Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i am gonna miss 'em....(the so and so just died thread)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
yuefie
Aww, what a sassy broad she was.
sassygrrl
Aw. Fuck.

I LOVED her. She was so sassy and rad.

ohmaude

sad.gif

Ann Richards was fantastic. She will be sorely, sorely missed. Have any of you heard her speech at the 1988 (I think) Democratic National Convention? The woman had some brass ovaries and an awesome sense of humor.
mandolyn
from her obit:

"She grabbed the national spotlight with her keynote address at the 1988 Democratic National Convention when she was the Texas state treasurer. Richards won cheers from delegates when she reminded them that Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, "only backwards and in high heels."

and: "She cracked a half-century male grip on the governor's mansion and celebrated by holding up a T-shirt that showed the state Capitol and read: "A woman's place is in the dome."

and how about this gem: "Richards sealed her partisan reputation with a blast at George H. Bush, a fellow Texan who was vice president at the time: "Poor George, he can't help it. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth."

the woman certainly had a way with words.

r.i.p., (((ann))).
pollystyrene
Aww, so sad. I loved her!
txplumwine
"A tall tree fell in Texas today." - State Comptroller John Sharp

I once had the distinct privilege of meeting the lady herself. I'll come back and tell the story when I'm not at work.

I cried this morning when I saw old video of her - but I sense it was her time. We will sorely, sorely miss her - and we will never see her equal.

All hail Our Lady of the Lone Star State. May I ever have a fraction of her steel, charm, and wit.

Rest in peace, Governor.
auralpoison
Oh, wow! Do tell us! Such a fabulous, flamboyant, & fiesty broad! She will be missed.
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(ohmaude @ Sep 14 2006, 09:45 AM) *

sad.gif

Ann Richards was fantastic. She will be sorely, sorely missed. Have any of you heard her speech at the 1988 (I think) Democratic National Convention? The woman had some brass ovaries and an awesome sense of humor.

She was my idol. mellow.gif
anna k
I just read a clipping of her yesterday from Glamour giving advice to young career women about not expecting to be the boss by age 29 and working slowly and steadily rather than trying to achieve fame at a young age. I'll miss her.
pinkpoodle
She wasn't that old. What happened to her? Cancer? Sting-ray?
ohmaude
QUOTE(pinkpoodle @ Sep 14 2006, 07:22 PM) *

She wasn't that old. What happened to her? Cancer? Sting-ray?

She was 73. Cancer of the esophagus, I believe.
bunnyb
did you read that there have been revenge attacks against stingrays? that is so not what steve would have wanted.
pinkpoodle
What? People are killing stingrays now? WTF? People are so fucking dumb.
ginger_kitty
RIP ((Ann)), she was awesome.

I was disturbed by the stingray killing thing too, definately against Steve's values, he'll roll in his grave over that.
yuefie
I just saw something on tv about Ann and got all verklempt. sad.gif

She will be sorely missed indeed.

raisingirl
Oh, Ann. I'm going to miss her. I'm wondering if "60 Minutes" will do something this weekend like rebroadcast an old interview with her. "Backwards and in high heels" -- fuck yeah.

ETA: I just checked. They're not doing anything. Bastids.
txplumwine
Sorry it took me so long...back with my story!

I had just transferred in uni, at the beginning of my junior year. The governor was scheduled to speak at Convocation (lots of professors walking down in robes, much boring talk, one keynote speaker), and I just happened to have a class break in the time period. No. way. I was missing it.

The lady spoke, and was as fantastic as you might expect. Just unbelievably brilliant and a tongue like an adamantine sword. When it was all over, the auditorium cleared out rather quickly...except for about 10 of us who sort of hung back to see what her "people" were going to do with her. Within a minute or two, we'd all clumped up at the edge of the stage, a diverse little clump of eager faces peering up towards her.

Her handlers started to walk her toward the back, but a few brave souls shouted out "Governor!" She stopped, turned and saw us waving. One guy took her elbow and tried to push her on.

Baby, let me tell you: if looks could kill, that guy would have been nail-gunned to the back of the auditorium. She gracefully retrieved her elbow, strode purposefully toward the edge of the stage, and extended her hand to the first person on her left.

Who managed to say, in utter awe and amazement: "Hello, Governor, I'm TXPlumWine."

