Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't Make Me Shush You!--Librarians/Archivists/Info Professionals
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Working Grrls
Pages: 1, 2
mermaidgirl13
A lot of what the prison librarian does is literacy-related and the goal is to make sure the inmate gets a good job once they are out.

I visited a prison library recently. It looked way nicer than I expected it to. There were posters on the wall - Einstein, sandy beaches, READ posters, maps of the world - and the collection was pretty good. A big part of it was a law collection but there was a ton of fiction and a bunch of self-help books on relationships, identity, etc.

They don't get Internet access obviously, but they had computers that help with the teaching.

I just really want to do something where I help someone - whether it's prisons or public libraries. It's hard to find a job though. You need tons of experience and so far I have none yet. Once I get my Masters I'm going to have to start as a library clerk or assistant and work up.
zillahgirl
So on Monday I'm gonna have my MLS.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
mermaidgirl13
I'm so jealous! I have one more class (ending in July) and then I'm done.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
luleey
luckies. one year from now for me. sigh...
zillahgirl
I have my first ever (post grad school) job interview on Tuesday!!!
zillahgirl
I got a job! I got a job! I got a job!
dusty
Yay! Where?
zillahgirl
At the Uniformed Services University for the Health Sciences in Bethesda, MD.
luleey
congrats zillahgirl!! it sounds great. i'm sure you'll rock them there.
sukouyant
Congratulations to you zillah!
mermaidgirl13
Zillah, how goes the job?
zillahgirl
Amazing! I love it!!! Everyone I work with is absolutely nuts, in the best of all possible ways. It's the perfect place for me! laugh.gif
sukouyant
Arg it's funny cause it's true...

IPB Image
zillahgirl
Thank god that isn't an issue at my library. (shudder)
luleey
congrats zillah!! that sounds wonderful. i have interviews this coming week...fingers crossed...wink.gif
zillahgirl
Good luck luleey! I bet you'll knock 'em dead!

Note: I am STILL tired of people saying to me, "You had to go to grad school for that?"

sassygrrl
Okay stupid question, but I don't want this thread to die--

What are some of the best grad schools for getting your masters in library science? I really do this...I'm just dreading studying for the GRE.. boo-hiss.
sad.gif
silverhalide
My best friend is going to University of Pittsburgh for his MILS, he also checked out North Carolina, Chapel Hill--although he wasn't that impressed with Chapel Hill city wise. Those are the two that I know. Good Luck! Librarians are awesome!
nickclick
i have a couple of friends that went to Rutgers U for library science. One got his Bachelor's and one her Master's.
period_monster
have you looked into Indiana University-Bloomington? it's a small town, but only an hour from indy.
bloomers has a certain charm. i don't know much about the library science program, but it is an
affordable town when living on a meager grad student stipend. just a thought...
sukouyant
I'm beginning to consider which branch of LS I'd like to go into if they miraculously let me into grad school in the near future. I got transferred recently to a rare kid's book archive which I adore, although systems management might suit me better, still very uncertain.

I know we did this when this thread started, but would anyone mind doing a roll call again? What kind of archivists and info professionals do we have in this thread nowadays?

Me, I work in the public library system in my city and have for - a long time now.

nickclick
A Hipper Crowd of Shushers in NY Times

i'm not a regular in this thread, but i browse once in a while since i'm a photo editor for a children's nonfiction (library) book publisher, and i have a couple of friends that are librarians.

suko, i'd love to hear more about the rare kid's book archive....
sukouyant
QUOTE(nickclick @ Jul 11 2007, 09:03 AM) *
A Hipper Crowd of Shushers in NY Times

i'm not a regular in this thread, but i browse once in a while since i'm a photo editor for a children's nonfiction (library) book publisher, and i have a couple of friends that are librarians.

suko, i'd love to hear more about the rare kid's book archive....

Hee I love the drink names at that party.
Hmm what's there to tell? It's a pretty outstanding collection; manuscripts, old children's games of the last two centuries, original illustrations. The librarian's job here includes pouncing diplomatically on important artifacts and collections when they become available (when collectors or authors/illustrators die). Most of this stuff is gorgeous, in the way that children's books always are. Beautifully illustrated, ornate leather binding, gold coloured leafs. The inscriptions in some of the older material are priceless and often very sweet. Sometimes they are gifts From Daddy or Grammie, sometimes it's kid's handwriting.

