Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUSTing Trolls, Part Deux
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77
pixiedust
llamas, nectarines are a peach and plum combination.
pollystyrene
Hmm, are nectarines a mix of two different fruits (and if so, peaches and ???) or just have the fuzz bred out of them?

Mmm, just freshly grated parmesan or romano on broccoli for me. Le Boy eats cheese out of a can. I haven't allowed it in the house. Ick.

Sorry greanadine- if the tomato's good enough, I will eat it like an apple- yum!

ETA: Ah, nectarines make sense now- I knew the texture was a little different than a peach. When were they created?
yuefie
Ha, I LOVE tomatoes, in any form. I get fabulous heirloom tomatoes and slice them up with a little salt & pepper for breakfast. The best is to add some fresh mozzarela & basil leaves, drizzle a little olive oil & maybe some good balsamic vinegar. I always have a pint of grape tomatoes in hand for quick snacks. I love all squash (summer or winter), broccoli, cauliflower, peas, green beans, carrots, artichokes, greens, root veggies, but asparagus is my absolute fave. I love to drizzle it with olive oil, a little lemon juice, salt & pepper and throw it on the grill. I do however loathe iceberg lettuce. It tastes like dirt to me!

I agree grenadine about the way most children eat being a shame. I am so proud that my sister and I have made my niece an 11 year old food snob. She stopped ordering from the kids menu many moons ago.

bunnyb
yuefie, I'm going to prepare my asparagus like that! mmmm. Also tomatoes; I love tomatoes and salt on french bread with cream cheese.

I am a cheese fiend and this cheese out of can that you speak of sounds like a sacrilege.
pixiedust
mmm..grilled asparagus! My ex MIL used to grill asparagus together with onions, mushrooms and I think garlic...in olive oil. It was heavenly!
llamas
Thanks pixie, no wonder I like them so!

Mmmm, tomatoes, fresh mozzarela, olive oil... *dies*

According to my parents I refused to order off the kids menu as soon as I was old enough to read the real menu, insufferable little snob that I was. tongue.gif
pixiedust
It's worse than sacrelidge Bunny! It is pressurized so it comes out like whipped cream from a can. Horrible stuff! College boys live on it!
grenadine
for the first few months i cooked my son just plain foods (one food at a time) but now that he's 15 months i cook him curry, coucous with moroccan veggie sauce, pasta bolognese (just with less salt than i would for adults). hopefully he won't go through a pizza pockets, or whatever those things are called, phase.

when i was a child i was ostracised at school for bringing artichokes and brie in my lunch. i didn't mind, as they looked so much better to me than those processed meat things people were eating. and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - i know they're sacred nostalgia for lots of people, but ugh.

pixie, i thought they just wanted it for the nitrous... biggrin.gif
yuefie
canned cheese is sacrilege!

I've never been much for brussel sprouts, though I cabbage which is similar. I finally found a way to prepare them well though. You toss 'em again with olive oil, S & P, and then roast them on a pretty high temp until they are all carmelized and it seems to get rid of that bitter after taste I don't like. I do think that a lot of foods are just commonly prepared in a way that does not bode well. As a kidc I hated cooked carrots because of how mushy they always seemed to be, until I had them prepared well as an adult.

pollystyrene
I have some friends with a 4-year old daughter and two almost-1 year old twins. With the first one, they made the mistake of not really pushing veggies when she was a baby and strategically feeding her (making her eat veggies before the baby yogurt/pudding, whatever) and now she has about 6 different foods she'll eat (grilled cheese, pizza, fries, french toast, chicken nuggets...um, not sure what else)...it causes huge problems and they're determined to not make the same mistake with the twins. They make sure they have veggies, all sort of veggies, before the "dessert" serving and now that they've started on solids, they give them cut-up pieces of whatever they're eating because it's such a hassle to feed the first one. When we all go out together, we have to stop at a fast food place for the 4-year-old before we go to our restaurant.

They're really kicking themselves for it now!

