Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Breakup Music
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The Mating Game
Pages: 1, 2
vnoa3
"Prayer to God" by Shellac
zoya
Quicksand - the album "Manic Compression." Every song on there.
john
"69 Love Songs" by The Magnetic Fields. There's, like, 69 different songs so there's always one that fits!
sassygrrl
John, I have to totally agree with you on Magnetic Fields. Great box set. :-) For all types of stages of love in my personal opinion.
amazing_bass
"Love Hurts", by Nazareth, is totally heart-wrenching.

Another one is "A Whiter Shade of Pale", which was performed by many artists, and I don't know who originated it. I dated a girl once who really liked this kind of music (classic rock), and I always think of her when I hear it.
emtee
procul harem did whiter shade of pale- and yes, it rocks.
sassygrrl
wow... "whiter shade of pale" does rock.... :-)
thaid
Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah"
LoveChild
jem's "missing you" (makes me bawl like a baby)

director's "reconnect" (makes me want to pick up the phone...may not be a good thing...but still an awesome song)

the white stripes "i just don't know what to do with myself" (makes me feel alittle better, actually)

((my top three anyway...too many to choose from. that's alittle sad))
sassygrrl
Lately "I'm not ready to make nice" by Dixie Chicks. And "I'm with Stupid" by the Pet Shops Boy. Anything by Ani or Liz phair. Or Magnetic fields.
Owl_Gang_Girl
96 tears by the stranglers or Hedonism (just because you feel good) by Skunk anansie are class in fact anything on the Album Stoosh is good for break ups with special note of Glorious pop song if only for the line "You're still a fucker, you're still a fucker, you're still a fucker to me" sung in a cheerful sing songy voice. Wonderful!
Xxxx.
mr_falljackets
Every time I hear "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" by Dylan I think of my ex and things I would have said to her if I hadn't been so concerned about managing a civil exit strategy.
girlygirlgag
Liz Phair- The Divorce Song
Jeff Buckley- Last Goodbye
James- Laid
sassygrrl
Heh. Was just listening to Jeff and Liz last night, those two songs!
LoveChild
"don't think twice it's alright" and "i'm not ready to make nice" are two really good songs. hopefully ill have time to see bob dylan in concert this summer! smile.gif
auralpoison
Lovechild, are you waiting for the van to come? Have you ever heard Johnny Cash's "Don't Think Twice It's Alright"? Two completely different tracks, but I like the idea that "the pistol is the devil's right hand."

Pumping Jeff Buckley through my brain right now. I can sing "Last Goodbye" note for note.
yuefie
A good friend made me a great break up song compilation which includes:
  • "Bullet Proof Soul" ~Sade
  • "Get Out Of My House" ~ Kate Bush
  • "Caught Out There" ~ Kelis
  • "The Man That Got Away" ~ Jeff Buckley
  • "Bye Bye Baby" ~Janis Joplin
  • "One Of My Turns" ~ Pink Floyd
  • "Can't Cry Anymore" ~ Sheryl Crow
  • "Uncomplicated" ~ Elvis Costello
  • "Don't Come Around" ~ Macy Gray
  • "Blue Orchid" ~ White Stripes
  • "Independence Day" ~ Ani DiFranco
  • "Love Will Tear Us Apart" ~ Joy Division
  • "It's Too Late" ~ Carole King
  • "How's It Gonna Be" ~ Third Eye Blind
  • "I Used To Love Him" ~ Lauryn Hill
  • "You're Breaking My Heart" ~ Harry Nilsson
  • "Bitter Pill" & "Why" ~ Annie Lennox
  • "Narcissus" & "Not The Doctor" ~ Alanis Morrisette
  • "End Of The Day" "Guess I'm Doing Fine" & "Lost Cause" ~ Beck
  • "Billy The Kid", "Damage You've Done", "Change The Locks", "Hope You Never" ~ Tom Petty
  • "Strange", "Tear In Your Hand", "Parasol", "Mother Revolution", & "Putting The Damage On" ~ Tori Amos
I also love listening to Tool and Nine Inch Nails when I'm getting over having my heart stomped on. I'm usually way more of a pissed off hurt than a "woe is me" kind.

