Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUSTing Trolls, Part Deux
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77
pollystyrene
Yep, rose, that's like that Gene & Jude's place I mentioned- their only toppings are mustard, onions and peppers (maybe pickles or relish?) They don't even keep ketchup around for the fries (and they have really good fries that come in a paper bag with the grease soaked through.) I'm sure you'd get quite a tongue-lashing if you asked for ketchup there. My dad sneaks some in for his fries.

Yay for your friend Scott! It's a great term for my favorite state of nearly-undressed.

I did end up going to Superdawg, in the pouring rain, for a pineapple shake for me and a chocolate malt for le boy. It was so worth it, even though I feel all bloaty now. I keep having these crazy food cravings- weird stuff, weird combinations of stuff. Le boy (oo, I like that better than "my bf"!) keeps asking, "you're sure you're okay? Nothing you want to tell me?" Yeah. Just fine.
sixelacat
Ack, I just heard on the radio that "having the occasional curry can improve mental agility and possibly reduce onset/severity of Alzheimer's"! Full disclosure: it was the news break on Club Asia, a London radio station for the Asian youth community (hey, like they play bhangra on the radio in Kansas!). Still, yet another good excuse for curry-it makes you smarter!

yuefie, my aunt's in Fallbrook. I haven't been out to visit in a while, so she's definitely due! Next time I make it out there, we are so hangin'! Hmmm, may request cuban mojito for the next TJ's installment......

and I am loving the hot dog vendors that refuse ketchup in their establishments! The only thing ketchup should be used for is fake blood in B movies!!! You're not actually supposed to eat it!

msp
QUOTE(doodlebug @ Aug 2 2006, 11:35 PM) *

What is wrong with me that I can't cook brown rice to save my life?

Have you ever tried baking it? I cooked brown rice exclusively in the oven for years. It's almost completely foolproof, and it's nice because you can just throw it in the oven and forget it.
pepper
psst doodle... it always seems to turn out in my rice cooker. without that thing i can't even cook White rice without messing it up.
rice cooker, rice cooker, la la la!

i'm going to have to try baking it though, thanks msp!
sixelacat
I use a rice steamer, too! In fact, I haven't made rice in anything else in years....
yuefie
Sixela, up until a few months ago I lived a whole lot closer to Fallbrook than I do now. I would say I am about an hour from there now. But most of my close friends still live up that way in San Marcos, and I love the North County of San Diego best. If you are due for a visit then by all means, come on out! I'd love to have the chance to hang out with a fellow BUSTie in real life, that would be sweeeeet biggrin.gif

Isn't it nice that we can use this thread for idle banter as opposed to busting trolls? Some may think this thread has gone OT or is "passive aggressive" (which I will not argue it started out as) but I don't think it is anymore. I enjoy the tone of this thread and think it is a welcomed addition in light of the current state of many parts of the lounge. Oh well, you can't please all the people all the time, right? wink.gif

saktii
since this thread has moved over onto the subject of yummy foods, i have to share with everyone a new discovery i made the other day! i found an indian ice cream shop that serves ROSE flavored ice cream! It was literally the tastiest thing i have ever put in my mouth.
they also have jasmine green tea flavor, cardamon, floofie (i have no idea what this is), saffron, and something with marshmallows called "star war".
girlygirlgag
Does seaweed salad go bad? I bought some from the sushi guy at my market last Thursday and never ate it and was thinking about throwing it in a stirfry, but I love my honey and I don't want to kill him with bad seaweed.
auralpoison
Saktii, I've made rose ice cream. It is teh nummy.

I am a didecated customer to our local Lollicup because they make avocado shakes that are non dairy & sugar free. And they are GOOOOOD!
turbojenn
ap - I am so jealous of your dairy free, sugar free avocado shakes - how are these wonders made??