I remember eating just about anything as a child, except the aforementioned vegetables, as long as it wasn't too spicy. I had a traumatic event- my parents had a fast food party when I was about 2, where they invited all their friends over and everyone had to bring a few portions of a fast food food to share (and in Chicago, fast food goes waaay beyond McD's and Burger King!)....someone brought Popeye's spicy fried chicken. So here I was, wandering around the dining room table, randomly grabbing food, too short to see what I was grabbing. My mom was in the living room and just heard me wailing, like I cracked my head open....nope, just took a big bite of a spicy drumstick. It's only in the last few years that I can tolerate (and seek out) hot food. Still own't eat Popeye's though- feh!
msp
Oh, now, I can't lie - I do enjoy the occasional peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Mind you, mine would be natural peanut butter and some kind of fruit butter on multi-grain bread, but still. We always have peanut butter in the house - MrP goes through it like you can't imagine. And I use it to make cold noodles or sweet potato soups.
bunnyb
was just coming in to say I loathe cabbage! although I'm going to have buttered cabbage with limerick ham and scallion mash at a scottish restaurant as I have faith it will be prepared properly. I do like brussel sprouts however and Christmas wouldn't be the same without them; saying that, i drown everything in gravy.
grenadine
yuefie, my friend who went to chef school taught me this similar way to prepare almost any veg, and they all (esp. brussels sprouts and summer squash) come out delicious. toss in a heavy bottomed pan with olive oil, a small amount of water, salt, and garlic if you like, sprinkle a pinch of sugar and toss again, then cook on high heat with the lid on until the water is gone. the only hard part is putting the right amount of water, but it's beautiful (slightly caramelised, perfectly seasoned) every time.
bunnyb
I'm going through my peanut butter (organic) and JAM phase just now as it's not a childhood thing here.
pixiedust
Does anyone else like whole grilled onions? I core them and add a beef bullion cube, 1 clove of garlic, and some butter and wrap them in tin foil and grill them...Yummy!
mornington
hence my addiction to spicy food... my parents started me young. there was no food mum wouldn't try me on. She now accepts my dislikes on the grounds that I really have tried them. I still took vegemite sandwiches to school though (oh god, peanut butter and jam is just wrong). Even if kids still order from the kids menu (hell, fish fingers are still divine) I hate seeing them turn up thier noses at anything that deviates from the bland. Oh, and ketchup is banned from my kitchen, unless there are chips. I was weirded out by people who put ketchup on anything except chips... like spaghetti or mac'n'cheese.

tonight, i ate... spaghetti, with a little chopped garlic, mange tout, green beans, brocolli and spinach - all steamed - with soft cheese, black pepper, and a mix of parmesan and cheddar on the top.
grenadine
i'm not going to diss the peanut butter...i just can't do it unless it's in savouries like groundnut soup or curries. something about peanut butter + sweet really turns me off. perhaps i'm just missing something. but i do think american child foods are overwhelmingly sweet (even the tomato sauce is loaded with corn syrup) and it tastes bad to me!
msp
I bake whole onions with a little butter, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Deeeeelicious.
bunnyb
the sweetness cuts the taste: it's like cheese with digestives.

I love mange tout and spinach. Spinach and feta bagel...
msp
QUOTE(yuefie @ Nov 16 2006, 04:39 PM) *

As a kidc I hated cooked carrots because of how mushy they always seemed to be, until I had them prepared well as an adult.

Good Eats has what might be my favorite cooked carrot recipe, aside from just roasting them.
mornington
bunny, have you seen those little hovis digestive biscuits *drool*. with cheddar. divine.
I can remember at school, we had an apple and a chunk of stilton as desert once a week... now that is good food.

I like peanut butter - on toast, in soup, anyhow. just not with jam. we get through a jar every couple of weeks in this house and it's just me and the dog. biggrin.gif

yuefie
I too enjoy the occasional PB&J sammich and they sound an awful lot like MSP's version. Thanks for the carrot recipe. I heart Good Eats & more specifically, Alton Brown!

