Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Veggie Tales
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3
meetay
Bump.
meetay
Ok, so I know I'm not the only vegetarian sympathizer alive. I'm a hybrid. I eat honey. Are you wanting to sue me for that, you PETA folk?

Anyway, I've been just sitting around being normal lately. I ate beans for breakfast, and then I had a bean burrito for dinner, and I'm still supposed to eat another meal if I'm following the recommended healthy diet, but I've never been that into breakfast. It's just my tendency to wake up late for everything, I guess, however, even when jobless, I don't really have any desire to eat when I first wake up. I don't know why, and everyone is always pushing for that first meal to happen, but it just doesn't for me. What is everyone else eating?
erinjane
I have trouble getting myself to eat in the morning too, mostly because it gives me heartburn. I usually force myself to have a small bowl of cream of wheat or a granola bar. I often wake up around 10, grab something quick and then eat a real meal around 1 or 2. Generally I only have two meals a day but I try and snack throughout the day.

As for what I eat for the rest of the day, I always try to get in some greens or veggies. So if I'm having pasta, I'll throw in some steamed spinach, or if I'm having a cheese sandwhich I'll make sure to fill it with carrots and lettuce or spinach. Although I've been kind of lazy lately and could be eating a better diet.

(Damn, another thread eaten.)
auralpoison
I think it's really interesting how few people eat breakfast. It's hammered into us as little kids that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but once we're grown forget about it. Personally, I'd rather sleep than putter around making breakfast. Plus, I worked nights for so long that I had dinner for breakfast & breakfast for dinner, so it's all messed up in my head. Me, I go from eating five/six little meals a day to grabbing a bite when I can if I'm too busy.
battygurl
I feel nauseous if I eat too early in the morning, so breakfast is out. I usually can only eat fruits and veggies in the morning: nothing too heavy or too acidic or too dry. If I need something more substantial I have a bit of yogurt or quinoa, or toast and jam if I can handle it. Then I usually snack all day and have a light meal at dinner time, usually beans or something with iron and protein, and then snack all evening. I eat mostly healthy snacks: more fruits and veggies, multigrain crackers or bread (just switched over from white bread, finally), cheese, or soy milk.
hello-tampon
I think breakfast is my best meal. It's the most consistent, at least (we'll see if it stays that way now that I'm working first shift a lot more than second).

Usually I will have a sprouted wheat bagel with soy cream cheese, or a bowl of oatmeal sweetened with maple syrup, or soy yogurt with frozen berries.
raisingirl
Oh, how sad that this thread got eaten (no pun intended).

I have to eat breakfast or else I can't function. On good days I'm an early riser and I eat breakfast after going to the gym, so I've already been up for a couple of hours before eating (the glass of OJ before the gym doesn't count). Meetay, here's what I've been known to eat for breakfast:

1) oatmeal with fruit (fresh or dried) and sometimes nuts

2) cold cereal with fruit

3) toast with butter and/or jam, a hunk of cheese, fruit

4) fruit and yogurt, sometimes a hard-boiled egg if there's one sitting in the fridge

5) homemade muffins, a piece of leftover cake/tart/dessert/whatever (OOOOH!)

#3 is probably my favorite breakfast, but I don't always have bread that's not pita, so my default is oatmeal (cold cereal if I'm in a huge rush and don't have time to turn on the stove to cook the oatmeal). I try not to always make breakfast about eating something sweet, but I'm not crazy about eating omelettes for breakfast, so I'm working on that part. I've been known to eat raw vegetables with hummos for breakfast, too, which can lead to dragon breath if you don't swish your mouth out with mouthwash before leaving the house.
mirabella
I want to save this thread from being eaten, and I have a confession to make: I hate tofu. Atleast I think I do. I have never had it prepared by someone who is a good cook, though. Maybe I should do that before I write it off completely.
hellotampon
I love tofu. It can be prepared in limitless ways. I'm not fond of tempeh though, which makes me feel like a bad vegan. Oh well! There's no sense feeling guilty about not liking tofu. People get too much soy in their diet anyway!
battygurl
When I was first going veggie I ate a lot of tofu stir-fries, because it was one of the few main dishes I knew how to make, besides pasta, that was veggie. Now that I know how to make other things, I hardly ever have tofu. I eat it in restaurants sometimes because they make it way better than I do. Oh, and I have a really good recipe for chocolate mousse made with tofu. But you certainly don't need to like tofu to eat a healthy veggie diet!
mirabella
I wish there was a good vegetarian restaurant near me. I really want to try some yummy things that I have no skill to cook myself. I still feed my daughter mashed tofu by the way and she seems to like it. (She is 10 months old.)
erinjane
I like tofu, but I'm not a fan of tempeh either. I find the texture too...mushy I guess. I'll make tofu fingers and bread it with shake n'bake or make a southern fried tofu sandwich. I also like to use it in stir fry's, but like someone else said, its never as good as it is in the restaurants.

