Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to Hogwarts--The Harry Potter Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
ImDancingBarefoot
Thanks for posting the articles, roseviolet.

Heard about the Encyclopedia. I am so excited. Finished Book 7 a few days after it's release but only now found this thread. Don't know how to block things out so . . . yeah. I'm bummed it's over. I do have Magical Creatures and the Quidditch books that I have yet to read. And there are still the movies.

I thought the woman playing Dolores Umbridge was perfect. I pictured her a little rounder, but she was played . . . absolutely hatefully. She was perfect. I kept wanting to throw things at the screen.

Any knitters in this thread may want to check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Charmed-Knits-Projec...1615&sr=1-1

Saw a few wand making tutorials and some other neat Harry Potter crafts. Didn't really get to get crafty for the book release and movie (stupid life getting in the way of Harry Potter!) but there are two more movies coming!
snow white
roseviolet, i mean do the movie characters measure up to the characters you imagined? honestly to me, the movies have always felt pretty "off", Prisoner of Azkaban was the only movie i actually got into (so far). the only movie characters i find to be utterly perfect are bellatrix and snape (like i said before). anyway, i've always wondered how other potter fans felt about the movies.

imdancing, delores umbridge was excellent, the woman who played her was also in "sense and sensability" and played a total pill. i guess she's good at that.

it took me two days to read the 7th book (i hightailed my ass out the door first thing to get that book!), i'm disappointed it's over but it was a great ride.
kittenb
I'm with you. Despite a very talented cast the movies have never measured up to the books. I blame the directors. They have yet to find the right balance b/w too much info from the book (movie 1) and too little info from the book (movie 5.)
Callani
I think what the directors have done is to tell the story to people who might not read the books. It'd be impossible to get every single detail right, especially since so much changes from one reader to the next. For example Luna in the movies is exactly how I pictured her but loads of people think she'd completely wrong.
Of course the other major problem with making the films is that they're being made for children and so they leave out loads of details to "keep it interesting".
Ok, that's my two pence. biggrin.gif
bunnyb
Jim Broadbent is going to be Slughorn in The Half Blood Prince!

Now they just have to cast Stephen Fry as Scrimgeour.
pollystyrene
Was anyone really surprised by this?
roseviolet
The issue had never entered my mind. Honestly, I've looked at the teachers the same way students do - just ignoring the idea that they may have any sexual desires at all (Eeeeeeeew! Gross! wink.gif ).

I am THRILLED to hear that Jim Broadbent is joining the cast! He's fabulous!
kittenb
I just saw that! I am with RV in that I don't normally think of the teachers in that way (esp. Snape, sorry fanfic writers rolleyes.gif ). But I think it is great.
Now, admittedly, Rowling waited long enough for the "big reveal" and it's not like it can hurt sales now or anything, but it is still kind of cool.
It does, unfortunelty, reinforce the tendency to make any gay character the victim of tragic love, but I'll take what I can get.

(I think my spelling skills fell out of my head while I spelt last night, or something.)
pollystyrene
I guess I just picked up on it, and thought, "this is like a Tennessee Williams character!" (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, specifically) laugh.gif
kaylafresh
Have you guys heard of any of the Harry Potter Bands? Some are so awesome. Whomping Willows comes to mind, an all girl band called Parcel Mouth and Remus Lupin -- I assume they all have My Space pages. I know Whomping Willows has a song that goes, "Harry and Draco sitting in a tree, S-N-O-G-G-I-N-G." He's outting Harry!!! Hilarious.
MoonDancer
Roseviolet thank you for posting the articles. I haven't read any of the online stuff about the book and my friends and I had a very complicated discussion about whether Harry and Voldemort were related. They didn't believe me and this article proves it.
lananans
Has anyone listened to the Harry Potter audio books? I've been listening to the Deathly Hallows on my iPod as I walk to class, its pretty cool. Its also nice at night to listen to before I go to sleep, and I pick up on a lot that maybe I didn't notice before. The narrator's voice is just so sooothing, its awesome.
kittenb
I had a dream last night that JK Rowling and I sat down and had a long talk about her current lawsuit about the new HP encyclopedia from the Harry Potter Lexicon.

And did you know that she only published under the name JK instead of Joanne b/c her publishers were afraid that boys wouldn't read a book written by a woman? I feel like I need to start calling her Joanne Rowling now just to make it even but I know her as JK.
Miss Deena
I have all the books on audio because I don't have much time to sit and read so this works out perfect for me. Plus I love the sound of the different voices.
lananans
I agree, the voices are awesome. The narrator does such a good job. I'm now on the third audiobook, still pretty good. And I feel like I notice something new every time, keeps things interesting.
culturehandy
I've heard that the audio books are absolutely fantastic.
Miss Deena
The audio books are very good! But I have read all the books at least once for myself. What I really enjoy about the voices is that they can really put a different spin on a story you thought you knew.
roseviolet
I just heard that the final Harry Potter book will be broken down into TWO movies! Wee!!!
lananans
I heard that too! I'm very excited for the remaining movies. I think they get better as the series goes on... but in my opinion so did the books so I guess that makes sense, haha.
Miss Deena
I have to say that the third movie and book were very well done. I have to wonder a bit about the fourth both were not my favorite, I did enjoy them! It is getting much harder to fit the story lines into movies without losing the whole picture. I have been very happy with them thus far and I am very excited to see the next ones

