Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Childfree by Choice!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62
pollystyrene
Misslady, I've pretty much always felt like that about people who are acquaintances, but now I've gotten to the point where I'm ambivalent about family member's kids. I guess I'm happy for them, but if I have to listen to LeBoy's sister whine about how tight money is going to be when their second kid is born in the next few weeks, I'm going to strangle her.

Well, um, if you had been using some, ANY kind of preventative methods last spring when you hadn't planned on trying to get pregnant again until this summer, I might feel an ounce of sympathy for you. But using nothing and then whining about it...duh. You both have fucking master's degrees- you should be able to figure this out.

*Sigh* One more little ankle-biter to buy presents for. I'm tired of other people's kids causing me to spend money, when that's about 60% of the reason I'm choosing to not have any. I think it's gonna be savings bonds and books from here on out.
culturehandy
I want to now when I'm going to get rewarded for not having children, and not missing time from work because of a sick kid.

People get financial reward for having kids, where's my NO-Baby bonus.
faerietails2
I know, ch. I was looking at the benefits plan for this job I applied for, and they're talking about all this great maternity/paternity leave, days off if your kid gets sick, etc. Single/childfree people are so screwed over by benefit plans.
turbojenn
The other day, I was thinking that the gov't needs to stop incentivizing spawning. Why should parents get tax breaks for each kid they have? We don't exactly have a birthrate problem in this country - really we should be giving a tax break to child-free families, for reducing carbon footprint, consumption, a potential for gov't spending, etc. I know its not a popular opinion, and many families count on that tax discount, but its an odd piece of tax code, in a giant mess of a tax code.

That, or we provide free birth-control at every pharmacy in the country...so at least there's a balance of available pregnancy prevention tools.
humanist77
urrghh..I was reading reviews for a couple of my favorite restaurants in Chicago, one of which is a BAR that happens to serve food, and the other is infamous for being boycotted by neighborhood mommies because they put up a polite sign on the door that says something like "please make sure your children use indoor voices", and of course that one had a ton of people in the reviews bitching about how that sign is discrimination (even though children are still allowed) and they're NEVER GOING BACK (hey, great!)..one woman was undeterred by the sign, and took her kids in anyway, and said the staff was "rude" to her because her kids "were loud, and they made a mess. That's what kids do." (she actually said this). This particular restaurant is a very small, cozy place, and if her kids were in there screaming and making a mess, I woulda been out of there instantly. screaming, flinging children just ruin any meal.

but the other one, a freaking loud, dark, smoky (this was written before the IL ban), non child-family-friendly BAR had a review from some guy who said he and his family went there on a FRIDAY night and got turned away because of course it is 21+, and he's just so angry because every public place in the world should cater to his crotch fruit and he's NEVER GOING BACK (yay!)

do people's IQs drop like 50 points after they breed? grrr...

/end rant
turbojenn
Humanist....I visit that cafe every time we go to Andersonville, just to support their very reasonable stance on kids - well behaved? Come on in. Throw a tantrum? Please step outside.

Its so funny, because the feminist bookstore down the street has the same policy, but don't get any negative press on that...I think Taste of Heaven gets all the bad press because its where the yuppie hipster parents want to hang out. The bookstore likely has a much more liberal/tolerant clientele, in general. Or maybe there's just a better understanding that kids need to be well-behaved in a bookstore...I dunno.
culturehandy
If I was a kid and I made a scene in a restaurent, my parents would have freaked out.

Speaking of scenes in a restaurent. There is a new Boston Pizza commercial, and it's three children and a mom and dad (of course, because every family has 2.5 kids), anyways, they are in a restaurent, the kids of screaming and throwing paper airplanes and being annoying little brats. The servers come up to the parents, who look exhausted, and ask them if they need anything. Dad looks like he's going to burst into tears, and says that everything is great! Come the fuck on!!!! Let's get into reality here!!!!

okay, that's all I have to say about that.

