Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pets of all kinds
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3
i_am_jan
lunia: He's adorable!! What a cute pet ; ) Have you named him yet??!!!!

While I'm here, I have to share this: I just got a new cat so now I have 2 right? Well, before the 2nd cat came, I was preparing things at home for his arrival, and one of the things was to make a second litter box. Both litter boxes are in different cubby holes in my bathroom with towels hanging over the entrances.

Well, I guess the 1st cat was trying to make sense of the 2 boxes so he began 'pooing' in one and 'peeing' in the other! Then, when cat 2 came, he followed suit, and so now they pee in one box and poo in the other, ha ha. I witnessed it this morning first hand when I saw Winky go into one box and pee and then he came out and walked into the other box and was in there for couple min's, isn't that funny!

Cats are so "orderly" laugh.gif
missladyj
My snake died. I only was caring for it for about two years but was really attached to him. I never thought I would be so attached to this animal but I am. I would talk to him every morning. Sad.

this woman I work with had rescued it and told me she could get me another. I will probably wait till next fall.

God I loved that fucking snake.
raisingirl
Bump?
mornington
*waves*
raisingirl
So I didn't expect to wake up to this news, but last night my bunny nephew was put to sleep. He was really sick and it was the only true option. I am really upset about the poor bun bun and I'm upset for his parents (aww). And I can rationalize it and say at least he's not suffering now, but a loss is a loss and it always hurts when a pet dies. Please don't mention the Rainbow Bridge right now or I will start crying some more.

Lady J, have you gotten another snake? Not like you can replace the one that died (I'm sorry), but the routine of caring for a pet and then having it gone, that's kind of weird, especially when you are used to saying hi to them every morning or having them greet you at the door at night (probably not with a snake, although that is a funny visual).
walkingbitch
big hugs babe
mr_falljackets
It's old news and def no replacement for a bunny nephew but... it's always good for a giggle on a sad day.

missladyj
Raisin,
I haven't replaced the snake yet. He was part of my morning ritual of coming into my classroom and talking to him first thing. I may see if someone has a snake they can't take care of anymore because that was how I got my snake in the first place.

I have the rat that was originally food for the snake in my classroom now. The rat spent all summer with me at home with the cat who could care two shits less that there was a rat in the house. The night before I was gonna take the rat back to school I decided to introduce the cat ,Boo to the rat ,Chester.

Chester was sniffing Boo who jumped away from him but was still watching him, Chester approaches Boo again to sniff her out and she jumps away again. On Chester's third approach to Boo, she runs down the stairs and pukes.

Which was not at all the response I thought she'd have being a mouser with all her claws.

Chester is one fearless rat.
raisingirl
Thanks for the giggle, Mr. FJ. Monorail cat plus the adorable picture of your baby just about did me in!

I was looking at sympathy cards in the drugstore today and I got all teary. Pathetic, eh? I've got such a bleeding heart when it comes to animals.

I'm feeling kind of vacant -- went over to bunny nephew's house and the space where his cage used to be was all empty. So sad.

Lady J, how random about your cat and the rat! Wow.
deschatsrouge
Any one in here have Hermit Crabs? Any one in here wanna talk about Hermit Crabs?
missladyj
I do not have a hermit crab but if you've got one, I wanna hear all about it.
deschatsrouge
I have two hermit crabs. Both are Coenobita clypeatus other wise known as Purple Pinchers. they live in a crabitat composed of Eco-earth substrait in a plastic tub with plenty of shells to wear. Hermit crabs like to climb so I recently bought some of that imitation coral for fish tanks and they lurve it. I feed them whole foods; rice, oats fruit that I dry, dry parsley flakes, and some high protein crab food, no dairy and no citrus. For a treat sometimes they get walnuts or almonds. They like warmth and high humidity so they have a heating pad that their crabitat sits on.

I get all my hermit crab keeping advice here.
themeiu
I have to say, when I see those hermit crab kiosks in the mall, it makes me cry. It must be so scary to be in a crazy, loud mall, being poked and prodded by little kids all day. And then, when they are purchased, I always envisioned them being tortured until the child gets bored of it and flushes it down the toilet. Morbid I know, I apologize.
But your hermits sound like they have hermit crab paradise! Yay! I will no longer have nightmares about the other poor sad crabs. I can picture your little guys all warm, cozy, and well fed climbing over things and eating almonds (didn't know they liked almonds..) How big do they get?
Hermit crabs?
Wow.
I'm clueless about them.
Sounds interesting though, so I'll just read. Sorry for interupting.
I never woulda guessed that they liked walnuts & almonds!
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(themeiu @ Oct 25 2007, 01:04 AM) *
How big do they get?

The biggest I've ever seen is the size of a baseball.
ambientstar21
QUOTE(themeiu @ Oct 24 2007, 06:04 PM) *
I have to say, when I see those hermit crab kiosks in the mall, it makes me cry. It must be so scary to be in a crazy, loud mall, being poked and prodded by little kids all day. And then, when they are purchased, I always envisioned them being tortured until the child gets bored of it and flushes it down the toilet. Morbid I know, I apologize.
But your hermits sound like they have hermit crab paradise! Yay! I will no longer have nightmares about the other poor sad crabs. I can picture your little guys all warm, cozy, and well fed climbing over things and eating almonds (didn't know they liked almonds..) How big do they get?

Yeah I agree about those kiosks. They are horrible. What's worse is the fact that they paint random things on their shells. I'm sorry but I don't think painting spiderman's face on a hermit crab is humane in any way. There needs to be more people like deschatrouge to save them!
pollystyrene
When my mom was a kid, they'd do that with turtles, too; paint their shells and sell them in the five-and-dime (no malls back then)....then they learned the hard way that the turtle carried salmonella and lots of kids got sick.