StarLightBright
QUOTE(Miss Deena @ Apr 1 2008, 09:17 AM) *
I have to say that the third movie and book were very well done. I have to wonder a bit about the fourth both were not my favorite, I did enjoy them! It is getting much harder to fit the story lines into movies without losing the whole picture. I have been very happy with them thus far and I am very excited to see the next ones

I totally agree with you
but for me they just butchered the 4th movie, don't get me wrong, i still loved it, but they left so much out of it
but i think they should have split it into two movies like they are doing the 7th movie
damona
wait, they are finally getting smart and making the seventh book into a 2-parter?? wow, too bad they didn't do that starting with the 4th book. i really hated the 4th movie. the book was good, but they completely butchered it for the movie. they left so much out!!
Miss Deena
I know some people who only really like the books up until the third book. I have to say that I really started to crave them after the third book came out. I waited up till midnight to get my 7th book with a bunch of other wizards, lol It was an experiance to say the least.
StarLightBright
I didn't even read the books 1-3, i stood till about 2am to get my 7th book.
but i did read on yahoo that they were splitting the movie into
two parts, which they were going to do for the 4th, but didn't have the budget.
but hopefully its true, i mean they should go out with a bang! on the last one.
pollystyrene
They're sticking with the director who did #5 for #6 & #7. I'm not too unhappy about it, but I wish they'd let Joss Whedon do #7. That would have been great.
tesao
oooooooooooo. Joss Whedon. frelling fantastic, that would be!

(didn't know that they didn't have the budget to split book 4 into 2 parts - rather hard to believe given the astronomical popularity of the franchise!)

does anyone know who they are getting to play the "muggle" who meets the minister of magic (perhaps the Prime Minister, can't remember)

i'm just happy that they have gotten the "kids" to sign on for the rest. it's been perfect, what with them growing and maturing as they characters have. may be bad for their future acting careers, but hard to tell at this point. Daniel seems to be making a go of it.

have heard rumors that Robbie won't be back as Hagrid. someone please tell me that those rumors are unfounded????
damona
how could they have hagrid without robbie coltrane??????? it's just not possible! i mean, i know they got a new dumbledore and all that, but somehow that wasn't such a big deal, at least, not to me. but no robbie??? say it ain't so, tes!
pollystyrene
Half-Blood Prince is listed on his IMDB page. Nothing about Deathly Hallows, yet.

I know there's been rumors about Alan Rickman being upset about not having enough face time in the later movies, but so far he keeps coming back. It would suck if they lost Snape!
lunia666
No AR has Snape that would very much suck sad.gif All though I have to agree that is role has been cut short since the first movie. I was kind of shocked by since Snape plays a major role to the last few books.
KryanCat
Is anyone here doing the HP FanTrips Quest thing? I've never done an "internet quest" but it's all starting to look fairly intruiging. Mostly because I'm bored, but partly because I jump at the chance to geek out about Harry Potter with like-minded folks.
culturehandy
Harry Potter actor killed.
Sound Of Vision
ohmy.gif

And omg omg omg, movie is coming out in few months!! I can't believe it!! As much as I'm looking forward to it, that means there's only one more left sad.gif

And if anyone is interested in photos from the movie Click
kittenb
Didn't they decide that Book 7 would be two movies? So that means there are two movies after this next one. smile.gif

Have I mentioned that I have a wicked hot crush on Lucious Malfoy? In the movie, not the book. Well, I've found a new way to satisfy my Jason Issacs lust. It is a BBC mini series called The State Within. I highly recommend it. It is an espionage drama that I got from Netfix.
Sound Of Vision
QUOTE(kittenb @ Jun 6 2008, 04:46 PM) *
Didn't they decide that Book 7 would be two movies? So that means there are two movies after this next one. smile.gif

Have I mentioned that I have a wicked hot crush on Lucious Malfoy? In the movie, not the book. Well, I've found a new way to satisfy my Jason Issacs lust. It is a BBC mini series called The State Within. I highly recommend it. It is an espionage drama that I got from Netfix.

OMG OMG OMG OMG Jason!! *drooools* That man is so hot HOT! Did you watch interviews with him? On youtube? He's so fun and crazy!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Also he's one of the reasons I love Malfoys in slashfiction tongue.gif

<33333333333333

Gosh, I'm total fangirl!!! tongue.gif
pollystyrene
There's a trailer for Half-Blood Prince now! You'll need Quicktime to watch it.