Anyways, I think it's fine that restaurents have a child policy. I'd throw my full support behind a restaurent that did that.
cecilia
Hi, I’ve never posted in this thread before, but I am another CFC’er. Anyway, I had to respond to this whole restaurant thing, because I think these parents are doing a real disservice to their kids. When my sister and I were little, my grandmother and my mom used to take us out to a nice restaurant every now and then, and it was so much fun. They had taught us how to act in public, and it was something we really looked forward to. We got to get dressed up and wear patent leather shoes and everything. I don’t think I would be able to remember those times so fondly if we had been allowed to behave like animals. My family instilled manners into my sister and I in a really young age. We were never taught that the world had to accommodate us! There’s a time and a place for everything, the playground, backyard, etc. was fair game for being loud and obnoxious, but not a public restaurant! Part of a parent’s job is to socialize their children! Call me old-fashioned, but I think children need (and thrive with) boundaries. When children know what’s expected of them they usually rise to the occasion.
culturehandy
Cecilia, I agree totally, the problem nowadays is that too many parents seem to think it's so cute when their kids act lik crazed little monsters. In my opinion, a lot of parents are too afraid to parent and seem to think that children will learn on their own.
missjoy
I would also say, and I'm guilty of this too, that it's because we all tend to eat at restaurants more than when we were young. I remember when I was young there were fast food restaurants (which we didn't go to that much) which were kid friendly and then "real" restaurants that you maybe went to once a month and you had to behave and it was a special event.

Now that a lot of people go out to eat three times a week or more they figure it is like eating at home and it is not a special event. I know I eat at restaurants more than I should. My parents use to bug me when I was little because I would always bring a book to the table at home and read while I ate. I realize now it was very rude, but I was allowed to do it during non-special at home meals (they probably didn't want to dissuade the the reading), but I would never do it out for dinner - because that was a special event. If we ate out often I probably would have tried to do it then too. Same with acting badly, if you think of eating at a restaurant as normal and not special, kids and their parents think of it as the same rules as eating at home.

Just my 2 cents.
missjoy
Here's something that burns me up. Don't ask me why, but I"m totally addicted to a website called truemomconfessions.com. It partly makes me *very glad* I don't have kids as it lets people confess anonymously about the not great part about having kids - but it also makes me a bit mad when people are completely out of it, like this person:

"So my boss is bitter and resentful because she never had children. Too bad...don't punish me because my sweet little baby comes before this job!"

Perhaps she didn't want kids and she's bitter because this woman doesn't do her job and can't be fired! Grrrr... this person gives moms a bad name!
i_am_jan
I too would stand behind a restaurant with any sort of child policy. My sister went to an upscale hair salon and they had a policy of NO CHILDREN. She was angry, ended up cancelling her appt. when found out about this, as she has a 5 year old boy. I however, can understand. I worked as a receptionist in an office before and it never fails ~~ whenever people bring their kids to an appt., the receptionist WILL END UP BABYSITTING YO KIDS while you handle business. Now this is f*!ed up. Okay? Like, do you think I get paid for this? You probably brought the kid cuz you didn't want to pay a sitter. Oh okay, but you can feel perfectly good about not paying me. Do you understand my job does not entail this? Okay, well I guess I get to fill your little brat's head with whatever I wish today since I'm your free caretaker! I guess you're perfectly okay with that too!?
culturehandy
I'd like to know how on earth I'd be jealous over your sleepless nights, money spent on diapers, and other child related items, your not being able to have sex or masturbate whenever you want (which I can do, as I don't have little crotch fruit coming and knocking on the door. Mommmmmmmmmmmmmmmy. Oooooh, look at how green with envy I am.

Riiiiight, I'm so jealous. Look at my disposable income and enriching life, I have company, I have a dog. And friends. My friends don't bail out on me because I have babies. As I've seen on more than a number of occassions. You can say that babies don't impact friendships with CBC'ers, they totally do.
thepointybird
Hitting the nail on the head there as always, Culture! I don't even have a lot of disposable income, but when I do, believe me, it will spent in Marni rather than Mothercare....
i_am_jan
I'm spending my disposable income on something that begins with an M this week too dry.gif I can do whatever I feel. I'm the whiny kid around here. See how that works!