Back in the dairy day, on our honeymoon we happened upon an Indian ice cream shop in San Francisco, and turboman had rose ice cream, and I had cardamom....both were incredible!
pepper
yuefie, say what? we're passive aggressive all of a sudden? what the heck are you talking about, who said that? n/m, i don't even want to know.

like i said, coming in here is like having a coffee break with a whole bunch of great girlfriends at once. i like it. it's terrif!
yuefie
pepper, dear, you are so right... you don't wanna know who said what. It was just mentioned a couple of times by different people that the thread had been "derailed" and passive agressive was tossed around. Okay, I will agree that when the pie talk first began it was to just frustrate certain unsavoury characters, but not any longer. It has evolved in to a very cool spot for us to discuss whatever, and food happens to be a favorite topic of most of us here tongue.gif But really, who gives a rat's ass anyway? I mean, with the new fangled ignore function, there's not really the same need for a troll busting thread that we had before. And I agree, I loooove the new tone of this thread. It is like having coffee with some girlfriends and I, for one, think its fab!

doodlebug
Weird....I am having weird cravings! I blame this thread, even though my latest craving is for Kraft Dinner, which no one has talked about yet. (It's only good if you add extra cheddar, though.) It's been years since I could eat KD...it always reminded me of my poverty days!
pepper
oh, i regularly eat annie's with the kidlets doodle. no 'extra' anything either. well, 'cept i use yogurt instead of milk and always throw in broc or c-flower. guess it just isn't the same eh?
doodlebug
Hee hee! KD was the very first thing my mama taught me how to cook when *I* was a kidlet, pepper! smile.gif (The second thing she taught me was KD with boiled hot dogs cut up in it.)
yuefie
Ha doodle, that is the first thing I learned how to cook too! Second was scrambled eggs, also with cut up hot dogs. We used to pour ketchup all over it. Feh. That would be the death of me these days. That is if I was even able to get it down my throat and keep it there blink.gif

pepper
no one ever taught me how to cook anything. how i manage to pull off any kind of culinary delights is beyond me. just one of my natural talents i guess. ha ha.

no hotdogs in my hippie house. mom used to mash up tofu and sprinkle it with tumeric then tell us it was scrambled eggs. ugh. i Never fell for it either.
poor little, i make him eat all kinds of healthy stuff but he actually likes it. doesn't know any better i suppose.
auralpoison
You bitches. You just had to keep talking up the Indian food, didn't you? You went on & on until I had to have some. I gorged on lamb & then had an avocado shake. Brilliant. You bitches. The lot of you. Bitches. Bitches!

Turbo, I dunno how they do it, but it looks complicated. I swear the chick used three different blenders. Frankly, I'm more concerned with how they seal the plastic lid to the cup. To get at the shake you have to stab it with a giant straw.
yuefie
Oooh, I love when my drink is all sealed up and I get to stab it! I used to go this Boba Tea place that did that to get myself a thai iced tea w/ soymilk, sans boba. Mmm, just the thought of drinking one of those right now makes me feel like I will be up all night.

Because of my stupid gall bladder freaking out over a fecking bowl of oatmeal, I had a day of liquids. I am so beyond hungry, but still too afraid of that wretched pain returning to actually eat anything.

Damn this thread. Damn you all. What AP said. Bitches!

doodlebug
I still like catsup on my scrambled eggs sometimes. What can I say? Not on my KD, though. Lots of people do....my stepmom, for one. But she likes liver and onions, too. And beets.

Speaking of nauseating foodstuffs, my cat George is eating a beetle, right next to my desk. (Anyone ever had chocolate-covered grasshoppers or ants?)

And totally off the subject....I've just developed a serious craving for my homemade meatloaf. With a cheese-covered baked potato. And green peas. I think I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow.

I can eat frozen green peas while they're still frozen. Yummy.
sixelacat
QUOTE(doodlebug @ Aug 4 2006, 01:59 AM) *

And totally off the subject....I've just developed a serious craving for my homemade meatloaf. With a cheese-covered baked potato. And green peas.

Okay, doodle, if we're going to go down that road, how about roasted rosemary-thyme chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, and green beans. Take that, cholesterol!

I used to make earthworm cookies in elementary school. I had a recipe out of some book that was supposed to teach kids about alternative food sources and stuff. Basically, they were just oatmeal cookies with chopped earthworms added. Cleaning and chopping the earthworms was fun! And good protein....

And if wine is Satan's urine, ketchup is Satan's menses. You bitches are sick. tongue.gif
bunnyb
QUOTE(sixelacat @ Aug 4 2006, 08:38 AM) *

And if wine is Satan's urine, ketchup is Satan's menses. You bitches are sick. tongue.gif

Heehee!