Oh, here is something that sounds dreadful, but I must admit is deelicious. Peanut butter on a burger. My sis used to work for a restuarant when we were in highschool that served a Rory burger, which is topped with peanut butter and bacon. She was far more finicky of an eater than I was, and she raved about it. But I just couldn't bring myself to try it. We recently went to a fifties themed diner with my niece and lo and behold there was the Rory burger on the menu. She promised me that if I didn't like it she would switch meals with me, pay for it all and even buy dinner the next few times we went out. So naturally I tried it and like so much I couldn't hide the fact that I was indeed enjoying it wink.gif

I love bagels with whipped cream cheese, chopped scallions and sliced tomatoes for breakfast.

pollystyrene
I never got into the salt on fruit thing (tomatoes, watermelon, etc.) but a tomato and cream cheese sandwich, bunny- that sounds wonderful. I could just sit down and eat a block of cream cheese by itself. It's so good. It's nearly half the reason I eat lox & bagels....lox, raw onions and tomatoes are the other reason.

Never tried it, but the grilled onion recipe sounds good Pixie- I love onions.

PB & J- love it.
yuefie
I don't really like plain salt on fruit, but love oranges and mango with lemon juice and pico, which is a salty chile powder you sprinkle on fruits & veggies. It's also fab on cukes and jicama. We are so close to the Tijuana border that it's common to find prepared plates of fruits and veggies with slices of lemon and pico to sprinkle on top in markets and cafeterias. They have saved me many a time when having to dine on hospital cafeteria chow.
lucizoe
My brother's favorite food-related activity as a toddler was sucking a salted lemon.

Totally random, but I have yet to find an overwhelmingly positive response when the topic of borscht is raised. Anyone else of Eastern European peasant descent have scary Polish grandmas foisting this on them at a young, impressionable age?

I love it now, but Mr.Luci won't touch it. Vinegar? Cabbage? Beets? Are you insane??? How could you not love this stuff?? wink.gif I made it the other day and did him the courtesy of keeping the kitchen window open and burning spice oil in the living room.

Beet love.

I am having a difficult time imagining the taste of peanut butter burger, although I am not repulsed.

*ponders*
pollystyrene
Look no further, lucizoe! My dad's side of the family is Jewish, and remember when I said I would eat just about everything when I was a kid? Yeah, that included beet borscht, gefilte fish, sardines out of a can, lox & bagels, matzo ball soup (who doesn't like that, though?) and kishkes. There is nothing that makes me happier in the summer than ice cold beet borscht with a dollop of sour cream, chopped cucumber, and I recently discovered how good it is with a little mint. And Le Boy doesn't like it, so I get it all to myself- even better! And sweet & sour cabbage soup? Oy vey, is that good. My parents make it from scratch and I need to learn how so I can make it for myself!
lucizoe
Yay polly! cabbage love!
mornington
pickled
red
cabbage

mmmmm

and i like sucking lemons
grenadine
i like borscht and i LOVE matzo ball soup. mmm...with grated, not sliced carrots and tons of dill. but i'm not convinced about the cabbage, except for chinese cabbage.

pomegranates. at my house we're crazy for pomegranates.
doodlebug
Borscht! OMG! Russian side of the family is all about the borscht! I never understood it myself. Grandpa loved it, and mama still does. I never took to it - I'm not a big fan of cooked cabbage - but I'm a big fan of pilmeni and piroshki (the latter of which wikipedia has wrongly confused with pierogi). Mama buys both at the Russian bazaar every year and keeps them in the freezer till I visit. It's very kind of her to wait; if t'were me, I'd prolly eat them all up!

ETA: peanut butter on celery sticks is actually a yummy snack. Even better is celery with almond butter or cashew butter. Oh, and I also make a great Thai stir fry using peanut butter. I don't like the kind of peanut butter with sugar added, so I always buy the "naturals."
pepper
holy crap, i go out and come back to SIX pages of foodie talk. wow.

let's see if i can do this in order...

raspberry cheesecake icecream, ooh, dreamy.
i love mushrooms of all kinds, 'specially enoki. even canned ones. that's a kind of mouth slimy that i actually like (sorry all!).
ripe bell peppers only, but i do like green ones in chili. that's the only dish though.
i LOVE celery, i am craving it all the time these days, raw or cooked. i had to make a cream of celery soup the other day because i have eaten so many hearts and teeny stalks and had tons of outer ribs crowding up the fridge!
i don't know if i like eggplant, every time i have ever eaten it it's made me barf so i haven't eaten it in years.
olives, oooh, a top of the list item. in oil, brine, sundried, canned. i love them ALL!