Was over at my parents' house and they had the nieces and nephs over. Of course, the television is tuned into whatever the kids want to watch (cuz kids have such insightful ideas of what they should be watching on TELEVISION? So we watched the Disneyy channel all day. I wanted to puke at EVERY SHOW. My god, they have 6, 7, 10, 11 year old girls on there and every single one of them has CAKED ON makeup and PROFESSIONALLY DONE hair...like a style from an upscale hair salon...and you can tell lots of these little girls have bleached blonde or died hair, like in elementary or middle school. Like, NOT punky style, or something they've picked out for themselves, (like old-school green punky "leave-me-alone-I'm-different-and-proud" dye or something)...mbut something straight outta Cosmo Teen or whatever. HI-DE-OUS. And my little niece was GLUED to this stuff. All the kids were acting so grown up and witty and funny! All the girls looked like strippers and cheerleaders and "rockstars" (you know, Britney-style "rockers" who dress like actual strippers and lipsync (or sing crappy), dance sexy, and NEVER, EVER pick up an instrument to play. The boys do get shown playing guitars and drums. You just know that stuff lowers the self esteem of real kids like crazy. It pushes fashion (ugly, fluffy, trendy kind that you have to keep up with every 10 seconds), being in the in-crowd, BUYING whatever the other kids are wearing and buying and watching and listening to. Even though they may be acting like they're sending a positive 'message' through the script, we all know what's coming across. The camera-person would run the camera by every short skirt, isolate a shot of a girl's butt or low-cut blouse, I mean what is going on here, right? Right. Lots of little girls getting pies in the face too for some reason. Or buying their heads in a cake, stuff like that galore. They showed these cheerleaders dirty dancing on one show, like they actually RAN THEIR HAND ACROSS THEIR pussies as a move during the routine, I KID YOU NOT, it hurt my brain. My Dad couldn't take his eyes off it, I'm sure he could watch it all day too, I was embarrassed sitting there beside him. I feel it's highway robbery when a 10 year old girl is expected to LOOK LIKE A SEXPOT for everyone else's benefit but is allowed NO SEX. I'm all about pro-sex trust me. But NOT when you have to give it away for free but never get a piece of it. Uh huh. I'd love to know how the powers that be get away with this shite. END RANT~
SpRiNkLeS
QUOTE(turbojenn @ Jan 20 2008, 10:48 PM) *
The other day, I was thinking that the gov't needs to stop incentivizing spawning. Why should parents get tax breaks for each kid they have? We don't exactly have a birthrate problem in this country - really we should be giving a tax break to child-free families, for reducing carbon footprint, consumption, a potential for gov't spending, etc. I know its not a popular opinion, and many families count on that tax discount, but its an odd piece of tax code, in a giant mess of a tax code.

That, or we provide free birth-control at every pharmacy in the country...so at least there's a balance of available pregnancy prevention tools.

BEWARE! A mother is amongst you all. Mwuahahahahahaha! Heh, ok sorry. Actually curiosity is what brought me here and I must say I completely agree with most all of you. Kids with parents who do not discipline are so damn fu*king annoying. They make us mommy’s look bad. Yes I AM jealous of all you single childless peeps in here. My toddler is my pride and joy BUT I never ever have time to myself and yep, the friends do sure flee. Anyway I wanted to comment on what TurboJenn said because I totally agree! I think the government is totally crazy for giving money to people for popping out kids. I don’t wanna be racist here so I will refrain from stereotyping but where I come from there are certain people who pop out babies SOLELY for the free money from the government. And they never even parent the kids they do have! They let them run around into the streets not really giving a damn but they are sure fast to sue if their child gets hit by a car. And it was THEIR fault to begin with! Most are not even legal but the money they get from popping out kids gives them the nicest newest cars and SUV’s. I really do believe our government shouldn’t GIVE money to parents just for having a child. Trust me, the money aint shit. BUT I don’t know what parents get if they have more than one child. Either way it is a waste of taxpaying money. I can pay for my child just fine on my own and I think everyone else should too. Or if some women need help maybe we can help but there should be a limit.