Nickclick, how did you qualify for your job?
nickclick
that sounds so cool. i'd love a day just to browse that collection. i spend so much time looking at reproductions of images - artwork, manuscripts, etc - that i could use a day of good ol' dusty browsing.

i have a fine arts degree with an emphasis in photography and art history. well, those just happen to be the classes i took most. out of college i shot full-time for some local newspapers for a few years, then wanted wekeends and holidays off and more $, so i switched to an administrative position in the photo dept. at a textbook publisher. from there i met some photo researchers and learned the job and got here, where i've been for 1 1/2 years. it's a fun job mostly. today i set up our mini studio and took photos of crafts for our how-to crafts books. but mostly i'm searching online and contacting photo agencies, archives, libraries, museums, historical societies, etc. we just published a young adult bio of dorothea lange, the depression-era photog, and she's always been a hero of mine. i got to look thru all her photos and decide which to publish. it was kinda like i got to curate a tiny retrospective, so cool. i even took the pic of the house in hoboken NJ where she grew up! but besides bios and crafts, we do science and history books, so i'm all looking at manuscript images of William the Conqueror one day and photos of baby monkeys the next.
dusty
Sukouyant's library is quite lovely on the outside too. I was there a couple of months ago at a pulp fiction show.

I know I've said this about a million times, but I can't abide it when patrons whisper at me. It annoys the fuck outta me.

Apparently I am a soon-to-be unemployed archivist, as my archives is shutting down next year. How will I be Dusty if I'm not dusty anymore?
Moonpieluv
Hey all, I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere down the line, but I'm am currently looking for a job in a new city and have always wanted to have a job dealing with some area of the library. Now... I'm going for my Master's in English. So duh... I love to be around books. I love to help others find what they are looking for...
Without having any library science experience specifically in my background, how can I get a job within the adminstrative, etc. department? I try to go to the website, but the postings just seem so rigid or under-paid. Would you suggest a more internal way to approach it?
That is, how can I qualify for job within the library without a library science degree and still get paid enough to support myself solo?
derrr... sorry if this sounds turd-like.
sassygrrl
wondering that as well.. so don't feel turd like.
nickclick
i work for a children's library book publisher. most of the editors here were english majors. it's not the library environment you are probably looking for, but everyone here's also into books and we do research most of the day. so maybe it's worth looking into book publishing jobs.
Moonpieluv
Yeah... I'm looking into that, as well. There's just not a huge amount to choose from down here in the sticks, though. huh.gif
But, thanks for the suggestion! I would love to have your job, nickclick!
nickclick
well, publishers often hire freelance photo researchers. if you know libraries and archives more than photography, you'd be especially useful to history textbook publishers who would need help with contacting and scouring those collections. and they would pay the most and give the most work anyways.

we also hire freelance proofreaders. that i know for sure. sometimes we also use freelancers to index or fact-check. again, maybe not your ideal but freelancing may free your time while going to school.
dusty
What the stylish archivist is wearing:
The blue kohl at the bottom of the page...
http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/coll...D=CATEGORY20903
sukouyant
Moonpieluv, it's tough if not impossible to break into unionized fields without starting at the lowest paid rung, or getting the degree and being hired outside of the union..

Nickclick, thanks for all of this useful info you're posting--i hadn't even considered the historico-publishing field as a possibility before.

Dusty I can't believe they're shutting you down! You'll always be "Dusty" to me...

See here for a ghostly music video by a band called Haunted Love about the revenge of librarians ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne_WXP7lUWM
faerietails2
*peeks into thread*

I have questions.

1) Do you need a MA of library science to be a librarian, or are there an undergrad degree programs for that?
2) If I were to go for the MA library science degree, how long do those programs usually take?

*scratches head* I had another question, but I can't remember it. Oh well...

I didn't think I'd want to go back to school so soon, having just finished my MA in May, but I can't find a job (granted a women's history degree is kinda worthless as an MA even though it's from one of the best programs in the country). But I've been debating the library science degree for quite some time now, and I'm torn between that and going for a PhD in women's studies or literature. I think I'd like being a librarian or an archivist a lot, and I think I'd be really good at it.