sassygrrl
Yuefie, I so need you to burn me that cd!!
crazyoldcatlady
yeah, i second sassy... which reminds me, where is the "bust mixtape swaparoo" thread? it's been a while
Sststststutter
in february my roommate's boyfriend is leaving for the navy and she's pretty upset about it, so i thought i'd make her two cds- one she can wallow in her misery too, and another one that has a more optomistic edge that would hopefully cheer her up. i'm going to name the first cd something like "heartbreak" and i'd like to name the cheerier cd something that corresponding, but i'm having trouble thinging of a good name. Any ideas? I'd also love suggestions for either cd. thanks!
bella coola
Wow Stutter, what a thoughtful friend you are!! I love generating ideas, so I'll be happy to do that and share them with you.

For the optimistic cd I'd suggest: 'Life Goes On', mm.. 'You Can Do It!' or maybe 'Like He Was Really That Great Anyway' (ha, just kidding). What about, simply: 'Smile' or 'Keep Smiling'? 'Don't Cry Because It's Over, Smile Because It Happened'

I don't know I'm a big sap, all sorts of ideas! I'll think about songs for you, if you like my ideas!

Re: yuefie's song list - do y'all think that Tori Amos must have had the most break ups?
edingirl
For a really bitter break-up and I've just been there

Feel a Whole Lot Better by The Byrds
Kamakaze by PJ Harvey
Ciou by Lush
Ladykillers by Lush
That last song has four verses describing different men and I think all of my exes is one of them!
spazmatazz
i can't think of a single breakup that one or every jawbreaker record didn't get me through.
treelizard
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right. I prefer the Joan Baez version but Dylan is good too. Anything by Ani DiFranco and the Indigo Girls, which I listen to constantly. Maybe that's why I'm single.
falljackets
treelizard, you are so right. when i left my asshat ex-husband, a very good friend (ahem, mrfj i'm looking at you) had made me a mixtape (awwwww!) with don't think twice on it. i sang that song so many times on my way up to ga to stay with my parents. it was such a completely freeing song for me.

like, "hey, it's cool. you're an asshat, but i'm outta here, bud".

thanks for reminding me of that.
emtee
Plea From a Cat Named Virtue- the Weakerthans
faerietails
Martha Wainwright - Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole (I loooooove this song!)
The Mountain Goats - No Children
Fiona Apple - Get Gone
Franz Ferdinand - Walk Away
PJ Harvey - Sheela-Na-Gig
Holly Golightly - You Ain't No Big Thing
Camera Obscura - If Looks Could Kill
Madonna - Sorry
Sleater-Kinney - Steep Air
White Stripes - There's No Home For You Here
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mysteries

And if you're a pissed off, System of a Down's "Needles" and PJ Harvey's "Who the Fuck?"
grenadine
i heart the mountain goats. although i'm just perverse enough to think that's a love song.

my all-time favourite breakup song: "i used to say i love you," by robyn hitchcock. it was impossible to find for a while, but now it's on the reissue vinyl of "i often dream of trains"...and it contains these immortal lines:

i used to say i love you
it wasn't what i meant
what i really meant was
come on in my tent...

nickclick
i'm so ashamed. i was listening to the 24/7 xmas music station in the car last nite, and heard Dan Fogelberg's Same Old Lang Syne and criiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied my eyes out just imagining the fictional future meeting with my ex. i'm such a sap. kill me please.

Met my old lover in the grocery store
The snow was falling Christmas Eve
I stole behind her in the frozen foods
And I touched her on the sleeve
She didn't recognize the face at first
But then her eyes flew open wide
She went to hug me and she spilled her purse
And we laughed until we cried

We took her groceries to the checkout stand
The food was totalled up and bagged
We stood there lost in our embarrassment
As the conversation dragged
We went to have ourselves a drink or two
But couldn't find an open bar
We bought a six-pack at the liquor store
And we drank it in her car

We drank a toast to innocence, we drank a toast to now
And tried to reach beyond the emptiness but neither one knew how

She said she'd married her an architect
Who kept her warm and safe and dry
She would have liked to say she loved the man
But she didn't like to lie
I said the years had been a friend to her
And that her eyes were still as blue
But in those eyes I wasn't sure if I saw doubt or gratitude
She said she saw me in the record stores
And that I must be doing well
I said the audience was heavenly but the traveling was hell