This brings me to something else that is troubling…the mothers with starving kids in Africa. You know those infomercials you see at night on TV. Well they are asking for money to help the kids not starve BUT why are these mothers having kid after kid after kid when they can’t even provide for the ones they do have? And the aids epidemic too. Why are the mothers with aids in Africa popping out kids when they have aids and can’t feed them? Pass out the birth control to them too. I can understand when like Oops, Surpise! And you have one and you take responsibility and provide OR you need help if you can’t but come on, I really don’t feel sorry for the mothers with 5 and 6. I feel bad for those precious little children BUT I don’t understand why there is not a campaign to educate the mothers over there.

OK that is all. I must run away before I am banned and booed.

i_am_jan
Sprinkles: FYI: I'm glad you decided to refrain from making any racist comments. Not sure how it would have applied. This discussion has nothing at all to do with race, just generic parents and kids. I believe the govt. gives that same tax break to anyone of any race, creed, religion so it's a uniform thing across the board to my knowledge...anyone with kids. I am aware that different cultures have different familial structures, different ways of living their lives, handling family matters, different ideas of what a family should look like, etc., it's a free country where that's concerned, thank goodness for choice in the matter of reproduction. (Choice ~ but of course, with positive reinforcement going to the folks who DO choose to have kids and no positive reinforcement for those who don't. And of course a constant battle for the right to choose to NOT bear consumers.)
missladyj
thanks sprinkles for validating my belief that when someone says " I don't want to be racist but . ... " they usually go on to say the most racist shit ever.Kudos!

Part of why those mothers in Africa don't have access to birth control has to do with the type of aid the U.S. provides to those countries with the advice of Abstain, Be Faithful, Use Condoms. Which is not effective in reducing unwanted pregnancies or HIV transmission.
SpRiNkLeS
Ooops I apologize for how rude my comment was taken and now that I read it over again I understand why. I never meant to allude that the government gives different races more money or tax breaks at all becasue that is not what I believe. I believe it is totally equal. BUT I understand why it looks that way from what I wrote. I just meant that I agree with TurboJenn that by giving out tax breaks to ANYONE for having kids it definitely gives the incentive to have more. For ANYONE.

Ok well I decided to venture out from my normal thread but I think I'll run back and stay there cuz I definitely got booed. Hmmm, probably got thrown a couple tomatoes in the face too.
i_am_jan
Ahem, what a downer (in the bust lounge? that creeps me out like ignorance is that rampid, it hurts to know that that's here, what a shame. ANYHOW my sister called and wanted to know if I would be home tomorrow, she was going to be at a sporting event on my part of town tomorrow with her kid and several of his basketball playing friends but she could bring by a DVD of mine she's had for a while. Eek, I told her not to worry about it as I didn't feel like taking down all of my pulp movie posters and r-rated band flyers plastered everyplace for the kids' benefit, told her thanks but nah, I"ll stop by and get it next time I'm over by her place (tee hee, I probably sound like broom hilda, oh well, this is my coven : )
hellotampon
QUOTE(SpRiNkLeS @ Jan 25 2008, 06:53 AM) *
This brings me to something else that is troubling…the mothers with starving kids in Africa. You know those infomercials you see at night on TV. Well they are asking for money to help the kids not starve BUT why are these mothers having kid after kid after kid when they can’t even provide for the ones they do have? And the aids epidemic too. Why are the mothers with aids in Africa popping out kids when they have aids and can’t feed them? Pass out the birth control to them too. I can understand when like Oops, Surpise! And you have one and you take responsibility and provide OR you need help if you can’t but come on, I really don’t feel sorry for the mothers with 5 and 6. I feel bad for those precious little children BUT I don’t understand why there is not a campaign to educate the mothers over there.

You have to understand that you're talking about a completely different land and culture and it's MUCH more complicated than passing out birth control. Women in sub-Saharan countries don't have the same access to birth control, including condoms, that we do. Also, condoms don't hold up very well in the African heat. You need a refrigerator, which not everyone has. And a lot of times if a woman tries to use a condom she's suspected of adultery and has to face the consequences from her husband, who she depends on, but it's more socially acceptable for a man to sleep around, which contributes to the spread of HIV as well. There a lot of myths about HIV in the culture too. Plus the infant/child mortality rate is higher than over here, which is another reason for having so many kids- a lot of them don't make it past a certain age. And don't get me started on debt, war, etc.
neurotic.nelly
Oh Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, hellotampon! wink.gif
SpRiNkLeS
HelloTampon, I honestly did not know ANY of that, thankyou for educating me on this, my opinion has changed. Sorry again to all here for intruding on your thread, I know this is not the usual topic. I realize that if someone does not hold the same view of others people seem to hate, not realizing they just may not have even been taught or told of something. Does that make them evil? sometimes all it takes is for someone to enlighten them and I thought that was the point of forums. To meet people from all over whom all hold different views and opinions and through time have the chance to maybe change someone’s way of thinking. And also maybe learning something themselves in the process .

