Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Procrastination Hell
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Working Grrls
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Persiflager
Printing out stuff is progress, crazyoldcatlady! It's all about tricking yourself into thinking you've done most of it already - right now I'm trying to trick myself into thinking that the rough pencil scribbles in my notebook are really a decent first draft job application, and all I need to do is tidy them up up a bit.... sigh.

I'm not fooling me one little bit.
Persiflager
Woohoo, the job advert has been taken down so I don't have to do the application!

Wait a minute..... darn.
stargazer
i wish i could wrinkle up my nose like samantha from betwitched and my dissertation would be done.
SunnySurf
heyy everyone! so my method of procrastination is cooking and i wanted to make my boyfriend something special for our anniversary, does any one have any ideas or good recipes?! it would be greatly appreciated!!
hellotampon
I have a paper due on Monday and I'm working the weekend so I need to get a big chunk of it done today. I've been "working on it" all day but only have a couple paragraphs. Instead, I've been engrossed in chapters of the textbook that have nothing to do with my paper. I always do this... I don't crack open the book the entire semester (except for that first week), until something is due, and then I end up reading the whole thing because it's so interesting. If I attempt to do the reading when it's originally assigned, I have to force myself to concentrate and I retain nothing.

What really sucks is that I've gotten a B on every test so far. Before this I've always gotten As without reading. I don't know what happened this time, but it's ruined my perfect grades.
Lily_Anne
I procrastinate by hand-writing letters. This way I am making two people feel good instead of just me. My, aren't we good at rationalizing?? smile.gif
alluna
I work online.

Well, here I am on the BUST forum again. ph34r.gif

Next stop, Procrastination Station.

Wooo wooo!
crazyoldcatlady
things apparently more important than working on presentation:

Laundry
Digging car out from snow
Filing down feet callouses
Checking email obsessively
Eating cake neighbor dropped off
Thinking about working and feeling bad about not doing it
Calling people
BUSTing
Making lists on BUST
mouse
hello, i am here too! working from home=VERY BAD FOR YOU
starship
Been working on this essay all day....and only managed 350 words:/
other things achieved-
-laughing at oddbods on gumtree
-extensive youtube viewing
-'research' into dodgy boob-jobs
-ebay hunt
-new ice-cream creation involving pretty much everything yummy i had
-wondering if brad pitt would look hot as a black man
-using face of the future for experiments based on previous point
-reading trashy newspapers
-stalking strangers on flickr. in a non-creepy way might I add.
-discovering my ipod has little games on(!)
-checking I have all the ingredients in my cupboard for pancake day:)
-finding Bust topics i never even knew existed
-thinking "ill get stuck in to that essay in 5mins" about 1000000x

Think i'll go to bed blink.gif
crazyoldcatlady
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

i've had the whole day to start working on this presentation, and yet...
zoya
honestly, I'm having a real problem with procrastination. like it's starting to affect my work. I just can't seem to focus, and I end up fucking around online (like here) or pretty much anything else. I don't know how to get my focus on anything. I'm starting to get really frustrated, because it's not just a simple matter of only doing one thing at a time. I just can't seem to do it, no matter how hard I try... I've had focus before, it's not like I don't know how - I just CAN"T seem to for the last month or so.
candycane_girl
Ugh, I have a big test tomorrow. I haven't made it through even one powerpoint lecture. However, I've written down one formula. And I think I have one concept down.

zoya, I've been feeling the same as you for a while. I don't know what to do. I swear sometimes I feel like I have ADD. I'm really going to try hard this week but it's frustrating to feel like I can't concentrate on anything.
angie_21
I am at home for the next month waiting for work, and writing some papers I hope to get published this year. It's like school all over again, except no deadlines and a whole apartment to keep clean. So guess how much laundry and vacuuming I've been doing? I only hope that the bf doesn't think the personal maid service will continue once I get a job. Although right now I am just surfing around online..
BetseyJ
ugh, I've got the worst procrastination!

I get home from work, and I've got all these writing and blogging goals in mind, and they just seem to disappear once I walk through that door.

It doesn't help that my boyfriend doesn't get home from work til after 7pm, and I'm home with the puppy for two hours alone.

My moleskin has been helping me focus my goals and as a motivational tool, but anyone have any tips??