I'm all excited because I just came back from the states and got to finally try some morningstar farm products and they were delicious. I don't crave meat products very often, but I miss things like chicken fingers with dill sauce, and tofu just doesn't cut it sometimes.
keenkitty
I like Tofu mixed with chocolate or made into faux egg salad.

Other than that I don't like it raw and I only like it if its in soups long enough to absorb the spices.

Tempeh doesn't agree with me. I have gastroenteritis and wheat doesn't help me eat wheat gluten aka tempeh

Even think about it makes it hurt!
sassy
I've been a vegetarian for 7-years and I hate tofu too. Maybe I just have eaten any well-prepared tofu, but the texture alone makes me sort of feel gross. I do like tempeh a lot though!! There is this fake bacon tempeh that is better than real bacon. You guys are missing out...smile.gif
hellotampon
So a coworker just told me today that she wants to go on "the Brittany diet" aka a vegan diet like me. She thinks that since I'm skinnyish, that if she eats the way that I do, she'll lose weight.

And whenever anyone finds out I'm veg, they say stuff like, "you must lose weight on that diet."

I didn't go vegan to lose weight though. I actually lost weight before then, during some weird 19-years-old growth spurt, and after I went vegan my weight normalized itself so now I look healthy, not emaciated like I was before.

Does anyone else get that response all the time? I mostly did it for the environmental reasons, but everyone always talks about the weight thing.
cellijenni
I recently found out that I had developed an allergy to dairy....and was promptly awakened to the holy crap, its half of my diet, what the hell do i eat now scenario. Although, I must say...my tummy and skin feel much better.

I eat very little meat to begin with, mostly just fish and sometimes chicken.
Can any of you recommend a good basic vegan cookbook that has good recipes in it??

Also, this was my first week with soy products. I got 8th continent light vanilla milk...is there a particular brand that you suggest?? How about yogurt?? Damn, I miss my yogurt.
erinjane
I recently picked up "La Dolce Vegan" by Sarah Kramer and I found it really friendly for newcomers to veganism. I'm veggie, not vegan but I have a few vegan friends, and I can substitute milk or eggs in to recipes when I'm cooking for myself. Most of them are under 30 minutes and fairly easy. I know she has two other books so you might want to look for those too. On other message boards I hear people discussing Vegan with a Vegence and another one...the name has slipped my mind...I'll try and find it and post it later.
cellijenni
thanks, erinjane! i'll check it out.
punkerplus
cellijenni, I've heard that "How It All Vegan" is brilliant and I'm pretty sure there is a sequel as well.
cellijenni
Thanks!!

Any info on brands for Soy yogurt and milk?? I'm going grocery shopping tonight!!
msp
QUOTE(cellijenni @ Jul 26 2006, 11:54 AM) *

Any info on brands for Soy yogurt and milk?? I'm going grocery shopping tonight!!

Of the three I've tried - Silk, 8th Continent, and Whole Food's 365 brand - I like Silk the best. I get either their light or unsweetened varieties. What turned me right off of 8th Continent is the amount of sugar in it. I strongly prefer un- or at least less sweetened kinds of milk. I don't like being able to taste sugar in my milk.

365 is good, too, and tends to be the least expensive of the three, if you have a Whole Foods around. (If you have a Wild Oats around, I'm willing to wager they also have a home brand.)
erinjane
cellijenni, I've heard that "How It All Vegan" is brilliant and I'm pretty sure there is a sequel as well.