We drank a toast to innocence, we drank a toast to now
And tried to reach beyond the emptiness but neither one knew how
We drank a toast to innocence, we drank a toast to time
Reliving in our eloquence, another 'auld lang syne'

The beer was empty and our tongues were tired
And running out of things to say
She gave a kiss to me as I got out and I watched her drive away
Just for a moment I was back at school
And felt that old familiar pain
And as I turned to make my way back home
The snow turned in to rain...
anna k
I'd hate it if I was dumped, turned on the radio, and Cinderella's "Don't Know What You've Got (Till It's Gone)" started playing.
monamanhattan
Owen- Never Meant.
Helped me through far too many breakups..
winterscloak
What, no country?

Bring on the Rain -- JoDee Messina
It's Not Right -- Whitney Houston
Better Than You -- Terri Clark

Got to agree, Rufus Wainwright Hallelujah is pretty damn amazing.
chickenlittle
Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah kills Rufus', sorry. smile.gif
sassygrrl
Yes, agree with you chickenlittle. Buckley always trumps Rufus. Both are great though.

Here's a few because I'm in a fight with Mcgeek.

Scissor Sisters, "Kiss off"
Ani Difranco "Untouchable Face"
Jeff Buckley "Mama, you been on my mind"
Fiona Apple "Paper Bag"
Liz Phair "Divorce Song."

whitelightning
steve earle - "goodbye"
cowboy junkies - "sun comes up, it's tuesday morning"
go to blazes - "and i'll be hating you" and "bad cup of coffee"
townes van zandt - "come tomorrow" (this one's for when you need to induce the tears)
magnetic fields - "i don't want to get over you"
maria mckee - "love is like a red dress"
Arcadia
Fortunately, I haven't had a romantic breakup in a while but I have enough of the music to last me a lifetime.
Now I use it for the breakup I had with my best male friend just recently.

"Left and Leaving" by The Weakerthans.
"Hopeless" by Train.
"Simple Together" by Alanis Morissette ( this is probably one of the saddest songs I have ever heard ).
"I Loved You, So What" by Ani Difranco
"I Will Follow You Into The Dark" and "Transatlanticism" by Death Cab For Cutie.
"Don't Forget Me" by Way Out West.
"Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol.
"Girlfriend" by Eve 6.
"Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Susanna and the Magical Orchestra.
"World Spins Madly On" by The Weepies.
"The World At Large" by Modest Mouse.

There are so many more.
I am actually thinking of making a playlist on my iPod of sad breakup music because sometimes you just need to listen to that kind. It's usually soft and slow, which can be good to calm me down, ironically.
jami
a few fav verses...

Goodnight My Love

goodnight my love goodnight
I hope the bed bugs bite
I hope your dreams are filled with guilt
and classrooms you can’t find

just rest your head in my loving arms
as soon as you start to fade
I’ll take the few locks you still have on that head
and cut them all away

you should have not ever lied to me
goodnight my love
sleep tight

~Jill Sobule~
AnodeCathode
Hey everyone,

I found this forum as I was googling "Breakup Music" and the listings here were perfect. I hunted down virtually every song referenced here. My wife and I just separated after many years and I'm finding it hard. Thought that a huge pile of breakup music might help force the sobbing to an end. In any case, I sit and hug my dog and listen to the tunes you recommended.

I'm getting the impression I'm probably lacking a particular chromosome to fit in here, but the music just fit the state I'm in, so I registered so I could post my thanks.