Thankyou again HelloTampon for enlightening me on this topic and sorry to anyone I may have upset.
rainarana
Props to my sister. But there's NO WAY IN HELL I want her life. OMG! I had been trying to get in touch with her for a couple weeks, but she's always so busy it's hard. She called me last night so we had a conversation. She's got three kids at home, one less than a year old, one is 6 and the other 7 with CP. She teaches full time and is currently getting some kinda certification. I forget what. Anyhow, insanely chaotic, but she loves it (most of the time).

I gotta say though, when I hear people whining about how hard they have it I bring her up. Especially because she's such a good mom, her kids are (mostly) well behaved and although I tend to be a bit stricter (minor stuff) as far as what I expect from kids, she doesn't let hers walk all over her, which really weirds me out when other parents do.

Hubby (speaking of kids) was gone all weekend so I went shopping, ate whatever I wanted and watched movies and played video games all weekend. Sweet. Good lawd I'm glad I don't have children.
mornington
*sticks head in*

ok, first off... rantyrantrant: why oh why must women insist on travelling at rush hour with those massive suv prams. Seriously. The buses here all have a space for prams, although it is primarily for wheelchairs (the big type) but these people never, ever park the damn thing properly, so it sticks out into the (already packed) aisle. But it's rush hour. The bus is already full. could they not wait another half hour until we're all at work?

also, sprinkles, while you're willing to be educated - only around 25-30% of women in sub-saharan africa know their AIDs status, because of those who do the majority have experienced some sort of negative response (either just being socially stigmatized, divorced or violence). In western countries, it's socially acceptable to have just one or two kids - while in s-sa cultural expectations are that a woman will have lots of kids - preferably boys. Eight or ten kids is expected. There are attempts to educate women in family planning to limit family size, but these kinds of changes take generations to happen - and most of the pressure on women to have lots of kids comes from thier mother-in-law and husband, as intergenerational patriarchal links are emphasised (so it's more important to have lots of kids than be faithful to one wife). The migrational nature of work in s-sa has also altered family structure; polygyny is socially more common and acceptable, but colonialism/globalisation has imposed "western" moralities on the existing social structure, changing the family structure from a polygynous group with restricted, known sexual network (one man with three wives) to a open unknown polygynous network (one man with one wife and multiple, simulaneous and changing sexual partners) while the man migrates to find paid work in cities.
mouse
*peeks in*

thought you ladies might appreciate this:

(jury's still out on whether i'll ever have babies, btw, but i'm still sympathetic to the cause. also, mornington's hair looks FREEEEKIN AWESOME)
obelix2
Bwah! I must print this out and put it on my desk at work!
i_am_jan
mouse: nicely done! biggrin.gif
mornington
omg, mouse, that's perfect!

(and why thank you wink.gif )
deschatsrouge
Mouse, I loved that pic so much I put it on my myspace page.
tankgirl
I finally realized why I hate kids so much. Now this is against the grain of what you all are saying here, but I think it's time for a change in myself and I just thought I'd share.

My whole life I grew up knowing my dad hated kids. To the point that he would whine and complain when we would go over another families house when there was going to be kids there as well, and this I can remember from when I was a kid myself. To be honest, I think that put something in me that is very hard for me to recover from. Telling a kid YOUR kid that you hate kids, puts in them something that they can never be what you want them to be, because they know they are a kid and that isn't their fault and they know they are defenseless against it, at least that is what I experienced. Now, I have no idea why my dad actually HAD kids. I know I wasn't an accident, I actually he gave into the woman he loved to have a family, or maybe he hadn't realized he hated kids until it was too late. I'll never know.