Wow, dechat, that sounds like a great home for your hermit crabs. I think at some point we had hermit crabs as a class pet. We treated them well, but not that well!
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(ambientstar21 @ Nov 1 2007, 06:35 PM) *
Yeah I agree about those kiosks. They are horrible. What's worse is the fact that they paint random things on their shells. I'm sorry but I don't think painting spiderman's face on a hermit crab is humane in any way. There needs to be more people like deschatrouge to save them!

I believe in being a well informed/responsible pet owner.

They sell crabs in painted shells at petco too. You know what I've noticed is that the minute I bring a crabby home who has a painted shell, it will change out. Painted shells are not good, when crabs walk around their shells can drag on the ground and the paint will chip off, especially if they have a sand substrait (as is the case in most mall kiosks). Since crabs will eat anything (in the wild they are scavengers) they will ingest the paint chips and die. I got that info here

tankgirl
the only reason painted shells exist for hermit crabs is because retards will buy them if they look like that. i wouldnt blame the people who paint/sell them, blame the people who WANT them that way.
gumby_cc
Uh....this is off topic, but does anyone own a hedgehog? I got an eight week old one this past Friday, and he is a cutie pie!
deschatsrouge
will you post a pic of him gumby?
themeiu
Any horse people out there? My boyfriend and I just got our first horses, two Missouri Fox Trotter mares. One is a 5 y.o. chestnut named Scarlet and the other is a 7 y.o. buckskin named Show Girl (yes, terrible name and we were going to change it, but it turns out she is kinda a show girl. Sometimes I call her Hooker when I'm mad). They are such a joy too be around. Some of the sanest, sweetest, smarted horses I've ever met. I've wanted a horse since I was 5 or something, so this is a real dream come true. I'll post some pictures if anyone is interested smile.gif.
.eilleen.
I love my fatties (I mean guinea pigs):

Pweeper:

and

Lil Bear:

I can't wait to move them into my new place and out of my parents'. They enjoyed their 3 week long stay in early September. I'm sure they would enjoy living with me again.
tankgirl
here are my chunks enjoying playtime among beer cans. (classy)

deschatsrouge
*gush* awwwwwww...

eilleen and tank your fur babies are *so* cute.
.eilleen.
QUOTE(deschatsrouge @ Nov 30 2007, 01:32 PM) *
*gush* awwwwwww...

eilleen and tank your fur babies are *so* cute.

Thanks! I received a call from my mother telling me that the their Vet wants to feature Osito in her quarterly newsletter, is recommending him for the "hall of fame" (or something like that) for pets. This little guy just sits there and looks cute (with the occasional caress). I hope if he wins, he'll get free bedding for life.
gumby_cc
Awww, those are some cute animules. I hope your pets get the free bedding, eilleen! That would be sweet!

Here is the newest addition to our family:

in ball form:

bathtime:
missladyj
gumby- how fuckin cute! I can't believe it. So ridiculuously cute. ( I can't spell)

tank girl - those ferrets have great taste in beer!
BellyDanceGirl
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/C...cats/winkie.jpg

My half-blind cat that thinks he's a little man sitting in an armchair.
deschatsrouge
Hey BDG you should post that link in the here kitty kitty thread too, there having a pic fest in there right now.
BellyDanceGirl
QUOTE(deschatsrouge @ Dec 11 2007, 04:03 PM) *
Hey BDG you should post that link in the here kitty kitty thread too, there having a pic fest in there right now.

Thanks, I will!
deschatsrouge
Both my hermit crabs are molting at the same time, this has never happened before. I wonder if they will be synced for the rest if their lives.
newo_ikkin
I just bought a Russian Tortoise today. She's adorable -- they said she's between 12 and 20 years old and could live to over 75.
I've got the right heating/lighting setup, a couple different kinds of greens and the calcium to sprinkle on it a few times a week. I plan on soaking her at least once a week to keep her hydrated while I clean the cage out.
Am I missing anything? Any suggestions?
LustfullyPink
Oh my. I was bad.
LustfullyPink
Very very bad.
LustfullyPink
So, I took the plunge. I bought a hamster! ^^

She's got a really nifty cage, its' two storied, she's got a loft apartment on one side and an exersize wheel on the other side and the bottom floor is just space to roam, eat and drink.

Problem is... once she gets up into the loft, she can't (won't) come back down. She'll get halfway down the (perfectly verticle) tube and scram back up. Anyone know what's going on?

She hasn't even been in the exersize wheel section yet...

I don't think she's drank anything yet, either.

She's only been here for like, three hours, though.

Any advice on getting them to like being handled would also be appreaciated.
tankgirl
on handling her, give her a few days to get used to her surroundings first, preferably lots of quiet time. then out your hand out for her, on her level, don't come at her from above or she will see you as a predator. she may bite you at first to see what you're about but let her come to you and she will learn to trust you fast. also not to sound rude but hamsters will never "like" to be handled. tolerate, enjoy food treats, but they won't ever "like" it lol. good luck.
newo_ikkin
I got my tortoise about a month ago. They said it was a girl, and I lovingly named her Bunny. She's an awesome pet... anyway, something kept coming out of her butt. I thought it was some kind of intestinal prolapse or something because the petstore guy said there was no way it was a penis. Basically a lot of back and forth, I finally get a picture of it to bring to the vet and pet store. And...

IT'S A BOY! lol this has pretty much made my day because now I know there's nothing wrong with "her", besides an identity crisis.

Anything similar happen to anyone else?
tankgirl

new pic om malekai, my fave (don't tell the others)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.