This thread has inspired me to cook this weekend (we have a small kitchen and I won't cook unless I have house to myself, which I do for next coupla weeks); I think I may make marinated tuna steaks then baby figs and marscapone for dessert.
turbojenn
oh yeah, six...I'll raise your rosemary roasted chicken, and chuck a whole heap o' root veg underneath it while it roasts, caramelizing the veggies in chicken fat....now *that* is serious goodness. *feels cholesterol rising just thinking about it.*

I, too, like frozen peas...yummm.

Its not even 8am, and I already want to head out for lunch....hey, maybe I'll get Indian food! tongue.gif
sybarite
The boy had chapulines, or grasshoppers in chili and spices, as a starter when we were in Mexico. They were the ew-ness. He claims to have enjoyed them but he gets macho about food so I don't know whether to believe him.

We could come up with suggestions for satan's vomit but I don't want to put anyone off their breakfast or lunch... blink.gif
pollystyrene
I discovered that chopped up roasted red pepper (like the kind that comes in a jar) is really good in mac & cheese.

Le boy is banned from making mac & cheese around me. I don't know why- it just drives me nuts- he times the pasta (it's pasta, you don't time it- just taste it!) and then he follows the directions to a T, measuring everything out, making the cheese part of it in the pot before he puts the pasta back in after draining it. I don't like it made with butter- it comes out too oily, but he refuses to not follow the directions. I like it creamy, so I put in sour cream, a splash of milk and an extra slice of cheese (then whatever tasty extras I'm adding- red peppers, broccoli, hot dogs.)

I'm such a control freak in the kitchen!! mad.gif
turbojenn
hee...polly, I am the same way in the kitchen, quite possibly worse. While I would like turboman to do the cooking occasionally, the few times he's done it, it makes me craaaazzzy! He goes about it like an engineer, no grasp for the feel of the thing, just plodding along measuring and following directions, and he's got no sense of timing. So, we make a deal - I cook, he cleans, and when we go out to dinner, he usually pays, since I buy all the groceries. He also gets home from work 2-3 hours later than I do, so if we want to eat before bedtime, it just works better if I take charge.

The other control freakiness is that I'm not sure I could deal with someone else deciding what we have for dinner. Its fine if *I* decide I don't want to cook, and eat granola with fruit for dinner, but I wouldn't want turboman to choose that for me. tongue.gif
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(doodlebug @ Aug 4 2006, 06:59 AM) *

I still like catsup on my scrambled eggs sometimes. What can I say? Not on my KD, though. Lots of people do....my stepmom, for one. But she likes liver and onions, too. And beets.

Speaking of nauseating foodstuffs, my cat George is eating a beetle, right next to my desk. (Anyone ever had chocolate-covered grasshoppers or ants?)

And totally off the subject....I've just developed a serious craving for my homemade meatloaf. With a cheese-covered baked potato. And green peas. I think I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow.

I can eat frozen green peas while they're still frozen. Yummy.

During the Cicada invasion of 2004, I ate a variety of different cicadas, along with all my pets, who were goring themselves! They taste kind of like cashews.

BOY! The summer was a mess of dead Cicadas!
roseviolet
Yesterday for the first time ever, I finally broke down & bought some Nutella.

Damn you people. Damn you aaaaaaall!!!!!! tongue.gif

All this talk of Kraft Dinner has me humming Bare Naked Ladies.

I don't know if I could eat a whole insect. I realize how silly that is since I love to eat shrimp. Maybe it's the crunchy exoskeleton that turns me off.

I made some veggie pot pie for dinner. It's just chicken pot pie without the chicken chunks. Lots of veggies in a creamy sauce with a biscuit topping. Yummers. Still isn't especially healthy, but soooooo gooooooood. And it feeds us for days, so there's no need to heat up the house every night by cranking up the stove.

I started out as being very control-freakish with my cooking, but I've started to loosen up. I don't make a lot of variations when I'm baking, of course, but while working on the stove I've been known to add more garlic than the recipe recommends. I loooooves me some garlic!
mandolyn
i just had to read "I ate a variety of different cicadas" four times. i wanna laugh. i wanna puke. unsure.gif

and yo on the BITCHES. thanks to y'all, nutella = trigger food from hell and is currently banned from casa mando.

boba tea? is that like bubble tea?

pepper
oh yes. ketchup is the menses of satan but EARTHWORM cookies, now those are all right.