<3
Betsey J
(http://BetseyJ.Com)
raisingirl
Ugh. Reporting for duty.
period_monster
There are these midterms sitting on my kitchen table. Occasionally I'll grade two or three. More often than not, I ignore their existence. Unfortunately, spring break ends this week, and on Monday morning, my students will be expecting their exams. argh.
lilacwine13
I have the time, I have the place where I can access the internet, I have an updated resume and places to send it to, but instead I'm busting, posting pictures on Myspace and checking out other things that aren't going to get me hired.
girl_logic
Man, it's a thin line between the Sin Bin and Procrastination Hell. I guess I'll post this here. Instead of cleaning my dirt house, I spent this afternoon inventing my fake summer school course load. FYI I'm hoping to get into:

-folk dances and social customs of skeletons in the closet
-cloud watching and cloud shapes 101
-punctuality for procrastinators
and -advanced catspeak
ketto
I'm supposed to be working on this massive grant proposal to the federal government but it's soooooo big and complicated...can't someone else do it?
ketto
Oh my god! I'm going to be sick...the massive proposal I was just working on is totally gone! It has somehow vanished from my flash drive and is just gone and won't open...I had done more than half and it took me two days! FUck fuck fuck fuck fuck!!!! This is unbelievable!
period_monster
Yikes. (((Ketto))) Is there any chance that at least part of it is on your hard drive? My fingers are crossed for you.
ketto
There are about 2 paragraphs are saved on my home computer, but the rest was on my flash drive because I was doing it at work yesterday and stupidly didn't save it to my work computer. Such a mess...I'll admit, there were more than a few tears this morning but I called my co-workers and told them I had to miss some workshops we were doing today to work on this. One of them called me back and said she just felt awful when she heard my message. In the end I got so stressed out I really didn't do much today. But it's okay, I'm just going to work from home tomorrow and see if I can finished it...if not I can do some more on Friday.

It's just so frustrating because it's such a mammoth proposal in the first place and I was working on it in such fragmented pieces it's difficult to remember what I wrote in which section. *sigh*

Oh well, now I'm going out for drinks and dinner with a girlfriend.
girl_logic
Did it ever turn up Ketto? Is there the slim chance that the USB is carrying a virus? If it is and you're using windows, it might not be lost. It would still be visible on a computer using a different operating system like Linux.

I've been procrastinating all bloody day.

It's ten to 7. I promise to

a. package all of the mail outs for customers
b. at least SIT at the typewriter for an hour, even if it seems hopeless.

and remind myself that if i do a and b i can
c. sleep the sleep of the contented tonight.
ketto
Unfortunately it was all gone. It was never saved on the computer, but on the flash drive, which is the problem. If it had been on the computer I probably could have pulled it right back up.

I spent Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday morning re-doing it and now I'm working with others to do the final edits.

Since I ended up getting no other work done most of last week though, I'm only taking a break to bust while I eat my lunch. Back to work!

Good luck on A, B, and C! tongue.gif
girl_logic
Hey Ketto, that's what I meant. I had an infected flash drive a couple of weeks ago and it turned out that the files were available when it was plugged into the computer repair guy's Linux system, though not on Windows.
candycane_girl
It's 12:15am. I should have started studying at least by yesterday. All I've done today is shower, read (a novel), nap, watch tv and order pizza. And now I'm watching a movie online. Good lord what is wrong with me?!
MsKissyStarfish
This looks like an older topic, but one many people can relate with.
I have two very large time consuming projects- and will likely have for the next year. My family and I went on a short little holiday to a water park, and played like mad, was great fun. However, since being back for the last week I've just been stumbling and bumbling around trying to get back in the flow of the work. A camping trip is coming up this weekend, and my mom and brother are arriving tomorrow, and the procrastination bug has bitten.

What do you all do to break through that wall?

Girl_Logic I love your "Summer Classes!" Very cute, good luck getting in. biggrin.gif
Persiflager
Hi MsKissyStarfish!

I break things like that down into manageable chunks so that they don't seem so daunting, and then work out a rough timetable. I look for the nasty bits that I know I'll avoid and plan them into a time when I know they won't be so hard, I work out which actions need to happen early on because other actions depend on them (or they take a long time), and I make a list of nice easy bits which I can knock off when I'm not so motivated, so that I'm still getting something done.

[Well, in an ideal world this is what I do! I definitely always work out which bits I know I'll try to put off, and think of ways to make them easier. I also try to make the timetable realistic.]

It sometimes helps if I sort actions by context, e.g. @phone, @computer, @out in town....

ETA: This blog post is quite useful.
girl_logic
Yeah, "wall" is a good turn of phrase for it. Some thing I try is change of scenery, but in a sustained and routine way (like 1and1/2 hours, same unique place, same time, every Saturday). My BF turned me on to using a kitchen timer and breaking the work up into 20 minute segments and walking around, getting water, checking email or whatever in between, then going back. 20 minutes is about when my attention starts to wander on particular projects. Putting myself on a clock kind of makes the breaks seem "safer", takes away the guilt because I know I'm not slacking, I'm resting and will be going back. The trick is obeying the clock.
MsKissyStarfish
Thank you for the welcome Persiflager, and advice especially on the layout of your timetable. Very logical and easy to adapt biggrin.gif. Girl_Logic kitchen timer =awesome, I have to pick one of those up. I just downloaded an egg timer-that hatches a chick- very odd) for my dashboard (have a Mac), and am looking for an timer App. Thanks for the ideas ladies, gave me a kick in the pants. smile.gif

