Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bust: Discuss.
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
i_am_jan
mouse: I love the name of your kitchen knife, ha ha wink.gif I know what ya mean, I don't usually re-read books either, but along with whatever novel I'm reading at any given time, I'm usually also re-reading something by Lynda, her books are in constant circulation here. Also, I don't usually "own" books, i get them from the library. Except for Lynda's, those I have to buy because they get re-read so much ...

BUST: Wanted to say that I LOVE, LOVE the last issue. It was very timely for me. As a woman who recently traveled across the country by herself. I found nothing but kindness out of strangers, much like the girl in the issue who took a sole bike ride (wow, so much admiration for this woman!!). I found travelling alone so very liberating. It's something we should talk more of. If we can be independent and travel alone, anything is possible girls! You wouldn't believe the fun and how you're able to be selfish and see ONLY what you want to see instead of sharing the trip with others, tee hee ; ) I took the bus and was safe and sound. The bus is warm and cozy. Got a lot of reading done, which I wouldn't have, had I travelled with someone else. I found that people want to help you when they find you're alone. They're also very intrigued and I found people want to get to know someone who travels alone...want to find out what it is that makes a person have the guts to go away by herself : ) But ya know what? I don't know that I would've *thought* to take that trip alone if there hadn't been so much talk of going alone in BUST. That's the only place I've really heard encouragement to get out there and go it if even if you're a single gal. Keep talking about it ladies, all most single girls need is a little encouragement, we definitely have the ambition!!
yomemomymomemo
I loved this month's issue! Yay Niecy Nash! Yay ladies biking across America reminding me that if I want to bad enough I can do it too! What really an impression on me though was this month's pop-tart. Rock N' Roll High School is about the last girl teen-comedy character I related to at all. Joey fixation n' everything. My car even now is still much less cool than Riff's.
kittenb
{bump}
faerietails2
I kind of have more respect for Diabo Cody after reading her interview (her Juno-speak in previous interviews--like Oprah--was obnoxious). Why can't she use her grown-up speak more often??

I'm still flipping through my issue, but I like what I see!
i_am_jan
kittenb: Thanks for the bumpage tongue.gif

Okay, this month's issue was a dream for me...Amy Sedaris PLUS Lynda Barry!!

Sheesh, after reading the interview, I realized the thing I admire most about Amy is how she sheds her femininity for the sake of her comedy. It made me wonder: if men had necessarily to shed their masculinity/aspects of their gender in order to do comedy, would there BE ANY male comedians? I have to think the answer is a big, fat no, LOL!

Also, I love the idea of jumping out of a cake for a group of women (us: Busties). It's so cool how the magazine gives US ~ (women) little treats like this which have been historically reserved for men only. Like the PIN-UP of Tina Fay? For us gals? !? I just had to revel in the fabulousity of all of this rolleyes.gif
mouse
HOORAY FOR LYNDA BARRY!

i wonder if the powers that be got the inspiration from this thread? wink.gif

the diablo cody interview was great. i was really happy to see an interview with her where she got to explain herself clearly. i liked juno--not sure if it deserved its hype machine, but definitely enjoyable and endearing--and it was depressing to see such a backlash all of a sudden. people adore judd apatow and just shrug off his disquieting neo-family-values & vague misogyny like it ain't no thang, but cody answers one too many questions about being a stripper and all of a sudden people who waxed poetic about her have made a total about-face. it was an eye opening interview and i'm really glad i read it.
olivarria
I love the Twin Peaks and Edie Beale homage!!! You know what I've wanted for so long? An Annie Hall-style fashion spread! That would rock my world! Ooh, and you know what else? Please interview Martha Wainwright? Please please, I beg! And I very much liked the 3 Women tribute as well. I love that movie!

Later edit: Some other ideas for fashion shoots: An homage to Ingmar Bergman's Persona, a collection of writers (Dorothy Parker, Mary Shelley, Sylvia Plath, Virginia Woolf, Anais Nin, Erica Jong....)

-A tribute to silent film actresses: Clara Bow, Olive Thomas, Louise Brooks, Lillian Gish, etc.

-An homage to artists of the 20th century: Georgia O'Keefe, Guerilla Girls, Diane Arbus, Judy Chicago, Audrey Flack, Barbara Kruger, Annie Liebovitz, Miriam Schapiro, Cindy Sherman. Something like the fashion homage to musicians that you did a while back, with Meg White, Grace Jones, etc.? That would be so great!
crazyoldcatlady
so...... why is the cover photo of amurri so blurry? am i missing some sort of "arsty" angle? 'cos it makes BUST look like a fan-mag printed out of someone's basement.
erinjane
Oh wow, I didn't notice that until you mentioned it but it's pretty bad. I can see how I could miss that, I haven't even picked it up to read it yet, but someone on staff should've caught that.
Moonpieluv
QUOTE(olivarria @ Jul 25 2008, 02:45 AM) *

Later edit: Some other ideas for fashion shoots: An homage to Ingmar Bergman's Persona, a collection of writers (Dorothy Parker, Mary Shelley, Sylvia Plath, Virginia Woolf, Anais Nin, Erica Jong....)