Ooo, looks so scary!
tesao
has anyone else heard that the next movie has been delayed a year?

*wrings hands* mad.gif
bunnyb
Yes, until next JULY!
tesao
WAH

so hoping that it wasn't true.

did they say why? are they going to combine the 2 movies?
bunnyb
They won't combine but there will be less of a gap between it and the next.

This is what I read, although it doesn't say much.
tesao
well, boo.

i hope that the actors all reprise their roles and that they don't look too old ...... so that TPTB decide to replace them.

aaaaaaaaaaaand that no one else dies. i've just gotten used to this dumbledore.
likeanyother
Well that stinks! I just saw a preview for it last night before the Clone Wars (not worth your time btw) and at the end of the preview it said "November 2008", which got me all excited. What a tease!?!?! I can't wait a whole year! Boohiss sad.gif
jsmith
Hm..
I read somewhere that the director (I think it was the director) is worried that the forthcoming movies will flop, since there are to be no more book releases. That surprises me. I can't imagine that any Potter movies would flop.
stargazer
i just watched this trailer. gosh. not sure how i will make it 'til july.
bunnyb
Wow, that looks amazing. I really wish it was being released this month, as it was supposed to be.
kittenb
I love seeing Hermione pop Harry on the head for being smug about being "The Chosen One." That's what a friend would do. biggrin.gif
thirtiesgirl
I think I need to re-read the book. It's been so long since I've read it, nothing from the preview struck a chord.
bunnyb
Hey thought I'd share a very funny Harry Potter centred excerpt from www.bash.org.
It's an oldie but I remembered it over the weekend, when hanging out with zoya and mornington (I read it aloud and much laughter ensued).

It takes the form of a messenger conversation:

<JonJonB> Purely in the interests of science, I have replaced the word "wand" with "wang" in the first Harry Potter Book
<JonJonB> Let's see the results...

<JonJonB> "Why aren't you supposed to do magic?" asked Harry.
<JonJonB> "Oh, well -- I was at Hogwarts meself but I -- er -- got expelled, ter tell yeh the truth. In me third year. They snapped me wang in half an' everything

<JonJonB> A magic wang... this was what Harry had been really looking forward to.

<JonJonB> "Yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. Harry Potter." It wasn't a question. "You have your mother's eyes. It seems only yesterday she was in here herself, buying her first wang. Ten and a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wang for charm work."
<JonJonB> "Your father, on the other hand, favored a mahogany wang. Eleven inches. "

<JonJonB> Harry took the wang. He felt a sudden warmth in his fingers. He raised the wang above his head, brought it swishing down through the dusty air and a stream of red and gold sparks shot from the end like a firework, throwing dancing spots of light on to the walls

<JonJonB> "Oh, move over," Hermione snarled. She grabbed Harry's wang, tapped the lock, and whispered, 'Alohomora!"

<JonJonB> The troll couldn't feel Harry hanging there, but even a troll will notice if you stick a long bit of wood up its nose, and Harry's wang had still been in his hand when he'd jumped - it had gone straight up one of the troll's nostrils.

<JonJonB> He bent down and pulled his wang out of the troll's nose. It was covered in what looked like lumpy gray glue.

<JonJonB> He ran onto the field as you fell, waved his wang, and you sort of slowed down before you hit the ground. Then he whirled his wang at the dementors. Shot silver stuff at them.

<JonJonB> Ok
<JonJonB> I have found, definitive proof
<JonJonB> that J.K Rowling is a dirty DIRTY woman, making a fool of us all
<JonJonB> "Yes," Harry said, gripping his wang very tightly, and moving into the middle of the deserted classroom. He tried to keep his mind on flying, but something else kept intruding.... Any second now, he might hear his mother again... but he shouldn't think that, or he would hear her again, and he didn't want to... or did he?
<melusine > O_______O
<JonJonB> Something silver-white, something enormous, erupted from the end of his wang

<JonJonJonB> Then, with a sigh, he raised his wang and prodded the silvery substance with its tip.

<JonJonJonB> 'Get - off - me!' Harry gasped. For a few seconds they struggled, Harry pulling at his uncles sausage-like fingers with his left hand, his right maintaining a firm grip on his raised wang.
rudderlesschild
Oh. Em. Gee.

This may, in fact, be the funniest fucking thing I have ever read in my life.
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

roseviolet
Bunny, Sheff and I are watching "Chamber of Secrets" at this very moment. The occasional comment about Ron's broken wand has taken on a whole new meaning!

That trailer for the next film looks SO fabulous! I can't wait!
bunnyb
A little bit more high-brow than my last post in this thread, I'm sharing this.

I'm very happy with my UK children editions but if these were on the market then I would be very tempted as I love the era of book designs the artist pastiches. I'm a fan of classic Penguins and these would fit in with that style; he is eventually going to offer prints as there has been such a demand for the book covers, which don't exist.

I am really looking forward to seeing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, it's been too long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.