I believe that the sequal is La Dolce Vegan. She said in the beginning of the book that La Dolce is more for quick, easy recipes. Mmmm...delicious. I like that she also includes recipes for environmentally friendly cleaning products.

I have a lot of frozen extra firm tofu sitting around and I was wondering if anyone has any good recipes? I'm getting sick of the same ole stuff.
_bush_goddess_
QUOTE(erinjane @ Jul 26 2006, 03:52 PM) *

I believe that the sequal is La Dolce Vegan. She said in the beginning of the book that La Dolce is more for quick, easy recipes. Mmmm...delicious. I like that she also includes recipes for environmentally friendly cleaning products.

I have a lot of frozen extra firm tofu sitting around and I was wondering if anyone has any good recipes? I'm getting sick of the same ole stuff.

actually, it's "how it all vegan", "in the garden of vegan" and then "la dolce vegan" - i own all three -they're all excellent. the third is a solo effort for sarah kramer.
erinjane
Ah yes, heh, at least I knew they were both Sarah Kramer. tongue.gif

The other one that I see around a lot is "Viva La Vegan".
thisxabovexall
QUOTE(hellotampon @ Jul 25 2006, 05:53 PM) *

So a coworker just told me today that she wants to go on "the Brittany diet" aka a vegan diet like me. She thinks that since I'm skinnyish, that if she eats the way that I do, she'll lose weight.

And whenever anyone finds out I'm veg, they say stuff like, "you must lose weight on that diet."

I didn't go vegan to lose weight though. I actually lost weight before then, during some weird 19-years-old growth spurt, and after I went vegan my weight normalized itself so now I look healthy, not emaciated like I was before.

Does anyone else get that response all the time? I mostly did it for the environmental reasons, but everyone always talks about the weight thing.

I've been "underweight" all of my life and a vegetarian for about three years. Somehow everyone, even those who have known me forever, seem to think the two are related. Because, apparently, going veg can retroactively change your body type.
jemisoutrageous
I have been really intrigued by veganism lately. How do you manage it? What do you usually eat in a day?
hellotampon
Personally I manage by carrying snacks around with me in case of a lack of foodage, and knowing what restaurants to avoid if I want to eat out, and, I don't know, you just get used to reading ingredient labels on everything and it becomes second nature. In a typical day I'll eat quinoa with banana or oatmeal with maple syrup for breakfast, then I'll snack on trail mix, fruit, luna bars, etc. all day at work, and for dinner I like hummus + tabouli in a pita, millet or couscous with lots of spices, brown rice and lentils, tofu stirfry, steamed kale and chickpeas, salad, or something like that. Basically, fruits and veggies, beans, tofu, and whole grains. And spices and knowing how to use them.

I feel like I haven't really answered your question, jem. But I didn't really plan out my veganism, I just bit the bullet and did it. I go through a lot of phases where I eat too much of the convenience foods from the natural foods aisle in the grocery store, but I try to get at least 2 whole, unprocessed foods in each day (Like the quinoa for breakfast and an apple later).

Veganism gets expensive (the processed food is pricey and produce isn't always cheap either) but the bulk bins at the co-op or health food store are great for buying staples. Frozen fruit is pretty cheap too so I like to toss some of it in the blender with a banana and almond milk if I'm feeling like I've been eating like crap.
raisingirl
Jem, I'm veg, not vegan, but I can point you to this website: What the hell does a vegan eat anyway?

I made vegan muffins recently. Well, they were really yummy, but a little too dense. I made them again, but de-veganized them by adding an egg to the recipe that made one dozen muffins. The result? MUCH BETTER, the texture was more pillow-like than rock-like. I'll be going to hell for doing that, but at least my fat stomach will thank me.
jemisoutrageous
HelloT, I noticed that you ate really well and that you were a vegetarian, but I didn't realize you were a Vegan. I can't imagine that I will ever really be a vegan, but I am trying to incorporate more whole fods and vegan meals into my life. Thanks for all the info.