GAH!!! gag me with a spoon, i'm gonna like be sick all over yo.
auralpoison
Yeah, Mando. Boba=bubble.
yuefie
Yup Mandi, like AP said, exactly the same as bubble tea, all being tea with those tapioca "pearls" at the bottom. I do not care for those little chewy balls of nastiness, but love the tea.

Ugh, earthworm cookies and cicadas? Bleh.

I'm on my second day of liquids only due to gall bladder related tummy issues and I am so beyond hungry. At lunch time I had a Jamba Juice with fiber boost which was good and helped, but now something substantial is sounding good. And by substantial I mean some chicken noodle soup, as opposed to the chicken broth I've been sipping on. Honestly though, there's nothing worth feeling that pain again. Fear is a great motivator. I could see if I had eaten a big greasy cheese burger & fries and washed it all down with a shake but I would NEVER dare do something like that! But when you are fearing an effing bowl of oatmeal? C'mon, somethings gotta give! Damn gall bladder makes no sense. I just gotta get through August and September and then I will have medical coverage. All I can say is they better get this damn thing out of me immediately.

Sorry for my rant here, please continue on the all the foodie goodness talk smile.gif

doodlebug
I don't know what's wrong with me, but I bought ANOTHER jar of Nutella today.

I blame every single one of you.

Also acquired 2 boxes of Krap Dinner. No hot dogs. Garlic sausage, yes. Chop it up and stir fry it....heart attack city, but soooooo good. Also yummy with rice.

Also, I bought ground beef, potatoes, and frozen peas. I'm gonna have my dream meatloaf meal this weekend, I swear.

Felt kind of weird, though, throwing all this bad cholesterol food into my cart alongside the Crystal Light and Diet Pepsi....
pepper
that diet stuff actually makes you gain weight. did you know that? no, really, it's true. it's all in that book "your body's many cries for water". the fake sugar confuses your insides and makes them crave all kinds of crap to make up for the lack of calories and sugar energy that's supposed to go along with that sweet taste.

ok, i'm having my version of a junkie snack. i made a bowl of guac and am eating it with those organic red corn chips. it is ssooo yummeroo. that's about as unhealthy as i get at home. i try, i really do. the ice cream eventually got eaten by my sister.
doodlebug
Actually, I'm not drinking it to lose weight. I don't diet and don't believe in them. I'm drinking it because I've drunk it all my life (yep, back to the Tab/saccharine days). I absolutely can't stand the taste of the stuff with real sugar - and I don't generally crave sugar and junk, either. (Plus I drink about 3 litres of water a day.) So. I buy Diet Pepsi and Crystal Light iced tea to quench my caffeine cravings when I don't feel like coffee. I've quit smoking, quit sugars, quit most processed foods and fast foods, and I hardly ever drink alcohol. I get to keep my damned caffeine, and every health expert in the universe can suck my left one. dry.gif
sixelacat
Bwaahaaha! *sits back and watches her Nutella stock skyrocket*

Don't worry, Pepper, I don't drink diet soda! wink.gif It interferes with my coffee, cigs, and alcohol. biggrin.gif

RE:earthworm cookies-I used to take them to school for class parties. They always got gobbled up, even when I said they had earthworms in them. Either they thought I was joking (mostly the girls/teacher) or they thought it was cool (mostly the boys). Heehee. They really were quite tasty (and for you healthy/organic eaters, it's a great organic source of protein!).
pixiedust
Ok ladies, so we are walking down the isle at Wal Mart today, and all of a sudden I spy......NUTELLA....not just a few jars, but a whole display! I took it as a sign and gave in to the obcession that is, Nutella! I feel like I have joined a club! Where's my jacket?
girlygirlgag
I had a pretty nasty diet coke addiction. I was up to 6- 10 A DAY. It really messed up my kidneys, pancreas and digestion system blink.gif Apparently it has a lot of the same ingredients that embalming fluid. ohmy.gif
pollystyrene
Hey turbo- I was right by your house tonight (no, I'm not stalking you!) Some friends are trying to get an apartment in the area and they took us past one that they had looked at earlier today and it's right across the street from you- I think it was 1332, called the Farmont or the Faircroft, something like that. They were kinda creeped out by the place- it used to be a hotel in the '30's and has this well-preseved lobby, but the apartments are kinda scuzzy. They said the lobby reminded them of Angel or The Shining. And they wanted $1000 a month, so it's out of the running.
girlygirlgag
I made a really good snack last night, I spread cream cheese on some salami and rolled it up with pickled chilli peppers, yummy! Though, I just made and boy, chilli peppers really do some damage!
pixiedust
My snack last night was braunsweiger(sp?) and munster cheese. And a spoonful of Nutella!
doodlebug
Early morning drive-by bathroom run/pantry raid (meatloaf sandwich!)...