-A tribute to silent film actresses: Clara Bow, Olive Thomas, Louise Brooks, Lillian Gish, etc.

-An homage to artists of the 20th century: Georgia O'Keefe, Guerilla Girls, Diane Arbus, Judy Chicago, Audrey Flack, Barbara Kruger, Annie Liebovitz, Miriam Schapiro, Cindy Sherman. Something like the fashion homage to musicians that you did a while back, with Meg White, Grace Jones, etc.? That would be so great!

I second ALL of these suggestions....
hellotampon
QUOTE(Moonpieluv @ Aug 14 2008, 02:02 AM) *
I second ALL of these suggestions....

I third them!
thirtiesgirl
Great suggestions, Moonpie! In keeping with the music fashion idea, I'd suggest Beth Ditto, Sleater-Kinney, Blondie, Stereolab, Patsy Cline, Nina Simone and Ella Fitzgerald. ...Ok, those last three are from a completely different time period, so maybe a retro diva fashion spread?
i_am_jan
Have to second the Blondie/Debbie Harry. That woman has been soooo influential to women that it's not funny. In music, in fashion, in attitude. Also, she dared come out with all the boy rockstars to do a reunion tour in the 90s, in her 50's. THAT was ballsy...showing she is still ahead of her time...still kicking down those doors for us. It was AFTER that that Madonna prepared to tour at 50. Also, in interviews I've read with Deborah in the past, she doesn't want to discuss the past too much. She considers herself still an artist, still working, still relevant, and wants to discuss things that are happening NOW, rather than keep regurgitating the legendary past and living off that...

Kimya Dawson would make a fantastic cover person as well (maybe she'd wear the teddy bear suit).

As far as men we love, I'd LOVE to see Conan O'Brien. He's awesome! Genuinely, intelligently, funny as heck...seems to love women...has red hair and a NON-celebrity appearance...and a decidedly non-celebrity persona. His jokes are impromptu, raw, not condescending to his audience; rather, he's challenging to the sense of humor and always going further. Originally, he seemingly came from nowhere...he wrote for The Simpsons during the great early years. HEART HIM. (I realize there are certain stars that may be too big for BUST, but I think Conan is an exception to any rule).
mouse
beth ditto was on the cover a few issues back...and they had a blondie article, possibly in the same issue.

i'd love a feature with sarah vowell.
mouse
tbh i was a lil disappointed in this issue. i like eva amurri, and that interview was good, but the twin peaks fashion shoot was SO disappointing! now, bear in mind i am a HUUUUUUGE twin peaks fan and am actually currently re-watching it again (coop's just about to go up to one-eyed jack's with the ransom money for audrey, btw) so i'm not sure if anything anyone did would measure up for me, but it just fell flat. i think the thing that bugged me the most was the goddamn audrey horne model--since when is audrey horne a skinny stick? her whole appeal was that she was so soft and womanly and seductive while still being a highschool girl. girl had CURVES and knew how to use them. hips and boobs and softness--not plump by any means, but no boney model body either. call the model donna and i would've been fine, but don't ruin my audrey! mad.gif laura was pretty round-faced, too. sigh. i don't understand why bust keeps insisting on skinny minnies ALL THE TIME for their fashion shoots. sure, they represent a certain body type of girl, and i don't have anything AGAINST skinny girls, but you'd think that a feminist magazine's fashion shoot would be the place where one could expect to see a wider representation of body types--especially when basing it on a character who was never model-thin to begin with. for shame, bust.

also, i have to say, i'm getting sick of the uber-hipster one-handed reads. first fixies, now flavor-of-the-month music? and really, a record collector getting protective about her vampire weekend and arctic monkeys on vinyl? SERIOUSLY? *HURL* at least do something obvious, like sticky fingers with the working zipper, or something. i'm not even a real vinyl snob, and that offended my sensibilities. yeesh.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(mouse @ Aug 19 2008, 08:52 PM) *
beth ditto was on the cover a few issues back...and they had a blondie article, possibly in the same issue.

i'd love a feature with sarah vowell.