plouts? grapples? asparoccoli? what freaking planet am i on here? i've never even heard of any of that stuff! gross.
and nectarines are not a frankenfruit. it's a strange inexplicable random thing that happens to peach trees. sometimes one will just grow a branch of nectarines. that branch can be rooted and grown into a tree and will grow nectarines but the pits of nectarines will grow peaches. weird eh? a tree dude told me that. maybe he was pulling my leg but i don't think so.
okra is so gross. that's a kind of mouth slime i don't like.
oysters too. maybe they're delicious but i can't get past the fact that they look like something someone else coughed up. ugh.
canned cheese? never heard of that either. yuck.
cheese on veggies, oh, that song about don't drown your food is running through my mind. i don't like that either.
love cabbage and brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, i love them all.
pixie, onions. umm, yumm.
grenadine, that veg grill recipe is awesome. ever try it was halved or quartered tomatillo? so delicious.
there's a peanut sauce burger at a place in town, not for far from a peanut butter burger. i can see it tasting alright.
i used to LOVE salt on apples. a favourite childhood snack.
borscht. you're talking to a convert. beet love indeed.

and now it's time to make some dinner. good luck deciding what to have eh? i've listed half of what there is in the fridge, how to choose, how to choose?
lucky me the kid isn't all that fussy. even if he was though i wouldn't be letting him get away with the grilled cheese only diet. he can only eat that crap if I make it for him. he's getting broccoli. ha ha.
pixiedust
All this talk about cabbage...my brother just adopted a little boy from Korea. When I was at their house last weekend they had me try this stuf...I don't know what it is called, but someoen on here might...it is teh traditional side dish for everything in Korea. It is cabbage that they cook with some other stuff and hot sauce and then they litterally put it in buckets to "rot" for several months before eating it. I was really hesitatnt about eating "rotten" cooked cabbage, but I figured, hey, it doesn't kill teh Koreans. It was actually kind of tastey.
raisingirl
KIMCHI!

What do I win?

p.s. I've been known to eat a whole head of Napa cabbage (my favorite kind) for dinner... chiffonade it, cook it up in some salted water until it's soft, drain and pat dry to remove more water, toss with butter, salt, and pepper. Heap it onto a big dinner plate and you are in total bliss (or at least I am).
pepper
ooh, now i want cabbage And kimchi! i miss all the food i used to get in the city like ethiopian enjira pancake, mmmm.
doodlebug
I miss talking about Eddie Izzard.

*kicktoe*
pollystyrene
I just can't get into kimchi, or most Korean food- I just don't like the flavor pallet they use. I like/love just about every other Asian cuisine, but haven't found any Korean dish that I really love.

Ethiopian food on the other hand, Pepper- I just tried it for the first time a few weeks ago and I've been dreaming of it ever since. The place I went to had these great collard greens and lentil sambusas (not together- separate dishes.) Sooooo good- droooool.

And Eddie Izzard- drool some more!
grenadine
i was once eating ethiopian with a friend of a friend who said, "i love ethiopian food! it's like a dirty diaper only you get to eat it!"
edna
Hey, I'm late to the discussion, but I just wanted to mention that 'frankenfruits' is a term that, IMHO, should be used for genetically modified stuff. And not for hybrids or grafted fruits (which is what nectarines are, I'm pretty sure. they hybridized spontaneously, but now fruit growers graft them). Regular old grapefruit is a natural hybrid (occurred spontaneously) of the pummelo and the orange. Stuff like pluots weren't 'invented' in a lab, but there are many weirdly modified things on the market now.

Those "Grapple" things are just regular old apples 'infused' with grape juice. WTF? What's wrong with regular old apples?

Anyway...I had an elderly relative from Russia who liked to get fresh raw tomatoes from the garden, cut them in slices, and sprinkle them with sugar. 'Sprinkle' might not be the right word; he put a lot of sugar on them. Could never bring myself to try it. Seems disgusting!
auralpoison
You know, I thought I had food issues. From reading the past several pages, clearly I do not. It seems I'll eat goddamned anything except cheese food, frankenveg, & bananas. Smell/texture thing with the nanners. I like my eggs cooked hard, but I do like to make soft boiled eggs with grilled asparagus for breakfast & dip the asparagus into the yolk. I don't like beets, but do enjoy good borscht. I don't like green peppers on/with anything, but I eat them like apples raw.