Now this brings me to me, right now. I dislike children. I haven't always been like this, it's actually pretty recent. I like individual kids, certain family members, friends, children etc, but in general I have a hard time being around them. I realized that it isn't the kids I hate. Its the fact that people have them so carelessly, and don't raise them to be the future of this country. They raise them the quickest and easiest way because people are just getting so lazy. I'm speaking in general terms here. By no means am I saying that this is anyone in particular. But it bothers me a lot and I find myself sort of taking it out on all kids, mostly be avoiding them at all costs in my everyday life and that isn't fair.

Actually, I do want to have kids, or probably just the singular, and before I make that decision I need to come to terms with myself and my hatred. It actually becomes MORE intense when I think about having a child someday and having to explain to them WHY the world is so fucked up. Raising a kid to be a strong confident, caring person who cares for the environment around them and the people around them is nearly impossible in America. It really is, and that makes me angry.

/endrant
obelix2
Thanks, Tankgirl. I really respect what you're doing. I think that this country would be headed in a better direction if more people examined their feelings about children before they had them. It sounds like you'll be going about parenting with your eyes open, and not just popping them out because you kind of like the idea of having a baby around.
deschatsrouge
Word, Tank
konphusion26
Hmmm.. dont remember if i've ever posted in this thread. Tankgirl, I respect your honesty!! I like kids (the well behaved ones that is) to a certain extent. I've been married for 8 months and every single week, someone asks me when am I going to have a baby. WTF?? Obviously not now! That drives me nuts. I'm a selfish person sometimes. I enjoy being able to come and go as I please and not be responsible for another human being that depends on me for everything. Having children scares me honestly. Once they're here, there's no turning back. And no matter how well you think you raise them, they could turn out to be lil demons lol I'll pass!
culturehandy
I had a conversation with a very good friend of mine about children on Saturday evening, and we discussed the same thing. I am highly highly selfish, for example in the past month I spent $200.00 on clarins face cream. I do this kind of thing on a regualr basis. I spend my money on me, and a child would get in the way of my plans.

Not only that, but screaming, crying and even playing children give me anxiety. Cannot.deal.
faerietails2
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Feb 5 2008, 03:16 PM) *
I spend my money on me, and a child would get in the way of my plans.

Word, ch. I think of all my student debt and stuff, and there's no way I'm spending what little disposable income I have on diapers and Barbie dolls. I need movies, concerts, cute shoes, and good haircuts in my future, man. And I do not feel guilty or selfish saying it, either. (Plus, kids creep me out, too.)

Tank, I too often wonder why my dad had kids. I know my mom needed children in her life, and I think my dad needed the idea of children in his life. But when faced with reality of less one-on-one outings with my mom and more chores, and his subsequent bitterness over it, I don't know why the hell he even bothered. His sister is the same way; she was awful to my cousin. His brother was smart enough to forego kids, which is fabulous, because I'd feel sooooo sorry for those kids if he'd had any. My mom's side of the family, however, is a freaking baby factory, and they all love it. blink.gif
hellotampon
I'm uncomfortable with the implication from people that being childfree is a selfish decision. I don't know why it bothers me so much. Especially because it's a selfish decision that doesn't negatively impact anyone else, except for maybe your parents, if they want grandchildren, and there are also selfish reasons why people do have kids. There are a lot of reasons why I don't want kids, and some of them are selfish, yeah. But the fact that I just don't want them should be enough! Plus I'm probably going to be the one taking care of my mother when she gets old, and I can't imagine affording or managing to take care of kids at the same time. Which is probably why so many old people end up cast off into nursing homes to die.
culturehandy
Hellotampon, I'm an only child from a divorced family, so I have my mom, dad and step mother. There is going to be a huge burden for me. And if my mother turns out to be like her mother, I'm in a lot of trouble.