Have a good weekend. smile.gif
angie_21
When I had to write my thesis, I sat down and spent a day figureing out how long it would take to get different parts of the project, and made deadline of what I wanted to have odne at the end of each month. I also never underestimated how much planning time I would need. Doing prep work - research, setting up the office, organizing supplies, writing task lists, whatever - is so important to getting yourself into the right frame of mind to do the work, and also helps you get things done faster when you actually start working on them, because you know exactly what you're doing and why. It's also an easy, less stressful way to get started than just jumping ito the middle of it.

The other thing I do is never take a whole week off of that project. Even if it's only a few hours a week, I have to put in some work and keep the project in the back of my mind, or I will forget about it and blow it off. If it's on your mind, your subconscious is getting work done for you, but if it's completely out of your head, you'll forget everything you were supposed to be doing!
girl_logic
QUOTE(angie_21 @ May 22 2009, 09:04 AM) *

The other thing I do is never take a whole week off of that project. Even if it's only a few hours a week, I have to put in some work and keep the project in the back of my mind, or I will forget about it and blow it off. If it's on your mind, your subconscious is getting work done for you, but if it's completely out of your head, you'll forget everything you were supposed to be doing!

that's like, the holy grail of tips right there.
MsKissyStarfish
Awesome ideas! biggrin.gif I've been procrastinating less and working more, which feels really healing. Even though I was rather derailed, it is nice to be able to jump on the train again. Lol. Just started my three year old little guy homeschooling so while a huge initial expenditure of time, he and I will both have more regular hours. smile.gif

Do you all work everyday on your projects, or a few times a week?
angie_21
I find I get the most done when I work on it for a few days straight, then take a few days off. Some people like to have certain days a week that they reserve time to work on something, but my schedule just doesn't allow for that. Do you only have evenings to work on it, or do you have time during the day? With my thesis, I had all day, so I worked for a week straight, then worked a part time job and cleaned up the house for the next week.
crazyoldcatlady
dammit. after a hellacious week (really, which weeks aren't?) i want to sit on my ass and not think. but i have a 3,000 word research manuscript due at the end of the month. that i haven't started. at all. oh, i pulled some books off the shelf and piled them in a corner, but that's as far as i got.

i mean really. there is hair piling up on the floor in the corner of my bathroom. i surely should attend to that first, si?
angie_21
QUOTE(crazyoldcatlady @ Jun 6 2009, 08:02 AM) *
i mean really. there is hair piling up on the floor in the corner of my bathroom. i surely should attend to that first, si?

Always! Big projects are the only reason my house gets clean.
MsKissyStarfish
"i mean really. there is hair piling up on the floor in the corner of my bathroom. i surely should attend to that first, si?"

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Jun 7 2009, 06:09 PM) *

blink.gif laugh.gif Quite true!

robinuk
Shit, i feel like i been procrastinating my death all my life, does that make sense? Nah, ok, seriously, i wanted to start a business that i knew would work,as time went on i did start the business and now when i think about procastination i reckon it is a form of fear, who agrees?
MsKissyStarfish
Ugh go away spammer robinuk. Grr.

How is summer treating the procrastinators among us? It is mixed for me. I'm reaching more of my goals, but feel a bit lazy on the few hot summer days we've had. Still, using the internets resources more, have a functional website now (still adding content lol) and make strides in the right direction. smile.gif

Do your procrastination and work habits change when the summertime rolls in? Or not? smile.gif
sassygrrl
Summer is not helping my habits. I'm getting things done, just not as quickly. I think it really depends on the heat.
angie_21
I have done nothing all morning! It's 12:30 and I've sent one email, made one phone call, and.. well, I managed to take a shower! To be fair, I am still waiting for a new assignments at work right now, but really, I could be doing so many more productive things than sitting here compulsively checking my email. Finally I have a chance to attend to my personal life and instead I am just bumming around.
lananans
I have a major research project that I have yet to start, even though I have known about it for over a month. I have to do a proposal and annotated bibliography all within a week, and have the 20 page paper written in a month.

I am not feeling so good about it right now, but I plan on spending all day tomorrow in the library...

Stupid procrastination!
sunshine0
Can it really be sixty-two years ago that I first saw you?

It is truly a lifetime, I know. But as I gaze into your eyes now, it seems like only yesterday that I first saw you, in that small café in Hanover Square. (power leveling)

From the moment I saw you smile, as you opened the door for that young mother and her newborn baby. I knew. I knew that I wanted to share the rest of my life with you.