I grew up eating flavourless crap because my mom had a sensitive stomach & we lived in Pisswah, where the closest to ethnic food was Americanized Chinese or Mexican. As an adult I have developed a pretty good palate & have gotten to sample the joys of world cuisine, TWBJ. I now find that many foods I hated growing up I love, my mom was just a shite cook.

The grapples are a response to the whole American addiction to sugar. "Hey Bob, how do we make theses apples better?" Fill 'em with sugar water cos they could be sweeter!
girlygirlgag
Cabbage- Blegh! Brussel Sprouts- Blegh! Lima Beans- Blegh!

I cannot do those. I like sauer kraut and kimchi though.

I ate raw skate fish at a Korean Restaurant once......NOt a good idea. It tasted like pencil erases bathed in hot onion sauce.

One reason I am so jealous of Beyonce is because she has a lifetime mebership to Popeyes Chicken. She eats free there for LIFE. I fucking LOVE POPEYES! The chicken, a side of redders and rice and fried okra = heaven.

My step son is the pickiest eater ever! He was started on veggies, and they had to stop because he was going to starve to death. He likes meat. That is the only form of new food I can get him to try. He won't even eat mashed potatoes.

My girl is better though. She eats a lot of new things, as long as they are not spicy.

I make wonderful mac and cheese with gorganzola, goat, guyeire, munster, and gouda cheeses. mmmmm, stinky.
maddy29
wowzah! i didn't realize what i was starting when i joked about pie! daaang, y'all love to talk about pie! hee hee:)

i really appreciated faith's post-you said it so much better than i ever could. excellent points, you should keep that and just copy and paste it next time this happens smile.gif

i actually think we should create a food thread, separate from the troll thread. cause, it seems like people REALLY like to talk about food smile.gif

raisingirl
There is already a food thread that is being sorely neglected.

I also bumped up the Flamewar thread, but no one seems to be woman enough to take me up on the challenge.
wombat
I'm with ya on the "growing up with flavorless crap cause mom had a sensitve stomach" , aural!!

Plus it was just your ignorant, old-fashioned way of eating. We didn't really chow down on fast food or frozen dinners much, and my mom at least took care to get really nice sliced ham at the grocery instead of baloney or something, but we had cold cereal for breakfast -- she thought my dad was weird for wanting eggs -- flabby fake wheat bread, margarine nad processed peanut butter for lunch, or creally crappy salad with iceberg lettuce nad cellotomatos -- they make tomatoes that are hard and flavorless specifically so they will ship on a truck, mornington, and they make tomato sauce out of real tomatoes -- hence the differnece!

We had nothing but canned and frozen vegetables -- I used to just think that I didn't like vegetables. And we had fairly good meat. So, I would favor meat, potatoes , sweets and orange juice -- aplles and cider in sseason. When we ate out, we'd have good seafood like scallops, swordfish and --- baked potato with butter.

No wonder I was so skinny growing up! but if I go in the Russion or Columbian stores here, they just have a lot of root vegetables, canned crap, pork products, and sweets, sweets, sweets. so, I think it's the bad old days hangover when people had a higher risk of starvation

I loved moving out of my folks house and discovering peppers, onlions, mushrooms, garlic, real cheese, bagels, all kinds of spices, real vegetables, big egg etc breakfasts, italian, mexican, japanese,real butter, real coffee, ooh, could go on and on.

At this point, I don't like olives v. much still, also, husky green flavorless veggies like celery and cabbage creep me out, though kimchee is okay. I suppose lima beans, eggplant, okra and tofu are okay if they're mixed well into something.

I used to love all kinds of mushrooms but now am a little put off.

At this point, I eat no -- or very rare -- canned or frozen food, no fast food, no flabby white bread, no crackers, chios, cookies, candies, no pizza (although I love pizza - it's my temptation) no soda pop. It chills me to think of kids eating "Lunchables" gross. I don't thinnk I would have liked that even as a kid.