Yes. She cool. I still want more Beth & Blondie, tho. And maybe the kids from Gravy Train and CSS. Sexxay. ...And on the retro punk biddy tip, Vanessa Briscoe Hay from Pylon (whose first record, Gyrate, 1980, has recently been reissued on DFA Recs). [Pylon, btw, for those who don't know, came straight outta Georgia and were admired by both REM & the B-52s because Pylon were the shit. REM even covered Pylon's song Crazy on Dead Letter Office, they were such big fans. ...Back when REM were still good.]

Vanessa Briscoe Hay:

Pylon, back in the day (1981):

i_am_jan
In re: this month's issue: I just want to express how much I appreciate opening up a women's magazine and having A BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY suggested to me. Most of us have been going on for ages about how men routinely have this sort of thing suggested to them from all sides ~ as though it's a normal thing for a guy to have entrepreneurial instincts, vision, need to network, etc. So I absolutely LOVE. that BUST thinks about us in that same vein. I am ALWAYS INTERESTED in hearing about potential business opportunities. It's just the sort of thing that we women need...to be motivated by other women who have done it and shared their strategies; and making these thoughts/visions/goals a part of the female "career psyche", if you will...same as most men have, just by default. *Thanks again, BUST!!* and please keep it coming...we gals are VERY enterprising and always need MORE networking! BUST has been the only resource which continually suggests to me ways to earn money / better my career while wearing comfortable shoes. It's GREAT to be inspired to MAKE money, rather than always being the object of a sales pitch. Yes, I'm gushing, but we are desperate for this sort of thing.

also:

thirtiesgirl: Pylon sounds great!! Thanks for sharing that ~ I'm amazed to never have heard of them before?! (what a shame!)
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(i_am_jan @ Aug 26 2008, 03:02 PM) *
thirtiesgirl: Pylon sounds great!! Thanks for sharing that ~ I'm amazed to never have heard of them before?! (what a shame!)

smile.gif See What Song is in Your Head for more Pylon blather, Youtubes, etc.
mouse
wow, i've been doing this a lot lately...this was supposed to go in the general knowledge thread. sorry gals sad.gif
candycane_girl
Okay, I'm a bit annoyed. I saw the cover of this month's Bust on the main webpage and it looked great! All of the articles that it listed on the cover sounded interesting and I hadn't gotten last month's issue so I wanted to get this one. But I can't find it anywhere! Even our huge bookstore chain didn't have it. It's so annoying to actually want to get a copy and not be able to find it, especially in such a big city. So I'm just wondering, how widely available is it in the U.S.?
crazyoldcatlady
i think it's pretty easy to find, moreso in the large bookstore chains than anything supermarket-y. and this is coming from someone who lives in a place that needs shirpas to courier mail in and out of the region.

i'd actually like to kvetch about the new issue. i think i'm indie enough, but putting that rilo kiley chick on the cover... i opened my mail box, thought "who the hell is this", and flipped through some pages to figure it out. rilo kiley is played out (2006, anyone?).

BUT, they did have my soulmate Sarah Haskins, so I guess all is forgiven.
mouse
dude sarah haskins should have been on the cover. i'm so sick of jenny lewis.
auralpoison
Y'know, I was surprised to find Bust out here in the sticks, but there she was. I think I may be the only one that buys it & I usually buy two so I can cut them up for art projects. Back home the only market that carried it was Wild Oats, I usually bought mine at the Tattered Cover.

I'm over the whole Jenny Lewis/Rilo Kiley thing, too. I'd rather listen to Karen Dalton or something.

I wasn't pleased about the last one with Sarah Silverman either. SS's schtick is so one note. "OMG! Such a pretty girl & that came out of her mouth?! HI-larious!" Yawn.
raisingirl
I think it's pretty widely available in the parts of the US I'm familiar with. Hell, I've even seen it at the checkout counters at Whole Foods! (There's always the option of getting a subscription, you know.)
candycane_girl
The only thing that has stopped me from getting a subscription is that a) I'm not always interested in who's on the cover and cool.gif I'm pretty sure that there isn't as much in the way of savings because I'm in Canada.

I like Jenny Lewis and that's one of the reasons that I wanted to get this issue. I was also interested in the stories about women in advertising, cocktails and Estelle. I was just shocked that one of our biggest bookstore chains didn't have it. However, it could have sold out.
crazyoldcatlady
yay for amber tamblyn. but i gotta say, the interview was dryer than a memaw's vagina.

may i suggest emma watson for future covers? i'm nowhere near a harry potter fan, but i read this interview, and she seems very level-headed and is a feminist.

as a side note, WTF kelly clarkson??
i love you! why do you hurt me so!?
kittenb
I really do like Emma Watson.