Raisingirl, I love that websight. And vegan Lunch Box. but my fave is Vanesscipes because she's my friend! Check her out!

http://www.vanesscipes.com/

While I'm in veggie land, I wanted to post a recipe for Gypsy Soup. It is SO good. And vegan, too.

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/soup/gypsy.html
_octinoxate
Hey veggie folks. I have a cooking date with a friend on Thursday. We're doing pasta with homemade sauce (yum!) but I can't think of what to make as a side dish. All my recipes tend to be Mediterranean/Indian/hippie stuff and I'd prefer something that goes a bit more smoothly with Italian food. I'm thinking a simple salad or tomato/basil/mozzerela plate, but those are old hat, no? Any favorites to suggest?
pepper
something green!! collard greens or caldo verde
http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekee...,394609,00.html maybe more porteguese than italian but so good!
bread is good with pasta, what about baking some kind of loaf or biscuit?
or a dessert, ooh, so much to choose from!
have fun. the girls in the troll thread are so into foody stuff, i'd ask there and in barefoot in the kitchen as well. seems to me there was a bit of convo about vegetarian dishes just the other day...
yuefie
I agree with pepper, something green like sauteed escarole, kale or even baby spinach with garlic is always good.

And Faggioli al' Olio ( white beans w/ olive oil & tomato salad) is a yummy and easy dish!
2 cans of cannelini or great northern beans, washed and drained well
ripe tomatoes, diced
fresh basil leaves, chiffonade or just tear by hand
finely chopped italian (flat leaf) parsley
a few cloves of finely minced or crushed garlic
chopped scallions
extra virgin olive oil
coarse salt & fresh ground pepper
juice of one freshly squeezed lemon
mix all of the ingredients and season to taste. let chill for a bit so all the flavors can meld and combine. drizzle on a little extra evoo and a few shakes of fresh ground pepper right before serving.

kelkello
Here's what I made for my BF last night and it was simple and a hit:

*1 box of Penne pasta (I use Barilla Plus because it has fiber and protein and doesn't taste too "whole
wheat-y"
*two big tomatoes, chopped (3 smaller ones will work)
*big handful of baby spinach leaves, chopped
*1 cup (give or take a little) of pesto
*Fresh parmesan, grated

-cook the pasta until al dente
-mix the pesto with about 1/2 cup of hot pasta water to thin it down (unless you make/buy yours thin. Mine is thick and doesn't mix well unless I do this)
-toss in the tomatoes and spinach
-mix in the pesto
-add fresh parmesan if so desired

Yummy and cheap and easy. Can't ask for more than that.

_octinoxate
Thanks for the ideas, ladies!
mermaidgirl13
I'm trying to ease into being a vegetarian and I'm wondering how you veggie busties became vegetarians? Was it hard? What were your reasons? How long have you been vegetarians? I don't eat a lot of meat as it is, but I also don't cook and it seems like it takes more time to make/get veggie meals than it does for meals centralized around a meat.
faerietails
hi mermaidchick!

well i've been a vegetarian for almost 6 years now. it was pretty rough for me at first because i grew up in texas and was still living there at the time, so i did love my beef! rolleyes.gif but i had wrestled with becoming veg all through high school for ethical reasons, so when i got to college i finally took the plunge. at first i ate pure junk (and i must admit, i still have those tendencies now in grad school!), but once you get the hang of it, it's really not that hard to get into the swing of cooking veg. it's no harder than cooking with meat; it'll become second nature to you.
chachaheels
I found that cooking vegetarian and vegan was much, much easier than cooking meat...and there is so much variety, you can cook a different meal every night and never duplicate a meal with a few good cookbooks, but I always had favourites. I still cook all those foods even though I do eat meat and fish now--but when I was a vegetarian I also cooked meat (M. Cha Cha has always eaten meat).

I actually "looked" for the first time at how animals were raised for meat--it was graphic and ugly. There are also all kinds of connotations about meat and gender bias that were persuasive for me. I stopped eating meat at a time in my life when I suddenly became aware of how much control I did not have around anything to do with my body, and how much all of us are just seen as pawns to generate revenue for companies producing meat and things like tobacco (and I won't disinclude things like different medicines too). So I quit smoking and stopped eating meat; I also started taking steps to stop depending on conventional medicine, which, at the time, had treated me to 20 years of failure with ineffective but side-effect laden "treatments" for dysmenorrhea.