Sometimes I'll give into chocolate,but that's it.

Ice cream turns me into the snot monster. Milk, sugar, cold, thick, in huge amounts? Ack. I'll have one or two servings in the summer and that's it.
bunnyb
I think it was sixelacat who said re mushrooms "I don't trust anything that grows in the dark and feeds on shit". bwah-ha-ha! I still love them, though. Stuffed mushrooms with pesto, tomatoes and cheese? mmmm.

I LOVE ice cream (no, really?) but I have an issue: I have a sensitive throat and I can only get so far (with really cold drink too) before it starts hurting and I have a coughing fit.

I feel sorry for barefoot and precocious too but that thread seems to be for really serious talk about food! saying that, I was loathe to post the following there in case of derailment but this is a free for all anyway wink.gif:

What do people think of others who manipulate people's love for food? I know someone who treats cooking like competition, who puts on a spread that has to better everyone else's (my friend calls the book group they attend "food group" as it is more about who can surpass the previous feast and therefore be "one-up") and same person put on a huge spread during a uni seminar once, I think with the intent to butter people up but also to detract from the fact that she wasn't saying anything of interest. Anyway, I don't have a high opinion of this person but it did make me think how people -or perhaps only women- use food to their advantage, as a tool for manipulation and I wondered what others thought of this? I was also struck by the comments directed to us in the past by asshats who Q the fact that we turn to food in debate. Is it a comfort topic? or just fun? Is it anti-feminist (not my view but psychofemme's) or a re-embracing of feminists of something that has often been used against them or defined them?
pepper
raisin, that's more of a recipe and gourmet foody thread though, isn't it? and the What You Ate thread is about what you actually ate, right?
i like this thread right here. when we need it to talk about trolls, there it is, right at the top of the list and full of lovely distractions from being pissed. it's a good thing.

bananas are freaking GROSS! i loathe those slimy, mushy, nasty little suckers. ugh.

hybrid and frankenfruit are totally, completely different. a nectarine or a grapefruit didn't have scorpion dna added to it like some tomatoes have. there is a reason i buy so much organic. tomatoes, potatoes, corn, soy, wheat, big genetically modified crops. others just get such a huge amount of pesticides, apples, strawberries, grapes, etc. i can't eat that stuff. it's bathed in chemmies the whole time it's growing. it's like eating fruit covered in flea spray. literally.

i want a big egg breakfast right now. mmmm.

eta
bunny, i think that no matter what we said it would be "turned against us" by certain people who are just looking for ways to justify their own bad behavoir. it's like having an arguement with "that person", you know, the irrational one to whom Nothing that's said is right or ok. they can turn anything into a point of contention. you remember highschool, right? there just isn't a right answer, no matter what you say.
i love that we let the arguement go when it's over and lighten things up with something fun. no one tells anyone else to shut up about it, we just all move on when we've said all we had to say about it. that's what i see anyhow.

if all someone has to offer is something delicious, well, that's better than a kick in the pants. everyone is talented in their own way. not everybody can be a brilliant conversationalist, but most of us make souffle fall in the oven so... i appreciate whatever it is that someone has to offer. that said, i don't enjoy one-upmanship very much. when it's done with joy that's one thing, done with a competative heart is something else.
pixiedust
Bunny, interesting questions you raised. I don't think there is anything unfeminist about using food to quash a debate. Afterall, we are hardly talking about steroetypical 1950's housewife meat and potatoes sort of stuff. I'm constantly amazed by the variety of what I consider "high end" foods that come up here that I have never tried! I was raised on country cooking..every breakfast was eggs and bacon and toast, every dinner had a meat, a startch, a vegetable, a bread, and a dessert. Mr. pixie and I just don't eat that way. So we are always interested in finding new foods to try. I had never even had Indian Food until RoseViolet's bridal shower..and now it is one of my favorites.
And I think it goes back to the analogy someone used the other day about us being at a party. People gather around food to talk. You'll have the buffet hoverers, the group in one corner sipping martinis, the person circulating the Hor Devours...I think there is a bonding that goes on.
Everyone has to eat, it's not unfeminist to want to eat the best you can! Instead of dwelling on the media telling us we need to be skinny, we are enbracing life, embracing our food, and savoring it all, with the company of some wonderful women.
wombat
I know what Bunny's talking about though! I was once with a group of women that wanted to get together for feminist spirituality meetings every full moon.

