body, but, to be preventative in a person's health. In a way, the fat acceptance movement is helpful in encouraging us to look at different body types as being representative of health. I think it is great that you are encouraging your niece to appreciate her body.
kittenb
I think that the idea of Fat Acceptance can be great but I wish that there was more conversation in that movement about "health at any size." Maybe there is and I just missed it. However, a few years ago I went to a discussion lead by a Fat Acceptance advocate and I feel like the whole conversation became a celebration about being unhealthy. The speaker actually said that she could not be friends with anyone who dieted. At that point I had just lost weight doing South Beach for reasons both cosmetic and physical and I felt really judged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.