As for Kelly, well, it took me awhile to get politicized. Maybe she will catch up? I still love My December.
candycane_girl
Okay, I have to complain about something. I can't stand the cutesy way that Bust describes what's in its mag. I mean, doesn't anyone else get sick of the silly little rhymes and alliterations and puns? I get emails from Bust about events and things they have on sale and one section of the latest email was called "Breast Sellers". Really, Bust, really?!
girl_logic
I am not exactly devoted to the magazine, but I get the email updates and think they're fun. I like the playfulness. Makes me smile. smile.gif

ETA: I particularly like the title of the most recent email: Thank Your Maker This Mother's Day.
olivarria
I haven't received the new Kathy Griffin issue yet, but I do have some requests/suggestions for future issues:

- More financial advice, I cannot emphasize this enough. I think this should be a regular feature in every issue.

- Some great cover ladies would be Jennifer Jason Leigh, Wanda Sykes, Debra Winger, Hope Davis, Edie Falco, Jodie Foster, Julianne Moore, Allison Pill, Winona Ryder, and of course the great Sarah Haskins

Some other women that could be featured are Laura Dern, Isabella Rosselini, Joan Didion, Regina Spektor, Martha Plimpton, Dianne Wiest, Ellen Burstyn, and Anne Dudek (of House, Big Love, & Mad Men fame). Also, the film director Jane Campion.

I'm going to go check my mailbox now for the latest issue! xo Olive
annabananahannahmontana
i like maria bamford. i think there should be more articles on women comedians.

i really liked the kathy griffin article too.
candycane_girl
I just wanted to mention that I really enjoyed the article about labioplasty and the slew of other surgeries that women have in that region. I can't imagine wanting to change my vagina unless something actually happened to it and it changed somehow. I think the most frightening part was reading about women my age who want to get the surgery because they feel like their vag isn't "pretty" enough. I can't imagine feeling so horrible about such a special part of my body. So bravo Bust, that was a great story.
shoveit
Ditto with loving the labioplasty article. I had read about that kind of procedure before, but I had no idea how populat and widespread it has become. About a week ago I went with a friend to the doctors, and while i was sitting in the waiting room I came across a magazine called something like "Cosmetic Surgery Weekly", or some crap. It was a whole magazine filled with before and after pictures of all kinds of cosmetic surgeries, including really graphic pictures of labiaplasty procedure. I'm talking graphic as in visible stiched and blood around the labia, and this was sitting around a waiting room full of kids. I find cosmetic surgery for purely aesthetic reasons quite frustrating anyway, but this just pissed me off.

Just to add, I did advise the staff, in a nice way, that i didnt think it was appropriate to have material that condoned cosmetic surgery sitting around in a waiting room full of unwell adults and children.

Oh and also.. i thought it was interesting that the whole magazine had only two male images; both of which were for penis enlargements...
MissB
Olive, I'd like to add to your cover ladies list...

Emilie Autumn
Helena Bonham Carter
Yellow Thunder Woman (Of Bastard Fairies fame)
Kathleen Hanna
Indira Varma
Kim Stolz (from ANTM)
Rachael Stirling
Dita von Teese
Anne Hathaway

... and to the featured ladies

ANNIE (new album coming out this September!!!)
Charlotte Martin
humanist77
May I suggest D'arcy (Wretzky) of Smashing Pumpkins fame. I was just reading her wikipedia page, and that girl has had quite a colorful life. A true rock n' roll lifestyle. It'd probably be good to get some good press these days, or any at all, really. She was a pretty kick ass bass player chick in an extremely male dominated genre of music. Although I hear she's kind of psych ward material these days sad.gif
pollystyrene
One of the Windy City Rollers is her sister, humanist.

Speaking of roller derby, has Ellen Page been suggested for an interview?
mouse
can we please please please have something with gabourey sidibe??? like maybe a cover and a fashion shoot and a five page interview where she is TOTALLY AWESOME?
nickclick
Vag Magazine
ha ha makin' fun of BUST?
pollystyrene
Totally! I can't wait for the episode where their intern alienates everyone on their message board!
auralpoison
No doubt! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! laugh.gif
kittenb
QUOTE(nickclick @ Oct 19 2010, 12:20 PM) *
Vag Magazine
ha ha makin' fun of BUST?

Wow. Watching that brought back some of my most frustrating memories of working at my old hotline job. The meetings where everyone had these big flowery plans that I just knew would amount to nothing (I was right.) Not sure I can even find it that funny as I am currently applying for a different job with the same company. blink.gif

I does drive home why my former supervisor is considering a career in alcoholism.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.