We were also going to have a potluck dinner beforehand. Well, it sooned turned into some sort of god-awful "who's the most precious boss of us all" fest. I was already complaining about this in another thread --bone to pick, I think it was, so some of you will have heard this before, but, I once showed up only to be told "WE decided we're not going to have wine anymore!" As I was standing there with it IN MY HAND, and, we hadn't talked about it at a previous meeting, so, they meant they had just called each other up and I'd better go along with what they said, as well as the inexcusable rudeness of rejecting at the door what one of your guests has brought.

Also, I called up from work one day, where I was meeting a print deadline for a freelance client, and said, I'm sorry, I'm going to be late, I have to finish this, they're paying me 30 dollars an hour. They said it was fine, and as I was making my way home in my dorky navy dress and pantyhose and pumps, it started to snow. And there was no way I could put some big fancy dish in the tiny shared refrigerator at work esp. when I didn't even know the people there.

Everybody had such radically different long lists of things they could eat and things they couldn't eat and things they were dying to eat but were trying to stop eating so don't bring them around and things they didn't believe in eating etc., I couldn't even find a reasonable compromise at the nice take-out buffet section of the gourmet supermarket. So, I brought chips and salsa.

As I was hanging up my coat in the hall, I heard one of them say loudly "I can't BELIEVE all she brought was CHIPS."

When I brought home-made ratatouille the next week -- don't even bother to ask me why I kept showing up even as long as I did, -- I guess I thought they seemed feminist and smart and cool and if they didn't trust me at first, they would after they got to know me -- I was greeted with an odd silence -- like, I had been such a selfish, ignorant fuck up, and then here I was besting them with a french vegetarian dish. One of them informed me later that SHE had tried to make ratatouille TOO, but her stupid husband bought the wrong tomatoes.

It just went on and fucking on. Some women just freak out about food and act like total princesses. You might get criticized for bringing something too rich and fatty, or for something that's too healthy and plain, or one of them has to know the precise history of any and all cheese, and one has to have vegan, and one thinks, hey, what the hell, we're all kinda overweight and trying to lose it, so let's have fun just this once a month while we're together and bring home made chocolate goodness, and others are like, I can't *believe* you're trying to sabotage my gym and biking and yogalatees classes with all your JUNK!

I even got dinged for bringing coconut macaroons to a dinner party with 30 people -- "MARCY doesn't LIKE coconut!!" So what? Is she five years old? Did I stuff it in her mouth? Did all thirty of us bring nothing but coconut, just to be mean to Marcy, so now she just has to sit there starving and watching us eat?

!!!!

Issues, Issues, Issues.

I suppose what the trolls are fussing about is that we don't hate people for being fat and we don't exhibit particular food issues, we try to be healthy and happy with what we eat -- oh, women used to traditionally cook, so if you're a real feminist, you should eat nothting but power bars and McDonald's take out, or whatever. But I think men had better cook or get someone to cook with/for them that knows about good food TOO .

It's just part of being a healthy human being.

I'm overweight 5'6", 170 lbs., but I'm trying to lose it -- eating well and going to the gym for health, energy, looks, and to ward off diabetes and dementia and other things. I busted ass last night at yoga and on the elliptical and am going back today to lift weights.

It doesn't mean I hate fat people, cause I understand how hard it is to lose it. It just crept up on me.

I also don't hate skinny people. Some people are skinny and healtthy and not bitchy. Some people are skinny and they are starving themselves, and that's really sad, also, some binge and purge, and also, some don't quite have an eating disorder but they are deceiving themselves a bit, not quite getting the amounts and nutrients they need, only eating about half of what they need to eat and smoking cigarettes. My mom was like that. She would have toast, a bowl of soup, a small crappy salad, and a sandwich. And lots of cigarettes and instant coffee. She was really nervous, and really weak, and constantly caught colds, and never exercised, and got a lot of body aches and stomach aches and constipation, and died of cancer when she was 53. Oh, but she was skinny, by god! And so arrogant about it.