Our Lady moved all the way down the line, shaking every hand and posing for several photos. She was regal and gorgeous and such a very, very strong presence. And we were all as giddy as if we'd met a rock star.

I have been an ardent admirer of hers since high school. There is just so much that I want to say, so much I will miss about her being on the planet. And I just don't feel that anything I *could* say would be sufficient.

But can I just say how much I love my BUSTies, far and wide, for knowing and loving her too? {{{{y'all}}}}

Here's a really good article that sums up her career:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/09/15/richards/
pollystyrene
Pat Corley, the guy who played Phil the Bartender on Murphy Brown died.

I haven't bothered to look yet- is Murphy Brown on DVD? I loved that show when I was little.
duplessix
orianna fallaci just died. and i was just getting into her!

sad.gif
pherber
Freddy Fender!
(June 4, 1937 – October 14, 2006)

sad.gif
mouse
sandy west......drummer for the runaways. sad.gif
anna k
Runaways vocalist and life-long friend, Cherie Currie had this to say, “Sandy West was by far, the greatest female drummer in the history of rock and roll. No one could compete or even come close to her, but the most important was her heart. Sandy West loved her fans, her friends and family almost to a fault. She would do absolutely anything for the people she loved. It will never be the same for me again to step on a stage, because Sandy West was the best and I will miss her forever.”

That's sad. I was into The Runaways as a teen through learning about Riot Grrl and early punk rock.
nickclick
someone here at work dressed for halloween as steve irwin, the crocodile hunter, with a stuffed stingray stuck to his chest. is it too soon? i thought it was pretty friggin' hilarious.
auralpoison
Actress Adrienne Shelley committed suicide. She was most commonly known for being in a couple of Hal Hartley films.
anna k
That's sad. I liked her a lot in Trust.
bunnyb
she had a three year old daughter.
girlygirlgag
She did not commit suicide, she was murdered.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/...d.ap/index.html
anna k
Hal Hartley, who directed The Unbelieveable Truth and Trust, is a Long Islander, so he often came to the Cinema Arts Centre in Long Island to premiere his films. He must be devastated about this, as Adrienne was his leading lady in both films.

I feel really sad about this. Even though she hadn't been famous for years, she was great in Trust and for her life to go towards little work, depression, and a murder, leaving her child motherless, is really sad and tragic.
sybarite
Apparently she made a film (called Waitress) which was well received at Sundance.

So sad. She was great in Trust. RIP Ms Shelley.
WasabiNinja
Ed Bradley has died of leukemia at the age of 65. I feel like I lost an uncle. sad.gif
anna k
Aww damn. I liked him.
faerietails
I was shocked. Not too long ago I was watching his interview with the alleged Duke rapists, so when I heard about this it was like....WHAT?!!!
mandolyn
a journalist with integrity, indeed.
there are so few left, it seems.
pollystyrene
Marie Rudisill, who was the "Ask the Fruitcake Lady" on Jay Leno died. Normally, some character on Jay Leno would not be of interest to me, but she was the aunt of Truman Capote. When I heard this, I immediately thought she was the relative that "A Christmas Memory" is based on (that site has the full text of the short story and it's a wonderful story- read it if you haven't before!), but it would be logistically impossible for her to be the same relative- the woman in the story is over 50 years older than Truman and Marie was only 11 years older than him.

One of my family's holiday traditions is reading that book together.
raisingirl
I'm so sad about Ed Bradley. People like him can never be replaced. Such integrity, such heart, such intelligence, such wisdom.
chachaheels
PollyStyrene, thanks for posting that link.

I'm sad about Ed Bradley too. He died so young, too.
mandolyn
polly, thanks so much for posting that link. my boy is fascinated with truman capote ever since we saw the movie. a christmas memory would make an excellent stocking stuffer for him! (i never read the book, but i saw the '66 tv movie with geraldine page, narrated by capote, which for me will always be the definitive version.)

apologies for being O/T.

(((Marie Rudisill)))
bunnyb
Jack Palance has died at 87 sad.gif.