I was also looking at some higher ed programs in Texas (where I'm originally from), and you can get your MA library science degree (from Texas Women's College) completely paid for if you're a librarian in a small or rural town in Texas, which is why I asked about the bachelor's degree thing. Because if I could get a job as a small town librarian that's semi-close to a metropolitan area (and there are plenty), that would rock because then I could get a second MA paid for by the state of Texas.

nicklick, how do you even get into freelancing? i would love to do some freelance proofreading/writing on the side, and I'm so close to NYC that i know there's work available. i just have no idea how to find it! i signed on to write some encyclopedia entries for this multi-volume book being published in '09, but that was kind of a fluke. i just want to be able to use my degree some something. *sigh*
nickclick
well, i only know photo research stuff, and most people i use i met at other jobs or hire thru word of mouth. but i'd suggest checking craigslist and mediabistro for job listings. mediabistro also has a freelance marketplace where you can post a bio.

And how cool is this? The Feminist Press is seeking an editorial director
dusty
Yes, you need a master's degree to be a librarian, usually its Master of Library Science or Master of Information Studies or something similar. So for instance, I have an MLS. Normally, it is a two year program, but I know of at least one 12 month program here in Canada, I'm sure its not the only one. There haven't been library undergrad programs for many, many years. There are also Master of Archival Studies programs, but then we have a slightly different slant on that in Canada than in the US.

I think the Texas situation probably bears more looking into. Maybe they have a real shortage and they do expect to train their own librarians.

We also have library technicians and archives technicians in Canada, and that is a community college diploma, also two years, but you don't need an undergrad to take it. I think you probably have library technicians in the US as well.
ToyBox
Any other public librarians out there?

I'm in one of those public libraries that gets
inundated with kids at 3:00 every weekday afternoon.

Other than the babysitting, I like my job.

britarchivist
I worked at my HS library and my college library. I have never relly pursued being a librarian, but Im sure it wouldnt be too hard
nickclick
QUOTE(ToyBox @ Aug 25 2007, 10:55 PM) *
Any other public librarians out there?

I'm in one of those public libraries that gets
inundated with kids at 3:00 every weekday afternoon.

Other than the babysitting, I like my job.

there was a problem with a library here in NJ recently, i'll have to look online for an article. but the library actually closed in the afterschool hours because teens were using it as a hangout. and many people were upset, saying the library should be welcoming kids rather than throwing them out. they should probably get creative about giving them something to do.
sukouyant
the library system in my city has been running a sustained campaign to attract and interest teenagers in the library.
as long as everyone learns to respect each other and the house rules, no problemo. in fact some <i>staff</i> are given training on the respect part. teenagers can smell a sneer at 40 paces.

anyhoo, i work at the public library too...it's alright.
ToyBox
I read that article about the library in NJ that closed after school.

After school programing is important, but many of the kids who are
disruptive aren't interested in programs.

I'm bummed tonight because I had to call the cops on
two groups of possible gang bangers that were about to have a confrontation in
front of the library. This happened at 8 pm.

The library administrators where I work
refuse to get any security, so the job lands on the
librarians. This is unfortunate. Not only is it stressful but it prohibits the librarians from concentrating
on good service to those patrons who are actually using the library.

I used to work at a library for Planned Parenthood and I felt safer there...bomb threats, anthrax, protesters and all!
sukouyant
Is there any way your staff can document incidents in order to pressure your admin to hire security?
ToyBox
We do document incidents. We fill out incident reports and up until
recently kept statistics on behavioral problems. We recently stopped doing this
because our new manager said it was "too depressing".

The staff have been asking for years to get some kind of security.

Admin seems to have a big mental block on this issue.

I just don't see what the big deal is. A lot of libraries have
security these days. I think staff and patrons would feel a lot better about being in the library.

They say they don't have the money, but they just hired a new Asst. Administrator and
made a part-time reference position into a full-time position this year.

Sorry to be venting so much.