I still think of how foolish I must have looked, as I gazed at you, that first time. I remember watching you intently, as you took off your hat and loosely shook your short dark hair with your fingers. I felt myself becoming 1)immersed in your every detail, as you placed your hat on the table and cupped your hands around the hot cup of tea, gently blowing the steam away with your 2)pouted lips.

From that moment, everything seemed to make perfect sense to me. The people in the café and the busy street outside all disappeared into a 3)hazy 4)blur. All I could see was you.

All through my life I have relived that very first day. Many, many times I have sat and thought about that the first day, and how for a few 5)fleeting moments I am there, feeling again what is like to know true love for the very first time. It pleases me that I can still have those feelings now after all those years, and I know I will always have them to comfort me.

Not even as I shook and trembled uncontrollably in the 6)trenches, did I forget your face. I would sit huddled into the wet mud, terrified, as the hails of bullets and mortars crashed down around me. I would 7)clutch my rifle tightly to my heart, and think again of that very first day we met. I would cry out in fear, as the noise of war beat down around me. But, as I thought of you and saw you smiling back at me, everything around me would be become silent, and I would be with you again for a few precious moments, far from the death and destruction. It would not be until I opened my eyes once again, that I would see and hear the 8)carnage of the war around me.

I cannot tell you how strong my love for you was back then, when I returned to you on leave in the September, feeling 9)battered, bruised and fragile. We held each other so tight I thought we would burst. I asked you to marry me the very same day and I 10)whooped with joy when you looked deep into my eyes and said "yes" to being my bride.(wow power level)

I`m looking at our wedding photo now, the one on our dressing table, next to your jewellery box. I think of how young and innocent we were back then. I remember being on the church steps grinning like a 11)Cheshire cat, when you said how dashing and handsome I looked in my uniform. The photo is old and faded now, but when I look at it, I only see the bright vibrant colors of our youth. I can still remember every detail of the pretty wedding dress your mother made for you, with its fine delicate lace and pretty pearls. If I concentrate hard enough, I can smell the sweetness of your wedding bouquet as you held it so proudly for everyone to see.

I remember being so over enjoyed, when a year later, you gently held my hand to your waist and whispered in my ear that we were going to be a family.

I know both our children love you dearly; they are outside the door now, waiting.

Do you remember how I panicked like a mad man when Jonathon was born? I can still picture you laughing and smiling at me now, as I 12)clumsily held him for the very first time in my arms. I watched as your laughter faded into tears, as I stared at him and cried my own tears of joy.

Sarah and Tom arrived this morning with little Tessie. Can you remember how we both hugged each other tightly when we saw our tiny granddaughter for the first time? I can`t believe she will be eight next month. I am trying not to cry, my love, as I tell you how beautiful she looks today in her pretty dress and red shiny shoes, she reminds me so much of you that first day we met. She has her hair cut short now, just like yours was all those years ago. When I met her at the door her smile wrapped around me like a warm glove, just like yours used to do, my darling.world of warcraft power leveling

I know you are tired, my dear, and I must let you go. But I love you so much it hurts to do so.

As we grew old together, I would tease you that you had not changed since we first met. But it is true, my darling. I do not see the wrinkles and grey hair that other people see. When I look at you now, I only see your sweet tender lips and youthful sparkling eyes as we sat and had out first picnic next to that small stream, and chased each other around that big old oak tree. I remember wishing those first few days together would last forever. Do you remember how exciting and wonderful those days were?

I must go now, my darling. Our children are waiting outside. They want to say goodbye to you.

I wipe the tears away from my eyes and bend my frail old legs down to the floor, so that I can kneel beside you. I lean close to you and take hold of your hand and kiss your tender lips for the very last time.
crazyoldcatlady
can someone light a fire under my ass? i've managed to lay around all morning shuffling through my itunes library. it's a nice day out, and the house needs cleaned, but i refuse to acknowledge either.
lilacwine13
Is it bad that I'm using deer season for an excuse not to go outside and enjoy the weather?

And having a headache for not doing anything productive when I've got dishes and laundry to do?
candycane_girl
I need someone to kick me in the ass! Seriously, I have four assignments due the week of the 23rd and have not yet completed any of them! I'm going to write one of my English papers tomorrow and today I have done minimal work on my marketing project. Okay, I swear I'm getting it all done!!
coffeebean
good luck this week ccgirl...I know that this is a big week for you!!!
candycane_girl
Thanks, coffeebean! 2 assignments down, 3 more to go!
candycane_girl
I have a five page essay due on Friday and I have only written one page. WTF! Why can't I write? I haven't had a block this bad in so long. I am about thisclose to just smoking up and then writing because it has worked in the past (okay, only one time but I ended up writing the paper in one sitting and getting an A).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.