He had a long and successful career and life. I loved his in City Slickers.

mando, Capote is a fascinating man. I have "A Christmas Memory" in a collection along with "Breakfast at Tiffany's".
ginger_kitty
I can't believe Jack Palance was only 87. When I told my hubby he was dead, my hubby's response was "he was still alive?? what was he like 103." Anyway, I remember him from the old Ripley's believe it or not in the 80's. His voice always enthralled me. RIP
raisingirl
60 Minutes had a beautifully moving tribute to Ed Bradley this past Sunday. Sniff. (I feel a tiny bit wrong being all sad over his death, too, because he's definitely not the kind of person who would want people to be crying over him... on the contrary, it was good to see the hour devoted to someone who lived his life so fully and with authenticity.)
pollystyrene
I saw that, raisin- it was really sad. I'd like to see some more of his reports.
AnnieBear
Jack Palance died? I had no idea. I think it is a shame to lose the last people of that era... ( John Wayne, Marlene Dietrich, Maureen O'Hara etc) Do you all think that we (and our children) will look back on the stars of today and say, "now there was a great one" ?

Will we have another "grace kelly"?

Just curious
A
girlygirlgag
THis is so sad.

Brazilian model dies from anorexia
21-year-old Ana Carolina Reston weighed 88 pounds

Updated: 2 hours, 4 minutes ago
RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - The mother of a Brazilian fashion model who died from complications of anorexia has made an emotional appeal for parents to take better care of aspiring young models.

The death of Ana Carolina Reston, 21, follows growing criticism of the use of underweight models in the fashion world, an issue given new significance after the death in August of Uruguayan model Luisel Ramos of heart failure during a fashion show in Montevideo.

Reston died on Tuesday in a Sao Paulo hospital from a generalized infection caused by anorexia, an eating disorder in which sufferers obsessively deprive themselves of food in pursuit of an ultra-slim look.

Reston weighed only 88 pounds (40 kg) and was about 5 feet 8 inches tall (1.72 meters) tall. Doctors consider this weight normal for a 12-year-old girl no more than about 5 feet (1.5 meters) tall.

“Take care of your children ... no money is worth the life of your child, not even the most famous (fashion) brand is worth this,” her mother, Miriam Reston, told O Globo newspaper.

She said her daughter had been trying to help her family with the money she made as a model.

Miriam spoke on national television and to local newspapers to highlight the tragedy. She said she had pleaded with her daughter to eat more and to see a doctor.

“She would reply, ‘Mummy, don’t mess me around,’” Miriam told O Estado de S.Paulo.

“Dictatorship of skinny look kills a model,” said the front-page headline of O Dia tabloid, which carried a picture of the dark-haired, big-eyed girl in lingerie.

Many top models come from Brazil and thousands of young girls from all walks of life dream of modeling careers, inspired by the international success of Gisele Bundchen or Adriana Lima.

Reston was not famous but she had worked abroad, including in Japan, and did some jobs for Giorgio Armani and the Brazilian model agency L’Equipe, which declined immediate comment.

In September, Spain caused a storm in the fashion world when Madrid barred models below a certain weight from its top fashion show. Models with a body-mass-index (BMI), which takes into account height and weight, of less than 18 were banned.

Reston’s BMI was just 13.5 while the World Health Organization considers anyone with a BMI below 18.5 underweight. A BMI below 17.5 being one of the criteria for the diagnosis of anorexia nervosa and a BMI nearing 15 is usually used as an indicator for starvation.

Other famous fashion venues like London were considering following suit.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
auralpoison
Ruth Brown, RIP. Mama, he treats your daughter mean.
sunshine
Cheers to the long life of Ruth Brown. She had a minor but memorable role as a DJ in Hairspray.
pollystyrene
Robert Altman died!
nickclick
yeah, here's his obit
i loved "popeye" and "gosford park"
ImDancingBarefoot
I can't believe Robert Altman is dead! Wow.

I know it's been, like, a year, but I still miss Jerry Orbach. I feel misty anytime I watch <I>Law & Order</I> reruns.

I can't believe Robert Altman is dead! Wow.

I know it's been, like, a year, but I still miss Jerry Orbach. I feel misty anytime I watch <I>Law & Order</I> reruns.
pherber
IPB Image
Mariska Veres RIP
news link

She sung in a silly accent
in the European Jefferson Airplane
they were only a one hit wonder
and she looked like Divine towards the end of her life
I guess you have to be a mod to understand.

Send Me A Postcard
pollystyrene
Peter Boyle died. Sad. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.