If I could add a tune, I'd guess it'd be Squeeze - Another Nail for My Heart

Thanks again,

AnodeCathode (sometimes Anode, sometimes Cathode, not often both)
laurenann
i'm not listening to this playlist as often as i was when we first broke up, but it's still on my frequent rotation. it's a mix of old and new stuff, a lot of bands that i used to be really into when we first met and all. the order is important to me, it kinda goes through what i'm feeling. i also like to pretend that the first wilco song and the willie nelson song are from his point of view. anyway, here it is:

the world has turned and left me here - weezer
please be patient with me - wilco
always on my mind - willie nelson
sea anemone - jets to brazil
the district sleeps alone tonight - the postal service
the last last one - the weakerthans (they have so many good ones)
butterfly - weezer
hate it here - wilco (the last album had a few good, sad songs)
none of the above - the weakerthans
the last lie i told - saves the day
polar opposites - modest mouse
no love - the get up kids
wake up alone - amy winehouse
i don't mind if you forget me - morrissey
if i ever feel better - phoenix

now i need some good moving on music!
crazyoldcatlady
Welcome, AnodeCathode! Sorry to hear about your circumstances, but welcome to the forum, XY or not smile.gif You should drop by the Newbie thread and introduce yourself. I speak mostly for myself, but I think most BUSTies here welcome the male perspective on anything in our forum.

I like pilfering the songs listed here, not necessarily for breakup purposes, but sometimes I just wanna sit and drink tea and think of The Way We Were. wink.gif
lux
Welcome AC!

Martha Wainwright works, maybe a bit too well. And The Blow, if i just skip the happy songs. The Long list of Girls from them is on repeat at the moment.
Mainly i just try to listen to MY music, music that we never listened to together. No memories of her there.
I guess i'm still in denial about the whole situation
Stacy Wayne Gacy
"Nobody's Baby Now" by Nick Cave, and "I'm Through with Love" by Nat King Cole.
Kalevra
I am still loving, and hating..

Iron & Wine's Trapeze Swinger...

snarky7
not often a country listener nowadays, but they have the best breakup songs i think - like:

Tonight I Wanna Cry - Keith Urban
Crazy - Patsy Cline
Easy Come, Easy Go - George Strait
I don't - Danielle Peck
Give It Away - George Strait
Every Light in the House is On - Trace Atkins
Riding for a Fall - Chris LeDoux
Please Remember - LeAnn Rimes (Coyote Ugly soundtrack)
I Can't Love You Anymore - Gary Nichols
You Can't Make A Heart Love Somebody - George Strait
I'm Movin' On - Rascal Flatts
A Bad Goodbye - Clint Black with Wynona
What She's Doing Now - Garth Brooks
shinyx3
ohh snarky, i love "easy come easy go" and haven't thought of that is a long time.
Moonpieluv
I dig the new Feist album-the Reminder.
Second and Third track.

Some of the songs are nostalgic, as well. But breakup is a wax and wane. Sometimes we're cool with it, oft times not. A process.

Any Neko Case. For love and empowerment. rolleyes.gif
Typewriter

Moonpieluv, I've got to agree with you on the Fiest and Neko Case. Excellent choices.

When I split with a guy back in March, I listened to Amy Millan's album Honey From the Tombs over and over. It was heartbreaking, but also comforting. Sometimes you've got to get all of the sappy, "come back to me" kind of songs out of the way before you can do much else.
I also listened to:
"Infinity" by Merrick
"Can't Complain" by Nickel Creek (which had fitting lyrics for the relationship I had been in)
"Cold Days From the Birdhouse" by The Twilight Sad
"What Can I Say" by Brandi Carlile
"Natural Disaster" by Joel Plaskett
"Anthems For a Seventeen Year-Old Girl" and "Lover's Spit" by Broken Social Scene
"Not Dark Yet" by Bob Dylan,
and a bunch of Mark Kozelek.

Once I'd had my time to cry and wallow in bed (for four days, I was almost completely immobile!) ... I eventually moved on and listened to music that was bitter about relationships. Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill will always be good for this. Then the fun, upbeat "moving on" songs were the next step, and before I knew it, I was healed. "Whatever Gets You Through Today" is a great one by The Radio.
Moonpieluv
oh and I'm sure somebody has mentioned this one...

Sea Change-Beck.

Hit the Road Jack-Ray Charles... haha.

Typewriter.... yeah. I like Broken Social Scene..is it the song with the chorus that goes "He'll never be what you want him to be! NO! NO!"?

so good.
NocturnalCatie
snarky: you forgot "sad songs and waltzes" or for the regretful "always on my mind"
Willie Nelson can write a damn good break up song....
laurenann
i'm ready for some moving on songs. any suggestions?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.