I really do like my job over all!
raisingirl
What a damn shame, Nickclick. When I was growing up, I hung out in the library with my friends a lot -- sometimes to study, sometimes to gossip and not use our indoor voices. Even though I can remember several times being asked to leave the library because my friends and I wouldn't or couldn't shut up (oh gosh, ever had a case of the giggles while looking up naughty stuff in the card catalog?), I don't know what I would have done with myself or who I would have become if I didn't have my hometown's public library as a refuge.
faerietails2
Well I finally took the plunge and applied to a MLS program! I can't belive I'm attempting this so soon after finishing my MA (this past May!), but it's been something I've been thinking about for quite some time now. Plus, I know I can get a job with a MLS, as opposed to my current state in jobless purgatory.

I already sent the main application into admissions, but I still have to send in the second application/letters of recommendation to the SLIS department, etc. *sigh* It's a pain in the butt.
vixen_within
Library grrrls!
I've been in the public library system for years, and am on the verge of applying to grad school so will have lots of questions along those lines soon.

My question today is for Americans or anyone who has experience, knowledge of New York libraries (especially public) and the standards of work there. My boyfriend has been urging me to move there, but I'm reluctant to give up my position in a really great public library system, for one that I fear will be 2nd rate. Am I being unfair to NYPL? I'm hoping someone will say yes...
sassygrrl
Hi vixen! I'm not too sure about NYU.

So, I've decided to apply to UW and some other schools out west. I'm taking the GRE in a few months, and going to start working on my statement of purpose. Is there any advice anyone can give me? They want a SOP, 1 additional question, and why I would pick the residential vs online program. Faerie, any advice?

I just don't want to pull my hair out in the process. I haven't written an essay in about 8 years!!

faerietails
hey sassy! for my SOP, i think i just wrote about why now was the good time for me to do the program, as well as why i wanted to become a librarian (as well as what type of institution you want to work for, or what kind of librarian/archivist you want to be). i might have put something in there about my long term goals, too.

can i just say...library school is kicking my ass, and i think a big part of that has to do with the fact that it's an online program? i mean, one of the classes is fine (children's lit). but the info and technology stuff? it's reaaaaally hard to grasp searching techniques and stuff without being in a classroom and watching the teacher explain it through lecture. and then a lot of the people in my program are teachers or already working in libraries, so i think a lot of them already know some of this stuff, whereas half the time i'm like, "huh?"

plus, i feel like i'm always drowning in work because i'm doing it full-time (3 classes), plus teaching 3 classes at the local community college, plus helping to plan a fundraiser coming up next month for my second job. it's INSANE! all that being said, i do look forward to eventually graduating and finding a nice, stable job with benefits so that i won't have to spread myself all over the place just so i can pay my rent!

vixen, i live in the 'burbs outside nyc, and some of the public libraries here are amazing (of course, there's also serious wealth in this area). i haven't been to any in the city, but i think it all just depends on the library and the area it's in. some go out of their way to reach out to their community, and some...not so much.
sassygrrl
Faerietails, thanks for the advice. The recruiter last week told me that the SOP was the most important part. I'm nervous about the application. I already have the letters of rec lined up though. Luckily, I'm still friends with many of my old professors. I know she was selling UW, but it was a very good interview. Mcgeek got to speak to her as well about his goals at UW. We really got so excited to go back to school in general.

I'm sorry school is kicking your ass. That scares me as well. I'm not nearly as techy as I used to be.

Vixen, how's it going??

vixen_within
Hey! It's going ...so so. My moving to NY is still up in the air, and my current situation is looking as sweet as ever. Which isn't saying much - it's just I finally have a senority level that matters when it comes to moving up in the organization.

I still might end up going to school in the U.S. but I might try one of the online programs instead of moving there. I heard that San Fran's LD program is pretty solid.

Faerietails, this is as bad as it's going to get for you. I believe that autumn semesters _everywhere_ are notorious for being stress beasts. If you can pull through this with the demands on your time, if you can stay on top of your school work you'll be doing okay in January and the rest of the new year. I know how hard it is though. This is when you figure out a method for staying on top and sane. If I knew then what I know now, I would have dropped some of my extra responsibilities in favour of concentrating on school.

eta: I know this sounds like crazy talk considering the demands on your time right now, but have you considered getting a tutor?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.