Which lead to the cooking. I desperately needed something to do with my hands--as I was trying to fill up my days with things to keep me occupied so I wouldn't smoke, and I needed to force a different perspective into my life to follow up with the decision. I'd done a whole series of art projects--paintings, furniture renovating, sculpture with various materials. It became ridiculous. So: cooking was next. Not only was I able to eat well after selecting a number of vegetarian cookbooks from the library, but I was learning how to cook, technique by technique. If I'd never become vegetarian, I don't know what would have happened--I'd probably have been happy to just buy prepared stuff, all the time.

Some of the best cookbooks: Julia Childs--anything she's written (but in particular she wrote one where she explored cooking in various cuisines, including vegetarian ones...this featured a whole menu of Indian foods made by 2 vegetarian chefs she interviewed--the absolute best meal!). I loved Molly Katzen's books and still use them (the covers are falling off mine now) and anything written by Alice Waters or Deborah Madison.
pepper
mmm, alice waters. the simplest, most delicious food.
i went to her cafe when i was on the west coast, incredible.

anything that you prepare with meat now can be made in the same way with a vegetarian substitute if that makes the transition easier for you. the veggie versions of every meat-like dish there is are out there in abundance.
i strongly second the implementation of a good, basic cook book. inspiration and instructions, it doesn't get any easier than that!
mermaidgirl13
Thank you!!!

I already eat a lot of soy and meat-substitute stuff like veggie burgers and non-meat sausage, I just end up eating meat too. I guess it would be a lot easier if my boyfriend went veg with me. I'm not a good cook so the few things I've tried to make haven't turned out well at all. But I'm going to keep trying. I've been thinking about going veg for years but I've been looking more into how livestock are raised, like you said chacha, and it disgusted me and did the trick as far as pushing me to stop eating meat finally.
chachaheels
Oh, don't despair about your cooking skills.

If you live in a fairly large city, you could scout out some good vegetarian restaurants which specialize in organic, vegetarian and vegan dishes. I used to go to a lot of good Indian and Tibetan restaurants; as well as middle eastern restaurants, Ethiopian restaurants, and even Italian restaurants (there are so many vegetarian dishes in all the regional Italian cuisines so you never had to worry about finding something you love in that varied cuisine). Even Jewish Dairy restaurants are great--if you choose to eat dairy (going to one of these used to be the favourite way to spend Christmas morning when M. ChaCha and I lived in Toronto). Vegetarianism has made a huge impact on dining everywhere; you can get great veggie food pretty much anywhere. Going to good eateries is a good way for you to find out what you like and don't like--it also gives you an idea of how you'd like the foods you make to taste.

There are some cookbooks out there that are terrific at detailing things like skills, utensils and tools you need that really help, and tips on how to stock your pantry so that you can cook easily--that's one reason why I recommended Julia Childs, as one of her last cookbooks stuck to doing just that.

Start off by reading through a few of them that you can get at the library, and see which ones you seem to gravitate to. Give yourself plenty of time to work if you're going to try a recipe. I think you'll quickly start to find out how creative you are, and if you truly love the food you prepare cooking will become more pleasurable. It doesn't happen overnight, but before you know it, you'll be doing it well.
mermaidgirl13
I asked my mom to get me a slow cooker/crock pot for Christmas and I found several great books for vegetarian slow cooker meals. That's easy enough! (I hope)
lawnpigeon
I've been vegetarian for just over 12 years (I'm 23) and I've been vegan for 10 of those years. I found it super-easy to become vegetarian and gradually over a two year period vegan simply because I believed so strongly in what I was doing (i.e. not eating animals. Trying to cause as little harm to other beings and the environment as possible). I'm one of those people who decides something, "I'm not going to eat meat anymore," "I'm not going to wear wool," "I'm not going to support this company or that company," "I'm not going to eat eggs," etc, etc. and that's that. A bit stubborn, yes, but that's fine for me. I realise everyone is different and some people have difficulty, but if you really, really, really believe in what you're doing and why you're doing it, it's so much easier.