Nutella Survey:

tea spoon or soup spoon?

ETA: WTF? I saw Kraft "peanut butter with chocolate" next to the Nutella and the other nut butters at the grocery store this weekend. Has anyone taste-tasted this yet?

ETA again...new Nutella Survey:

When you are buying Nutella, do you ever get cashiers who go, "Mmm, Nutella..." as they are ringing it in?
roseviolet
I use a normal teaspoon for my Nutella. Especially after reading the label. It's so rich that I don't need much! And seeing as this was my first Nutella purchase ever, I don't have much to go on, but I noticed no reaction from my cashier. Perhaps that's because its glories are still much of a secret in this region. But when my husband heard of my purchase, he gave me this slightly evil grin ... almost as if to say, "And so the addiction begins!"

Doodle, I think you need to buy that stuff & tell us what you think. A little field reporting in the interest of science & the well-being of your fellow Busties. That sort of thing wink.gif

Pixie, what should be on the jacket? I'm picturing something along the lines of the Pink Ladies jackets from "Grease", but I wouldn't know what to call our little gang. Suggestions anyone?
missladyj
all this talk of nutella reminds me, I use it on hubby for forplay. and I lick it off him. it tastes the best then. no spoon I put it on him with my fingers. very very tastey!
bunnyb
ohmy.gif missladyj! Well, the boy dislikes nutella but as he won't be doing the licking...

anyway, I came in to say that I, too, have fallen off the nutella wagon. No small jars so just had to buy the uber sized one wink.gif. Soup spoon? Um, ladel, finger, whatever's handy...

rosev, a chocolate brown silk jacket with nutella nutters in gold sparkly writing?
pixiedust
Rose, how do you get enough to taste on a farking teaspoon! It was a stinking tablespoon ok!

Doodle, in the name of research, the calories don't count. As for the survey, I think Wal Mart is new to selling it in my area, so no response from the cashier at all.

Bunny, I'll take one of those jackets in a size large...although eating Nutella...It might not be too long before I need extra large!

Nutella and foreplay, huh? I'll have to think about that one. Normally I don't go for sticky substances on my body, but exceptions could be made.

I have a whole freezer full of Girl Scout cookies..I'm thinking of smearing some of the shortbread trefoils with Nutella.
pollystyrene
Do you melt it down a little, so it can be drizzled? Hmmmm.....
pixiedust
Ooh...that sounds good! I was also thinking about the no bake cookie receipie everyone likes as a kid that has the oats and peanut butter and choclate. I'm wondering if substituting Nutella would be choclate overload. (Is there such a thing?)Mummmm...I also used to have a recipie for peanut butter Bon Bons..... I may never cook with peanut better again!
pollystyrene
Mmm, like Puppy Chow (they call them Muddy Buddies)? That would be good- I think oats would be better. No way Chex could hold up to the intensity of Nutella.
yuefie
GGG, I was at a party once where one of the hors devours served were peices of dry salame, smeared with a dollop of whipped cream cheese, topped with a pepperoncini pepper, rolled and secured with a toothpick. They were the first thing to disappear, and it was within the first half hour of the party. The hostess ended up back in the kitcken making more, and even sent her hubby out to the store for more fixin's. They were that popular, ha. Who woulda guesses it would be such a winning combo? And the funny part is the other things she had out were far more gourmet and adventurous, but were hardly touched when compared with those salame roll ups. Not that the other stuff wasn't yummy though.

Doodle, as a matter of fact the one and only time I purchased Nutella, the cashier nearly swooned. I will keep an eye out on my next purchase, which will be as soon as I am feeling brave enough unsure.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.