Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i am gonna miss 'em....(the so and so just died thread)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
pollystyrene
Paul Gleason, the actor who played the principal in The Breakfast Club died at the age of 67. He had mesothelioma, that cancer linked to asbestos.

"Don't mess with the bull, young man. You'll get the horns."
mandolyn
man, i just read that. he was also in trading places and die hard. he always played the asshole villain, didn't he?
ginger_kitty
That is sad. :-(
polly_esther
Seriously? Nobody, not a person here, has mentioned the death of Aaron Spelling? Is this bizarro Bust?
pollystyrene
I mentioned it in Celebrity Gossip- weird mix of people who died over the weekend- Aaron Spelling, the son of the billionaire who was married to Anna Nicole who was fighting with her for the $ and JonBenet Ramsey's mother.

Like I said in C.G., they come in threes!
girlbomb_redux
Fucking Patsy Ramsey, I hated that woman. I was hoping she'd at least confess on her deathbed.
pollystyrene
Like I posted in C.G., the daughter of a friend of my family is a criminologist for the FBI- she's said since day one that the parents did it, given the murder method, the family dynamic and the way they acted after it happened.
raisingirl
No shit, GB.
mouse
DARWIN'S TURTLE!!! nooooooo....

RIP harriet
pollystyrene
Moose, the dog who plyed Eddie on Frasier, died. He was 16 years old. :-( He was so cute!
walkingbitch
wow I just read about Paul Gleason... so sad...
"Does Barry Manilow know you raided his closet?"

or is it wardrobe?
auralpoison
June Allyson died. She was very popular in the 40's/50's but most will know her as the Depends adult diaper pitcher.
sixelacat
I'm so sad about June! I'd forgotten about the Depends commercials. I'll always remember her in the first movie I saw her in, "The Glenn Miller Story". She was always the sweet stoic wife....
girlygirlgag
Syd Barrett (Pink Floyd) died.
yuefie
RIP Syd, you crazy diamond.
mandolyn
"In 1975, during the recording of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" album, Barrett showed up unannounced at the studio -- ironically, during the recording of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," a song about him. He had become overweight and shaved his eyebrows; the other members didn't recognize him at first.

"Wish You Were Here" was dedicated to Barrett."

i always thought "comfortably numb" was for syd.

two of my most favorite songs in the universe.

i am genuinely sad about his passing.
Divala
*crying* RIP, Syd. You were amazing. I wish I could say more, but Pink Floyd is my *absolute favorite* band of all time. This is such a huge loss.
auralpoison
RIP Mickey Spillane. You were a hardboiled gem.
halcyon
Gerard Oury, director of such masterpieces as "The Mad Adventures of Rabbi Jacob," has died. Aww. I love that movie.
ratgrl
Jack Warden. He sure had a long acting career!
bunnyb
Bruno Kirby died sad.gif. He made me laugh so hard in When Harry Met Sally and City Slickers.
sassygrrl
"You made a woman meow...??" smile.gif Ha! He'll be missed.....
anoushh
God, I used to LOVE him. We used to see movies b/c he was in them rather that whoever the "star" was supposed to be. He was always so funny! That's sad. sad.gif
auralpoison
He was just on an eppie of Entourage. Bummer.
pollystyrene
I know, I was so sad about Bruno Kirby....I felt so old when I found out City Slicker's came out in 1991...I saw that in the theater!
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Aug 16 2006, 10:22 AM) *

Bruno Kirby died sad.gif. He made me laugh so hard in When Harry Met Sally and City Slickers.

This makes me sooo sad:(

I liked his wagon wheel coffee table.
mr_falljackets
Bruno was in one of my favorite movies nobody's ever seen - Albert Brook's "Modern Romance".

"Petey!"
cstars124
Bruno was also the nasty perve coach in "Basketball Diaries". I really liked him. That's sad. sad.gif
sassygrrl
I remember Modern Romance! Must go rent it again. smile.gif
anoushh
Yeah, I loved him in Modern Romance, too. He used to be on Letterman and such and he came off as such a funny, and just nice guy.
brett
the crocodile hunter, steve irwin.

link

crikey. sad.gif
lucizoe
Oh, man, brett!! that sucks!!

Stabbed through the chest with a stingray barb...wow. His daughter is less than two years old, isn't she?

Now I'm depressed. I loved him...
sixelacat
Holy shit. By a stingray no less. He was so YOUNG. ohmy.gif
pollystyrene
I feel bad for his daughter and wife (and family, friends, etc.) but the guy always really annoyed me. He seemed to be one step away from being the Grizzly Man- very knowledgeable and in his own mind, repectful of animals, but to me he just seemed to annoy them. I mean, whether wild or raised in captivity, they're still wild, undomesticated animals, and they don't want somebody holding them, for as many takes as it takes to get the shot, with him poking at them. Nearly every time I saw him, he seemed to be forcing some poor animal to be held, despite how badly it was trying to get away. I'm all for educating people about wildlife, but he just seemed to be forcing himself on wild animals and exploiting them for his own motives. I think it was hypocritical of him to teach people about respecting animals when it was obvious that he wasn't really doing it himself. It was a tragic death, I'm truly sorry that it happened, and I think he was a caring person, but I just don't agree with his methods of trying to educate people about animals.
falljackets
daaaang. that sucks. i mean, he annoyed the shit outta me too, but that is crazy that he died with a stingray and not something much more serious. being from fl, i just never thought of stingrays as that dangerous. i'd never swim with them, but this dide has swam with much more dangerous (seemingly) animals.

pollystyrene
Correction- he actually had two kids- an older daughter, then the younger son, the one who he held in the crocodile pit while tantilizing a croc with food. blink.gif
zora
Steve Irwin died.