pixiedust
People do have food issues...a lot of them! Maybe that's why I like talking to all the busties about food. I mean, you have all those different personalities and issues in here and yet...we almost all like pie! I dunno..I realized last night that I am finally at a place in my life where I am pretty comfortable with my weight and my looks and who I am as a person...none of which are perfect, and I think the trolls who seem to have the biggest problem with the food talk are just projecting their own self image issues.
bunnyb
I'm really interested in this and need to give it more thought; I just don't get why food can be such a contentious issue (especially amongst women).

wombat, the issue with the wine was lacking in etiquette - what's dinner without wine?! Although it did annoy me that when that particular person (ex-friend) made dinner I also had to contribute to food shopping and provide wine AND sometimes dessert every time.

my friend is hosting their book group this month and she is feeling an unbearable pressure to provide a spread but realises she doesn't need to(and doesn't have the time and thinks it shouldn't be the focus) so is providing chip and dip and maybe potato wedges; she's also not buying the wine because last time noone brought any.

what pixie said resonated with me too: food (varied diet) and class often go hand in hand -maybe less so these days but certainly a generation ago- when healthy food can be prepared on a shoe-string. Although, for the most part, I think it comes down to convenience for a lot of poorer people, as well as lack of nutritional education.

uk busties (mornington, looking at you!), what do you think of the Jamie Oliver furore? I think he is providing a socially and health conscious service but is receiving such criticism for it (schoolkids in soaps are criticising him - v topical!)
wombat
I want to clarify that I showed up with a good fair share of food AS WELL AS wine, and a couple other things besides chips, so I wasn't just spending less/doing less/eating *their* food and not contributing.

Like I woulld show up with a rice and chicken dish as well as the coconut macarroons, etc. If I HAD been really stingy, then their criticism would be justified -- I showed up with several items each time, not JUST a bottle of wine or something, but they would always find one thing to pick at.

This was particularly aggravating because at other group events, two of the wealthiest members would bring absolutely nothing -- and somehow, the rest of us were supposed to fill in for them.

It's true that it's cheaper and faster to grab for fattier food when you're poor -- cheap sources of protein tend to have unhealthy side ingredients -- but it's quite likely that wealthy and middle class people will eat bad food as well -- I bet we all know some eccentric intellectual guy who is paying so much to maintain his inherited house -- or is a calorie restriction advocate -- that he's eating practically nothing but eggs, crackers, celery etc, while some poor people take great care to shop at Haymarket (cheap vegetables farmers market here in Boston) , and buy brown rice instead of pasta and potatoes, cuz it's actually cheaper.

Perhaps what I used to call 'the bland white-people food" until I met black people and South Americans who ate it! should be called "tradtional country food" because, sadly, if you live in a small town, you often have access to fresh stuff only when it's in season locally, otherwise it's not shipped in or is too expensive, as there is not much of a job market or social services out there.

I think it's another funny issue about the junk food in schools -- esssentially the schools sell it to augment their budget. I went to a well-regarded free, community school in an affluent community, and there were no soda machines, candy, or fast-food pizza like things available at all! It was milk, bland cafeteria food, or what you bring, and that's it! Maybe it's generational -- I went to school in the sixties and seventies.

The other thing is, people pay so much for their housing and medical care and education -- the costs have increased four-fold in the last 15 years -- that they skimp on food, they buy the cheaper, fattier stuff. Then you see lot of self-righteous editorials about how they are just ignorant and sittng around watching TV and that's why there are more fat people in America -- it's those ignorant, lazy, tv-watching poor people, THAT's it. And then they compiled statistics and realized that upper class Americans also have a much higher percentage of overweight people now. Whoops.

In America, at least, they don't want to admit that people eating bad quality food and becoming overweight is a consequence of unchecked gouging, robber-baron like, by the real estate, medical and higher education professionals. They will never never say that --- kischke gelt, the jewish people call it -- stomach money, but instead of starving for essentials, people are eating crap food and getting fat for essentials.

At least, somewhat. When i was poor, I'd shovel down a lot of pasta, because it was cheap and satisfying. We've had good food for a long time now, but...

Really. The staving peasants are now the chubby peasants, and go all the way up the class ladder.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.