I suggest, if you need incentive, watch "Earthlings" as narrated by Joaquin Phoenix. Go to Google > Videos > search for "earthlings". Watch it. Then cry.
chachaheels
It's not really stubborn, LP, it's more like: committed. There's nothing wrong with it and in fact it's admirable. When you "know" the facts behind many things "as they appear" it's impossible to go on as though you could just regain your ignorance about something; so you're forced to act on your knowledge in a way that works for you.

For most people, the way animals and the earth are treated in the production of food is simply untenable. Others don't seem to have a problem with it mostly because they either don't know or wish to stay in denial. I think if people were truly aware and truly felt empowered by that knowledge, they'd either stop eating animal foods all together or work damned hard to change the way animals and plants and soil and air are treated in order to produce food (which a lot of people do, via movements like Slow Food and bioregional farming endeavors all over the world).

mermaidgirl13
Did you only make it through half of Earthlings because you couldn't stand to watch any more? I bought it and haven't been able to watch the whole thing yet either.

I'm approaching my 5th month of being a vegetarian, but I'm getting a little freaked out because I've had two yeast infections since I made the switch and before these two, it's been years since I've had one.

Did anyone else's body react in weird ways when you made the switch? I'm thinking that maybe I'm eating too much carb-stuff and I need to focus on getting more veggies into my diet instead of just replacement-bread-stuff.
hiddenpoet
is everyone who's a veg here a veg for ethical reasons?
i became vegetarian fifteen years ago because i never really liked meat in the first place and it was an excellent reason to avoid my parents repulsive cooking. see, my parents only byu ground beef and boneless skinless chicken breasts. they think that the right way to defrost those bottom of the barrel meats is to take it directly from the freezer before work in the morning (around six) and leave it on the counter until it is prepared for dinner. (five or six at night). everyone tells me that meat doesn't really taste like that when they hear my reasons and i know that meat cooked properly doesnt really taste like that, but i don't know if i will ever not make that association.
hiddenpoet
have you thought about only eating kosher or organic meats? these animals are not tainted with disease, they are treated with respect, they get to move outside of a stall, they are not pumped up on hormones or drugs, nor fed the remains of previously slaughtered animals.
i don't plan on trying meat anytime in the future, or even attempting to like it. i have one small problem about meat but it's also a problem with american culture itself. that being quantity over quality. we had some cheap regular bacon and it was cut razor thin, fatty, it shrank so fast in the pan i felt just disgusted that something had to die to make such a shitty product. it's the same way i feel about fast food places, something had to die so that the patrons of that place could get indigestion, nausea or diarrhea and then throw half of their food away? it's the wastefulness that bothers me the most not that people are eating meat.
tankgirl
i too became vegan because i simply didnt like eating meat (because i didnt like the taste) milk (lactose intollerant) and eggs (because i had a bad experience with undercooked eggs.) its very hard for people to get past that with me. i have strong ethical beliefs about the way animals should be treated but that came long after my decision to become vegan. its nice to see there are others that dont like meat, i guess im not so odd after all ( in that sence tongue.gif anyway) but yah i enjoy eating vegies and not fake supposed to taste like meat products.
hiddenpoet
i totally know what you're talking about tankgirl. my aunt made me one of those boca 'burgers' a few years ago as a gesture of kindness at her bbq a few years ago and i gagged when i bit into it. i see those pretend bacons, sausages and even chicken now and shudder. if i wanted to taste meat then i'd go eat some you know?
sassy
I've been a vegetarian for 8 years and I eat a lot of "fake" meat products. I think a lot of vegetarians/vegans liked meat but gave it up for ethical reasons, which is how it is in my case. So yes, it may seem weird to eat fake meat but it's humane and you can still feel like you are somewhat normal in a group type setting. Plus, these types of products have a lot of soy protein in them which is always a nice bonus when you are not eating meat.
hellotampon
I don't really eat fake meat products. They're expensive, and it never really occurs to me to get them anyway. I'm more of a fruit and veggie girl, I guess. That's what most of my meals consist of.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.