Now, I am truley going to miss him. Killed by a stingray barb.
bunnyb
QUOTE(zora @ Sep 4 2006, 10:52 AM) *

Steve Irwin died.

Now, I am truley going to miss him. Killed by a stingray barb.

I know sad.gif . All that dangerous work with crocodiles and he's killed by a stingray.
thepointybird
I can't quite believe it. Crocodile Hunter was one of my favourite things ever! RIP Steve. No doubt rolling a 400lb croc into a tarp in heaven as we speak!
ginger_kitty
I was in shock when I heard the news. I realize his work was dangerous, but he was just the kind of guy you expect to live to be a crazy old man. RIP Steve.
erinjane
QUOTE(falljackets @ Sep 4 2006, 01:04 AM) *

daaaang. that sucks. i mean, he annoyed the shit outta me too, but that is crazy that he died with a stingray and not something much more serious. being from fl, i just never thought of stingrays as that dangerous. i'd never swim with them, but this dide has swam with much more dangerous (seemingly) animals.

Yeah, I read that this is only the 2nd or 3rd fatal stingray attack in Australia.
ratgrl
Yeah, Steve Irwin's death was surprising--sort of. Since his career was all about being around dangerous animals, it's not a total shock that he was killed by one. From what I read about it, the fact that it was a stingray that did him in was just sort of random: the position of its tail pierced his heart. Kind of ironic, since he'd spent so much time with so many animals that are considered much more dangerous. But who knows--if he hadn't died from this, he might have later been killed by some other deadly animal. From what I knew of him, his life/career was something of a game of Russian Roulette, if one considers all the risky postions he put himself in.

That said, of course I feel bad that someone so young died, and that his family has lost their husband/father. It's tragic, no two ways about it. Whatever controversies he brought upon himself with all the risks he took, he seemed like a genuinely nice person, if rather wacky.

I have one memory of him that really stands out in my mind, although it's something I saw at least 5 or 6 years ago: I happened to tune into Animal Planet just in time to see him hugging a dead croc and weeping profusely! He was saying things like, "I'll miss her so much; nobody understood her like I did!" I just thought, "Huh?!" I mean, I love animals, but it's hard to imagine forming an actual bond with a crocodile; I just can't picture them being friendly and affectionate toward humans. But, I'm no croc expert, and I didn't watch his show that much anyway, so what do I know.

R.I.P. Crocodile Hunter sad.gif
faith
As I was saying in Kvetch (where, by the way, I discovered the magical powers of the ignore button, I want to buy an extra subscription to Bust in gratitude) -- I could understand why his showmanship annoyed many (though I liked it) but at the end of the day, he was a really dedicated environmentalist and got a lot of people motivated to learn more about animals, and want to preserve them. In Australia he raised huge amounts of $$$$ for different conservation/animal protection causes.

Apparently it was a totally freak thing -- the barb pierced his heart. Had it just stung him elsewhere, it would have been painful but not life-threatening.

So sad.
mermaidgirl13
Apparently only 3-15 people ever have died from a sting ray barb.
ohmaude
I was sad to hear S. Irwin died. However, I found his methods a little controversial. Showing the tv public a beautiful, deadly snake by wrestling it on camera is sort of like raising awareness of the homeless problem by going up to homeless people on the street and kicking them while the camera rolls.

Harassing and handling wildlife often raises their stress levels, which can have serious consequences, like missing a breeding cycle, etc. Not such a great thing to do to animals already threatened in some way. But I'm a wildlife biologist, and therefore have my own ideas.

Fact is he was very passionate about what he did, and that was admirable.
mr_falljackets
Probably just my cynicism speaking here but I didn't see Irwin as so much an advocate for the animal kingdom as a ratings whore willing to go to absurd lengths to keep his brand awareness up. The dude took his infant into the croc pen with him. Wtf? Snakes and lizards everywhere are shrugging their collective shoulders at this news.
sassypants
The episode of Crocodile Hunter that sticks out the clearest in my mind is the one telling the love story of him and Sheri. The obvious love he had for her and his two children really tugged on my heart strings and continues to stick with me. I'll really miss Steve and his wacky ways. Despite some of his over-zealous actions I think the attention he brought to crocs, snakes, and other non-cuddly animals was fantastic. RIP Steve, glad you were here.
ginger_kitty
QUOTE(mr_falljackets @ Sep 5 2006, 06:27 PM) *

Probably just my cynicism speaking here but I didn't see Irwin as so much an advocate for the animal kingdom as a ratings whore willing to go to absurd lengths to keep his brand awareness up. The dude took his infant into the croc pen with him. Wtf? Snakes and lizards everywhere are shrugging their collective shoulders at this news.

Yeah, I see your point. But the man did so much for conservation! And I always considered him to comeoff as very genuine. When he did that uber lame movie I thought the man had definately sold out, but most if not all of the profits went to wildlife causes. And I thought the whole baby thing was blown way out of proportion. Consider the man was raised by a father very similar to himself. He probably had experiences like that when he was a tot, which is probably what helped him feel so comfortable around animals. I remember reading that when he heard people were comparing him to the whole Micheal Jackson baby dangling incident, he was so saddened that he cried b/c of the comparison.

Just my two cents.....
mr_falljackets
I only know of his onscreen antics. I admit I know nothing of his conservationism. I suppose that would redeem him.
auralpoison
Foremer Texas governor Anne Richards died.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.