My parents are jokingly asking me if I'm going to have grandchildren, because they want to buy them stuff and what not. Uhhh, if I ever decided to have children (because I've lost my mind) I'm not going to do it because you want me to!
i_am_jan
tankgirl: I understand what you mean about it being nearly impossible to raise kids the way you'd like to in this world. I cannot imagine trying to teach my kids the decency and values I feel they should have, while the media and all the disney channel constantly undermine my teachings? No wonder moms & dads are crazy. Also, I can identify with having a parent who constantly voiced her hatred of having kids. And of kids. I am only different from most people in this thread in that this woman has never asked me if or why I was going to have kids. ? i guess she knows? I really have no idea. No need to dwell on it or even bring it up though. I do know that. Cuz I ain't having none. Peace out Gs ohmy.gif
hellotampon
I bought this picture at the thrift store today. It's a painting of a cute baby and underneath, it says, "a baby is God's way of saying the world should go on." My boyfriend haaaaaaaaaates it. I think it's funny. It will look cool over my blue colonial couch next to my madonna and child picture. By the time that room is done I'm going to look like either a huge weirdo or an old lady.
sybarite
My mother has asked if I'm likely to have kids. The last time she did this, she mentioned 'other people in the office who have children/grandchildren', which strikes me as the most spurious reason for me to have kids ever.

I said that I didn't recognise pressure from anyone else about whether I had kids as valid. My mister is the only other person who gets any say, as we would be the people raising said kids. No-one else is allowed to weigh in as they wouldn't be raising them.

Also, my step-daughter is currently annoying the hell out of me and I have no desire to add to our hassled domestic life.
pollystyrene
*shudder* I love and share your sense of ironic humor, hellot, but that picture would creep me out way too much to have it in my house.

I've probably told this story here before, and hopefully prophecy_grrl won't mind me telling it- at her wedding, LeBoy's mom wrote in their guest book, "Make your parents happy- have lots of babies!" I'm going to not have a guest book at my wedding specifically so she can't write messages like that; though by now, I think she's gotten a hint she won't be getting any non-quadruped, furless grandchildren from us.

Yeah, raising kids for 18 years so your parents will be happy, that's not selfish.
thenewrussia
I am not having children either! All they do is suck the energy out of you and make you tired. I love kids(brother whos 7), but only for a couple of hours.
culturehandy
non-quadruped, furless grandchildren?!?!?!?!

Polly, that.fucking.rocks.

ginger_kitty
I told some guy at work I never wanted to have children, and he said he'd never met a woman that didn't want children. I told him if he didn't have so many kids he might be able to get out more and meet more ladies like myself. tongue.gif

I was teasing my husband the other day, telling him I have decided I want a baby, and he almost fell out of his chair before he realized I was only joking.

pollystyrene
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Feb 9 2008, 03:17 PM) *
non-quadruped, furless grandchildren?!?!?!?!

Polly, that.fucking.rocks.

Thanks. Can I take a second to bitch about something this reminded me of?

I think someone's brought this up here before, or maybe I read it somewhere else- I'm so tired of these holiday cards people send out that have just pictures of their kids on them. It's like, "you're a family, right? Where are the parents? I want to see a nice picture of all of you. Pretending to be happy." It's just more kid-centric crap. I'm seriously considering my 2008 holiday cards to be some pictures of the aforementioned quadruped, furry children I have. And I'm sure that will get some weird looks from the recipients.

ETA: Excellent retort, ginger! tongue.gif
culturehandy
I think I'd like to send out pornographic pictures for holiday cards, I don't really care about your family, I don't think you'd care to see my partners dick in my ass.

Sorry, that was a total hijack. heh.

The whole birthing thing really creeps my out, too. I don't think that birth is a miracle, as I've stated before, one thing if yu have fertility problems and you have a kid (but not 8, if you go the route of IVF and are stressed because all 8 embryos developed, then you got what you asked for. Humans are NOT meant to have 8 babies at a time), I think that when babies are born they look like ugly ooze covered aliens.
faerietails2
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Feb 10 2008, 05:03 AM) *
I think that when babies are born they look like ugly ooze covered aliens.

HAAAAAAAAAAA...me too! And then the moms kiss them while they're looking like that?! That's always grossed me out hardcore.
humanist77
polly, you should do that! Put some little Santa hats on them with some lights and tinsel, you got a holiday card! I really think it's a cute and funny way of making a point. I hope no one would actually be offended by that.
culturehandy
Polly, my friend get's holiday pictures taken with her fur babies. She also puts up little trees for them, and has little photo's around their cat beds. It's adorable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.